IC-Ep 4-The Thing That Should Not Be(Chad/Leonek/Tobias)

The UNIT team members are split up and must flee from Dunwich for their lives. Elliot is captured by the Sea Devils and their hybrid offspring, and Brigadier Crichton organizes a raid to deal with the threat in Dunwich.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Re: IC-Ep 4-The Thing That Should Not Be(Chad/Leonek/Tobias)

Post by DrPeterson »

"Aye aye, sir!", Leonek says, a serious look on his face.

He gets out of the back of the car and gets into the driver seat.

"Good luck in there, I hope you don't find any toads in the hole."

((OOC: damn you for that, I'm so hungry now :) ))
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Tobias took the revolver from Leonek and concealed it on his person, then went inside the White Horse Inn with Chad. There was a bartender behind the bar and a handful of customers sitting there drinking. None of them looked fishy, but they did look at the two strangers with interest - perhaps because they were both wearing wet suits for no apparent reason. The public phone was attached to the wall just inside the bar area.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"Err. Hi. Can we use your call box?" Tobias casually asks the barman, grinning a little sheepishly. He wonders how they'll code the necessary information to UNIT without sounding crazy to the locals. Then he has an idea. He says to the room in general, "You'll have to excuse our outfits - we've a good reason but it's one hell of a story. If you'd like to hear it." Hoping Chad will get the idea that one of them keeps the room busy with an outrageous tale whilst the other makes the call.
ooc,I'd forgotten about the wetsuits - quite a ridiculous spectacle - made me chuckle.
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 11 years

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Chad chuckles at Tobias' attempt to normalize their wet suits. "Quite a story indeed" Chad palms the change needed to call U.N.I.T. "Tell you what, I'll call home, you can bend their ear for a while with that story" Chad makes a casual approach to the phone.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Help yourselves," said the barkeep. He and the patrons listened intently to what Tobias had to say.

Chad inserted the coins one after another into the phone's greedy slot and had the operator place a trunk call to UNIT HQ in London. Soon he was patched through to Brigadier Crichton.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Tobias walks over to the bar so that everyone is looking away from the phone. He sits on a stool. "Well, where can I start? I suppose you could say it was when my Great Aunt Olivia died and left some old letters that she'd hoarded from the Victorian times. I'm afraid one of my forebears was kind of of a scallywag and some of the letters were his, boasting of his latest escapades in the Far East - was it the Boxer uprising or was that something else - anyhow, turns out he was a pirate of sorts and when he came back to England..."
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Chad gets the connection he is looking for then begins his verbal report. "Brigadier Crichton, this is Captain Engraham of the Dunwich investigation team with a status report. We have encountered aquatic humanoids living the ocean and ocean caves near Dunwich, we have also encountered what are apparently human-aquatic humanoid hybrids living in the town of Dunwich who have noticeable aquatic features like webbed hands. We believe that Dr Kirby was kidnapped by the Lake family and taken to their mansion in Dunwich. We believe the Lake Family is conspiring with the aquatic humanoids. We were attacked by the aquatic humanoids during the investigation. We encountered what was apparent time travelers traveling in what appeared to be a Police Call Box as a disguise, and clearly existed in a dimensional pocket as interior dimensions were far greater than exterior dimensions. We formulated a plan to attempt to rescue Dr Kirby that required our unit to split into three teams. One team Salem Shields, and Raymond MacIntyre provided security for my team's point of insertion at a local boat shack belonging to a local named Horsham. Elliot Webb and Valerie Soames formed a team that attempted covert insertion into the Lake family Mansion in an attempt to rescue Dr Kirby. Our team of myself, Tobias Maddox and Leonek Novak formed a diversion team where we made an overt incursion into the caves occupied by the Aquatic Humanoids. The time travelers recaptured their conveyance and have presumably left. During our diversion operation we captured a vehicle from a local human/aquatic hybrid we also were attacked by a very large, white, roughly spherical creature covered with numerous eyes and mouths, it was able to inflate itself it seemed to more than better than 6 meters in diameter. Small arms were ineffective at stopping it. Status of the rescue team is unknown. The security team at Horsham's boat shack may have been engaged in a gunfight while we were engaged with the large spherical creature, we detected gunfire from their direction. The spherical creature forced us to retreat, the security team's status is unknown. We are currently located with a vehicle in Westleton west of Dunwich. I request an update on any status you might have. Including reinforcements and resupply, or if any other element of our unit has contacted the HQ."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"...His ship struck a shoal not far from here and sank. Luckily all on board were save by a local fishing smack but the wreck was quickly covered by the moving shoals and was lost. But now we have modern technology like sonar, my friends and I decided to see if we couldn't track down the wreck and we came here to do a recce before hiring the equipment.
So we leave the car on the headland and take our rib with diving gear out about half a mile when we see some guys nosing about the vehicle. So we turned back and then the seagull cut out and in the process of trying to restart it we lost an oar so it took ages to scull back to shore."
Tobias looks out the corner of his eye to see how Chad is getting on. "Then we realised that we hadn't locked the car and all our stuff had been stolen; clothes, lunch, everything. And then we saw that we hadn't secured the rib properly and it was floating away. So there we were with in diving gear and not much else..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, this is one of that sort of mission," said Brigadier Crichton over the phone to Chad. "Those aquatic humanoids sound like the Sea Devils. Been a long time since UNIT have tangled with them. And a police box and time travelers, you say? Lethbridge-Stewart went on about them. I've no idea what that spherical creature is. Sounds like your diversionary mission was a success, though. Well done, Flight Lieutenant. Nobody else from your group has called in yet; you're the first. Right, you'd better return to HQ sharpish for a proper debrief. I'm amassing forces as we speak. I've been in contact with the Royal Navy and Geneva to get resources and authorisation for the next step. This is all going to take a bit of time, but I think everything will be ready the day after tomorrow at some point. Anything else before I let you go?"

