IC-Ep 4-Briefing(Everyone else)

The UNIT team members are split up and must flee from Dunwich for their lives. Elliot is captured by the Sea Devils and their hybrid offspring, and Brigadier Crichton organizes a raid to deal with the threat in Dunwich.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

IC-Ep 4-Briefing(Everyone else)

Post by Mr. Handy »

UNIT HQ - London, England
7:00 AM- Friday, September 6, 1985

The auditorium was packed with hundreds of people, everyone in UNIT who had been selected to participate in the impending raid on Dunwich. They had all assembled after a hasty breakfast. Brigadier Charles Cricthon walked up to the podium where a microphone and a glass of water rested, carrying a long stick in his hand. An overhead projector was on a small table beside it with a transparency on top of it, and it was pointed at a large white screen hanging behind him. "Good morning, ladies and gentlemen," he said into the microphone. "You're all here because you've been chosen to participate in Operation Deep Six." He nodded to an aide, who dimmed the lights and turned on the projector. A map of Great Britain appeared on the screen, and the Brigadier pointed at a spot on the east coast of England, some distance northeast of London. "This is Dunwich. Once, in medieval times, it was a major English city and center of commerce, but the sea has gradually swallowed most of it up. Now it is a village with a population of approximately two hundred, little more than a tourist attraction. Dunwich has been secretly taken over by amphibious creatures known as the Sea Devils some forty years ago. They are not extraterrestrials, but rather from Earth. They are intent on taking over this planet from mankind, and Dunwich is their beachhead. They are genetically compatible with humans and capable of producing children with them - children that begin to transform into Sea Devils in adulthood. If the Sea Devils are not stopped here, they will eventually infiltrate further. It may take a long time, but one day humanity will be no more if they succeed. That must not be allowed to happen!

"Operation Deep Six will begin this evening. UNIT will take delivery of two Royal Navy vessels that are on their way to London. One is the destroyer HMS Brighton, which will be commanded by Captain Hart, who has previously encountered the Sea Devils. The other is the submersible Intrepid, skippered by Commander Nelson, a descendant of that Nelson. We will also have a large convoy of armoured transport vehicles that will carry our ground forces to Dunwich. The journey will proceed under cover of darkness, over both sea and land, with both groups due to arrive around 0200 hours. At that time, our ground forces will surround and cordon off Dunwich to make sure that none of the Sea Devils or their hybrid spawn escape by land. The Royal Navy will be prepared to intecept any attempting to flee by sea. The official cover story is that this is a medical quarantine.

"Once the cordon is in place, our first order of business is to secure the Ship Inn, the only inn in Dunwich. It is here that the tourists will be staying, and their safety is a high priority. The Ship Inn will also make a suitable field headquarters. Once that is established, our forces will be divided among multiple objectives. One objective is the Lake family manor. They have formed an alliance with the Sea Devils, and all of the currently living members of that family are their offspring. I will personally command the team that takes the mansion. The other main objective is a series of caves below the cliffs south of Dunwich that the Sea Devils use for unknown purposes. There are two entrances to these caves that were discovered by a team we sent into Dunwich yesterday, and our troops will attack through both entrances simultaneously. One is in the ruins of Greyfriars on the cliffs above, a secret entrance that goes down a stairwell. Sergeant Ecarg will command the squad that uses this route. The other is an undersea tunnel at the base of the cliffs. It is normally submerged, but at low tide it will be possible to wade into it, so that is when we will make our move. Sergeant Hale will command the squad that will enter via the tunnel.

"Of the investigators that went to Dunwich and discovered the threat we face, one was killed in action: Raymond MacIntyre, our Technical Advisor. As of this moment, Tobias Maddox is UNIT UK's new Technical Advisor, in an acting capacity until this promotion can be made permanent. He was part of the team that infiltrated Dunwich yesterday, and while he was wounded, he is healthy enough to assist with our operation. Elliot Webb, one of our operatives, is still listed as missing in action. He called into UNIT HQ late last night, stating that he was at the Cliff House Inn a few miles south of Dunwich. We sent a couple of soldiers in a vehicle to pick him up, but he was gone when they arrived early this morning. The receptionist told them that three constables had come into the lobby and tried to apprehend Mr. Webb, a scuffle had broken out, and Mr. Webb had fled with two of them in pursuit. His fate is still unknown, but we have had no further contact with him.

"Does anyone have any questions at this point?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Re: IC-Ep 4-Briefing(Everyone else)

Post by DrPeterson »

Leonek looked around at all the others, somewhat unsettled by the amassed forces, but didn't speak up.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Post by Vladd »

Peter stood up, "Sir you say three police officers tried to apprehend Webb, do we know if they are imposters or has the local police been infiltrated? If so do we know just how far the infiltration goes?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We have reason to believe that the Dunwich constabulary has indeed been compromised," replied the Brigadier after taking a sip of water. "Our team ran afoul of them before they had to flee Dunwich, and the hotel clerk's descriptions of the constables matched perfectly. They also likely intercepted the telephone call that Webb placed in order to find him, which would require the connivance of the local operator. It seems most probable that Dunwich has been thoroughly infiltrated. None of the locals are to be trusted."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Leonek stood too and spoke up despite his misgivings about speaking in front of crowds.

