IC-Ep 4-And the Law Won(Elliot Webb only)

The UNIT team members are split up and must flee from Dunwich for their lives. Elliot is captured by the Sea Devils and their hybrid offspring, and Brigadier Crichton organizes a raid to deal with the threat in Dunwich.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Re: IC-Ep 4-And the Law Won(Elliot Webb only)

Post by BenTheRat »

Handy,do we usually have a cover story for where we work? I mean I assume I have friends and people I know outside of the UNIT.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Cover stories will vary depending on the mission. In this case, you were just pretending to be a tourist. Yes, you have friends and contacts on the street who are not part of UNIT, including in the criminal underworld.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

ooc,I know what our cover story was, but its a bit late for that. But what would I tell my family or close friends, outside of Unit, not contacts, that I do for a living? Do we get cover jobs, like many in the CIA do?
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,In [b]Elliot[/b]'s case, probably not. Since he was a street criminal before he joined UNIT, he could simply go on pretending to be one. He would continue to tell his family and friends whatever he told them he did before he joined UNIT. This would be more plausible than him actually having a respectable job. You're free to make up whatever cover you'd like.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Elliot turned away from mother and back to Victoria. Then back to mother, "I really shouldn't say, but I'm a member of the Royal Navy."
Last edited by BenTheRat on Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah," said Y'Hali. "Now that makes sense. Naval Intelligence, I presume, seeing as you're not in uniform. My late husband was in the Royal Marines, you know. Served with distinction in World War Two. Were you involved in the Falklands War?"
OOC,I think you mean [b]Victoria[/b].
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Yes, but I'm not supposed to talk about what I do, I hope you understand, its all considered classified." Elliot hopes he is coming off as believable enough to explain everything he has done that they are already aware of.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If you're going to join our family, there can't be any secrets," said Y'Hali. "What are the intentions of your friends in the Royal Navy towards us?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"I'm not sure their full intentions, but I could tell on the phone, they are afraid of your family and what it represents and things they have done in the past. What are they going to do, I do not know, but I do know it will not be safe here," Elliot responds.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If they attempt to attack us here, it will not be safe for them," said Y'Hali. "It may not look like it to an outsider, but we are more than capable of defending ourselves."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Well if its possible I'd like to stop this bloodshed on both sides," Elliot responds. "I see no need for an attack, but I do believe one is coming, and all I want to do is keep Victoria safe."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I would like the same thing," said Y'Hali. "I can see you would be a welcome addition to our family. Even now, Father Stewart is calling forth a protector for this house. If the attack does come, we will defeat the invaders utterly. Then we will be in a position to dictate favorable terms of peace."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Elliot forces himself to look into her eyes, "I don't want to see that either, I have friends..." he trails off. "With your permission mother, I'd like to try and negotiate a peace before the bloodshed. They also believe they will destroy you. I'm not sure there can be a peace, but I've got to try."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Negotiate for what?" asked Y'Hali. "For our right to exist? And what shall we have to give the humans for the privilege of continuing to breathe?"
OOC,[b]Elliot[/b], please roll Fast Talk.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Fast Talk,[dice]0[/dice]
She caught Elliot off guard with that, "yea, well no, I mean..." He tries to recompose himself realizing he made a huge blunder. "Everyone has a right to live, to breathe. I'm just worried about Victoria being here."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We shall protect Victoria," Y'hali said. "I know you love my daughter. I love her as well. We will not start a war. We will not fire the first shot. If the humans are so foolish as to do so, we shall teach them a lesson. We will save some of the attackers alive, and we will give them our terms. They shall be the aggressors, and we shall be the victors. They shall agree, or they shall suffer worse. The Royal Navy does not want to start a war with my people, not if it has any sense. It is not what it was during World War Two. Britain relies on its nuclear arsenal and has mothballed many of its ships. Further, this island cannot produce enough food to support itself. Britain is wholly reliant upon the shipping of food from overseas. If it persists in waging war against us, those ships will not reach its shores. We can create a tighter stranglehold than German U-boat commanders ever dreamed of, if need be. They shall starve until they relent."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"With your permission, I'd like to stay by your daughters side to help protect her. I am sure you are confident in your abilities and those of your aquatic friends. But I've seen first hand what can happen, and I cannot see them backing down. I believe this is going to get much uglier, before it gets any better." Elliot looks back at Victoria, the worried look apparent on his face. "If I'm going to die, I'll die with you."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria sighed and squeezed Elliot's hand.

