Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:41 pm
by Tabs

Re: Strange Remnants

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:29 am
by Tabs
Image Image

How do you pronounce it? Siz-ee-gee? And the Prelude card:

Image Image

I'll choose our player order at random, and together we'll choose the Lead Investigator.

Who do you wish to play as? Pick one, or let me do it at random for you? Personally, I'll pick one of the Strange Remnants investigators at random.

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:47 pm
by Quatermass
Edit: I will take a random investigator from the complete set as well.

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:45 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'd like a random investigator, please, but chosen from the complete set of them, not only from the new ones.

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:25 am
by Tabs
@Quatermass

@Mr. Handy

@Tabs

@Everyone, I'll post our starting possessions tomorrow.

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:36 pm
by Tabs
The Well of Sacrifice, Luck roll for Anna Dahl [dice]0[/dice]

2nd Luck [dice]1[/dice]

Improvement check vs. EDU 50 [dice]2[/dice]

[dice]3[/dice]

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:00 pm
by Quatermass
Nice mixture of characters!

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:56 am
by Tabs
@Quatermass, yes, a good mix! I like Norman's Action and passive action; maybe he'll be doing lots of research? :) Here's his Spell:

@Mr. Handy, Tony . . . I wonder how he'll play? His Influence is only 2 so his Action is problematic, I think. But the Handcuffs are cool.

I love the art for Marie. Her Action seems useful but not spectacular; Ritual Dagger is very nice though.

Image Image

The setup rules say to decide on the Lead Investigator before choosing investigators, so I'll nominate myself. Player order will still be random, but we'll wait another day or so to see if DSIGFUSS joins the game before I announce who's next.

@Everyone, new topic opened "Investigator."

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:39 pm
by Tabs
Under the Pyramids expansion:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... -pyramids/

It's coming too soon after Strange Remnants, but I still want it!

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:47 pm
by Tabs
Player Order: Tabs, Mr. Handy, Quatermass.

ImageImage

Image Image

@Everyone, as the Lead Investigator, Marie Lambeau chooses to gain a Dark Pact Condition and a Boon Condition (Blessed).

Image Image

Now, does one or both of you wish to gain an Agreement Condition? If both then I'll decide at random.

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:06 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Hey Guys,

Yeah I'm totally in. My busy raspberry blueberry season is finally over and I'm really looking forward to playing this game. Are we doing one post a day kinda thing? WIth fun narratives like in arkham horror? If you don't mind Tabs or Handy.. could you give me some help at the start. I'll catch up and read the rules in the next couple days but I'm kinda flying blind right now.

I'm reading the rules now actually. Give me a couple hours to sort some stuff out and then I'll be good to go. If its not too late.

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:20 pm
by DSIGFUSS
OK I'd like to play the Politician Charlie Kane.

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:51 pm
by Tabs
Ha ha, you're here! Yeah, just like Arkham, and no probs with any help. Charlie will be the 4th investigator, I'll scan his card and possessions tomorrow. There's a Prelude card and you need to decide if you will gain an Agreement Condition for 1 Boon Condition, so bad (ish) for good, and also this depends on what Mr. Handy and Quatermass want.

One post per day if possible, but respect player order: Tabs, Mr. Handy, Quatermass, DSIGFUSS.

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:48 pm
by Quatermass
I'll pass on the boon if someone wants it.

Just got the expansion so I am setting up the board in my game room. ;)

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:14 am
by Quatermass
I am setting up my board to mirror the game. Are there 2 Personal Assistants? I can only find one that belongs to Charlie Kane.

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:13 pm
by Tabs
Only the one. I've drawn Research Scholar and will add it to the Reserve instead of Personal Assistant.
Sounds cool. Is your game room a spare bedroom or something grander? I'm thinking of those showcased on BGG that take up entire basements, with shelving full of board games.

Images of Charlie Kane and Research Scholar to follow.

Looks like Mr. Handy, on his hols, is having trouble posting.

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:42 pm
by Tabs

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:39 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:
Sounds cool. Is your game room a spare bedroom or something grander? I'm thinking of those showcased on BGG that take up entire basements, with shelving full of board games.
Just a spare table in the 2nd floor game room. Just has a TV and foosball table up there. :D

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:15 am
by DSIGFUSS
Hey guys!!!

Are we started already? Little confused on the start up. Someone point me in the right direction please.

thanks boyos!!

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:23 am
by Tabs
@DSIGFUSS, you only have the base game, right? Well, a new game feature, introduced in Mountains of Madness expansion is Preludes, which is pre-game start card designed to make every game unique. And here is the one for our game:

Image Image

Marie Lambeu (me), Lead Investigator, has gained a Dark Pact Condition and a Boon Condition, therefore everyone needs to decide if they wish to gain an Agreement Condition for the benefit of a Boon Condition. Now Quatermass has already declined it, so you and Mr. Handy must decide, and if you both want to take up the Conditions I will randomly choose between you (4th paragraph on card).

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:29 pm
by Tabs
DSIGFUSS said:
OK I'll try that out. I'll take the Agreement condition if given the chance.
does Mr. Handy want to "put his hat in the rIng" as well? if so I'll randomly decide between you two.

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:56 am
by Tabs

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:32 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back, DSIGFUSS! :D

I'm sorry I haven't posted yet. I haven't had much free time while I was away, there were a couple of site outages at just the wrong time, and once those were resolved I got sick. I still haven't had time to read this thread fully; I just skimmed it. I can't afford to lose 2 Sanity at the outset, as I only start with 5. I might be interested in the Agreement, but I don't know what it entails. Is there a picture of the card?

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:10 pm
by Tabs
@Mr. Handy, it's okay. Whereabouts did you go to?

Doh! I forgot to post an image of the Agreement Condition.

DSIGFUSS may wish to change his mind as well.

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:40 am
by Mr. Handy
I went to Folsom, California with my parents to visit my sister, brother-in-law, and baby niece.

I'd better not take the Agreement with my low Influence, and I don't want the other Boon either. The Agreement looks perfectly suited for Charlie Kane, with his 5 starting Influence (counting the Personal Assistant's +1) and free reroll.

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:15 pm
by Tabs
DSIGFUSS will gain the Agreement Condition (I'll draw and post his Boon Condition tomorrow).

@Quatermass and @Mr. Handy, the final paragraph on the Prelude card, who wishes to lose 2 Sanity and gain a Debt Condition to gain a Boon Condition?

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy
As I said, I don't want it. I only start with 5 Sanity, and I can't afford to lose 2 before the game even begins. Quatermass, you're welcome to it if you want it.

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:15 am
by Tabs
@DSIGFUSS, your Boon Condition:

@Quatermass, decide whether you wish to spend 2 Sanity and gain a Debt Condition to gain a Boon Condition.

Game start. But before I open a new topic for our posts let's discuss the Turn 1 plan of action. State what your Investigator intends for the turn and suggest, if you want to, what the others could do.

@Marie Lambeau, cast Voice of Ra and gain a Focus, Travel to space 17, use her Component Action to Travel to The Himalayas; Expedition Encounter.

@Tony Morgan, gain Focus, Ticket or Travel?

@Norman Withers, Travel to London; spawn Clue tokens?

@Charlie Kane, Aquire Assets or gain Focus, Travel to space 2 (Clue); Research Encounter, hopefully placing an Eldritch token on a Wilderness space (see Mystery below)?

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:49 pm
by Quatermass
I don't want the boon. :D

I think I will travel to London and gain a focus. Then encounter the Mystic Ruins.

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:05 am
by DSIGFUSS
Charlie will be an asset generator for the team. Shipping all these wonderful goodies he's acquired across the globe to help out his fellow investigators. Unfortunately, he's also sleeping with all your wives, daughters and significant others. But that's to be expected from Charlie Kane.

On his first turn, Charlie Kane will use his first action to acquire an asset in San Francisco. Then he will travel to Space 2 for the clue token and the research encounter. His assistant will do most of the heavy lifting, whiskey pouring and opening of limousine doors.

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:46 am
by Mr. Handy
I expect I'll be farming Focus for Clues a lot, but first I need to increase my Influence. Specialized Training could help me with that. If Charlie doesn't buy it for me first, I could try to Acquire Assets and then take a Focus Action. I'd also like to meet up with Norman so he could cast Feed the Mind on me to help increase my Influence. I can get to Arkham with both Actions since I go before him, if he's willing to cast it with one Action instead of gaining Focus and use the other to Travel to London. I also want to start moving towards Istanbul to get some Influence there.

Re: Chat

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:46 am
by Tabs
Unfortunately, he's also sleeping with all your wives, daughters and significant others. But that's to be expected from Charlie Kane.
You realise that includes Marie Lambeau's dead grand-mère? Disgusting!

@DSIGFUSS and @Quatermass, if you wish to help out Mr. Handy (see his comment above), please do so. Tony Morgan with improved Influence will be a great source of Clues. Edit: I just thought that Quatermass may need the Focus for a reroll at Mystic Ruins Encounter?--failure on the tests would be bad!

Game start, new topic named "Strange Remnants" (I've changed this topic). Post in player order, hopefully we'll get a rhythm going and rattle through the turns.

Marie Lambeau, Tony Morgan, Norman Withers, Charlie Kane

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy
I'd better wait to post until I know whether Norman or Charlie are going to try to help me. That'll determine what I do. It wouldn't pay to go to Arkham if Norman isn't going to cast his Spell, and I won't waste time shopping if Charlie is going to try to buy Specialized Training for me.

Norman could also have a regular Location encounter in London this turn to try to spawn Clues, then visit the Mystic Ruins next turn.

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:18 am
by Tabs
It's safe to assume Charlie Kane will buy Tony Morgan Specialized Training Turn 1, I wonder how many successes he'll get? 'cos with 2 or more I'd gain a Debt Condition and buy Urban Guide--a damn fine Asset.

As for Norman Withers casting Feed the Mind . . . if the Spell backfired?

I'll ask.

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:56 am
by Quatermass
If you want I can cast Feed the Mind. I will have 2 dice to try and succeed though. If Tony moves to Arkham then I will.

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:23 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Sure I'll do that. I don't really understand the action though. Could you explain my turn if I were to do that.

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:38 pm
by Quatermass
Ok sorry about that I posted something without figuring out who was who. LOL!

For me to use Feed the Mind, you have to been in the same space as my character. I would rather Charlie gain assests as opposed to using all his actions to move to Arkham.

If Tony wants to move up to Arkham then I would cast Feed the Mind on him. No problem with that.

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:53 am
by Mr. Handy
When Charlie does an Acquire Assets Action, he can distribute his purchases among all of the Investigators. So if he buys Specialized Training as one of them, he could give it to me. He could also use his second Action to give an Action to another Investigator, which means that Norman could still get a Focus Action before the Encounter phase even after casting Feed the Mind and going to London. However, I think he's better off using the second Action to Travel to where he can have a Research Encounter.

Thanks! I'll move to Arkham.

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:40 pm
by Quatermass
Sorry about flipping my Feed the Mind card. :o I thought that It was the same for all of the cards. I will let Tabs do all the flipping from now on! :D

Really excited about the game and it is starting well I think.

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:23 pm
by Tabs
@Quatermass, it's good fun, isn't it?

@DSIGFUSS, Phyllis Ashcroft, P.A., but who's Ollie Spratt? Edit: I just realised that Charlie also gained Research Student, any takers?

Police Assistance added to Reserve.

Image Image

Tomorrow, Marie will have her Expedition Encounter. How about Tony and Norman, Arkham or City Encounter?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:55 pm
by Quatermass
Norman will take a American Encounter please.

As for not moving to London this turn. I would rather get a Focus first and move next turn. Just in case. ;)

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:05 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:@Quatermass, it's good fun, isn't it?

Edit: I just realised that Charlie also gained Research Student, any takers?

?? The Research Student should be in the Reserve I think.

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:32 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tabs wrote:@Quatermass, it's good fun, isn't it?

@DSIGFUSS, Phyllis Ashcroft, P.A., but who's Ollie Spratt? Edit: I just realised that Charlie also gained Research Student, any takers?

Police Assistance added to Reserve.

Image Image

Tomorrow, Marie will have her Expedition Encounter. How about Tony and Norman, Arkham or City Encounter?
Oliver is Charlie's driver. he's just flavor.

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:39 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Why does Charlie get Research assistant as well?

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:02 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks for the Specialized Training! I'll use it next turn.

I'd like an Arkham Encounter, please.

Charlie got a second Influence success from the reroll, so he can gain a second Asset. If Specialized Training is replaced by Police Assistance before you take your second Asset, you could choose that, but I'm not sure what the rules say. Otherwise, the only Asset that does any good (other than the Urban Guide, which costs too much) is the Research Student. I don't need it, as I can just make Clues at will (if I spend the Actions to do so).

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:59 am
by Tabs
Re. 2nd Asset, Research Student, Charlie can buy Assets from the Reserve equal to or less than his successes (2), so Secialized Training and Research Student. Then you refill the Reserve, so Police Assistance is not available to buy in Turn 1.

Rule book p.8: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.c ... lebook.pdf

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:37 am
by Tabs
The new Asset in the Reserve and Research Student (who I've given to Norman):

Image Image

@Tony Morgan

@Norman Withers

New Expedition: The Heart of Africa.

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:36 pm
by Quatermass
I will spend my Focus to get a Incantation Spell.

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:19 pm
by Tabs
Having a Focus can be so useful, lots of encounters require them now. I'll post your Spell and Mr. Handy's (hopefully), as well as DSIGFUSS's encounter later, probably tomorrow.

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:02 am
by Tabs
@Mr. Handy, very cool. I'll show Tony's Twilight Lodge encounter to my teenage son, he (and me) love The Hobbit.

@Tony Morgan

@Norman Withers

@Charlie Kane, his Sea Encounter.

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:41 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thanks! Conjuration could be useful to me later, but right now there's nothing in the Reserve I could use it to acquire. Even so, it'll only be useful when I'm not in a City, as otherwise it's better for me to Acquire Assets. Clairvoyance is a nice one for Norman. He could use that to Encounter the Clue in Space 4. I think he could even do that right now, as it's still the Encounter phase when he gains the Spell.

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:00 pm
by Tabs
No, I don't think so, 'cos Norman would then have had 2 encounters . . . I'll see what I can find out on BGG.

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:22 pm
by Mr. Handy
Yes, you're probably right. In that case, he could still do it next turn.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:03 am
by Mr. Handy
Conjuration would actually be much more useful for Norman than for me, as he only has 1 Influence and can't really buy stuff normally unless he takes on Debt. Of course, trading with him would consume one of our Actions, which may be too high a price to pay right now, especially since there's nothing to conjure from the Reserve at the moment.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:04 pm
by Tabs
@Mr. Handy, I agree. Also Charlie can dish out the goodies from the Reserve.

Norman awoke in the ally. His books strewn about him.
That's a good image, I can picture the Astronomer lying face down in the wet.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:04 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:No, I don't think so, 'cos Norman would then have had 2 encounters . . . I'll see what I can find out on BGG.
Clairvoyance works during the Encounter phase and allows me to encounter a clue anywhere on the board. So that would be my encounter. I would not get two.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:06 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:
That's a good image, I can picture the Astronomer lying face down in the wet.
Thanks I kinda liked it myself. :)

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:06 pm
by DSIGFUSS
OK about to post my research sea encounter. Sorry I wasn't around on the weekend.

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:30 am
by Tabs
Cessabit mare . Comprimi aqua . Festinate et ascendite ad ventos . Cave cancri .
@DSIGFUSS, what does it all mean? Something sea. Something water. . . .

Charlie's Health is poor, must be because of the cigars, whisky and loose women.

Edit: Re. Turn 1, Mythos Phase, Charlie must roll 1d6 because of his Agreement Condition and he may flip Righteous Condition.

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:52 pm
by Quatermass
My plan for Norman's turn 2 is to Rest and Feed the Mind on myself. Then use Clairvoyance on the clue in space 4 as my encounter.

Sound ok?

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:40 am
by DSIGFUSS
Charlie will also plan to rest. He'll use his blessing to gain a focus when he does so. His second turn he will travel to Tokyo.

ooc- If I want this clue token on space two, I have to stay here and have another sea encounter on space 2 right?

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:41 am
by DSIGFUSS
Tabs wrote:
Cessabit mare . Comprimi aqua . Festinate et ascendite ad ventos . Cave cancri .
@DSIGFUSS, what does it all mean? Something sea. Something water. . . .

Charlie's Health is poor, must be because of the cigars, whisky and loose women.

Edit: Re. Turn 1, Mythos Phase, Charlie must roll 1d6 because of his Agreement Condition and he may flip Righteous Condition.
lol... Latin gibberish.. and crab sorcery never mix well with gin hangovers.

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:05 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, that's right, you'd have to stay there for another crack at the Clue. Of course, Norman could try for it from anywhere with his Spell.

My plan is to take a Focus Action (and use Specialized Training), then Travel to London.

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:31 am
by Tabs
@Everyone, yes, sounds good. Charlie Kane, suggestion, Action 1: Rest (Righteous Condition gain 1 Focus), Action 2: Component Action (+1 action to another . . .)?**

Who will be the Lead Investigator Turn 2? Tony Morgan?

@Marie Lambeau, Action 1: Rest, Action 2: Travel to Shanghai.

**Edit: Marie will cast Voice of Ra, that's an extra action, if Charlie decides on using his Component Action choose Tony or Norman.

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:29 am
by Quatermass
Same order as last turn?

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy
I'll be lead investigator if nobody else wants it. I know exactly what I want to do, and I'm in good shape just in case something horrible happens to the lead investigator in the Mythos Phase.

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:35 am
by Tabs
Yes, same order but with Tony Morgan as the Lead Investigator.

Tony Morgan
Norman Withers
Charlie Kane
Marie Lambeau

Charlie's Component Action** (+1 action to another investigator), I'll decide that it goes to 1-3 Tony or 4-6 Norman [dice]0[/dice]

**Just to note that Charlie Kane, stuck out at sea, has limited options. His Component Action, additional action for another investigator, s/be used during Charlie's Action Phase, I think, but (Edit) Norman can use all 3 during his Action Phase.

