Page 1 of 1

Part One - The Dead of Winter

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:12 pm
by Cearlan
In June 1845, two Royal Navy vessels, H.M.S. Erebus and H.M.S. Terror under the command of Sir John Franklin departed the Shetland Islands on their quest to search for and chart the long sought North-West Passage. Both ships were sturdy barques, relics of the Napoleonic wasrs and so were well suited for Arctic duties. Initially the expedition made excellent progress, but this ended when they were beset by ice to the North of King William Island on 12th September 1846.

On 5th April 1848, the doomed vessels were abandoned and the remaining crew members attempted to head South to safety at trading posts in Canada. Unfortunately their trek was doomed to failure and all were doomed, so the public believe, to starvation, disease and the elements.

While the location of the Erebus and several bodies have been discovered and exhumed in recent years, this investigation pre-dates the modern sonar equipment used post 2000.

The investigators are part of a long-term experiment being conducted in the Northern reaches of Canada. Sponsored by the University of Toronto and The Canadian Government, the plan is for a select group of experts and scientists to live and work on a permanent base on the Adelaide peninsula near the location of some of the remains of some of the Franklin Expedition members previously discovered.

There are numerous duties to be performed by the current expedition, but the real fate of the Franklin Expedition is paramount. Evidence of insanity among the Franklin Expedition crew members has been explained, perhaps too conveniently, by a wide variety of theories, ranging from lead poisoning to their being isolated for so long. Inuit tales of Englishmenn and abandoned ships cry out for further scrutiny. Why for example, would men, weakened to the point of exhaustion from disease, malnutrition and the elements drag monstrous 650 pound sledges loaded with tons of useless equipment for countless miles. Theories of British military tradition doesn't add up, and if there was mass insanity, then what was the cause of it?

(As a side note - this could be put down to lead poisoning due to scurvy due to inadequate nutrition and poor soldering on tin cans but this was not known in the 1920's).

The expedition has been at the camp since June 1927 and it is now the second week of November 1928. Since you arrival in the Arctic, the group has been busy conducting a wide variety of experiments and exploring the region. The work is generally mundane and boring, though each member's dedication to their field of expertise has so far prevented depression setting in. Occasional moments of excitement break up the routine such as only last week when Jack Reynolds fell through some thin ice and wound up in the chill Arctic waters, much the the merriment of the group. This is a constant threat out here and even the inuit guides cannot always tell where it is safe to tread. The few days before, Dr. Newton Feigel, whilst on a field trip managed to bag a polar bear which suplied the group and dogs with some much needed fresh meat.

Perhaps the greates talking point so far was the plight of the crew of the airship Italia which crashed on the ice-cap whilst returning from it's flight over the North Pole. This occurred on 25th Mat 1928, and whilst several crew members, including the Commander, Umberto Nobile and curiously his fox terrier Titiana, were eventually rescued, the disjointed and poorly organised international rescue effort proved a source of great concern to expedition members. After all, if such a rescue mission cannot be properly carried out when the weather is at it's best, what hope is there for the harsh winter periods? However, we have great members on this expedition with excellent skills and tons of supplies available to us. There have been a few minor injuries, but nothing of note. So after all, what could possibly go wrong?

Re: Part One - The Dead of Winter

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:38 pm
by Mr. Handy

Diana Veness is in her lab, analyzing some of the samples of vegetable matter she has taken through her microscope. There were some ways that they were like every other plant in every other part of the world. All plant cells had cell walls and were green from chlorophyll, but the arctic plants had key differences. They were built hardier for one thing. Otherwise they'd never have been able to survive in this inhospitable climate. I suppose I'm built hardier too, she thinks. I've managed to survive up here all this time as well. Another seven months and I'll get to go home at last. I'm pratically in the home stretch already.

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:17 pm
by NFVD

Dr. Newtwon Feigel is a happy man of late. Taking down that polar bear, and not just for the sake of throphy but for meat and fur like the hunters of old, is something that will be talked about for years to come at the Lodge Hunters Fellowship Association back in Arkham once he gets back home. Not that he's dying to get back, the trip proved more than worth it. The vistas are magnificent and the Aurora Borealis alone where worth the price of admission.

Most of his rol in the expedition so far has delt with minor cuts or abrasions and keeping frostbite at bay. Thankfully there have not been any severe injuries or, God forbid, deaths under his watch; though he found Reynolds' recent artic swim less amusing than most. The possibility of hypothermia isn't something you joke about. The part he dislikes about his job here is having to play nutricionist. Like some concerned father, he must be on the lookout for what people are eating and any signs of malnutrition. Up here, with so little sun and so much canned food vitamin intake is especially important. All the theories about the fate of Frankil's expedition only helped increase his concern on this matter, and a running joke among the expedition members compares him to a hawk-eeyd mess hall monitor when folks have having their grub.

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:38 pm
by ghill
Patrick Lewis

Outside the wind is biting cold as Patrick walks among his sled dogs checking their leashes are tight and each has a slab of bear meat. Baked or boiled in a soup or stew it is a primary source of food for the Inuit, but its greasy, coarse texture doesn't appeal to Lewis at all. Worse its nearly winter and this bear diet was made up entirely of fish and seal rather than berries gives the meat a strong oily taste and makes it even less palatable. Happy, all the dogs are fed and secure he looks over to where Aippaq is doing the same with her team. He waits as she is overtaken by a coughing fit, watches as she spits a deep red gobbet of blood into the snow.

"Go inside, get warm , I'll take a walk around the camp's perimiter its always better to be worried about the bear you do not see rather than the one you do"

The Inuit woman simply wipes her bloody lips and nods turning back towards the hut and warmth.

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:20 am
by Cearlan
It is the afternoon of Saturday 10th November 1928 whilst the camp is going about it's normal day to day routine of cataloging and classifying samples. Due to the virtual endless night however there is little to see other than a grand display of the so-called "Northern Lights".

Dr. Christopher Hamilton, the geologist and Poo-Yet-Tah the guide are out of the camp on a field trip to the North-West looking for geological anomalies, something he has done countless times before, but without success to date. They left sometime about 10:30 and it is now approaching 15:00 hrs.

Patrick hears the baying of the returning dogs first closely followed by Aippaq. Suddenly they spy the sled approaching at speed, something the normally careful Christopher Hamilton would not do, something must be wrong. As the sled pulls up Poo-Yet-Tah quickly starts to unhitch the dogs gesturing for Patrick to help. You cannot see what is on the sled, though you can see that there is obviously something which is covered by animal skins.

