Page 1 of 1

IC - 1. Gainful Employment

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:29 pm
by Papa Gateau
April 17th 1867 - North Platte, Nebraska Territory - nope, make that the State of Nebraska, population: not really sure but it’s growing every day now that the spring sunshine has arrived and work on the railroad has restarted. That’s why you’re here - there’s money to be made, fortunes to be created, reputations to be forged and of course, it’s a good place to lay low with plenty of new faces arriving in town to get lost in.

Not that it’s much of a town, mostly tents and mud, though thankfully that’s drying out fast. Your eyes scan down main street, squinting into the early morning sun, at the far end maybe 100 yards after the last tent is the water tower and platform for the locomotives, your eyes follow the line of the tracks, marked by the regular uprights of the telegraph poles running parallel to it. Rounding the corner, maybe 3 miles away you spot the black belch of smoke from the stack of the huge locomotive, carrying the next load of immigrant workers, dreamers, hopers and good-for-nothings.

The train slows as it approaches the platform before coming to a stop amid gouts of steam and smoke. As you watch, a young boy, covered in the filth of soot and coal dust jumps from the train and runs out of sight behind the tents. People start disembarking from the train, they seem strangely subdued but then you notice 4 bodies pulled from one of the cabooses and laid out on the platform.

Your interest piqued, you start walking towards the platform. As you approach, the murmur of the passengers grows louder and you hear raised voices, catching the occasional word ‘robbed’, ‘bandits’, ‘killers’.

A crowd begins to form in front of the corpses, two of them wear the uniform of the railroad company, one a tailored suit and the other the cheap clothes of a farm hand or labourer.

You sense a small commotion to your right and the crowd parts to let 2 men pass through. The first is average height, about 5’10” - he is well dressed in a tailored 3 piece suit, white shirt with burgundy neck tie, black polished leather boots. A gold watch chain hangs from his pocket and most of his fingers carry large gold rings. You wouldn’t call him fat, hell - no one on the frontier is fat, but he’s got a healthy girth and obviously doesn’t go hungry. His eyes are green and sharp in fleshy face, his nose straight and unbroken, his mouth thin-lipped. What hair you can see below his brimmed black hat consists of tight sandy curls.

The second man is tall, a monster of a man, maybe standing 6’7”. He is dressed in a long black from coat, waistcoat, white shirt and cravat tie, the attire is clean and cared for but obviously faded and well worn. His eyes are piercing blue and his jaw looks like it’s been carved straight out of the mountains to the west. He sports a bushy handlebar must ache that joins his goatee beard. Holstered, on his hip he carries a revolver and one of the new Winchester repeating rifles is dwarfed in his massive hands. Pinned to his breast pocket is a 5 pointed tin star.

The two man walk up to the corpses, the first glances over them quickly - a look of distaste briefly crosses his face. The lawman, crouches down and looks at the bodies more intently.

“You don’t all know me” the first man says, his voice full and confident with a faint Irish lilt, carrying easily over the crowd “but if you’re planning on staying around here or working on my railroad then you will. My name is Patrick Derry and this end of the railroad is my show!"

The big man slowly stands back up behind Derry, a scowl on his face as he surveys the crowd on front of him.

“What happens on my railroad happens on my say so.” continues Derry “And what happens on my railroad reflects on me!"

“Four men died today, four good men! Two of those men were employees of the railroad, the other two were passengers on my railroad!” his voice raises, almost to a shout.

“I want the filthy, cowardly, no-good sons-o-bitches brought to justice!"

“How many good men can I count on here? How many good men can I rely on to bring those cowardly scum to justice?” his emerald eyes roam out across the crowd. A few people shuffle back, eyes downcast to avoid meeting his. A few hands tentatively raise in the air with a few soft cries of ‘aye’, ‘here’, ‘I’m yer man’.

“Any man that is up for the job, can meet at my caboose in one hours time. Sherriff Clancy will deputise you and then you can hunt the perpetrators of this heinous crime with the full backing of the law!"

“And finally! Remember! Do good by me and the railroad and the railroad will do good by you. I don’t forget those who have done good for me and my own”.

He turns and walks straight backed, the way he came, the crowd parting and closing behind him.

Re: IC - 1. Gainful Employment

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:53 pm
by ghill
Jack Strachan

Strachan turns to his travelling companion. "Well James, I'm not normally one to involve myself in police matters, but in the absence of anyone else it might be beneficial for us to get on Mr Derry's good side. Although, if we are to get involved it might be sensible for you to do all the talking. Some of these Irish still have a thing about the "Old Country" and us English oppressor."
OOC:   Mr Handy I assume you're happy "Big Jim" to be travelling West with Strachan as his companion. If that isn't the case, Strachan simply goes to oversee the unloading of his horse and then gets directions to Derry's caboose.  

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:00 pm
by NFVD
Mario "El Monje" Malhecho

Mario watches the scene with curiosity. He has seen many curious things about North America since crossing the Rio Grande. It is not so much the bodies taken out of the train, he as seen enough before, but the reactions around him that catch his fancy. In particular the well-fed man that addresses the crowd. The rage of the Irish man is particularly intersting; why, he is trully mad about the killings. Mario cannot tell why exactly, there are so many people arriving here it should not be hard to find replacement workers. When Patrick Derry asks for a posse Mario begins to loose interest. After all it is not his problem, why should he volunteer to hunt the killers, unless he gets paid?...then he hears "Sherriff Clancy will deputise you..." If anyone was observing him right then they notice Mario's eyes widen and nearly glow.

The Sherife is going to make deputados out of those that volunteer? Madre Santíssima! The sherifes are not like the federales down in Mexico that everyone hates and no one trusts, for some reason the gringos really respect these men, and their deputees! To have the force of law on your side? To be able to kill a man and have no issues? Even before Patrick Derry finishes with promisses of doing good by those that deal with the killers Mario's instinct has already decided he will join the effort. In his mind's eye he can already see a star pinned to his chest and others respecting his authoritah.

Then he realises in his daydreaming he was not paying attention to all the details of the railroad's head honcho's speech. Were did he say volunteers should go? And now the man is already leaving, swallowed by the tunnel of crowd that is closing behind him. Looking he spots Sheriff Clancy and walks to ask him. Not wanting to blow his chances Mario tries his best to be diplomatic. An event rarer than most.

"Eh, Jefe? Ex-cuse me, but where did the fat train-man say we go to join the depu-tee party?"

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:24 pm
by Tabs

Harriet Tubman leans out from behind James Murdoch.

"That Sheriff Clancy is taller than you!" she exclaims, wide eyed. Harriet doesn't say much regarding the offer to deputize folk, but does say: "Sure sounds mighty dangerous, Mr. Strachan," while she watches the Mexican follow the Sheriff.

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:39 pm
by ghill
Strachan

"Yes I'm sure Miss Tubman, will you excuse me."
Strachan thinking:   What is it about these Americans. A true lady should go about her business quietly and unobtrusively, yet Miss Tubman has struck up several conversations. I will never understand why these Americans have no sense of etiquette.  
OOC:   Strachan, a bit of a snob still. Doesn't really understand his world has changed.  

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:27 pm
by Papa Gateau
Sheriff Clancy stops, turns and glances down at the short, fat Mexican. His eyes seem to appraise him in that quick glance but Mario is unable to read anything, his face is a mask.

"If you can use those pistoleros, meet at Mr. Derry's caboose in an hour." he nods over his shoulder "You got any friends that know how to shoot, bring 'em along too. Reckon' we're going to need a party of 10 able men" he nods down at Mario, turns and starts walking towards Derry's carriage, which sits on a spur of track about 50 yards further on from the platform.

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe by an inch," concedes James Murdoch reluctantly. "It'll be nice to be able to look a man in the eyes without having to tilt my neck down. He's got the same model of Winchester that I have too." He nods to Jack Strachan. "It'll not only be good to get on Mr. Derry's good side, Jack, but those four dead people deserve justice. He may be thinking mostly about how this reflects on the railroad and thus on his reputation and profits, but my first concern is that there are murderers running around free. Of course, it doesn't hurt if we get paid too. I ain't got the gift of gab like you do. I'll try to do the talking, but if it doesn't go well I may need you to back me up." The Murdoch family was of Scottish blood, and the Scots traditionally didn't get along too well with the English either. Derry may or may not still feel that way, but all of that had been left on the other side of the Atlantic as far as James was concerned.
OOC,Yes, it's fine with me that we're traveling together. I think I initially suggested it.

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:23 am
by ghill
Strachan

Strachan climbs aboard the wagon on which the horses have been stabled, swinging his saddle onto the back of Sephton. Sephton the cavalry nag he's had since his own horse was shot out from under him while he sat watching Hookers corps smash in Lees army at Antietam.

"Well there is that yes,very unfortunate. Don't put yourself down though James, I've heard you talk before remember, and you're no tongue tied idiot."

[ic-think]Frankly I'm more concerned about this horse than the death of four strangers. But I'd be surprised if Jame's sense of honour and chivalry hadn't risen to the fore again.[/ic-think]
OOC:   Once both horses are saddled Strachan will head over to the caboose  

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:08 pm
by Tabs
"It'll be nice to be able to look a man in the eyes without having to tilt my neck down.
Little Harriet looks to the ground, she feels very small, "And Mr. Strachan is displeased with me as well," she thinks. "Will you be gone for days on this--this posse, Mr. Murdoch?" she asks."Becuz if so, I could come with y'all to keep camp, y'know: cook grits, brew coffee. . ."

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:19 pm
by Papa Gateau
You wait outside the caboose, killing time until the hour is up.

The engine man walks up, nods at you, then knocks at the cabooses door. The door opens and he disappears inside. You can hear muffled conversation coming from inside but their voices are too low to make out what they are talking about. Ten minutes later the door opens and the engine men descends the steps and walks away.

As the hour approaches a few more men walk up to the caboose in ones and twos. They nod in acknowledgement but keep themselves to themselves. You make a quick headcount, there's nine of you, including yourself.

The door to the caboose opens and Derry steps down, followed by Clancy.

Derry eyes you all, he seems unimpressed by the number, and maybe quality, of the men in front him. A thin a smile forms on his face and he speaks

"I want you men to know you have my thanks for volunteering. This is bad business and we need to stop it. People think the railroad is easy pickings and we'll have outlaws holding up every train! And I swear to you that won't be happening on my railroad.

I have authorised Mr. Clancy to deputise you in the hunt for the gang that murdered and stole on my train. You will be paid a dollar a day and provided a long arm and a mount if you don't have one of your own.

Additionally I will provide a bounty of 10 dollars to each of you for everyone of the gang you bring back - dead or alive. And a 20 dollar bounty for the leader - dead. 50 if he's alive. I'd prefer him to be alive - the man needs to swing.

I want and expect, everything that was taken from the train and those that were robbed to be returned to me.

There were no wages on the train but there were some valuables and documents in the safe.
" he turns to Clancy "Sheriff, you may deputise these men and tell them what we know about the gang and the robbery" he turns back to you all "Goodluck men, the railroad is relying on you" with that and without a backwards glance he climbs back aboard his caboose.

Clancy steps forwards "You men want to line up, lets get this thing done" he waits why you form a loose line, then heads to the first man

"Name?"

"Alan McGee"

"Hold up your right hand, Alan McGee" a pause, then "Do you swear to uphold the laws of the land and pursue those that break them, to bring them to justice, to be judged by the good Lord in his merciful wisdom, so help you God?"

