Chapter 2: Fugitives on the run

Alternate future, post WWII apocalyptic game.

More than 80 years ago, the war known as WWII broke in Europe, now, in the year of 2020 most of the world is a barren wasteland caused by the many nuclear and bio-weapon that were used by the Reich's empire of "Germania" to dominate most of the planet.
You are simple prisoners on the British penalty island that was known in the past to be the United Kingdom. A chance to escape from the terror regime came up, will you succeed?

Moderator: royya

royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Chapter 2: Fugitives on the run

Post by royya »

Light penetrates occasionally from the broken upper windows of the squash room, it is morning and the sky can be seen through the broken glass windows . The sky is still covered with a blanket of stratus clouds with occasional gap. It been hours since the almost fatal battle, Liz and the others begin to wake as the effect of the drug that was placed in the water they drank begin to fade off.
You spot the dead bodies of the family ... Frog and Roland lies unconscious on the floor, they are both wounded quite bad.

"They drugged us ... and these two saved us"
Jeffrey says as he sits, holding his head with one hand and motions with the other to Roland and Frog
"Oh...god ..."
Natasha says and crawls to treat Roland and Frog with torn cloth she takes from the dead. [First aid success - Frog and Roland +3 hp]

A shovel, Two handguns and a shotgun are lying on the floor. They are all ran out of bullets and shells, their empty cases and clips are thrown on the floor among empty bottles and cans of food that several hours ago were part of a lovely dinner that went wrong.

Half an hour later Frog and Roland wake up. Kevin is guarding the door with the shovel in one hand. He is looking nervously to the corridor.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Chapter 2: Fugitives on the run

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz gasps when she awakens and crosses her arms over her chest, drool dripping from the corner of her mouth. When she takes in the scene, she sighs with relief. "I was terrified I'd wake up with one of those guys on top of me," she says. She helps Natasha tend to Frog and Roland. "Thank you so much!" she says when they wake up. "I don't know what happened after I blacked out, but you've saved us. We should search the bodies and take anything of use first. The guns are all empty, but there may be more bullets and shells about this place. And now that the power's on, I'd like to take a look at that computer. They seemed awfully keen on keeping me away from it."
OOC,[b]Frog[/b] was injured twice, which means each injury can benefit from First Aid. Were the 3 points he got back the total of two successful First Aid rolls, or were they from one?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Frog prods gingerly at the wound to the back of his head where he was hit by the shovel, wincing. He gets up and retrieves his pistol and clip.

There's a spare gun 'ere if any youse know 'ow ta use it but we ain't got no bullits. An' that fukker tha' was on top of me is still alive. I say we finish him off, 'less any of youse wanna to talk ta 'im first. But we still finish 'im off when we don'e talkin' wiv im, right? Fukkers tried to kill all of us, they fukkin deserve ta die! he looks at the others and smiles sheepishly

Glad youse all ok, I fought they'd poisoned ya and you was all dead like. Ah fuk me 'ead 'urts an' I got a ragin' thirst on too. Anyone got any water?
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

OOC:   BTW- there are rubber helmet and a police vest - both together will give an armor of 3 to the wearer - meaning damage reduction of 3.
The +3 hp to Frog was a sum of two first aid checks,  
No Frog. The man we pulled of you bled to death ... your cloth are covered with his blood.
Natasha says to Frog

The generator worked all night and the fuel ran out. I think we saw more tanks beside it.
Jeffrey says.
We can turn it ON once more and check the computer but so long there are lights and electricity over here I think we risk getting caught by the Germans. They will send parties to investigate the ambush zone and to search for prisoners

The dead trio (wear regular cloth which can be taken and switched with the prisoner's outfit. You find a magnetic door card and a note with a password in Randy's (the dead father) pocket.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, he can't tell us anything now," says Liz. "He's too dead. Good riddance, anyway. This password might be for the computer, and I'd wager the card opens the cafeteria door. We'd need the power on to use both, but we can just turn it on briefly and then shut it right back off. If it was on all night and nobody noticed, I doubt a few more minutes will matter. Whatever's in the cafeteria could be important. We might not be the first people they've tried to abduct, so we may find captives in there. Also food, and possibly water, though there's some in the restroom if you don't mind the radiation. Also the drugged stuff, but you don't want that. If there are enough guns left over after everyone who knows how to use them has taken one, I'd like one. I'm not much good in a fight otherwise. There's bound to be more ammo around here somewhere, but if not even an empty gun can be useful. One of you gents should take the armour and the helmet, since you're both wounded and like to be involved if there's more trouble."
OOC,What size are the armor and the clothes? Who would they best fit?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

OOC:   The police vest has straps that can be loosen or tighten so any grown up can use them by adjusting the straps.  
Roland, go ahead and take the vest, you are in a need of some protection.
Kevin says
I say we stash the empty bottles in the tennis bag the dead son brought and fill them up for later use.