Christopher gestures to Aippaq and asks her "Go bring the doctor as quick as you can," adding that "There is something he needs to see urgently."

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:16 am
by ghill
Patrick Lewis

Patrick pushes through the snow and quickly takes the harness of the lead dog from Poo-Yet-Tah, ready to lead it and the rest away.

"Whats up Doc?, Whose hurt?"
OOC:   Lewis is assuming Hamilton would only be asking for the doc if someone was hurt.  

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:55 am
by Papa Gateau

Jesse looks up from his notes at the sound of the approaching dogs, he takes out his pocket watch and checks the time Fifteen hundred he mutters under breath shouldn't be leaving it this late to get back, I'll have a word with them over dinner he places the watch back in his pocket and absent mindedly massages his right thigh and hip.

His thoughts drift back to his notes in front him.

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:16 pm
by drone232
Richard M. Harding.jpg
Richard M. Harding.jpg (17.85 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Professor Harding overhears the commotion from outside the camp. He is not concerned. Everything has become quite slow and monotonous within the camp and there have been few disturbances to intterrupt the work of the team. Whatever has happenned will likewise not interrupt the team and they are well enough equipped to deal with whatever it may be. He is in no rush to see what has occured for he will find out soon enough. It will be dealt with and everything will return to normalcy. For now he continues writing his report of the samples taken from the few local wildlife with the help of his assistant Jack. Jack, however, is restless and is eager to know what new events are transpiring.

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy

When Diana hears the commotion outside, she pauses her work and goes to look out the window, curiosity getting the better of her. Her samples will still be there later.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:38 am
by NFVD
Dr. Newtwon Feigel

(assuming Aippaq has come to warn him his presence is required)

The good doctor follows the guide to the scene where men are congregating around the newly-returned sleds. Having no clear idea of what is going on, and weary of the language barrier between him and Aippaq he came fully prepared, hauling his doctor's bag and portable instruments with him.

"What is the matter? Someone hurt?" he asks upon arrival.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:49 am
by andyw666
Dougal Fraser was propped against a table in the communal dining room, quietly puffing on his pipe and reading a text on the Franklin expedition, making notes in a notebook as he did. A small glass of scotch was on the table at his elbow. Fraser was dreaming of conducting a complete archeological exploration of the Franklin ships.

Fraser heard the commotion outside but ignored it for the moment, assuming it was nothing too serious.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:13 pm
by Cearlan
As Dr Feigel approaches the group, Dr Hamilton says "Thank God you are here Doc ... I think you need to look at this." He looks pointedly at Aippaq and says softly,

"if you could please give us a few moments. Go and get Mr. Richard if you would be so kind my dear."

Once she departs to carry out her task, more than a little miffed at being so summarily dismissed, Dr Hamilton says, "Prepare yourself gentlemen," before he slowly removes the hides covering the sled's gruesome cargo.

Lying there are two frozen and severely mauled native men. What little you can make out in the dim light and with the frozen states of the two bodies is that a large chest wound on one and abdominal injuries on both men with several trauma sites on various limbs. Both have also been ravaged by extreme temperatures, as indicated through severely marked frostbite on nearly all the exposed flesh. What remains of their shredded clothing is caked and soaked in frozen blood, both on the inside and outside of their hides.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:28 pm
by NFVD
With his usual cold professional attitude Dr. Newton approaches the bodies and takes a closer look.

"What did this did this? A bear? Where did you find them?"
Spoiler:
The doctor will try to determine if the cause of death looks, on first sight, to be animal-related. And to make a guess at how long ago it happened.

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:17 am
by andyw666
Fraser keeps half an ear on whatever is happening outside, in case it sounds more interesting than Hamilton's "geological anomalies".

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:34 pm
by Cearlan
Dr Newton,The bodies are frozen solid so it is difficult to get too much from them other than what I have already posted. One of the bodies right arm has been severedsomehow, though frostbite has ruined any chance of gaining more information at the moment. Your experience of hunting tells you that if it was a Polar Bear or similar predator - then it was an immense one, certainly a lot larger than the one you 'bagged' recently.

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:33 pm
by Mr. Handy

Diana watches from the window, wondering if someone has been hurt, though she can't see the details from here. Dr. Feigel should be able to handle it, she thinks. If he wants my assistance, he'll send for me.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:50 am
by NFVD
"Well..." says the doctor, "Let's get them inside and under the light so I can get a better look."

Dr Newton begins leading the effort of taking the bodies into whatever space has been set aside for infirmary duties. He recalls that he has not peformed autopsies since his days as a medical student. He also begins wondering on how long it will take the bodies to thaw under these conditions to permit one. While the bodies are being taken he sends word to the other members of the expedition with knowledge of medicine and those who know about the local fauna, asking them to come and lend a hand once the bodies are set up for a more thorough analysis.
Spoiler:
Given the gruesome nature of the bodies I don't think the doctor would send for Diana despite her biological expertise, as such a sight might disturb her feminine sensibilities. However I don't wish to impede Mr. Handy from enjoying participating on ths scene, so we may just assume someone else with less chivalrious scruples warns Diana anyway, or that she overhears what is going on.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:18 am
by dustakr
Conroe just been awake for sometimes now, he had his share of sleep already, Not getting in his working boots.. walking towards kitchen..thinking about time he has spent over this expedition and how much rewarding it should have been..There must be something else to eat in kitchen..running second trip to kitchen by now.

Hearing of commotion outside made him loose his thought of train for a moment..but he resisted on leaving kitchen, Prepared mustard sandwich for himself, stuffed it in his mouth before heading back to barracks.

Conroe makes entry in his journal as he speaks to himself 'meeting with Dr. Hamilton after last field-trip delayed'
ooc,.. [color=#FF4000] That train of thought was little different than I thought, I am not sure, I just wanted him to listen the commotion and then go outside expecting Dr. Hamilton returned.[/color]

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:15 pm
by ghill
Patrick Lewis

Would have to be one big bear to do this sort of damage, but I can't imagine it was it was a Polar Bear. Polar bears doesn't waste time and energy killing things they're not going to eat. Patrick pauses for a moment thinking. Where about did you find the bodies doc? Is it worth taking a dog team out and taking a look around?

