IC-Ep 4-A Yank in UNIT(Evert Jacobs only)

The UNIT team members are split up and must flee from Dunwich for their lives. Elliot is captured by the Sea Devils and their hybrid offspring, and Brigadier Crichton organizes a raid to deal with the threat in Dunwich.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

IC-Ep 4-A Yank in UNIT(Evert Jacobs only)

Post by Mr. Handy »

UNIT HQ - London, England
9:25 PM - Thursday, September 5, 1985

Evert Jacobs entered Brigadier Charles Crichton's office at UNIT HQ, where he had been summoned. The Brigadier had set out a chair for him, and he sat behind his large oak desk, where he rested his arms and clasped his hands. "Please, have a seat, Mr. Jacobs," he said. "You're probably wondering why I called you here. You've only recently been seconded to UNIT, so you may not be completely familiar with our operations. Our operatives have uncovered a threat in the coastal town of Dunwich that poses a danger not just for the United Kingdom, but possibly the entire world. You need to be aware of this so that you can inform the relevant people in your country, and you'll be able to give a more complete report if you see it firsthand. We're planning a massive operation in Dunwich, and I'd like you to participate."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mozy
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 9 years 6 months

Re: IC-Ep 4-A Yank in UNIT(Evert Jacobs only)

Post by Mozy »

Evert looks calmly at Brigadier Chrichton, sitting in the designated chair. Evert calmly states “UNIT seems to need my assistance, in turn I will need information on the subject. To work with you, I will need to be informed on the subject at hand. What type of threat does this town of Dunwich pose?” After pausing to hear the answer, “I might be able to talk to my superiors and gain more information, Do you have a secure line?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We do have secure communications, yes," said the Brigadier. "The threat in Dunwich is a species of aquatic humanoids we call the Sea Devils. They are not extraterrestrial, but are native to Earth. According to them, they were here first. UNIT has had a run-in with them once before, back in the seventies. They had gone into hibernation in the distant past, anticipating a great calamity that would befall the Earth, but it never happened. Some of them have apparently woken up, and there may be others who never went to sleep in the first place and have been living in the sea this whole time. This lot came from the Pacific, and they were apparently brought to Dunwich after the war by a Captain Josiah Lake, who must have met them at that time and made some sort of deal with them. They've been steadily infiltrating Dunwich for the past forty years. From what Dr. Kirby, our Scientific Advisor, has learned, they are genetically compatible with humans. They've been mating with the residents of Dunwich. Their offpsring start out human, but after they reach adulthood they gradually transform into Sea Devils. They seem to be engaged in what Dr. Kirby calls 'genetic warfare,' contaminating our gene pool until eventually all mankind will be tainted. They have a beachhead in Dunwich now, but they'll spread out from there - unless we stop them first."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mozy
Layman
Layman

Post by Mozy »

Evert looks quizzically at the Brigadier "Sea Devils you say. I have seen many things but that is not one of them. So I am gong to need more than what their plan is, do you know of the religion of the people of Dunwich? Do you know a general population of Dunwich?, Have you done research into them since the seventies?" Evert sighs, "Your position is very scientific, how long have you been doing information gathering in Dunwich? Have you looked into things in relation to Captian Josiah Lake's journey to Dunwich? He must have had crew members and interactions outside of his own men that saw something."

OOC:   Can you roll An occult roll for me based on : Costal sea People, Sea monsters stories from the US where Evert Originated, Merman/mermaid tales in the Pacific. I am not sure what your dice rolling process is.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,You may roll Occult, but it won't tell you anything Mythos-related. You can use Invisible Castle for dice rolling, as mentioned in the Character Creation/Rules thread. One of my other games has full instructions [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?p=44697#p44697]here[/url], but they're dated. Invisible Castle now has Campaign Name as a field, so you should only put your character's name in the Name field. I've heard that there are problems with people trying to register there (apparently new users can't, but existing users like me can still log in). You can still roll if you're not registered. You can also use the forum's dice rolling mod. Instructions were just posted [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=318&t=5318]here[/url]. I don't have time to post the Brigadier's response tonight, but I'll try to do it tomorrow night.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Evert had heard of legends and myths about similar creatures. The Scots and the Irish had tales of the Selkie, amphibious creatures similar to merfolk except that they took a seal-like form rather than one resembling a fish. They were said to be able to go onto land and take human form, and they even supposedly married humans and had children by them. Other cultures had tales along the same lines. There were also monster movies that featured something of the sort, such as the Gill-man from Creature from the Black Lagoon and the creatures from the more recent Humanoids from the Deep. This was the first he had ever heard of Sea Devils, however.

"Dunwich only came to our attention in the last few days, and there hasn't been much time to do research," said Brigadier Crichton. "From what Dr. Kirby was able to discover,the Sea Devils worship an alien named Cthulhu from a planet called Xoth. It came to Earth in ancient times and has long since been imprisoned asleep beneath the sea in the sunken city of R'lyeh, which is supposed to be somewhere in the South Pacific. The Sea Devils believe that Cthulhu will rise and conquer the world one day when the stars are right. They also revere giant beings they call Father Dagon and Mother Hydra, which may be the progenitors of their race. Apparently Sea Devils can live indefinitely, and they can continue to grow. Dagon and Hydra are said to be humongous.

