Part One - The Dead of Winter

"In June 1845, two Royal Navy vessels, H.M.S. Erebus and H.M.S. Terror under the command of Sir John Franklin departed the Shetland Islands on their quest to search for and chart the long sought North-West Passage. Initially the expedition made excellent progress, but this ended when they were beset by ice to the North of King William Island on 12th September 1846.

On 5th April 1848, the doomed vessels were abandoned and the remaining crew members attempted to head South to safety at trading posts in Canada. Unfortunately their trek was doomed to failure and all were doomed, so the public believe, to starvation, disease and the elements.

Tne investigators are part of a long-term experiment being conducted in the Northern reaches of Canada. Sponsored by the University of Toronto and The Canadian Government, the plan is for a select group of experts and scientists to live and work on a permanent base on the Adelaide peninsula near the location of some of the remains of some of the Franklin Expedition members previously discovered."

Moderator: Cearlan

drone232
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Re: Part One - The Dead of Winter

Post by drone232 »

Upon hearing the news of a some local men's death due to an animal, Professor Harding comes in to see if he can offer any help. He is expressionless with his hands clasped behind his back as he enters the room, his face changes to mild shock and his hands move to his sides when he sees the bodies. He looks upon them with his eyes moving from claw mark to claw mark as he examines the carnage. He looks up towards the others in the room and as he looks among them them, he asks "Do we know what did this?"
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper

Post by NFVD »

Dr. Newton Feigel

"Hamilton, what do you mean by the site looking like an artillery shell had gone off? You mean like a crater, or was the ground burnt?"
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

OOC:   At present the bodies are lying on a sledge in the "lean-to" beside the kennels, at #19 on the base camp map. I'll assume everyone in attendance is suitably dressed for the occasion ;)  
Chris replies to Professor Harding, "Nothing more than something big at this point, we may know more when the bodies get a chance to defrost and thaw out so that we can examine them in a bit more detail. Shall we get them inside first?"

Then turning Newton to he answers; "No Doc, not like the devastation that would cause a crater or even burnt ground, It was more like the mud-fields of Ypres or the Somme, pray God we never see the likes again. It looked as though a hundred men had set upon these two by the tracks, though I admit I am no skilled woodsman. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression, but you'd have to see it yourself to understand."

Poo-Yet-Tah edges away from the group as more people come to see what has occured. He stands looking out towards the North-West, his face unreadable in the deepening gloom.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Aippaq," says Diana with a knowing smile. "I shall steel myself." She's sure that the men only think they're being protective, but she's determined to show that she's capable of withstanding whatever they can. She puts on her parka and heads out to the open area near the kennels to see what is happening, arriving in time to catch the end of the conversation. I haven't seen the sort of thing they're talking about, she thinks, but I know how it affected Roger. If only we had stayed out of that horrible war, he'd have been spared all of that.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by dustakr »

Conroe gets message of Dr. Hamilton's return and situation outside, he goes outside, what are they expecting from me now?..Conroe sees the sledge 'Dr. Hamilton, was it not obvious to pick up an unidentified cargo like never'..'It must have been something big they had fended but failed, did you find any weapon on them or at site '
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Post by andyw666 »

Having been summoned by the nice young (heathen) Inuit lady, Fraser puts his text down and quickly knocks back the last of his scotch. Nae rest for the wicked.

Fraser ambles out to the gathering and spies the bodies. Pipe out, he quickly crosses himself then the pipe is back between the teeth.
OOC,[color=#FF0000]OOC: Would a History roll reveal any prior instances of such hideous attacks up here in the Arctic wastes?[/color]
Last edited by andyw666 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Jesse receives the summons and dresses himself in his outdoor wear, before joining the group at the sled.

He takes a quick look at the injuries and then walks over to Poo-Yet-Tah It is unusual for a polar bear to attack men, is it not? he asks in inuit And those kinds of injuries would have to be caused by a very large bear. Have you ever seen a bear large enough to cause injuries like that?
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

Patrick Lewis.