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:02 pm
by Cearlan
ghill wrote:Patrick Lewis Where about did you find the bodies doc? Is it worth taking a dog team out and taking a look around?
"Me and Poo-Yet-Tah were out to the North West of the camp looking for possible anything of interest geologically speaking." says Chris. "We found the bodies about eighteen miles out and were just about to start back when we saw the grisly remains. At first we were not sure what it was as snow had covered their bodies. An arm sticking out of a drift was the only initial clue and on closer inspection this is what we managed to uncover. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your view, we passed within about six feet or so of the arm otherwise we may have missed it completely - it was Poo-Yet-Tah that saw it first. The site itself looks as though an artillery shell had gone off.

Poo-Yet-Tah is making a sour face as Chris tells the story.

Meanwhile, Aippaq, still angry at the way she was all but dissmissed from the group decides to take it upon herself to get everyone out there so goes round to tell everyone that there is some sort of discovery that has been made. Before Diana can leave to join the group however, Aippaq puts an hand on her arm and warns her I was sent away so whatever it is may be 'unpleasant' ha!"
  "These stupid men, how do they think we innuit women survive? Is it not us that carve up the carcasses that the men bring home from their hunts - ha!"  
Aippaq mutters under her breath as she goes to get the next person

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:11 pm
by drone232
Upon hearing the news of a some local men's death due to an animal, Professor Harding comes in to see if he can offer any help. He is expressionless with his hands clasped behind his back as he enters the room, his face changes to mild shock and his hands move to his sides when he sees the bodies. He looks upon them with his eyes moving from claw mark to claw mark as he examines the carnage. He looks up towards the others in the room and as he looks among them them, he asks "Do we know what did this?"

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:16 pm
by NFVD
Dr. Newton Feigel

"Hamilton, what do you mean by the site looking like an artillery shell had gone off? You mean like a crater, or was the ground burnt?"

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:21 pm
by Cearlan
OOC:   At present the bodies are lying on a sledge in the "lean-to" beside the kennels, at #19 on the base camp map. I'll assume everyone in attendance is suitably dressed for the occasion ;)  
Chris replies to Professor Harding, "Nothing more than something big at this point, we may know more when the bodies get a chance to defrost and thaw out so that we can examine them in a bit more detail. Shall we get them inside first?"

Then turning Newton to he answers; "No Doc, not like the devastation that would cause a crater or even burnt ground, It was more like the mud-fields of Ypres or the Somme, pray God we never see the likes again. It looked as though a hundred men had set upon these two by the tracks, though I admit I am no skilled woodsman. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression, but you'd have to see it yourself to understand."

Poo-Yet-Tah edges away from the group as more people come to see what has occured. He stands looking out towards the North-West, his face unreadable in the deepening gloom.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:24 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Aippaq," says Diana with a knowing smile. "I shall steel myself." She's sure that the men only think they're being protective, but she's determined to show that she's capable of withstanding whatever they can. She puts on her parka and heads out to the open area near the kennels to see what is happening, arriving in time to catch the end of the conversation. I haven't seen the sort of thing they're talking about, she thinks, but I know how it affected Roger. If only we had stayed out of that horrible war, he'd have been spared all of that.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:14 pm
by dustakr
Conroe gets message of Dr. Hamilton's return and situation outside, he goes outside, what are they expecting from me now?..Conroe sees the sledge 'Dr. Hamilton, was it not obvious to pick up an unidentified cargo like never'..'It must have been something big they had fended but failed, did you find any weapon on them or at site '

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:15 am
by andyw666
Having been summoned by the nice young (heathen) Inuit lady, Fraser puts his text down and quickly knocks back the last of his scotch. Nae rest for the wicked.

Fraser ambles out to the gathering and spies the bodies. Pipe out, he quickly crosses himself then the pipe is back between the teeth.
OOC,[color=#FF0000]OOC: Would a History roll reveal any prior instances of such hideous attacks up here in the Arctic wastes?[/color]

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:13 am
by Papa Gateau

Jesse receives the summons and dresses himself in his outdoor wear, before joining the group at the sled.

He takes a quick look at the injuries and then walks over to Poo-Yet-Tah It is unusual for a polar bear to attack men, is it not? he asks in inuit And those kinds of injuries would have to be caused by a very large bear. Have you ever seen a bear large enough to cause injuries like that?

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:52 pm
by ghill
Patrick Lewis.

Overhearing Jesse's words to Poo-Yet-Tah. Not true I'm afraid Jesse, Polar bears will likely take a man as anything else it can put its teeth into. What it doesn't do is waste effort killing a thing and then not eating it. They don't go into killing for the fun of it.

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:12 pm
by NFVD
Dr. Newton Feigel

"A female with cubs might kill anything she perceives as a threat, without eating it. But a polar she-bear large enough to maul men like this...?"
the dorctor's voice trails off for a moment. "What a record! Well, let us get these poor souls where they may thaw faster and maybe answer a few questions."

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:18 am
by Cearlan
Chris says, "No Conroe, there was no sign of any weapons, but I did only a cursory search as I thought that is something this dangerous was out there, then we could have been in danger ourselves. As for this being a female Polar Bear - I was always under the impression that females of almost any species tend to be slighter than their male counterparts - begging your pardon there Diana."
Dougal Fraser,Go for a History roll if you think it will help.
As Jesse and Patrick talk to Poo-Yet-Tah, the Inuit guise merely shakes his head. "It's not likely to be Polar Bears that caused these wounds." but will say no more as he stare out into the darkness.
OOC:   Psychology rolls please ghill and papa.  

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"No offense taken, Chris," says Diana. "It's certainly true in my case, and in general, but every rule has its exceptions. And there is no creature more ferocious than a female protecting her young."

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:27 am
by andyw666
[dice]0[/dice]

(Fraser's History skill is 75%.)

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:40 am
by andyw666
Fraser removes his pipe and clears his throat politely.

"Eh, lads, speaking archeological time scales for a minute, those poor souls could actually have been frozen in the ice for a very long time, maybe? Perhaps some recent storm just unearthed them?"

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:36 pm
by Cearlan
Fraser,You are not aware of any recorded incidents or reports of such a large predator - even the largest Polar Bear you have heard of would be about half to two-thirds the size of whatever did this 'creature.'

