Eldritch Horror

Shub-Niggurath stirs in her slumber, threatening to awaken as her spawn begin to surface all around the world. Can musician Jim Culver and martial artist Lily Chen prevent the unthinkable, or is the Earth doomed?

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Re: Eldritch Horror

Post by Tabs »

Hooray! Debt Condition + 2 successes: Agency Quarantine acquired, Shoggoth defeated in San Francisco, 2 Clues spent to place Monster upon the Mystery.

Lantern added to the Reserve--this is a fab item for its price.

Change of plan, Jim will try and discard the Debt Condition, Influence 3 [dice]0[/dice]
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 5 Action Phase

In the Cervantes Theatre Jim has to stand from his plush seat to allow a group of bowler-hatted fellows to pass, but, most uncomfortably for Jim, they sit down beside him, lounging nonchalantly; this despite there being row upon row of empty seats.

"My name is Agent McAdams," says square shoulders, introducing himself.

"Jim Culver."

"Sir," continues McAdams earnestly, "there is so little time, I'll 'cut to the chase.' We have a twin-engined, fully fueled aeroplane waiting at Jorge Newbery Airport, ready to take me and my men anywhere . . . just give us the word."

Jim closes his eyes, he can hear the swish of a mop as a stage hand clears up the sticky remains of the scholar who was devoured during the performance of The King in Yellow. "San Francisco," he says, "go to San Francisco and destroy the slug-beast."

"Consider it done, sir."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 5 Encounter Phase
As the steamer chugged through the South Indian Ocean en route to Sydney, Australia, Lily stood on deck at the rail, all of her senses tingling. One of the other passengers stands nearby: a short, furtive man who had told her he wanted to speak to her on deck alone. Naturally suspicious, she approaches him without alerting him to her presence and notices a skull-shaped ring on his hand. She recognizes the symbol as that of the Order of the Death's Head, a secret society that she knows to resort to assassination. So they are involved in this, she thinks, and most likely following me. Forewarned, she avoids the man for the rest of the voyage.
OOC,Clue gained! :D Nicely done solving the first Mystery! It's about time we caught a break.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Jim Culver Turn 5 Encounter Phase. ". . . hissing voices in the dark." Obs. (-1) [dice]0[/dice]
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 5 Encounter Phase
Image Image

The subway car stops and Jim alights to the curb; it pulls away. He turns round, wondering which way back to the docks and his ship. Water trickles into a drain on the roadside, the falling water hisses as if it is splashing upon a subterranean stove. He focuses upon the sound and can discern whispers, he pulls out a pencil stub, licks its point, and scribbles the phrases upon the back of an envelope.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 5 Mythos Phase
Advance the Omen: green comet. Doom advances 1 down to 11.
Monster Surge: Wraith spawned San Francisco, effect: Lead Investigator gains a Cursed Condition. :evil:
Image Image Image
Spawn Clues: Antarctica.

Hunting the Thousand: Mystery solved. :D
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Who's going to be lead investigator in Turn 6? I'll be able to post tomorrow night, but after that I'll be away at a convention until Sunday. I don't know whether or not I'll have Internet access on my laptop or time to read and post while I'm there. My plan is to go to Sydney and Rest, then hopefully boost my Strength (by 2!). I'm largely useless until I get rid of the Cursed Condition. Why couldn't the Wraith have shown up last turn? Then the Agency Quarantine would have gotten it. The next turn I may head to Tokyo to try to defeat the Wraith somehow. I'll never be able to beat it in battle in my condition. Once I get the curse removed, I should be able to get another Clue (maybe in Istanbul) and beat the Goat Spawn in London, but it'll take me a while. There are Clues near you in 12 and Antarctica, but I don't know if you'll be able to beat a Goat Spawn. Maybe if you got the .45 automatic. If you do go for the Clues near you, you might want to pick up a Ship Ticket before you leave Buenos Aires. It'll make it faster to head back north.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Let's have Jim as the Lead Investigator Turn 6. No matter if you haven't time to post. :) Suggestions: Jim could deal with the Wraith, he has Shrivelling and a bonus in Combat and Lantern (soon), while Lily picks up a Clue and makes her way to London? or how about we team up in Buenos Aires, but first Jim picks up a Clue Space 12, together we'd have 2 Clues, and then we destroy the Wraith before moving on to London?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,The Mystery card says only one Investigator can fight the Goat Spawn and spend the two Clues. I'd forgotten about Shriveling, though. I think you should definitely fight the Wraith. You can actually get to San Francisco and fight the Wraith this turn if you spend your first Action getting a Ship Ticket. If you can take it down, that would give me a decent chance at passing my Encounter since you get to go first. Until the curse is lifted, even a normal one is likely beyond me. We can see how Turn 6 shakes out before we make any concrete plans further ahead. Another Clue may pop up somewhere more convenient, or the curse may go away on its own (if I'm insanely lucky). I already have one Clue, so if I can get another (either in Antarctica or Istanbul), I can head for London and take care of the Mystery. I can get there on Turn 9 if everything goes smoothly, or Turn 10 if I stop to Encounter the Expedition in Antarctica.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

The Mystery card says only one Investigator can fight the Goat Spawn and spend the two Clues.
In EH you can trade Clues.