"Centuries ago, Dunwich was one of England's major cities, but the sea has gradually encroached on it, and most of it is now underwater. Only about two hundred people live in Dunwich - at least on the surface. There's no telling how many Sea Devils are living in the underwater ruins. This is the first time we've encountered them since that time in the seventies. We've got some information on that initial encounter in our files. We haven't found anything else out about them until now. We've only just learned of Captain Lake this evening, so we haven't had any time to look into him yet.

"All of this started last week, when a London man named Simon Armistead topped himself with a shotgun blast to the head. The autopsy showed that it was in fact a suicide, and that would have been the end of it if not for certain...deformities of the corpse. They brought the matter to UNIT's attention. Dr. Kirby performed another autopsy, along with Dr. Salem Shields. She confirmed the results of the initial autopsy and quickly determined that Miles Armistead was not Simon's true father from their blood types. In her inquiries, she learned that Simon's mother Beth Armistead, who had died of cancer earlier this year, had gone to Dunwich in 1954 to do historical research, some nine months before Simon was born. Dr. Kirby went to Dunwich a couple of days ago to continue her investigation, but she disappeared. This morning I sent a team to find out what happened to her and bring her back. They did that, though two members of the team have not returned. They did, however, bring back a live Sea Devil."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mozy
Layman
Layman

Post by Mozy »

Evert nods listening "You say there is a live one, How are you keeping it? Also you plan to assault the town of Dunwich, with two days information and you took one of the Sea Devils just this morning?" Evert looks down a bit in shock, "You sent in a scientist to investigate alone, you then lost Dr Kirby as said and now you went in and made an offensive action losing two men in the process and taking a creature. If they live in the sea and indefinably, what is to stop them from leaving? They can wait out your life and mine, all rushing in their after Kirby did was allow them more time to escape and destroy evidence. If life in intelligence has taught me anything the more people you send the faster they react, and aggressive as you were there might have been a lot of information you just lost. So who am I going to be working with and what is the plan?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"At the time Dr. Kirby went to Dunwich to make discreet inquiries, there was no inkling of any danger," said the Brigadier. "She was to call in every day, and when she didn't call in, I sent in a team to find her. We had no information then, so they had to go in blind. They did rescue her and bring her back, but they engaged and alerted the opposition in the process, which I'd rather they hadn't done. Raymond MacIntyre, our Technical Advisor, was part of the team. He was killed in action. Elliot Webb, one of our covert agents, is missing in action. The other five members of the team have returned, some of them injured. These include Flight Lieutenant Chad Engraham, one of our pilots, Assistant Technical Advisor Tobias Maddox - I suppose he's Acting Technical Advisor now, medical officer Dr. Salem Shields, covert operative Valerie Soames, and Private Leonek Novak, a driver and mechanic. We're currently assembling a large force to secure Dunwich. One of our best NCOs, Sergeant Valentine Hale, is assisting with the selection of personnel.

"The captive Sea Devil is secured in the containment building, in the medical lab. I just came from there. It was only brought in this evening. It's very badly wounded. It made an escape attempt earlier, but we have soldiers watching it every second now. You're welcome to go there if you want a look at the thing. Our plan to take Dunwich includes a destroyer and a submersible on loan from the Royal Navy. We expect to take delivery of them within 24 hours. That is what will keep the Sea Devils from simply escaping. The bulk of our forces will move overland, in the night. We will surround Dunwich and cordon it off completely, under the guise of a medical quarantine. The first objective we will take is the Ship Inn. There are a number of tourists in Dunwich on any given day, and that is the only place in town for them to stay. We need to make certain of their safety and keep them out of harm's way during our operations. The Ship Inn will also serve as our field headquarters. From there, we will dispatch our forces to secure additional objectives. The Lake mansion, southwest of Dunwich, is one of them. Not far from there is a cave system accessible from an entrance on land and one in the sea. I envision a two-pronged attack to ensure that nothing escapes. We'll go in at low tide, when the sea entrance is not submerged. The Sea Devils have some sort of temple in those caves. The Sea Devils also have a very large creature they call Rover. Small arms fire did little damage to it. We'll be bringing LAW rockets, a flamethrower, and grenades to deal with it and any other powerful threats we find."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mozy
Layman
Layman

Post by Mozy »

Evert looks at the Brigadier and smiles "The plan will be worked out as the team learns more information I assume. The current plan of attack seems to work, I would reccomend hign numbers of explosive charges in case the enemy holes up, secondly you might want some fire starting kits. Other than that things seem reasonable. I would like to be introduced to the team I am working with, then see the beast I will be facing. I do not want to be caught off guard by their looks. Have you tested tear gas on the captive to see how it will work if there are crowds of enemies?"
OOC:   Sorry for the short posts I am still working out the style of the character.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No, we haven't tested tear gas on it," said the Brigadier. "It's very badly wounded, and we don't want to risk killing it. On the bright side, bullets seem to be rather effective against it, though it's hardier than humans. That would have pleased my predecssor no end. He was always frustrated that the alien menaces we encountered were often immune to bullets. Those are some good suggestions. We'll bring more explosives and firestarting kits, and I'll see if we can scrounge up some incendiary grenades to go with the more conventional kind. If you want to meet the team, most of the survivors of the original mission are in the file room selecting personnel for the raid with Sergeant Hale and one of our intelligence officers, Major Peter Rock. I'll take you there first, and then you can go over to the containment building's medical lab to have a look at the enemy."
OOC,No problem. It makes perfect sense for your posts to be short anyway, as you're roleplaying a dialogue. [b]Evert[/b], you are moving to the thread linked below:
Selections
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 4”