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:56 pm
by ghill
Cearlan wrote:As Jesse and Patrick talk to Poo-Yet-Tah, the Inuit guide merely shakes his head. "It's not likely to be Polar Bears that caused these wounds." but will say no more as he stare out into the darkness.
Patrick tries to read Poo-Yet-Tah's face but finds it inscrutable and has no insight into the mans thinking

PSychology 5%: 1d100=6

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:23 pm
by dustakr
Conroe walks forward and leans over to sledge, goes through layers of cloths on the bodes '..so even after getting distracted from your field-trip..you never get the chance to search them thoroughly...'

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:00 am
by Cearlan
dustakr wrote:Conroe walks forward and leans over to sledge, goes through layers of cloths on the bodes '..so even after getting distracted from your field-trip..you never get the chance to search them thoroughly...'
OOC:   The clothing and everything underneath is frozen solid.  
As Conroe's hand touches the clothing you find it is frozen and you estimate it will remain so for a few hours yet, even if the bodies are taken inside the camp building.

Poo-Yet-Tah continues to stare out into the dark shrouded ice field of King William Island. Finally he speaks quietly "There are vague legends which I was told by my father when I was a child of a terrible spirit that could cause such murderous devastation. I can only dimly remember them though, fragments of the story. I do remember that the tales gave me terrible dreams for years."

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:40 am
by andyw666
Fraser takes a few thoughtful puffs.

"Ah'm fairly certain there's never before been a reported case up here of such an attack, by something so large. Although, considering where we are, half of what happens up here has probably never been reported. No one to report it and no one to report it to."

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:49 am
by ghill
Patrick Lewis

"Interesting as it is, it clearly happened a long time ago and its hardly connected to the expedition. Unless people are so bored with their current work load and they want to investigate abominable snow men" says Patrick

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:42 am
by Cearlan
Poo-Yet-Tah turns round and says to Patrick, "No ... they died in the last few days - look at the blood, if it had happened a long time ago as you say, then the blood would be more blackened by the ice and snow. I know this from when I find old carcasses on the ice - it helps to know when meat may be rotten. These are freshly slain. They should really be returned to their tribe as a mark of respect to the deaad."

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:13 pm
by ghill
OOC:   How will the Inuit feel about us doing some kind of impromptu autopsy on the bodies? Not well I assume.  

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:00 pm
by Cearlan
ghill wrote:
OOC:   How will the Inuit feel about us doing some kind of impromptu autopsy on the bodies? Not well I assume.  
OOC:   He would understand if it was explained the reason why you felt an autopsy would be of benefit.  

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:00 pm
by NFVD
Dr. Newton Feigel

The good doctor begins explaining to Poo-Yet-Tah just what the paleface custom of "autopsy" is, and why he feels it would be advantageous and proper to perfom one in this situation.

"The bodies can be made to look presentable and clothed after it is done, then returned to their tribe." he reassures the Inuit, "And speaking of which, can you tell the tribe these poor folks belonged to, and do you know where they live?"

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:00 pm
by Cearlan
Poo-Yet-Tah bends down and examines the two bodies closely.

"I believe they are two hunters from the Red Caribou clan. We have not encountered them yet as they tend to be secretive and keep themselves apart from the rest of the world. As to where they live, the clans tend to move around according to local conditions, fishing. hunting and so on."

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:29 pm
by drone232
Speaking to those gathered, Professor Harding states

"If we can find this "Red Caribou Clan" then not only can we return their fellow clansmen to them, but also ask whether they know of the animal perpetuated these acts and where it might be. Since whatever killed them is seemingly unknown to science then it would be a great boon to our expidition to be able to catalouge it and possibly return with a specimen for research, dead of course. I'm sure Dr. Newton Feigel wouln't be against felling a creature even greater then the polar bear he has already downed

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:47 am
by andyw666
Sensing a lull in the conversation, Fraser thinks the assorted academics may need a little guidance before the gathering turns into a very cold faculty debating session.

"First order of business, Mr Lewis, perhaps you and the native guides could get these remains into a storage room for Doc F, wherever he wants, to dethaw."

"Now, lads and lassie, we need to go examine this site where the bodies were found. This could be a new species of polar bear unknown to science. An historic discovery, conceivably even of relevance to the fate of the Franklin expedition. And if nothing else, we need to know about it for our own safety."

"I suggest all departments heads except Doc F, who needs to look at the bodies, journey out first thing in the morning, with the guides, and Hamilton to show us the way. And we take rifles and shotguns of course, no animal in this earth except maybe an elephant is going to stand up to half a dozen shots."

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"I could assist Dr. Feigel in examining the bodies," suggests Diana. "I'd be a lot more use there than on a hunt." And I'd rather not run into whatever killed these two, she thinks.

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:02 am
by dustakr
Conroe moves away from sledge,'... Well Dr. Hamilton it's always pleasure to know and share insight about expedition of yours...
I think we should wait until what Dr. Has to say about the bodies, We now know where this site is, we can send guide alone to gather various samples required to determine if there is anything interesting remained worth expedition, meanwhile we can search for our tribal friends to send bodies back.'

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:30 pm
by Cearlan
Snow starts to fall fairly heavily on the camp. as Poo-Yet-Tah stares out into the darkness once more. He eventually turns back to the group and announces; "Although it goes against the Inuit ways I can see that what you say does indeed carry grains of sense in it, and so I will allow it, though I do so with a heavy heart. But I must insist that the bodies are not carved open any more than your needs dictate. We do need to know what we are likely to be coming face to face with after all. I will trust you to make good on your word that they be made as presentable as possible for the clan shaman to be able to perform his rites of passage." He closes his eyes and seems to drag memories from deep within his mind.

"I only ever encountered the Red Caribou twice, and both times it was more like they allowed me to encounter them. In both cases it seemed as though they simply rose out of the ground - I had no idea that there were any other living things around. In both cases they 'advised me to change course and head in a different direction,' They said it was to avoid crevasses in the ice and a female Polar Bear's nest and was for my own safety. Of course I didn't really believe them, after all I was a fairly experienced hunter myself by then and knew the signs and had not seen any till that point. Was it a veiled threat - probably, but at the time I never saw it as such." A wry smirk crosses his usually taciturn face.

"I guess what I am saying is that the clan could be less than a mile away and unless they wanted to be found, it would take something exceptional to find them. Hunters rarely stray far from their base camp unless the hunting dictates it, so where we found the bodies may indicate a good place to start, maybe not. It may be easier to find the site where we found the bodies than to find the clan. The longer we leave this the harder it is going to be due to there being no "daylight" to speak of at this time of the year so I would suggest leaving now rather than waiting till another night's snowfall covers the ground."

