1: 'On a Lonely Road'

Despite racing against the rain on your way northwards, the storm finally caught up with you in earnest and with it the night has fallen, abyssal black and riven by lightning. Conditions on the rain-swept road force your speed down to a virtual crawl so that your head-lamps can pierce the gloom and keep you on the path. The only thing certain now is that the weather behind you is worse than that which surrounds you, driving you onwards. What should have been an eventless journey has become something dangerous and unpredictable....

Moderator: Priest

vertigoke
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Re: 1: 'On a Lonely Road'

Post by vertigoke »

Thomas Furman asks the waitress, "Miss do you know this girl and or her grandfather?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

At Thomas' question the waitress looks up from pouring the coffee, "Sure thats Emilia Webb, old Doc Webb's grandaughter" she stops chewing gum as she gives the pale faced girl a quick look over.
"Looks a mess. Been out in the storm has she? Not the best night for a walk." Attractive, if slighty over dressed for a job as a waitress, she returns to her task displaying no further interest in Emilia.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
CrowTheAlmighty
Initiate
Initiate

Post by CrowTheAlmighty »

Tobias put his hands on the table and pushed himself to his feet before speaking, "Well, where may we find this 'Doc Webb'? Does he live nearby?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

The man with the mustache glances over at Tobias as he approaches Emilia, Doc Webb has a place up the valley a piece on a side road off the Arkham road, you caint miss it, it’s the only road off into the woods for miles”

Moving up to the seated Emelia he looks at her then glances around, “Looks like the old doc may have to fetch his bag outa retirement, that’s a nasty bash she has there, any ideas as to how she got it?”

On your way down to the town you had passed what might have been a side road, but it was to dark to really make it out. If it had been the one that Keelham had been talking about it’s about a mile away in the same direction as the girl had been coming from.
- Anais Nin
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Vladd »

Lance looked out of the window wondering what had caught the elderly man's attention. "I don't suppose you can telephone the young ladies Grandfather? Or will someone have to go and fetch him?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

The guy with the mustache who introduces himself as Sam Keelham the gas station manager, looks from Lance to the window, through which the running rivulets of rainwater and flashes of lightning can be seen. Beyond the brightly lit entrance a wooden sign can be seen dancing wildly in the wind its securing chains only just managing to hold against the wind that threatens tear it aside at any moment.
“Telephone lines have been down for a while now, and I aint sure that the doc’s place has a phone anyways" Turning away from the window he looks around the room, “I don’t see anyone willing to try reaching the doc’s in this weather anyways” an observation strengthened by the way that the majority look studiously away.

“Perhaps you might be willing, given that you have a car? And that you found the girl which kinda makes you responsible for her”

The elderly female snuggles close to the man, “Look Teddy all this rain makes me think of Angels crying”. At the counter Jake Burns picks up the coffee, “I tell you it was a dead light up near the doc’s place” he shudders which makes the big farmer look slightly pathetic, “I aint going back out there, no way”
The waitress picks up the now almost empty coffee pot and muttering something about putting some more on disappears into the kitchen.
From her seat a still unfocused Emilia whispers, “The light…Grandfather”
- Anais Nin
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Vladd »

Lance looks at Thomas "It's your choice Thomas, you know your car and driving skills best. Do you want to risk driving in the storm again to fetch the Doc?"
vertigoke
Layman
Layman

Post by vertigoke »

Thomas Furman looks at the redt of the group, I think we should bring the girl to her grand dad
Barty Carter
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 9 years 6 months

Post by Barty Carter »

"I agree Gentlemen. But taking the poor girl back out in this would be foolish and dangerous.
We should wait here until the storm subsides.We are far from sure where this Doctors home is and the road here was dangerous enough as it was.Goodness only knows what conditions we might find on any side roads."

Barty takes the last drop from his flask and his colour is begining to return,while his shaking hands are rather steadier

"I suggest we order some food,I for one am quite famished!"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

As if to add emphasis to Barty's comment an enormous clap of thunder, that seems to be directly overhead, skakes the Diner drawing gasps and moans from the occupants. As if in reply to the thunder the rain hurls itself with renewed vigour at the window panes and the wooden sign, so long valiantly struggling against the wind, is torn free and vanishes somewhere in the darkness.
"There it is again" says the elderly man avidly staring through the window, "There! on the opposite side of the road, amongst the trees."

