Part One b - Cutting into the cold hard flesh of a human

"In June 1845, two Royal Navy vessels, H.M.S. Erebus and H.M.S. Terror under the command of Sir John Franklin departed the Shetland Islands on their quest to search for and chart the long sought North-West Passage. Initially the expedition made excellent progress, but this ended when they were beset by ice to the North of King William Island on 12th September 1846.

On 5th April 1848, the doomed vessels were abandoned and the remaining crew members attempted to head South to safety at trading posts in Canada. Unfortunately their trek was doomed to failure and all were doomed, so the public believe, to starvation, disease and the elements.

Tne investigators are part of a long-term experiment being conducted in the Northern reaches of Canada. Sponsored by the University of Toronto and The Canadian Government, the plan is for a select group of experts and scientists to live and work on a permanent base on the Adelaide peninsula near the location of some of the remains of some of the Franklin Expedition members previously discovered."

Moderator: Cearlan

Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Part One b - Cutting into the cold hard flesh of a human

Post by Cearlan »

OOC:   Once everyone is settled into place the Autopsies begin. Are you doing them simultaneously or one after the other?  
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Part One b - Cutting into the cold hard flesh of a human

Post by NFVD »

OOC:   I think doing them one after the other would make more sense.  
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac is trying to look messily inconspicuous in a corner of the storage/autopsy room. He has his café in one hand, a notebook in the other and a pencil tucked above an ear, and is ready to note observations.
OOC:   One after the other I would suggest.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Diana observes the autopsies, hoping to notice some details that others might have overlooked. While she tries to stay clinically detached, she cannot help but feel sorrow for the two human beings whose lives were snuffed out by an unknown beast. I hope what we do here will give us some answers and possibly prevent further deaths, she thinks.
OOC,Yes, I don't think we're in any particular rush. Are we allowed to read the other thread?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

The room is stuffy and oppressive, and once ready, the autopsy begins.
OOC:   The following is taken from the notes made on the scene.

Starting with a clinical description of the first body's description followed by the clothing, and it's condition - namely ragged, torn and blood soaked, the doctors methodically describe each article as it is gently removed. Eventually the first body lies naked on the makeshift dissecting table and the doctors discuss the state of the body.  
"An Inuit male, aged about 20-25 at a rough estimate. Severe lacerations cover the body from the neck down to the upper legs on the front and to the ankles on the rear. This may be indicitive of his being attacked from behind first, but there is no way to be certain. The distance between the claw marks would indicate a paw far in excess of any known species, Would you agree Diana?

"The male specimen has what appears to be at least six attacks on his front which has led to his stomach and intestines being released from their customary location. Unfortunately this has led to us not being able to determine exactly what has killed this man, though I suspect that he would have bled out from the wounds on his stomach in a matter of minutes, had the cold not got to him first. Then there is the singular series of gashes across his chest that literally destroyed his ribcage and removed most of his lungs and other organs, including the front sections of his heart. However, by the way the lower body was covered in blood, at least moreso than the top half, this would suggest that he was already departed from this vale.

"Examining his back reveals that he was likely hamstrung first, then as he lay on his back, losing his lifeblood to the snow and ice, the creature ... or whatever it was made sport with his body. What part the other person played in this grim tableau we perhaps will never fully know, but he did succumb to a similar fate.

"Are there any other observations that anyone present would make before the medical staff take care of trying to make him as presentable as we may for his tribe?"
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I concur, Doctor" says Diana, repressing a shiver. "I've never heard of anything with claws that big." Though she's frightened at the prospect of running into a creature that could cause this carnage, she is resolved not to let her fear show. She knows the men only wish to protect her, but she doesn't want them to think of her as a terrified woman - even if she is one.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac is taking careful notes, drawing neat diagrams and slurping coffee noisily. He looks up from his notes.

"Is there any indication any organs were eaten, or at least removed by the creature to keep and eat later?" Balzac asks with his distinct French accent. He seems unperturbed by the gory tableau.
OOC:   Let me know if you'd prefer my secondary PC to stay more in the shadows.  
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"Although the organs have been bitten into and parts of them missing, for example about two thirds of his liver is missing, and the rest of his organs have been damaged, possibly consumed by the creature, but if the eating of the organs were the reasoning - why not take all of his organs, like the remainder of his liver for example.