The bar patrons listened intently as Tobias spun his tale. "What d'ya mean, the seagull cut out?" asked one.

"I think that's what he calls his motor launch," said another.

"This is ridiculous!" protested another. "If they lost an oar, they couldn't have got back to shore. With one oar, they'd just be rowing in circles!"
OOC,[b]Chad[/b], you're a Flight Lieutnant not a Captain. It's a bit premature to give yourself a promotion. ;) [b]Tobias[/b], please roll Fast Talk.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

fast talk,(35) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4494556/]1d100=36[/url]
Tobias shrugs. "I said it was a bizarre story. A seagull is the outboard motor; sorry, I'm an engineer so just assumed... anyway, and you can scull over the back of the boat with one oar, you know, in a figure eight motion."
Tobias demonstrates. "But it takes a long time. And I'm pretty poor at it, only know about it from a movie."
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Chad responds "Nothing additional sir, not right now. It should take about 4 hours for us to return to HQ if we are not further delayed. Lieutenant Engraham out." Chad waits to ensure the Brigadier is finished.
OOC,:oops: oopsie, RLd myself; To used to thinking of myself as a Captain
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good luck, Engraham," said the Brigadier before disconnecting.

The crowd looked only a little skpetical about Tobias's story.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"And that's why we are still in our wetsuits. Luckily I had the car key with me, wrapped in a bag, so we were able to get here at least. I'm looking forward to a hot shower I can tell you." Tobias looks round to Chad as he hears the phone click. "You done? I'd like to get back; this suit is chafing in parts I didn't know I had."
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Chad hangs up the phone and looks back at Tobias. "Yes I'm done. Let's get going." Then to the barkeep, "Thanks for letting us use your phone."

Chad proceeds to walk toward the door.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The bartender nodded as Chad and Tobias left without incident. They rejoined Leonek, who was waiting in the sedan.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Leonek sighed a sigh of relief as the others got in the car.

"How did it go and where are we driving?"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Tobias climbs into the passenger seat."Phew, I didn't like that one bit. It went fine thanks, but god, I'm paranoid about everyone I meet now. Yeah, let's get out of here asap Leonek, I'm still feeling nervous. "So what did UNIT say, Chad?"
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Chad climbs into the back seat and looks at Tobias and Leonek, "The Brigadier was surprisingly unsurprised at either aquatic humanoids, which he said sound like the 'Sea Devils', or the time travelers, both it seems have been encountered before. However, Rover, our big belligerant, we've not encountered before. We are to return to base at once. The Brigadier is amassing forces to address the problem. They should be ready in two days. None of the other elements have contacted the HQ"
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Leonek started driving back to HQ, his face glum.

"Two days..that's long, isn't it? If the rest are still there and need relief, that is."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,You may interact with each other as long as you like during the trip. When you're ready to move forward, please let me know.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 4”