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:15 pm
by ghill
Patrick Lewis

"I'll go harness the dogs" says Patrick pulling his up as protection from the wind and hurrying away through the snow.

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:59 pm
by Papa Gateau
Keeper,Sorry a bit late but here's a Psychology[50] roll if it's still relevant 40 - success http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4814061/
Jesse speaks with Poo-Yet-Tah I would hear more of the legends that your father spoke of, of the terrible spirit, whatever fragments you may remember...or maybe there are elders of other clans near by that would these tales?

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:40 pm
by Cearlan
Papa Gateau wrote:Jesse speaks with Poo-Yet-Tah I would hear more of the legends that your father spoke of, of the terrible spirit, whatever fragments you may remember...or maybe there are elders of other clans near by that would these tales?
"I can remember little more than I have already said to you, though the name "Yiighe" seems to ring some sort of bell for me = it means shadow, spirit or ghost in my native tongue depending how it is used. I cannot say for definite that this is connected, but my gut feeling is that it is.

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:41 am
by andyw666
Fraser grins around his pipe.

"Right lads and lassie, fortune and glory await. Shotguns, rifles, torches, emergency kit, can anyone use a camera?"

"Not only a possible new carnivorous species in the Arctic, but an unknown Inuit tribe? That ought to make the Royal Society sit up."

Fraser hurries inside to collect his old service revolver and a double barrelled shotgun, and to make sure his hip flask is topped up. He also collects his leather roll of archeological tools and a torch (flashlight).

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:02 pm
by drone232
Profressor Harding turns to leave and says

""I have some experience in photography. I will go back to my bunk and gather together my camra supplies, tools for gathering samples, and a large flashlight. Perhaps, also, a thicker coat.

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:30 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You should probably have Aippaq accompany you," says Diana. "It's better to have two guides than one. Roger, I'm sure your marksmanship will be welcome. Just be careful, dear."

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:04 pm
by dustakr
'shadow, spirit or ghost its all typical considering what more we can find in dark out there..Well Dr. Hamilton I will be in my barrack, let me know if you need anything..just don't leave without me..' Conroe goes back inside to check on his notes..

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:22 pm
by Cearlan
Chris says "Right then folks, it's settled then, let's say everyone who is going meet back here in 45 minutes."
OOC:   Basically a list of who is going and who is staying behind.

Chris, Jason Decker, Davis Horning Poo-Yet-Tah and Aippac are going with Dr Cornelius Brand remaining behind.  

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:01 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'll stay behind to help examine the bodies.

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:20 pm
by ghill
Patrick Lewis

Patrick pulls up with the first of two dog sleds he's prepared. Excuse me Diana, I'm sure you're not trying to be disrespectful, but I've been trapping and scouting these lands since the war, I speak Inuit and I'm hired on as a guide....and if you want someone else you can get your own damn dogs. he says with a with a tone of voice just short of a snarl, before turning and heading back towards the storage sheds.
PATRICK thinking:   No one Is sending Aippac out into this cold, and certainly not on some god damn goose chase, not when she can be safe in the warm.  
OOC:   Oi, that is my secondary character you're all trying to put into play!!! I'm not even dead yet :P  
OOC:   Back in the storage sheds Patrick will pull down tentage and stores for a party of six and then head off to grab pemmican, chocolate, powdered milk and biscuits. for six for at least a couple of days.  

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:02 am
by drone232
Professor Harding returns some moments later sporting a large gray fur coat riddled with pockets and with a small pack slung over his shoulder.

I have some camra equipment ready and a few sampling tools and vials for if we come across hair or any other evidense of the creature. My assistant will stay behind. Anyone else staying behind may ask for his aide if needed. He has some experince in medicine if you want his help examining the bodies, although not much.
OOC:   I will be attending the mission  

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry, Patrick," says Diana, blushing. "I didn't mean..." But he has already walked away. Aippaq is not going to be happy about being left out again, she thinks. Well, I did try.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:14 am
by Cearlan
ghill wrote:
OOC:   Oi, that is my secondary character you're all trying to put into play!!! I'm not even dead yet :P  
OOC:   Sorry, although she is an Inuit guide, I was a bit quick off the mark there, expecting your response to Mr Handy's post if you didn't want her to go - simply remove her from the list, it's not a problem.  

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:18 pm
by Papa Gateau

Jesse collects his pack, rifle and gear before returning to the team heading out. He says little but a small smile plays across his lips at Fraser's mention of an unknown inuit tribe. He sets about helping get the dog sleds prepared, happier working with the hounds than talking to his colleagues.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:31 pm
by ghill
Patrick Lewis acknowledges Jesse's arrival in the storage shed with a nod towards rapidly growing pile of gear accumulating on the storage sheds floor. It all needs to go out, and the load split among the sleds.

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:53 am
by andyw666
With rather naval efficiency, Fraser barrels inside and quickly attacks his packing. Roll of archaeological tools, torch, more whisky, tobacco, matches, notebooks and pencils, measuring tape, all into his backpack. Cold weather clothes and emergency kit. What else might I need? Magnifying glass, some spare ammunition... Fraser also tops up his tobacco pouch and hip flask. With a sigh, next Fraser straps his holstered revolver to his belt, the last line of polar bear defence.

Finally, he takes a quick visit to the 'head'. Last time above 30 Fahrenheit for a while. Might need to start eating less cheese too.

Donning his duffle coat, scarf and beanie, grabbing his backpack and collecting a double barrelled shotgun and shells, Fraser is back out to Lewis and the sleds in short order.

"Has anyone moved those poor frozen Inuit gents yet?"
OOC:   If not, Fraser will enlist the aid of a guide or two and manoeuvre the sled and/or deceased into a storeroom where they can start to thaw.  

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:28 pm
by dustakr
Conroe finishes its note taking..moves out to see most of the lot has already gathered on ..'Where is Dr. Hamilton?..is he joining expedition or not?'
OOC,I don't know if I missed it, but where can I read about Dr Cornelius Brand and Jason Decker or they are NPCs?.

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:07 pm
by Cearlan
Once everyone is assembled and ready to go the party head out to the location that Poo-Yet-Tah and Chris had marked with a small cairn to help them find it again which they do with little difficulty, despite the falling snow and preternatural night. About five miles out from the camp a strong wind start to blow into your faces driving the snow, making it freeze on your clothing and nearly blinding you.

