ooc

Shub-Niggurath stirs in her slumber, threatening to awaken as her spawn begin to surface all around the world. Can musician Jim Culver and martial artist Lily Chen prevent the unthinkable, or is the Earth doomed?

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

ooc

Post by Tabs »

I've created the forum here and made you the Keeper. You can also recruit additional players if you like.
Thanks. If this game is a success, and after I've played MoM, I'll try another game with more players.

Do you have Foresaken Lore?

Which character do you want to play?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: IOC

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome. I do have Forsaken Lore. It adds a lot to the game, and it seems to make it more challenging too. I won easily when I played my first game with just the base game, but I was very lucky that time. I haven't yet won with Forsaken Lore added in, though I came extremely close once.

I'd like to play a random character, please.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Re: ooc

Post by Tabs »

I remember that you played Leo in your first game and the Active Expedition was in the Amazon?--now that was lucky! :)

Here is your character:

And I chose Jim Culver:

Who is to be the Lead Investigator?
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Image Image
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, and that was more lucky than I even needed, as I never even used the Gate Box I acquired on that expedition. The real stroke of luck was even earlier on the first turn of the game. Cthylla had risen as the first mystery, and my first Action was to go shopping for Assets. I got two successes on my Influence roll and took out a Bank Loan to get two more so I could buy the Agency Quarantine and defeat Cthylla right away. And that was only half of my first turn; the other half was the expedition. On turn two, I returned to Buenos Aires, and on the third turn I went out to the South Pacific to get a Clue token that I used to solve the second mystery. Then R'lyeh rose right underneath me as the third mystery, and I only needed two turns of exploration to solve it. Poor Cthulhu never stood a chance.

I played Lily Chen in my first game with Forsaken Lore, and that was also against Cthulhu. I started out okay, getting a Clue token out at sea and clobbering a Deep One that attacked me during the Research encounter, but I soon lost my Lucky Rabbit's Foot, and it was all downhill from there. I only managed to solve one mystery before Cthulhu awakened, I think, and I didn't have enough time to stop him from winning.

I have no preference on who should be the Lead Investigator. You can be it if you like, or we can roll randomly.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Lead Investigator? 1-3 Lily, 4-6 Jim (1d6=5)

Who will be the Ancient One? I'd prefer Nyarly, Cthulhu or Yig.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

The Haunted Few, Investigators in MoM: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... ?eidn=5145
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm okay with any Ancient One. I always choose a random one when I play. Either we can select randomly, or you can choose which one you prefer. I've never played against Nyarlathotep before, so that would be new and interesting, but I also had fun playing against Cthulhu and Yig. I've beaten Cthulhu before, and I came agonizingly close to beating Yig when playing as Trish Scarborough. The other two would be fine be me as well.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I've never played against Nyarlathotep before, so that would be new and interesting
Too right! :) I got confused,--must be the dark portrait of these two Ancient Ones--I meant Shub-Niggurath. So, S-N it is.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I haven't played against Shubby yet either. Should be fun.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Re. Turn 1 Action Phase. I Googled Grand Master Hu and Li Xiao thinking that you had specific persons in mind, but couldn't find a kung-fu master or a warlock!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

No, I just made up those NPCs.

I'm going to need an Other World Encounter drawn for the Gate so I can encounter it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Awww nuts! You cannot have an encounter with a monster on your space. Together we've rolled 15d6 without a single 5 or 6, harrumph! I'll post the Mythos Phase later today. Turn 1 has been a waste for us, Jim did gain a Spell though--and a Condition. One thing, if we choose to we can discard 1 item from the reserve because of our failed Aquire Assets Action?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

My Kung Fu is weak. :cry: I did get one 5, thanks to the bonus point from my amulet on the Will check. If I hadn't, I'd be in much worse shape.

I think we might want to discard the Holy Cross. It's expensive, and I don't think I need it, as my Protective Amulet is still pretty good, but if you want it in the mix we can leave it there. If you discard that one from your Acquire Assets action, we should see what the replacement card is before I decide whether or not to discard the new one for mine. I'd like to keep the Revolver, the Fishing Net, and the Agency Quarantine in the mix. We need stuff to help us in combat. The Quarantine is very costly, but we may need it later. That's probably the only way to beat an Epic Monster without actually engaging it in combat.

I want to Acquire Assets again, so I want to know if a new card is in the Reserve before I do. I'll also acquire a Train Ticket and then have another go at the Warlock and the Gate. I can go to Istanbul on Turn 3. It turns out I couldn't have gotten the Clue on 12 this turn anyway, as I'd mistakenly thought it was where space 11 is. It's not easily reachable for me, but you could get it on Turn 3 if you spend your first Action getting a Ship Ticket before heading to space 8. You should definitely try to take care of that Rumor this turn. I should probably be the Lead Investigator in case you fail to find the island. Otherwise, you could pick up a second Madness and two of the Eldritch tokens will be lost.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Yep, I'll get a Ship Ticket in Arkham before moving to Space 8 and the Rumor. I agree regards Assets, Jim discards the Holy Cross in Turn 1, so let's see what we get (image to follow later), Lily may also discard the replacement in Turn 1. . . . And Lily is the Lead Investigator Turn 2.

Edit

Hmmm, interesting. And, I just noticed, Acquire Assets: "City spaces without Monsters only"--luckily Lily didn't gain an Asset Turn 1. So shall Jim Acquire Assets instead of a Ship Ticket?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I really need to remember the rules better. There was no other Action I could have taken to substitute for Acquire Assets last turn. I can't even Rest this turn, but I could use my innate ability to trade Sanity for Health. I think I'll do that, as well as pick up a Train Ticket.

Jim should only Acquire Assets if he's going for the Intelligence Report and he's willing to take a Bank Loan to get it. Clues are so rare in this game, and that'll really help!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

There is something about "My Kung Fu is weak" that simply tickles me. :D
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Nicely done! I've never seen the board completely menace-free before. Of course, I'm sure that will change as soon as you draw the Mythos card.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle