Under the Pyramids

Across the globe, ancient evil is stirring. Now, you and your trusted circle of colleagues must travel around the world, working against all odds to hold back the approaching horror. Foul monsters, brutal encounters, and obscure mysteries will take you to your limit and beyond. All the while, you and your fellow investigators must unravel the otherworldy mysteries scattered around the globe in order to push back the gathering mayhem that threatens to overwhelm humanity. The end draws near! Do you have the courage to prevent global destruction?

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Under the Pyramids

Post by Tabs »

Prelude

Mandy Thompson regrets being late. Just before the early morning start on her first day at the bibliographic conference in Philly, she was "caught short," and had to visit the public lavatories--the trolley into town was not on time (something to do with power outages), and the heel had snapped on her shoe,

so that particular morning she was in an infuriated rush. Normally, well of course normally she would not dream of using a public john, she would have positioned a circle of paper upon the wooden ring, only this time . . . well, needs must, and all that.

Today she lays the tome aside and sweeps the scrolls from Mr. Shan’s lacquered table, with its exquisite jade inkwell, and stares out through the wood and paper window at downtown Shanghai. Unconsciously she runs her hand along the back of one thigh, which, ever since that john in Philly, has been blistered, red and its skin has been peeling.

Turn 1 Action Phase, Shanghai

Mandy opens a tome with odd, Egyptian-like hieroglyphs scraped between the Chinese characters—if only she could decipher these bizarre inscriptions? She sighs, brow wrinkled, and concludes that more research is needed.

Action 1: ability, draw 2 Clues: Cairo and space 21; Cairo chosen.

Action 2: travel to Tokyo.
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 13 years

Re: Under the Pyramids

Post by Quatermass »

Turn 1 Action Phase: Rex Murphy (Space 1 : Juno, Alaska)

A racking cough came from the tall thin man. He stood waiting for the clerk to return at the local hardware store in down town Juno. The white handkerchief came back speckled with drops of blood as he wiped his mouth. Damn he thought. It was getting worse. He would have to go see a doctor soon but he didn't trust the ones in town. Maybe Doc Samuels in San Francisco could help. The clerk returned with a small wooden box and handed it to Rex. "Here you go. No charge. I appreciated that story you wrote about the sheriff and his corrupt group of cops." the man said with a smile. Rex returned the smile and opened the lid to see it full of dynamite. "Thanks!" Rex said. "You never know when you would need this stuff."

Actions
1) Acquire Dynamite using Special Ability.
2) Move to San Francisco
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Prelude
Professor Harvey Walters walks through the campus of Miskatonic University in Arkham. As he strolls through the quad, he passes Amanda Sharpe, one of the brighter students. When he was a young student here himself, there weren't female students, which was more the pity. He is always glad to see them around. I'm too old for her, of course, he thinks, but I can still look.

"Good morning, Professor!" Amanda says with a cheerful smile. "Have you heard the news?"

"No, I haven't, Miss Sharpe," says Harvey. "Please, enlighten me."

"There's an expedition being formed, heading to Argentina to search for ancient pre-Columbian artifacts. Leo Anderson is organizing it."

"That does sound right up my alley! I am about due for a sabbatical. I may just sign on. Thank you for letting me know about it." He feels a sneeze coming on, and he quickly takes out his handkerchief and covers his mouth and nose before it erupts.

"God bless you, Professor! Are you okay?"

"I seem to be coming down with something. I'm sure I'll be fine."

Turn 1 Action Phase
Harvey packs for his trip, bringing along the ancient, puzzling tome he has been studying. In addition to being sick, he is plagued by nightmares of a monstrous, bat-winged creature with a single red three-lobed eye lurking in the dark and is just as glad to be leaving Arkham. He goes to the docks and boards the expedition's ship. The journey to Buenos Aires is long and miserable, and he spends most of it violently ill.
OOC,Since I can get to Buenos Aires in one turn, I'll do that now so I can try to obtain the Shining Trapezohedron. I'll leave the Clue at 7 for now. If [b]Jacqueline[/b] doesn't get it, I could go after it next turn. Action 1: Prepare for Travel: Ship Ticket Acquired. Action 2: Travel: Arkham->8->Buenos Aires[Ship Ticket]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Jacqueline wakes up from a restless sleep and jumps out of bed, running to the privy with all the fear and excitement of a school girl on the first day of a new year. Barely brushing her teeth and hair, she slapped on a woolly toque she had knitted herself when life wasn’t nearly this interesting. Hopping around like a mad court jester, Jacqueline struggled with her leggings and barely fastened her long, white conservative dress into place before stopping to catch her breath.

