IC - 1. Gainful Employment

The year is 1867, the war that pitted brother against brother is over and some of the wounds are beginning to heal; the railroads are racing across the continent in a rush to connect the 2 oceans. The land is still untamed and the natives still a threat. Law is coming but the lawless roam free.

A chance find by our posse on the trail of train robbers leads to a terrifying adventure of horror that spans time and space.

Moderator: Papa Gateau

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC - 1. Gainful Employment

Post by Mr. Handy »

James looks around very alertly, though he cannot hear anything of interest, nor can he read any tracks that he finds.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll 1 (55% skill): [dice]0[/dice] Spot Hidden roll 2 (55% skill): [dice]1[/dice] Listen roll 1 (55% skill): [dice]2[/dice] Listen roll 2 (55% skill): [dice]3[/dice] Track roll (10% base skill): [dice]4[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Strachan,You follow the river as it curves to the right. It flows fairly straight for a couple of miles or so before bending back to the left. You are about halfway to the next bend in the river when you see a flash of light about 3/4 of the way up the valley wall, on the opposite side of the river to you. You're not 100% sure of what it is but experience and best guess you'd say it was light reflecting off a spyglass.
Murdoch,You follow the river up to the first bend and don't notice anything to worry you. You can see [b]Strachan[/b] on the opposite side of the river. You continue along the river as it curves to the right. It flows fairly straight for a couple of miles or so before bending back to the left. You are about halfway to the next bend in the river when you see a flash of light about 3/4 of the way up the valley wall, on the same side of the river to you. You focus your attention on that point and think you can make out some more flashes - not as bright and direct as the first one. If you were a betting man you'd put your money on that being a signal of some kind. ooc - critical success on Spot Hidden
Others,The scouts have been gone maybe an hour or more and you haven't heard or seen anything to worry you. The sun is warm and the river bubbles along adding an air of tranquility to the background sounds of birdsong. Your mounts, glad for the rest munch lazily on the low foliage and seem totally relaxed and at ease.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

Strachan moves so as to stand with a tree between himself and anyone further down the valley. He then picks up a stone and tosses it across the stream to attract Murdoch's attention

James, did you see that, your side about half to three quarters of the way up?
Keeper,One assumes we're not yet in effective rifle range at this point?
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Strachan,you're well out of range - probably at least a mile away

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You mean those flashes of light, John?" says James. "Yeah, someone up there is signalling. We need to warn the others and prepare our defenses. I think the killers are about to spring their ambush."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

Harriet takes the opportunity to refill her canteen at the river; she holds its mouth below the water--it gently "glugs." The warm sun plays on her cheeks, "What a lovely place," she thinks.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Strachan shakes his head "They're to far away to be an immediate threat, even with one of those big buffalo rifles, you American's are so fond of" he turns to O'Mahoney. Mr O'Mahoney would you mind going back to Sheriff Murdoch and telling him that someone is hidden half way up the canyon sides on the far side of the river, they're not an immediate threat but we need to decide whether to hurry after them, so we can try and stop them escaping, or whether we want to try and lure them down so we can ambush them. Can you also tell him I would suggest we visibly set up camp then wait for darkness to fall before setting up our own ambush or moving out to attack them at their camp. Then turning back to James. James would you and Mr Oakley mind moving up slope a bit and make sure no one can slip around behind us on your side of the river, while the sheriff decides what he wants to do.
Clearings?,Can Strachan see a clearing or small meadow like area where the posse might reasonably and visibly set up camp nearby. If there is Strachan will suggest that the Sheriff meets him in the trees (and out of site) nearby.
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

O'Mahoney turns to Strachan, throws a mock salute whilst saying Sure thing cap'n. He takes his mount, saddles up and heads back at a gentle canter
Clearings,there are several clearings on either side of the river that would suit your purpose
O'Mahoney rides back to the main posse, dismounts and talks with Clancy. After a minute or two Clancy calls across to everyone Mount up! Our quarry is a little further up the gorge. According to Mr O'Mahoney here our scouts were observed and a signal sent - so they will be expecting us.

