1 - Introduction: A Phone Call

A book has been stolen and needs to be retrieved. A simple enough task, you think, as you get landed with the job. Or is it?

Moderator: NFVD

NFVD
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

1 - Introduction: A Phone Call

Post by NFVD »

One early morning during the beggining of spring 192x, WIlliam Townsend receives a telephone call from the book collector and occultist Franklin Quincey.

Quincey is an acquaintance sharing William's deep interest in books and other matters, though truth be said both men are not familiar enough (or close enough in the social class scale) to be considered "friends".

In an amicable telephonic conversation Mr. Quincey expresses his wish that William visits him in his apartment that very evening to discuss a delicate matter concerning an item of his property that has gone missing. The conversation is brief, and while not stated explicitly William gets the impression that Quincy's concern is a private one and he’d prefer the antiquarian to come alone to the meeting. After delivering his invitation and address Franklin politely says his goodbyes and disconnects.

William muses for a moment. Quincey is just one name among the many people he has dealt with before and he hasn't seen him for some time. Juggling his memory he recalls the following facts about the man:

- Franklin Quincey is an independently wealthy male in his mid 40s. He is unmarried and lives alone.

- He has no living relatives William knows of.

- He is well respected in the social sphere as a collector of old books. Due to their previous encounters William remembers he has a scholar’s interest in the occult, with a good dose of scepticism as to its reality.

- There no ill rumours surrounding him that William has ever heard of.

- In their previous meetings William always found Mr. Quincey to be friendly, generous and willing to share the contents of his sizable collection of occult works with other likeminded scholars.

William has an entire day without appointments free to do as he chooses before the appointed time for the meeting with Quincey comes (should he decide to attend the man's request).
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Re: 1 - Introduction: A Phone Call

Post by Tabs »

William Townsend

Sitting in a comfy chair and sipping coffee at his father's shop, he speculates on Franklin Quincey and which book (because he guesses it must be one) is missing. At lunchtime he places a few telephone calls through to other bibliophiles for any information regards Quincey, namely:

"Is he a respectable book seller?"

"Have you heard any gossip?"
Spoiler:
Is his father alive? and does the family still own the antiquarian bookshop?
Last edited by Tabs on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper

Post by NFVD »

Using the phone William calls upons certain acquaintances, contacts and known costumers in Arkham's literary scene. What he hears seems to confirm what he already knows. Qunicy enjoys a good reputation altoghether. He purchases a whole lot more books than he sells, being more of a collextor than a dealer and is supposed to own some remarkably rare occult works in his personal library, mostly aquired in trips to Europe. There are no current rumors floating around apart from the fact he hasn't been seen in the scene much of late.
Spoiler:
WIlliam's paret's are both gone, but the antiquarian bookshop remains. That's how he makes his living.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

William muses on "Europe" and his own desire to find Shakespeare's Cardenio in England. He spends the afternoon in his bookshop chatting with regular customers; at home he changes for dinner (hopefully); and then calls a cab to drive him to Franklin Quincey's address.
Last edited by Tabs on Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper

Post by NFVD »

The appointment time is nearing when the taxi drops William at the appointed address. It is on the edge of Arkham on a well-to-do neighbourhood where the most moden buildings are erected. The one were Quincey lives is a modern, expensive-looking structure built with a clear Art Deco influence that is so fashionable in New York these days.

Inside a lobby with lovingly decorated golden-hued walls a uniformed security guard is sitting at a stout wooden desk with some large sort of electrical apparatus standing on it; black, square and with cables connecting it to the wall behind the desk.

The security guard, a portly middle-aged man, observes William's entrance with the trained curiosity of a retired policeman before asking him:

"Can I help you, sir?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Mr. Quincey," says William. "He's expecting me--Mr. Townsend."
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper

Post by NFVD »

"Just a moment..." the security guard says. He reaches for the aparatus, opens a compartment and produces what look like the mouthpiece and receiver of a candlestick telephone. Pressing a button, the machine buzzes and a few moments later the guard is engaged in conversation with the other side the line.

