OOC Discussion

In 1880, Africa is yet to be fully explored. The source of the Nile, Lake Victoria, has been discovered, but much of central Africa is a blank map, ripe for exploration. The motives are many; scientific fame, economic exploitation, or even spreading the word of the Lord.

Sir Archibald Winston-Smythe is a venerable emeritus professor of anthropology and history at the British Museum. Part of the first wave of explorers he is now far too infirm to travel again. And yet he has heard tales and talk from others who have carved deep into the Jungle. Rumours of depraved tribes and horrible cults cannot escape his notice.

In good standing and influence, he has commissioned another expedition into the very heart of Africa, past Lake Victoria and to the root of these strange stories, ostensibly for the progress of science and understanding, but also to determine the truth or otherwise of the stories of such locales. This hidden agenda is only alluded to, for the full horrors that bubble underneath are not for the ears of the brave men (or women) who will go boldly where no civilised man (or woman) has gone before.

Moderator: Supercape

Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 9 years

Re: OOC Discussion

Post by Supercape »

As well as the bargaining for regular guns above; it does strike me that whilst selling a Gatling Gun to a tribe is clearly outrageous. It is a very fine brand of outrageous. If you do feel like going wild and stealing Camp Verne's Gatling Gun, then we can do so!

Ill wait on replies as to further action. If someone wants to ply Scar for information or so forth, which is a fine idea, let me know!
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Priest »

I will try him with a smattering of Nilo-Sharan and see if there is any response 21%
Nilo-Saharan language: 21%: 1d100 36 Whoops!
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Well you get some basics from Scar, as Baxter is such a rogue! but not the esoterics.

Anyone can make an Anthropology roll:
Spoiler:
Scar's facial scars are likely some kind of ritual ward against bad spirits / witchcraft - their pattern symbolises protection. In a ritual involving the tribes witchdoctor, tattoos and knives, the ward can be inscribed permanently on your cheeks/face.

Whether it works or not - who knows? If you want to carve out your cheeks you can try! :)
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by Tabs »

Anthropology 50% [dice]0[/dice]

BTW going to the beach for the day tomorrow.
:)
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Enjoy the sunshine. Some of us have to work! Boo! Hiss!
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Great stuff folks.

So, it looks like it is shaping up into a Gun Running Expedition to the Crocodile People and take it from there?

If so I would probably need a bargain roll to see the quality of guns you get for your money (if somebody wants to make that roll?)

You may also wish to consider the expedition at this point:

People who want to come (for love, money, or madness)

The PCs
Doctor Wessex
Mr Singh the Manservant
? Sven the Preacher + ? Britt his daughter (Probably only so far as the Crocodile People)
? The Lovestruck Amilia

People who may come if persuaded to? (either by skill or argument)

Scar the cabin boy (would need a reason, maybe revenge?)
Lt Franc (to supervise the trade), or possibly one of his deputies.
Chuckles the Chimpanzee (if you feed him, or get him drunk).

People who are very unlikely to come, but am open to suggestion

Captain/Herr Otto (will be looking after the ship and trading with Camp Verne until you come back...err...if you come back)

Open to suggestion of course but just giving a broad summary of where we stand. Of course we can stay at Camp Verne as long as you like! :)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Baxter should probably make that roll, as he gets the +10 bonus.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Persuade 50% Scar, Lt. Franc and Chuckles [dice]0[/dice]
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Looks like Tabs (Burton) has made the check. Why the chimp?
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

The chimp is entirely up to you guys! THere is no reason to take him along, other than to loose sanity when you see its mangled corpse! :) If Baxter wants to get him drunk or Burton wants some comedy relief, the rapscallioin will come.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I wonder, and this is a long shot, if Chuckles is a familiar or product of a spell gone wrong or simply good in a fight?

@Priest, yours was the Bargain roll.

@Everyone, I've forgotten myself why we're going to see the Toad People--will re-read the intro.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Extract from Winston-Smythe's letter to Burton:
But I fear a pattern is emergent. Not enough for the pale comfort of certainty, but rather the kind of gnawing concern that preys on a man, twists his thoughts and plagues his sleep. Alas, I wish I had never read the unwholesome pages of the Necronomicon; I will not speak of the words, for wide and deep are its horrors, and I urge you never to succumb to the urge to peruse its text as I did. But of this I will say, the tales I hear from deepest Africa resound with the words of the mad Arab.

Enough. I will not plague your mind further. But I would ask this of you; that these rumours be determined, the foundation and truth examined. I pray that I am but a mad old man whose wit is decaying, and though that would be a most disagreeable affair, it would still be preferable to the alternative. If such unnameable horror is truly alive, and not merely fancy of imagination, then it should not be disturbed – for it has slept in the deepest recesses of Africa, and should not be awoken!
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Tabs wrote:@Priest, yours was the Bargain roll.
Sadly my Bargain is only basic 05% so even with the +10 (whereever that comes from) it's only going to be 15%, so your roll is always going to beat mine. My thing is Fast Talk but at only 15% I don't think that will help.
Thanks for the refresher as to why we are here. I'd forgotten as well, probably too much gin :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P21PY2x ... RhUzkvcHo9
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Thanks for posting that Tabs; although I would add that this is a request made of you. Your motivations for doing this may be otherwise, or even conflicted (money, glory, fame, personal collection of photographs of "Savage" women, etc etc!)

Is Burton going to try a bargain roll, or did I miss one being made?
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I succeeded at Persuade . . . here's a Bargain roll anyway [dice]0[/dice] successful or not we'll send an invoice to Winston-Smythe. :)

That vid. features Baxter!
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

My bad! I read Persuade as Bargain. Blame the gin!! :oops:

Here is my Bargain roll;
Bargain roll 05+10% (15%): 1d100 55 nope, as I said.
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Baxter manages to procure some poor quality rifles. He gains +10% to his drink gin skill.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

So I think we are approaching a scene cut of a few weeks and many miles into the Jungle? Thoughts?

I make the expidition:

PC'S
Singh
Dr Wessex
Scar
? French second on command plus a couple of soldiers?
? Emilia

Anyone else? (In reference to Burton 's insanity about Chuckles being a totem monkey god)

What do people think of Sven and Britt joining for religious angles?

Priest: I think Emilia would be interesting to join as I see her as a fiery independent woman. If you want her along perhaps flesh her out as an NPC?
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Sven and Britt could add to the party, what? I don't know yet, maybe a damsel in distress. And definitely the monkey god. Also Amelia/Emelia, I think Baxter was considering a trade--white slavery? :evil:

Return to “The Dark Continent”