We're going to ride up to the others, take a look at the lay of the land and decide our course of action after that.

Keep your rifles ready and your eyes sharp!

He waits a moment or two for you to mount your steeds before heading out at a brisk trot.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We're on it, John," says James. He leads Oakley up the slope, keeping watch on their surroundings.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Farnsworthy:
Ethan nods at Clancy then spits a stream of brown tobacco juice into a nearby bush. Checking the pistols load once more he replaces the Coltl in its holster, before climbing into the saddle of his mount. Turning the horse to the rear he moves into a position that will be near the back of any column, ifn we're riding into a trap I sure don't have to be first in it, let the lawdog go first that's his job.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Harriet fumbles a few shotgun shells into her pocket, "They scare crows mighty fine," she thinks, so she hopes they will have the same effect on any of the bad men.
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by NFVD »

Mario "El Monje" Malhecho

The Mexican rides on with the rest of the group. Forewarned that there will likely be trouble and their arrival won't be surprising their quarry he is keeping his rifle handy by his side.
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

The posse rides up and O'Mahoney leads you to where Strachan and Murdoch wait on either side of the river.

He calls the scouts in, get's their first hand report and listens as Strachan outlines his idea for making camp and preparing a counter ambush.

Ok, Mr Strachan, I think that could probably work. I want to know what's up around that next bend.

I want two men to scout on foot, leave your horses here with the rest of us. Head up to the next bend and see what's around there. I want you all cheyenne like. See if you can see how their man got up the gorge to watch the approach - I don't want us fighting an enemy who has the high ground.

I want another two men to scout out a suitable clearing that we can set up camp in but will also make a good ambush point. Again go on foot.

Who's up for that?

ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Well if no one else volunteers I'll go sheriff, but I'm more used to fighting from the back of my horse than on foot. says Strachan, all the while trying to keen an eye out for more flashes of light on the valleys far slope,
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm not very sneaky, but I'll scout ahead," says James. "In the American cavalry, we're used to fighting on foot. We usually only fight from horseback during a charge." He recalls Pickett's Charge, where he took a Minie ball to the shoulder. The wound had hurt like hell, but it had ended up saving his life. "We use our horses to get where we're going, then dismount."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"You be careful, Mr. Murdoch, and you too, Mr. Strachen, says Harriet, curious and a little concerned about James' faraway stare.
Last edited by Tabs on Sun May 10, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Strachan

Well as no other volunteers seem to be forthcoming I suppose James and I should see if we can find that chap on the high ground. Shall we get about it James?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

James nods. "Let's get going, John," he says, heading off on foot with his old friend, rifle at the ready. "We'll be careful, Miss Tubman. Please look after our horses."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

As the two of you are about head off, Doug McGee speaks out

Me and Alan will scout up around the bend. Why don't you two look out the clearing for the ambush, bein' soldiers you more'n likely going to choose a better ambush site than me'n Alan would he looks across at his older brother, raising an eyebrow in askance. His brother returns a slight nod and then turns to Clancy

That alright with you Sherrif?

Clancy eyes up the brothers, you can see him weighing up the decision, two war veterans or two young, keen but inexperineced boys.

Ok, you boys scout up around the bend, they know we're here already but don't take no stupid chances, just report back what we need to know. Mr. Strachan, Mr. Murdoch find us that ambush site

The young men grab their rifles from their mounts and start to walk along the river's bank towards the bend.

ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Strachan just shrugs and turns to move slowly down the trail, he's looking for a clearing which would be an obvious camp site for the night, will be visible so their watcher will see them making camp, but far enough away he wont be able to make out any detail once night falls and they sneak away from the camp. Ideally, there will be a way to sneak up unseen on the camp thus providing an obvious place for the posse to mount their ambush on.
OOC:   There isn't a Military Science skill so is there something else you'd like us to roll?  

Return to “The Train to Hell - A Grim Prairie Tale”