"Yes sir, I do"

Clancy takes a tin star out of a small hessian bag and hands it to the man.

He moves down the line, repeating the ritual until he reaches Harriet "I'm sorry miss, I can't deputise no negress. This is dangerous work and man's work and folks won't take orders from a negro, specially a woman" as far as you can tell there is no malice in his words, he's just stating facts. He nods at you at steps to the next man.
All OOC,I haven't put you in any particular order in the line up, you could already have said the vow prior to him reaching Harriet or you could be further down the line waiting your turn, though I'm assuming [b]Harriet[/b], [b]Strachan[/b] and [b]Murdoch[/b] are standing together. If you want to role-play your deputising and it's prior to [b]Clancy[/b] reaching [b]Harriet[/b], then we'll do that below, otherwise I'll assume it was a simple "I do" or "yes sir" and you get your badge.

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:17 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   Er--is Harriet to miss out on the fun? a scene or two is fine, but will she be twiddling her thumbs a lot?  

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:26 pm
by Papa Gateau
Tabs,Not at all! I'm trying to keep to the attitudes of the era - remember a young black women, freed or not is going to bear the brunt of huge discrimination and bigotry. Even the enlightened folks of the time would be regarded as racist by our current standards. I have no intention of directing the PCs but it also seemed to me the perfect opportunity for your employer to step in on your behalf. I'm waiting to see to see how the other PCs react to your exclusion.

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:51 pm
by ghill
Strachan

"There are nine horses sheriff as well as your own, when we dismount and go forward on foot, which of these fine men will you hold back to hold the horses? Seems a woman with enough spirit as Miss Tubman could probably do that job. One assumes you can ride Miss Tubman and are disinclined to give orders to anyone?"

Strachan tries to put some feeling into his argument in order to persuade, but in his heart he believes the Sheriff is right a fight is no place for a woman.

Persuade: 1d100=89

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:08 pm
by Priest
Dr Ethan P Farnworthy.

The black suited preacher steps forward a leather bound Bible cradled in his left hand. He spits a stream of brown tobacco juice at a nearby spitoon. Uses the back of his right hand to wipe his mouth, then brushes the luxuriant growth of his moustache upwards and outwards. His eyes betray the gleam of fanaticism or pure nastiness, "Oh Israel shall ye send your maidens to fight for ye?"

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:17 pm
by NFVD

When the Mexican's turn comes to be deputised he listen with attention to the Sheriff's words. He knows that for gringos oath and contracts are taken seriously. He seems to hesitate a bit when he hears the words by "...the good Lord in his merciful wisdom, so help you God?" but he replies in a serious tone "Si, jefe. I swear it the blood of Cristo Jesús." then he takes his star and makes way for the next oath-taker.

When Harriet time comes, he is forced to stiffle a laugh by covering his mouth with his hand at her rebukement on account of gender and race.

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Miss Tubman is perfectly capable of holding horses," says James. "She's held mine for me on multiple occasions. When I was in the cavalry, a quarter of the men would always stay back and hold horses. We didn't like having to do it because we wanted to be in the action, but it was an essential part of the job, and somebody had to. She has other skills as well that could be useful. Even without a badge, she can contribute and she deserves her share."

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:35 am
by ghill
OOC:   Just realised that Harriet's description describes her as Jim's camp servant. So I guess the issue for the Sherriff is, its a 2-1 deal he gets Harriet for free if he hires Jim.  
I should point out Sheriff Miss Tubman is already employed by Mr Murdoch so there is no need to either deputise or pay her.
Strachan thinking:   I wouldn't worry about her being a woman or a negress,Sheriff, its the fact she can barely keep her backside on that damn mule when it breaks into a slow trot.  

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:27 am
by Tabs
Clancy: "I'm sorry miss, I can't deputise no negress.
Harriet gives an embarrassed giggle. "Dat tin star would look pretty pinned to my dress; but I understan', Sheriff."

To Strachan and Murdoch: "I 'ppreciate your sentiments, gen'lemen."
Farnsworthy: "Oh Israel shall ye send your maidens to fight for ye?"
"Blessed are the meek, sir" replies Harriet, slightly unsure of its relevance, but hoping that it applies to herself.

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:44 am
by Papa Gateau
Clancy steps back and looks Murdoch in the eye, he's about to say something when Harriet addresses him, a thin smile plays across his lips at her joke. It's the first sign of emotion you've seen from him.

Ok, she's your responsibility. Keep her out of trouble. I won't deputise her, she's in your employ. he turns and looks down to Harriet Understand miss, this is dangerous work, these are cold blooded killers we're chasing down. Do what I or your boss says and try not get yourself or any of us killed.

He steps over to Farnsworth You ridin' with us preacher? Coming to dispense the Lord's justice?

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:46 pm
by Priest
Farnsworthy:

Ethan transfers his gaze from Harriet to the lawdog, "Indeed son, also to make sure that the dead get a fitting burial and that the sick get doctoring".
He raises his right hand "Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he needs a mite of help. I swear in his blessed name"
His gaze shifts again to the flamboyantly attired Mexican, spends a moment studying him before once more sending a stream of brown tobacco juice towards the spitoon.

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:40 am
by Mr. Handy

James fastens his shiny new tin star to his chest and watches the preacher with interest. Now this looks like a fascinating fellow, he thinks. Always good to have a man of the cloth about, especially one with medical skills. He looks right about my size, though a bit longer in the tooth.

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:09 pm
by Papa Gateau
Clancy passes a star to Farnsworth Glad to have you along preacher

He quickly finishes deputising the other men and then asks Who here needs a rifle or a mount? Follow me, the rest of you mount up and wait by the water tower, we'll be with you shortly, then we ride out he turns and heads towards town followed by two of the new deputies, the young men that gave their names as McGee.

The rest of you head over to the water tower, you make your introductions and wait on the sheriff. (The rest of the posse are described here)

About 10 minutes later he rides up with the two brothers behind him.

Alright men, the train was hit about 10 miles back up the track. We believe there may be 8 or 10 of them. The ground is good and soft so tracking them should easy. They'll know this too - be wary of ambush points. Keep your eyes peeled and your hand close to your irons.
he nods his head and kicks his horse into a gentle canter.

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:58 pm
by Tabs

Harriet feeds Pepe, her mule, an apple, and strokes his ears, "You can keep up with the horses, can't
y'? When we camp I'll frizzle sum bacon with sweet peppercorns, they'll be pleased to have me along then!"

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:21 pm
by ghill
Strachan

Strachan climbs into the saddle. Seated he turns to loosen the shotgun in his bed roll and removes handful of cartridges from his saddle bag, its not really a gun for this open plain, but he's not a man for long guns, although he's starting to wonder whether he should learn. Happy everything is where it should be, he gives the horse a nudge with his knees and turns her after Clancy.

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

James rides up to the head of the column on his horse Trailblazer, keeping his eyes peeled for any sign of an ambush. His WInchester rests in a long holster beside his saddle, close at hand. "This take me back," he says wistfully. "Reminds me of scouting during the recent unpleasantness."

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:30 am
by Papa Gateau
The ride out to where the train was attacked is trouble free and pleasant, it's a warm spring day and the sun feels good after the cold and wet winter. You ride parallel to the tracks, which in turn follows the path of the river.

The tracks of your quarry are easy to see, the soft ground takes the imprint of their mounts hooves easily. The tracks turn south and head towards the rolling hills a few miles in the distance.

You turn your mounts and follow them, alternating between a gentle canter and light trot.
Harriet,Your mule has no problem keeping up with horses but you are no rider - more a passenger. Make a Ride roll - it's only a problem if you fumble
OOC all,If you wish you can make easy Track rolls to determine the number in the gang and how old the trail is.

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:50 am
by Priest
Farnsworthy moves the horse along. He watches the trail, for potential ambush sites but he leaves tracking to those more skilled.
It feels good to be riding a horse in company of grim, hard men once again, just like back in Kansas before the war. Some distance behind he is aware of the ex-slave woman doing her best to stay on the mule. He smiles a smile that doesn't quite reach his cold eyes, guess ridin's difficult for those people, best they walk as the good Lord intended.

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:52 pm
by Tabs
Papa G.,Ride 5% [dice]0[/dice]--she's only trotting along so wouldn't come a cropper, would she?
She has to encourage Pepe to keep up. The preacher-man, up ahead, turns in his saddle, "I'll show him!" thinks Harriet--and that's when it happens: she slides off the makeshift saddle and has to grapple with the mule's mane to stop herself from falling.

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:54 pm
by Papa Gateau
Harriet,The ride is uncomfortable at the pace that is being set, you're still in the saddle but you are not at one with Pepe, you're bouncing around in the saddle, rising as he descends, descending as he rises, try as you might you can't find his rhythm. You lose the reins and have to grab onto his mane and/or the pommel of the saddle whilst you regain them. You will be glad when the sheriff calls a halt, your rump and legs will be very sore!

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:44 pm
by ghill
Strachan

Strachan turns his horse back to where Harriet is struggling with the mule and takes the reins, calms the beast and waits for Harriet to recover.

Control of a horse depend greatly on having a 'good seat' while in the saddle Miss Tubman. Riding is like dancing, good posture and position are essential. Sit squarely, with your seat comfortably in the middle of the saddle, legs hanging loose on each side. I should probably teach you to sit side saddle but lets not complicate matters any more than we have to. Now, a Foot in each stirrup, so they lightly rest in the stirrups with the widest part of your foot. Your heels should be angled, but not pressed down...(Strachan lectures for 5 minutes)
OOC:   Strachan's intention is to give Harriet the basics, so perhaps neither she nor the mule are to exhausted by the days end.  
You need to improve Miss Tubman, I doubt Mr Murdoch will have much patience with a servant who can't keep up. He hands her the reigns then rejoins the rest of the party.

In parting I shall give you the same piece of advice the major of horse gave me when I first joined my regiment. Should you fall Miss Tubman don't bother chasing your steed simply stand still and make a noise like a carrot, eventually it will come to you.

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:36 pm
by Priest
Farnsworthy:

From his saddle the Preacher watches the lesson in horsemanship being given, "Yeah and the Lord rode into Jerusalem on an ass, but lets hope he didn't have as much trouble as Miss Tubman there". He laughs and moves the horse forward up the trail.

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:59 pm
by NFVD

Mario doesn't bother about tracking, and even less about the negresse's riding troubles. Truth be told he's beginning to feel a bit aburrido (bored) about the uneventful ride and thinking it needs some liveliness.

Then he gets an idea.

To the complete surprise of all around him, and fully unconcerned about what they might think, Mario begins striking his open palm against the leather surface of the saddle he's siting on, turning it into an impromptu drum. The percussion is a fast, steady but oscilating banging rythm, not unlike that of fingers striking a guitar Southern style, as in way South of the Rio Grande.

tap-tap-tap, tap-tarap, tap-tap
tarap-tap-tap
tarap-tap-tap
tarap-tap-TAP

Finding his tempo Mario begins singing some improvised lines

"La ciudad se llama Platte, y Nebraska el estado
entre la gente curiosa, su fama se a propagado
causa de una nueva máquina, que los gringos han creado."

"Dicen que es color negra y que es pura velocidad
essa máquina poderosa, que pasa por la ciudad
y los indios indios de la llanura, no la pudieron parar."

"Anda caliente el patrón,
al respeto le faltaron
hablan de unos chicos malos,
que unos tios han matado
nadie sabe nada de ellos,
porque nunca los han mirado.
el patron es de respeto y jamás a perdonado
esos compas ya están muertos,
nomás no les han avisado."