"What was it dear?" asks the old woman craning her neck to get a better view.

"A light"

"A dead light?" demands a suddenly animated Jake Burns standing to see, "Its followed me...Or someone" he adds looking towards Emilia, suspicion obvious in his hooded eyes.

Suddenly everyone in the diner has gathered at the elderly couples booth attempting to see what the old man saw...
- Anais Nin
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Post by jbibblesworth »

"Where is your sense of chivalry Mr. Carter? Your sense of masculine duty?" Luther says reproachfully, "Why, to think you could eat while this poor girl in our stead sits bleed--"

His words are swept away by the sudden rush of movement towards the diner's window and the exclamations about the return of the Dead Light. Luther rises from his seat and finds an empty swath of window, from where he peers into the tempestuous blackness beyond.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC:   Anyone attempting to spot what the man is on about, please roll a Hard Spot Hidden (equal to or less than half of your skill roll)  
- Anais Nin
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Post by jbibblesworth »

Luther's brow furrows as he struggles to make out what resides in the nearly impenetrable blackless.
Spoiler:
HARD SPOT HIDDEN - 35% - 1d100 → [25] = (25) SUCCESS
CrowTheAlmighty
Initiate
Initiate

Post by CrowTheAlmighty »

Tobias arrived at the window as well, trying to catch a glimpse at what they all saw outside

[dice]Spot Hidden: 68[/dice]
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Vladd »

Lance peered into the darkness
d100=0
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Vladd wrote:Lance peered into the darkness
d100=0
OOC:   Alas it seems that your roll didn't work, please try again  
- Anais Nin
Barty Carter
Layman
Layman

Post by Barty Carter »

Barty remains seated.
Incensed that his courage is called into question ,simply because he feels the best course of action is not to drag the young girl into further immediate danger,he wonders how many of his new aquaintances tested their own manliness in France,when the Americans finally entered the war.
His friend Dr.Forfitt had travelled to France privately,while most Americans were happy in their Isolationism.
But, he told himself,now was the time to practice those qualities that set the British apart from their colonial cousins.He would remain calm and reasonable,he would not rise to the intended insult,but perhaps he would suggest that while he took care of the girl here in the relative safety of the cafe...... the brave chivalric heroes could go and find the good Doctor and bring him back
Last edited by Barty Carter on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Vladd »

OOC:   Sorry 2nd try  
Spot Hidden (1d100=21)
Barty Carter
Layman
Layman

Post by Barty Carter »

Barty calls to the waitress
"Can we have some ice over here,if you have any please my dear and one of your clean tea towels and perhaps a jug of warm water"
Barty slips into the empty seat next to the girl and gently pushes her hair back to get a better look at her injury
"Oh its not that bad my dear,lets just clean it up a little and I am sure you will be fine.......Did they say your name is Emelia?.......Thats a pretty name....can I have another look at your medalion?...did your Grandfather give that to you?........It looks quite old,is it some kind of family Heirloom?
Does your Grandfather know anything about the strange lights my dear?
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

In answer to Barty’s request the waitress emerges from the kitchen carrying a glass bowl of water. She places this on the counter and returns to the kitchen to re-emerge with a cloth and some ice, under one arm she carries a small tin marked ‘First Aid’.
“Anything else No…well I’ll get back to preparing food”

Those gathered near the windows straining to catch sight of this ‘Dead light’ are mostly disappointed, although for a moment Luther thinks he saw a flicker of light just within the woods edge. Whatever it was it wasn’t lightning, more like someone shining a very bright flashlight for a moment before extinguishing it.
“Did you see it? Was it a…'Dead light'?” panic sounded close in the heavy set farmer’s voice.
OOC:   Everyone except Barty please roll POW.  
Barty’s administrations seem to draw no response from Emilia, it is as if whatever scared her has rendered her incapable of feeling pain. However at the mention of her grandfather, as quick as a flash she grips his wrist in her hand, and looks deep into his eyes. “Grandfather? Yes he’s hurt. The light…the light…keep away, arghhhhhh!”
- Anais Nin

Return to “Dead Light (7th Edition)”