IC - 1. Gainful Employment

The year is 1867, the war that pitted brother against brother is over and some of the wounds are beginning to heal; the railroads are racing across the continent in a rush to connect the 2 oceans. The land is still untamed and the natives still a threat. Law is coming but the lawless roam free.

A chance find by our posse on the trail of train robbers leads to a terrifying adventure of horror that spans time and space.

Moderator: Papa Gateau

NFVD
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Re: IC - 1. Gainful Employment

Post by NFVD »

Mario "El Monje" Malhecho

In answer to Strachan's question Mario points towards the distance.

"Someone is comin'." he says, "We been followed."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

Harriet positions Pepe, her mule, so that she is In the centre of the posse.
Last edited by Tabs on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

James drops back to join the others. "I see him too," he says. "He's a few miles back, too far to tell who he is or what he wants. I think we should find an advantageous position and wait for him to catch up to us. If he's hostile, we can get the drop on him. If he's not, we can have a talk."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Clancy nods in agreement We'll wait for him, see what he's got to say fer himself.

The rest will do the horses good too.

You wait and watch as the lone horseman covers the ground between you. He's pushing his horse hard and rides and in a direct line, following your tracks. When he gets to about half a mile away he slows to a canter and then to a trot before stopping about 30 yards away.

You can tell that his horse is blown and is well lathered, he raises his arms in front of his chest and calls out Sherrif Clancy? My name is Gus Courtwright I'm an employee of the Pinkerton Detective Agency, I'm mean no harm, may I approach?

Clancy spits and then nods Keep your'e hands away from your irons he calls and then in a lower voice that won't carry to the Pinkerton man I ain't got much time for Pinkerton men, I don't rightly trust them, be on your guard.

The man approaches, walking his horse slowly and holding his reins high and keeping his hands visible.

State your business Mr. Courtwright Clancy says in a flat tone.

I'm on agency business, Sherrif. One of the men killed on the train was a Pinkertons man, his name was Jeff Hand, he was my partner. The men that killed him, the men you're hunting, stole items that belong to the agency from him, in particular a letter and some papers. I need to recover those papers. the man speaks with an east coast accent

I've ridden hard to catch up with you all. Our aims align sir, let me ride with you and I'll lend you my gun arm if you need it. All I ask is the return of the papers that were taken from my partner and that rightfully belong to the Pinkerton Agency.

Clancy eyes the man, weighing him up You can ride with us, an extra gun is always useful. a long pause, then Whatever we recover, we will return to Mr. Derry as was his order. He'll see to it that everyone get's back what's rightfully theirs

It looks as though Courtwright is about challenge Clancy then he lets out a sigh All right Sherrif, I agree.

Clancy nods again Alright, we'll rest here awhile. That horse is blown and needs a rest. Mr. Murdoch, when that watch of yours tells a half hour has passed we mount up again.

Make your introductions.
he dismounts and takes his water canteen from his saddle bag.
All,Can I have an Insight roll and a straight d100 roll from each of you.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Harriet climbs down off of her mule, and kneels down in Pepe's shadow taking sips from her canteen.
Rolls,Insight 30% [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

James takes out his pocketwatch and checks the time. The Pinkerton man has a perfect poker face, and James is glad he isn't playing cards with him. He isn't too fond of the Pinkertons either, as they helped the Union during the war, so he takes the advice of the sheriff to heart easily. Still, he tries not to let his suspicions show. "James Murdoch," he says to Gus Courtwright, extending his hand for a shake, uncertain of what lies ahead.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by NFVD »

Mario "El Monje" Malhecho

Mario doesn't like having a detective around. His lifepath left him with little affinity for L&O types, despite him currently being working for thr "other side". Still, he doesn't manifest any ill-will towards the new arrival. Mario simply observes the man as he joins them.

Spoiler:
Insight (30%) roll: 1d100=27

Staright 1d100 roll: 1d100=17
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by ghill »

Strachan

With half an hour to rest Strachan dismounts and rubs his horse down and checks it. All the time watching the new comer out of the corner of his eyes.
Keeper,Insight 10%: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4814281/]1d100=8[/url] Woot!!!! d100 roll: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4814363/]1d100=97[/url] That can't be good?!
I don't want to appear rude, Mr Courtwright, but do you actually have any bonfides which prove matters are as you say and you are acting for and on behalf of the Pinkerton Agency?
OOC:   If the man actually presented papers when he arrived please ignore.  
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Courtright moves around the group quickly, making his introductions.

When he reaches Strachan he produces a silver badge and says Why yes, I do sir. Here is my badge. he smiles and moves on. Once the introductions are done he moves over to his horse and begins to rub it down.
Strachan,As Courtright makes his introduction you observe how the rest of posse react to him: Clancy - doesn't really want the man along but is happy for the extra gun McGill brothers - seem excited to be in the presence of a genuine Pinkertons man Hank James - it's all he can do to bring himself to shake the mans hand. He definitely doesn't want anything to do with the him. Patrick 'Mahoney - seems non-plussed by the man Seth Oakley - seems reticent about the man. Yourself - once you see the badge, you warm to the man and feel glad to have him along
Mario,As Courtright makes his introduction you observe how the rest of posse react to him: Clancy - doesn't really want the man along but is happy for the extra gun McGill brothers - seem excited to be in the presence of a genuine Pinkertons man Hank James - it's all he can do to bring himself to shake the mans hand. He definitely doesn't want anything to do with the him. Patrick 'Mahoney - seems non-plussed by the man Seth Oakley - seems reticent about the man. Yourself - you have a bad feeling about the man, you don't trust him and he makes you feel edgy
Murdoch Harriet & Ethan,Courtright makes his introduction, you feel feel indifferent towards him, you attitude coloured by your previous thoughts on Pinkertons and their men - good or bad - and don't observe any noticeable reaction from the rest of the posse. Harriet, you're just relieved to be out of the saddle for a few minutes

