The Carlyle Estate

Moderator: Dave Syrinx

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

The Carlyle Estate

Post by Dave Syrinx »

This Friday, Erica feels elated that no one had visited Beccs. Bradley had assured her there was no need for another visit, yet. Having an aide on retainer and in-house is a good thing, Erica thinks to herself. It does come at a price, though. No true privacy. No chance for visits... visits without the normal outcome. Erica is not sure what she means with that. What's normal, anyway?

At that, Bradley comes down the stairs to the sitting room.

TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: The Carlyle Estate

Post by Mr. Handy »

Erica turns to look when Bradley comes downstairs and enters the room, putting her thoughts aside. "Good morning," she says.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

Bradley had not slept well, despite the comforts his position and the estate bestow upon him. Rather more terse than intended he snaps back at Erica

"Good Morning to you too Erica!" As the words were leaving his mouth he regrets saying them, at least the manner and tone in which they were transmitted to the poor unfortunate girl - after all she is not responsible for this situation. He closes his eyes and sighs before stammering something of an apology.

"I ... I" Taking a deep breath he starts again "I am truly Sorry Erica, I have not slept well recently, but I should not have taken it out on you." As he pours himself a coffee, he paints what he hopes is a convincing smile on his face; "And what plans do you have for today Erica, anything interesting?"
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Putting down the morning paper, Gerald Carlyle acknowledges Grey's presence with a chirpy "Morning. I have put a little thing in motion to make sure we get the whole ordeal to rest. Notoriously misunderstood and flamboyant adventurer Nigel Blackwell has been tasked with finding a cure in East Africa. He's supposed to be on board The SS Galeka bound to cast off tonight. Would you be so kind to see that he is on that ship. He's been payed already." To Erica he says, "Your mother will be resting today. Will you look after her if I do not get back before dinner? I'll be discussing the new trasnport alternative. Balloons, would you believe it?" He makes an imaginary balloon explosion and adds, "I'll be at the Von Teese building, if someone calls at my whereabouts."

Lately, Mrs Carlyle, Modesty, had been depressed and heavily medicated. Mr Carlyle even considered using the family doctor Roberta Huston to evaluate a stay at a retreat for a considerable time. The family tragedy seemed to have no end.

TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Of course, Father," says Erica. "I hope the search for the cure pans out. I try not to raise my hopes too much, but I can't help but get excited. It's my fondest wish." The thought of being able to live a normal life, to be able to one day marry and have children, and for her sister to have the same, quickens her heart and fills her with joy. "I'll spend some time with Becca too. She must get so lonely, not being able to go out."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"Certainly Mr Carlyle!" I respond with relish ... relishing the fact that I have something concrete to do at last.

"I will check to see which pier the SS Galeka is sailing from and ensure Mr Blackwell is safely aboard prior to it's departure. Are there any problems anticipated in this regard that I should be aware of Sir? For example are there any doubts about his fulfilling his part of the venture?"
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

The Rolls Royce Alpine Trial, one of the perks working for Mr Carlyle, waits for Bradley at the minutely tended gravel driveway. The drive into Manhattan will put him at the piers by six o'clock, a two hour drive.

Erica
finds herself alone in the dining room. There's food enough for Becca. That is if she'll be alright with her sister visiting.
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Erica gathers up enough food on a tray and then carries it to the cellar door. She knocks gently, yet with enough volume to be heard. "Becca, it's me, Erica," she says. "Are you up to some food and some company?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Down the stairs, behind double locks and bars, Rebecca sits by a desk, writing in her journal.
"I'm here. And I could do with some meat, sister."
When she had heard the key turn, and her sisters question she had reverted to her normal self. The incisors had pulled back, though she can still feel the taste of iron on her tongue. "Maybe we could go on the prowl, me and sister mine?"

Seeing her down here in the gloomy cellar, Erica can clearly see that Beccs is the spitting image of their mother. It is uncanny. With some makeup and a change of clothes, she could pass for Modesty. Or could she? Even, why should she? The mind plays tricks on you when confronted with the unnatural. And this is a very unnatural situation, even for Erica.

Imagine being locked up, down in your cellar for twenty months. And that to survive you couldn't go outside. Add to that, that you crave an unholy diet of human flesh, blood - at least. But, then again - there are people who don't deserve to have a life. It was those who were...served as.... Beccs' companions.