"Mr. Quincy? Evenin' Sir. It is Staton down at reception. There is gentleman here to see you, a Mr. Townsend. Says you are expecting him...yes Sir. I shall send him up. Thank you and a nice night to you, Sir." He returns the pieces to their place and opens a drawer on his desk, producing a modern-looking small key with a round hande painted red. This he gives to Townsend as he adresses him gaian, "Go right head Mr. Townsend. Deliver this key to the elevator operator and ask for the fourth floor."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

William takes the red-painted key and gives it a nonchalant toss, "Thank you, Staton." He walks ahead, ready to present the fourth floor key to the elevator operator.
Last edited by Tabs on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper

Post by NFVD »

William heads towards the elevator and hand the key to the operator, a young red-uniformed man who would not be amiss in a fnacy hotel. The operator takes one look at the key and states "Fourth flour, Sir." He inserts the key in a slot above the lever mechanism that controls the elevator and after William gets inside, shuts the slidegrating and pull the lever, turning the elevator on. After a few moments they have reached the fourth floor. The operator explains there is a buzzer button and all William must do when he's leaving is press it, the lift will come up for him. The elevator will come back for him and the operator shall return the security key (which is to be delivered back to the receptionist at the lobby).

There are a few wood doors on this floor, one of which is slightly ajar with light streaming through the opening. There is some movment behind it then it opens, showing the slim, bearded figure of Quncy. A man in his 40s, wearing thick-lensed glasses and wearing good-quality clothes a good 10 years out of fashion.

"Ah, Townsend. Glad you could make it. Please, come in." he says.

Crossing the entryway into the apartment William notices just how strong and thick the door is. He also notices it has no less than 4 bolts on the inside when his host begins fiddling with them to close the door after he enters. Obviously Mr. Quincy is a man who takes is security seriously. On the wall of the entry hall is a box phone of design slightly different from any models WIlliam has seen so far, obviously the method by which the security guard below can contact with the apartment owner.

"Come, come. Let us go into the study to talk." his host tells him.

As he is led through the apartment William can see it is expensive and spacious, but a little chilly and sparsely decorated. The well-lit study however, is both inviting and warmed by an open fire. A large picture window leads to a balcony overlooking a neighbouring park. Every inch of wall space seems to be covered in bookshelves filled with old books. from the spines William is able to recognize a wide variety of valuable books on the subject of the traditional occult, the Beatus Methodivo, the Zohar, the Golden Bough and others.
Spoiler:
Spot Hidden roll (49%) 1d100=20 = success
Even more amazing, Wiliam notices the shelves also bear copies of Cultes des Goules and the extremely rare Monstres and Their Kynde.

Over the fine oak desk, cluttered with papers of various sorts, is a macabre painting of a number of dog-faced humanoids. These are standing
in a graveyard howling at a sickly-looking full moon. Comfortable chairs are set around the desk and Quincy offer one of these to his visitor.

"Would you care for anything? A cigar maybe? I have some very fine sherry too." Quincy proposes.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"A fine collection of books, Mr. Quincey," says an appreciative William, sitting down before the desk. "I noticed Fraser's The Golden Bough, a first edition I presume?" He regards the ghastly painting, but politely doesn't venture a derogatory opinion. "A cigar and sherry would be excellent, thank you."
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper

Post by NFVD »

"Your eye for books does you justice Mr. Townsend." Qunicy remarks, "But that copy of The Golden Bough is more than only a first edition; it belonged to Samuel L. Mathers himself. Supposedly a gift from some admirer of his during his days at the Order of the Golden Dawn. It bears his signature, which I have had validated by an expert. Found it in a little obscure shop in Antwerp some two years after Mathers' death, Lord knows how it got there in the first place."