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:58 pm
by DSIGFUSS
OK... so it does make more sense to go for the clue again and have a research encounter. But I think I have to start beefing Charlie up a bit so I can pass other checks than influence. I might be keeping the next couple assets if they make sense.

So this turn I can give my action to Norman and then rest.

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:18 pm
by Tabs
@DSIGFUSS, yes. Eldritch is very unforgiving, but let's try and stack dice in our favour! If he gained Urban Guide from the Reserve that'd be 1 extra die for any test on a City space. Go to a city and Aquire Assets next turn. Hopefully this turn Charlie will succeed at the Research Encounter. :)

Charlie, by a Rest Action and his Righteous Condition, will gain 1 Focus--a second chance for any test (a die reroll).

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:48 am
by Mr. Handy
Doesn't Norman get his third Action during Charlie's Action phase? That's what Charlie's character sheet seems to say.

I could actually use the third Action to go to Rome and take care of the Byakhee and the Gate. I think that's the better move, as if that Gate is still open when the Omen advances, Doom will advance too. I could use the Focus Action and get a Ship Ticket on my turn, then Travel to Rome on Charlie's turn. I'll wait to see if that's okay before I take my turn, as I'll need to know before I take my second Action.

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:42 am
by Tabs
@Mr. Handy, yes, the additional action s/be used during Charlie's Action Phase, which I acknowledged a few posts back, however does it make a difference to the game? I couldn't think of one, so this being p.b.p. I said for Norman to take all 3 actions at once. Your change of plan for Tony is fine, he can reach Rome with his 2 actions, but I've already decided, randomly, that the extra action goes to Norman (who may need a Focus for the Research Encounter).

Oh, I get it now.

So that's why Tony wants the Focus. (I cannot remember everyone's cards, please frequently post 'em especially when making a point.) In that case I agree.

@Quatermass, okay for the additional action to go to Tony Morgan to defeat the Byakhee?

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:54 am
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:
@Quatermass, okay for the additional action to go to Tony Morgan to defeat the Byakhee?
Fine by me

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy
I'll probably be collecting a lot of Focus tokens anyway, to turn them into Clues and use them in encounters, and I wanted to try to use Specialized Training. No luck there, but maybe next turn. I can also gain the Focus token I spend right back for defeating the Byakhee because of my character's other special ability, so I'll still have one.

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:38 am
by Tabs
The flip side of Norman's Spell:

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:13 pm
by Tabs
Dr. Zimmerman recommends. . . . "Herr Morgan, haz you tried dese smokes?

@Quatermass, no luck with Feed the Mind, but you got rid of the Paranoia Condition which is a good thing! Here's a coincidence, Charlie Kane's P.A. is also called Phyllis. :)

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:36 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote: @Quatermass, no luck with Feed the Mind, but you got rid of the Paranoia Condition which is a good thing! Here's a coincidence, Charlie Kane's P.A. is also called Phyllis. :)
My mistake. Norman's secretary is Mable. I must have gotten Phyliss from reading Charlies post.

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:20 pm
by Tabs
@DSIGFUSS, nice story.

@Tony Morgan

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:39 am
by Tabs
@Mr. Handy, good work by Tony! I've never come across this Tome before, it's a fab one.

@Quatermass, if, if, you don't succeed at Clairvoyance Spell does Norman want an Arkham or City Encounter?

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:00 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Super fun game so far guys. Everyone's characters are fun to read.

I think I'm waiting for my research encounter. But no rush.

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:52 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote: @Quatermass, if, if, you don't succeed at Clairvoyance Spell does Norman want an Arkham or City Encounter?
Arkham please.

NM. I was successful with Clairvoyance spell and will Encounter the Clue in space 4.

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:55 am
by Mr. Handy
Sweet! That book is just what I needed!

Yes, this game is off to a great start, and I'm enjoying reading the story too!

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:55 am
by Tabs
Edit: Clairvoyance Spell flipped. 1-2: The visions are clouded and murky. Roll 1 less die when resolving tests during the Research Encounter.

@Norman Withers' Research Encounter, space 4 (Wilderness):

@Charlie Kane's Research Encounter, space 2 (Sea):

Edit: Charlie already has an Agreement Condition, so he can go farther with the captain and gain the Clue, but he will not gain a second Agreement Condition.

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:25 pm
by Tabs
You have come seeking knowledge? the man says in a voice like ages.
@Quatermass, perfect; although I think that the nearest Wilderness space is space 4 itself?

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:45 pm
by Quatermass
Nearest from Norman or nearest where I got the clue from?

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:33 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tabs wrote:
@Charlie Kane's Research Encounter, space 2 (Sea):

Edit: Charlie already has an Agreement Condition, so he can go farther with the captain and gain the Clue, but he will not gain a second Agreement Condition.
So does this mean that I get two clues and ignore the gain Agreement condition. Just trying to fig out how to put it into words. Also, when do I have to roll for my Agreement condition. I'd check the rules myself but I usually post at work.

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:13 pm
by Tabs
Yes--gain 2 Clues (1 of them goes to the nearest Wilderness space as an Eldritch token [see Mystery above]) and ignore "gain Agreement Condition."

Roll for an Agreement Condition during the Mythos Phase when a Mythos card has a Reckoning effect symbol. I'll prompt you to do so when needed.
Um, the Clue was on space 4, I think that is where the encounter took place . . . Mr. Handy, what do you think?

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:18 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Gracias!!

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:07 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:
Um, the Clue was on space 4, I think that is where the encounter took place . . . Mr. Handy, what do you think?
Your most likely right about that. Space 4 it is.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:59 am
by Mr. Handy
I couldn't find anything on the subject on BGG, but I'd agree that it goes on Space 4. Clairvoyance says to encounter the Clue as if you are on its space.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:50 pm
by DSIGFUSS
I used my second Clue token to place an Eldritch token on Wilderness Space 19 I think.

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:55 am
by Tabs
@DSIGFUSS, yes, that's right, space 19.
Nice Gams!!!
Is that a nautical term? :)

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:28 am
by Tabs
Our plans for Turn 3?

@Marie Lambeau, actions: cast Voice of Ra, gain a Ship Ticket, gain a Focus, Travel to space 19; encounter Cultist and put a stop to the ritual.

Who is to be Lead Investigator?

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:10 pm
by Quatermass
Norman can be first player.

Norman could move to space 4 and face the cultist there or move to London and try and get rid of Relics of Old.

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:43 pm
by Tabs
Norman cannot make it to space 4 this turn because its down an uncharted path, he'd have to Travel from Arkham to space 5 first . . . Marie could make it next turn and she has Ritual Dagger (+2) to deal with a Cultist. I think Norman should rid us of Relics of Old--he has decent Observation . . . perhaps Tony could go to London as well, as a backup, if Norman succeeds Tony could have a Mystic Ruins Encounter?

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:05 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:Norman cannot make it to space 4 this turn because its down an uncharted path, he'd have to Travel from Arkham to space 5 first . . . Marie could make it next turn and she has Ritual Dagger (+2) to deal with a Cultist. I think Norman should rid us of Relics of Old--he has decent Observation . . . perhaps Tony could go to London as well, as a backup, if Norman succeeds Tony could have a Mystic Ruins Encounter?
That sounds good. Should have looked at the board better. ;)

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:21 am
by Mr. Handy
My plan is to take a Focus Action and then Travel to London. I have Observation 4 with Focus to burn, so I'd be best suited to solve the Rumor, in which case maybe I should go first. Norman has Observation 3, so he can try in the event that I fail. If I succeed, he can Encounter the Mystic Ruins or try to spawn a Clue with a London Encounter.

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:47 am
by Tabs
That sounds better, Mr. Handy. Investigator order: Tony, Norman, Charlie and then Marie. I'd suggest that Mr. Handy goes ahead and posts Tony's Action Phase. I'll PM DSIGFUSS to let him know that we're on the Action Phase--it occurred to me that he was waiting on a PM re. Mythos Reckoning. I think Charlie should Travel to Tokyo and Aquire Assets, gain Urban Guide or gain and give Consecration to Norman or Tony.

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:22 am
by DSIGFUSS
Charlie rolled poorly for his acquire assets roll so with only one success he will have to acquire police assistance. What monsters are currently on the board?

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy
According to the Board thread, the only monster is the Giant Penguin in Antarctica, which I believe has a Toughness of 2. I guess it could be arrested. One count of being a giant penguin!

It's only worth taking on Debt if you could get the Urban Guide, but you'd need two successes before you could do that.

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:47 am
by Tabs

@Quatermass, a random ship or was your granddad aboard during WWII?
One count of being a giant penguin!
ImageImage

Charlie gains and discards Police Assistance, Giant Penguin returned to the monster cup, and Lodge Researcher added to the Reserve.

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:38 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:Image

@Quatermass, a random ship or was your granddad aboard during WWII?
Random googled ship. My dad was a marine during WW2. First battle was Iwo Jima.

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:02 pm
by Tabs
@Quatermass, how proud you must be.

@Tony Morgan, Encounter Phase

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:41 am
by Quatermass
Norman will encounter a London Card.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:44 am
by Tabs
@Mr. Handy, well done by Tony.

@Norman Withers, London:

Syzygy Cultist:

Image--Horror 0, Toughness 1

@Charlie Kane, General Encounter (City)--many Tokyo Encounters say to defeat a monster, there are none on the board:

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:50 pm
by Tabs
@Quatermass, that post was really good!

Clue spawned at Antarctica.

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:43 am
by DSIGFUSS
Oh shizzle me timbers. Charlie has a physical encounter. trouble!!

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:00 am
by DSIGFUSS
I added some story text to both my last two posts. So now I just nee my new ally? lol

I'm gonna have a full entourage soon to cater to my whimsical ways.

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy
Nicely done!
Tabs wrote:@Quatermass, that post was really good!

Clue spawned at Antarctica.
Agreed! I just saw that movie a few days ago!

Good thing the penguin got arrested. Of course, the charges are trumped up; polar bears only live in the Arctic, not in Antarctica. :P

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:46 am
by Tabs
Gin hangovers were the worst. Like a pine tree half stuck in your nasal cavity while a midget hammers on your nuts with a side show mallet.
Subtle description is your forte. :)

Charlie's conscience:

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:38 pm
by Quatermass

Spawns a gate, Correct?

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:50 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Ha Ha!! A missionary from the Vatican!! lol This ought to be interesting.

Previously said:   Good thing the penguin got arrested. Of course, the charges are trumped up; polar bears only live in the Arctic, not in Antarctica. :P  
lol No doubt! The elusive Giant Penguins always get the bum wrap!

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:07 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Hey is anyone else having trouble reading their PMs?

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:40 pm
by Tabs
Spawns a gate, Correct?
@Quatermass, it's done now. I'll update the board thread tomorrow. But the big question is "Who is it to be?"

Hey is anyone else having trouble reading their PMs?
@DSIGFUSS, there's been problems with PMs recently, and at the time of your post I couldn't log on.

Charlie's "Broken Deal":

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:50 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:
Spawns a gate, Correct?
@Quatermass, it's done now. I'll update the board thread tomorrow. But the big question is "Who is it to be?"

Damn!! Well does anyone want to volunteer? *starts to sharpen knife*

Looking over the characters. We lose the least with Charlie. :cry:

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:08 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Are allies considered possessions?

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:20 pm
by Tabs
No. Possessions are Clues, tickets, Assets, Artifacts and Spells.

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:20 pm
by Quatermass
What ever yall decide. I am fine with

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:21 pm
by Quatermass
I would much rather kill my own guy than one of yours. Sorry

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:29 pm
by Tabs
I believe you. :) Charlie is the weakest . . . personally I'd roll a d6, 1-2 Tony, 3-4 Charlie, 5-6 Marie. Let's wait for Mr. Handy's opinion.

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:10 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:I believe you. :) Charlie is the weakest . . . personally I'd roll a d6, 1-2 Tony, 3-4 Charlie, 5-6 Marie. Let's wait for Mr. Handy's opinion.
I'm good with rolling

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:46 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ROLL!! :shock: :shock: lol

The wait is killing me. Although if it makes more sense to kill off Charlie then I can go with it. He has a serious addiction problem so it will be easy to explain his devour-ment at the hands of a some dark angry Penguin Lord.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy
It does make more sense to sacrifice someone who is the least useful and close to death anyway, rather than roll and lose someone effective while still risking losing Charlie. We wouldn't want to lose two investigators. Plus, he did offer. Hopefully I can get my Influence up again and get the Urban Guide or the Lodge Researcher (who's a perfect fit for my character) now that I have Funding, but I don't have Charlie's ability to distribute goodies. I'll need to take care of that Shan fast before it starts destroying Clues. Luckily, I can handcuff it.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:18 am
by Quatermass
Well, ok.......

Sorry Charlie. The dark gods need a sacrifice.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:42 am
by Tabs
All that remains of Charlie Kane is a half empty bottle of Tom Collins Mix.

@DSIGFUSS, life goes on, choose a new investigator. :)

Turn 4 plan. Whoever DSIGFUSS chooses, Marie will go to space 4 and encounter the Eldritch token.

NB: we've only got 4 turns left to us before "The Portal Opens!"

I bet that a Mystic Ruins Encounter would grant us more time. . . .

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:42 pm
by Quatermass
Why 4 turns? There should be one Eldritch token on Syzygy and you put one every time the Omen advances to the Red space. We should have 8 turns before the portal opens.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:47 pm
by Tabs
Yes, you're right--I got muddled by the "if 2 Mysteries have been solved" part and "or there are 3 Eldritch tokens . . ." So 8 more turns, and there will be a Rumor card as well.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:46 pm
by Quatermass
Norman could head to 4 to get the Eldritch token (it will take 2 turns to get there) or stay in London and try the Mystic Ruins.

He can also get rid of the Shan if needed.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:01 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Poor Charlie,

I'll write something for him today.

In the mean time. Could you set me up with Diana Stanley the Redeemed Cultist Tabs?

thanks.

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, poor Charlie. :cry: At least he died spectacularly...but he forgot to say "Rosebud"!

I'd better be the one to take care of the Shan. I don't remember the game effects of Physical Resistance, but I imagine that would make fighting it much harder. Fortunately, I have Handcuffs and don't have to fight it to defeat it. However, there's still a good chance I'll lose at least 1 Sanity even with the Cultist's Journal. Without a Clue, I'd risk Doom advancing again. I'd need both Actions to get to The Pyramids, so there's no way I could use my character's Action to get a Clue without Charlie to lend him a third one. Of course, we know that the fourth Mythos card will be a Rumor, and those don't have Reckoning effects. It should be okay to leave the Shan and the Gate where they are for a Turn. I could use my Action to turn my Focus into Clues, then take another Focus Action and stay in London, encountering the Mystic Ruins (or, if they've already been explored by Norman, I could try to spawn another Clue). Then in Turn 5 I could go to the Pyramids.

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:52 am
by Tabs
Charlie smiled back as the chair devoured him.
A fitting end for The Politician.

Image Image

Turn 4 plan.

Here is what I think. Marie go to space 4 and encounter the Eldritch token; Tony and Norman stay in London, Tony has a Mystic Ruins Encounter, Norman has a Research Encounter via Clairvoyance at space 16 (Eldritch token to Tunguska); Diana gains a spell at Buenos Aires?

Mr. Handy is right about the next Mythos card, it's a Rumor, also Tony is best suited to defeat the Shan next turn.

Image Image

Oh, Lead Investigator, Tony again?

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, I'll take the lead again. It sounds like a good plan, but maybe Norman should encounter the Clue on space 18 instead. It's harder to reach space 18 than 16, and the Eldritch token could be placed on The Heart of Africa, which I'll be able to reach from The Pyramids.

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:24 am
by Tabs
Yes, the Clue on space 18 is better than space 16. I was thinking that next turn Marie could encounter an Eldritch token at Tunguska, but she could enter the Gate (green comet) instead.

That was a successful Action Phase for Tony!

Player Order:

Tony, Norman, Diana, Marie.

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:07 pm
by Tabs
And for Norman, too!

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, well done! Maybe you should avoid using the Research Student again until we've placed enough Eldritch tokens on the board to solve the Mystery. Otherwise, we risk losing Clues from the board.

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:26 am
by Tabs
@Mr. Handy, I don't follow your thinking re. Clues and the Research Student.

@Quatermass, I just noted Norman's Component Action (special ability), he may spend 2 Clues to discard 1 monster on a Gate--that would defeat the Shan if needed.

@Marie Lambeau, twice, Turn 1 and Turn 3 (during the Reckoning effect), she's lost 1 Sanity when Voice of Ra was flipped, but her passive ability allows her to lose 1 fewer Sanity. So I've added 2 Sanity to her.

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:11 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Hope everyone had a good weekend. I have a hard time posting on the weekends btw.

So for Diana Stanley's move you think I should be headed to Buenos Aires? Doesn't seem like there is much going on down there though. I was thinking I might e more useful positioning myself so I can do something next turn. Like maybe heading more central in the map. what do you think?

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:41 pm
by Tabs
It's okay, week days are fine.

Diana has high Lore, I'd recommend getting a Spell--she could try Arkham? . . . Wherever you decide for her to go gain a Focus as one of her actions. Get Diana powered-up, there'll be more meaningful encounters for her soon, I'm sure.

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:53 pm
by DSIGFUSS
I'll head to Buenos Aires. Already wrote my post lol. You also mentioned acquiring a spell?

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:58 pm
by Tabs
I like the way you wove Charlie and Diana's story, and that bit about Carl Sanford.

Diana's 2nd action s/be to gain 1 Focus. The Encounter Phase will probably have a Spell as the prize--2 locations on the board are "go to" cities for Spells, Buenos Aires and Arkham.

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

When you use the Research Student, you have to roll. On a 1, the nearest Clue is discarded. That could be really bad for us. Right now we need Clues on the board a lot more than Clues from elsewhere.

While Norman could dispose of the Shan, 2 Clues is a high price to pay for that when I can do it for free next turn. He's better off saving them for something else, such as a monster on a Gate I can't defeat easily.