"Y asi suena Mario Malhecho mi compas!"

"La fama de jefe Derry ya llego hasta Michigan
desde Mexico quieren venir trabajar para esse tal
la caza del hombre ya se hizo internacional."

"Ahora si le quedo bien, a Nebraska el nombre
con tanta llanura que tiene, donde debemos a buscar?
al mando del jefe Derry, que dólares nos va a pagar."

"Anda caliente el patrón,
al respeto le faltaron
hablan de unos chicos malos,
que unos tios han matado
nadie sabe nada de ellos,
porque nunca los han mirado.
A la furia del patrón,
nadie jamás a escapado
eses compas ya estan muertos,
nomas no les han avisado."

Olé!!!

Laughing, the Mexican strokes the neck of his mount lovingly before spurring him to trot further forward on the line.

"Si, Si Ocioso. Those guys be dead already, they jus'don't know yet. Ha, ha, ha, ha!"

Liberal translation of the lyrics
Spoiler:
The town is called Platte, and Nebraska is the State
among curious people, its fame did propagate
because of a new machine, that the gringos have made

They say it's black in color, and that it's pure speed
that powerful machine that passes through town
and the Indians in the plains, could not stop it

The boss is pissed
he's been disrespected
they talk about some bad boys
that have killed some dudes
no one knows nothing about them
because no one's ever seen them
the boss demand respect and he has never before forgiven
those dudes are already dead,
they just haven't been told yet

And that's how Mario Malhecho rolls my friends!

The fame of boss Derry has reached as far as Michigan
and even from Mexico they want to come work for him
the manhunt has now become international

Now Nebraska fits its name well
with so many plains it has, where should we start looking?
on the orders of boss Derry, that will pay us in dollars

The boss is pissed
he has been disrespected
they talk about some bad boys
that have killed some dudes
no one knows nothing about them
because no one's ever seen them
None have ever escaped
the fury of the boss
those dudes are already dead
they just haven't been told yet
And the shamelessly stolen musical theme & origical lyrics
Spoiler:

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy

James is no tracker, and he has no idea how to read the tracks. He's lucky he can see them at all. He drops back when Harriet falls off the mule. "Are you all right, Miss Tubman?" he asks. Jack seems to have things well in hand with the horsemanship advice he's giving her, so there seems to be little more he can do as long as she doesn't have any injuries that need binding.

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:28 am
by Tabs

Strachan rides back to Harriet. "Jackrabbits!" she is exclaiming, over and over again. He can tell by her shiny face that she is mortified by her mishap.

"Mr. Strachan, y' are a good man," she says, after he takes the trouble to explain the basics of horsemanship; when he is done she smiles and asks: "So what does a carrot sound like?"

Murdoch also rides back. She calls out: "I'm alright, sir, juz a slip."

~

Harriet glimpses Farnsworthy watching on, "I don't like that man," she thinks.

~

The Mexican begins his tap tap tapping and raucous singing. She likes it, but doubts he would be pleased to hear her say so, even if she had the courage to talk to "El Monje" Malhecho.

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:35 am
by Tabs
Tracking,Mario has 42% . . . and there is always the Sheriff. . . .

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Glad to hear it," says James, tipping his hat and riding back up to the front.

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:24 pm
by Priest
Farnsworthy:
Still laughing, the preacher begins watching the trail more closely hoping to see the tracks they are following, but sees nothing.
For a few moments he scowls, but it's hard to be sure whether he is scowling at the lack of recognisable tracks or the Mex's song.
"Hey muchacho, can you sing far away?"

Track,10% 1d100 → [59] = (59) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4806086/ Failed, but if no one else wants to try...

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:06 pm
by ghill
Only time I ever tracked anything was behind the hounds with the Berkshire Hunt. says Strachan "So I'm afraid I'm no help."

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:26 am
by NFVD

Now that he's ridden further ahead in the line of riders Mario takes a look around to see if he spots any trace of their quarry's passage.
Spoiler:
Track roll (42%) 1d100=86

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:35 pm
by Papa Gateau
The tracks you follow are plain to see but none of you are able to identify the number of your quarry or how old they are.

Clancy and Hank James dismount and examine the tracks in more detail, they confer and mount up again. Clancy speaks up There's about ten of them, no more 'n twelve at most. Reckon we're about 4 hours behind them and makin' the same time. They're pushing the horses but not too hard, just like us.

We'll ride on til sundown and then follow the trail in the morning. Reckon their hideout can't too far away.
with that he turns his mount and heads out at a trot.

You continue to ride through the rest of the afternoon. As you reach the hills, the trail turns west and runs parallel to them. You follow them in this direction for about an hour before Clancy calls a stop by a steep hill, with a small copse of wood at the base.

We'll make camp here. It's shaded and there's wood for a fire - no fire til, the sun is down, which'll be less'n hour by my reckoning. he glances towards the sun, low in the sky.

You dismount and lead your horses to the woods.

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:47 pm
by Tabs

Harriet busies herself preparing their food. She waits until sundown, as Clancy said, to light the fire and cook a hearty supper.

To anyone: "If you boyz want coffee, we'll need water."

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:56 pm
by ghill
Strachan

Dismounting from his horse, Strachan leads it into the woods following after the Sheriff. Wherever the Sheriff chooses to camp Strachan tries to find a place which will allow him to sleep near the horse, he's read enough dime novels to know the red savages, will sneak into a white's camp and steal their horses and anything else not nailed down and he has no intention of letting it happen to him. He then starts to rub down his horse.

Noticing Harriet preparing a fire, he rests a hand on her shoulder stopping her from lighting it

You sure you don't want a cold routine sheriff? if those killers have sent a man to cover the back trail, they'll likely see the light of it, if not the smoke.
OOC:   if the sheriff says yes to the fire, then strachan simply picks up his bed roll and moves himself as far from the fire as possible.  

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:08 pm
by Priest
Farnsworthy:

Sliding down from the horse he spends several moments slapping dust from his clothes all the while watching as the negress busys herself building a fire. As the flames crackle to life he looks in the direction where they had been travelling. For a few moments he seems deep in thought, then shrugging his shoulders he leads his mount off away from the fire and trail a little, before unbuckling the saddle allowing it and its various acoutrements to slide to the floor.
Unfastening his blanket he spreads it on the floor rhen sits cross legged, his bible beside him, and begins the meticulous process of cleaning his pistol. He takes the cylinder out, empties the powder and ball, cleans each of the six chambers, before reloading and fixing new caps to the nipples. Once that's complete he opens a pouch at his belt takes out a spare cylinder and repeats the process. Once finished he replaces the cylinder within the pistols frame, snaps home the retaining pins and spins the cylinder twice.
"Always check the cylinder, seen to many men kilt 'cause of a misfire or a dud cap"/color] he was speaking to no one in particular. Replacing the sixshooter into its leather scabard he picks up the Bible, takes a small pair of glasses from the inside pocket of his jacket, puts them on and opening the book begins to read slowly and deliberately...

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"We should set a watch," suggests James. "I'd say four watches, two men to a watch. I'll volunteer for first watch." He knows he's sturdy enough to stay up longer, and this way he can also have the rest of the night to sleep uninterrupted.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:21 am
by NFVD

Mario volunteers to make the first watch with James. He wants an early night.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:56 pm
by Papa Gateau
I reckon' we're safe enough with a fire tonight, them boys been settin' a fair pace. The hill will hide the fire, if they double back and smoke ain't gonna be problem tonight.

Clancy glances up at the thin crescent moon

Two on watch is good, one head up to the crest of the hill, lookout to the West, the other stays around camp. Two hours on.

Mario, James you up first, as you put your hands up, McGill boys you next, then Hank, John, Me and the Preacher take the dead of night, Seth, Patrick take us through to sun up

You set up yourselves up in and around the campfire, whilst Harriet busies herself making a meal. Once the sun has dropped, the air temperature drops with it and the damp rises from the ground. You pass the time making small talk. Around 10pm, you start spreading out your bedrolls to get some shut-eye.
OOC:   All,
If you want to role-play conversation around the camp, go ahead. If not, then give me spot-hiddens for your respective watches.  

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:09 pm
by ghill
Strachan

Strachan nods at the sheriff Clancy's decision and lifts his hand from Harriet's shoulder with a gentle smile. I hope you gentlemen wont think me impolite, but I'm going to get my head down.

[ic-think],Perhaps, if he'd been shot at a few times the sheriff might worry less about a hot coffee, and more about whether bad men do as you expect them to.[/ic-think]

When it comes his turn to stand watch Strachan banks the coals so the fire doesn't go out or need to be fed more than a minimum and then stays as far from the fire as possible in an effort to keep his night vision. Sitting just outside the camp and above it if possible, making sure the others know where he's settled. Then with his shotgun over his knee he tries to let his senses used to the night.

Spot hidden 40% 1d100=31

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

James takes the post at the top of the hill, where he watches alertly.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:17 pm
by Tabs

Harriet has soon cooked enough vittles for all. She carries plates to Sheriff Clancy, Murdoch and Strachan, "The rest of 'em," she thinks, "will have to help 'emselves." She notes that Strachan has positioned himself out of the firelight, and does the same, but not too far away: she ensures that she is near to Clancy; and later she beds down near to Murdoch when he finishes his watch.

Harriet watches the stars revolve around the heavens.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:55 pm
by NFVD
Mario gets his .44 Henry Repeating Rifle and sets down for his watch turn.
Spoiler:
Mario's Spot Hidden roll 1d100=79

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you kindly, Miss Tubman," says James when Harriet brings his grub. He says grace before tucking into the food, which is tasty as always.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:04 am
by Papa Gateau
The night and your respective watches pass without incident.

As the eastern horizon begins to lighten with the pre-dawn glow, you are awoken by the smell of coffee as the younger McGill brother, stirs up the embers of the fire and makes a brew.

Harriet quickly takes over the duties and makes a simple breakfast of beans and bacon. Within an hour, you are back on the trail, heading west.

The morning is fresh, with a damp chill but by mid-morning the sun has burned off the dew and the sun feels good on your backs.
All,Can I have Spot Hidden rolls please

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:27 am
by ghill
Strachan

Sits upright on his horse happy with the state of things. Perhaps the sheriff was right, these aren't soldiers they're chasing merely brigands. Even so Strachan had stuck to his morning routine wiping down each of his guns in turn, changing powder and ball on his pistols to make sure everything was in working order and taking out the shotgun cartridges to make sure they are sound. He'd then fed and seen to his horse before taking a a bowl of breakfast with thanks from Harriet.

Strachan is perhaps overly relaxed taking in his surroundings, but not seeing the fine detail.

Spot Hidden(40): 1d100=45

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:25 am
by Tabs

Why thank you, Mr. McGill," says Harriet, pouring herself a mug of coffee.

~

Oh, what a glorious morning!" she says.
Spot Hidden,25% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:25 pm
by Priest
Farnsworthy:

Looks up from his Bible, reading while riding is not difficult for someone used to it. He glances to the rear of the column of horsemen and dazzled by the morning sun is for a moment once again riding somwhere on the Missouri-Kansas border a tall shadow moves across the sun, he almost splutters Cap..., but manages to catch himself.
He quickly looks around him, bringing himself back to the present.
Spot Hidden,25% 1d100 → [83] = (83) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4810674/

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:37 pm
by NFVD

The Mexican is quiet and out-of-the-way this morning, vanishing for a few minutes for his ablutions. The only curious event is his consumption of coffee which clearly is twice over that of any other companion. He mumbles something in his tongue about the darn coffe being too damn week this side of the border. When it is rime to ride again he imiates others and looks for tracks or signs of their target's passing.
Spoiler:
Spot Hidden (57%) roll: 1d100=56

Holy crud! Success with 1% margin. Should we check skills on our character sheets?

