IC-Ep 4-Briefing(Everyone else)

The UNIT team members are split up and must flee from Dunwich for their lives. Elliot is captured by the Sea Devils and their hybrid offspring, and Brigadier Crichton organizes a raid to deal with the threat in Dunwich.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Re: IC-Ep 4-Briefing(Everyone else)

Post by Vladd »

Peter left the room and headed for the Quartermaster, where he checked his pistol and spare ammo and put in a request for a combat knife, torch, cable ties, notepad and pen, stopping only to buy a box of matches and a packet of cigarettes he returned to his room where he read and relaxed until needed.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Leonek nods appreciatively.

"That is wery brawe, Dr. Kirby. I vish I could come vith you to the mansion, but I fear ve vill hawe our hands full in the calves,..cawes.."

He blushes as he struggles with the word and tries hard to ignore he said calves.

"Tunnels!"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by dustakr »

Newton looks over to where U.N.I.T soldier is pointing, He walks hurriedly.

'Good Day Dr. Kirby, my self Private newton and this is soldier.. is it right time to talk to you?... We need to know more about sea Devils at Dunwich and particularly 1 which got captured.' Newton speak with Dr. Kirby.
Spoiler:
do we need to go back to Quartermaster after this chat for equipment?
TheVaultTech
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 9 years 6 months

Post by TheVaultTech »

Sgt Ecarg heads to the Quartermaster to order a litany of insane equipment be dropped with her team.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't envy you," Dr. Kirby said to Leonek. "You may have the more dangerous assignment, from what I've heard of that Rover creature. You have more courage than I do." She turned when Newton and his new friend approached her. "Well, you've come to the right place. I suppose I'm the resident expert on the Sea Devils. I got a closer look at them than I'd like." She shivered. "The one we captured is under heavy guard and sedation. It already tried to escape once. If you'd like to see it, I could arrange that, but you might not want to. It's quite a disturbing sight."
OOC,Yes, you can go to the Quartermaster when you're done talking to [b]Dr. Kirby[/b]. The best way to handle that would be for you to give me a list of what you want as the others have. We don't need to roleplay your request if you don't want to, and it will move things along to the action faster this way. I'll try to update everyone's character sheets in a few days.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

'We trust you, Dr. Kirby, l just need to confirm few things, like do they exert any common trait, how do they communicate, do they remain in group, or wander alone.
How to deal with sea Devils if we encounter them during mission.' Newton asking questions.
OOC,that's fine with me, I request from my previous post [url]http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/posting.php?mode=quote&f=233&p=168351#pr168303[/url]
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Leonek nods with a faint smile.

"I don't look forvard to it either, but I'we been there, I know the vay. If I don't go more people might die."

He then turns to the two newcomers as well.

"You might vant to look now. They are wery pretty. Ve had a few people black out form shock vhen they saw the things for the first time in the field."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, it would be an excellent idea to get acquainted with their appearance now rather than be surprised when you're in the thick of battle," said Dr. Kirby. "Poor Mrs. Soames fainted at the sight. Come on, we'll walk and talk." She led the group out of the central headquarters building, speaking as she did so. "The only Sea Devil I've seen so far, other than Bertie Lake who is mostly transformed into one, is the one that Raymond MacIntyre captured shortly before he was killed. He shot it in the heart with a pistol. That very well could have killed a man, but these creatures are tougher than your average human. It was rendered unconscious, but it survived. Dr. Shields told me he was nearly drowned by one before that, when it overturned his boat. Sea Devils tend to be bigger and stronger than humans, with some of them eight feet tall or more. They are bipedal humanoids with sharp claws and features that resemble a mix of fish, frogs, and turtles, but they are capable of wielding weapons too. The one we captured was armed with a spear and fishing net, but the Sea Devils involved in UNIT's previous encounter years ago were armed with some sort of energy weapon. The Sea Devils are capable of...interbreeding with humans. Their children appear to be normal humans at first, but after they grow up into adults they begin to gradually change, until eventually they become full Sea Devils themselves. They are amphibious, able to breathe both underwater through gills and on land via their lungs. They communicate by speaking as far as I know. They have most likely learned English since they came to Dunwich, but I suppose they have their own tongue as well. They live in groups, but they do go off on their own. The one we have locked up was by itself. We're lucky that was the case.

"How to deal with them? Well, the Brigadier said to treat them as hostile and shoot them on sight. Bullets still hurt them, it just might take more of them. It might be possible to reason with them, I suppose, but I think we're past that now."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

'Sure, Dr. Kirby, Let me know, when can you arrange same..', Newton didn't hesitate to ask.

Newton then confirming again with U.N.I.T soldier, '.. Well soldier..., you can follow to watch the captured creature or I will provide the details after we meet at Inn...'
OOC,do Dr. Kirby holds any rank, so that we can follow her lead.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We can go right now if you like," said Dr. Kirby.