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:48 am
by Tabs
Yes, I see now. Forgot about the "On a 1, discard the nearest Clue" part.

BTW I have added 1 Focus to Diana's possessions.

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:58 am
by Tabs
Turn 4, Encounter Phase--it doesn't matter in what order we post, does it? We've decided upon the Lead Investigator, and if two investigators gain possessions from the same deck, I'll dish out the cards in player order.

@Tony Morgan, Stonehenge

Humpfh! the Omen is already on the optimum space. The new Mystic Ruins Encounter is at space 7.

@Norman Withers, space 18 (Sea)
If Norman successfully casts Clairvoyance,[img]http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/makken123/art%20649%20-%20Copy%202_zpsalzzlr0f.jpg[/img]
@Diana Stanley, Buenos Aires

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:40 am
by Quatermass
Ok I went ahead and went! Worked out pretty well!

:D

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:11 am
by Tabs
This Ally is so fitting. I wonder how useful his ability will be?

Image Image

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:59 am
by Tabs

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:27 pm
by Quatermass

Oh! What can be inside the Stone Chest! :idea:

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:25 pm
by Tabs
A nice Spell for Diana:

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:32 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Very NICE!!! ZAP!!!

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:43 am
by Tabs
Turn 5 plan.

@Marie Lambeau, gain 2 Focus; encounter Eldritch token space 4.

Image Image

I hoped they'd be useful. Turn 6, Marie could Travel to Arkham, and then with the combo. of Bone Pipes and her Component Action can deal out 4 Health damage per turn without Horror or Combat tests.

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy
That sounds like a solid plan. You're the perfect person to have the Bone Pipes, given your ability to repeat an Action. Without those, our chances in a fight wouldn't be good. I'll get a Ship Ticket and head to The Pyramids to take out the Shan and hopefully the Gate. On Turn 6 I can head to the Heart of Africa and cuff the Cultist to take care of that Eldritch token.

If Norman goes before I do, he could trade with me and pass me the Stone Chest. I'm stronger and have a better chance of opening it, though I won't be taking a Rest Action until the turn after next. He may want to Rest anyway next turn. He could then Travel to Rome and have a Research Encounter. If he goes before me, then he could even put the Eldritch token on The Pyramids so I can Encounter it instead of the Gate. We could have the Mystery solved on Turn 6.

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:52 am
by Tabs
I agree, almost! Norman should keep the Stone Chest and place an Eldritch token on space 10 (Nigeria). Here's what I think: be Lead Investigator, actions: Rest and Travel to Rome, encounter Clue.

Tony, Travel to The Pyramids, defeat Shan and encounter Gate.

Diana, gain a Ship Ticket** and Focus, encounter in Buenos Aires.

**Next turn Travel to space 10 and encounter Eldritch token.

@Quatermass, unless you have radically different ideas, go ahead and post Norman's Action Phase.

Investigator Order: Norman, Diana, Marie, Tony. Like last turn, post whenever you get a chance.

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:43 pm
by Tabs
@Quatermass, I want find out what is in the Stone Chest too! Maybe, use Focus and/or a Clue (spend 1 Sanity instead as per Norman's passive ability) to reroll 1d6?

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:50 pm
by DSIGFUSS
That was close. 7d6 and only rolled two successes. Shan is toast though I think..

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:54 pm
by Tabs
Well done! Saved Tony a Focus, maybe Sanity and a Clue as well. Here is the flip side of Banishment, 1-2: A vision of creatures from alien worlds wracks your mind. Lose 1 Sanity. (I'll amend Diana's stats.) I'm a little upset by the puppy though.

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy
Well, it didn't actually save me a Focus. My special ability gives me one back for defeating the monster, which is automatic with the Handcuffs. I just need to have a Focus to prime the pump. I did avoid losing Sanity and perhaps a Clue, though. And yeah, poor puppy! :cry: I thought Diana was an ex-Cultist!

I think Norman's better off saving his Focus and Clues for the Research Encounter. We want to make sure that Eldritch token gets placed.

I really think it's better to put the Eldritch token on The Pyramids than Space 10. Using the Handcuffs means I can defeat a Cultist automatically (provided another Eldritch token doesn't get added to the Omen track), with a possible Sanity cost I can afford to pay. We just saw that fighting one normally is far from an automatic win. Then next turn I can go to the Heart of Africa and repeat the process. As long as Marie can prevail, we'll have the first Mystery licked.

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:53 am
by Tabs
Yes, you're quite right. I forgot about Tony's passive ability "if you defeat a monster gain a Focus." Also Norman should place the Eldritch token on The Pyramids because Tony will automatically defeat the cultist. And then, if the stars are right, we'll solve the Mystery Turn 6. And on to the 2nd Mystery. (Only 2 need be solved before we flip Syzygy itself.)

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:51 am
by Tabs
@Norman Withers, Rome Research Encounter

@Diana Stanley, Buenos Aires

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:57 am
by Quatermass
Well that Rome encounter is easy. :D

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:58 am
by Tabs
:)

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:07 pm
by Tabs
Diana's Spell:

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:59 am
by Tabs
Well done by Tony! Now, that's 3 Eldritch tokens placed on the 1st Mystery (4 required to solve it).

Turn 6 plan.

Marie Lambeau: Travel to Arkham, cast Voice of Ra and use Bone Pipes on Spinner of Webs; defeat Ghoul and encounter Gate.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:23 pm
by Quatermass
We need to do the reckoning effects for the Web Between Worlds.

I am fine with removing the Eldrich Token for now.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:43 pm
by Tabs
Thanks, good spot. Yes, Eldritch token discarded.

Diana Stanley could cast Banishment and help out Marie with the Ghoul in Arkham, and then encounter the Expedition at The Amazon?

Tony for Lead Investigator?

What's Norman's plan?

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:23 pm
by Quatermass
Where was the Expedition before it got moved to the Amazon?

I think Norman will Feed the Mind and then Rest to try and open the Stone Chest.

Tony is delayed this turn and he just lost 2 Health. Maybe someone else should be first player.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:20 pm
by Tabs
Heart of Africa. Sounds like a good plan. And yes, Lead Investigator s/be someone else, Norman?

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:25 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:Heart of Africa. Sounds like a good plan. And yes, Lead Investigator s/be someone else, Norman?
Sure Norman can be first player.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:54 pm
by Tabs
Cool! I'll post what's inside the Stone Chest tomorrow.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:39 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thanks! It's too bad I got Delayed, but at least I'll be able to encounter the Gate this turn. Losing the 2 Health isn't so bad.

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:00 am
by Tabs
Opening the Stone Chest:

And inside,[img]http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/makken123/art%20654_zps33cj1nny.jpg[/img]

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:56 am
by Quatermass
It's like a Mythos Nesting Doll! ;)

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:03 pm
by Tabs

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:57 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Oh hey,

I got rid of the ghoul. Was that necessary? sanity loss is building... lol. That's fine. I'll rest up next round.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:56 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, it was important. We can't risk Marie going down before she finishes the Spinner of Webs. It wasn't essential that you take out the Shan. I could have handled it; it just might have cost me a little.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:37 am
by Tabs
sanity loss is building... lol
Good news for Diana, Banishment Spell flipped and no Sanity loss (stats amended).

3+: The magic works to great effect. Discard any number of Monsters on that space with a toughness equal to or less than your test result instead.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:02 pm
by Tabs
@Norman Withers. If you'd rather a General (City) Encounter or a Research Encounter just shout.
Rome,[img]http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/makken123/art%20655%20-%20Copy%202_zps7aa7ibdo.jpg[/img]
@Diana Stanley

Next Expedition at The Amazon again.

@Marie Lambeau

@Tony Morgan

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:09 pm
by Tabs
I've never known anyone to get so many improvements as Norman has!

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:12 pm
by Quatermass
Yes and he got three this turn alone.
:P

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:23 pm
by DSIGFUSS
So with this expedition, Do I go through each part 1 by one? If I fail any one of the parts do I stop or go onto the next?

Also I'm assuming no because it says use on a combat encounter, but I'm gonna ask anyways. Can I use wither on the snakes to give me more strength to deal with them when I fight them.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:34 pm
by Quatermass
You do the top part (white background) if you succeed you do the next part (yellow background) if you fail the first part you do the bottom part (the red background).

You would do a Strength test vs the Snakes. I don't think it counts as a Combat Encounter.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:52 pm
by Tabs
Yes, as Quatermass said. Strength test 3d6 and Diana has 1 Focus so she can reroll 1d6.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:36 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Gracias Amigos!!

OK Pass Pass!! :)

For turn 7, you think should Diana should hang around the Amazon and do some more expediting?

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:18 am
by Tabs
@Diana, well done with the Doom. Staying on for another Expedition is probably a good idea, but let's wait and see what misfortune the Mythos card brings.

@Tony (and Marie) have had a lot of bad luck. :(

Will post Mythos Phase tomorrow.

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:07 am
by Tabs
Turn 7 plan.

Marie to Rest twice, cast Voice of Ra and use Bone Pipes on Spinner of Webs; Arkham Encounter.

Lead Investigator?

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:35 pm
by Quatermass
Norman will rest and then move to the Pyramids to try and close the gate. Tony needs to go to the Heart of Africa to collect the Eldritch Token there.

I'll stay first player if that's ok.

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:29 pm
by Tabs
I knew Thomas, Research Student, was a bad 'un, just knew it.

Diana, I'd suggest she gain 1 Focus / cast Banishment / Rest; encounter the Expedition?

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:51 pm
by DSIGFUSS
OK I think Diana will have an easy round in prep for her next expedition. She will focus and rest and contemplate all the terrible things she had done to the puppy population.

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:54 am
by Mr. Handy
My plan is to Focus (so I can use the Handcuffs) and then Travel to the Heart of Africa and finish off the Mystery before the Cultist gets too tough to cuff.

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:02 pm
by Quatermass
I just found the Eldritch Companion app. Check it out.

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:34 pm
by Tabs
Yes, I like it, but it makes me wish for an official app, with art--which is what I love. Now, I'd buy that! Good find, how did you hear of the app?

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:51 pm
by Quatermass
Just checked on a whim. I am playing EH tonight with my friends.

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:56 pm
by Tabs
:) Give us a few stats, like the AO, investigators, and did you win?

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:02 pm
by Quatermass
We played against the Rise of the Elder Things with six players.

We had Leo Anderson the expedition leader, Ursula Downs the explorer, Norman Withers the astronomer, Silas Marsh the sailor, Diana Stanley the redeemed cultist, and Mark Harrigan the solider.

Our prelude card let everyone start with a clue and a focus but there was a accelerated doom track mechanic.

The first mystery required us to go to Lake Camp and make a lore check if successful we needed to spend a clue and discard a ally. We needed to do this six times. So most of us rushed down to the Antarctic. What really helped was Mark Harrigan got a Mi-go Brain Case so we could swap characters and possessions in and out of the Antarctic and the main board. The Crawling Chaos Epic monster appeared in the Himalayas.

The second mystery required us to defeat a Crazed Elder Thing Epic monster in the Miskatonic Camp. But first we needed to find the Alien Device artifact to be able to hurt it. Luckly we found one right away.

The third mystery saw us close three gates which was easy.

We stopped after that but looking at the fourth mystery we could have easily done it in two turns. Though the last mythos card killed two of our characters.

It was very fun.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:34 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Sorry for the late post guys. Busy Monday.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:32 pm
by Tabs
@Quatermass, sounds fun. Last pbp game, we had the same Mystery, the Crazed Elder Thing one, and solved it too--not as tough to solve as it first seemed. :) How does the game play with 6, slow?

Just saw this, it's Marie on piano:

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:45 pm
by Quatermass
Six players a couple where new. It ran pretty smoothly once we did a few turns. 3 - 4 hours or so and had about 2 more turns to do to finish.

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:43 am
by Tabs
@Norman Withers

@Diana Stanley

New expedition at Antarctica.

@Marie Lambeau

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:12 am
by Tabs
Nice turn :) (excepting Marie); Diana gained 2 Clues, together with Norman we have 4 Clues (2 must be spent if there is another Mythos card with a Reckoning effect--to halt the "Web Between Worlds" Rumor); Norman closed the Gate and that prevented the Doom advancing; Tony placed the 4th Eldritch token on the Mystery. It is now solved and the 2nd one is:

Turn 8 plan?

Marie can't do a lot, just flip LiTaS Condition as an encounter.

@DSIGFUSS, now is the time to encounter Mystic Ruins at space 7.

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:39 pm
by Quatermass
Norman can spend a sanity in place of a clue so that should help with the spider. Will my Stone Tablet count for the mystery if it is flipped?

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:47 pm
by Tabs
I forgot about Norman's Clue for Sanity ability, in that case, should we take advantage of it now? And the new Mystery has a set order, Research Encounter first, then spend Clue from that encounter to gain Relic, flip Relic to place Eldritch token, and 4 Eldritch tokens to solve the Mystery.

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:45 pm
by Quatermass
Sure, Norman will spend a clue and sanity to keep that Eldritch Token off the Spider.

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:36 pm
by DSIGFUSS
OK sounds good.

Diana will travel to the Space 7 and then cast Banishment to get rid of the goat spawn in London.

Do we need me to use a clue token or is Norman taking care of all that.

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:23 pm
by Quatermass
Norman can take care of it. Save your clue. Norman is headed to Istanbul and resting.

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy
My reading of the Mystery's text is that flipping the Relic will place an Eldritch token on the Mystery regardless of how you came by that Relic. It's just that Research Encounters provide a sure means of getting Relics, and you were lucky to already have one. If you'd opened the box after the Mystery had been revealed, that would have counted too. Maybe BGG has a thread on the subject.

Since there's no danger of getting two more Reckonings for at least a few turns (two of the next three Mythos cards are green), I don't need to concentrate on Clue farming using Focus. Instead I'll travel to South Africa and go shopping, planning to go to Sydney and have a Research Encounter on Turn 9 (and from there to Antarctica). Note that there is a Clue on the Amazon, where Diana already is. If she moves off to go to space 7, she'd want to go back later to try to get the Clue. Is there a reason not to go for the Clue first?

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:21 am
by Tabs
Hmmm, I'm unsure now about the Mystery and a Relic, I'll ask at BGG: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/20511896#20511896
Note that there is a Clue on the Amazon, where Diana already is. If she moves off to go to space 7, she'd want to go back later to try to get the Clue. Is there a reason not to go for the Clue first?
The Mystic Ruins Encounter at Stonehenge allowed the Omen to be placed anywhere on its track, let's put it back to the red sun because the Omen will advance to the red sun next turn** and Cultists will be scarier and tougher (see below).

**I don't know my left from right because I had the Omen on blue constellation [left hand side]. There have been 7 Mythos cards, 2 were Rumors, therefore Omen blue, red, blue, green and blue

Norman spends a Clue and Sanity to prevent discarding 1 Eldritch token from the "Web Between Worlds" Mystery.

Lead Investigator? And Quatermass and Mr. Handy are correct about the Mystery. :)

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:03 pm
by Quatermass
What about effects of flipping the relic. Do they take place or do you just discard the relic?

I am guessing that I just flip the relic without having to do anything special like a test.

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:21 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Whats the better move then in your guys' opinion. Stay for the clue or circle back for it?

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm
by Tabs
@Quatermass, roll to flip the Relic, as you did ic--that's 1 of 4 Eldritch tokens. :)

@DSIGFUSS, go to space 7, I reckon.

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy
Woohoo! 8-) We're well on our way!

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:36 pm
by Quatermass
Whose turn?

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:42 pm
by Tabs
DSIGFUSS's. I'll check in later on and post Diana's Action Phase if necessary. So what's Norman going to do in Istanbul?

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:39 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote: So what's Norman going to do in Istanbul?
I will try Clairvoyance to do a research encounter and if that doesn't work I will just do a Istanbul encounter.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:15 am
by Tabs
@Norman Withers
Research Encounter,[img]http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/makken123/art%20663%20-%20Copy%202_zpsimv2vhrg.jpg[/img]
@Diana Stanley

New Mystic Ruins at the Great Wall (Shanghai).

@Marie Lambeau

@Everyone, an investigator can only have one particular Condition, Marie already has a Dark Pact so can she choose to gain another as per the above card and place her Investigator token anywhere?

@Tony Morgan

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:27 pm
by Quatermass
Nice! Got two Relic Unique Assets!

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:37 pm
by Tabs
Clairvoyance, 3+: The visions become clear as if you are there in the flesh. No additional effect.

Relic card to follow.

2 Relic Artifacts would be fab, but by rolling a further 2 dice you have effectively rolled 5 dice in total . . . I think you should discount 1 die from the original 3d6, so lose the success? But Norman has 1 Focus, 1 Clue and he can spend a Sanity = 1d6 reroll 3 times if necessary. What do you think?

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:10 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:Clairvoyance, 3+: The visions become clear as if you are there in the flesh. No additional effect.

Relic card to follow.

2 Relic Artifacts would be fab, but by rolling a further 2 dice you have effectively rolled 5 dice in total . . . I think you should discount 1 die from the original 3d6, so lose the success? But Norman has 1 Focus, 1 Clue and he can spend a Sanity = 1d6 reroll 3 times if necessary. What do you think?
If I use a focus would I use the third roll for that or do you want me just to roll again for the focus. Sorry to mess this up. :oops:

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:05 pm
by Tabs
No problem. You could have deleted the original roll and no one would have known! Um, um, I think now that if Norman spends 1 Focus, that pays for the the 3rd die--a success. Let's get Mr. Handy's opinion?

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:40 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:No problem. You could have deleted the original roll and no one would have known! Um, um, I think now that if Norman spends 1 Focus, that pays for the the 3rd die--a success. Let's get Mr. Handy's opinion?
If we are both ok with spending the focus, that should be fine then. If the other players object we can always change it.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:31 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Sorry for the delay. Got pretty sick this weekend. Nasty bug going around.

So Diana's been pretty darn good with her successes lately. Knock on wood.

So I get to move the Omen track. Would it be best to move it to the red sun spot seeing as though any other space on the omen track would cause the doom track to advance. What does it mean that there is an Eldritch Token on the Red Sun?