While he is speaking Quincy gets a crystalline glass bottle, a cigar box and two glasses from a large drawer on his desk. He pours drinks for two, lights a cigar for William, and one for himself. The smokes are rather good but with a flavor William cannot identify. The sherry is of superlative quality and quite smooth.

"Guatemalan." says Quincy, "You won't find these in any shop, I get them from a friend who owns a small plantation down there. An expat Spanish doctor with a taste for old books."

WIlliam's looks at the painting don't go unnoticed to his host.

"Ghastly picture isn't it? The scene I mean, not the artistry. That is hardly something you could point a fault at, why it is so realistic you could half-believe the painter was acting more like a photographer at an actual scene rather than making an image of fiction. It was made by a local up-and-coming artist, R. Pickman. In all honesty it was an impulse buy on an auction I had gone to aquire some books. But aparently it was a good purchase, I learned later the work of this Pickman fellow is quite well sough after these days."

Both men engage in small talk for awhile, enjoying their cigars and sherry. But soon enough Quincey gets down to business.

"As you can see Mr. Townsend," and Quincey makes a circular gesture with his hand to encompass the room, "this study contains the cream of my collection, with some of the most valuable and rare occult tomes in existence. I am not a jealous man, and have always made my collection available to fellow students of the occult. One of these students, a young man named Ethan Blane, called on me a week ago, wishing to consult a particularly rare book called the Scripture of Shul. My copy of this book is an unpublished proof of a 16th century English translation of a manuscript that is believed to be far older."

He pauses for a moment to take a last sip of his glass, finishing the sherry.

"Now, something about Blane struck me as odd during our interview – he seemed somehow intense, as if filled with some kind of religious fervour. I was worried that he might be a black magic obsessive, or even worse, a fanatic intending to destroy the book. I have encountered both extremes before, you know. I told him that I would rather not give him access to the book, and asked him to leave, but as I went to show him the door, my legs buckled beneath me and I collapsed into a swoon from which I did not awake for some hours. When I did, Ethan and the Scripture were, unsurprisingly, gone. I realised that he had drugged my sherry, perhaps as I took the book from the shelf to show to him. Obviously he had always intended to steal it right from the start. Indeed, according to the guard on the desk, he just walked straight out of the building carrying it in a black valise. I considered calling the police of course, but it struck me that this sort of man is probably well-versed in avoiding any official enquiry. What’s more, I want my property back much more than I want this man arrested, and I had hoped that you could do this for me. I know it is difficult, since I am quite sure ‘Ethan Blane’ is a false name and I have no address for him. Nonetheless, his accent was local, and he must be a student of the occult to have known about the Scripture. Also, I have some talent for sketching and have attempted a likeness of the man that may help. It occurs to me that if Blane was after this book he may have spoken to some of the local rare book dealers; no doubt you known most and I will give you a list of those I could remember, which along with the sketch may help you to locate him. I just want the book back, but should it be necessary to use a little force on the young man I believe that it would not only be just, in the light of his crime, but also should serve to dissuade him from attempting to steal other people’s property."

After another pause, and a shift of stance Quincy gets to the most important matter, as far as WIlliam is concerned.

"Getting to the sordid business of money, I am prepared to recompense you generously for returning my property. I know of your desire and continued efforts to locate a certain exceedingly rare work of literature, and that evidence of its location points to Stratford, England. I could not only pay for the expenses of a trip there but make arrangements with acquaintances of mine there to secure lodging for an extended period. Would this be sufficient to secure both your services and your discretion on the matter?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Your eye for books . . .
William gently nods, pleased by the compliment.

