Part One - The Dead of Winter

"In June 1845, two Royal Navy vessels, H.M.S. Erebus and H.M.S. Terror under the command of Sir John Franklin departed the Shetland Islands on their quest to search for and chart the long sought North-West Passage. Initially the expedition made excellent progress, but this ended when they were beset by ice to the North of King William Island on 12th September 1846.

On 5th April 1848, the doomed vessels were abandoned and the remaining crew members attempted to head South to safety at trading posts in Canada. Unfortunately their trek was doomed to failure and all were doomed, so the public believe, to starvation, disease and the elements.

Tne investigators are part of a long-term experiment being conducted in the Northern reaches of Canada. Sponsored by the University of Toronto and The Canadian Government, the plan is for a select group of experts and scientists to live and work on a permanent base on the Adelaide peninsula near the location of some of the remains of some of the Franklin Expedition members previously discovered."

Moderator: Cearlan

andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Part One - The Dead of Winter

Post by andyw666 »

OOC:   How hard is it to get the radio working? Can Fraser get on the blower to see if there have been any other recent reports of attacks by unknown giant wild animals or the like?  
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

ghill wrote: Patrick looks at the weather, then turns to Dr James, Doc, I don't aim to stay in camp. The dogs can travel over 100 miles in a day they can easily handle the 50 miles to the Inuit camp. A small snack here, check booties there, little stops to care for the team but we'll get there easy enough. I have more than enough supplies to last us if we get caught on in the weather. We should be warning them something dangerous is out on the ice. Not pretending we're back in Boston making reports for the coroner and the police
James Young
Indeed, this is almost home for me, it'll be good to get out of camp for a while and the dogs will enjoy a run out too.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Diana greets Roger with a peck on the cheek when he returns. "Welcome back, dear," she says. "I'd have gone with you, but I'm not much of a huntress, in spite of my name." She looks over the bodies, but she has no experience judging how long they would need to thaw. She is more familiar with how to handle frozen plant specimens. "I'll defer to your expert opinion, Doctors."
OOC,[b]Diana[/b]'s Biology roll (61% skill) examining the corpsicles [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

andyw666 wrote:Agreeing with Hamilton ... Fraser awaits the others arriving for Hamilton's proposed meeting.
andyw666 wrote:
OOC:   How hard is it to get the radio working? Can Fraser get on the blower to see if there have been any other recent reports of attacks by unknown giant wild animals or the like?  
OOC:   @Andyw666 - I did indicate that the group should take some time out before the meeting. The radio is working fine - and yes he can 'get on the blower.'

To those moving straight on to find the nearest Inuit camp let me know when you wish to set out. Do you wish to take anything other than your own gear with you?  
The weather relents a little and between the clouds you can see increasingly large patches of dark sky sprinkled with stars, among the first to be glimpsed are the familiar sight of Orion's belt. The winds aloft blow the remaining scudding clouds westward and the night sky blazes with possibly the brightest array of stars you have seen for many a month. Ursa Major, the little bear, points the way Northward so that your path SSE is easily found.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

OOC:   I/Patrick actually had no intention of going back to the camp, so if PapaG/Jesse is in agreement, then they'd leave straight from the search site. In the scene prior to departing to see where the two men were killed I mentioned that Patrick was ensuring the sleds were loaded with stores for a couplr of days. I thought this would be a fairly typical precaution for Patrick to when going out in this sort of environment.  
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

OOC:   You head out straight away then - no problem. I've edited my last post to reflect that you left from the 'cairn-site.' :)  
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
drone232
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by drone232 »

OOC:   Nothing concerning medicine rolls has been posted for a while so my secondary character will give it a shot. I know someone already succeeded, but why not?  
Jack, now that the bodies have suffiecently thawed and he has his mentor's approval, has decided to look upon the carcasses to see what he might make of them. What he sees of the carnage fills him with a mixture of disgust at the bodies and fascination with what did this. He had never seen anything like this when he worked at the clinic years ago, but has read of worse in his few books of the macabre and strange. He believes this adventure will become quite interesting in the months to come. With his limited medicinal knowledge, he tries to ascertain any information from the bodies.
Spoiler:
Medicine skill 30%
[dice]0[/dice]
Sadly, such carnage is above his expertise.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Finishing his notes up, Fraser takes a glass of scotch and his lit pipe and retires to his bunk to kip until called for the meeting.
OOC:   (I'm obviously not doing a good job of reading the signs and portents.) Scrap the radio plan, was just casting about for ways to assist. Somebody wake Fraser when he's needed.  
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

OOC:   Who is going to be present for the autopsies and what input will you have - don't want too many in there as it's not that big a room? Are you doing the two post-mortems after a review of the situation? - Those performing, medicine rolls please.

Those heading towards the Inuit campsite continue on their way without hitch - roll track please.  
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by NFVD »

OOC:   Dr. Newton is certainly going to be present at the autopsy. He will be either running it or providing assistance to Dr. Cornelius Brand.  
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

Out on the ice Patrick Lewis drives the dogs on, trying as he does so to keep an eye out for the unusual or out of place. But the pace and the wind in his face don't make things easy
Track,Track: 50% [dice]0[/dice]
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC:   If there is room for a secondary investigator, Balzac will happily assist in any way he can, even just as observer and note-taker. Balzac will also try to use his Biology skill if at all possible / relevant when looking at bite marks, tooth imprints and the like, oozing ichor or other inappropriate biological residue on the bodies.

Guess we're doing autopsies first, meeting second?.

Balzac's Medicine roll is 80%

[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'll attend the autopsy if there's room. I'll be assisting rather than operating, as my Medicine skill is base level only, but I would like to use Biology as well.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by dustakr »

OOC,I like to know if Conroe found anything from rock samples gathered before joining rest of folks to find inuit campsite Track roll [dice]0[/dice]
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Those at Autopsy head off here - viewtopic.php?f=332&t=5442

Those seeking Inuit camp head off here - viewtopic.php?f=332&t=5443
Playing;

Keeping;