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:42 pm
by Quatermass
Glad your feeling better.

As to moving the Omen track it says you can move it to a space without advancing the Doom Track.

The Omen token on the Red Sun is part of the Syzygy count down. Its on the Great Old on card.

I would place it on the blue constellation
but it is already there. :cry:

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:22 pm
by Tabs
Let's place the Omen on the red sun. Next time the Omen advances it'll be blue, then green, then blue, and then red--Eldritch token placed on AO card (2nd).

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:54 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:Let's place the Omen on the red sun. Next time the Omen advances it'll be blue, then green, then blue, and then red--Eldritch token placed on AO card (2nd).
That should work. :D

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:50 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Sounds good boyos!!

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy
If you already have a Dark Pact, I'd think that taking another one is not an option, as the rules prohibit it. In that case, you just do what it says if you don't take the Dark Pact. It's too bad. Returning to Arkham would have been perfect. Maybe the new Gate will open there.

I don't understand how you can get two Relic Unique Assets from one Research Encounter. The Mystery says you can discard one Clue you gained from the Research Encounter to gain one Relic Unique Asset.

Spending the Focus for a reroll fixes the mess, as the third die you rolled was a success.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:29 am
by Quatermass
I gained a clue and a Relic from the encounter then spent the clue to get the second Relic.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy
Oh, now I see. Antarctica is a Sea space. I was thinking it was Wilderness! Awesome! 8-) Now we just need one more Relic.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:05 am
by Tabs
If you already have a Dark Pact, I'd think that taking another one is not an option, as the rules prohibit it. In that case, you just do what it says if you don't take the Dark Pact.
Yes, I'm sure you're right, to gain a Dark Pact is not an option because Marie already has one.
. . . Norman awakes in the bed to see a shifting blue light coming from under the door . . .
Nicely done!
"I don't have it with me."
Indiana Jones said the same thing, I don't remember why. And Jacqueline Bauer rings a bell, too. Edit: no, it was Han Solo!

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:52 pm
by Tabs
Turn 8 roundup.

@Norman Withers

Image Image

Text on Stone Calendar, Omen back to green comet.

@Diana Stanley

Omen moved to red sun.

@Marie Lambeau

Gate, Buenos Aires and Mi-go and advance the Omen by 1 (blue constellation [left hand]).

@Tony Morgan

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:33 pm
by DSIGFUSS
OK so turn 9.

Anyone want to give a quick summary on how we're doing? lol And what we need to be focusing on?

For Diana's turn 9 should she be trying to get closer to the Arkham gate or just going back for the Clue in the Amazon?

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:02 am
by Quatermass
We still need the Turn 8 Mythos Phase.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy
Tabs wrote:
If you already have a Dark Pact, I'd think that taking another one is not an option, as the rules prohibit it. In that case, you just do what it says if you don't take the Dark Pact.
Yes, I'm sure you're right, to gain a Dark Pact is not an option because Marie already has one.
. . . Norman awakes in the bed to see a shifting blue light coming from under the door . . .
Nicely done!
"I don't have it with me."
Indiana Jones said the same thing, I don't remember why. And Jacqueline Bauer rings a bell, too. Edit: no, it was Han Solo!
They were both played by Harrison Ford, so it's easy to mix up the two. I hadn't even consciously remembered that he had said it, and I still don't remember the context.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:29 am
by Tabs
skip to 5:30

@DSIGFUSS, @Everyone, quick summary: we're doing well! The AO, Syzygy, requires 2 Mystery cards solved before we flip the AO sheet and do something--I don't know yet--to win. We've solved 1 Mystery and Norman, single handed, is solving the 2nd (4 Relics need be flipped, 1 flipped and Norman possesses 2 more). What we need do is to encounter Clues, so Diana should Travel back to The Amazon.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:34 am
by Tabs
ImageImage

Do we need care about the spawn effect? I reckon we're better saving Clues for rerolls. . . .

@Quatermass, Norman is Lead Investigator, what do you think? In Turn 9 Norman needs to Rest (examine Lost Treasure), Diana and Tony to Travel, which leaves Marie? Now, she was going to Travel back to Arkham in order to continue her fight with Spinner of Webs, but it can wait, can't it?

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:14 pm
by Quatermass
Damn! Rough Mythos Phase.

Ok, Norman is the only one in a city.
Norman encounters the Hunting Horror!!

I think Marie really needs to start hitting the Spinner, so I don't think she should be delayed. I think we should allow the second Eldritch token off the Web Between Worlds. Norman can be delayed I think. Heck he might be delayed anyway because he is in a city. He is flipping the Stone Calander anyway this Mythos phase and he can rest to try and flip the other one next phase. We cannot get all the stuff to solve the Mystery this turn anyway. It can wait a turn I think.Edit!

Ok no Reckoning effect this mythos phase!

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:59 pm
by Tabs
Not yet! No Reckoning effect this Mythos Phase, just a Reckoning symbol on the Mythos card. :)

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:18 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:Not yet! No Reckoning effect this Mythos Phase, just a Reckoning symbol on the Mythos card. :)
Oh! Your right about that. I didnt see that that was a Ongoing Mythos Card!!

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:51 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote: @Quatermass, Norman is Lead Investigator, what do you think? In Turn 9 Norman needs to Rest (examine Lost Treasure), Diana and Tony to Travel, which leaves Marie? Now, she was going to Travel back to Arkham in order to continue her fight with Spinner of Webs, but it can wait, can't it?
We need the Spinner dead so Norman will be delayed other wise it is just sucking our resources. I just need Diana to banish that Hunting Horror before it jumps on me.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:58 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Quatermass wrote:
We need the Spinner dead so Norman will be delayed other wise it is just sucking our resources. I just need Diana to banish that Hunting Horror before it jumps on me.
Sure thing. I'll head back to the Amazon and cast banishment. Where is it though? I can only banish monsters on gates.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:25 pm
by Quatermass
It just spawned at the Tunguska gate. See Mythos Phase Turn 8. With a Reckoning it will move and attack the nearest character which is Norman.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:30 pm
by Tabs
My cards are downstairs, but re. Banishment Spell, it banishes a monster on the Gate nearest to you, which for Diana is Buenos Aires. The Mi-go is worth fighting rather than banishing because when defeated it drops an Artifact.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:41 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:My cards are downstairs, but re. Banishment Spell, it banishes a monster on the Gate nearest to you, which for Diana is Buenos Aires. The Mi-go is worth fighting rather than banishing because when defeated it drops an Artifact.
Oh, I am miss reading stuff all day. :?

Never mind on the Banishment then.

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:52 am
by Mr. Handy
Tabs wrote: skip to 5:30

@DSIGFUSS, @Everyone, quick summary: we're doing well! The AO, Syzygy, requires 2 Mystery cards solved before we flip the AO sheet and do something--I don't know yet--to win. We've solved 1 Mystery and Norman, single handed, is solving the 2nd (4 Relics need be flipped, 1 flipped and Norman possesses 2 more). What we need do is to encounter Clues, so Diana should Travel back to The Amazon.
Once I saw which scene it was, I remembered the line. Skip? I watched the whole thing! And it was great to see that it was the original version. Han shot first!

I should Travel to 17 to try for the new Clue there. That leaves me another Action to Acquire Assets first. I really want that Lodge Researcher. Combined with my Handcuffs, special ability, and Task, that really benefits me when I defeat monsters.

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:18 am
by Tabs
I forgot to advance Doom. :(

Omen advanced to blue constellation. Doom advances 2 (11 down to 9)--that's Gates at London and Buenos Aires.

Turn 8, Mythos Phase

Advance the Omen: green comet. Doom advances 1 (9 down to 8).

ImageImage

We don't want this, if Omen advances to blue that's a further 2 Doom! What I've done is take 1 Clue off Diana and 1 Sanity off Norman--now, Quatermass and DSIGFUSS, shout if you disagree.

Turn 9 plan.

I think we need close the Buenos Aires Gate, otherwise Doom may get out of control. How about Diana Travel to Buenos Aires, Marie use Bone Pipes vs. Mi-go; and then Diana defeating Mi-go (gain 1 Artifact) and close Gate?

I've updated the Board thread for Turn 9.

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:46 pm
by Quatermass
Norman will spend the sanity.

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:10 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Diana will spend 1 clue token as well.

And heading to Buenos Aires. :)

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:47 pm
by Quatermass
Turn 9 Action Phase is up.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:45 am
by Mr. Handy
I'd also forgotten to mention why Jacqueline Bauer is familiar. She was the South African Syndicate Agent that joined forces with Lily Chen in our previous run of Eldritch Horror.

After Marie uses the Bone Pipes to weaken the Mi-Go she can spend two more Actions to get to Arkham, so that next turn she can finish off the Spinner.

Does anyone want to be Lead Investigator? I'll take it if nobody else wants it.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:11 am
by Quatermass
I don't care if you take lead investigator.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:03 pm
by Tabs
Yes, I'll do as you say, Mr. Handy. And yes, be the Lead Investigator, there could be a nasty Mythos card and Norman is too valuable to risk.

Investigator order: Tony, Norman, Diana, Marie.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:46 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'm nothing if not expendable! :) Besides, I'm still in reasonably good shape and able to handle a lot of things. It might be a good idea to move Norman away from the Hunting Horror, in case there's a Reckoning. If he moves onto space 17, I can encounter it instead of him, and he can try for the Clue if I fail to get it.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:20 pm
by Quatermass
Norman is delayed this turn and hopefully not delayed the turn after that. :shock:

Nice turn Tabs!!!

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:09 am
by Tabs
Lodge Researcher replaced by Image

@Quatermass, what do you wish Norman to do? Research, Istanbul, or General City Encounter? And if a Research Encounter via Clairvoyance, which Clue?

Marie will go for an Arkham Encounter, Tony a Research Encounter, and Diana vs. Mi-go and then a Gate Encounter.

@Mr. Handy, Rebecca Waite is a bad 'un, I reckon.

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:49 pm
by Quatermass
Norman will take a Istanbul Encounter

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:23 pm
by Tabs
@Tony Morgan

@Norman Withers

@Diana Stanley

ImageImage--Mi-go -2 Health--and probably a Gate Encounter.

@Marie Lambeau

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:49 pm
by Quatermass
Norman will take a Agreement condition for a random Ally and a Task Unique Asset.

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:57 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Thanks for posting the last one for me Tabs. I've been crazy distracted the last few days. I'll put in some flavor text on Tuesday. I posted my rolls for Wither and blasting that Mi-Go into the dark ages. 8-)

I guess a Gate Encounter is next.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:58 am
by Quatermass
You need to roll versus the sanity loss when fighting the Mi-Go.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:21 am
by Tabs
I've rolled on Diana's behalf for the Horror test, got a 3 on the roll, she's down to 3 Sanity. But she exploded the Mi-go and it dropped this:

And the Other World Encounter:

@Norman Withers

Image Image Image

In the picture of Monster Hunter those spindly towers look like minarets in Istanbul.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:50 pm
by Tabs

I never heard of Seyit Ali Çabuk, he is the perfect Monster Hunter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seyit_%C3%87abuk

Under The Pyramids investigators: http://m.imgur.com/a/0I3pH

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:30 pm
by Quatermass

I think everyone needs to test.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:11 pm
by Tabs
How did I not include Marie and Diana? I'll roll tomorrow. Tony's space 17 is a City though.

Also, it seems as if you've treated Agreement as Blessed--no success for a 4.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:50 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:How did I not include Marie and Diana? I'll roll tomorrow. Tony's space 17 is a City though.

Also, it seems as if you've treated Agreement as Blessed--no success for a 4.
Oh Damn. My brain saw the 4's as successes. Will fix. Dang this changes things. I was hoping to use the Monster Hunter on the Hunting Horror. Now it has 2 health left. :(
Tabs wrote:Turn 9, Mythos Phase

Tony Morgan at space 17 and Norman Withers at Istanbul test Observation.
I just saw Tony and Norman in your post. In fact everyone has to roll Observation. As for Tony I was thinking about named cities but you are right space 17 is one. :D

Tabs thanks for catching my errors.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:30 pm
by Mr. Handy
My Debt card will also need to be flipped.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:44 pm
by Tabs
Turn 10 plan.

Marie will Rest, use Bone Pipes on Spinner of Webs, Rest again; encounter Gate.

Who'll be Lead Investigator?--Diana?

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:25 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Sounds like Diana is delayed this turn right? Sure I'll be lead investigator. :)

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:40 pm
by Quatermass
If Norman moves to 17 with Tony and the Hunting Horror moves to Attack us, who would fight it first?

Great pick up for Tony. Now the Hunting Horror cannot make him go insane with one combat encounter!

My Turn 10 plan is to rest and move to 17 with Tony. Will go for clue during Encounter phase.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:05 pm
by Mr. Handy
Sweet! Now I should be able to handle the Hunting Horror, though Norman may want to use the Monster Hunter to soften it up a little before moving to space 17. It only attacks one of us, but I'll volunteer to be the one.

Diana's Sanity is even lower than mine, though I may lose more if the Hunting Horror comes after me next turn. I could be Lead Investigator again if she prefers (I'm Delayed too).

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:08 pm
by Tabs
Good Mythos story, Mr. Handy. Go ahead and be Lead Investigator, order for Turn 10 is: Tony, Norman, Diana and Marie--however, post when you can.

@DSIGFUSS, there's an action on the Detained Condition, succeed and Diana gets 1 more action, maybe Travel back to The Amazon.

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:32 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:Good Mythos story, Mr. Handy. Go ahead and be Lead Investigator, order for Turn 10 is: Tony, Norman, Diana and Marie--however, post when you can.

@DSIGFUSS, there's an action on the Detained Condition, succeed and Diana gets 1 more action, maybe Travel back to The Amazon.
They are Delayed as well so no action.

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:23 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Hey Tabs,

Could you post the detained condition.

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:26 pm
by Tabs
Yes. :) I'll post Marie's Action Phase tomorrow.

Ignore my comment, DSIGFUSS. Nothing for Diana to do yet. Check out ic thread for card.

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks! Nothing for me to do until the Encounter Phase, when my Detained Condition is flipped.

There won't be a Reckoning this turn if my count is correct, as the last Phase 2 Mythos card is the wrong color for that. However, after this turn all bets are off. Plus, there's always that Mythos card that tells you to draw the next one.

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:53 pm
by Quatermass
Great combo with the Healing Words!

Norman will do a Research Encounter to get the clue at 17.

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:42 pm
by Tabs

@Tony Morgan

@Norman Withers

@Diana Stanley

@Marie Lambeau

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:31 pm
by Quatermass
Poor Norman with all he has been through he might go insane from a lecture. (Crosses fingers)

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:19 am
by Tabs

Image and Professor Rice has another Image

@Tony Morgan

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:01 am
by Tabs
Know roll for Eddie Sharpe [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:15 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:Know roll for Eddie Sharpe [dice]175773:0[/dice]
Wrong Game?

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:32 pm
by Tabs
Yes and no. It's a roll for a game on a different forum, which is new to me and so is its dice roller!

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:19 am
by Tabs
Turn 11 plan?

Marie to flip her LiTaS Condition.

Here's an idea, Norman could Rest, open Stone Chest and examine Lost Treasure, any failures he Trades to Tony? There's already 2 Eldritch tokens on the Mystery.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:09 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:Turn 11 plan?

Marie to flip her LiTaS Condition.

Here's an idea, Norman could Rest, open Stone Chest and examine Lost Treasure, any failures he Trades to Tony? There's already 2 Eldritch tokens on the Mystery.

Norman would have to be lead investigator for him to be able to trade with Tony.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:33 pm
by Tabs
It may be risky for Norman to be Lead Investigator . . . we've nearly solved the Mystery.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:48 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:It may be risky for Norman to be Lead Investigator . . . we've nearly solved the Mystery.
Maybe so. I guess Diana would be a safe First Investigator.

Norman is going to rest and then move to Shanghai.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy
I'll need to Rest, both to heal up and to try to get rid of my Hunger. Then I'll probably go to Shanghai too (to gain Lore; I'll leave the Mystic Ruins for Norman), or I could gain a Focus. EIther way, if the Hunting Horror comes after me, I'll try to finish it off and gain all the goodies that come with doing so.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:25 pm
by Tabs
Marie will be Lead Investigator, she's LiTaS, so no Action Phase. Investigator order: Marie, Tony, Norman and Diana.

@DSIGFUSS, suggestion for Diana's Action Phase, Rest and Travel to The Amazon?

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:41 pm
by Quatermass
Went ahead an posted my action phase as it was not to affect anyone else.

8-) Mystery Solved!

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:48 am
by Tabs
That's all 4 Relics flipped by Norman!

@Quatermass, which encounter for Norman at Shanghai? I wonder if it's the right time for a Mystic Ruins Encounter? Ought we wait until the AO is flipped at the end of the Mythos Phase?

@Tony Morgan

ImageImage

It's lost 2 Health--combat with Norman and the Monster Hunter?

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:10 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:That's all 4 Relics flipped by Norman!

@Quatermass, which encounter for Norman at Shanghai? I wonder if it's the right time for a Mystic Ruins Encounter? Ought we wait until the AO is flipped at the end of the Mythos Phase?

@Tony Morgan

ImageImage

It's lost 2 Health--combat with Norman and the Monster Hunter?
I haven't looked that the flipped Syzygy card so I will do a Shanghai Encounter if you think that is best.

Yes the Hunting Horror has taken 2 Heath damage.

Tony should only gain Health with resting with Hunger. No Sanity gain! Sorry.

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:21 pm
by Tabs
I haven't looked that the flipped Syzygy card so I will do a Shanghai Encounter if you think that is best.

Tony should only gain Health with resting with Hunger. No Sanity gain! Sorry.
I bet the flipped AO card will say do X on a Mystic Ruins space. Good spot re. Hunger Condition.

@ Marie Lambeau

@Tony Morgan
Defeat Hunting Horror,[img]http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/makken123/art%20678%20-%20Copy_zpssk2jfwdr.jpg[/img]
@Norman Withers

@Diana Stanley (Wilderness)

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:50 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, missed that! Luckily I didn't lose any Sanity in either Encounter and gained one from the Lodge Researcher.