I desire the Lantern, so my plan Turn 6 is Acquire Assets and gain a Ship Ticket, and have another encounter in Buenos Aires. Turn 7 move to San Francisco and cast Poison Mist, destroy the Wraith and encounter the Gate. I suggest that Lily ought to go for the Clue at Istanbul Turn 7, so in Turn 6 go to Cape Town and gain a Train Ticket.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Jim Culver Turn 6 Action Phase: cast Conjuration Spell 3 +1 [dice]0[/dice]
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Image Image acquired from the reserve, replaced by .18 Derringer and Syndicate Agent.

Conjuration Spell card flipped, 2+: Matter bends to your will and reshapes itself as you desire. No additional effect.

2nd Action: gain a Ship Ticket.

Jim speaks aloud the phrase he had just scribbled upon the envelope, there is a flash but no thunder like a gun has been fired next to his ear and he cannot hear anything except a low, musical "ping" sound. Blue lightning runs in tangles along the tram cables above the street, and then strikes the ground at his feet so that his boots glow and spark. The Ritual ends; Jim's hearing returns; there are screams and the sound of fleeing footsteps as panic overwhelms the pedestrians, "Jesucristo, huir!" Bewildered, he looks around the, now, empty street. Scattered on the sidewalk are newspapers, an umbrella, a still smoking pipe, a ladies shoe, and a lantern and flask-like canister.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Cape Town has no rail connection, so I can't get a Train Ticket there. I wouldn't want to try Istanbul right now anyway, even if the curse weren't there. I'm highly unlikely to beat a Goat Spawn in one turn unless I boost my Strength. I had this much Strength the last time I tried, and I didn't even get a single hit. I still think I should head to Sydney. Before I post my Actions, are you sure you don't want the .45 automatic? You could take a Debt to score that too.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Cape Town has no rail connection, so I can't get a Train Ticket there.
Doh!--imagine a Homeresque exclamation. Carry on to Sydney and improve Lily's Strength. I don't want to gain a Debt Condition so I'll pass on the .45 Automatic; hopefully, when Jim fights the Wraith he'll succeed--there is a good chance: Shriveling + Combat of 2d6--which I can reroll . . . .
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 6 Action Phase
Lily Chen disembarks when the ship arrives in Sydney harbor, the majestic Opera House drawing her attention. She wastes no time in checking into a hotel and again entering a trance to calm and heal herself.
OOC,Action 1: Travel (18->Sydney) Action 2: Rest (Gain 1 Stamina, 1 Sanity) Actually, you can't get a Bank Loan anyway, since that only applies to an Acquire Assets action, and you used Conjuration. Not only that, but Conjuration only allows you to gain one Item or Trinket, not two, of value equal to or less than the test result, which was 2. This means you can't get both the Lantern and the Tear Gas. However, you could get the .45 automatic instead. I recommend that. Poison Mist plus Shriveling should be enough to take down the Wraith, as long as you succeed at those Lore rolls.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Actually, you can't get a Bank Loan anyway, since that only applies to an Acquire Assets action, and you used Conjuration. Not only that, but Conjuration only allows you to gain one Item or Trinket, not two, of value equal to or less than the test result, which was 2. This means you can't get both the Lantern and the Tear Gas. However, you could get the .45 automatic instead. I recommend that.

Everything you said is correct; Tear Gas put back in Reserve and Syndicate Agent returned to the deck. I am sticking with the Lantern though.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,Oooo, I wanted a Spell, I'm due for Blessing of Isis, which would of helped us out. And your card is a toughie, ho hum!
Turn 6 Encounter Phase: Buenos Aires

The lad coming towards Jim suffers from a nervous tic; one half of his face has dropped but the other twitches, his eyebrow trying to hide in his untidy fringe. "Mister," he says in heavily accented English, "I am a student at the university, it has a copy of the," he looks behind himself, back down the street, and all around, "Necromonicon."

"I've heard of it," answers Jim, wondering what it is about him that attracts oddballs.

"If you share what you know, I will, in exchange, share what I have learned."

Jim doubts the student's story. "I'm sorry, Pedro, but I don't have a clue what you're talking about."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Image Image
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 6 Encounter Phase
Lily sets off into the bush outside the city to do some exploring. Suddenly, she catches sight of a fire ahead. She instinctively turns and runs, but there is fire behind her now too. She tries to flee another way, but she is inexplicably slowed and weakened, and the flames seem to be everywhere. Drawing on all of her reserves, including some she didn't know she had, and clutching her lucky rabbit's foot, she finds a way to get to safety!
OOC,Woohoo! 8-) Strength improves twice!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 1 - Forsaken Lore”