"Note the marks made by the beast's teeth on his liver here ... a lot of very sharp teeth and the 'shape' of the bite, much like our teeth would make in an apple gives an idea of our size ... I would estimate the creature's jaw must be over twenty inches across. Couple that with the size of the claw marks and it gives us a creature of some considerable size possibly as much as three to four times the size of any of us."

OOC:   No your Character is yours to do with as you please - just don#'t get them both killed at the same time ;-)  
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Perhaps the creature simply used its teeth to tear him open," speculates Diana. "It may just have happened to bite him where his vitals were. Or it could have targeted his vitals in order to kill him quickly."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

"It is like ze cat playing with a mouse for ze sport."

"Has ze animal left any hairs or nails for us, I wonder?"

Balzac makes sure his notes and diagrams are up to date then takes a precautionary slurp of coffee. Reaching into a pocket, he pulls out a jeweller's loupe and starts carefully searching the body for fur or other animal residue.
Last edited by andyw666 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"I would suggest the former over the latter Diana as that would involve a level of intelligence that may. or may not, be above what this creature is capable of, whatever it may be. The ferocity of the other attacks, both on this body and the other poor unfortunate, suggest, to me at least, that it is more natural aggression as opposed to targeted attacks."

From the other thread:
dustakr wrote:
OOC,I want to be with expedition team, though I am not sure how should I catch up with Patrick and Jesse.
For the sake of the game we can assume that as soon as the other party return to camp they quickly debrief everyone on what they found and anyone who wishes can set out in search of Patrick. Let me know who else wants to go so that I can adjust the thread as needed
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"Actually that seems a good analogy Balzac - please look for signs, though I found none."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"Actually that seems a good analogy Balzac - please look for signs, though I found none."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Quietly uttering vile oaths in French, Balzac pours over the body with his jeweller's loupe.

Balzac's Spot Hidden skill is 50%

[dice]0[/dice]

Balzac's Biology skill is 76%

[dice]1[/dice]
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by NFVD »

Dr. Newton will assist Balzac in the combing of the body for such signs. While not his specialty, maybe what he learned from his hunting hobby can be of help.
Spoiler:
Biology (41%) [dice]0[/dice]
Spot Hidden (25%) [dice]1[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Diana also inspects the body for traces of the creature.
OOC,Does this mean we're allowed to read the other thread? Biology roll (61% skill): [dice]0[/dice] Spot Hidden roll (55% skill): [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Finding no real traces, other than the physical damage the creature caused, it is decided to examine the second body.

After the first cadaver is roughly stitched back up ... in case it needs be opened again - there is always time for the niceties later, it is removed and the second body carried in and laid out on the examination table.

"Following the same procedure, we will be working from the outside inward. Firstly, it can be noted that this body, of a male Inuit aged about thirty, seems at first glance to have been impaled by something approximately six inches across at the entry wound on the left side of the sternum tapering down to little more than half that at the point where it exited the body, shattering the scapula on the way. Several ribs are all but destroyed by the force of the trauma. Added to this are similar frenzied attacks witnessed on the first cadaver.

"The right hand is missing ... looking as though it was torn from his arm. The hand found at the site, on the rifle, seems to be a good match for the missing extremity, does everyone agree? I can see some off-white fibres in the left hand, which are also present on the matted clothing."
Removing several hairs the Doctor inspects them, before raising them to his nose.

"The coarse hair is repugnant to the nose and somewhat oily to the touch. Can you please look at these hairs, or fibres for me please Diana? The results might cast some light on what we are facing here.

"This body seems to have undergone a near total evisceration, presumably post-mortem if we assume the impaling blow was the fatal one. Did you say there had been several shots fired before the weapon was destroyed? What does this indicate I wonder?"
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That either he was a poor shot, possibly due to panic, or the creature is extremely tough, moreso than a bear," says Diana. "There may have been more than one of them, but if he'd killed any there would have been remains. Even if they eat their own dead, they couldn't eat the bones. I suppose he could have started firing when the beast was too far away to hit and exhausted his magazine. I agree that the hand on the rifle is most likely the dead man's missing hand. I find it highly unlikely that there's someone else out there who just happens to have lost the same hand and somehow survived. Let me see those fibers." She collects samples of them with a pair of tweezers to study in more detail, including under a microscope.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac diligently notes the wreckage of the second corpsicle, including sketches and diagrams.

"Diana, may I borrow one of those hairs for a moment to describe in the notes?"

Balzac will whip out his jeweller's loupe, ready to examine a hair up close.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Of course, Doctor," says Diana. She provides Balzac with one of the hairs.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Walker in the Wastes”