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:42 am
by Tabs

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:05 pm
by Tabs
Diving down Norman grasps . . .
For an old fellow, Norman's pretty active. :)
monkey's paw
Is this a reference to something, like an item in a game?

Oops!

ImageImage

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:41 pm
by Quatermass
Tab's

Don't forget about Tony's Purifying the World card. It needs to be flipped.

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy
It says you may flip the card, but you don't have to, and I chose not to flip it. I'll most likely get a bigger benefit if there are more monsters on the card, and I want to at least defeat the Goat Spawn before I flip it.

I hadn't realized that even though I defeated the Hunting Horror, I still took 1 damage from it, so I've corrected that.

That Artifact is awesome! That could help me soften up the Doppleganger so I (or someone else) can beat it in a fight - if I'm lucky enough on the Lore roll.

The monkey's paw is a commonly told story. It's an object that's supposed to grant wishes, but it's cursed: the wishes always have some sort of nasty twist when they come true. In some versions of the story, it's purchased from a shop just like the one in the Encounter. The Simpsons spoofed it in one of their Treehouse of Horror episodes.

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:50 am
by Tabs
Yes, re. Purifying the World, I thought the same as Quatermass when I first came across the card, but the payoff is incremental, for example if one flips with 1 Monster = defeat Monster on game board, 2 Monsters = close Gate, etc.
That Artifact is awesome! That could help me soften up the Doppleganger so I (or someone else) can beat it in a fight - if I'm lucky enough on the Lore roll.
Double team it with Norman. :)

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:49 pm
by Tabs

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:05 pm
by Quatermass
So if I read the AO card correctly every time the omen track advances to the red space the Mystic Ruins gets moved to a new space?

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:06 pm
by Tabs
Yes, and the Omen is on the blue constellation [left-hand] at the moment. Good news is we only need succeed at 2 Sealing the Portal Special Encounters, bad news is Doom is 5--let's not forget Appeal to the Council in the Reserve.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:40 am
by DSIGFUSS
Hey can someone double check my rolls in my last post to make sure I did all that right :)

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:20 am
by Quatermass
DSIGFUSS wrote:Hey can someone double check my rolls in my last post to make sure I did all that right :)
Your special ability reduced the horror of encountered monsters to 1.

The Wendigo imposes a -1 to strength test. Even with the minus you still defeat it but you will take one damage.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:27 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm the only one right now who has the Clues to use Appeal to the Council, but I can't go shopping in Istanbul while the Doppleganger is there. I can try to take care of it next turn using my Artifact to inflict three damage. If that works, I can pick up another Focus with my second Action and then finish it off in a Combat Encounter. If I fail on the Lore roll, it's probably best for me to Travel to Rome instead. Either way, that means I can't Rest next turn.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:44 pm
by Tabs

Turn 12 plan.

Akachi to gain a Ship Ticket and Travel to Buenos Aires; location encounter. Next turn she can move to Easter Island.

@Mr. Handy, I think Tony should try T'tke Halot on the Doppleganger, he is Blessed so has a good chance of success. The Doppleganger may advance Doom and protects the Gate (green comet), which needs closing because the Omen will advance to the green comet space at the end of this turn.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:21 pm
by DSIGFUSS
OK.. well that didn't go that badly then. I need a hunger condition as well I believe.

The Shaman looks sweet. The move through gates power is pretty cool too.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:47 pm
by DSIGFUSS
So for next turn. I was thinking of heading over to Arkham to deal with the madness over there.

Diana could cast a banishment and then use my ship ticket. Get rid of one of the monsters at the Arkham gate and then travel towards Arkham. Next turn do the same thing and then close that sum bitch.

Or maybe there is something else that needs doing?

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy
Yeah, I'll stay in Istanbul and try to take down the Doppleganger. I may want to flip Purifying the World after that, as we might not have enough time for me to hunt the Goat Spawn. If I beat the Doppleganger, I'll try to close the Gate.

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:39 am
by Tabs
@DSIGFUSS, Akachi is a good investigator. We are running out of time; Doom is 5 and potentially our game could be over at the end of this turn--advance Omen to green comet (3 Doom and Monsters may advance Doom as well if there is a Reckoning effect). So we need to get to Easter Island and succeed at 2 Closing the Portal Encounters. So Diana, for all of our sakes (no pressure), must Travel to Easter Island. Travel to Buenos Aires and use a Ship Ticket to Easter Island, and that still leaves her with 1 action.

Akachi can get there next turn. She'll be Lead Investigator for this turn.

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:19 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs,
Can you update the board. I need to know where everything is. Thanks

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:17 pm
by Tabs
Done. Phew! there's an awful lot going on.

I reckon we have 2 turns left before the game ends. If, if, Diana and Akachi can succeed at those Sealing the Portal Encounters, we can win.

@Quatermass, what can Norman do to retreat Doom? I think he should stick around Shanghai or Tokyo in case a Gate opens?

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:42 pm
by Quatermass
Norman can try for Appeal to the Council as I can spend a Sanity in place of a Clue.

Also, Will the Mystic Ruins move after a Sealing the Portal Encounter? I don't know if its like a regular Mystic Ruins encounter.

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:45 pm
by Tabs
Dammit, you're right about the Mystic Ruins moving--returning to the Great Wall would be good news! Norman should try for Appeal to the Council.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm not so sure that the Mystic Ruins move when you have one of those Sealing the Portal special encounters, but I've never seen them before.

Also, I hope the Doom advance from Marie being devoured was already processed and taken into account, or it will drop to 4.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:32 am
by Tabs
Yes, you're right. My mind is punch-drunk from trying to remember too much! The Final Mystery requires 2 Sealing the Portal Encounters on the Mystic Ruins space, so the space will stay at Easter Island. Also, I definitely did not advance Doom when Marie was devoured, Doom is now at 4. And I'm pretty sure I didn't do it when Charlie was devoured--I'll go back and check. :P

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:53 am
by Tabs
Charlie Kane is devoured. Doom advances by 1 (13 down to 12), discard everything of his, and choose a new investigator at the end of the Mythos Phase.
A quote from the Strange Remnants thread. Doom is 4.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:22 pm
by Quatermass
I was going to rest but I am going to move to Space 20 so I can reach the Mystic Ruins next turn just in case.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:44 pm
by Tabs
Excellent work! Doom is back to 5. I'll draw a new card for the Reserve tomorrow.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:40 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Hey Guys. Won't it take longer than 1 turn for Diana to get to Easter Island. Seems like I would have to take a couple turns to travel to space 3 from the Amazon.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:42 pm
by Quatermass
DSIGFUSS wrote:Hey Guys. Won't it take longer than 1 turn for Diana to get to Easter Island. Seems like I would have to take a couple turns to travel to space 3 from the Amazon.
Move to Buenos Aires, spend ship ticket to travel to space 3

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:54 pm
by Tabs
6 dice to use T'tka Halot--success on a 4, 5 or 6, but all rolls 3 or less, that's like 6 coin flips the wrong side up. As Captain Darling, in Blackadder series 4 (WW1), about to go "over the top" and face certain death, wrote in his diary, "Bugger."

ImageImage 1 Health token

Tony has a slim chance in combat, 5 dice for 4 successes on a 4, 5 or 6. . . .

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:31 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Quatermass wrote:
DSIGFUSS wrote:Hey Guys. Won't it take longer than 1 turn for Diana to get to Easter Island. Seems like I would have to take a couple turns to travel to space 3 from the Amazon.
Move to Buenos Aires, spend ship ticket to travel to space 3
My bad... I thought Space 3 was elsewhere!! lol Good old Geography fail.

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:27 pm
by Quatermass
I will take a city encounter.

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy
Yeah, that was extremely bad luck on my part. The dice were taunting me with all of those 3s, as they were just one short of the number I needed. My odds of failing there were 1 in 32.

My chances of finishing off the Doppelganger without having weakened it first are worse than you think. First I have to make the Observation test. While that's a 7/8 chance, you've just seen me fail at something even easier. Then I only have four dice, not five (Strength 3+2 for the Cultist's Journal, then -1 for the Doppelganger), so I have to succeed at every roll to take it down. That's a 1 in 16 chance, but my luck is very streaky. I could always have a run of extremely good luck. If I'm lucky enough to do 3 damage, the Mysterious Idol could finish it if there's a Reckoning. If I do 2 or less, I recommend using it on the Child of the Goat (which can also advance Doom). Actually, that may be the better move if I do 3 damage, I could always stay in Istanbul and try again next turn. It's better to finish it off in a Combat Encounter, which gives me a chance to flip Purifying the World. Maybe it'll retreat Doom or advance the Mystery or something. If the Doppelganger were gone and no other monsters sprang up close enough, I'd have to do a suicide run to Tunguska to take out the two easy monsters there and flip the Task before I get slaughtered.

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:30 pm
by Tabs
I'd have to do a suicide run to Tunguska
No greater love hath man . . .

I forgot about Advance the Mystery. Now that'd be very useful!

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:50 pm
by Tabs
@Akachi Onyele

@Norman Withers

@Diana Stanley

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:23 am
by Tabs

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:39 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Well crap in a bucket!!!

Diana totally crapped out on that one. 5 consecutive fails... Unless I missed something I'm pretty much DEVOURED here boyos!!

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:10 am
by Tabs
Oh dear. Doom is 5 -1 'cos Diana got crisped -3 advance the Omen--Mythos Phase to come, which leaves Doom 1. If there is a Reckoning, the Goat Spawn or Dark Young may advance Doom. I'll draw the card tomorrow. . . .

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:16 am
by Mr. Handy
Yowza, those look like my rolls! :shock:

If the world doesn't end before the next turn, I'd better go to Tunguska just to be certain. If I fail either the Observation roll or the Strength roll against the Doppelganger, I'll be out of luck. I have a much better chance of taking out the Warlock, which will give me the Focus I need to cuff the Goat Spawn and make defeating it a certainty. Flipping the Task with four monsters is even better than three, plus extra bennies for me, but I'll still probably die from the other monsters.

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:38 pm
by Quatermass
Fun game though the bad rolls really hurt us at the end. :D

Thanks to Tabs for keeping track of everything!

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:35 pm
by Tabs
Thanks. I really thought we were gonna win. I'll never voluntarily choose a Dark Pact again, it's just not worth it, especially when a Blessed can evaporate with the first Reckoning. We had some astoundingly bad luck. . . !

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:27 pm
by Quatermass
Yes Dark Pacts are just terrible. Never take them willingly.

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:24 pm
by Quatermass
Played the Fury of Dracula board game from Fantasy Flight last weekend. Great game!

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:07 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Yeah I thought we were going to crush it until a string of bad rolls killed us. Lots of fun though. I miss the cooperative play by post board games on this forum.

Hey anybody have Robinson Crusoe : Adventures on the Cursed Island. I bet that one would be fun to write and play on play by post.

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:05 pm
by Tabs
I played FoD pbp a couple of years ago at BGG. I was Mina Harker, and I remember the Dracula player was really experienced and knew how to wriggle away from us whenever he seemed cornered.

I think Mr. Handy has Crusoe. I've ummd and ahhd about getting it, but decided I didn't want to play it solo.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:47 am
by Mr. Handy
Yeah, we were so close! I was really looking forward to flipping Purifying the World (not to mention the chance of flipping my Blessing) and seeing what was on the other side. That Mythos card's effect would have really helped, and we'd have only needed one more Clue on the Ancient One to win after that.

Dark Pacts are best avoided unless there's no other choice. I took one during the final battle with Shub-Niggurath and its monsters two games ago because I was desperate and the game was about to end one way or the other - and then I rolled like we were rolling here. I only took one in this game to keep Doom from advancing.

I do have Robinson Crusoe. I played it solo once, and it was a lot of fun. I had a good game going for a while and had my route to victory planned out, but then at the end of the ninth turn I had the worst luck with the weather dice. There were five clouds, three of them winter clouds. I had been at half of my health, and I took just enough damage to kill me. :cry: It probably woul be fun to play it play by post, but I can't leave the physical game set up for weeks on end.

I've never played Fury of Dracula, but it sounds like fun. Unfortunately, that one can't be played solo. Mansions of Madness would probably be great to play in this format, but I don't know if anyone else has a copy. I haven't even opened my box yet, as I haven't had time to read the rules and play it.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:23 am
by Tabs
Mr. Morgan's Other World Adventures (with Father Merluzzo and Rebecca). Catchy. :)

I'm gonna get Under the Pyramids for Xmas and plan to do another pbp in January. Anyone interested?

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:28 pm
by Quatermass
You know I am!

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:09 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Yeah count me in too Tabs. That was fun.

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:52 am
by Mr. Handy
Tabs wrote:Mr. Morgan's Other World Adventures (with Father Merluzzo and Rebecca). Catchy. :)
That would be great! Just think of all the strange creatures Tony could eat to try to satisfy his cravings.
Tabs wrote:I'm gonna get Under the Pyramids for Xmas and plan to do another pbp in January. Anyone interested?
I'm definitely up for it!

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:02 am
by Tabs
Great! I'll PM you all at the end of December.

Mr. Handy, can you set-up a sub forum for Strange Remnants?

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:58 am
by Mr. Handy
I just got back, and I don't have time to do it tonight. It'll have to be tomorrow night. I hope I'll remember. If you reply to this post in this thread, I'll see it and that will remind me.

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:00 am
by Tabs
Reminder. Anytime soon is okay.

Tell me a bit about your convention.

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:25 am
by Mr. Handy
I've created the forum here.

The convention was a lot of fun! I got to playtest a bunch of games that are being developed and meet some game designers, including Graham Walmsley.

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:13 am
by Tabs
Thanks.

I just Googled Graham Walmsley, and read a bit about A Taste for Murder--set in an English country house. It'd be fun to try out a more scripted game, like a cross between a rpg and board game.

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy
He also wrote Stealing Cthulhu, and he's posted on Yog-Sothoth.com before (he's GrahamW there).

The LARP he's developing that I helped playtest was also set at an English country house, but it wasn't scripted and was a lot more freeform. It was called "Will That Be All?" There was no murder or Mythosy stuff in it. We all played servants having a party on New Year's Eve prior to the start of 1928, 1931, and 1935 while the family who owned the house was away. There were ten different characters, with some descriptive text about each of them on a small card. I played Reggie, the gardener, who had been 52 when it started and had been there longer than anyone else. Before each act began, we each chose a card from a set of them specific to that act that had to do with our relationship with one of the other characters (who we also selected). The game was about how our relationships grew and changed over time against the backdrop of events that were happening in the world (the onset of the Great Depression, the rise of fascism, and the threat of war). It was really moving, and very reminiscent of Downton Abbey and Upstairs, Downstairs.

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:39 am
by Tabs
That does sound cool. I do enjoy all the below stairs shenanigans of a country house, although weirdly I've never watched Downton Abbey. I watched Gosford Park recently, it's a decent film, and depicts servants and there "betters" excellently.

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy
I saw Gosford Park when it first came out, and again much later on TV. I don't remember it too well, as it's been years since the last time I saw it. I do remember that my parents thought it was too long. One of the people involved in Gosford Park was also behind Downton Abbey. I think it might have been Julian Fellowes.

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:16 am
by Tabs
I can watch Downton for free on Amazon Prime, one evening, when I have nothing to watch, I'll try-out season 1 episode 1.

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:44 pm
by Tabs
We love Downton, and are already halfway through series 2!

ImageImageImageImage

New preview: haven't read it yet, but I thought it looked very intriguing. https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... -together/ When the time comes to play, I'm gonna randomly pick one of the new investigators.

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:40 am
by Tabs

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy
My copy just arrived today! :D If only I had time to play it (and the bazillion other games on my playlist I haven't had a chance to get to yet).

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:02 am
by Tabs
"Jealous" emoticon. Most modern culture is American (if board games can be called culture). I should get my copy next week, but it's to be a gift so I can't open it till Xmas day. On the flip side I've watched series 6 of Downton. We ploughed through 'em all, series 1-6, and really enjoyed it--looking forward to the finale on the 25th.

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:17 pm
by Quatermass
My local game store should get it in next week. Going to ask for it for Christmas.

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:15 am
by Mr. Handy
I won't have time to play it until after then either, and it will actually be next year. I still haven't had a chance to play with Mountains of Madness or Strange Remnants either, except on this board.

I'm looking forward to Season 6 of Downton Abbey too, though we won't see it here until January. I've watched the first five seasons already, so I'm ready for it. It's a shame it's the last season, but it'll still be good to see.

I also saw the new episodes of Luther last night on BBC America, and of course the Doctor Who Christmas special is coming up in about a week.

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:56 am
by Tabs
Under the Pyramids

Here's the Prelude card for our new game:

Turn 1, I shall be Lead Investigator, player #2 and so on will be randomly determined.

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:22 pm
by Quatermass
Very excited for this!

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:32 pm
by Tabs
Me too. I've drawn our investigators, a very cool bunch! Will post Quatermass' cards tomorrow.

ImageImage

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:37 pm
by Tabs

ImageImage

Improve 1 skill of your choice?

Epidemic Pelude card:

ImageImage

Rex is an Asset harvester to be sure, and with Lucky Talisman a test doesn't seem too bad.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:15 pm
by Quatermass
permanently cursed....ouch!

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:14 pm
by Tabs
@Quatermass, it'll be no problem for Rex. :)

@Mr. Handy:

Epidemic Pelude card:

ImageImage

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:17 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:@Quatermass, it'll be no problem for Rex. :)
No. I will take him. It will be a challenge.

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:40 am
by Mr. Handy
Harvey looks awesome! He'll be doing a lot of training other investigators' skills (and possibly his own).

Am i the only one who can't see the picture of Nephren-Ka's sheet?

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:30 am
by Tabs
Harvey's ability is really thematic, lovely; and talking of lovely, you should see who I've got!--I'll post her cards tomorrow.

Nephren-ka's card is a link to FFG. I'll scan it like the others.

