Part One C - Desperately Seeking Inuit

"In June 1845, two Royal Navy vessels, H.M.S. Erebus and H.M.S. Terror under the command of Sir John Franklin departed the Shetland Islands on their quest to search for and chart the long sought North-West Passage. Initially the expedition made excellent progress, but this ended when they were beset by ice to the North of King William Island on 12th September 1846.

On 5th April 1848, the doomed vessels were abandoned and the remaining crew members attempted to head South to safety at trading posts in Canada. Unfortunately their trek was doomed to failure and all were doomed, so the public believe, to starvation, disease and the elements.

Tne investigators are part of a long-term experiment being conducted in the Northern reaches of Canada. Sponsored by the University of Toronto and The Canadian Government, the plan is for a select group of experts and scientists to live and work on a permanent base on the Adelaide peninsula near the location of some of the remains of some of the Franklin Expedition members previously discovered."

Moderator: Cearlan

Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Part One C - Desperately Seeking Inuit

Post by Cearlan »

After travelling for several hours, maintaining their heading of South by South East, you stumble across some tracks that lead across your path, though it is difficult to say if the tracks are probably heading due West instead of East. The tracks include sleds and people on foot, by the length of their strides, it does not seem as though they were fleeing.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: Part One C - Desperately Seeking Inuit

Post by ghill »

Patrick turns the sled in the direction of the tracks.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

After a hour or so following your tracks you can see in the distance the group ahead of you. About ten minutes later the suddenly veer off to the South.
OOC:   How do you proceed and in what order are you all travelling?  
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Patrick brings his dogs to a stop, then looks at Jesse. What do you suggest?
OOC:   Can we determine how many are in the group and can we still see them as they head South? What is the ground like here?  
OOC:   I had assumed that we'd probably only have a single sled, with Patrick driving and Jesse either on the sled or towed along on Ski's - but it was entirely my assumption not discussed with Pappa G.  
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by dustakr »

OOC,I want to be with expedition team, though I am not sure how should I catch up with Patrick and Jesse.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

ghill wrote:
OOC:   I had assumed that we'd probably only have a single sled, with Patrick driving and Jesse either on the sled or towed along on Ski's - but it was entirely my assumption not discussed with Pappa G.  
OK then - that's what it will be - though you will be joined soon.

dustakr wrote:
OOC,I want to be with expedition team, though I am not sure how should I catch up with Patrick and Jesse.
OOC:   For the sake of the game we can assume that as soon as the other party return to camp they quickly debrief everyone on what they found and anyone who wishes can set out in search of Patrick. I have asked for the others to let me know who wants to tag along for the ride so the entry below may be edited to include others.  
ghill wrote:
OOC:   Can we determine how many are in the group and can we still see them as they head South? What is the ground like here?  
The group looks to be large, say about 40+ Difficult to tell at this sort of range with any more accuracy. The ground you are covering is frozen drifts of snow and ice, the weather, although more or less permanent night is clear and frosty ... very cold. They are visible to you, although at times some of them may disappear as they disappear behind ice drifts, but the majority of the group remain visible at any given time.

You suddenly hear a shout from behind you as a two man sled and skier approach. The closer they get you can recognise that the sled bears Chris and Poo-Yet-Tah with Dougal being the outrider.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

ghill wrote:Patrick brings his dogs to a stop, then looks at Jesse. What do you suggest?

Well we're here to warn the locals, so I think we should catch them up and let them know that there is something large and dangerous out here.

As he finishes speaking, he sees the dogs prick their ears and turn their heads back towards the direction they have come from, he nods at the dogs Something is coming up behind us a minute or so later the other sled appears accompanied by the shout.