"Do wje have orders to shoot on sight, sir? The civilians of Dunwich, I mean, or do wje capture thjem?"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Excellent question," said the Brigadier. "The rules of engagement are as follows: anything that isn't human, you should shoot on sight. If it looks part human, that's likely one of the Sea Devils' children. If they take hostile action against you, or if they're about to, you can shoot them too. Otherwise, capture them if possible. Likewise for human-looking civilians, though they are not to be regarded as a threat unless they demonstrate otherwise. Everyone in Dunwich must be detained, but don't worry if they manage to flee from you. Our cordon will make sure they don't get far, and we'll do a thorough sweep once we've secured Dunwich. Everyone captured will be transported to a holding facility where our Scientific Advisor Dr, Kirby will carry out extensive genetic testing on them to verify whether or not they are human."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Leonek's face is flushed as he sits down again, although whether the colouring is from appreciation of his question or the mention of Dr. Kirby is uncertain.
Mozy
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 9 years 6 months

Post by Mozy »

Evert stands to say " So we are giving the option to surrender, will they accept surrendering themselves or will they die for their cause. Secondly how is a submersible able to stop something swimming? As far as I know submersibles are quite fragile if something is to damage the hull." Evert then sits as his question is answered.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Tobias stands,
"Tobias Maddox. I agree with this guy. I can't see how one submersible will be able to stop a mass evacuation of these sea devils, especially in the dark. I'm also concerned about new enemy forces invading from the sea." He stops, trying to remember, "I'm sure I heard mention of a really big sea devil. And what about Rover? It's a huge 20' sphere thing that can move very fast on land, highly dangerous. It's not just sea devils and their mutants we need to be worried about."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I do not know if the people will surrender or not," said the Brigadier. "It depends on how fanatical they are. Some, particularly civilians, will likely not put up a fight. Some undoubtedly will. Those you should have no compunction about engaging. The destroyer will blockade the coast and ensure that none escape by sea. It has guns as well as depth charges for bombing underwater targets, though those can't be used closer to shore. The submersible can attack with its torpedoes in much shallower waters, and its advantage is stealth. Yes, it's fragile, but I'm hoping the enemy doesn't know it's there until it attacks. After that, it will jolly well have to bug out. As for Rover or unusually large Sea Devils, we'll be bringing heavy weapons to the battle. We'll set up machine gun emplacements on the perimeter, and we'll be armed with LAW rockets, both fragmentation and incendiary grenades, and a flamethrower. If you have any equipment requests, please make sure you get them to the Quartermaster as soon as the briefing is over so they can be ready by the time we depart."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Post by Vladd »

Peter stood again, "Do we have any idea of the size of the enemy force or their level of weaponry?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The locals don't seem to have much in the way of weaponry," said the Brigadier. "The constables had clubs, and some of the servants at the mansion had handguns and shotguns. I wouldn't expect any military-grade weapons from them. The Sea Devils in Dunwich wielded spears and fishing nets of all bloody things. In UNIT's previous encounter with them years ago, the Sea Devils had advanced weaponry in the form of some sort of ray gun, but this appears to be a different lot. We hope so, anyway. There are only about two hundred people living in Dunwich on the surface, and many of them will not be combatants. We have no idea of the Sea Devils' numbers, only that there are more than a handful."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

Half-asleep and still drowsy and wounded, Salem slowly motions his hand, "Do we not have any air superiority? If we're hitting hard, we could launch an attack simultaneous at Lake's Manor and Dunwich itself?"
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We can't use our air power," said the Brigadier. "There are civilians in Dunwich, and we have to minimize the risks to them. We can do recon overflights, but an air raid would kill innocent people. As a doctor, you should appreaciate that."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

"I'm not saying to rely exclusively on air in maintaining dominance, no." Salem postures himself up the chair, "It's obvious you need ground forces to maintain a perimeter around our area of operation. Much like the navy patrolling the seas. Do we have the resources, to have ground troops approach both the beach and the town, while simultaneously timing it with another team advancing towards Lake's Manor, via dropped from air support?" Salem looks up at the Brigadier, "It would leave the opposition forces with little time to prepare a defensive posture."
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by dustakr »

Spoiler:
It would have been same as always, but nope, this time, you get to wake up for early morning briefing, what a great way to waste a beautiful taste of coffee...and to start a day also.
Newton gets little uncomfy and tries to adjust himself 'this place is crowded, than anything I ever seen.'.
Newton looking forward at podium, moves little towards person next to his left, and speaks politely 'When is coffee going to get served again?', moves back, still looking forward.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's tea, not coffee," said the UNIT soldier next to Newton. "We'll have that and some grub after the briefing."

"Paratroopers would ordinarily be a possibility," the Brigadier answered Salem. "Unfortunately, the weather report for tonight shows a storm coming into Dunwich. At best, the wind would blow them off course before they land. At worst, they'd be injured or killed. We cannot afford to wait for better weather. The sooner we strike, the less time the enemy has to prepare. Insertion by helicopter would have been an option, but we currently do not have a helicopter available after that crash the other day."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Tobias raises his hand. "Those of us who went in before, which teams will we be on? I'm afraid I don't relish rentering the cave; I got totally creeped out by the place."
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by dustakr »

Newton gets back to the soldier next to him, this time leaning forward looking down, 'were you aware of Mr. Webb scene?' and waits for second to get some reply, then again looking forward.
OOC:   Do let me know if I am out of context, while playing, All new to me.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You may each request which group you'd like to accompany," said the Brigadier to Tobias. "It would make sense if you went with one of the groups raiding the cave, as you've been there before and know your way around. Since you're not the best swimmer, it would make more sense to put you with Sergeant Ecarg's squad if you do end up going to the cave. However, you are wounded, and I am loathe to put you at risk, having just lost Technical Advisor MacIntyre. You may accompany me to the manor if you wish, or you may stay behind at the Ship Inn once we've secured it."

"I never met the bloke," the soldier replied quietly to Newton so as not to disturb the Brigadier answering questions, "but I heard he's a covert operative and is missing in action. The others who've gone to Dunwich before, they know him. I'm sure you'll be able to talk to them later."
OOC,Don't worry, you're doing fine.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 4”