You enter the area where the cairn was raised, you observe that it is in a small depression so remains sheltered from the worst of the winds though a covering of snow does lies on the ground blanketing everything. On the Western edge of the depression is a small cliff face, standing about fifteen feet tall with the depression so the East of the cliff face. The cairn lies close to the cliff and the depression is about thirty to forty feet across.
OOC:   Spot hidden rolls please and tell me where you are searching - North 12 o'clock, east 3 etc.  
dustakr,Here is a link for you bud and yes they are NPC's. [url]http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=332&t=5424[/url]

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:38 pm
by ghill
Patrick Lewis walks along the edge of the cliff face being careful he then starts working from the centre of the site spiralling outwards all the looking for sign.
Skills,Patricks Spot Hidden 45: [dice]0[/dice] Patrick Track 50 [dice]1[/dice].

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:58 pm
by drone232
Seeing how Lewis has already began searching the middle of the crater, Professor Richard Harding begins examinging the Northern rim of the crater edge. He uses his gloved hand to wipe away any snow that looks to be concealing something while examining every inch of ground through his cloth mask.

Spot Hidden skill 45 and I roll
[dice]0[/dice]

Ultimately, he finds nothing and looks towards the others to see if they show signs of having found something.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:23 am
by dustakr
Conroe starts walking towards cliff face opposite to cairn..keeping track of other people around him..not disturbing anyone..he starts to scrape rock near cliff face with pocket knife and eventually starts using rock hammer to collect samples for later studies..
spot hidden,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:50 am
by andyw666
Fraser is a bit leery of giant killer polar bears so unslings his shotgun and carries it resting across his right arm (pheasant shootin' style), with his torch in his left. North and west of the cairn seem currently covered so Fraser heads to the south of the depression and starts searching from the cairn to the edge of the depression.
Spot Hidden,[color=#FF0000]Fraser's Spot Hidden skill is 60% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice][/color]

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:09 pm
by Cearlan
Chris shows the group where the bodies were found while Poo-Yet-Tah stood watch on the top of the cliff, eyes alert for anything untoward.
Patrick,You see about twenty feet to the South West of the location of where the cairn was lain, a slightly raised hummock. Clearing the snow off he can see the butt of a rifle. Any tracks that there were, are now completely covered with snow.
Richard,You are about ten foot away from the cairn to the North when you step on something that gives way under your foot, slightly twisting your ankle. As you sit rubbing the sore ankle, you look at the area you had stood on you see the broken runner of a sledge. Scraping the snow away along it's length, you see, forlornly that it is embedded in something. Clearing more snow away you see that it is in fact skewering a husky's head, a head that is not attached to a body anymore.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:22 pm
by ghill
Patrick Lewis

Patrick makes it clear to everyone that he has found something then clears away the snow from around the rifle. Making sure its safe first he picks it up.

OOC:   Taking a look at it what state is the rifle in - loaded/fired/made safe etc? Does it look as though its been dropped or thrown at this location?  

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:18 pm
by Cearlan
ghill wrote:Patrick Lewis
OOC:   Taking a look at it what state is the rifle in - loaded/fired/made safe etc? Does it look as though its been dropped or thrown at this location?  
Patrick,The rifle butt belongs to a smashed 30.06 bolt action rifle. It is broken into several pieces but from what you can see, there is only one round remaining. A severed finger is frozen to the trigger indicating that it was wrenched from the bearer with some force. This also shows that whoever was wielding this weapon managed to get at least a few shots off before meeting their grisly end. As well, you can see, under parts of the rifle, a pair of dogs rear legs that looks as though the dog had been torn in two.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:10 pm
by ghill
Patrick Lewis

Placing the gun and dogs legs carefully on top of the snow for everyone to see. "Whatever it was they put up a fight"

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:12 pm
by Cearlan
After spending about an hour searching, the party will have discovered the remains of a two man sled, a pair of smashed lightweight kayaks, the remains of a dismembered seal and a pair of dogs, sans one foreleg and a torso. it seemed they were on the way back to their camp following a successful hunting expedition. The debris was spread over quite a wide area ... and as Chris had described, it did indeed look as though a shell had struck and struck hard. Whatever had caused this had obviously found the Inuit, their dogs and equipment to be excellent playthings, as it proves to be spread over a large radius, exceeding the 'boundaries' of the depression.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:45 pm
by drone232
"This is all quite disturbing" states Professor Harding. Whatever killed this hunting party seems to have destroyed them all with unnerving ease. Moreover, it seems that most of the bodies are intact indicating that whatever did this did not kill them for food. It may have killed them for territorial reasons, or possibly some purpose which I cannot currently fathom. What I do know is that I now have a slight fear of this creature should we find it"

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:43 am
by Cearlan
OOC:   Having exhaustively searched the area, what next?  

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:32 am
by ghill
Patrick Lewis,

Patrick is worried, whatever attacked the men clearly also attacked the dogs and the evidence seems to indicate that it made no effort to eat either men nor dogs. A polar bear is the apex predator in the North, it will confidently stalk and kill men, but it does so because it see's everything else as food, it does not kill for sport. Patrick looks to the top of the cliff wondering wether it might provide a good view point to survey the area.
OOC:   Is it possible to make it to the top of the cliff by moving east or west, so Patrick can ascend without climbing the cliff?  

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:39 pm
by Cearlan
As Patrick looks to the top of the cliff, such as it is, he can plainly see the shape of Poo-Yet-Tah standing guard and looking out to the west, rifle slung across his shoulder.
Patrick,The cliff stands about fifteen feet or so high at the centre and it gently slopes down on either side should you choose to join the guide in his vigil

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:43 pm
by andyw666
Fraser has been happily noting the locations of discovered items with a notebook and pencil.

"Wee boats and a sealie. Must be those poor lads were hunting along the coast then?"

"Mr Lewis, is there any chance your friend up there could guess where they were going to or from if we know they must have been hunting along the coast?"

OOC:   Can Fraser have a look at a map and try to make a Navigate roll to guess a likely nearby hunting/fishing point along the coast? He's hoping to work backwards from where they caught the seal.  