Seems we have company, maybe cutting up bodies isn't as much fun as they thought.
OOC:   Jesse will be riding the sled, he is happy to take turns driving the dogs  
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

OOC,considering my previous track roll, just need to confirm, if Conroe is lost or something, if yes can he roll track again or is it possible to head back to barracks.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Patrick will start to move the Sled forward the figures out on the ice, trying to pick his way through the worst of the drifts. He moves slowly because he doesn't want anyone following to lose him, nor does he want those he is following to be concerned about what Patrick and Jesse's intentions are. If Patrick can get near enough he will shout at the Inuit to alert them of their presence.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

OOC:   Conroe is with the group catching up to Patrick and Jesse - That makes Chris, Poo-Yet-Tah, Conroe and (if I understand right) Dougal - If this is the case then there will be two two man sleds. Let me know if I have misunderstood.  
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Post by andyw666 »

OOC:   Actually, Dougal had been resting back at the base but if you're happy for him to be with the Inuit hunting group, absolutely, count him in.  
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

OOC:   Are the group following the trail left by the Inuit or 'cutting across' on an intercept course?  
Once the three sleds are together, they move swiftly across the ice field. Suddenly a loud crack fills the air and the sled with Chris and Poo-Yet-Tah fall down into the opening crevasse. Fortunately they were a few feet behind the other two sleds so only they were caught. The loud screams of Chris and the huskies sound out above the moderate wind as they plummet downward and are suddenly stilled - too suddenly to be a good sign surely! Poo-Yet-Tah makes no sound other than a shout which was largely drowned out by the cracking of the ice as it opens. Was it a call of surprise or warning?
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   Pretty imaterial now :) But Patrick having seen the Inuit disappear onto the ice would have cut a path directly towards them unless the ground looked unsafe.  
Patrick brings the sled to a halt and asks Jesse to take the leads he then quickly unstraps two climbing ropes which he secures to the sled tieing one around his waist and looping the other through his belt before making his way, slowly and carefully towards the crevasse. Testing the ground with each step.

Spot Hidden 45: [dice]0[/dice] - checking the ice is stable and will hold his weight.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Very conscious of the possibility of giant prehistoric sabre toothed polar bears showing up, Dougal jumps off his sled then immediately unslings and loads his shotgun. Dougal will watch all approaches but be ready to help Patrick.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

ghill wrote:
OOC:   Pretty imaterial now :) But Patrick having seen the Inuit disappear onto the ice would have cut a path directly towards them unless the ground looked unsafe.  
OOC:   That was more for how long it would take to reach the Inuit as opposed to the reasoning/positioning behind the ice splitting  
Reaching the edge of the crevasse and making sure that you are lying down to distribute your weight better, Patrick peers over the edge and looks down into the depths. At the bottom of the split, you can see the wreckage of the sled and dogs. Chris' broken body lies close to the bottom, his legs at the wrong angle to his torso. There is no sign of Poo-Yet-Tah at first. Edging closer to the lip of the chasm, you can see him some distance down lying face up on something akin to a narrow ledge. You estimate the distance as being about fifty feet below your current position.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Dougal races over to Patrick's sled. Carefully putting down his shotgun near at hand, Dougal takes up the rope, ready to assist.

"Paddy lad, give me the word and I'm ready to help lower you down or pull you up. Are they alive down there, can you see them?"
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

Conroe halts the sled little ahead of Patrick's sled, and starts calling loudly towards inuit group ahead for help until the group figures fade away..
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Patrick rolls over onto his back to look over at Dougal. Don't worry about pulling me up Dougal the ropes tied off on the sled, the dogs can do that for us. Best do the same to yourself with a rope tied off on your sled as well in case the ice at the edge gives way. Then I'll go down with this second rope and we can start hauling them up. I can see Chris and Poo-Yet-Tah, I'm not sure Chris made it, he looks pretty broken up. then rolling back to look down the crevasse. He shouts "Poo-Yet-Tah, can you hear me are you OK? Can you see if Chris is still alive?"
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Dougal is happy to bow to local expertise. He quickly slings the old shotgun and races back to his own sled to organise ropes as Patrick suggested.

"All set!"
Last edited by andyw666 on Tue May 12, 2015 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Poo-Yet-Tah does not respond, and worryingly Partick can see the ice beside his head is starting to become stained crimson.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh

Return to “Walker in the Wastes”