Jacqueline now had purpose in her life. These strange visions of death and decay she’d been having of late had finally turned up something of value to the world. A vision of evil men doing terrible things… things that might do harm to a lot of innocent lives if left unchecked.. Things that might be stopped if swift action were taken.

Taking off from her wardrobe at a slow sprint, Jacqueline raced into the kitchen, opened her refrigerator and retrieved an orange for breakfast. She began to peel it and then put it down on the counter panic rising quickly in her mind’s eye.

There’s no time!!

She grabbed her notebook and lucky black ebony pen. She once had a matching ivory for the set but the ivory trade was far too despicable to hold onto that thing disgusting relic. Cramming her notebook into a large frilled and flowery purse, Jacqueline raced out the front door, barely slowing down to put on her jacket.

She raised a hand to the street to hail a cab when the back of her head suddenly exploded into a chaotic display of marble, bone and brain. A large marble statue of a man contemplating something very important had fallen from its place on the rooftop above her apartment door. Jacqueline had always feared the look on the statue’s face, assuming he was contemplating something both selfish and cruel.
The statue had hit Jacqueline squarely on the head and was so heavy that as it fell, it proceeded to force its way down the poor woman’s body in as violent a manner as possible. After pulverizing Jacqueline’s head to a unrecognizable pulp, the statue continued downwards, shattering her spine and crumpling the poor woman into a pile of bloody meat on her own front step. The impact killed her immediately.

Jacqueline wakes up from a restless sleep and jumps out of bed, running to the privy with all the fear and excitement of a school girl on the first day of a new year. Barely brushing her teeth and hair, she slapped on a woolly toque she had knitted herself when life wasn’t nearly this interesting. Hopping around like a mad court jester, Jacqueline struggled with her leggings and barely fastened her long, white conservative dress into place before stopping to catch her breath.

Slow down!

She squinted and looked around her apartment a strong sense of déjà vu creeping up her spine. She walked slowly to the kitchen and opened up her refrigerator. She grabbed two eggs which she cracked slowly into a pan. She stirred them with a dab of milk watching with a strange fascination as the proteins in the egg coagulated together. She had just seasoned and plated her scrambled eggs when a terrible crash from outside shook her whole apartment.

She got up and ran to her front door. A marble statue had fallen from her roof and shattered into a thousand pieces on her front stoop. Jacqueline smiled. She had always hated that statue.

Humming softly to herself. Jacqueline calmly packs for her trip to San Francisco.

I think we’ll leave tomorrow…

Turn 1 Action Phase

Action 1: Rest and flip Poisoned condition card

Action 2: Travel to San Francisco
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Turn 1 Encounter Phase: San Francisco

Rex wondered the streets of China Town looking for the offices of a Doctor Lang-Fu. He had been given his address and told that he could help Rex with his cough. The blood was getting worse and the other doctors that he had seen hadn't helped at all. Strangely his office was tucked in the back of a restaurant. The Chinese stared at Rex as he walked though the place. Hadn't they seen a white man before he thought. A pretty waitress asked him in broken English what he wanted. He said he was looking for Dr. Lang-Fu. The whole restaurant when quiet. One or two people got up and left in a hurry. The waitress looked at him for a minute and then led him to the back.

Through some curtains was a richly decorated room with a go board set up in the center. A elderly Chinese man was smoking a long pipe and looking at the board. The man was richly dressed in some Chinese costume. He didn't look up as Rex walked in but keep staring at the board. Rex said he was looking for Dr. Lang-Fu. The man continued to ignore Rex. Confused Rex walked up and looked at the board himself. It was nearly full of black and white stones. Rex had learned to play in Shanghai and instantly he saw the correct move. Picking up a white stone he placed it on the board. The old man smile and said. "Yes. Mister Murphy. How may I help you."

[dice]0[/dice]
Success Improve Influence
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 1 Encounter Phase
Harvey explores the archaelogical site in the city of Buenos Aires, which contains a collection of ancient Mapache statues. "The Mapache used to worship these idols and make offerings to them," he says. On a whim, he places some fresh fruit before one of the statues in memory of these long-dead people. He is surprised to hear a gentle voice in his head. "Thank you, mortal," it says - he cannot tell whether it is male or female. "It has been a long time since anyone has made an offering. As a reward, you shall have an artifact of great power. Use it wisely, for it has the power to banish the Haunter of the Dark and save the world from the vile influence of Nyarlathotep." The voice guides him through the ruins, revealing a secret compartment containing a strangely glowing prism, which Harvey takes. "What a find!" he exclaims. "Thank you!" But the voice is gone.
OOC,Observation roll (3 dice) to hear the voice: [dice]0[/dice] Check passed. Shining Trapezohedron gained! 8-)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 1 Encounter Phase, Tokyo

Mandy Thompson gently turns a page of the manuscript which she discovered, scattered among other paraphernalia, on a rug in one of Tokyo's outdoor flea markets.

