IC - 1. Gainful Employment

The year is 1867, the war that pitted brother against brother is over and some of the wounds are beginning to heal; the railroads are racing across the continent in a rush to connect the 2 oceans. The land is still untamed and the natives still a threat. Law is coming but the lawless roam free.

A chance find by our posse on the trail of train robbers leads to a terrifying adventure of horror that spans time and space.

Moderator: Papa Gateau

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: IC - 1. Gainful Employment

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'll put my pistol in my holster,my saber in my scabbard, and get my rifle ready, staying behind cover. Then I'll take a shot at one of the fleeing bandits, preferably one with a rifle.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tabs »

Harriet reflects on her years of church schooling for a suitable prayer, something about smiting the wicked and preserving justice.
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

As the bandits turn and run you hear the sheriff shout Take 'em down men!

Gunfire erupts from your side of the campsite and is quickly returned from the otherside.
OOC,Give me the appropriate weapon rolls and tell me a target - either one of the fleeing bandits or at the muzzle flashes of those returning fire.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

James leans his rifle atop the log again and shoots at one of the bandits returning fire, but his shot goes wide in the darkness.
OOC,Rifle roll (70% skill) shooting at a bandit returning fire: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Bullets fly in both directions, richochets whizz by, lumps of lead embed themselves in trees and spark of the hard granite rocks.

Two of the fleeing bandits spin and fall to the ground, dark stains blossoming on their backs in the moonlight.

You hear screams and shouts of pain come from both sides.
Strachan,As your location was already known a lot of returning gunfire was initially aimed at your log as you raised your head to return to fire. 3 shots have potentially hit have you, but you are partially protected by the tree. Give me 3 d100 for hit locations (using the location table on p13 of the G,B&UI rules). Basically anything above 68 has hit you whilst the others bury themselves in the tree trunk in front of you
Murdoch,as the gunfire erupts you move quickly towards where you think the horses are. Trying to avoid the crossfire and line of gunfire. Give me 2 Unlucky rolls (100-LUCK)/2 for ricochets/strays
Harriet,You stay ducked behind your cover, fervently praying to the good lord to protect. Out of the corner of your eye, you see one of your posse fall to the floor, his hands fly to his face as he cries out.

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Someone--one of the Sheriff's posse--falls to the ground clutching his face.

"Oh Lord have mercy!" groans Harriet. Holding the old shotgun before her like a rattle snake held by its tail, she rushes over to the fallen man: "Sir! Sir!" she hisses, expecting a bullet in the back at any moment.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

For a moment Strachan wonders what life would be like for James at the moment, then brushing the thoughts aside he continues to creep forward.
OOC:   [dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]

One bad, one good.

It's Strachan creeping around not Murdoch btw.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, I was the one behind the log. Shouldn't they actually have to roll to hit as well, and shouldn't there be penalties for the darkness? How much gunfire is there, anyhow, that they get all of these shots in the time it takes me to fire once? I thought only four of them were returning fire. I don't have time tonight to find the rules and look up the table, so I'll have to do that tomorrow night; I barely had time to post! Rolls to see if I'm hit: [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice] EDIT: Hit location: [dice]3[/dice] According to that roll, somehow I get shot in the gut even though my belly is behind the log.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Murdoch,Bullets thud into the tree trunk one of which sends splinters flying up towards your face. You duck out of they way instinctively and silently thank your lucky stars.
Strachan,You hear and almost feel a stray ricochet whiz past your ear but the sound of gunfire is behind you know as you are beyond the line of the bandits, you think you should soon be upon their mounts.
Harriet,As you tend to the fallen man you see it is the elder of the two McGee brothers, Alan. His lower jaw is smashed and blood gushes from the gaping wound. You know there is little you can do but comfort him in his dying moments
All,You've seen at least two of their men go down, you think leaving eight to deal with, 2 of which are still running back to the cover of their line. Statements and dice rolls please.

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Oh Mr. McGee," says Harriet, comforting the mortally wounded brother, Alan, is it? She cradles his head despite the man's bloody, shot-away jaw.
Last edited by Tabs on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Now that he has drawn the bandits' fire again, Murdoch stays completely behind the log, relying on the others to bring them down while they're distracted. Trying to poke his head up again would result in it getting blown to bits. He had been lucky enough to survive the last volley.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

Strachan stops listens for voices or startled horses over the gunfire, he then moves forward again before stopping and repeating the process, he figures any moment now he's going to stumble of the horses and whoever is with them.

Strachan cocks both hammers on his shotgun. Then repeats the process with his pistol. Pistol in hand he advances again. "Its not like its cricket" he thinks, determined to shoot the man as close a range as possible and in the back if necessary.

Listen [dice]0[/dice] Fail
Spot Hidden [dice]1[/dice] Fail
Pistol [dice]2[/dice] Success

Return to “The Train to Hell - A Grim Prairie Tale”