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:47 pm
by Tabs

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:26 am
by Quatermass
Rex Murphy is up and ready for action! Cursed and Diseased but ready! :D

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:35 pm
by Tabs
I'm itching to start, too, and so is Mandy (see her Illness)! DSIGFUSS didn't reply to my PM; I'll send another, and wait till Wednesday.

ImageImage

Epidemic Pelude card:

ImageImage

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:14 pm
by Tabs
Heard from DSIGFUSS, I'll pick his inv. tomorrow. Then we'll discuss our plans for Turn 1. :)

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:43 am
by Tabs
@DSIGFUSS

ImageImage

Epidemic Prelude card:

ImageImage

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:29 am
by Tabs
Player order: Tabs, Quatermass, DSIGFUSS and Mr. Handy. Turn 1, Mandy will be Lead Investigator. No need, during the Action or Encounter Phases, to post in order (unless doing so will impact on another player).

Gate at The Amazon, Byakhee spawned; and Clue at space 7 and 16 (see Board thread).

Turn 1 plan (feel free to suggest alternatives).

Mandy Thompson: action 1 spawn Clue, action 2 move to Tokyo or onto a Clue space; encounter at Tokyo (defeat Child of Abhoth :lol:) or a Research Encounter.

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:54 pm
by Quatermass
Rex Murphy
1) Move to San Francisco
2) Gain Dynamite

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:46 am
by Mr. Handy
I think we should reveal the first Mystery before we actually decide what to do, but I'm thinking of getting a Ship Ticket, going to 7, and having a Research Encounter.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:26 am
by Tabs
Doh! the most important thing.

ImageImage

ImageImage

He's a toughie.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:50 pm
by Quatermass
ready to get this game a going!

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:14 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Sweet! The Psychic!!

OK I'm in to win it this time round. Let's beat this thing.

I'll most likely be heading to San Fran then down toward the clue on 7.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:17 pm
by DSIGFUSS
What are those clue tokens on my character card after each asset and condition card?

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy
Each of those Clues was earned with each of those things. You got one Clue with the Asset because you start with one Clue on your Character sheet, and the one with your illness comes from the Prelude. I was planning to go to 7 and get the Clue, as I have a special ability that allows me to increase my skills that way (and then to increase others' skills). You would get no benefit other than the Clue, and you already have two of them. We don't need any Clues for the current Mystery.

Whatever I do, I'm definitely leaving Arkham! We'll need the Dynamite to bring down the Haunter of the Dark, plus a bit more. Of course, we can't even scratch it without the Shining Trapezohedron. Where is the Active Expedition? The board doesn't specify. That's the surest way to find an Artifact, and that's what we need.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:27 am
by Tabs
Expedition at Buenos Aires.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:05 pm
by Tabs
Rex gains Image replaced in the Reserve by Image

@Quatermass, the .18 Derringer is a sweet item--negates his curse on 1 die during Combat Encounters.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:24 pm
by Quatermass
Yeah I should be able to grab three of the one point assists next turn.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:47 am
by Tabs
@Mr. Handy,
I'm too old for her, of course, he thinks
--Harvey, the old goat! It's cool the way that you mentioned Amanda and Leo.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:27 pm
by Tabs
@DSIGFUSS, that was really good. I believed that Jacqueline had been squished, and actually thought, "What the hell . . . ?" Deja vu fits well with a psychic.

I'll flip the Poisoned Condition tomorrow, and post everyone's encounter.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:35 am
by Quatermass
Had to read that twice. Nice going DSIGFUSS! This is going to be so fun.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:22 pm
by Tabs
@DSIGFUSS, Poisoned Condition flipped: Image

San Francisco

@Quatermass, San Francisco

@Mr. Handy, Buenos Aires

(New expedition at The Amazon.)

@Me, Tokyo

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:05 am
by Tabs
@Quatermass, that's perfect for Rex, now he can gain anything from the reserve! . . . I always wanted to learn how to play Go. Nice postcard BTW.

@Mr. Handy, Image--what a fab Artifact. And what a fab start we have made to the game!

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:26 pm
by Quatermass
Does the Shining Trapezohedron affect Epic Monsters?

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:53 pm
by Tabs
Yes--I think. "Monsters" refer to epic and non-epic, otherwise a card will say "non-epic Monsters."

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:02 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:Yes--I think. "Monsters" refer to epic and non-epic, otherwise a card will say "non-epic Monsters."
I just looked it up. Epic Monsters cannot be discarded.

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:34 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, that's right. The only way to defeat an Epic Monster is to deal enough damage to it to equal or exceed its Toughness. Still, we're bound to hit that Agency Quarantine if Rex keeps cycling through the Assets deck. That plus the Dynamite will do the trick, though the Dynamite may soften it up enough. Next turn I'd like to trade the Shining Trapezohedron to whoever is going to go fight the Haunter of the Dark. I'm not very good in a fight, but I may get better if I can improve my Strength and pick up a weapon. If I have a Research Encounter on Space 7, I could increase a skill.

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:07 pm
by Tabs

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:16 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Ha Ha! that is awesome!! I'd love to have something like that for a Call of Cthulhu RPG session. When I make my masterpiece, I will have several rooms like this in my RPG mansion. 8-)

So I got an increase in Observation. Does someone have a +1 observation token scanned that I can put on my Investigator sheet.

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:17 pm
by Quatermass
They are in the Image Bank under Tokens.

viewtopic.php?f=339&t=5486

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:17 am
by DSIGFUSS
Got it!! Thanks Man!!!

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:13 am
by Tabs
@DSIGFUSS, I thought that the mustachioed elephant trainers would be Italian. :) For Jacqueline's Strength test you should have rolled only 1 die, but they were both successes anyway! Here's her Debt Condition: Image

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:55 am
by Tabs
The Rumor is a pain, we risk losing our Assets. :cry:

Mandy is closest, and she has great Observation. I propose that she travel to space 19, then Tunguska, then 16--shit that's still 3 turns. And Jacqueline must trade a Clue with her.

Who'll be Lead Investigator?

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:50 pm
by Quatermass
Rex can use the Wireless Report Asset to give Mandy his Clue.

She can make it in 2 turns with a railroad ticket.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:11 pm
by Tabs
Thanks, and it'll save Jacqueline an action. I can't acquire a Train Ticket in Tokyo because there aren't any train lines to the city. Mandy's actions will be Rest and Travel.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:21 pm
by Quatermass
yes but next turn you can get a train ticket and move 2!

Rex will be Lead Investigator this turn.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:58 am
by Mr. Handy
l would have been Lead Investigator. That would have allowed me to get to 7 and try the Research Encounter first, and still allowed others a crack at it if I failed. It would also have let me trade with anyone who moves there. I plan to go to 7 and use my other Action to read the Ancient Tome and try to get a Task, unless someone wants to go to 7 and trade for the Shining Trapezohedron. If so, please encounter something other than the Clue if you're before me in the turn order.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:15 am
by Tabs
As Harvey benefits greatly from the Clue, we'll agree he has first shot at the Research Encounter. Next turn Rex or Jacqueline could have a skill improved by the Professor? maybe trading of Shining Trapezohedron, and Rex with Holy Spear confronting the Haunter?

I've added a Clue--thanks Rex--to my investigator.

New Assets in the Reserve:

ImageImageImageImage

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:16 am
by Mr. Handy
Sounds like a good plan! Maybe next turn Rex could grab the Holy Spear and either the Newspaper Report or the .45, then Travel to 7. On my turn, I could Trade with him. I'll give him the Shining Trapezohedron, and he might give me some of his lesser Assets (the Newspaper Report is better for someone else, though, as my special ability also requires me to spend the Clue). Then I could train his or Jacqueline's skill.

I decided to try to Rest instead to get rid of my Diseased Condition, as it's likely there's a Reckoning coming up this turn. Failing that, there certainly will be one next turn. However, I still have it. Maybe I can raise my Strength from the Research Encounter.

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:43 pm
by Quatermass
Rex might not be the best one in combat. He is cursed.

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:03 pm
by Tabs
True, but he has the best health; and, after using Dynamite, he'd need one 6 with 7 dice, and Lucky Talisman allows him to re-roll--an unlikely hero, no? :) Do you want a Frisco encounter or a General one?

Edit: Oh! he has the Derringer, which adds 1, so he'd need one 5 or 6 with 14 dice--guaranteed!

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:24 pm
by Quatermass
Frisco please. And ok he will try it! :D

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:43 am
by DSIGFUSS
Man I am not having any luck with my Influence checks. After playing Charlie I think I was spoiled.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:50 am
by Tabs
@Quatermass, San Francisco

Humpf!

@DSIGFUSS, space 7 (City)

Your story, it gave me deja vu when you used deja vu--ha! I wanted to type that. Another good 'un, but can you keep the stories rolling? :)

@Mr. Handy, space 7 (City)

@Me, space 19 (Wilderness)

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:54 pm
by DSIGFUSS
OMG. Tabs!!!! you gave me the influence check on p0urpose didn't you? lol

Sorry! my bad!! It was a lore check. So I'm seeing imaginary Influence checks now... just saying.

I failed my lore check and spent two clue tokens trying to get a tome. Did anyone get any non common conditions last round? Or this round cuz I'm last I might still be able to benefit from it.

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:40 pm
by Tabs
@DSIGFUSS, don't spend Clues on re-rolls, unless we are desperate for a success, they're too valuable for solving Mysteries.

Re. Jacqui's ability, it may well come into play this Mythos Phase, if there's a Reckoning, Mandy'll gain an Illness Condition off Child of Abhoth.

@Quatermass, is that a rhyme from your youth? Did you know it's about London churches?

@Mr. Handy, Harvey is a super investigator.

I'll post Mandy's encounter later, Mythos on Sunday, and then we can discuss Turn 3.

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:48 pm
by Quatermass
I don't know about English churches but my google fu is strong. ;)

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:13 pm
by Tabs
@Quatermass, Nephren-Ka's Reckoning has Rex move to space 7?--from here only 3 stops to The Pyramids. I'll draw a new Cursed and flip Diseased tomorrow. Also his ability says to gain 1 Clue.

@DSIGFUSS, the text effect, re. Spell, will apply to Jacqueline.

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:20 pm
by Quatermass
Roger!

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:14 pm
by Tabs
@Quatermass, Image Image

@Mr. Handy, Image

@DSIGFUSS, Image Image

Jacqueline must discard Flesh Ward or lose 1 Sanity and gain a Madness Condition. And she is moved to space 8 with Harvey.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:54 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm not sure what it means by "impair," but I guess there's a -1 token in the expansion or something. In that case, I'd better choose Influence, as I'll need Strength to keep this from happening again since I still have the Condition.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:43 am
by Quatermass
Impairment tokens make their debut in Under the Pyramids. Like improvement tokens, they alter your strength in a single skill, removing one or two dice from your pool whenever you test that skill, down to a minimum of one. Only by improving the affected skill can you remove the impairment token and return that skill to its original strength. 

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:32 am
by Tabs
ImageImage

Thanks, Quatermass. Image

DSIGFUSS replied to a PM re. the text effect on the Mythos card. I think he chose to discard Flesh Ward.

Let's discuss Turn 3.

Mandy travel to space 16 and Rest.

Who will be Lead Investigator?

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:20 am
by Mr. Handy
I need to spend one Action Resting. If I don't get rid of my Condition, it will lower my skills to nothing. I can use my other Action to train Jacqueline's skill (I suggest Strength) as long as I go before she does. If Rex moves to 8, he can use his second Action to either gain Assets or Trade with me. I think he needs to gain Assets this turn in case there's another Reckoning, because we don't want to lose the Holy Spear. He could then Trade with me the following turn. Alternatively, I can forget about training Jacqueline and just move to 7 and Rest. Then Rex can use both of his Actions for gaining Assets and Trading. On the following turn he can then move to Arkham, use the Dynamite, and confront the Haunter of the Dark.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:28 am
by Tabs
Rex should confront the Haunter ASAP, but he has to travel to space 7 to acquire Assets. Here's an idea: Harvey Rest and gain Ship Ticket; next turn Harvey Trades with Rex, who can Travel to Arkham and use Dynamite. And Jacqueline can Rest or gain Tickets or Focus.

Edit: I got muddled. Rex is at space 7! So Rex acquire Assets and a Ship Ticket; Harvey Rest and Travel to space 7; next turn Harvey Trades first, and then Rex Travels to Arkham and Dynamites the Haunter. :)

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:28 pm
by Tabs
Just checked the revised FAQ: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.c ... 12_web.pdf

The 4 player reference card (p. 10) has changed. Gates up to 2, but Monster Surge is down to 1. So I'll draw another Gate?

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:45 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:Rex should confront the Haunter ASAP, but he has to travel to space 7 to acquire Assets. Here's an idea: Harvey Rest and gain Ship Ticket; next turn Harvey Trades with Rex, who can Travel to Arkham and use Dynamite. And Jacqueline can Rest or gain Tickets or Focus.

Edit: I got muddled. Rex is at space 7! So Rex acquire Assets and a Ship Ticket; Harvey Rest and Travel to space 7; next turn Harvey Trades first, and then Rex Travels to Arkham and Dynamites the Haunter. :)
Right

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:50 pm
by Tabs
Jacqueline Lead Investigator? Post your Action Phase whenever.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:12 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Sorry guys,

I usually post at work cuz I have so much down time but I've been in the freezer sorting raspberries for the past two days. I'm done and will post today for sure.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:16 pm
by Tabs
@DSIGFUSS, I'd move to space 7 and have a party with Rex and Harv.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:29 pm
by DSIGFUSS
If only PARTY was an action. lol 8-)

And I think I'm already on Space 7. Is there any benefit for me to stay here and gain some focus?

Nevermind I'm on 8. Jacqueline will move to 7 then.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:23 am
by Mr. Handy
Rex can use his character's built-in Action anywhere, not just a City space. However, it's probably better that we meet in 7 rather than 8, in case the Reckoning tries to move us away from Arkham. If it happens this turn, moving to 8 will help.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:10 am
by Tabs
Doh! of course. And a Reckoning will drag those on space 8 to Nigeria--so I was right (unknowingly) about moving to space 7. :)

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:10 pm
by Tabs
2nd Gate: The Pyramids [blue constellation] ImageImage

@DSIGFUSS, Poisoned Condition flipped: Image

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:32 am
by Tabs
New items in the Reserve: ImageImage

Shout if you can't see the Expedition Map.

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:33 pm
by Tabs
@DSIGFUSS, City

@Mr. Handy, City

@Quatermass, City

ImageImage

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:00 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:
Shout if you can't see the Expedition Map.
I can't see it.

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:04 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Another influence check eh? lol

Should we maybe pass around some assets while we're still on the same space.

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:09 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Nice! Passed my Influence check. Weapon Please!!

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy
We'll have to trade next turn, as we've used all of our Actions. I could use that .45 in exchange for the Shining Trapezohedron. Rex already has a better weapon for himself, and I'm thinking of going Byakhee hunting - or Werewolf hunting if I get moved to 8.

I couldn't ee the map either.

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:54 pm
by Tabs

@DSIGFUSS, Image

What a fab Turn 3! I'll draw the Mythos card tomorrow.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:08 pm
by Quatermass
Should I give my weapons to Harvey to take on The Haunter in the Dark? I think he would have a better shot at it.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:07 pm
by Tabs
Maybe, but Rex only needs to roll one 5 or 6 with 14 dice, more importantly he is the most healthy.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:10 pm
by Tabs
Ah! Just saw ic. Let's finish Mythos Phase and see what we think's best.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:34 pm
by Quatermass
Ok I did all my Mythos Phase stuff. Have a couple cards that need flipping. I will go after The Haunter so I will need the ST from Harvey.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:03 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Was thinking of heading to the Amazon. Any objections?

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:39 pm
by Tabs
No objections. :) Don't forget the Byakhee must be beaten first, and its toughness is 2 . . . but we do need to close Gates. BTW she must move to space 8 or lose 1 Sanity (AO reckoning).

Turn 4, Mandy will Rest and acquire a Train Ticket, and then have a Research Encounter.

Lead Investigator is Harvey.

Tomorrow I'll post the flipped cards and update the board.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:57 pm
by DSIGFUSS
I think I'll take the sanity loss. I have a sanity of 8.

That Byakhee does sound a little tough for Jacqueline. I would need two hit on a 3d6. Maybe I should gain some more assets before I head into that trouble. I'd like that bodyguard but the influence check will no doubt strangle me.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:52 am
by Mr. Handy
I was actually going to suggest that I take on the Haunter with Rex's weapons (and possibly his Lucky Talisman). I don't think Rex will be able to win. The Haunter of the Dark has 6 Toughness (number of players plus 2), and the Dynamite only does 3 damage. That means we need to inflict 3 more damage to finish it. I have decent Strength, so I'd be the best one to try that even with my low Health (further reduced by 2 because I need to keep both of my items). The Lucky Talisman forces you to reroll all dice, even successes, so if Rex were to get 2 successes, he'd lose them both and have to start over if he used the Talisman. I also have two Clues I can spend if necessary. If I had the Talisman, those dice could be rerolled as well if I fail.

If I do go after the Haunter, I can't be the lead investigator. Rex will need to go before me in order to Trade with me. I'll need one Action to Travel to Arkham and the second to throw the Dynamite.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:41 am
by Tabs
You're right, Mr. Handy. Somehow I was convinced that the Haunter's toughness was 4--wishful thinking! In that case, Harvey should fight the beast.

@DSIGFUSS, I reckon that Jacqui should Travel to Buenos Aires, and try for a Spell. When casting she'll roll 6d6.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:40 pm
by Quatermass
Rex will be Lead so he can trade with Harvey.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:05 pm
by Tabs
Okay. Everyone can post their Turn 4 Action Phase when ready.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:32 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Hey Quartermass and Handy. Is it the best idea to stack an investigator with so many items that provide bonuses for the same thing? Harvey is rolling an 11d6 for combat now which is awesome but is it not better to spread it around? Jacqueline is rolling a 3d6. lol If it is better to stack then sweet. But maybe we should have spread out the toughness bonuses there.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:01 pm
by Quatermass
Don't worry. Rex plans on shopping for everyone. :D

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:10 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Ha Ha! No I'm not worries bout that man. I'm just talking strategy-wise.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:20 pm
by Quatermass
DSIGFUSS wrote:Ha Ha! No I'm not worries bout that man. I'm just talking strategy-wise.
Well we really need the Haunter killed. So that's why the stacking. ;)

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:51 am
by Mr. Handy
Actually, the rules don't allow bonuses of the same type to stack. You only get the largest bonus. My best chance is with the Holy Spear, so Rex should keep the .45 Revolver. The .18 Derringer will help me, as that's a different kind of bonus. I absolutely need the Dynamite, and the Bodyguard will still help me. I can't use his Strength bonus, but his special ability could save my life if I fail to finish off the Haunter.