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Priest »

Farnsworthy:

Ethan is fairly ambivelent towards the Pinkerton man, hes ridden with worse and better. He moves his horse alongside the newcomer and gestures to his saddle bag from which his leather bound Bible can be seen, "You a believer son? This land is too full of heathens for my likin'"

He looks to see how the stranger carries his gun, you can tell a lot about a man's nature from his pistol rig.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

James takes out his own canteen, with the letters CSA emblazoned on it, and takes a swig. It's one of his souvenirs from the war.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

" 'CSA,' Mr Murdoch?" enquires Harriet, offering James an oat biscuit.
Last edited by Tabs on Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Miss Tubman," says James, sitting beside her and chewing on the biscuit, continuing to speak when he finishes. "Mmm, that was delicious! Yes, CSA stands for Confederate States of America. I rode with J.E.B. Stuart in the war. I see you have your letters. That's a real good thing. I know plantation owners forbade their slaves from learning to read, in order to keep them in their position. Knowing how to read is vital for being free, and for staying that way. I never had any use for slavery. My family's too poor to have been able to afford to keep slaves even if we'd wanted to. When I fought for the Confederacy, I was fighting for freedom, just like my great-grandparents fought against the British - no offense to Mr. Strachan. The Federals got too big for their britches, just like any government does when it amasses too much power. The federal government has been turning into the very thing it was created to oppose. It was a long time coming, and Lincoln's election was just the last straw. The Confederate States resisted, though I'll admit mostly out of economic self-interest. The South had an economy that depended entirely on slavery, and so it opposed anything that threatened it. But there were some of us who recognized that the Federals don't really stand for freedom. They want to impose something akin to slavery, though by another name, and they mean to impose it on everyone. There's a limit to their reach, though. Out West, a man can still be free. A woman too."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Yes, Mr. Murdoch, I have my letters," says Harriet,"and plenty of scripture 'n' history too." She doesn't comment on his story, not wishing to argue with James about the rights and wrongs of the Confederate States.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Strachan

Strachan smiles as he listens to James try and explain himself to Harriet, displaying not one ounce of embarrassment. Its not the first time he's heard him justify his actions in the war and he's certain it wont be the last, but its certainly the first time he's heard him justify himself to a Negro.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Priest »

Farnsworthy:
Sliding from the saddle, Ethan keeps his face covered as he hears to Murdoch's attempt to justify the war. The 'south' is full of apologists these days, so its an explanation that he has heard so many times before.
"South should've freed the slaves, then fired on Sumpter. But mostly they should've fought the war with the same furosity as Sherman displayed at Atlanta. Too much 'chivalry' and not enough killin"

As he turns he looks at Harriet, "Good to hear sister, you can never have enough scripture. The doings of man are of little import when compared to the plans of the Lord, Amen"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Amen," echoes Harriet, warming to Farnsworthy (slightly).
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

After the brief respite you mount up again and continue to follow the tracks.

You notice that Hank James, who was riding at the head of the posse with Clancy has dropped towards to the rear, always keeping the Pinkerton's man ahead of him. You continue to push your mounts at a respectable pace - following the canter, trot, walk routine.

As nightfall approaches, you stop to make camp.

We've made good ground today Clancy says even with the break to rest Mr Courtwright's horse. I reckon we're no more'n 2, maybe 3, hours behind them.

We'll rest up here and hopefully be on them by sun down tomorrow, they've been mostly walkin' their horses for the last half day, so we may even catch 'em earlier than that.
he turns to Harriet Miss Harriet there'll be no fire tonight, the rest of us will split the watch same as last night, Mr Courtwright, you can stand watch with me and Mr Farnsworthy with that he turns and starts attending his horse.
All,Watch rota is as follows - if you want to swap between yourselves or one of the posse, play it out upto 10pm - assume everyone is awake 10-12 - [b]Mario[/b] & [b]James[/b] 12-2 - McGill brothers 2-4 Hank & [b]John[/b], 4-6 Clancy, [b]Ethan[/b] & Courtwright 6-sun up - Seth & Patrick Spot hidden rolls for your turn on watch

ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Strachan

As they settle for the night John makes sure his horse it fed watered and rubbed down after the hard days ride, taking extra care to make sure there is nothing in the little mare's hooves. He then cleans both the pistols down in turn and checks the shot gun. He then eats his meal pretty much in silence, talking only as much as he needs to in order not to be impolite.

When his watch comes Strachan moves to a spot outside the camps perimeter with his back to something solid so he's not silhouetted, having first made sure Hank knows where he's settled himself. He then checks to make sure that Hank is similarly concealed.
Spot Hidden,Strachan's Spot Hidden: 40% [dice]0[/dice]
Last edited by ghill on Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

James once again positions himself on the high ground when he takes his turn at watch.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (55% skill) on watch: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Train to Hell - A Grim Prairie Tale”