OOC Discussion

In 1880, Africa is yet to be fully explored. The source of the Nile, Lake Victoria, has been discovered, but much of central Africa is a blank map, ripe for exploration. The motives are many; scientific fame, economic exploitation, or even spreading the word of the Lord.

Sir Archibald Winston-Smythe is a venerable emeritus professor of anthropology and history at the British Museum. Part of the first wave of explorers he is now far too infirm to travel again. And yet he has heard tales and talk from others who have carved deep into the Jungle. Rumours of depraved tribes and horrible cults cannot escape his notice.

In good standing and influence, he has commissioned another expedition into the very heart of Africa, past Lake Victoria and to the root of these strange stories, ostensibly for the progress of science and understanding, but also to determine the truth or otherwise of the stories of such locales. This hidden agenda is only alluded to, for the full horrors that bubble underneath are not for the ears of the brave men (or women) who will go boldly where no civilised man (or woman) has gone before.

Moderator: Supercape

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: OOC Discussion

Post by Mr. Handy »

Aging increases your EDU, not your INT. We don't get smarter as we get older, we just know more stuff. ;)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Priest »

Mr. Handy wrote:Aging increases your EDU, not your INT. We don't get smarter as we get older, we just know more stuff. ;)
Double whoops!!! Thanks Mr H I'll sort it :oops:
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Post by Supercape »

Ok we look good to start! 3 PCs, 2 NPCs.

I shall set this off!

A couple of notes:

My personal preference is for all OOC discussion to happen here, so that the IC threads look like a novel. No need to do that, but it helps me feel like a novelist ;)

I'm setting up an extra thread for documents, books, etc. Feel free to add to this if you want to use those journals and sketchbooks, posting exerts from your diary or so on. Obviously becoming more deranged as times go on. I'm going to keep various letters and documents with a spoiler effect, as not everybody can read them.

Please also make any suggestions about direction of the thread, and things you would like to happen, I will do my best!

Onward!
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

To set off, a dinner. Bring your best bow tie and sweat in the heat.

I am going to suggest that at present, Mr Singh, Captain Burton, Mr Castairs, and Dr Wessex are the core of the expedition. Mr Sidhom is their contact in Cairo.

Mr Sidhom is going to recommend Baxter as an addition; whilst he is a gin swilling rapscallion, Baxter also has a reputation of getting things done and knowing Africa extremely well. In fact, Mr Sidhom has invited Baxter to the meal (at his expense), and given him an ill fitting dinner Jacket and Tie.

Let the introductions commence. Any suggestions, let me know. Aside from getting to know everyone, the conversation may turn towards practicalities of the mission, and the rumours alluded to in Sir Winston Smythes letter to Captain Burton. Please feel free to have narrative licence for the thread as you wish.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by Tabs »

Yeah, I'll do it--post ooc stuff here, ic stuff over there. I like to pretend I'm a novelist, too!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

What I do in my games is use the Spoiler-Button tag for all OOC stuff in the IC thread. It conceals the OOC information, but it's right there if you want to see it.
OOC,Like this.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Got you :)

I have no objection to doing that. My personal preference in PbM games is to keep everything that is not directly IC in OOC (portraits, spoilers, etc). Simply because I like the IC thread to look as much like an uninterrupted, uncluttered narrative as possible. My inclination is that doing this makes it easier to read for everyone (including people not in the thread); and for me it has the subtle effect of making it feel more like a story game.

That said, my overarching principle that overrides that is just do it. i.e. whatever you fancy! :P
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Take a look at the missive, and tell me what you all think."
It is in the Letters, Books, Notes etc. topic under a Spoiler button.
Last edited by Tabs on Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Sorry for the slight railroading / scene hurrinying here! All the logistics are however now sorted.

For reference the basic plan for expedition is to sail down the Nile (hire a boat and captain of your choice) and then trek the rest. At point of leaving the Nile and going on foot, you will have to start rationing your equipment and provisions (although I hope we wont get too technical with that).

For now, as Captain Burton has shared Winston Smythes letter, do feel free to look at it in the appropriate thread.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I do understand and appreciate wanting to keep the non-story parts out of the story, but I do like to keep the portraits. It lets everyone know which character is speaking/acting.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

The Sidhom Fragments book is also up in the "Books, Letters, Etc" thread. Feel free to check it out; if you want to play with the mystery, check out the spoiler section with an Arabic Language Roll!

The book is short so can be skimmed very quickly (this evening). It can be fully read in a week (rather short from a rules perspective, but plot...)

Of course Sidhom is at your service, so he can pretty easily arrange access to the Cairo museum and Library (as he is one of the curators), or even a trip to (and into) the Pyramids and Sphinx.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Arabic roll for Burton (30%) [dice]0[/dice]

Supercape, you asked for comments: I find that there is too much info. too soon, it's hard to digest it all, question and talk about. What does everyone think?
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Tabs wrote:

Supercape, you asked for comments: I find that there is too much info. too soon, it's hard to digest it all, question and talk about. What does everyone think?
An entirely reasonable comment. Hopefully that is an product of the initial bit of scene setting, which has also meant a bit of railroading. I hope that it will resolve to a more even pace imminently - but do keep me updated on that.

And on that note, I am taking the foot of the accelerator! Sidhom has dropped just about all he can drop in terms of exposition. The scene is now up to you. Please let me know when you would like a scene cut. In principle the expedition won't set off for a week or two, but you are of course free to scene cut directly to that; or to anything else you would like to do. For now, still in the evening meal, to digest / question / talk!

(I'm still finding my feet here, so all feedback and comments taken on board!)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I didn't find that there was too much information, but I felt things moved too quickly. I hardly had a chance to post the last couple of days because I was working, and my only chance to get online and post was briefly at night. Now I'm off from work for the next week, so I should have more time for the next few days. However, I probably won't be able to post at all after I leave for my convention on July 1.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

No problem; I think the game will largely or completely be 9 hiatus whilst you are at convention.

Apologies for the rush; I suspect it is as above, my urge to rid myself of necessary exposition at the beginning. It's done now :) please continue redirecting me.
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

And on that note folks, let me know if you would like a scene cut - it seems either to the Pyramids or the Museum of Cairo but if you would like anywhere else that's also fine.

As Sidhom is rather (and unusually) fearful of the Pyramids, you might need a persuade roll to bring him along - but he will certainly arrange for you to go, perhaps with guide into the interior.

For now Ill keep camera on the hotel :)
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Yes, I think Mr. Handy's comment is right, but I also accept Supercape's point about scene-setting.
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Looks like this scene is drawing to a close, with a visit to the Museum of Cairo next? Ill wait for MrHandy to comment then scene cut there?
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Ready for scene cut?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin