IC-Ep 4-The Thing That Should Not Be(Chad/Leonek/Tobias)

The UNIT team members are split up and must flee from Dunwich for their lives. Elliot is captured by the Sea Devils and their hybrid offspring, and Brigadier Crichton organizes a raid to deal with the threat in Dunwich.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Re: IC-Ep 4-The Thing That Should Not Be(Chad/Leonek/Tobias)

Post by DrPeterson »

"It's still following us!"

Leonek casts a look at Chad and then leans closer to Tobias.

"We'll need good roads if we want to shake that thing."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"Ahh hell - it's one of those kind." Tobias puts his foot down and drives onward along the south west road, concentrating on the corners. "Is it gaining on us? I don't want to go too fast on these country lanes. What the hell is it? It's... I've never seen anything like it." The car wallows and dips round a bend, "My pop would be all over it but me? I just want outa here. No wonder folks round here are queer with that thing lurking about." Tobias talks rather too fast and too highly pitched, he's not happy.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

The paved road went around a curve, and the creature vanished from sight in short order, left in the distance. Up ahead was an intersection. The road continued to the west, and another dirt road branched off to the east. The south side of the road was lined with woods.

Chad began to calm down.
OOC,[b]Chad[/b], you may now roll Navigate. Your temporary insanity is over.
Chad Engraham,You now suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. You will have occasional flashbacks to your traumatic expreiences, especially when in similar circumstances.
Tobias Maddox,You now suffer from Claustrophobia, a fear of being in confined spaces.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"I think we shook it..."

Leonek puts a hand on Tobias's shoulder.

"Nice driving."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Thanks. I'm just glad we got away." Tobias slows the car down a bit and drives on to the west at a steady pace. "Well you won't catch me going near those ruins again." He says, muttering under his breath, "Or any caves for that matter." He looks around, "How are you guys bearing up? I guess we need to link up with the others but we'll need a roundabout route back to avoid the... thing. We could do with a hill, get some height for a recce, but it's so darned flat around here."
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"There's a map in the jeep, but that's about as useful as these wetsuits right about now...", Leonek says mournfully.

"It shouldn't be that hard to find the sea and that shack again, should it? Provided they are still there."
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 11 years

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Chad's head is starting to clear. Though still fearful he becomes realistic. "I don't think we've got a chance against that....,thing. I think our our priorities are, get to safety, then contact U.N.I.T. Update and get updated on our situation and get some new orders. "
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

A short distance ahead, another paved road branched off to the south, while the current road continued to the west.
OOC,[b]Chad[/b], don't forget that you can roll Navigate too.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Roll Nav,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4484605/]and the dice say 13, pass![/url]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Chad Engraham,[b]Chad[/b] realized that the other road from the first fork, the one leading north, would have led back to the west side of Dunwich. The dirt road to the east was Dunwich's High Street, but there was really nothing of consequence there despite the name. The road south didn't look like it went anywhere, but he knew that if they kept going west, they could reach the Blythburgh Road that could also take them northeast back to Dunwich, or they could head out of the area and head towards UNIT HQ by taking that road southwest. Alternatively, they could double back and take the north road to get back to Dunwich the quickest, but that would risk running across the creature.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

"Tobias we continue west" Chad points to the western road. "It's time to get a safe distance from Dunwich and report in. If one of the other groups has evaded capture hopefully they've done the same."
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Leonek is figdetting in his chair for what seems like an eternity, until he can't control himself much longer.

"What about Dr. Kirby? We have to try and help her...uhm...sir."
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

"Leonek, first we did try and help Dr. Kirby, in fact we may have helped Dr. Kirby, we aren't in the position to know. Our contribution to that effort was to create a distraction. Judging by that thing chasing us, I think we met our objective. Second: our cover is gone, half our unit is unaccounted for, we've engaged the local population in combat, and right now they have the upper hand, going back right now has very low probability of anything other than getting us killed or captured at this point. Now all of that said, I'm not opposed to going back to Dunwich and trying to rescue what ever is left of our unit, and Dr Kirby, but given the probability of failure I have an obligation to at least report in with what we have seen and discovered so the blokes from U.N.I.T. that follow us have an idea what they are getting into. Also giving things a little while to cool down might convince the locals we've left and give us some tactical advantage on our return of at least being unexpected; And if any of the others have reported in we will get some intel as to where they are so we actually can extract them, instead of wandering around looking for them until we get captured. We report in, get intel, reevaluate. "
OOC,What time is it?
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Being a civilian, Tobias is averse to laying his life on the line for anyone and turning back immediately seems a perilous idea, so he says. "I agree. What we've encountered is far beyond anything anyone could have imagined. I'd say it's imperative to get word to UNIT as this seems a whole lot bigger than a missing person inquiry. Whether they'll believe us is a different ball game." He goes up a gear, "I say we keep going till we find a call box."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The road led west to the Blythburgh road and the small village of Westleton. The only building of note was the White Horse Inn, which had a public telephone.
OOC,It is currently a little before 4:00 PM. It will take a little over four hours to reach UNIT HQ from here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Leonek leans back in his seat, staring out at the countryside.

"I know, I know,...", he mutters under his breath.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Tobias pulls up outside the sleepy tavern. "Who's up for breaking the news? I don't mind going." He feels in his pocket for small change. "What's the equivalent of a dime over here?"
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Chad shakes his head at Tobias. "We've done too many things ad-hoc on this mission. From now on everything gets a plan. First we aren't out of danger, and there are risks going in there and making this call. I'll make the call, Tobias, put your toy away and get the revolver we confiscated from fish-man, try and conceal it on your person, you will be my back up. Keep watch for anyone who looks like a threat or that they may try and keep us from leaving including law enforcement or anyone with aquatic features. The secret phrase between you and I is "Toad in the Hole" use it in a sentence like 'I could sure go for some toad in the hole' to alert me to any of those potential dangers, and I you. Either one of us says it, we walk out and leave immediately. Last Leonek by my commission as one of Her Highness' officers, I ORDER YOU to abandon us and immediately leave if you detect gunfire from within the tavern. Do not risk capture to wait for us or save us; Immediately return to U.N.I.T HQ and give your report there. Now do we all understand? Are we all ready? Who's got change to make the call?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,It's a trunk call, so it will cost a good deal more than a local one. Between all three of you, you have enough change to make the call.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Tobias pulls out the revolver and, surprisingly deftly for a simple engineer, expertly gives it a quick check and looks at the ammunition. "Okay, good plan. I'm hoping this is a 'normal' village but if not, they may have had word from Dunwich to look out for us. Leonek, better keep the motor running and park so we're heading out of town. If you have any problems out here, beep the horn and we'll come running."

Return to “Episode 4”