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

James rides at the head of the column again, the better to see what lies ahead, his rifle near to hand. For the first time in a while, he feels like he's in enemy territory, and he remains constantly alert.

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:21 am
by Papa Gateau
You ride through morning and into early afternoon making good time. It's about this time that, as you crest a rise, that Mario and James see a lone rider following in your tracks - maybe 3 or 4 miles behind you. From this distance you are unable to make out any details.

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:54 am
by ghill
Seeing something attract Mario and James attention Strachan stops his horse and takes a moment to get comfy in the sadle again, settles the big Walkers on his hips.

What have you chaps seen?
OOC:   I think the real life max distance you can make out an individual is just under two miles, so can they actually see a person or is it a matter of identifying sign of the person - ie dust cloud? Also are we still moving hard? Because if so can we assume the rider must know where we are?  

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:12 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   With your current elevation, looking back down they can make out what they believe to be a lone horseman. It would appear the horseman is following your tracks, you are making no effort to hide them and have been pushing at a canter/trot/walk/canter/trot/walk.  

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:48 pm
by NFVD

In answer to Strachan's question Mario points towards the distance.

"Someone is comin'." he says, "We been followed."

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:37 pm
by Tabs

Harriet positions Pepe, her mule, so that she is In the centre of the posse.

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

James drops back to join the others. "I see him too," he says. "He's a few miles back, too far to tell who he is or what he wants. I think we should find an advantageous position and wait for him to catch up to us. If he's hostile, we can get the drop on him. If he's not, we can have a talk."

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:26 pm
by Papa Gateau
Clancy nods in agreement We'll wait for him, see what he's got to say fer himself.

The rest will do the horses good too.

You wait and watch as the lone horseman covers the ground between you. He's pushing his horse hard and rides and in a direct line, following your tracks. When he gets to about half a mile away he slows to a canter and then to a trot before stopping about 30 yards away.

You can tell that his horse is blown and is well lathered, he raises his arms in front of his chest and calls out Sherrif Clancy? My name is Gus Courtwright I'm an employee of the Pinkerton Detective Agency, I'm mean no harm, may I approach?

Clancy spits and then nods Keep your'e hands away from your irons he calls and then in a lower voice that won't carry to the Pinkerton man I ain't got much time for Pinkerton men, I don't rightly trust them, be on your guard.

The man approaches, walking his horse slowly and holding his reins high and keeping his hands visible.

State your business Mr. Courtwright Clancy says in a flat tone.

I'm on agency business, Sherrif. One of the men killed on the train was a Pinkertons man, his name was Jeff Hand, he was my partner. The men that killed him, the men you're hunting, stole items that belong to the agency from him, in particular a letter and some papers. I need to recover those papers. the man speaks with an east coast accent

I've ridden hard to catch up with you all. Our aims align sir, let me ride with you and I'll lend you my gun arm if you need it. All I ask is the return of the papers that were taken from my partner and that rightfully belong to the Pinkerton Agency.

Clancy eyes the man, weighing him up You can ride with us, an extra gun is always useful. a long pause, then Whatever we recover, we will return to Mr. Derry as was his order. He'll see to it that everyone get's back what's rightfully theirs

It looks as though Courtwright is about challenge Clancy then he lets out a sigh All right Sherrif, I agree.

Clancy nods again Alright, we'll rest here awhile. That horse is blown and needs a rest. Mr. Murdoch, when that watch of yours tells a half hour has passed we mount up again.

Make your introductions.
he dismounts and takes his water canteen from his saddle bag.
All,Can I have an Insight roll and a straight d100 roll from each of you.

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:40 pm
by Tabs
Harriet climbs down off of her mule, and kneels down in Pepe's shadow taking sips from her canteen.
Rolls,Insight 30% [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

James takes out his pocketwatch and checks the time. The Pinkerton man has a perfect poker face, and James is glad he isn't playing cards with him. He isn't too fond of the Pinkertons either, as they helped the Union during the war, so he takes the advice of the sheriff to heart easily. Still, he tries not to let his suspicions show. "James Murdoch," he says to Gus Courtwright, extending his hand for a shake, uncertain of what lies ahead.

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:27 pm
by NFVD

Mario doesn't like having a detective around. His lifepath left him with little affinity for L&O types, despite him currently being working for thr "other side". Still, he doesn't manifest any ill-will towards the new arrival. Mario simply observes the man as he joins them.

Spoiler:
Insight (30%) roll: 1d100=27

Staright 1d100 roll: 1d100=17

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:50 pm
by ghill
Strachan

With half an hour to rest Strachan dismounts and rubs his horse down and checks it. All the time watching the new comer out of the corner of his eyes.
Keeper,Insight 10%: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4814281/]1d100=8[/url] Woot!!!! d100 roll: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4814363/]1d100=97[/url] That can't be good?!
I don't want to appear rude, Mr Courtwright, but do you actually have any bonfides which prove matters are as you say and you are acting for and on behalf of the Pinkerton Agency?
OOC:   If the man actually presented papers when he arrived please ignore.  

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:04 am
by Papa Gateau
Courtright moves around the group quickly, making his introductions.

When he reaches Strachan he produces a silver badge and says Why yes, I do sir. Here is my badge. he smiles and moves on. Once the introductions are done he moves over to his horse and begins to rub it down.
Strachan,As Courtright makes his introduction you observe how the rest of posse react to him: Clancy - doesn't really want the man along but is happy for the extra gun McGill brothers - seem excited to be in the presence of a genuine Pinkertons man Hank James - it's all he can do to bring himself to shake the mans hand. He definitely doesn't want anything to do with the him. Patrick 'Mahoney - seems non-plussed by the man Seth Oakley - seems reticent about the man. Yourself - once you see the badge, you warm to the man and feel glad to have him along
Mario,As Courtright makes his introduction you observe how the rest of posse react to him: Clancy - doesn't really want the man along but is happy for the extra gun McGill brothers - seem excited to be in the presence of a genuine Pinkertons man Hank James - it's all he can do to bring himself to shake the mans hand. He definitely doesn't want anything to do with the him. Patrick 'Mahoney - seems non-plussed by the man Seth Oakley - seems reticent about the man. Yourself - you have a bad feeling about the man, you don't trust him and he makes you feel edgy
Murdoch Harriet & Ethan,Courtright makes his introduction, you feel feel indifferent towards him, you attitude coloured by your previous thoughts on Pinkertons and their men - good or bad - and don't observe any noticeable reaction from the rest of the posse. Harriet, you're just relieved to be out of the saddle for a few minutes

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:01 am
by Priest
Farnsworthy:

Ethan is fairly ambivelent towards the Pinkerton man, hes ridden with worse and better. He moves his horse alongside the newcomer and gestures to his saddle bag from which his leather bound Bible can be seen, "You a believer son? This land is too full of heathens for my likin'"

He looks to see how the stranger carries his gun, you can tell a lot about a man's nature from his pistol rig.

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

James takes out his own canteen, with the letters CSA emblazoned on it, and takes a swig. It's one of his souvenirs from the war.

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:59 pm
by Tabs

" 'CSA,' Mr Murdoch?" enquires Harriet, offering James an oat biscuit.

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Miss Tubman," says James, sitting beside her and chewing on the biscuit, continuing to speak when he finishes. "Mmm, that was delicious! Yes, CSA stands for Confederate States of America. I rode with J.E.B. Stuart in the war. I see you have your letters. That's a real good thing. I know plantation owners forbade their slaves from learning to read, in order to keep them in their position. Knowing how to read is vital for being free, and for staying that way. I never had any use for slavery. My family's too poor to have been able to afford to keep slaves even if we'd wanted to. When I fought for the Confederacy, I was fighting for freedom, just like my great-grandparents fought against the British - no offense to Mr. Strachan. The Federals got too big for their britches, just like any government does when it amasses too much power. The federal government has been turning into the very thing it was created to oppose. It was a long time coming, and Lincoln's election was just the last straw. The Confederate States resisted, though I'll admit mostly out of economic self-interest. The South had an economy that depended entirely on slavery, and so it opposed anything that threatened it. But there were some of us who recognized that the Federals don't really stand for freedom. They want to impose something akin to slavery, though by another name, and they mean to impose it on everyone. There's a limit to their reach, though. Out West, a man can still be free. A woman too."

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:23 pm
by Tabs

"Yes, Mr. Murdoch, I have my letters," says Harriet,"and plenty of scripture 'n' history too." She doesn't comment on his story, not wishing to argue with James about the rights and wrongs of the Confederate States.

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:47 pm
by ghill
Strachan

Strachan smiles as he listens to James try and explain himself to Harriet, displaying not one ounce of embarrassment. Its not the first time he's heard him justify his actions in the war and he's certain it wont be the last, but its certainly the first time he's heard him justify himself to a Negro.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:12 am
by Priest
Farnsworthy:
Sliding from the saddle, Ethan keeps his face covered as he hears to Murdoch's attempt to justify the war. The 'south' is full of apologists these days, so its an explanation that he has heard so many times before.
"South should've freed the slaves, then fired on Sumpter. But mostly they should've fought the war with the same furosity as Sherman displayed at Atlanta. Too much 'chivalry' and not enough killin"

As he turns he looks at Harriet, "Good to hear sister, you can never have enough scripture. The doings of man are of little import when compared to the plans of the Lord, Amen"

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:29 pm
by Tabs

"Amen," echoes Harriet, warming to Farnsworthy (slightly).

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:07 pm
by Papa Gateau
After the brief respite you mount up again and continue to follow the tracks.

You notice that Hank James, who was riding at the head of the posse with Clancy has dropped towards to the rear, always keeping the Pinkerton's man ahead of him. You continue to push your mounts at a respectable pace - following the canter, trot, walk routine.

As nightfall approaches, you stop to make camp.

We've made good ground today Clancy says even with the break to rest Mr Courtwright's horse. I reckon we're no more'n 2, maybe 3, hours behind them.

We'll rest up here and hopefully be on them by sun down tomorrow, they've been mostly walkin' their horses for the last half day, so we may even catch 'em earlier than that.
he turns to Harriet Miss Harriet there'll be no fire tonight, the rest of us will split the watch same as last night, Mr Courtwright, you can stand watch with me and Mr Farnsworthy with that he turns and starts attending his horse.
All,Watch rota is as follows - if you want to swap between yourselves or one of the posse, play it out upto 10pm - assume everyone is awake 10-12 - [b]Mario[/b] & [b]James[/b] 12-2 - McGill brothers 2-4 Hank & [b]John[/b], 4-6 Clancy, [b]Ethan[/b] & Courtwright 6-sun up - Seth & Patrick Spot hidden rolls for your turn on watch

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:08 pm
by ghill
Strachan

As they settle for the night John makes sure his horse it fed watered and rubbed down after the hard days ride, taking extra care to make sure there is nothing in the little mare's hooves. He then cleans both the pistols down in turn and checks the shot gun. He then eats his meal pretty much in silence, talking only as much as he needs to in order not to be impolite.