"Yes, I'd be glad to have you protecting my daughter," said Y'Hali. "I know what it's like to lose children, and I won't take any chances with the ones I have now. Before we came to Dunwich, my people, the Deep Ones, lived on an island in the South Pacific called Ponape. Some left to go to America with a Captain Obed Marsh back in the mid-19th century. They settled in a town called Innsmouth in Massachusetts where they lived at peace with humans for nearly a century, but the American government got wind of their presence and raided it. My people were killed where they were found, as were any children they had with the humans who resisted. Those they captured alive were taken to secret concentration camps. I do not know what happened to them there, but I am sure it was terrible. However, many of my people escaped their dragnet, into the sea. They still live in the undersea city of Y'ha-nthlei. The Americans depth charged it, but their bombs were largely ineffective. They presumed it was destroyed, but they were mistaken.

"Those of us who remained at Ponape, including myself, intermarried with the humans who lived on the island and had children by them. They would live and grow on the island until they transformed fully, at which time they would join us and live in the sea. However, during World War Two the Japanese invaded and occupied Ponape. They slaughtered all of our children living on the island and stole all of the gold." She lowered her head in obvious sorrow. "I thirsted for revenge, but I had to restrain myself. Had we gone ashore and attacked the Japanese, many of us would have been slain by their machine guns, rifles, and swords. The Japanese are fierce fighters who ask and give no quarter. But we Deep Ones are a patient lot, and we can live forever as long as we are not killed by violence. I did not get to be over three thousand years old by being stupid. My plan was to wait until the Japanese garrison was withdrawn from the island in troopships after the war and then sink those ships.

"However, Captain Josiah Lake and the Royal Marines arrived first. They stormed the beaches of Ponape and fought a difficult battle against the Japanese, but they prevailed thanks to Josiah's courage and brilliance. They avenged our children and wiped out the Japanese to a man; the Japanese were notorious for refusing to surrender no matter what. After the battle, they searched the island. They found papers on the Japanese officer's body detailing everything they had done and found on Ponape, and those led them to a mass grave where the Japanese had buried the islanders. Their possessions that had not been deemed of any value had been buried with them, and Josiah found a scroll in an ancient script wrapped around some unusual stones. He did not know what it meant at the time, but by the end of the war he had deciphered the text. It contained instructions for summoning forth Deep Ones from the sea, of which the stones were a vital component.

"After the war, Josiah returned to Ponape on his way back home to Dunwich, where he carried out the ritual. I heard the call and came ashore with others of my people. I loved him from the first. He told me of what he had done on Ponape, and I knew that he was the one for me. We conceived my daughter Emilia that very night. Bertie and Victoria were born years later, after my people had followed my new husband back to Dunwich."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Elliot forces the courage to try once more, "Mother, the story is fascinating, but I think it only proves the point I was trying to make. Twice before your kind have lost to men with guns. And that was back in the 40's and before that. Since then my people have made an art form of killing. Our guns are much more accurate and deadly than they ever were during world war two." He took a second to let that set in. "I can understand and admire your desire to dig in and hold your ground. That you feel this island country is your best chance to make a stand. But I'm telling you, if you stand up to this and fight, it will never end. You may win this battle, but you will never win the war. How many will have to die before you withdraw into the sea. Does your son Bert, have to die? Does..." he had to pause for a second, then recomposed himself, "Does Victoria have to die? I ask you, is this the battle you want to hang the hopes of your people on?"
Elliot pauses again letting the questions sink in.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"i will not allow any more of my children to die," said Y'Hali. "If we flee now, though, we will never be safe. The humans will continue to hunt us, even in the depths of the sea. Technology is improving, as you said, and mankind will continue plumbing the depths until we have nowhere left to run. We must make a stand somewhere, before it is too late. If they do not attack us here, we can continue to live in peace with humanity, so that our children and their children will be one. If they do attack, we shall teach them a lesson, one they shall never forget. Then we can negotiate from a position of strength and gain a lasting peace. My decision is final. I will make sure that VIctoria is safe, don't worry. She will be at sea with me, and you will come with us as well."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 4”