One thing you didn't offer me that I could really use is the Lucky Talisman. If I botch my roll (and I've done it before on multiple occasions in a previous game), that could make all the difference. You can get it back later, but it would be very helpful to me now, especially since I don't get as many dice as you think (plus I'll probably lose a couple from the Will check).

I'll wait to post my Action Phase until I know which Items I have, but I will Travel to Arkham and use the Dynamite's Action.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 am
by Tabs
Yeah, keep the .45 and trade the Talisman. Also, :) , don't forget that the Werewolf is on your space--hmmm, I'd be tempted to Trade and Travel away. . . .

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:57 pm
by Quatermass
Wow! I didn't know about the stacking rules. :o

Ok, I changed what I traded to what yall wanted.

Oh and the Werewolf would have done 1 Health damage to Rex and Harvey when he moved into Space 8,

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:16 pm
by Tabs
The Werewolf moved before Rex and Harvey, so I reckon they don't lose 1 Health.

Must remember to draw new Assets for the Reserve.

Encounters: Werewolf and then (possibly) Sea for Rex, Buenos Aires for Jacqui, Haunter and then (possibly) Arkham for Harvey, and Research for Mandy. I'll post the cards tomorrow.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:05 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:The Werewolf moved before Rex and Harvey, so I reckon they don't lose 1 Health.
Roger!

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:07 am
by Tabs
Image Image

@DSIGFUSS, Buenos Aires

@Me, space 16

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:10 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Dang! Fail Fail! lol What does the Henry Wilcos Unique asset give you?

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:37 am
by Tabs

I haven't watched Abbott and Costello for years.

Oooh! nearly got him. The Strength penalty for Sanity loss was severe.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:44 am
by Mr. Handy
Yeah, the Sanity loss itself was severe too, and I'm going to have to take it a second time. Fortunately, I only need to do 1 damage next turn, and I have enough Health left to survive a hit. I'll use one Action to Focus. With the second one, I could use my Tome to try for a Clue, but I think that costs me a point of Sanity. That would drop me down to 1. Even if I don't, I'll still be pretty crippled after this, but it has to be done. Well, I need to Rest anyway. Too bad I can't do that with the Haunter around.

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:33 pm
by Tabs
Turn 4 was meh, but I'm confident that Turn 5 will see a change of fortune. :) I think the Rumor is a mild one . . . leave it to run it's course?

Turn 5 plan.

Mandy to Rest, Focus, and Research Encounter.

Lead Investigator?

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:44 pm
by Quatermass
I think Rex will grab some more assets and focus. Then try and finish off the Werewolf.

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:35 am
by Mr. Handy
Yeah, I don't think we can do much about that Rumor before it's too late anyway. In that case, I'll Focus and then take my chances using the Ancient Tome to get a Task, as a Clue might not stick around long and I think I have enough rerolls. I'd better not be lead investigator, as I'll be nearly dead and insane after this fight.

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:54 pm
by Tabs
Mandy is Lead Investigator.

@DSIGFUSS, I'd recommend she stay at Buenos Aires.

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:44 pm
by Quatermass
Heck yes! Pandemic Reign of Cthulhu!

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2866737 ... gn-cthulhu

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:51 am
by DSIGFUSS
I'll be needing a madness condition there Tabs. :)

I think I'll stay here and hope for a spell.

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:03 pm
by Tabs
@Quatermass, intriguing, can't wait to see more.

@DSIGFUSS, Madness Condition coming . . .

@Mr. Handy, good thinking.

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:49 pm
by Tabs

@DSIGFUSS, you may want to Rest? . . .

New Reserve Assets:

ImageImage

Encounter Phase

Buenos Aires
Spoiler:
Space 16, (City)

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:17 pm
by Tabs

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:05 am
by Tabs
Oh man, a 4 would have finished the Haunter. Maybe Rex can do it after all?

Well done with the werewolf BTW. Sea encounter to follow.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:14 pm
by Tabs
Space 8 (Sea)

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:56 pm
by Quatermass
Dang that cursed condition hurts.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:02 pm
by Tabs
:( Token image up tomorrow.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy
That was agonizing. I thought it was a good idea to flush out the Warlock, but it ended up using my Focus and the Lucky Talisman just to avoid losing a Sanity and Health (which would have put me at risk of dying in the fight with the Haunter). I thought I could still win, as I had a better than 7/8 chance even without those, but you know how streaky my luck is.

Yeah, Rex is probably the best choice to take down the Haunter. If there's no Reckoning, I don't have to be lead investigator as long as he goes before me. He can Travel to Arkham and Trade with me, then I can Travel to London and Rest. If there is a Reckoning, I'll have to move to 8 and he can move to 10. Then I'll Travel to 10 and Rest, and he can Trade with me and Travel to Arkham (using a Ship Ticket). I'll give him back the Holy Spear, Derringer, and Lucky Talisman in exchange for the .45 Revolver and anything else he doesn't need.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:21 pm
by Tabs

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:37 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:Image
I had a +1 will token so I just removed it.

Ok Rex will try the Haunter next turn. :shock:

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:45 pm
by Tabs

Hmmm, not a very good Spell.

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:14 pm
by Tabs
@Quatermass,
ImageImage

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:06 pm
by Quatermass
Rex's mythos phase is done. Child of the Goat killed though it did hurt me a bit.
Rex is staying in Space 8 so Harvey can move to 8 as well because of the Nephren-Ka reckoning.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:21 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Hey Tabs,

I need a monster for the ambushing and the hey hey...

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:50 pm
by Tabs
@DSIGFUSS, ImageImage

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:36 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Well I defeated the skeleton but failed a 6d6 reckoning for my Azure Fame spell. What happens to it again after a reckoning effect?

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:35 pm
by Quatermass
You didn't roll your will check versus the Skeleton and the Skeleton has 2 health. It is still alive.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:23 pm
by Tabs
@Mr. Handy, Image

Image--space 13 ImageImage

@Me, Image

ImageImage

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:34 pm
by Tabs
Turn 6 plan.

Mark Harrigan's actions: gain a Train Ticket and Travel to Istanbul. And encounter Mandy--try to negate 1 Doom. Like Harvey, Mandy's Health and Sanity dropped to 0 together, therefore do I choose one of these to encounter (reverse of Mandy's sheet)?

Player Order: Mark Harrigan, Rex Murpy, Jacqueline Fine, and Finn Edwards.

Who is to be Lead Investigator?

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:56 pm
by DSIGFUSS
sorry Tabs... very distracted this week.

I'll make the rolls and edit post

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy
That's something we need to check in the rules, as it may change our plans. If it's not there (though it should be), BoardGameGeek should have the answer. I hope it doesn't mean that we've been devoured, or all of our stuff could be lost, including the Shining Trapezohedron. Then someone would have to go find another one before we can finish off the Haunter.

I don't mind being Lead Investigator if nobody else wants it. My plan is to go to London and try to take care of the Gate, then head for space 13 the following turn. Rex should encouner Harvey before moving to Arkham, if he can still encounter him.

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:49 am
by Tabs
Defeated and we choose Health or Sanity. Mark's plan stays as stated (Mandy has a Health token placed upon her marker).

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/152 ... 0-together

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:32 am
by Mr. Handy
That's a relief. We should choose whichever option for Harvey is better for Rex. He has much better Influence than Lore, so I'd go with insanity.

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:41 pm
by Tabs
Finn to be Lead Investigator.

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:55 pm
by Quatermass
Once Harvey is defeated his body and possessions would have relocated to the nearest city. We should move it to Space 7 because if it goes to Arkham then we would never be able to defeat the Haunter.

Rex will move to 7 to Encounter Harvey.

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:45 pm
by Tabs
You're right. A FAQ deals with our situation--Haunter sitting atop the Shining Trapezohedron. It says that for this Epic Monster one can have an encounter. But Rex may want to Rest . . . you decide, Quatermass, Arkham or space 7.

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:20 pm
by Quatermass
Space 7 I think. If there is a reckoning I can move to 8 again or I can use my ship ticket to get to Arkham in one move.

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy
I didn't know there was a rule saying you can't encounter a defeated investigator if there's a monster on the same space. In any case, I think it's better to Travel to Arkham and encounter Harvey this turn, then face the Haunter. With the 2 Health and 5 Sanity you had before Resting, it will be enough. The most Sanity you can lose is 3, and the most Health you'll lose is 1 even if you botch, with either the Fishing Net or the Bodyguard. The Haunter's defeat has been delayed far too long already, and Nephren-Ka will wake up soon. If we don't solve the Mysteries fast, we're all doomed. Waiting another turn could be too costly.

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:27 am
by Tabs
I'm unsure now. What I thought was that one fights monsters first, and then has an encounter (excepting the Haunter, where one can go ahead and have an encounter). But, anyway, one cannot encounter a defeated investigator and afterwards fight a monster? . . .

Either way, it seems we are doomed.

Ruby is a great muse!

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy
No, you were right, I was confused. I'd thought it was an Action to meet a defeated Investigator, but it's an Encounter.

Thanks! Ruby Standish is a reference one of the Arkham Horror Allies, a cat burglar. She even has the same picture.

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:33 am
by Tabs
@Quatermass, in case of insanity:

@Me, in case of crippling injury:

@Mr. Handy,

@DSIGFUSS,

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:07 pm
by Quatermass
DSIGFUSS needs to do his Action Phase

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:07 pm
by Tabs
Oh yeah! Okay, 1 Focus and a Ship Ticket for Jacqui.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:31 am
by Tabs
@Quatermass, nicely done. Rex must be weighed down by all of those Assets?

@Mr. Handy, Gate closed, dare we hope? Now, if Mark can only retreat Doom . . .

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:33 am
by Tabs
DSIGFUSS has bowed out, so I'll take-over Jacqueline.

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:46 pm
by Quatermass
Rex will spend a clue to get a Boon Condition.

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:47 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:@Quatermass, nicely done. Rex must be weighed down by all of those Assets?
I feel like Santa Claus with my bag of presents.

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:53 pm
by Tabs
It's a Blessed! I'll draw a new Cursed, therefore Rex improves a skill and gains 1 Clue.

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:03 pm
by Tabs
Turn 7 plan.

Mark to Travel to The Pyramids, use ability on Vampire; combat Vampire and close Gate--easy!

Jacqueline to "psychic" 1 Clue to Mark and Travel to The Amazon; combat Byakhee and close Gate.

Lead Investigator?

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:21 pm
by Quatermass
Rex will head to Arkham to face the Haunter and try and close that gate.

And improve Will with Curse change out.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy
I can be Lead Investigator. I'm at full strength, and what I'm doing isn't all that important in case the next Mythos card does something nasty to me. I'll acquire a Ship Ticket (in preparation for the following turn) and move to 13 to complete my Courier Run.

Rex gets two Actions, so he can do something else before he Travels to Arkham (such as Rest again, or gain more Assets).

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:48 pm
by Tabs
Well done Rex--he rolls 6s like Mark rolls 1s.

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:11 pm
by Tabs
@Mr. Handy, (sea)

@Me, (Mark in Yuggoth)

@Quatermass,

@Me, (Jacqueline in The Dreamlands)

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:28 pm
by Quatermass
Well damn!

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:15 pm
by Tabs
Image Image

and the reserve:

ImageImageImageImage

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:06 pm
by Tabs
Just checked the revised reference cards. The original still apply, the revised cards are for easier or harder games, not replacements as I thought. Therefore 2 Gates spawned is the more challenging option!

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.c ... -01-19.pdf --p.10

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:51 am
by Mr. Handy
The game's hard enough as it is! Let's just stick with 1 Gate.

I'll take Consecration. I don't have time tonight, as I'm still catching up, but I should be able to write things up tomorrow night.

Jacqueline should spend 1 fewer Clue, as you can choose to spend one at a time and only spend one if previous rolls have failed. After that first success, she doesn't need another.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:17 am
by Tabs
I agree. I'll double check the original reference cards, but I believe it is 2 Monster Surges instead of 2 Gates.

The "Clues" thing was 'cos the card said roll 1 extra die for each Clue you have.

Look forward to your write-up.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:36 pm
by Tabs
Consecration replaced by: Image--a good 'un!

Finn is Blessed. Image

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:25 am
by Mr. Handy
Nice! I still don't have time, but hopefully tomorrow night.

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:10 pm
by Quatermass
Don't forget that the Haunter has been defeated

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:34 pm
by Tabs
Yep. New Mystery at the end of this phase.

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:00 am
by Mr. Handy
I still don't have time for a writeup, but I should later this weekend. I'll gladly take the free move to London. Can I flip Funding as well, or does the move come afterwards?

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:30 am
by Tabs
@Mr. Handy, only do it if you feel like it. :) Yes, Finn moves to London before Possessions and Conditions are addressed, so I'll flip Funding. Don't forget Leg Injury and Blessed.

@Quatermass, will Rex spend 1 Sanity or be pulled towards the Bent Pyramid?

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:23 pm
by Quatermass
Rex will spend a Sanity to stay in Arkham.

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:56 am
by Mr. Handy
I certainly do feel like it, I just haven't had time. First I was away at the convention, and after I came back I had to go right back to work. I've had little time to catch up during the week and also little sleep. I won't have time tonight either, but I expect I will tomorrow.

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:13 am
by Tabs
@Everyone, I've done some reading re. the Reference cards and am sure that I've made our 4 player game extra tough by spawning 2 Gates per symbol on the Mythos Card. Of the 6 cards so far (I have not spawned the Gate yet for the 7th card), 2 were Rumors, 1 green, and 3 yellow = 6 Gates, how about adding back 3 Doom?

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:04 pm
by Quatermass
I am fine with that. It has been extremely hard game so far.

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:41 pm
by Tabs
http://www.ungeek.ph/2016/02/exclusive- ... f-cthulhu/

It looks cool. So long as the game doesn't stink I'd want to get this and maybe play it here? . . .

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:49 pm
by Tabs
Funding flipped: Image

And the new investigator is . . .

Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:04 am
by Mr. Handy
I've edited both my Encounter and Mythos Phase posts. I got a 6 on my Funding roll and used it to get the Intelligence Report for 2 Clues. They're about to go away, but we can use them immediately. Next turn I can Rest, then Travel to the Bent Pyramid. Then Mark can Trade with me and take another Action. I'll give him one of my Clues, and maybe he could give me something. Then we can both have Encounters and try to advance the Mystery (and maybe get some Artifacts to boot).

I'm fine with retreating Doom. If anything, we may have lost more than 3, depending on when those extra Gates were added.

Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:20 am
by Tabs
I'll add back 3 Doom, now it is 7.

Well done with the story, it was worth the wait. I did smile to myself when I read "Lady Summerisle." The Wicker Man is a great film, I think, way ahead of its time, very dark and dangerous.

Good thinking about the Clues.

Turn 8 plan.

Mark to Focus and Rest; and have an encounter in Tel el-Amarna, gain Clue, and start solving the Mystery. Edit--I didn't realise that Finn can make it to the Bent Pyramid this turn. Mark to Focus and Trade with Finn at the Bent Pyramid, a Clue for the .38 and Know Thy Enemy?

Charlie to Travel to space 7; encounter Jacqueline. That's only 1 action, Rex or Finn may use a 3rd? . . . Use his ability to Acquire Assets and send the Colt Pocket to Mark?

Lead Investigator? Charlie?

Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:52 pm
by Quatermass
Rex is going to rest and then try and get rid of the Star Spawn using the Shining Trap.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:16 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, Tabs! There's also a Pulp Fiction reference in there.

I'll Focus too instead of Resting. That will give us a much better chance of beating those Cutlists with our low Lore.

I should also give Mark the Whiskey, since he has less maximum Sanity and could use it more. I'll gladly take the .38 and Know Thy Enemy.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:05 am
by Tabs
@Mr. Handy, what is the Pulp Fiction reference--it's been years since I watched it? Whisky would be most welcome.

@Quatermass, good thinking re. Star Spawn, and I presume Rex is going for the Gate? There is a chance that the monster will be dragged to Arkham. How about allowing Nephren-Ka pull Rex towards the Bent Pyramid, and add back 1 Sanity, then use the Trapezohedron, and Travel to Arkham? AND use a 3rd action, courtesy of Charlie, and acquire Lavish Feast?

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:38 pm
by Quatermass
Rex could get pulled to London so Finn can trade with him? Rex would have to go before Finn though and the Star Spawn could get pulled to London.

Otherwise losing the Sanity to stay in Arkham to try and close the gate is not a big deal. I am resting anyway.

I think Mandy could use the Feast.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:23 pm
by Tabs
Mandy is long dead, feasting is no good to her! How about trading in London with Finn (Rex using Charlie's action), before Finn moves to the Bent Pyramid to meet-up with Mark as planned?

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:21 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:Mandy is long dead, feasting is no good to her! How about trading in London with Finn (Rex using Charlie's action), before Finn moves to the Bent Pyramid to meet-up with Mark as planned?
LOL sorry about that! I was just looking at the investigators and saw Mandy at 2 Sanity and 2 Health. My Bad.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:24 pm
by Quatermass
Tabs wrote:Mandy is long dead, feasting is no good to her! How about trading in London with Finn (Rex using Charlie's action), before Finn moves to the Bent Pyramid to meet-up with Mark as planned?
Ok that sounds good. Rex will get pulled to London and then Rest and Trade with Finn. Charlie will give me a Action to use the ST.

What does Finn want in the trade?

Rex as lead?

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:32 pm
by Tabs
Best have Mark as Lead in case of a nasty Mythos card.