She runs her finger under the characters.

"You can read Chinese?" asks a dapper gentleman.

"Some," replies Mandy, standing up with a slight "ooh." She explains: "Stiff joints."

"Then I recommend a cup of ginseng tea." He introduces himself: "Hantaro Nagaoka."
~
Over a tea cup with the brilliant physicist Mandy learns about spatial disruptions, which she connects with tears in the space time continuum--gates to other worlds. Hantaro is so impressed by Mandy he offers her a contract to work at his laboratory, claiming "I can use spatial disruptions as a weapon" in order to tempt her. However she reluctantly declines the agreement, sadly, she feels, it is only the beginning and his work would be of no use at the present time.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice] - Influence -1 check to brownnose doctors - FAIL. Jacqueline decides to gain a debt condition to discard the poison card
After spending her first day in San Francisco defecating in hospital waiting room toilets, Jacqueline was finally able to see a doctor. She had been poisoned for several days now and felt like a bag full of hammered kittens. The poison coincided with her visit to the old cult building where she had received her vision that started her on this short but diarrheic journey.

The Doctor was a smug son of a bitch, who knew exactly what was wrong with Jacqueline and what to give her to counter the poison…. For a fee of course. Jacqueline couldn’t help but notice a small tattoo of a snake on the doctor’s left hand. Jacqueline closed her eyes and focused hard on the doctor and her current situation. She saw too possible futures… both morally and mentally degrading…. All the visions in the nine hells were not going to get her out of this one so Jacqueline did what any self-loathing, supernatural modern day woman would do her in her predicament. She took out a small loan with a very poor interest rate.

Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice] - Strength check to help subdue elephants. PASS- Improve Observation
As Jacqueline was leaving the hospital and wondering how she was going to get enough money for a half decent hotel in the cursed city she heard the sound of screaming.

Look out! Screamed a beat cop as he tried to steer a 6,000 pound elephant away from a crowd of ignorant onlookers. Two men with large mustaches were following after the beast with heavy hemp ropes. Both managed to lasso their ropes over the elephants head.

What in bloody blue blazes?

Jacqueline tried to sense the situation but there was no time. The rampaging elephant was headed right for her. She ducked behind a sturdy looking mailbox and watched in surprising bewilderment as the two mustached men were dragged behind the massive creature. Just as one managed to get his footing and pull on his end of the rope the other mustached man was flung up high into the air and landed hard down on a 1921 Blue Rolls-Royce. His arm bent at a disgustingly crooked angle and Jacqueline cringed. She hoped he didn’t have to see the same snake doctor that treated her poison.

Now the one mustached man was battling to subdue the elephant alone. Gathering her courage, Jacqueline ran out into the street and picked up one of the ropes tied to the elephant’s neck. Before it could fling her up into the air and onto another luxurious automobile, Jacqueline ran ahead of the beast until she had enough slack in the rope to wrap it around a good sized tree.

The elephant came to a sudden halt as the rope tightened around the tree. The elephant pulled and tugged but soon calmed down once it realized it was tethered once more. The mustache man quickly pulled out a carrot and with a few soothing words had the beast eating right out of his hand.

Curling his mustache between his fingers with a dab of wax from his ears, the mustache man approached Jacqueline and frowns at his brother groaning in agony a few parked cars back.

Zank You for ze azziztance! I vould be honored to ezcort you to supper Mein Fraulien! I vould zeem zat mein Bruder vill not be able to make de rezervation I did for uz.

Jacqueline smiles and does not sense any danger from the mustache man.

Can anyone say Meal Ticket!!
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 1 Mythos Phase

Clues: Tokyo and The Heart of Africa.
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Turn 2 Action Phase (San Francisco)

Rex does some shopping in Chinatown and picks up a few items. Finding a book on Russian Folklore he remembers that his friend Mandy Thompson was interested in that sort of thing. He will mail it to her in Tokyo. He also finds another book, a journal in German, that talks about sea cults in the pacific. It had some rather nasty stuff in it. To round off the day of shopping, a small pistol and some fresh fruit are added to his bags. Quite a haul. His cough returns and he heads back to his hotel to get some rest.