" 'Guatamalan,' " he repeats, rolling the cigar between thumb and forefinger. "Very special, sir; and the sherry too," he raises his glass, "Your very good health!"
"Ghastly picture isn't it?
"So why hang the thing?" he thinks, but doesn't comment aloud.
. . . my legs buckled beneath me and I collapsed into a swoon . . .
He involuntarily glances at the carpet, "How awful," he murmurs.
. . . had hoped that you could do this . . .[find the book]
Mr. Quincey describes his encounter with Ethan Blane. William listens intently, and sits very still, that is except for a gulp of sherry--the ash from his Guatamalan cigar drops to the floor.
. . . Would this be sufficient to secure your services . . . [expenses paid trip to England]
He thinks over Quincey's proposal.

"What if I cannot locate the Scripture of Shul?"
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper

Post by NFVD »

"I have full confidence you will be able to return my book; but if I am proven wrong you will not be left unrecompensed for the time and effort invested in the attempt. Let us say, a $100 fee, plus covering any expenses incurred during your investigation?" Quincey looks at WIlliam awaiting his answer.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

William Townsend

"Then I accept your offer, Mr. Quincey," he says, thinking of how to achieve his goal of finding Quincey's book, and, more importantly, this opportunity to search for Shakespeare's Cardenio in England. "You said something about a sketch of Ethan Blane?"
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper

Post by NFVD »

"Excellent." Quincy beams, "And yes, the picture...". He looks around his desk until finding a paper sheet with a drawing in charcoal and pencil which he hands over to WIlliam.

The Sketch of Ethan Blane

"I am no artiste but I hope this drawing is sufficient for you to recognise Blane when you see him."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Good gracious, what a thug!" exclaims William. "I'll recognise him, thanks to this sketch. But I must say that I shan't go anywhere near the brute. What to do if I do encounter Ethan Blane?" He wonders: "The police, yourself . . . ?"
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper

Post by NFVD »

"I do not want the police to get involved Mr. Tonwnsend." Quincy states with finality in his voice, "A man in my position, and living in this neighborhood, cannot afford to have the police coming by. I prize my privacy a lot; and absolutely do not wish visiting detectives taking a look at my home and collection. And beyond that, I lay no trust in the authorities to solve a matter such as this. Who ever heard of Arkham's finest putting their full effort behind the search for "simple" stolen book?"

He pauses a moment and clears his throat, then continues speaking in his normal tone of voice.

"My apologies if I sound rispid. I simply wish to make it clear youi should not involve the authorities while in my service. Besides that ,how you choose to go about recovering the Scripture of Shul, and what you may do or not when you meet the thief is not my concern. I hired you on reccomendation, beyond your repute as a scholar I have been told you're not the sort of man that shrinks from danger or is unwilling to use...ah, alternative tactics if the situation warrants it."
Spoiler:
Psychology roll 38% 1d100=78

William is unable to tell if Quincy is being honest, or if his demand of no police involvement has some ulterior motive.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"I understand your feelings regarding the police," says William "I must say they can be indiscreet and 'ham fisted.' " He is increasingly alarmed by Quincey but determined not to let this new found opportunity go for want of enthusiasm, he adds: "You can count on me."

"It is time for me to depart--dinner at my club awaits," he stands. "Er--the $100 fee . . . ."
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper

Post by NFVD »

Quibcy takes $100 in whatever denomination bills WIlliam prefers from a small portable safebox and hands the cash to him, together with a card.

"If you need to contact me here is my private telephone number. Should I be unavailable you will be connected to the receptionist and may leave a message. Please do not mention any specifics in such case, just pass the information you each to reach me on account of our business."

He sees William off to the door and as he leaves wishes him well in somewhat cryptic manner. "Godspeed, Mr. Townsend. And best of luck on your quest, for both our sakes."
Spoiler:
Unless you wish to do anything else we can assume William buzzes the lift, hands the key and is off to whatever scene you want to.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

At the front desk William tips Staton a silver dollar.

"I commend you on the security here, it certainly is a 'tight ship.' One thing,"--he shows Staton the sketch of Ethan Blane--"do you recognise this man?--a few nights back he called upon Mr. Quincey."

Return to “Vengeance From Beyond”