Walker in the Wastes OOC

"In June 1845, two Royal Navy vessels, H.M.S. Erebus and H.M.S. Terror under the command of Sir John Franklin departed the Shetland Islands on their quest to search for and chart the long sought North-West Passage. Initially the expedition made excellent progress, but this ended when they were beset by ice to the North of King William Island on 12th September 1846.

On 5th April 1848, the doomed vessels were abandoned and the remaining crew members attempted to head South to safety at trading posts in Canada. Unfortunately their trek was doomed to failure and all were doomed, so the public believe, to starvation, disease and the elements.

Tne investigators are part of a long-term experiment being conducted in the Northern reaches of Canada. Sponsored by the University of Toronto and The Canadian Government, the plan is for a select group of experts and scientists to live and work on a permanent base on the Adelaide peninsula near the location of some of the remains of some of the Franklin Expedition members previously discovered."

Moderator: Cearlan

Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Walker in the Wastes OOC

Post by Cearlan »

Out of Character things 8-)
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Re: Walker in the Wastes OOC

Post by NFVD »

Just a couple questions, because I'm quite in the dark here. :)

The expedition we are generating PCs for, where is it headed exactly and why? What is its goal? And who is funding all this?
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

I'll get my main character rolled up this evening.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

@NFVD
From the original posts in the 'I'm thinking of running a game' section
[quote="Cearlan"]If and when I run this you'll be on the group doing general scientific research on the region, the Inuit, as well as in depth research on the remains of the ill-fated Franklin Expedition.[/quote]

@Papa Gateau
Looking forward to it if the first couple are anything to go by
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper

Post by NFVD »

Cearlan wrote:@NFVD
*Groan*. Forcing me to check out wikipedia..grumble...grumble...

Ah, that Franklin Expedition. I wasn't sure if it was an historical event or something invented for the adventure. Turns out I've even played a boardgame based on it a couple times. Tottaly missed the connection.

An unrelated suggestion. We could use a thread to put replacement PCs in, folks could just roll them up and flesh out details later. Or do you want us to only make them later?

Edit: I'll be darned! Fate works in curious ways. Turns out the real Franklin Expedition was found 20 years after Walker in the Wastes came out. Eerie stuff...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I should be able to create my second character this weekend, probably the archaeologist/historian. Would I be playing both characters at the same time, or only one?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

@NFVD
Good idea about placement of secondary characters ... then you could either use them as a 'pool' to draw from or keep to your own as you would wish - I'll leave that for you, the players, to decide, but I'll set the other forum up after I finish this post.

What do you mean the 'real' Franklin expedition lol. Yeah I remember seeing the story unfold on the news. That may have been the 'real' expedition, but the truth behind how and why it came to it's grisly end is told herein ... it's true I tells ya! ;)

@ Mr Handy
Playing the main character only - though after seeing what I put up above in answer to NFVD, I guess you could put first dibs on your secondary character if you wish.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Aippaq looks great! As her sheet stands now, she should have 11 HP rather than 10 (it rounds up), but aren't we all supposed to have a minimum CON of 12?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper

Post by NFVD »

Can you beleive it? I forgot to list the guns hunting-loving Dr. Feigel is taking on the expedition. That unforgivable error has now been corrected.

He's really looking foward to the chance of bagging some critters on the way. Polar bears and Sea Lions beware!

As he busies himself packing his two favorite European-made guns, the good Doctor is getting a very good feeling about this trip. :D
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Papa Gateau wrote:I'll get my main character rolled up this evening.
I lied - I'll get the character sorted today - atm I'm leaning towards an anthropologist.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

Mr. Handy wrote:Aippaq looks great! As her sheet stands now, she should have 11 HP rather than 10 (it rounds up), but aren't we all supposed to have a minimum CON of 12?
When they were hired she and Lewis lied about her overall health, as they hadn't had her early onset of TB diagnosed as such.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

ghill wrote:
Mr. Handy wrote:Aippaq looks great! As her sheet stands now, she should have 11 HP rather than 10 (it rounds up), but aren't we all supposed to have a minimum CON of 12?
When they were hired she and Lewis lied about her overall health, as they hadn't had her early onset of TB diagnosed as such.
In truth this does present some opportunity for role-play so I'll let it roll (geddit?)

With regard to meta-gaming, the only drawback would be when a CON roll is required, you would stand a greater chance of failure, but if you are prepared to accept that then so am I. That and the resultant drop in hit points of course.

Norman
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

Cearlan wrote:With regard to meta-gaming, the only drawback would be when a CON roll is required, you would stand a greater chance of failure, but if you are prepared to accept that then so am I. That and the resultant drop in hit points of course.
I'm happy with that, I prefer the role play opportunity.

G
drone232
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by drone232 »

My secondary character is now ready. He is a student of the first and, while not exactly professional, may be an invaluable aide should my first investigator become incompacitated. He is currently house sitting for my first investigator, but can travel to the expedition should his aide be required.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

drone232 wrote:My secondary character is now ready. He is a student of the first and, while not exactly professional, may be an invaluable aide should my first investigator become incompacitated. He is currently house sitting for my first investigator, but can travel to the expedition should his aide be required.
Due to the expedition being all but cut off due to the severe Canadian Arctic winter, may I suggest that he is actually part of the expedition.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
drone232
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by drone232 »

Cearlan wrote:
drone232 wrote:My secondary character is now ready. He is a student of the first and, while not exactly professional, may be an invaluable aide should my first investigator become incompacitated. He is currently house sitting for my first investigator, but can travel to the expedition should his aide be required.
Due to the expedition being all but cut off due to the severe Canadian Arctic winter, may I suggest that he is actually part of the expedition.
Sorry, I had no idea how the actual secondary character thing worked. I assumed that after the first character died, the second one was then taken control of. I will alter the character description of Jack Reynolds to state that he is tagging along for the ride and that this is his first foriegn expedition. I will, however, ask whether or not the primary and secondary characters are controlled at the same time or if the secondary character is just assumed to be in the adventure, but not actually roleplayed until the primary character becomes incompacitated. I have yet to do a campaign both online and in real life and thus only have experience of one-shots that do not make use of backup characters.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

@Drone232
As I stated earlier, Walker in the Wastes is a fairly deadly game so it is likely that characters will either go insane or die, so rather than have a hiatus for a player whilst the secondary character arrives on scene, especially considering the harsh Arctic environment all but isolating the expedition from the outside world, it makes sense to have the secondary investigators in situ.

They will not be role-played until needed.

Not normally an issue I know, but the party WILL be pretty much isolated throughout the winter months where the 'prologue' scenario takes place.

@all
Once we get Andy's character up and running, we are good to go
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper

Post by NFVD »

I have made my replacement PC. I am a bit of a sucker for rolling characters that the party needs so I did one that fits a dual role as indicated in the rules, a Geologist/Photographer.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Post by andyw666 »

Hi Team, very sorry for being tardy, I shall be ready very shortly.

If the GM has no objections, I shall take the archaeologist spot - Dr Dougal Fraser, Scottish field archaeologist.

Sorry again for the hold-up, will be there in a jiff.

Cheers,

Andy

PS Given I'm a bit behind the eight-ball time wise anyway, don't worry about a secondary PC for me - I shall be happy to play whatever is spare if / when Dougal falls foul of something big and tentacled.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Post by andyw666 »

Time to roll some stats...

[dice]0[/dice]

[dice]1[/dice]

[dice]2[/dice]

[dice]3[/dice]

[dice]4[/dice]