IC-Ep 4-Intelligence(Chad/Leonek/Valerie/Valentine/Peter)

The UNIT team members are split up and must flee from Dunwich for their lives. Elliot is captured by the Sea Devils and their hybrid offspring, and Brigadier Crichton organizes a raid to deal with the threat in Dunwich.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

IC-Ep 4-Intelligence(Chad/Leonek/Valerie/Valentine/Peter)

Post by Mr. Handy »

UNIT HQ - London, England
9:10 PM - Thursday, September 5, 1985

Peter Rock entered the file room at UNIT Headquarters. Brigadier Charles Crichton had selected him to join an impending operation targeting the coastal village of Dunwich. The Brigadier had told him that Dunwich was infested with Sea Devils, a species of aquatic humanoids native to Earth that UNIT had encountered previously in the 1970s, and their half-human offspring. Apparently they were capable of interbreeding with humans. Peter had been told to join some of the other team members in the file room to help them select personnel for the mission and get some background information from those who had already been there.

When he entered the room, he saw Sergeant Valentine Hale and three other people: Valerie Soames, an elderly lady who worked as an intelligence operative, Flight Lieutenant Chad Engraham, a pilot, and Private Leonek Novak, a driver. Valentine was just saying: "So what is the connection between these Lakes and the creatures that are now at the heart of our troubles in Dunwich?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Re: IC-Ep 4-Intelligence(Chad/Leonek/Valerie/Valentine/Peter

Post by Vladd »

Peter looked around the room at everyone and nodded, Good day all, I'm Peter Rock, just joined UNIT on secondment from Five. The Brigadier seems to think I can be of use with this Dunwich situation. Anyone care to bring me up to speed on these Sea Devil creatures? I don't know about you but they sound fascinating. Just what are they up to?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Valerie smiled. "Welcome to the team," she said. "I'm Valerie Soames. Dr. Kirby figured out what the Sea Devils are up to. She termed it 'genetic warfare.' They can...have children with humans. They appear normal at first, but when they become adults they start to gradually transform until they become Sea Devils too. It would take centuries, but eventually they could contaminate all of humanity if they're not stopped. They're using Dunwich as a beachhead, but they could easily spread out from there. I think Captain Lake must have met them in the Pacific during the war and brought them back with him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Vladd »

Peter frowned, Sounds ghastly, what's the plan of action? Who is this Captain Lake?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Captain Josiah Lake was a Royal Marine from Dunwich who served in World War Two," said Valerie. "He came back after the war a hero, and flush with gold. He bought his way into controlling the town. He's dead now, apparently murdered in 1970 by Edward Soames, Junior - who was himself killed shortly thereafter in mysterious circumstances. I'm sure Sergeant Hale knows more about strategy than I do, so I'll let him explain the plan so far."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Vladd »

Fair enough Ms Soames. So Sergeant what's the situation? What intelligence do we have, and what assets do we have at our disposal? I assume a full on asault has been ruled out?
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by Airbornexo »

The grim-faced Sgt. Valentine Hale flicks through a small reporter's notebook with a practiced hand summarising the plan of attack:

"This will be a night infiltration of Dunwich with several key objectives. Firstly the Ship Inn needs to be secured and non-combatants expected to be present to be contained, detained and above all not become collateral. The Inn will also serve as our forward command post to liase with off-shore forces and the Royal Navy. A small team with a high powered radio should suffice. Our next objectives are the sea caves and the Lake Manor in that order."

The big Sergeant rhymes through the plan quickly, precisely without pausing to elaborate...

"The way the Brigadier has envisaged the plan, I am to lead an amphibious landing at the beach with approximately half our forces. A second force will secure the ruins and use them to access the cave. Hostiles are expected to be in large numbers and have the heavy asset designated 'Rover'. Lethal force, no-one leaves unless they're in a body bag or detained for processing." He looks over to Soames, "did I miss anything Ma'am?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Only a few bits," said Valerie. "I don't recall the Brigadier saying that the Lake Manor would wait until after the sea caves. It would make better sense to strike all objectives simultaneously, to best take advantage of surprise. Otherwise anyone who escapes from one could tip off the enemy at the others. There may also be other objectives that will come up as we plan, or as the situation on the ground changes. The Royal Navy will be providing a destroyer and a submersible, as the Sea Devils may be underwater, particularly in the ruins of old Dunwich. I think a 'full on assault' is precisely what the Brigadier has in mind."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Vladd »

Rock nodded thoughtfully. Sounds like you have everything in hand. Just what is this heavy asset Rover, and where do I fit in with the operation? Do we know the size of force we are up against, and how many civilians will be needed to got to safety for debriefing?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Rover is, from what I've heard, a very large creature that shouldn't exist at all," said Valerie. "Fortunately, I haven't seen the ruddy thing, but these two young men have, I believe." She indicated Chad and Leonek. "The population of Dunwich is no more than 200. Not all of them are half-breeds, but I'd wager most of them are. Of course, many of them won't be combatants. We don't know how many Sea Devils there are. Any number of them could be hiding underwater. There are always tourists in Dunwich, and all of them would be staying at the Ship Inn. It's the only one in town. There can't be more than a few dozen at any one time."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Vladd »

Rock looked at Chad and Leonek, Anything further to add gentlemen? Just what are we up against with this 'Rover' creature?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Chad suddenly whimpered and shook uncontrollably. "So many eyes..." he moaned. "So many mouths..."

"It was huge!" said Leonek spreading his arms wide. "It somehow squeezed its way out of the caves after us, but then it seemed to inflate to full size. White and round and nasty. I shot it pretty good, right in one of its many eyes, and it seemed to feel it, but it didn't even slow down."
OOC,Both of their players haven't posted in a very long time, so I'll run them as NPCs for now.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Vladd »

Rock considered this intelligence, So what do we have on our side, and when do we move out?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"One destroyer, one submersible, and plenty of troops, some with heavy weapons," said Valerie. "A flamethrower and anti-tank weapons were mentioned. The Brigadier said we go in the day after tomorrow. It'll take time to prepare and get everything organised."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by Airbornexo »

"Not sure I agree with the wait, I'm itching to get started!" The big soldier paces back and forth....'Perhaps a run would clear my mind?'
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Vladd »

Rock watched the sergeant pacing up and down the room, Anxious for the off Sergeant? So where do I fit into the picture? I've spent the last few years playing with the KGB, anti tank weapons and flame throwers are a bit outside my experience, I didn't think we still used flamethrowers anymore, though this Rover sounds like a nasty piece of work.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The Brigadier probably wants you along to assess the larger threat," said Valerie. "We can defeat the Sea Devils here, but they'll still be around. We may learn all sorts of information about them in Dunwich that could be of use later on."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Vladd »

Rock nodded, Now Ms Soames I am afraid I interupted you when I came in, you were asking about the connection between the Lakes and these Sea Devils?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I was speculating that Captain Josiah Lake brought them back to Dunwich after the war," said Valerie. "Given what we've heard about the appearance of his children, he likely.." She gulped. "...married one himself."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Vladd »

Rock shuddered, Not a pretty image. So gentlemen anything to add?

Return to “Episode 4”