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:56 am
by Mr. Handy
The problem with Mark going first is that I need to go before him, unless Charlie gives me a third Action. I absolutely have to spend an Action to Focus so that I have more than a 50% chance to defeat the Cultist and advance the Mystery. I'd be willing to go first, and I'm in decent shape in case the Mythos card does something bad.

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:07 pm
by Tabs
Um, um, Rex to be moved to London and to forget about trading. Charlie to be Lead Investigator, order is: Charlie, Finn, Mark and then Rex. Charlie to Travel to space 7 and give 1 action to Rex; Finn to Focus and Travel to the Bent Pyramid; Mark to Focus and Trade; and Rex to use ability (acquire Lavish Feast), use ST on Star Spawn and then Travel to Arkham.

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:38 pm
by Tabs
@Quatermass, by staying in London with the Star Spawn it'll probably kill Rex, Image Doom will go down, and there's the Gate to close in Arkham.

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:42 pm
by Quatermass
I have two items that reduce the attack of monsters. So at most Rex can take 1 health damage if I botch my combat roll.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy
It's a shame you couldn't make that trade. We could sure use that Arcane Scholar to help us hunt Cultists in Egypt to solve the Mystery. Maybe you can come to Egypt yourself next turn.

I'd forgotten to mention what the Pulp Fiction reference was: the mysterious case of which the viewers never get to see the contents. Some of the dialogue about it was lifted directly from the movie.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:37 am
by Tabs
Never heard of Jon Stock before but I guessed he'd be something to do with MI6. You into spy novels, Mr. Handy?

@Me (Charlie)

(New scanner on its way.)

@Mr. Handy, The Bent Pyramid

Sneferu's funerary chamber appears empty, but you search the area (Observation -1). If you pass, you discover a hidden panel; gain 1 Artifact. If you fail, you are suddenly aware that this room no longer has an exit, and you must dig to freedom; gain a Back Injury Condition.

@Me, Mark at The Bent Pyramid

Small hieroglyphics are inscribed throughout the pyramid. You try to find them all (Observation). If you pass, they direct you to a lost treasure; gain 1 Relic Unique Asset. If you fail, you start to see the symbols everywhere you go; gain a Paranoia Condition.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:12 pm
by Quatermass
Mr. Handy wrote:It's a shame you couldn't make that trade. We could sure use that Arcane Scholar to help us hunt Cultists in Egypt to solve the Mystery. Maybe you can come to Egypt yourself next turn.
Well Damn!!! We should have had Rex go before Finn then. I wasn't sure about the turn order. I will redo my turn then.

Rex will spend a Sanity to stay in Arkham.

Turn redone.

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:55 am
by Mr. Handy
John Stock is just a modified version of James Bond's name. Bond is actually with the Secret Service rather than MI6, I believe. I have read some spy novels (including the odd James Bond novel as well as John Le Carre and Len Deighton), but it's been a while.

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:19 pm
by Tabs

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:11 pm
by Quatermass
That went much better than I though against the Star Spawn.

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:45 pm
by Tabs
For a moment I thought Rex had beaten it!

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:24 pm
by Quatermass
But I put a lot of hurt on it. Should finish it next turn.

Nice going with the Cultist!

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:29 pm
by Tabs
The Star Spawn is ridiculously tough. Thanks from Mark BTW.

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy
That was impressive! Well done, both of you! 8-)

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:34 am
by Tabs
Well done to everyone. :) :) :)

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:34 am
by Mr. Handy
Next turn we should go to Tel al-Amarna (a free local move not requiring an Action) so we can hopefully get Clues in Encounters there, then spend them to hunt more Cultists and finish the Mystery.

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:42 am
by Tabs
Roger that. Rex and Charlie should cycle through the Asset deck, searching for items which retreat Doom; here's the latest Reserve:

ImageImageImageImage

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:46 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'll have to take the 2 damage, since I can't afford to be Delayed. If I'd known I'd botch the Strength check and what was on the flip side of my Leg Injury, I'd have taken Sanity loss instead of Health from the Cultist, so from now on I'll have to take Sanity losses. I should be okay as long as I Rest each turn, especially as we're due for a non-Reckoning Mythos card, but I can't risk being Lead Investigator. I'll also Focus next turn and take the free move to Tel el-Amarna. Mark should go there too, and we can use a third player on the Egypt side board to get a Clue and have a location encounter so we can have a better chance of knocking out the second Mystery this turn if we're to have any chance of winning. Note that Rex can use the Ancient Tome to try to get a Clue if he can't get all the way to Tel el-Amarna (the Encounters there often gain us Clues).

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:20 am
by Tabs
Rex wants to stay at Arkham, finish the Star Spawn and close the Gate. Charlie will Travel to Rome to close the Gate and flip Cursed Tablet. Mark to Focus and Rest (at Tel el-Amarna).

Lead Investigator is Charlie(?)

I'll update the board later.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:07 am
by Tabs
Turn 9 is at hand.

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:44 am
by Tabs
New Reserve Assets:

ImageImageImage

@Me (Charlie)

@Mr. Handy

@Me (Mark)

Image ImageImage

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:18 am
by Tabs
Googled Labyrinth of Kish and found out it's a Masks reference. Also I found this http://www.messagetoeagle.com/category/ ... mysteries/ --a very cool site.

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:59 pm
by Quatermass
Could Rex get a Gate Encounter please. :D

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:19 pm
by Tabs
Good job vs. the Star Spawn BTW.

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:01 pm
by Tabs
Mystery nearly solved, I felt sure we'd do it this turn. Great picture of Asenath Waite BTW.

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:47 pm
by Quatermass
Well Rex just went insane. :shock:

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:22 pm
by Tabs
I forgot that he was so close to the edge, oh dear! I'll draw you another investigator tomorrow.

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:52 pm
by Quatermass
He lost 5 Sanity that round. Just bad luck on some rolls.

If we can get someone to him, a Exorcism (will check) can retreat the Doom by 3!!

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:13 pm
by Tabs

ImageImage

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:39 pm
by Tabs
Turn 10 plan.

Charlie to Travel to The Pyramids and send Lucky Ring to Agnes. One of Charlie, Mark or Finn to close the Cairo Gate. Um, Mark could Rest and improve Lore (combat vs. Cultist [Mystery]).

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:41 pm
by Quatermass
Agnes should travel to Arkham and Encounter Rex.

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:46 pm
by Tabs
Yep, that -3 Doom is a must have--no pressure.

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:59 pm
by Mr. Handy
Improving Lore from 1 to 2 won't actually help against Cultists by itself, as you roll against Lore - 1. Losing our ability to Focus really hurts us there. Agnes would really help out with her 4 Lore. It might be better if she gets a Ship Ticket and goes to Tel el-Amarna to try to get a Clue and defeat a Cultist to solve the Mystery. Charlie can get a Ship Ticket from Rome and go to Arkham by way of London to encounter Rex instead. At least two of us should keep trying to find Clues at Tel el-Amarna and then defeat Cultists, but it makes sense for one of us to go after that Gate. I can do it. I don't stand a good chance against the Cultist, but I can Acquire Assets since Cairo is a City space and then Rest. With my Funding, I'm guaranteed to get at least the Medical Journal, which will get more Health back for me when I Rest.

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:53 am
by Tabs
Mark has +1 improve in Lore already, another and he'll roll 2d6 vs. Cultist. I think the -3 Doom is most important, if Charlie sends Agnes the Lucky Ring that's 2d6 + 1 reroll. Anyway, Charlie and Agnes crossing paths seems like a waste of actions. Also, I can't remember what benefit he got from it but Finn used his Funding in London.

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy
I didn't know that Mark already had +1 Lore. A second improvement will help, then, and the Lucky Ring will help Agnes retreat Doom too. I'm just concerned that we might fail to solve the Mystery this coming turn due to bad rolling. Even if you have better Lore, you might still fail to find a Clue in the Tel El-Amarna Encounter.

I do still have Funding. I didn't discard it during an Acquire Assets Action, I flipped it in the Reckoning portion of the Mythos Phase. The flip side was "All In," and I passed the roll, which allowed me 3 free points of Assets and told me to flip the card, so I still have Funding. I would only have discarded it had I failed the gambling roll.

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:41 am
by Tabs
Okay about the Funding; now that I am typing on a different computer I can see it next to Finn's sheet--actually I can't, either the cat's had it or I put it back in the box.

I think it's down to Quatermass to decide for Agnes. Also, she can be Lead Investigator?

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:28 pm
by Quatermass
Ok Agnes will try for Rex.

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:38 pm
by Tabs

New Reserve Asset: Image

@Mr. Handy, did you want Finn to go to Cairo? If so Charlie 'll goto Tel el-Amarna.

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, I went to Cairo. Since I can't Acquire Assets while that Cultist is sitting there, I instead used the Cat Burglar's Action.

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:16 am
by Tabs
Good luck everyone.

Charlie

Mark

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:22 pm
by Tabs

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:49 am
by Mr. Handy
Two Assets were taken out of the Reserve: the Lucky Ring and the Medical Journal. Shouldn't there be a second replacement?

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:36 am
by Tabs
Yes, Charter Flight (above).

Turn 11 plan. All or nothing?

We are in the same fix as turn 10, thanks to Agnes and no thanks to the boys, but our options have run out. I reckon Mark, Charlie and Finn should go for a Clue at Tel el-Amarna; Agnes can't make it to The Pyramids this turn, maybe one of her actions s/be to gain a Ship Ticket?

Mark to Rest and Trade Canopic Jar--Rest + Will test to improve Lore, I'm thinking of Finn. Charlie to Rest and use Cursed Tablet.

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:55 pm
by Quatermass
Agnes will go to London to try for the Research Encounter so she can use this.

She will also get a Ship Ticket so she can move to the Pyramids next turn.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy
Actually, Agnes can reach where we are if she uses an Acquire Assets Action and gets that Charter Flight. However, she should still do a Research Encounter rather than try to solve the Mystery like the rest of us. Retreating Doom by 1 might just buy us another turn. I just hope we don't waste that turn again failing to finish off the second Mystery.

I'll have my Cat Burglar try to steal the Carbine Rifle, then go to Tel el-Amarna and Rest. I could use the extra point of Lore from the Canopic Jar, thanks, and I'm Resting anyway. You'll just have to go before I do.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:14 am
by Tabs
Yes, Agnes could use Charter Flight! But go to London, as you said. Just thought, Mark will have to go after Finn in order to Trade when Finn Travels to Tel el-Amarna.

Agnes as Lead Investigator?

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:15 pm
by Tabs
Edit: if Mark Trades with Charlie for Markings of Isis, Mark 'll roll 3d6 vs. Cultist?

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy
The problem with me going before Mark is that then I wouldn't be able to use the Canopic Jar when I Rest. How about if I go before he does, but my Actions are to go to Tel el-Amarna (for free), Trade with Mark on my turn, and then Rest? Then Charlie can trade with Mark on either of their turns. I would guess the Markings of Isis give the +1 to all skills to the investigator who currently possesses it. When you trade it away, you lose the benefits, but it's better for Mark to gain them. You'd not only roll 3d6 for having 4 Lore, but you'd also get that free reroll. It's a shame we can't bring Agnes here with the Arcane Scholar yet, but she needs to do something else this turn. Hopefully on Turn 11 we'll have the third Mystery revealed anyway.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:55 am
by Tabs
Perfect! Finn Trades with Mark: Canopic Jar; and then Mark Trades with Charlie: Markings of Isis.

ImageImage

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:10 pm
by Tabs
Agnes

Charlie

Finn

Mark

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:16 pm
by Tabs

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:13 pm
by Tabs
I was so focused on Mark's encounter that it didn't register with me the significance of no clue for Agnes, and Quatermass rolled a 6 too.
"Thousands of years of slumber, and the first visitor I get is an easily distracted moron!"
This line should be in the new Indiana Jones film. And the Dark Pact probably will bite Finn, but, as you said, "It's our best chance of solving the Mystery."

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:55 pm
by Quatermass
I updated my rolls for the Mythos Phase

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:11 pm
by Tabs
Turn 12 plan.

We are almost done for, but not quite yet.

We need Clues. There's 3 on the board: London, The Sahara Desert and The Himalayas. Mark can move via Cairo to space 17 and on to The Himalayas with Charter Flight--oh, bugger, Child of Abhoth is too tough; can Shining Trapezohedron shift it? No, it cannot, um, there is a chance he could do it over 2 turns. . . .

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy
Don't forget that the Mystery causes each investigator to move one Clue to the nearest space on the Egypt side board. That will bring all of the Clues within reach, but there are only three and we still need a fourth. At least we're all nearby, and we can double up on one of them, or Agnes can stay in London and try to spawn more Clues. I'll Rest, use the Cat Burglar's Action if I don't need to Travel to the Sahara, and have a Research Encounter. We just need to decide where the Clues move and who goes for which ones.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:59 am
by Tabs
I totally did forget! So Clue locations s/be: London to Rome, The Himalayas to space 17 and The Sahara Desert stays put? Mark will go for the one at space 17; Charlie to Rome. Agnes spawn Clues in London or double-up in Rome?

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:51 pm
by Quatermass
Rome please

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy
Actually, that's still not right. The Mystery says that the Clues on the main board are moved to the nearest space on the Egypt side board, not merely one space away. If we move one of them to Alexandria, I can use my second Action to Acquire Assets instead of the Cat Burglar's component Action. Thanks to my Funding, this will be a sure thing.

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:47 pm
by Tabs
Doh!

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:19 pm
by Tabs
Amended, Clues are now on the side board. Mark can go to Cairo but it's infested with Monsters and his Sanity is 1. Maybe Agnes can use the Shining Trapezohedron on the Shan before she moves to The Sahara Desert? He can use his ability vs. Cultist or Warlock.--Edit: Cultist, it has -1 penalty on the Horror test.

BTW the ban on a Focus action passed with the Mythos card's Reckoning.

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy
Oh, I didn't know that! In that case, I'll Focus and Rest this turn, then go shopping next turn before I leave Alex - if there is a next turn. If I fail to get the Clue, I'll be staying there next turn anyway.

I'm willing to be Lead Investigator if nobody else wants it.

Does the other Clue have to move to Cairo? Can't it move to one of the other side board locations that's equidistant (Tel el-Amarna, perhaps)?

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:42 am
by Tabs
Okay, Finn as Lead Investigator. I see what you are saying about several locations being equidistant; however, only Cairo feels right to me . . . it'd be good to get rid of the Cultist anyway. Mark 'll roll 4d6 + a Focus reroll vs. Warlock--decent odds! (Kill or move the Shan, Agnes.)

Also, Agnes must Travel via space 10 to reach The Sahara Desert.

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:07 pm
by Quatermass
Ok Agnes moves to Sahara Desert via Rome - Space 10 with ticket - Free move to Sahara.

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:03 pm
by Tabs
Finn at Alexandria (City)

Mark at Cairo (City)

Agnes at The Sahara Desert (Wilderness)

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:45 pm
by Tabs
Know Thy Enemy (flipped)

As you unravel the secrets of the universe, you begin to form a hunch about how to mend the fabric of reality. Using this method, you can prevent more of the Ancient One's vile followers from entering our world.

For each Eldritch token on this card, discard 1 Gate of your choice on any space.

~

Congrats to Agnes and Finn, 2 Clues placed on the Mystery card.

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, but we may regret not spawning another Clue from London. We're running out of time here, and if the next Mythos card isn't green (and it probably won't be), we lose another turn.

Better discard the Tokyo Gate, as that's the only blue one. If the omen advances, that'lll come up next.

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:58 am
by Tabs
Tokyo Gate discarded. Now, if only the next Mythos card were green . . . I'll draw it later today.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:36 am
by Tabs

I'll check re. player elimination. Found the answer on BGG. The answer is no, 4 is still the number--me hoping it was 3 Clues required on the Mystery was just wishful thinking.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:32 pm
by Tabs
Turn 13 plan.

Next Omen is red, there are 3 red Gates but only 2 Eldritch tokens, and Charlie is Delayed in Alex. It's futile, isn't it? There are no Clues on the game board and we need 1 to complete the 3rd Mystery.

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:44 am
by Mr. Handy
We're almost certainly doomed, but we still have a smidgen of a chance. If Agnes and I each can seal one red Gate, we can survive the Mythos phase if we're lucky. This means nobody goes to London, so our only chance is if the next Mythos card is green (50% chance, as two cards remain and one of them is green). Then the Clue spawns, and there will be no Reckoning to destroy it. In Turn 14, we'll need to make sure we get that Clue to solve the third Mystery. When the final (yellow) Mythos card comes up, the Omen will advance to blue, which is safe as long as no blue Gate opens (and a green card won't spawn a Gate; the monster surge will happen on the only remaining red Gate, matching the Omen). Then we'll have one last turn to confront the Black Pharaoh and get two Clues on the final Mystery to win the game.

If Agnes goes to Space 10 with her free move, she can then use the Shining Trapezohedron to get the Fire Vampire out of the way before moving on to Rome. Then I'll Travel to the Sahara Desert, using my free move to go to Alexandria first. With my other Action I can go shopping in Alexandria. That Book of Spells may prove useful. Alternatively, I can get a second Focus or Rest and try to use the Canopic Jar. Or, if I go before Agnes, I can Trade with her.

I probably shouldn't be Lead Investigator. Depending on where the Clue pops up (if it does), I may be the only one who can reach it in one turn (with the Livre d'Ivon).

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:00 pm
by Quatermass
Don't forget Chartered Flight which is on the assets board, if someone needs to move somewhere.

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:00 pm
by Tabs

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:57 pm
by Quatermass
Who is the new Investigator?

Agnes can go for the Red Gate at Rome.

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:59 pm
by Tabs
I'm out of the game. A defeated investigator after Nephren-Ka awakes means player elimination; so it's Agnes, Charlie and Finn. Agnes as Lead Investigator? Yes, Agnes to Rome via space 10; use Trapezohedron on space 10 to kill or draw Fire Vampire away from Rome.

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:19 pm
by Quatermass
Oh. Ok! ;)

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:44 am
by Tabs

Agnes

Finn

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:31 am