Walker in the Wastes OOC

"In June 1845, two Royal Navy vessels, H.M.S. Erebus and H.M.S. Terror under the command of Sir John Franklin departed the Shetland Islands on their quest to search for and chart the long sought North-West Passage. Initially the expedition made excellent progress, but this ended when they were beset by ice to the North of King William Island on 12th September 1846.

On 5th April 1848, the doomed vessels were abandoned and the remaining crew members attempted to head South to safety at trading posts in Canada. Unfortunately their trek was doomed to failure and all were doomed, so the public believe, to starvation, disease and the elements.

Tne investigators are part of a long-term experiment being conducted in the Northern reaches of Canada. Sponsored by the University of Toronto and The Canadian Government, the plan is for a select group of experts and scientists to live and work on a permanent base on the Adelaide peninsula near the location of some of the remains of some of the Franklin Expedition members previously discovered."

Moderator: Cearlan

andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Walker in the Wastes OOC

Post by andyw666 »

[dice]0[/dice]
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

I suspect you'll have more than enough time to generate a 2nd character, we're not exactly moving at a massive rate of knots.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

I've pm'd NFVD and if there has not been a reply in the next 24 hours or so ... I'll NPC the Doc until his return and add something to the rules to this effect.

We also have a new player, new to both the campaign and the game in general coming aboard in the next day or so, so I'll ask you all to open a warm and helping welcome to dustakr ... who'll be along shortly :)
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, dustakr! I look forward to going insane together.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Just to clarify, what secondary / back up characters occupations still need to be generated?
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by NFVD »

Cearlan wrote:I've pm'd NFVD and if there has not been a reply in the next 24 hours or so ... I'll NPC the Doc until his return and add something to the rules to this effect.
I was waiting for my PC to be warned that the men had returned and his presence was needed, as implied in the "go get the Doc" orders of Christopher to the Inuit guide woman. I assumed from the GM's description the PC was not close enough to the scene to just drop by, and there was no reason he was aware of to indicate anything out of the ordinary.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

NFVD wrote:
Cearlan wrote:I've pm'd NFVD and if there has not been a reply in the next 24 hours or so ... I'll NPC the Doc until his return and add something to the rules to this effect.
I was waiting for my PC to be warned that the men had returned and his presence was needed, as implied in the "go get the Doc" orders of Christopher to the Inuit guide woman. I assumed from the GM's description the PC was not close enough to the scene to just drop by, and there was no reason he was aware of to indicate anything out of the ordinary.
Probably my fault for the confusion then, I included Aippaq in my post as she's my main PC's companion and my backup character but was considering her an NPC so not really under my authority.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

ghill wrote:
NFVD wrote:
Probably my fault for the confusion then, I included Aippaq in my post as she's my main PC's companion and my backup character but was considering her an NPC so not really under my authority.
No my fault entirely .... Aippaq is an NPC and will do whatever she is asked, so I made the assumption that she had gone to get the doctor as requested.

Secondary characters are not under the auspices of players until their main character is incapacitated for whatever reason, simply back-up or reserves if you will ready to slip into action when needed.

Norman
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

I'll finish Balzac tomorrow chaps.
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by dustakr »

I posted my char in investigators topic, where to next..
Mr. Handy wrote:Welcome, dustakr! I look forward to going insane together.
Hello Mr. Handy, thanks for words...and Count me In.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Hey there dustakr! Jump in and post something in the "Part 1 The Dead of Winter" posting, just give an idea what your PC is up to.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Oh GM of Kind Goodness!! (I take -1SAN for using the dread invocation...)

Query about equipment:

I hadn't bothered to put in mundane stuff as I assumed a fair amount has been supplied by the expedition organisers, but perhaps I should have been more specific.

Could you give us some idea what sort of stuff has been supplied? Rather specifically for Dougal's needs (besides scotch whisky and tobacco), do we have work issue:
- Rifles
- Shotguns
- Ammunition for above
- Lamps or torches (trans into American, that would be 'flashlights', sorry) of some sturdy design.

Alternatively, would you be happy for me just to amend his equipment a tad to include a few more items like a double barrelled shotty?

Cheers,

Andy

PS Happy Easter (/pagan festivity) All, may ye olde arcane rabbit lurk through the night and leave you chocolate eggs the like of which No man Was Meant To Know.
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper

Post by NFVD »

I am sorry about the confusion, but I am unclear if my PC Dr. Newton is accompanying the forey or staying behind to go over the bodies? I think he would be more inclined to performing the autopsies than joining the rest of the gang, unless it fits the GM's plans more that he would be going along for the ride.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

andyw666 wrote:Oh GM of Kind Goodness!! (I take -1SAN for using the dread invocation...)

Query about equipment:

I hadn't bothered to put in mundane stuff as I assumed a fair amount has been supplied by the expedition organisers, but perhaps I should have been more specific.

Could you give us some idea what sort of stuff has been supplied? Rather specifically for Dougal's needs (besides scotch whisky and tobacco), do we have work issue:
- Rifles
- Shotguns
- Ammunition for above
- Lamps or torches (trans into American, that would be 'flashlights', sorry) of some sturdy design.

Alternatively, would you be happy for me just to amend his equipment a tad to include a few more items like a double barrelled shotty?

Cheers,

Andy

PS Happy Easter (/pagan festivity) All, may ye olde arcane rabbit lurk through the night and leave you chocolate eggs the like of which No man Was Meant To Know.
Andy - not really bothered about this with one proviso. As I posted earlier (in the "I'm thinking of running a game" section) we have this.

Since the mission is well funded, no-one is asked to bring any personal gear, through this is certainly not prohibited or even discouraged (though a 200 pound weight limit is set due to transportation restrictions). However, anyone attempting to bring along a semi-automatic, lever action or pump action firearm was asked not to since these types of firearms are more susceptible to malfunction in the extremely cold temperature. Such individuals are gently advised that bolt action rifles, break open shotguns and revolvers are much more suitable. Any character even hinting that they may bring along a fully automatic weapon would have been instantly and irrevocably disqualified and probably reported to the authorities to become subjects of a police investigation.

NFVD wrote:I am sorry about the confusion, but I am unclear if my PC Dr. Newton is accompanying the forey or staying behind to go over the bodies? I think he would be more inclined to performing the autopsies than joining the rest of the gang, unless it fits the GM's plans more that he would be going along for the ride.
Up to you if you stay or go NFVD ... the bodies will not thaw out enough to be able to carry out autopsies for ... oh let's say 18 hours or so -based on the length of time to fully defrost a frozen joint of meat and multiplying it for the increased body mass - probably wildly inaccurate but close enough to my mind
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper

Post by NFVD »

Oh Ok. It that case he will go, and bring his guns.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Cool stuff. Assume Fraser has also packed a double barrelled 12-gauge shotgun for polar bear potting.

Cheers,

Andy
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

#=$&#*$&!!!!

Boy, I guess we're all over that Spot Hidden skill like a rash.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

As Dougal is back in the fray, my secondary character Balzac will draw back into the shadows for the moment.
drone232
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by drone232 »

It has been around a week now. Where has everyone gone? Is the game still going? No one seems to have posted anything in a while.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Nothing else I can really add on my thread without some input from Cearlan.

Return to “Walker in the Wastes”