When his watch comes Strachan moves to a spot outside the camps perimeter with his back to something solid so he's not silhouetted, having first made sure Hank knows where he's settled himself. He then checks to make sure that Hank is similarly concealed.
Spot Hidden,Strachan's Spot Hidden: 40% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

James once again positions himself on the high ground when he takes his turn at watch.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (55% skill) on watch: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:28 pm
by NFVD

And Mario keeps James company on the first watch.
Spoiler:
Spot Hidden roll (57%) [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:33 pm
by Priest
Farnsworthy:
Like the others Ethan settles down to a cold supper. Reads a little then sleeps the sleep of the just in readiness for his watch.
During his watch he tries to strike up a conversation with their new comrade, "So Mr Courtwright, you been with the Pinkerton's long?"
Spot Hidden,25% rolled 97 http://orokos.com/roll/272460

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:36 am
by Tabs
Harriet beds down for the night, following the same routine as before.

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:50 pm
by Papa Gateau
Strachan,During your watch you note that [b]Courtwright[/b] remains awake. He beds down and it looks as though he is going to slepp but he stays awake and eyes follow the sounds of the changing shifts etc.
Priest wrote:Farnsworthy:
Like the others Ethan settles down to a cold supper. Reads a little then sleeps the sleep of the just in readiness for his watch.
During his watch he tries to strike up a conversation with their new comrade, "So Mr Courtwright, you been with the Pinkerton's long?"
In answer to Ethan's question he replies in a low voice Couple of years. Long enough to be trusted by the men on top. Long enough to be trusted to work alone, if needs be.

The night passes without incident.

As you eat a cold breakfast Clancy speaks up Ok, men. As I said last night we've made good ground and we should catch them today. Keep your wits about you. Just because they've been none too clever about hiding their tracks don't mean they can't surprise us.

You finish your breakfast, saddle up and head out.

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:15 pm
by ghill
Strachan throws the saddle onto the back of his horse, feeling a familiar stiffness in his back and legs, he's still happy with the state of things though. He's ridden harder, for longer before, mostly trying to keep up with the fleeing Confederate army while this ride has the added benefit is no one is shooting at them, yet. He maintains his morning routine wiping down each of his guns in turn, making sure powder and ball in his pistols are fresh and everything is in working order. When he climbs into the saddle his horse is fed and and so is he.
Keeper,Spoiler: Does [b]Courtwright[/b] seem overly tired this morning ie does he look like he remained awake most of the night or just my stag? When I noticed he was awake did he seem aware I'd noticed his wakefulness? Watching him do I think it was pre battle nerves or something else? [b]Insight 10%[/b][dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:26 pm
by Papa Gateau
Strachan,You noted that he was awake when you were woken for your watch and that he remained awake throughout your watch and then he went into his - so to your mind he has been awake for most of the night. You made eye contact with him when you were woken for your watch, though no words were exchanged, so it's safe to assume that he knows that you know he was awake at that time. As far as you can tell he's showing no signs of tiredness

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:05 pm
by ghill
Strachan leads his horse over to where James is making his preparations. Then in a low voice. Well James I don't know whether our man Courtwright doesn't trust us, or just has a bad case of pre battle jitters, he was already awake when I started my stag last night, and went straight into his own

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:49 am
by Tabs

Harriet, nibbling at a biscuit, approaches Sheriff Clancy, she swallows and says: "I unerstan' that we may catch the outlaws today--" she stops talking, not wishing to appear scared. "Um--do y' think I need stay at the rear of the posse, sir?"

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

James nods. "That one bears watching," he says. When he sees Harriet speak to the sheriff, he goes with her. "That's probably not the best idea either. They may have figured they're being followed and could have set up an ambush. All they'd have to do is have some of their people hide, lying in wait until we've passed, then hit us from the rear. If they want to be really nasty, they'll hit us from both sides at once. The safest place may be in the middle of the column."

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:18 am
by Papa Gateau
Clancy looks at Harriet with a wry grin Well Miss Harriet you're welcome to ride at the front or the middle or wherever you want but so far you seem to most happy bumping along at the back, holding on to that mule of yours like he's the last thing between you and the good Lord the grin turns into a smile, accompanied with a little wink When things get a little hot, best if you hang back and hide yourself behind the horses

You all mount up and ride out, again the spring weather is fine and you make a good pace. Around midday the trail turns and follows a shallow river, around 10' wide. The river flows down through the foothills and the tracks follow it. After an another hour or so the hills are steeper and the river cuts through a gorge, about 800' across. The sides of the gorge rise to about 200'.

Clancy reins up Right men, if I were going to have me an ambush, it'd be through here. I suggest we spread ourselves out and keep our eyes and ears open. he pulls his Winchester from his forward slung boot and chambers a round. Miss Harriet it might be best if you lead your mule on foot. The rest of us spread out, I want at least 15' between each man
All,Let me know your marching order, if you're not worried about your position then I'll assign it. Clancy will take lead/point

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:13 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Just a couple of questions. How deep is the stream? When you say shallow is it ankle deep, something we can walk the horses through without issue, or something more substantial? The 200' foot sides, are those cliffs? Is it possible to ride or lead horses out of the gorge so we could follow the river from above? If we don't climb out how much higher are we than someone stood at the river bank?  
Strachan looks around, taking note of the confined nature of the ground, the posse is well and truly bottled up as it follows the river. Spacing them out will make it more difficult to spring an ambush which catches all of them

Sheriff Clancy do you want us to send scouts forward, or up onto the high ground, it will make life much harder for them if they do intend to ambush us?

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:20 pm
by Papa Gateau
All,The river isn't very deep, maybe 3'-4' at the centre but it is fast flowing, probably due to the spring thaw. You don't think it would be too difficult to ford/cross. You can see the river bottom from the bank, it is stony and not silted with mud. The river banks stand 2'-3' above the river, you can see that the river has previously run much deeper by the way the banks are cut. The gorge walls are very steep - they could be climbed but with difficulty, the valley floor isn't flat (being a river valley) the 800' width is what can be ridden on, though its rocky and encroached with low foliage. Try and imagine a cross between these images but the taller trees stand further back from the river bank. [img]http://www.notoriety.co.uk/ysdc/river-gorge-1.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.notoriety.co.uk/ysdc/river-gorge-2.jpg[/img] You can see, similar to the top image above, that river winds to the right after about a mile. The tracks you have been following are on the left side of the river
Clancy looks back the way you have come Probably lose a couple of hours riding back and finding a way to the top he rubs his jaw in contemplation and if the river forks or they cross the river we could find ourselves on the wrong side of the river on the top there with no way down.

Nope, we're nearly on them. We'll carry along the bottom here but we go slowly and we scout ahead on foot first.

Mr Strachan, you just volunteered yourself scouting duty, Mr O'Mahoney you can go with him

Mr Oakley, Mr Murdoch cross the river and scout the opposite bank. Let's see what's up around that bend. Keep an eye on their tracks - I want to know if they cross river.

The rest of you men, keep yourselves alert and be ready to ride if these men need help or walk themselves into an ambush

He dismounts, loosely tethers his horse to a low bush and scans the top of the gorge, his Winchester held loosely in his massive hands.

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:53 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Oh. OK thanks for the pics, I was thinking far more open and a lot, lot less wooded.  
Climbing off his horse Strachan pulls the shotgun out from where its been wrapped in his saddle blanket. Making sure O'Mahoney is ready he then starts down the trail on foot leading the horse. The wooded slopes are both familiar and entirely alien, none of the bird calls or smells are what he expects.
OOC:   Strachan isn't really a tracker, so he's taking his time, stopping regularly and keeping his head up and ears open, looking and listening for the out of place. I failed both Spot Hidden(40 rolled 60) and Listen (40 rolled 90)  

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:56 pm
by Papa Gateau
ghill wrote:
OOC:   Oh. OK thanks for the pics, I was thinking far more open and a lot, lot less wooded.  
OOC:   It's not as heavily wooded as the pictures - but they are the closest that I could find that matches what's in my head. You've moved off the prairie, into the foothills and now into the outer edge of the mountains - there's not much logging or man made interference to control the wild frontier. The area to either side of the river is less densely wooded - probably due to winter/spring floods pulling up young trees before they can get established - closer to the gorge walls the trees are more dense and mature.  
Strachan,you see and hear nothing leading up to the bend in the river. [b]O'Mahoney[/b] indicates the tracks you have been following continue round the bend. Can I have another spot hidden and listen for the next mile after the bend.

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:11 pm
by Priest
Farnsworthy:
Smiling with amusement at the obvious concern being expressed by Harriet, Ethan murmurs in a low voice, "We are all Gods instruments here sister. Front, middle or back makes little difference if the good Lord calls you".
Sliding to the ground he draws the colt from its holster and moves to stand by the Pinkerton man, "Mind ifn I watch alongside you?" the question was posed in such a way that it required no answer.

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:42 pm
by NFVD

Mario gets his .44 Henry repeating rifle Matador sin dolor at the ready. Just to be on the safe side in cases el demonio weaves his wiles. His shifty eyes don't leave the group's scouts as they make their way.
Spoiler:
I am fine with any position the GM decides on the marching order.

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:46 pm
by Tabs

"Will do, Sheriff," says Harriet when Clancy suggests she hide behind the horses should things get 'a little hot.'

~

She replies confidently to Farnsworthy: "My soul is prepared, sir," and thinks, "I pray to thee, Lord, don't call on lil' Harriet jus' yet."

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"We're on it, Sheriff," says Murdoch. He rides with Oakley across the river, his Winchester in his hand with a round chambered, keeping an eye on the tracks and the other on their surroundings.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:13 pm
by Papa Gateau
Murdoch,2x spot hidden, 2 x listen, 1 x tracking rolls

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:24 pm
by ghill
Strachan proceeds along the trail trying to keep James vaguely in sight on the other side of the stream.
Spot Hidden 40% - [dice]0[/dice]
Listen 40% - [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

James looks around very alertly, though he cannot hear anything of interest, nor can he read any tracks that he finds.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll 1 (55% skill): [dice]0[/dice] Spot Hidden roll 2 (55% skill): [dice]1[/dice] Listen roll 1 (55% skill): [dice]2[/dice] Listen roll 2 (55% skill): [dice]3[/dice] Track roll (10% base skill): [dice]4[/dice]

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:11 pm
by Papa Gateau
Strachan,You follow the river as it curves to the right. It flows fairly straight for a couple of miles or so before bending back to the left. You are about halfway to the next bend in the river when you see a flash of light about 3/4 of the way up the valley wall, on the opposite side of the river to you. You're not 100% sure of what it is but experience and best guess you'd say it was light reflecting off a spyglass.
Murdoch,You follow the river up to the first bend and don't notice anything to worry you. You can see [b]Strachan[/b] on the opposite side of the river. You continue along the river as it curves to the right. It flows fairly straight for a couple of miles or so before bending back to the left. You are about halfway to the next bend in the river when you see a flash of light about 3/4 of the way up the valley wall, on the same side of the river to you. You focus your attention on that point and think you can make out some more flashes - not as bright and direct as the first one. If you were a betting man you'd put your money on that being a signal of some kind. ooc - critical success on Spot Hidden
Others,The scouts have been gone maybe an hour or more and you haven't heard or seen anything to worry you. The sun is warm and the river bubbles along adding an air of tranquility to the background sounds of birdsong. Your mounts, glad for the rest munch lazily on the low foliage and seem totally relaxed and at ease.

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:36 pm
by ghill
Strachan moves so as to stand with a tree between himself and anyone further down the valley. He then picks up a stone and tosses it across the stream to attract Murdoch's attention

James, did you see that, your side about half to three quarters of the way up?
Keeper,One assumes we're not yet in effective rifle range at this point?