Overhearing Jesse's words to Poo-Yet-Tah. Not true I'm afraid Jesse, Polar bears will likely take a man as anything else it can put its teeth into. What it doesn't do is waste effort killing a thing and then not eating it. They don't go into killing for the fun of it.
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper

Post by NFVD »

Dr. Newton Feigel

"A female with cubs might kill anything she perceives as a threat, without eating it. But a polar she-bear large enough to maul men like this...?"
the dorctor's voice trails off for a moment. "What a record! Well, let us get these poor souls where they may thaw faster and maybe answer a few questions."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Chris says, "No Conroe, there was no sign of any weapons, but I did only a cursory search as I thought that is something this dangerous was out there, then we could have been in danger ourselves. As for this being a female Polar Bear - I was always under the impression that females of almost any species tend to be slighter than their male counterparts - begging your pardon there Diana."
Dougal Fraser,Go for a History roll if you think it will help.
As Jesse and Patrick talk to Poo-Yet-Tah, the Inuit guise merely shakes his head. "It's not likely to be Polar Bears that caused these wounds." but will say no more as he stare out into the darkness.
OOC:   Psychology rolls please ghill and papa.  
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No offense taken, Chris," says Diana. "It's certainly true in my case, and in general, but every rule has its exceptions. And there is no creature more ferocious than a female protecting her young."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

[dice]0[/dice]

(Fraser's History skill is 75%.)
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Fraser removes his pipe and clears his throat politely.

"Eh, lads, speaking archeological time scales for a minute, those poor souls could actually have been frozen in the ice for a very long time, maybe? Perhaps some recent storm just unearthed them?"
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Fraser,You are not aware of any recorded incidents or reports of such a large predator - even the largest Polar Bear you have heard of would be about half to two-thirds the size of whatever did this 'creature.'
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Cearlan wrote:As Jesse and Patrick talk to Poo-Yet-Tah, the Inuit guide merely shakes his head. "It's not likely to be Polar Bears that caused these wounds." but will say no more as he stare out into the darkness.
Patrick tries to read Poo-Yet-Tah's face but finds it inscrutable and has no insight into the mans thinking

PSychology 5%: 1d100=6
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by dustakr »

Conroe walks forward and leans over to sledge, goes through layers of cloths on the bodes '..so even after getting distracted from your field-trip..you never get the chance to search them thoroughly...'
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

dustakr wrote:Conroe walks forward and leans over to sledge, goes through layers of cloths on the bodes '..so even after getting distracted from your field-trip..you never get the chance to search them thoroughly...'
OOC:   The clothing and everything underneath is frozen solid.  
As Conroe's hand touches the clothing you find it is frozen and you estimate it will remain so for a few hours yet, even if the bodies are taken inside the camp building.

Poo-Yet-Tah continues to stare out into the dark shrouded ice field of King William Island. Finally he speaks quietly "There are vague legends which I was told by my father when I was a child of a terrible spirit that could cause such murderous devastation. I can only dimly remember them though, fragments of the story. I do remember that the tales gave me terrible dreams for years."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Fraser takes a few thoughtful puffs.

"Ah'm fairly certain there's never before been a reported case up here of such an attack, by something so large. Although, considering where we are, half of what happens up here has probably never been reported. No one to report it and no one to report it to."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Patrick Lewis

"Interesting as it is, it clearly happened a long time ago and its hardly connected to the expedition. Unless people are so bored with their current work load and they want to investigate abominable snow men" says Patrick
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Poo-Yet-Tah turns round and says to Patrick, "No ... they died in the last few days - look at the blood, if it had happened a long time ago as you say, then the blood would be more blackened by the ice and snow. I know this from when I find old carcasses on the ice - it helps to know when meat may be rotten. These are freshly slain. They should really be returned to their tribe as a mark of respect to the deaad."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh

Return to “Walker in the Wastes”