Page 1 of 1

Rules for Walker in the Wastes

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:46 am
by Cearlan
Rules

I'll list some general rules and guidelines here in this thread. I tend to be pretty "rules-light" when I play, but certainly we'll be using the rule-book to guide much of the action. I have various versions of the CoC rulebook, I shall use 6th edition, but I don't think there's much difference between most of the later versions. Feel free to correct me if I've made a mistake (which will inevitably happen! ). Botany and Zoology are now covered under Biology and I shall amend requirements accordingly.

Dice Rolls
You may use our new dice roller if you will or invisible castle, the choice is your as to which you feel most comfortable with.

Posting
There will be no tight posting requirements on this game, just as long as people post twice a week that will suffice. If for whatever reason you are going to be unable to post for a period, please let me know on the game OOC so that arrangements can be made. I like the way some of the other Keepers run their games and so I'm adopting a convention I've seen. For the IC threads, try to color-code different kinds of text, possibly using the following:

Descriptive text can just be the default black
A character's thoughts should be italicized and in green - color=#008000
Something a character says will be blue - color=#0040FF
And anything OOC in an IC thread should be red - color=#FF4000

That just gives the text a little flavor and makes it easier to follow, I've found. Also, in some games character names are posted in bold so as to differentiate them from the rest of the text - personally I am not too concerned but if you want to go ahead. It is also a good idea if you put your character name (and optionally their picture) at the top of your posts.

So that's pretty much it. I may amend this as we go, but for now it'll do as a starting point. Comments and thoughts are welcome.

Re: Rules for Walker in the Wastes

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:59 am
by Mr. Handy
Cartography (or Map Making) was also merged into Navigate, I believe.

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:26 am
by Cearlan
Mr. Handy wrote:Cartography (or Map Making) was also merged into Navigate, I believe.
Amended thanks

Norman

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:48 am
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome. The only skill listed in the requirements that still isn't on the regular character sheet is Taxidermy, but I think that should probably be a Craft skill.

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:43 pm
by Cearlan
Mr. Handy wrote:You're welcome. The only skill listed in the requirements that still isn't on the regular character sheet is Taxidermy, but I think that should probably be a Craft skill.
Agreed, but apparently many zoologists back then were accomplished taxidermists so that they could show off their 'works'

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:23 am
by drone232
Dice Rolls
You may use our new dice roller if you will or invisible castle, the choice is your as to which you feel most comfortable with.

I am currently using insisble castle (which I just found out exists today). You say that I can use "our new dice roller", but I don't know what that is. What is it and how do I use it?

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:01 am
by Mr. Handy
This site has a built-in dice roller that uses the "dice" tags. The instructions for using it are here.

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:56 pm
by drone232
Thank you Mr. Handy
Let me try this now. If I were to reroll my education then it would be [dice]1[/dice]

Yay! it works. This will come in handy Mr. Handy. Please not that I am not actually rerolling my characteristics, this is only a test.
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome! The dice roller is useful when Invisible Castle is down, but it has its limits. For instance, you can't mix types of dice (such as 1d6+1d4) in a single roll.

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:03 pm
by Cearlan
Mr. Handy wrote:You're welcome! The dice roller is useful when Invisible Castle is down, but it has its limits. For instance, you can't mix types of dice (such as 1d6+1d4) in a single roll.
You could do two separate rolls though and add the two rolls together.

Let's be honest here, We are all (I assume) adults here and want to play a ROLE playing game as opposed to ROLL playing, so in truth I believe that we can all trust each other on an honour system not to cheat as this would only spoil the game for all concerned, but mainly for the person cheating

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:22 am
by andyw666
Test fire...

[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:23 am
by andyw666
Cool, got it.

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:35 pm
by Cearlan
I think a rule concerning the length of absence / non-posting is called for.

Would we say a period of five days should result in the character being NPC'd until the player returns. If everyone is in agreement I'll make it so!

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:04 am
by andyw666
Sounds fair.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy
That sounds good to me as well.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:32 am
by drone232
Cearlan wrote:I think a rule concerning the length of absence / non-posting is called for.

Would we say a period of five days should result in the character being NPC'd until the player returns. If everyone is in agreement I'll make it so!
I check this place everyday, so that wouldn't be a problem for me.
Wonderful idea to keep thiings going.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:27 am
by Papa Gateau
Fine by me.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:22 am
by ghill
I'd suggest even less time if the players input isn't vital. A gap of five days plays merry hell with continuity.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:28 am
by NFVD
Cearlan wrote:I think a rule concerning the length of absence / non-posting is called for.
Hear, hear.
Cearlan wrote:Would we say a period of five days should result in the character being NPC'd until the player returns. If everyone is in agreement I'll make it so!
I agree with ghill that 5 days is too long a hiatus. The period should be shorter.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:52 pm
by Cearlan
NFVD wrote:
Hear, hear.
Cearlan wrote:Would we say a period of five days should result in the character being NPC'd until the player returns. If everyone is in agreement I'll make it so!
I agree with ghill that 5 days is too long a hiatus. The period should be shorter.
What should we make it then? Say two, or maybe three days? Suggestions please campers - after all this is your game!

Norman

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:42 pm
by NFVD
I'd say 2 days, increased to 3 if it is the weekend.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:16 pm
by ghill
That would seem reasonable to me unless anyone has any strenuous objections.