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:41 pm
by Papa Gateau
Strachan,you're well out of range - probably at least a mile away

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"You mean those flashes of light, John?" says James. "Yeah, someone up there is signalling. We need to warn the others and prepare our defenses. I think the killers are about to spring their ambush."

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:34 am
by Tabs
Harriet takes the opportunity to refill her canteen at the river; she holds its mouth below the water--it gently "glugs." The warm sun plays on her cheeks, "What a lovely place," she thinks.

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:44 pm
by ghill
Strachan shakes his head "They're to far away to be an immediate threat, even with one of those big buffalo rifles, you American's are so fond of" he turns to O'Mahoney. Mr O'Mahoney would you mind going back to Sheriff Murdoch and telling him that someone is hidden half way up the canyon sides on the far side of the river, they're not an immediate threat but we need to decide whether to hurry after them, so we can try and stop them escaping, or whether we want to try and lure them down so we can ambush them. Can you also tell him I would suggest we visibly set up camp then wait for darkness to fall before setting up our own ambush or moving out to attack them at their camp. Then turning back to James. James would you and Mr Oakley mind moving up slope a bit and make sure no one can slip around behind us on your side of the river, while the sheriff decides what he wants to do.
Clearings?,Can Strachan see a clearing or small meadow like area where the posse might reasonably and visibly set up camp nearby. If there is Strachan will suggest that the Sheriff meets him in the trees (and out of site) nearby.

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:13 pm
by Papa Gateau
O'Mahoney turns to Strachan, throws a mock salute whilst saying Sure thing cap'n. He takes his mount, saddles up and heads back at a gentle canter
Clearings,there are several clearings on either side of the river that would suit your purpose
O'Mahoney rides back to the main posse, dismounts and talks with Clancy. After a minute or two Clancy calls across to everyone Mount up! Our quarry is a little further up the gorge. According to Mr O'Mahoney here our scouts were observed and a signal sent - so they will be expecting us.

We're going to ride up to the others, take a look at the lay of the land and decide our course of action after that.

Keep your rifles ready and your eyes sharp!

He waits a moment or two for you to mount your steeds before heading out at a brisk trot.

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"We're on it, John," says James. He leads Oakley up the slope, keeping watch on their surroundings.

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:54 am
by Priest
Farnsworthy:
Ethan nods at Clancy then spits a stream of brown tobacco juice into a nearby bush. Checking the pistols load once more he replaces the Coltl in its holster, before climbing into the saddle of his mount. Turning the horse to the rear he moves into a position that will be near the back of any column, ifn we're riding into a trap I sure don't have to be first in it, let the lawdog go first that's his job.

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:03 am
by Tabs
Harriet fumbles a few shotgun shells into her pocket, "They scare crows mighty fine," she thinks, so she hopes they will have the same effect on any of the bad men.

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:15 pm
by NFVD

The Mexican rides on with the rest of the group. Forewarned that there will likely be trouble and their arrival won't be surprising their quarry he is keeping his rifle handy by his side.

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:42 am
by Papa Gateau
The posse rides up and O'Mahoney leads you to where Strachan and Murdoch wait on either side of the river.

He calls the scouts in, get's their first hand report and listens as Strachan outlines his idea for making camp and preparing a counter ambush.

Ok, Mr Strachan, I think that could probably work. I want to know what's up around that next bend.

I want two men to scout on foot, leave your horses here with the rest of us. Head up to the next bend and see what's around there. I want you all cheyenne like. See if you can see how their man got up the gorge to watch the approach - I don't want us fighting an enemy who has the high ground.

I want another two men to scout out a suitable clearing that we can set up camp in but will also make a good ambush point. Again go on foot.

Who's up for that?

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:11 pm
by ghill
Well if no one else volunteers I'll go sheriff, but I'm more used to fighting from the back of my horse than on foot. says Strachan, all the while trying to keen an eye out for more flashes of light on the valleys far slope,

Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm not very sneaky, but I'll scout ahead," says James. "In the American cavalry, we're used to fighting on foot. We usually only fight from horseback during a charge." He recalls Pickett's Charge, where he took a Minie ball to the shoulder. The wound had hurt like hell, but it had ended up saving his life. "We use our horses to get where we're going, then dismount."

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:14 am
by Tabs
"You be careful, Mr. Murdoch, and you too, Mr. Strachen, says Harriet, curious and a little concerned about James' faraway stare.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:45 pm
by ghill
Strachan

Well as no other volunteers seem to be forthcoming I suppose James and I should see if we can find that chap on the high ground. Shall we get about it James?

Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy

James nods. "Let's get going, John," he says, heading off on foot with his old friend, rifle at the ready. "We'll be careful, Miss Tubman. Please look after our horses."

Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:15 am
by Papa Gateau
As the two of you are about head off, Doug McGee speaks out

Me and Alan will scout up around the bend. Why don't you two look out the clearing for the ambush, bein' soldiers you more'n likely going to choose a better ambush site than me'n Alan would he looks across at his older brother, raising an eyebrow in askance. His brother returns a slight nod and then turns to Clancy

That alright with you Sherrif?

Clancy eyes up the brothers, you can see him weighing up the decision, two war veterans or two young, keen but inexperineced boys.

Ok, you boys scout up around the bend, they know we're here already but don't take no stupid chances, just report back what we need to know. Mr. Strachan, Mr. Murdoch find us that ambush site

The young men grab their rifles from their mounts and start to walk along the river's bank towards the bend.

Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm
by ghill
Strachan just shrugs and turns to move slowly down the trail, he's looking for a clearing which would be an obvious camp site for the night, will be visible so their watcher will see them making camp, but far enough away he wont be able to make out any detail once night falls and they sneak away from the camp. Ideally, there will be a way to sneak up unseen on the camp thus providing an obvious place for the posse to mount their ambush on.
OOC:   There isn't a Military Science skill so is there something else you'd like us to roll?  

Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

James carefully surveys their surroundings, trying to think of a spot he would use if he were going to lay an ambush.

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:49 am
by Papa Gateau
Strachan & Murdoch,Give me KNOW rolls to choose the ambush site

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:10 am
by ghill
Strachan

KNOW roll [dice]0[/dice]

Scanning the ground ahead of him Strachan see's a clearing which fits his requirements, cover vantage points and an approach that a competent bushwhacker is likely to use. "what do you think James?"

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

James nods. "That's where I'd lie in wait if I were them, John," he says.
OOC,Know roll (80% stat) to think of a good ambush site: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:04 pm
by Papa Gateau
Strachan and Murdoch check out the clearing, happy that it will suit the purposes for an ambush.

They head back to Clancy and tell him about the clearing.

Sounds good to men, let's head on up there and set up camp and wait for our scouts to get back

You gather your mounts, head up to the clearing and begin to make camp. About an half-hour later the 2 McGee brothers return.

Didn't see no sign of anyone Sherrif the older of the two brother remarks but we think the man that Mr Strachan and Mr Murdoch saw was up in a cave. There's a cave about 3/4 of the way up the canyon wall, couldn't rightly see a way up or down to it, so maybe there's a passage out the back he pauses Then we carried on up around the bend like you asked, the river bends back round to the left and the gorge narrows, you could only ride 1 horse at a time along the bank and the river flows fast through there. Most of the far bank is washed away through there and we didn't go beyond that bend. Looked like a good place to catch a bullet.

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"We need to draw them out," says James. "They might not know we spotted them, but they've sure seen us. If we can lure them out and get them to try to ambush us, we could spring a counterambush."

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:17 pm
by ghill
Pulling his bedroll down to the ground. Strachan turns to James "Well if they have the inclination I expect the ruffians to come down tonight and we'll have to sneak into our positions as soon as its dark and make sure we're waiting for them. Going further down the valley and into the ravine would be pretty much suicidal in my opinion."

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

James nods. "Sounds about right to me," he says. "I'm not a sneaky sort, so I'll be part of the bait and leave the bushwhacking to others."

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:37 pm
by ghill
Strachan nods Well if the sheriff is OK with you being bait, then lets move a log into the clearing which we can use as a seat, and you can use as hard cover if they do bushwack us, rather than the other way around. You may want to discretely make a scrape under your bedroll as well just so you can get nice and low when the shooting starts.

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good thinking," says James. "We'll grab a log, and I'll be sure to dig a dugout."

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:29 am
by ghill
"Just don't be to obvious about the digging, you just want to scrape some dirt to get yourself a couple of inches below everyone else. This isn't Vicksburg and 'they' see to many preparations we'll put" them off. Says Strachan.

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"True enough," says James. "All those fortifications didn't save Vicksburg in the end anyway." He had missed Vicksburg, having been at Gettysburg at the time. He'd heard the news of its fall as he recovered from his wound in a hospital tent. It had been devastating, especially following so close to the defeat at Gettysburg and falling on Independence Day as it had. However, Gettysburg had hit him worse because he had lost so many of his friends there, at Devil's Den and especially during Pickett's Charge. He had been one of the lucky few survivors, luckier still that he hadn't lost a limb. If that ball had struck him a few inches lower...

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:29 am
by Papa Gateau
The clearing you have chosen is 100-150 yards from the bend in the river, where the gorge narrows slightly on this of the river side at a curve, it looks as though the low vegetation has been swept away during a winter flood. The ground is stony and rocky and there a few large pieces of timber and other deadwood that could be used as seats and to burn for a camp-fire. There's also the trunk of a fairly large tree which would provide some cover for a man lying behind it. There are also a few large boulders that would cover a man to his belly if he were kneeling behind them.

As you ride Clancy pulls up short of the clearing and surveys the area, then nods in approval You chose a good spot gentlemen.

Right, we need to bait the trap. They know we're coming but they don't know how many of us. We don't want to be looking too strong. I'm thinking five of us in the camp and the rest take up positions around the perimeter. When they strike, those in the camp fall back and we try and draw them into the open ground and into a killing field.

Miss Tubman, you hang back a good ways and look after the horses, well those that aren't with the camp.

Mr Murdoch, you've already volunteered to be bait, as do I. You all already know that this is dangerous business and those of us making camp will at the sharp end of that danger - so I'd rather have another three volunteers to enjoy a warm fire and belly of hot food with me and Mr Murdoch. So who's it gonna be?
he looks across at you all.

The McGee brothers look at each other and the younger, Doug speaks up Yessir, me and Alan will join you in the camp

Clancy nods at the two men and there is a pause until Courtwright, the Pinkerton's man speaks up Well sheriff, your plans seems a good one but it does mean that we are waiting on them to surprise us so that we can in turn surprise them. Might I suggest that one of us hides out upstream as a forward scout and when we know they're coming he can come back and warn the rest of us and join the camp.

I'm happy to be that man sherriff

Clancy nods his agreement Ok, the rest of you go back down river about half a mile. Tether your horses, get something to eat and and some rest, no fire. Take up your positions around the camp an hour after sundown.

Anyone got any questions?

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:25 pm
by ghill
Strachan waits for the the Sheriff, then making sure James is with him goes over to the Sheriff. Excuse me sheriff but that wasn't what I proposed at all. In the dark a man wont know if he's shooting at a man, or a pile of stones under the blanket, the only reason for James or anyone else to stay in camp after dark for that matter, is to keep the camp fire burning, so they think we're still in place. Once the shooting starts no man in his right mind is going to come across that open ground especially if its lit by a fire, not unless he thinks every man there is dead. We need to hit them as they climb to the camp before they start shooting at us. Or we waite until they think they've killed every man in the camp and come to clean up. I'm not for having a fair fight sheriff, I'm not for having a complicated plan, we start shooting when you start shooting and we stop shooting when they're all dead, or in no mood to keep shooting back or you shout loud enough and make us. Anything else more complicated and we're more than likely to shoot one another in the dark.