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:00 pm
by ghill
Cearlan wrote:As Patrick looks to the top of the cliff, such as it is, he can plainly see the shape of Poo-Yet-Tah standing guard and looking out to the west, rifle slung across his shoulder.
Patrick moves along the cliff face until he is able to climb to the top of it without over exerting himself. Then walks towards Poo-Yet-Tah squatting beside him he addresses the Inuit. "'Na nuq' did not kill these men, but I think you know, or think you might know what did. Will you tell me"

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:21 pm
by Cearlan
Poo-Yet-Tah looks at Patrick, his face unreadable.

"Sorry, I have already told you all I know ... and a lot of that may be nothing to do with what happened here. But you are right, This was not done by either other men or what you term Polar Bear, so what else could it be?"

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:45 am
by andyw666
If Fraser has no inspiration from his study of the map, he'll start circling around a bit further out from the depression, hoping to find tracks or something else of interest. Fraser will gradually spiral further out but get no more than 50 feet away.

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:19 pm
by Cearlan
Any tracks that did exist have been obliterated by wind and snow.
OOC:   Idea rolls please from everyone present at the site.  

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:56 pm
by drone232
Professor Harding takes an assessment of the situation and considering the evidence discovered by the team, attempts to formulate a new course of action.
Spoiler:
In other words, Idea roll
Professor Harding Idea skill 80%
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:57 pm
by dustakr
Conroe starts to get bored once finished with collecting samples from around the site. He moves away from the area and stand outside of depression watching over team working through debris..

rolls,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:53 pm
by ghill
Patrick Lewis

The polar bear is Na nuq to me Poo-Yet-Tah, I came to the North to escape the White's words and their ways. Yet here I am still. says Patrick with a heartfelt sigh. He watches the others wandering the site with no success. Who are the nearest tribe to this place? He says to Poo-Yet-Tah If these are their lands should we not go and see them? Is this not the piqujait fo something like this?
OOC:   Been reading Wikipedia about the Inuit and apparently there are ways to do things (laws seems to rigid an concept) they are maligait refers to what has to be followed
piqujait refers to what has to be done. tirigusuusiit refers to what has to be avoided.  

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:19 am
by Cearlan
OOC:   Those that passed their idea rolls realise there is nothing more to be gained out here and that by the time they return to base camp, the two doctors (and whoever feels they can assist) can, after a brief rest start the autopsies.  

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:34 am
by andyw666
With a frosty sigh, Fraser trudges back to the others, double checking his notes of the scene to make sure he's left nothing out. Once that's done, he jumps on the back of a sled.

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:02 pm
by NFVD
On the return trip Dr. Newton keeps thinking about what kind of creature could be responsible for the scene the group witnessed. Thoughts of a living fossil, perhaps a Pleistocene survivor or offshoot of the Cave Bear cross his mind, as well as what such a find would signify to science. As the group nears the camp his thoughts turn to the mental readiness that performing the grisly autopsy work will require.

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:35 pm
by Cearlan
You all arrive back at camp without incident, navigating by sight of the tall radio mast.

As you get closer your thoughts turn towards getting a hot meal and drink inside you as well as a short rest for those who need it. Those of a more medical persuasion, or who are conducting and/or assisting with the two autopsies make their way almost straight away to where the bodies are being stored. Whilst the outer bodies are close to being thawed, the internal organs still seem to be slightly frozen. After conferring with each other, Dr Brand suggests that it will probably be another four to six hours before they are ready for autopsy, which your medical opinions concur with.
OOC:   Make medicine or other appropriate rolls as you wish  
Before dismissing everyone to get some rest, Chris says "I think we should take the next couple of hours to review what we know so far, little though it is, and once the ah 'examinations' of the two unfortunates have been completed that we have a conference to discuss where we go from here - Does anyone have a better idea?"

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:56 pm
by ghill
Patrick Lewis
OOC:   Ummm, have we decided to go back to the camp? Because I (Patrick) was erring towards going to question the local Inuits. I don't think there is much an autopsy will tell us other than something large and heavy has torn these men up. I'd like to add this before we head back to the camp.  
Patrick stands by his sled watching as the others prepare to leave.
Patrick thinking:   Anything which tore these dogs apart was [i]not[/i] small and even allowing for the time and weather Patrick is surprised something that big has left no obvious visible sign. If its a bear hunting men for sport then we should be out trying to find it before it kills again.  
I have nothing to add while you brains check the bodies out. I'd like to go and talk to the local Inuit. Its the right thing to do.

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:28 pm
by NFVD
Dr. Newton takes one last look at the bodies before retiring, and later voices his agreement with Chris' suggestion.
Spoiler:
Dr. Newton's Medicine roll (70%) [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:02 am
by dustakr
Conroe looks over to Dr. Hamilton, 'Now he wants to talk'... , 'I think we should delay this conference at least till end of day, I don't even got to my stash of rocks on tables for analysis, and I would suggest that we should be out first thing tomorrow to find, atleast 1 inuit who can tell us something... '

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:44 am
by andyw666
Agreeing with Hamilton, Fraser sheds the snow and ice from his clothes and beard quickly and heads inside. Cold weather gear is peeled out of, the beanie is removed and replaced with his sailor's black peaked cap. Weaponry is stowed away neatly, Fraser makes himself a nice cup of tea, lights his pipe, sits at a table in the dining room and starts transcribing his expedition notes.

Fraser awaits the others arriving for Hamilton's proposed meeting.

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:13 am
by andyw666
OOC:   Of course, my secondary PC - the rather messy Docteur Balzac - will offer/attempt to assist the assorted medicos and quacks in their autopsical efforts.  

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:05 pm
by Papa Gateau
ghill wrote:Patrick Lewis
OOC:   Ummm, have we decided to go back to the camp? Because I (Patrick) was erring towards going to question the local Inuits. I don't think there is much an autopsy will tell us other than something large and heavy has torn these men up. I'd like to add this before we head back to the camp.  
Patrick stands by his sled watching as the others prepare to leave.
Patrick thinking:   Anything which tore these dogs apart was [i]not[/i] small and even allowing for the time and weather Patrick is surprised something that big has left no obvious visible sign. If its a bear hunting men for sport then we should be out trying to find it before it kills again.  
I have nothing to add while you brains check the bodies out. I'd like to go and talk to the local Inuit. Its the right thing to do.
OOC:   Sorry, late to the party.

Jesse also would like to go and speak with the local inuit  

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:40 pm
by Cearlan
OOC:   To get to the nearest Inuit camp - if they are still there, remember they are a largely nomadic people, you would have to pass within a few mile of base camp before heading to their camp in the extremely severe weather.