At Erica's arrival Rebecca puts down her pen and journal and eagerly asks, "Can we sneak out today, sister? Can we? None must know. Please!" The question is asked in a much younger voice that the one she had heard through the door - demanding meat...
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm sorry, I wish we could," says Erica. There is genuine empathy in her voice, for she knows that within years she may well find herself locked up down here with her sister. "It's for your own protection. If someone who didn't know you ran across you, it could get bad. But I do have some good news. Father has hired an adventurer named Nigel Blackwell to find a cure in East Africa, and he's leaving on a ship tonight! I know there are no guarantees, but I'm really hopeful about this. And I did bring some meat." She sets the tray down on an empty area of the desk. "I know it's not your favorite kind, but it should tide you over." The new moon had just been a couple of days ago, so it would be over a week before the worst time of the month, when Becca's cravings would get more pronounced. This was probably when she was at her best.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"That is good news, Erica." Rebecca starts with the tray of delicatessen aiming for the proteins. The rolls of bread remains untouched. "I would really like a book from the library, I've read all books we got here. Which isn't much." She licks her fingers clean and reaches for a glass of juice. A crude chain clatters from her feet when she shifts her weight to reach better.

"Bradley didn't bring me a friend, this week. Why not, sister?" She gulps down the glass in one go. As if not reflecting over a reply she adds, "I'd prefer something new and wild. Something unheard of. A mysterious place. That's the only way to get out of here. Unless, of course, you can't talk Bradley in to having me along for the trip. I', fine now. No need for this." She shakes the chain. "I'm no ANIMAL!...sister, mine."

Her fiery, earthy, brown eyes gleam at Erica. Rebecca's psyche sure has suffered from the ordeal of living the curse. No one knew she would be this..bad. Her parents, though, must have known - keeping her down here for her whole life. Blessed are those who live ordinary lives. Lives without abnormality.

"Will you talk to Bradley or Pa? I'd hug you silly, if you do."
"At night the sun isn't up, right? Then there's no problem..."

Erica has grown accustomed to Rebecca's erratic way of speaking. No wonder. The older sister had no one else to speak with, did she? That's why she keeps all those voices and lets them come out all at once.

Then, the door bell rings.
TVblog

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Bradley gets to the pier close to six. A yellow cab drives off as he puts the blue Rolls Royce to a stop. From the looks of it, it's not a big ship, more a smaller fright ship than an ocean liner.

TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll bring you back a book, Becca," says Erica. I bet Jules Verne would be right up her alley, she thinks. "And I'll talk to Bradley when he comes back. I don't know why he hasn't brought you anyone, but I'll ask him. At night the sun's not up, but the moon is. Take care, sis, I have to go see who's at the door." Her own speech is disjointed, she realizes. Maybe it's rubbing off on me. She excuses herself and heads back upstairs to check the door.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Locking all the locks after her, Erica walks up the exquisite carpeted stair to the first floor foyer and finds Maria, the maid, having opened the front door and blocking Dr Huston from entering the mansion. She greets Erica with a wave of her hand. "Turning the bottles , are we?" She smiles at Maria and pushes through the opening.

"How is Mrs. Carlyle doing, honey?"
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, Doctor, that's exactly what I was doing," says Erica with a completely straight face. "I'm glad you're here. Mother has been depressed lately, and I hope you can help her."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"I'm absolutely sure I can help her, rest assured on that." Dr. Huston takes off a silk scarf and shows bare shoulders and an open back. A fragrance of citrus and clean cotton is noticeable as they brush past each other. "I had a session with your father, last weekend. He mentioned the dilemma with the loss of a daughter. Very sad." She waits for directions and admires the stucco work on the ceiling. Mostly semi-naked angels and gargoyles, father has a thing for those. Half-naked things, that is.

"Is it Macari or Ospreys?" Dr. Huston pouts with her lips and leans against an art nouveau column in the foyer.
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm not sure," says Erica. Art wasn't a subject she studied much, though there was plenty of it around the estate. "You'd have to ask Father."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Bradley finds the pier-master's office and enquires with an appropriate bill in my jacket pocket should a 'sweetner' be required.

"Excuse me Sir, but I was wondering if you could please tell me what time the SS Galeka is due to cast off and furthermore, may I board as I wish to speak to the Captain about a personal matter?"
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

The pier-officer ponders the request and gladly explains, "Oh, it's the dingy over there, lad! Hop on and be off quickly will you."

Please head on over to Pier 54, please!

Pier 54
TVblog

Return to “New York”