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:46 pm
by Tabs

"Yes, sir," says Harriet. She hangs back, as instructed, gathering the reins and looping them round a log or branch.

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"You've got that right about night fighting, John," says James. "That's how Stonewall Jackson was killed at Chancellorsville. Not only was the battlefield a confusing mess of wilderness, but it was far worse in the dark. General Jackson was returning at night, but the soldiers on picket duty didn't know it was him and opened fire, thinking it was the Yankees. He was badly wounded and lost his left arm. General Lee remarked that Jackson may have lost his left arm, but he had lost his right. Jackson soon died of his wound. If he'd lived to be at Gettysburg, it all might have turned out differently."

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:41 pm
by Papa Gateau
Clancy turns to the two men I thank you for your concerns and have no intention for any of us, the bait, to be in the camp when theycome.

When Mr Courtwright signals us that they are coming we can move back out to the fringes, leaving our bedrolls as decoys.

Though if you have a different idea I'm happy to hear it.

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:05 pm
by ghill
Then if its OK with you Sheriff I'm going to go with Mr Courtwright, two eyes being better than one, how are we to signal their arrival?
GM/Mr Handy,Just to be clear as I think a lot gets lost between the lines when we're not around a table. What the sheriff just said to [b]Strachan[/b] and [b]James[/b] the second time isn't what he said the first time around is it. Do Strachan or James get the impression he's just changed the plan after they spoke.

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:17 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC,Some of it gets lost in translation :) You think the plan was slightly amended by having a forward scout report the approach of the men - enabling you all to clear the camp before they turn up, as opposed to when they turn up.
If you want go with Mr Courtwight that's fine by me. Give us as much advance warning as you can. I'm expecting you both to get back to camp and warn us, so you can take up your positions. We don't want to be shootin' each other in the dark

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:58 pm
by ghill
Strachan unwraps his shotgun and grabs a pocket full of shells then starts to make his way down to where Courtwight has set himself up for the night*. "Be safe James, you to Miss Tubman"

*making sure his route is concealed from view from the lookout point across the river.

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, John," says James. "You take care of yourself too."

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:11 pm
by Papa Gateau
Strachan and Courtwright take up their position upriver whilst the rest of you follow the plan, 3 of the party staying with Clancy and Murdoch, lighting a fire, making up their bed-rolls and eating a meal of beans and jerky.

The rest of you stay back with the Miss Tubman and the horses.

Once darkness falls, Clancy heads back and calls you up to take position around the clearing.

Murdoch takes up his position on the fallen trunk about 5 yards from the camp fire, the bedrolls are arranged a similar distance apart and should like sleeping men from a distance.
Rolls,[b]Strachan[/b] 1 hide, 1 listen, 1 spot hidden [b]Murdoch[/b] 1 listen, 1 spot hidden Others - 1 hide

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:08 am
by ghill
Strachan squats with his back against a rock for a man whose love of the outdoors ends with chasing foxes from horseback his efforts at concealing himself aren't bad* Somewhere out to their front he just makes out the sound of something which really doesn't sound right**. Then he sees something***
OOC:   *Hide missed by 7% which depending on how you're working things in the dark.
** 40% Listen Make it by 1%
*** 40% Spot H, make it 29%  

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:31 pm
by Papa Gateau
Strachan,Over the gurgling of the river you hear the soft whinny of a horse and a catch a glint of moonlight off metal, probably a buckle on a saddle or bridle coming from upriver along your side of the bank. It's difficult to make out how many men or mounts there are.
Courtwright turns to Strachan and says in a hissed whisper That looks like our quarry, let's get back, warn the others and prime our trap

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:54 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Considering the roll. Does Strachan make a anything out in the darkness. I don't really want to move if it's a single scout, he's far more likely to see or hear us if we do.  
Hold on man. Strachan says as quietly as possible. We don't want to move to early. Not until we know who it is. If it's a scout, we risk missing vital information about our opponents.

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:04 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   There's definitely more than one man - you try and count the moon shadows reflected in the river but it's difficult with the fast flowing water, it could be as few as 5 or as many as 10 mounts.

If you wait for a more accurate count it will be more difficult to return to the clearing unseen.  

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:33 pm
by ghill
OK Courtright you head back now I'll follow shortly says Strachan. We need to keep an idea about what they're up-to.

Strachan moves off shortly after the Pinkerton man. He moves slowly making sure he can make out the others in the darkness ideally by sound. He never lets them get any closer than they are now.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I take it that, since I failed my rolls, I don't notice any of this.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:56 am
by Papa Gateau
Murdoch,From your position at the campfire, you can neither see nor hear anything from upriver by your scouts. After a few minutes, you hear a low whistle and [b]Courtwright[/b] quickly moves into the light of the campfire and passes you [color=#800000]They're on their way, reckon there's maybe ten of them, mounted. Get behind that log of yours[/color] He then moves back, to pass the message to the others and take up his position.
Strachan,[b]Courtwright[/b] heads towards the campfire, crouched low and moving carefully. As you retreat, keeping a careful distance between yourself and the bandits, you can just make out in the moonlit darkness as they dismount and approach the bend before your campsite on foot. You are at the bend, midway beteen the campfire and the bandits
Rest,You wait, nervously for the scouts to return. After a while you see [b]Courtwright[/b] return, quickly moving to [b]Murdoch[/b] before moving back to the Sherriff, a whispered message gets passed along, they're coming, maybe ten of them, mounted last time he saw them.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:10 pm
by Tabs

Harriet nods, she doesn't trust her voice in case it quavers. Taking the old bird-scarer shotgun from her mule's pack and a handful of shells, she looks for a suitable place to hide.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:58 pm
by ghill
As soon as Strachan is sure the men are heading in the direction of the camp he'll move to break away. Heading around the camp rather than through it. He makes sure James and the Marshall can see him he'll indicate the men are only a short distance away.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:11 pm
by Priest
Farnsworthy smiles, spits a stream of dark brown tobacco juice into the shadows, and climbs the rocks a piece to find a good ambush position. Just like the good old days

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy

James positions himself behind the cover and concealment of the log he has prepared, readying his Winchester for when the inevitable shooting starts.

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:42 am
by ghill
OOC:   if I remember the plan correctly James and Clancy are by the fire so the camp looks occupied and guarded. Their bedrolls covering shell scrapes and I assume the logs they are sitting can also be used to provide some cover when the shooting starts. The rest of us should be arraigned around the far side of the clearing so we can shoot across with little risk of hitting the two men in the clearing or just as importantly the horses. Strachan will position himself on the end of the firing line - nearest the approaching desperado's he doesn't want them flanking him in the dark.  
Finding cover by a large Ash tree, Strachan places the shotgun at his feet, then kneels gently on the stock so he wont lose it in the dark. He then takes out one of his large revolvers and cocks it ready to fire, gently blowing any dust away from the firing cap.Then resting the handgun on his knee he settles down to wait.

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:08 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   Yes you are correct - Murdoch and the sheriff were visible so that the camp looked occupied in case you were being observed setting up etc.

There are 4 bedrolls arrayed around the fire to look like sleeping bodies.

Murdoch has now rolled off the log he was sitting on and is lying behind it.

The sheriff is hunkered down by a rock, mostly hidden by the shadows that the fire is casting.

Everyone else is hidden behind trees or rocks in a shallow arc - to which Strachan has added himself at the end - he is nearest to the oncoming bandits.

Murdoch and the sheriff are slightly forwards of the rest of the posse but are not likely to be caught in friendly cross-fire.

The majority of the mounts are tethered about 30 yards downstream but there are two tethered closer to the camp fire to keep up the appearance.  
You all wait to spring your counter ambush, straining to see movement or hear sounds in the dark. Your trigger finger rests on the guard of your weapon.

As you wait in anticipation, a cloud covers the moon making the night darker and you hear the soft hoot of an owl.

Suddenly there is a flash of gunfire to your left quickly followed by another 8 or 9 spread out in front of you.

Bullets fly!

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Trusting his companions to do their part, James leans his rifle across the top of the log, using the muzzle flashes of the enemy's weapons to guide his shot as they foolishly reveal their positions. His bullet flies with uncanny accuracy at one of them, taking the man's head clean off! Then he ducks down behind the log to avoid return fire.
OOC,Woohoo! 8-) An impale with a very high damage roll!

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:01 pm
by Priest
Farnsworthy
The sudden eruption of gunfire wipes the smile from Ethan's lips, Damn this is going bad real fast. He gently lets the hammer down on his pistol. No point in giving away my position yet shootin blind in the dark.

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:21 pm
by Tabs

The shooting starts. Poor Harriet flinches with each bang. She prays fervently that she were anywhere else, and clutches the shotgun to herself, as if she were hugging a straw dolly. "Our Father who art in heaven . . ."

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:34 pm
by ghill
Strachan curses silently to himself he had hoped the bandits would feel confident enough to enter the clearing as they started firing. Shooting across the clearing was going to be a recipe for a bloodbath on both sides. Strachan held his fire hoping everyone else would do likewise and James would play dead, although he knew the confederate man to be brave to the point of foolishness. Strachan holstered his pistol, tonight wasn't a night for precision gun play. He picked up the shotgun and cocked both hammers. No, he thought tonight was turning into the children's game 'Murder in the Dark'.
OOC:   Mr Handy, Sorry to rain on your parade, but its only a Special for an unmodified shot. Sadly, shooting by starlight reduces firearms skill rolls to 1/5, making all shots essentially
“Unaimed Shots” (Call of Cthulhu, p. 63). So still a hit, but nothing special. You've got to get up nice and personal..or have a scatter gun.  

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:12 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I hadn't thought of that, but at least I still hit and do 12 damage.

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:32 pm
by Papa Gateau
The initial volley of gunfire kicks up stones and dirt around the decoy bedrolls, several bullets finding their mark that would almost certainly have meant the death of whoever had been sleeping there. Other bullets ricochet into the night.

Murdoch taking careful aim at a barrel-flash squeezes of a round and is rewarded with a scream. He is supported by two or three more shots fired from his left.

The bullets keep coming and start to concentrate on the muzzle flashes from your side. Murdoch feels and hears the rounds thudding into the tree trunk that he's hunkering down behind.
OOC:   Statements please. Bullets are flying mainly at Murdoch's log and also about 10 yards to his left where the other shots came from.

Can everyone give me (100 - LUCK)/2 roll - this is the chance that you catch a ricochet or stray bullet.

Turn order is

Farnsworthy
Strachan, Harriet, Mario
Murdoch

Farnsworthy and Strachan can give me spot hiddens to count the number of opposition guns as they basically observed the initial round  

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:09 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   Ricochet? Luck 75/2 [dice]0[/dice]  
Little Harriet huddles tightly and scrunches her eyes shut.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:02 am
by ghill
A stray round plucks at Strachan's sleeve, but Strachan ignores it. It was always considered poor form in the regiment to pay much notice to close shaves and so Strachan concentrates on counting guns, until he's reasonably sure he has their measure. The he slowly starts making his way around the clearing.

OOC:   Did you mean luck/2 rather than (100-luck)/2 which would mean luckier people would be more likely to be hit :)  
OOC:   Strachan doesn't plan on moving around the outside of the clearing, rather he'll head back in the direction he's just come from until he's parallel with the bandits firing line then he'll start to move towards them, no point in walking in front of everyone else's guns and getting shot in the dark.  