Actions:
1) Acquire Assets using Special Ability.
ImageImageImageImage
Use Wireless Report to send one clue to Mandy

2) Rest
[dice]0[/dice]
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 2 Action Phase, Tokyo

Action 1: Rest Image

[dice]0[/dice]

Mandy asks physicist Hantaro Nagaoka if he knows a consultant radiotherapist? Nagaoka is too polite to delve into her problem, simply referring her to a colleague of his at Tokyo General.

Several hours later she stands before Mifune san trying, and failing, to explain her illness; his English is as dreadful as her Japanese. Exasperated, she hoiks up her skirt and pulls down one stocking, revealing her infected and blistered thigh . . . and, after the application of a most foul smelling ointment, the soreness and red colour recede.

Action 2: Travel to space 19.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 2 Action Phase
With a successful expedition behind him, Harvey sails with the ship back north, docking in Panama City where he relaxes and celebrates his success, and also gets some much needed medical attention.
OOC,Action 1: Travel: Buenos Aires->7 Action 2: Rest Roll to see if Diseased gets discarded (5 or 6): [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Turn 2 Action Phase.

Jacqueline digs through her purse. She barely had enough change for a the martini she would have to buy in order to sit at the bar to talk to these filthy gangsters that had "staked" her medical bill. She sits down at the bar and rubs her temples. What a headache the last few days in San Francisco had been. The bartender snaps her fingers in front of her face.

Hey Lady! Lady!! What'll it be lady? Startled.. Jacqueline's eyes pop open and the bartender frowns.

You gonna get a drink lady? Or maybe you wanna sit and stare at the booze all night?

One martini with four olives please and I'd like to speak to Mr. Muttz thank you.

Your funeral honey! He's in a mood!!

The bartender poured Jacqueline a drink and plopped one olive in the glass. Jacqueline made to argue but quickly silenced herself understanding the position she was in.

A heavyset man soon came out and sat next to poor Jacqueline. She was terrified and could not stop herself from trembling.

Mr.. Mutttz?

What of it?

I believe I owe you a debt... and err.. well.. I was hoping to drop by..

You already dropped by lady!! Uninvited I might add. The boss don't like that.

Yes.. well err.. I.... was hoping I might be able to ah... convince you to release me from my debt..

Mr Muttz looked past Jacqueline and snapped his fingers, causing Jacqueline to wince and continue with her stammering.

Yes.. You see.. I ... I ... well... I'm on a very important mission you see.. and well.. I'm not exactly getting paid...

Jacqueline stopped to realize that she was alone in the bar with Mr. Muttz. Muttz was smiling and nodding along at Jacquelines terrible explanation of her plight.

Yes.... well...

Let me stop you right there lady!! Your the broad from the hospital right?

Yes..

Well.. Marvin Muttz always collects on his debt.. One way.

An even larger ape of a man suddenly seized Jacqueline's shoulders and pressed her face to the bar.

Mr. Muttz gently caressed her chin.

Or another.

Jacqueline tried to scream but Muttz had a hand over her face.

Lady!! You got a pretty mouth...

Hey Lady! Lady!! What'll it be lady?
Startled.. Jacqueline's eyes pop open and the bartender frowns.

You gonna get a drink lady? Or maybe you wanna sit and stare at the booze all night?

Jacqueline put her money back in her purse and shook her head, her face flushed with embarrassment. She turned and ran out of the bar.

I'm getting the hell out of this town!

Spoiler:
Action 1 - Influence to try and get rid of Jacqueline's debt condition
Action 2 - Travel to Space 7

[dice]0[/dice] - Influence check to try and get rid of her debt condition - Fail
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Turn 2 Encounter Phase - San Francisco

Rex drank his coffee in the cool night air of the street side café. His cough still bothered him and his dream had been troubled of late. The young waitress came up and handed him the bill. "skSCit Ultiwax gilbnet ta." she said. Rex gave a short laugh and looked at the girl. "What in the world, young lady?" He stammered. The lady looked around with a shocked look on her face. She held her hand to her throat and crooked. "Flad dim wallze" A great sob followed and she ran away crying. Another waitress came to his table and apologized. The other waitress had been sick lately. Rex paid his bill and walked down the fog filled streets back to his hotel. He passed a bum who sat with a mongrel dog at his feet. He held out a hand. "clan zee yelsichd zister" The bum said. Rex stared and then put a finger in his ear to clear it out. "What...?" Rex started to walk away and a elderly lady carrying some withered flowers approached him. She stared at him with a blank face and said. "lex bin goslke bwsilss" "What the hell was going on?" he thought. He tried to run away but the lady and the bum followed him. Soon there was a group of people muttering gibberish following him. Every time he thought he had giving them the slip they turned up in front of him. One man grabbed him and the mob surrounded him, pressing in. For some reason, Rex remembered a nursery rhyme, and he started to repeat it. The crowed stopped and soon they were repeating the rhyme.
Orange & lemons" say the Bells of St. Clement's
"You owe me five farthings" say the Bells of St. Martin's
"When will you pay me?" say the Bells of Old Bailey
"When I grow rich" say the Bells of Shoreditch
"When will that be?" say the Bells of Stepney
"I do not know" say the Great Bells of Bow
"Here comes a Candle to light you to Bed
Here comes a Chopper to Chop off your Head
Chip chop chip chop - the Last Man's Dead."
Using that as a break, Rex ran off into the fog filled night.