From the map posted in the map section, the base camp is close to the top of the Adelaide Peninsula whilst the nearest Inuit camp is about 50 - 60 mile South East, as the crow flies. Do you want a more detailed map drawn up - if so I can get one done in the next day or so?  

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:01 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Don't worry about the map. This sudden bad weather is that the polite way of saying you don't us want to split the party? :)  
Patrick thinking:   bearing in mind something has killed two armed Inuit, it's seems more important we warn the Inuit something large and extremely dangerous is out there, an autopsy is a complete waste of time and is unlikely to tell anybody what killed them.  
Patrick looks at the weather, then turns to Dr James, Doc, I don't aim to stay in camp. The dogs can travel over 100 miles in a day they can easily handle the 50 miles to the Inuit camp. A small snack here, check booties there, little stops to care for the team but we'll get there easy enough. I have more than enough supplies to last us if we get caught on in the weather. We should be warning them something dangerous is out on the ice. Not pretending we're back in Boston making reports for the coroner and the police

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:10 pm
by andyw666
OOC:   How hard is it to get the radio working? Can Fraser get on the blower to see if there have been any other recent reports of attacks by unknown giant wild animals or the like?  

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:22 pm
by Papa Gateau
ghill wrote: Patrick looks at the weather, then turns to Dr James, Doc, I don't aim to stay in camp. The dogs can travel over 100 miles in a day they can easily handle the 50 miles to the Inuit camp. A small snack here, check booties there, little stops to care for the team but we'll get there easy enough. I have more than enough supplies to last us if we get caught on in the weather. We should be warning them something dangerous is out on the ice. Not pretending we're back in Boston making reports for the coroner and the police
James Young
Indeed, this is almost home for me, it'll be good to get out of camp for a while and the dogs will enjoy a run out too.

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:26 pm
by Mr. Handy

Diana greets Roger with a peck on the cheek when he returns. "Welcome back, dear," she says. "I'd have gone with you, but I'm not much of a huntress, in spite of my name." She looks over the bodies, but she has no experience judging how long they would need to thaw. She is more familiar with how to handle frozen plant specimens. "I'll defer to your expert opinion, Doctors."
OOC,[b]Diana[/b]'s Biology roll (61% skill) examining the corpsicles [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:12 pm
by Cearlan
andyw666 wrote:Agreeing with Hamilton ... Fraser awaits the others arriving for Hamilton's proposed meeting.
andyw666 wrote:
OOC:   How hard is it to get the radio working? Can Fraser get on the blower to see if there have been any other recent reports of attacks by unknown giant wild animals or the like?  
OOC:   @Andyw666 - I did indicate that the group should take some time out before the meeting. The radio is working fine - and yes he can 'get on the blower.'

To those moving straight on to find the nearest Inuit camp let me know when you wish to set out. Do you wish to take anything other than your own gear with you?  
The weather relents a little and between the clouds you can see increasingly large patches of dark sky sprinkled with stars, among the first to be glimpsed are the familiar sight of Orion's belt. The winds aloft blow the remaining scudding clouds westward and the night sky blazes with possibly the brightest array of stars you have seen for many a month. Ursa Major, the little bear, points the way Northward so that your path SSE is easily found.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:04 pm
by ghill
OOC:   I/Patrick actually had no intention of going back to the camp, so if PapaG/Jesse is in agreement, then they'd leave straight from the search site. In the scene prior to departing to see where the two men were killed I mentioned that Patrick was ensuring the sleds were loaded with stores for a couplr of days. I thought this would be a fairly typical precaution for Patrick to when going out in this sort of environment.  

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:49 pm
by Cearlan
OOC:   You head out straight away then - no problem. I've edited my last post to reflect that you left from the 'cairn-site.' :)  

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:51 pm
by drone232
OOC:   Nothing concerning medicine rolls has been posted for a while so my secondary character will give it a shot. I know someone already succeeded, but why not?  
Jack, now that the bodies have suffiecently thawed and he has his mentor's approval, has decided to look upon the carcasses to see what he might make of them. What he sees of the carnage fills him with a mixture of disgust at the bodies and fascination with what did this. He had never seen anything like this when he worked at the clinic years ago, but has read of worse in his few books of the macabre and strange. He believes this adventure will become quite interesting in the months to come. With his limited medicinal knowledge, he tries to ascertain any information from the bodies.
Spoiler:
Medicine skill 30%
[dice]0[/dice]
Sadly, such carnage is above his expertise.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:08 am
by andyw666
Finishing his notes up, Fraser takes a glass of scotch and his lit pipe and retires to his bunk to kip until called for the meeting.
OOC:   (I'm obviously not doing a good job of reading the signs and portents.) Scrap the radio plan, was just casting about for ways to assist. Somebody wake Fraser when he's needed.  

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:55 pm
by Cearlan
OOC:   Who is going to be present for the autopsies and what input will you have - don't want too many in there as it's not that big a room? Are you doing the two post-mortems after a review of the situation? - Those performing, medicine rolls please.

Those heading towards the Inuit campsite continue on their way without hitch - roll track please.  

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:52 pm
by NFVD
OOC:   Dr. Newton is certainly going to be present at the autopsy. He will be either running it or providing assistance to Dr. Cornelius Brand.  

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:48 pm
by ghill
Out on the ice Patrick Lewis drives the dogs on, trying as he does so to keep an eye out for the unusual or out of place. But the pace and the wind in his face don't make things easy
Track,Track: 50% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:56 am
by andyw666
OOC:   If there is room for a secondary investigator, Balzac will happily assist in any way he can, even just as observer and note-taker. Balzac will also try to use his Biology skill if at all possible / relevant when looking at bite marks, tooth imprints and the like, oozing ichor or other inappropriate biological residue on the bodies.

Guess we're doing autopsies first, meeting second?.

Balzac's Medicine roll is 80%

[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'll attend the autopsy if there's room. I'll be assisting rather than operating, as my Medicine skill is base level only, but I would like to use Biology as well.

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:13 am
by dustakr
OOC,I like to know if Conroe found anything from rock samples gathered before joining rest of folks to find inuit campsite Track roll [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:18 pm
by Cearlan
Those at Autopsy head off here - viewtopic.php?f=332&t=5442

Those seeking Inuit camp head off here - viewtopic.php?f=332&t=5443