Jeffrey, come with me, we'll secure the corridor and the entrance while the other tend to the generator and he computer.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah, we can always fill the bottles," says Liz. "I'll stand by at the computer with the password. One of you chaps should take the magnetic card and be ready to open the cafeteria with it once the lights come on."
OOC,Okay, thanks, but which of us could the regular clothing fit?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Frog grabs the helmet and straps it to head, it's a little large but he grins foolishly from underneath it Perfick fit, I fink! he goes to the door Come on then, let's see wots all locked up in the caff - hopefully there'll be some grub 'n bullits 'n other goodies he winks at Liz Eh miss? Go do yer stuff with the 'pootah!

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Right!" says Liz, managing a grin in spite of what has happened here. Being able to get her hands on a computer for the first time in far too long helps lift her spirits, even if it is obsolete. She heads over to the computer to be in position for when the power comes back on.
OOC,Aren't the helmet and vest supposed to be used together? I'm not sure how much protection they'll provide separately.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

OOC:   The cloth the trio wear are for - Son1 SIZE 8-10, son2 Size 13-15, Father Size 14-16.
The helmet alone gives a damage reduction of 1 hp. The damaged police vest will give only 2.
Papa - please write the helmet and the DR on your sheet. Syrinx, jot down the police vest on your sheet.  
There is another full tank beside the generator so you fill up the generator and turn it ON.
The electronic padlock next to the cafeteria powers on but you must click a password of numbers and not to slide a card through it. The card must belong to another door somewhere in the building. Liz starts the computer and enters the password they found on the note the father carried. In the simple terminal they find files of past members, entrance fees and a recent file, dated two month ago with a series of numbers. the name of the file is "cafe_pass.txt".

There is another interesting file that contains a short log written by the father Randy.
The log described a journey from Birmingham where they left his wife to die after a bandit raid. The journey from the north to the region of London through the wasteland of central U.K. Somehow they survived after Randy describes several battles against mutated animals, ghouls and hermits on the way. Their adventures describe fleeing from Reading after being chased by mutants from their past dwelling (A supermarket). Several words about the head of the slum town of Wokingham (that is not far from where you are) describing the man as a nasty lunatic priest, their raids on the M4 highway against merchants and loners and this place they decided to call home two month ago.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz opens up the "cafe_pass.txt" file, reasoning that it probably has the password for the cafeteria.
OOC,I'll take the clothes worn by the first son, as they'd fit me best. They might fit [b]Kevin[/b], they'd just be a little tight. I don't think the other two will fit anyone other than [b]Jeffrey[/b], who already has new clothes from the mine, but we can always take the other outfits with us to trade later, or they can hang loosely on smaller people. As for the guns, [b]Kevin[/b] and [b]Roland[/b] both have points in Handgun skill, so it would make sense for them to carry the pistols. Anyone can use the shotgun at 30%, but it's best to give it to someone who doesn't have any points in fighting skills.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

The file contains a single line with the password of the cafeteria. trying the password on the padlock opens the doors.
Kevin take some wooden and brick debris and scatter them between the doors to prevent them from closing. "That will do the trick"
Jeffrey close the entrance door to the compound as he mutters something about not wanting to be ambushed.

All of the Tables of the cafeteria are ruined and stocked in a pile in one side of the big room. The pile is surrounded by a pool of water that came from an unseen cracks.
The counter is covered with mold and muck and the shelves that were above it are ruined and scatter the floor around it. One light bulb is all that is left, hanged from the ceiling with a simple metal cord and it flickers, casting shadows around the place. There is a door behind the counter to the right, probably leading to the kitchen. Several windows line the walls but someone, maybe from the family, barred and nailed them with wood planks.
OOC:   *please roll listen and spot hidden. - drop -20% from the skill level of the spot hidden due to dim light and shadows.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Liz,Liz hears insect hisses from the pile of tables and chairs but it is too dark over there to see what cause the noise.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I hear some sort of insect hissing over there," whispers Liz, pointing out a pile of tables and chairs. "Might be more roaches, but do they hiss? I don't want to light the lantern, that could draw them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

OOC:   Listen[50]- [dice]0[/dice]
Spoty hidden [50-20] - [dice]1[/dice]  

royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

The place is dumb but the door over there probably lead to the kitchen.
Kevin says
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Then let's try it and avoid the insects," Liz whispers back.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

There is something in the darkness, probably another mutated insect that gives up the adventure in fighting the humans that came into is dwelling.
You cross the main cafeteria room and enter the kitchen.

The opposite wall of the kitchen from where you came is lined with metalic shelves, cooking counters are lined along the wall to the left and stoves are to the right.
Many open cans, rusted pots, plates and cutlery are scattered on the floor with stains of past food, mildew, slime and mold all over. On the higher shelves you spot food!!
The family placed cans of food up there - you spot some cans of beans, pickles, corns and various rationed vegetables. (All the cans are enough for 4 days w/o being fatigued)
There are two bottled of whiskey next to the rations.

A buzzing is heard from another door that leads into a refrigerator. The door is closed.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Let's load all that food and whiskey into the backpack," says Liz. "We need to see what's in the fridge, but we'll have to be careful. That buzzing could be another insect."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Escape from the UK”