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

Luck is with James, as he ducks back down before the bandits can react and fire at him. He has achieved what he wanted to do, shooting one of them and drawing the majority of their fire so that the rest of the group can take them by surprise. Now that most of them are shooting at his log, he stays behind cover for now rather than risk exposing himself again until something else draws their attention, but he is ready to shoot at any targets of opportunity that present themselves or to avoid incoming fire if he is outflanked. He draws his cavalry saber from his scabbard and rests it at his side, ready to snatch it up if any of them rushes his position.
OOC,We want to roll high on that roll. Getting the number or lower means that we get hit, which is why Luck is subtracted from 100.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:36 am
by Tabs
Bugger. Does Harriet get hit? **Moan,mumble, mumble**--the roll feels a bit arse-backward, I mean shouldn't it be a Luck roll with a penalty, like -20% ? Oh, I get it now, it's a bad luck roll. Harriet 100 - 75 / 2 = 12% and I rolled 24, so she's not hit by a ricochet.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:53 am
by Papa Gateau
Ricochets & Strays,The formula (100-LUCK)/2 should benefit the lucky Luck 80 => 10% chance of a stray/ricochet Luck 60 => 20% chance of a stray/ricochet If you 'make' the roll it does not mean that you have been hit - just that a bullet is flying in your direction. I will then roll a to hit with situational modifiers - Murdoch is tucked down behind the tree trunk, just about all of his body is concealed so I will apply a large negative modifier. If one of you were running across the clearing, through the gunfire, then I would add a positive modifier.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:59 am
by Tabs
Yes,I get it now! I edited my previous comment, but you were online and may have missed it. :)

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:19 pm
by Papa Gateau
Strachan,1 point damage - as the bullets fly you feel a ricochet fly into your arm, most of it's energy spent it barely tears through your clothing. It smarts and will leave a beauty of bruise but you've suffered worse. As you watch, you count approximately ten muzzle flashes.
Murdoch,You lay hunkered down behind your tree trunk, bullets thud into it and splinters fly but other than a few stings from exploding tree bark you remain unscathed. To your right you can the Sheriff Clancy ducked down behind his cover, he nods at you checking your ok.
Harriet,You squat down behind the large rock you have chosen as cover, clasping your shot gun close to your body, thinking that this is no place for woman. As you silently call upon the good lord to protect you, you are showered in fragments of stone as a bullet smashes into the rock a few inches from your head.
The gunfire continues a minute or so. The fire concentrating on the tree trunk that Murdoch is hiding behind and an area to his left. You hear a shout or cry of pain come from your line.

Then it stops, the smell of gunsmoke drifts across the clearing mixing with the smoke of the fire.

A voice calls out across the clearing You there! Behind the log! Show yerself! All yer friends are dead already, there ain't nowhere fer yer to go. Give yerself up an' I swear you won't come to no harm!

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:08 pm
by Priest
Luck and spot hidden,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/331562]Not being hit by a stray shot[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]17[/b] Don't understand this formula but it a 17. [url=http://orokos.com/roll/331565]Sot Hidden - 25%[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]98[/b] Nope didn' count em

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:27 pm
by ghill
  Clearly with only James returning fire it looked as though the bandits believed they'd killed everyone.  
thought Strachan
OOC:   Where is Strachan in relation to the 'voice' at this point? When the shooting started he started moving so I'm expecting the voice to be somewhere to his immediate left.  

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:50 am
by Mr. Handy

James nods back to the sheriff. He doesn't believe that the bandits have actually killed everyone any more than he would believe they'd spare his life if he surrendered. For all they know, they killed him with their volley, so he simply plays dead. He remains lying behind the log, not making a sound. In his right hand he clutches his saber, and in his left he grips his revolver. If one of them tries to come around the log to see if he's still alive, he'll be in for a nasty surprise.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:42 pm
by Priest
At the voice Ethan smiles, old trick, he thinks, everyone concentrates on where the voice is coming from allowing the others a chance to creep closer to the campfire from another direction.

With that in mind he watches for movement to the opposite side of the camp.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:55 pm
by Tabs

Harriet is showered with crumbs of stone from where a ricochet struck the boulder she is hiding behind. The bullet was only inches from her face. When she hears,
Give yerself up an' I swear you won't come to no harm!
she feels so light headed that it's all she can do not to run or plead for mercy, even though she realises they could well be snake words.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:03 pm
by Papa Gateau
Strachan,As you creep forwards, the voice that calls out comes from your left, judging by the gun flashes you observed you estimate that you are probably in-line with the gun men. Can I have a sneak roll - it's only a problem on a fumble.
Farnsworthy,Spot hidden please.
As you wait, making no moves or sounds, the voice calls out again This is yer last chance mister. If'n we gotta come an' get yer, it ain't goin' to go easy on yer. All yer friends is dead, they be talkin' with the maker right about now. Show yerself and I swear now, on my word as a god fearin' man, yer won't come to no harm

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:21 pm
by Priest
Farnsworthy:
Straining his eyes through the darkness and ears pricked for sounds of movement, Ethan alerts himself. But whether his eyes are tired, dusty, or just old he sees nothing.
Spot Hidden,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/331792]Spot Hidden - 25%[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]79[/b]

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

If they were God-fearing men, thinks James, they wouldn't have ambushed us. He remains still and quiet, watching and listening for their approach. There wasn't enough screaming to account for everyone dying, and besides, the sheriff is still here. Maybe the others will be able to help once they show themselves and enter the campsite. I may die here, but at least I'll take some of them with me.

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:42 am
by ghill
Strachan

Strachan spends a moment listening to the bandits leaders speech, then confident he's at one end of their firing line he turns and starts moving towards them. He's no frontiersman but he's rather proud of how stealthy he is

Strachan is moving slowly, the colonel always said it was poor form to interrupt your enemy when he was making a mistake, and Strachan thinks the bandits or at least some of them are about to enter the clearing to try and finish James off.
OOC:   While he was listening did Strachan catch any hint of where the bandit's horses are?  

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:44 pm
by Papa Gateau
Strachan,You heard a snicker from a horse/horses ahead of you, before turned towards the bandits but you can't tell how far away they are.
As you watch the campsite from your concealed positions, you see four figures slowly advance into the light being cast by the fire - 2 carry pistols and 2 carry rifles. They crouch low, moving as quietly as they can as they approach the tree trunk behind which lies Murdoch.

They are spread out, approx 4 or 5 yards between each man.

As they move closer, one of them looks down at a decoy bedroll, he then quickly glances at the others before shouting It's a trap! Get outta here! he turns and starts to run from the direction he came.

The others look at hims startled and then turn to follow him.
OOC:   Statements please  

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:49 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Strachan will wait for the shooting to start and then make in the direction of the horses. He wont bother being overly quiet as he figures the gunfire will hide any noise he makes but he keeps his head up and looking for movement.  

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'll put my pistol in my holster,my saber in my scabbard, and get my rifle ready, staying behind cover. Then I'll take a shot at one of the fleeing bandits, preferably one with a rifle.

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:12 am
by Tabs
Harriet reflects on her years of church schooling for a suitable prayer, something about smiting the wicked and preserving justice.

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:51 pm
by Papa Gateau
As the bandits turn and run you hear the sheriff shout Take 'em down men!

Gunfire erupts from your side of the campsite and is quickly returned from the otherside.
OOC,Give me the appropriate weapon rolls and tell me a target - either one of the fleeing bandits or at the muzzle flashes of those returning fire.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy

James leans his rifle atop the log again and shoots at one of the bandits returning fire, but his shot goes wide in the darkness.
OOC,Rifle roll (70% skill) shooting at a bandit returning fire: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:12 pm
by Papa Gateau
Bullets fly in both directions, richochets whizz by, lumps of lead embed themselves in trees and spark of the hard granite rocks.

Two of the fleeing bandits spin and fall to the ground, dark stains blossoming on their backs in the moonlight.

You hear screams and shouts of pain come from both sides.
Strachan,As your location was already known a lot of returning gunfire was initially aimed at your log as you raised your head to return to fire. 3 shots have potentially hit have you, but you are partially protected by the tree. Give me 3 d100 for hit locations (using the location table on p13 of the G,B&UI rules). Basically anything above 68 has hit you whilst the others bury themselves in the tree trunk in front of you
Murdoch,as the gunfire erupts you move quickly towards where you think the horses are. Trying to avoid the crossfire and line of gunfire. Give me 2 Unlucky rolls (100-LUCK)/2 for ricochets/strays
Harriet,You stay ducked behind your cover, fervently praying to the good lord to protect. Out of the corner of your eye, you see one of your posse fall to the floor, his hands fly to his face as he cries out.

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:16 pm
by Tabs
Someone--one of the Sheriff's posse--falls to the ground clutching his face.

"Oh Lord have mercy!" groans Harriet. Holding the old shotgun before her like a rattle snake held by its tail, she rushes over to the fallen man: "Sir! Sir!" she hisses, expecting a bullet in the back at any moment.

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:40 pm
by ghill
For a moment Strachan wonders what life would be like for James at the moment, then brushing the thoughts aside he continues to creep forward.
OOC:   [dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]

One bad, one good.

It's Strachan creeping around not Murdoch btw.  

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:56 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yes, I was the one behind the log. Shouldn't they actually have to roll to hit as well, and shouldn't there be penalties for the darkness? How much gunfire is there, anyhow, that they get all of these shots in the time it takes me to fire once? I thought only four of them were returning fire. I don't have time tonight to find the rules and look up the table, so I'll have to do that tomorrow night; I barely had time to post! Rolls to see if I'm hit: [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice] EDIT: Hit location: [dice]3[/dice] According to that roll, somehow I get shot in the gut even though my belly is behind the log.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:40 pm
by Papa Gateau
Murdoch,Bullets thud into the tree trunk one of which sends splinters flying up towards your face. You duck out of they way instinctively and silently thank your lucky stars.
Strachan,You hear and almost feel a stray ricochet whiz past your ear but the sound of gunfire is behind you know as you are beyond the line of the bandits, you think you should soon be upon their mounts.
Harriet,As you tend to the fallen man you see it is the elder of the two McGee brothers, Alan. His lower jaw is smashed and blood gushes from the gaping wound. You know there is little you can do but comfort him in his dying moments
All,You've seen at least two of their men go down, you think leaving eight to deal with, 2 of which are still running back to the cover of their line. Statements and dice rolls please.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:08 pm
by Tabs
"Oh Mr. McGee," says Harriet, comforting the mortally wounded brother, Alan, is it? She cradles his head despite the man's bloody, shot-away jaw.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Now that he has drawn the bandits' fire again, Murdoch stays completely behind the log, relying on the others to bring them down while they're distracted. Trying to poke his head up again would result in it getting blown to bits. He had been lucky enough to survive the last volley.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:20 pm
by ghill
Strachan stops listens for voices or startled horses over the gunfire, he then moves forward again before stopping and repeating the process, he figures any moment now he's going to stumble of the horses and whoever is with them.

Strachan cocks both hammers on his shotgun. Then repeats the process with his pistol. Pistol in hand he advances again. "Its not like its cricket" he thinks, determined to shoot the man as close a range as possible and in the back if necessary.

Listen [dice]0[/dice] Fail
Spot Hidden [dice]1[/dice] Fail
Pistol [dice]2[/dice] Success