Part One C - Desperately Seeking Inuit

"In June 1845, two Royal Navy vessels, H.M.S. Erebus and H.M.S. Terror under the command of Sir John Franklin departed the Shetland Islands on their quest to search for and chart the long sought North-West Passage. Initially the expedition made excellent progress, but this ended when they were beset by ice to the North of King William Island on 12th September 1846.

On 5th April 1848, the doomed vessels were abandoned and the remaining crew members attempted to head South to safety at trading posts in Canada. Unfortunately their trek was doomed to failure and all were doomed, so the public believe, to starvation, disease and the elements.

Tne investigators are part of a long-term experiment being conducted in the Northern reaches of Canada. Sponsored by the University of Toronto and The Canadian Government, the plan is for a select group of experts and scientists to live and work on a permanent base on the Adelaide peninsula near the location of some of the remains of some of the Franklin Expedition members previously discovered."

Moderator: Cearlan

ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: Part One C - Desperately Seeking Inuit

Post by ghill »

Patrick looks at the lead Inuit he does not allow the expression on his face, nor the tone of his voice to change.I and my friends came to warn you there was something on the ice which kills for sport. We came to share this knowledge not keep it secret, so that we could perhaps save lives. Two of my friends were injured doing so, one you call a mad foreigner, may not live for his efforts and you insult us and him for doing so. So I will ask you again in plain words so there can be no misunderstanding. Do you know what walks upon the ice and kills men for sport, old wives tale or no.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by andyw666 »

Dougal finally crawls, climbs and is hauled out of the crevice, uttering vile naval oaths under his breath. He dusts the ice off his clothes and observes Patrick's interaction with the native folk.

After taking a quick swig from his hip flask, Dougal goes over to check again that there is nothing that can be done for poor Hamilton. Assuming Hamilton is now well off this mortal coil, Dougal crosses himself and does what he can to preserve the late Hamilton's dignity.

"Eh lads, I think we need to abandon this venture. We need to take our wounded and our dead back to camp."
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Jesse follows the exchange between Patrick and the Inuit with interest. At the mention of the word tupilak he searches his memory, trying to remember if any of the local inuit mentioned it when he was growing up.
Roll,Anthropology[70] [dice]0[/dice]
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by dustakr »

Conroe moves sled away from crevice..then looks at one of inuit points toward direction..'That's not where we look for help in this weather..we can always set out expedition plan for tommorow..we need to go back to camp..'
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

Patrick says nothing. Just looks at the Inuit leader to whom he just addressed himself.

Return to “Walker in the Wastes”