"Uh...if it's all the same, I'd rather not have a butcher's," said the soldier with Newton. "You can tell me about it later."

"I don't think you saw it before, Private Novak. Would you like to come too?"
OOC,[b]Dr. Kirby[/b] is a civilian, though she is an important one as the Scientific Advisor. You don't have to go with her, but you can if you want.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

Newton didn't say anything.. Just nodded to U.N.I.T soldier.

'Well, Dr. Kirby, hope you will take care of sea devil if it wakes up...I am ready'. Newton was little hesitant this time talking. 'Let's go'
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Leonek nods.

"I hawe seen a few already, but I vill come along just the same. It may be comforting to see one up in chains for a change."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, it's strapped down with steel straps," said Dr. Kirby. "Chains might aggravate its injuries. It broke its straps before, but it's also sedated and under guard now. This way." She led Leonek and Newton to the containment building, where the guards waved them inside, and to the medical lab. The Sea Devil lay on an oversized metal slab with steel straps which also kept its arms pinned to its side. Its string mesh vest thankfully covered some of its ugliness, the material pierced by a couple of bullet holes. It lay unconscious and watched carefully by a squad of UNIT soldiers armed with rifles. The creature itself was about seven feet tall, covered with green scales and more muscular than any human they had ever seen. It was even stronger than the other Sea Devils Leonek had observed in the caves, though not quite as tall. It had gills, but it seemed to have no trouble breathing the air. Its face was the worst part of it, with features that belonged more on a fish or an amphibian. It also reeked of a horrible fishy smell.
OOC,[b]Leonek[/b] and [b]Newton[/b], please roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 0/1d6, so you lose no Sanity if you succeed at the roll, but you lose 1d6 Sanity if you fail. If you lose 5 or more Sanity, you must roll Idea. If you succeed at that roll, you go temporarily insane, but if you fail the Idea roll you may act normally.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Leonek recoils as the stench of the creature hits him, holding onto the wall to stabilise himself.
MrHandy,Wasn't there some rule as to the maximum amount of Sanity you can lose from a creature? I vaguely remember something of the sort, but don't have my book on me.
Sanity stuff,Sanity roll, [dice]0[/dice] Sanity damage, [dice]1[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Leonek Novak,Yes, the rule is called "Getting Used to Awfulness." The maximum amount you can lose for seeing a particular type of creature during a "reasonable period of time" is equal to the maximum that you can lose for seeing one of them. However, all of I believe all of your previous Sanity losses were due to other types of creatures (hybrids, [b]Rover[/b], and the like) and traumatic events such as seeing someone killed. Invisible Castle is down, but I had looked through your previous threads, and it appears that you've always made your Sanity roll before when seeing a full-blooded Sea Devil. This is the first time you've lost Sanity for seeing one, so you'll lose the full amount you rolled. However, if I'm mistaken, please show me where you lost Sanity for them before (a full Sea Devil, not merely a hybrid). If I'm not, you'll still need to roll Idea. The good news is, at least you'll now only be able to lose one more Sanity point for seeing any more of them later. Also, in the likely event you go temporarily insane, you'll also gain 5 points of Cthulhu Mythos and may immediately roll against it (though it's arguable whether gaining Cthulhu Mythos points is good).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

OOC,ok not sure how to roll, I know it is 1d100, is it anything else. [dice]0[/dice]
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Leonek wretches and then collapses against the wall he was grasping for, sliding down and landing on the floor with an undignified thunk.

Idea 90%-Not failed...,[dice]0[/dice]
Mythos roll 5%,[dice]1[/dice]
MrH,I have no idea what I lost it to, but I'm going to have faith in your administrative skills ;) And sure, that's a good thing...oh no, wait, it isn't :p
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

OOC,guessing I need to roll 1d6 also.. [dice]0[/dice]
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

OOC,idea roll... [dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Well, you've both gone temporarily insane. Better here than in Dunwich where the monsters aren't chained up, at least.
Leonek Novak,[spoiler]Type and duration of temporary insanity [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice][/spoiler] [b]Leonek[/b], you start screaming at the sight. As far as I can tell, you lost the first 2 Sanity from seeing the man killed in the helicopter crash, the first 3 from seeing a hybrid, the second 3 from entering the TARDIS, and the third 3 from seeing the creature on the monitor. You lost only one from seeing [b]Rover[/b]. The other point of Sanity was lost from another hybrid, the one whose car you took.
Newton Noyes,[spoiler]Type and duration of temporary insanity [dice]2[/dice] [dice]3[/dice][/spoiler] [b]Newton[/b], you suddenly notice that everyone else in the room seems to share some of the features of the captive creature, much like the Brigadier described the hybrids. You rolled correctly. You have just gained 5 points of Cthulhu Mythos, and you may now roll against this skill on 1d100.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 4”