Lore Check - 1
[dice]0[/dice]

Reroll from Lucky Talisman
[dice]1[/dice]
Success!!!
Last edited by Quatermass on Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Jacqueline Turn 2 Encounter Phase

[dice]0[/dice] - Lore check -2 - Fail - spend 1 clue to reroll 1d6 -

[dice]1[/dice] - Fail - spend last clue to reroll 1d6.
[dice]2[/dice] - Fail - Wow!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 2 Encounter Phase
Harvey visits a museum in Panama City with an interesting exhibit on ancient Egypt. On prominent display is an idol made of black stone depicting a Pharaoh in full regalia. "Obsidian, if I'm not mistaken," he says, feeling the surface with his hand. "Yes, I was right."

After Harvey returns to his hotel and is alone in his room, he hears voices whispering in a strange language. Recalling his experience in Buenos Aires, he knows that whatever it says must be very important. "That's a form of Egyptian that hasn't been spoken in thousands of years!" he exclaims, and he soon has it translated. "'The Black Pharaoh, the great Nephren-Ka, will soon return and usher in an age of darkness. Only the strong will survive the transition.' Oh, dear! That can't be good."
OOC,Lore - 1 roll (3 - 1 = 2 dice) to translate the whispers: [dice]0[/dice] Check passed. 1 Clue gained, Strength improved instead of gaining the second Clue.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 2 Encounter Phase, space 19

Mandy's ship berths in Vladivostok. She employs a guide, Sergei, to lead her inland through Asia, her goal being to deal with a rumor named Faded From Society. The rumor ostensibly is about peasant folklore, but, if it comes to fruition, will deny Mandy and her colleagues the means to fight "Evil [that] stirs beneath the sands of Egypt." They are out there, these colleagues or fellow investigators, seeking to prevent the resurrection of the Dark Pharaoh; the unlucky reporter, the Arkham professor and the Minneapolis psychic.

Sergei and Mandy, who is kitted out in furs, detour down to the Amur region, tiger country, to avoid any unwanted soviet questions. In one village, where they rest with a bowl of warm goat's milk, Mandy is intrigued by a circle of stones.

Sergei notes her interest. "It is a calendar, gospozha, for predicting the solstices, so that these peasants know when it's harvest time."

"And that one," says Mandy, pointing at a stone outside the circle.

"A directional marker, a pointer to some kind of holy site."

Mandy scents a mystery. She and Sergei soon find a cave in the woods, it is filled by the frozen remains of the village dead. Shooting up a prayer for her trespass, she ventures deeper inside.

. . . avoid falling down pits Observation 4 [dice]0[/dice]

She carefully steps around an infant--and the cave floor collapses. Mandy lands on her feet, but as her knees concertina she strikes her temple upon a jutting rock.

Jacqueline Fine's ability: Image and she gains 1 Clue.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 2 Mythos Phase

Omen advances: blue constellation [right-hand side].
Reckoning effects: Monsters on game board: ImageImage

Mandy gains: Image

Ancient One sheet: Each investigator may move 1 space toward The Bent Pyramid or lose 1 Sanity.
OOC:   This'll work in our favour?  

Mandy moves to Tunguska.

Ongoing Mythos cards: Faded From Society Rumor: All value 4 Assets discarded. Eldritch token discarded [4 down to 3].

Possessions and Conditions:

Mandy Thompson

Strength test [dice]0[/dice]

Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

[dice]0[/dice]
Success! Discard Cursed
Gain Cursed
Gain 1 Clue

Strength -1
[dice]1[/dice]
Fail. Flip Card

Ancient One Effect: Move to Space 7
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 2 Mythos Phase
Harvey's illness overtakes him, and everything fades. When he wakes up, he finds himself lying in a bed in a cabin aboard a ship.
OOC,Strength - 1 roll (3 - 1 = 2 dice) to withstand Diseased: [dice]0[/dice] Diseased is flipped. [b]Harvey[/b] moves from 7 to 8.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Eldritch Horror”