Page 1 of 1

IC Ch 11: Monster Hunting

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:34 pm
by BenTheRat
Richard, Eddie, Alyssa and Norman are on foot tracking the monster. Aunt Loosa stays in the car and is following 100 feet behind everyone.

"This blood isn't fresh, its at least a couple hours old," Richard says still following the trail.

It continues until it merges onto Granite street. You don't see any more bodies here. It looks like whatever it was came down this way smashing things, fought a battle there, killed everyone and then turned around and came back the same way bleeding along the way.

You travel up Granite, and there are very few houses here. Those that are close to the road have some damage to them. You have traveled over 1/2 a mile you estimate when you get to the intersection of Quarry Road. A bridge goes over a dirt road that goes into the quarry. The blood trail leaves the road and follows down into the quarry.

Re: IC Ch 11: Monster Hunting

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Looks like we have to go down into the quarry," says Eddie.

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:46 pm
by Silver Priest
"Shame we can't blast it to hell from here." says Richard. He and Norman follow, guns out.

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:38 am
by Tabs
"Let's check out the quarry," said Alyssa."If it's in the open we'll blast at it from the top?"

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:31 pm
by BenTheRat
Aunt Loosa says she will stay with the car, in case you have to make a quick get away.

You climb down the slope to the dirt road leading to the quarry following the blood trail. As you get to the quarry you can see it hasn't been used in years. The large hole stretches out before you like a large meteor crater. At least 600 feet to the far side and 300-400 feet wide. The edge drops straight down about 20 feet to water. How deep the water is you just cannot be sure.

The trail on the dirt road shows huge prints of some sort. The prints are at least 2 feet long, and it appears to be bi-pedal. The blood had started to become more and more faint as you followed it from the beach. At the edge of the quarry it disappears completely.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"I hope it didn't go into the water," says Eddie, "but something tells me that's exactly what it did."

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:21 am
by Silver Priest
"Wasn't there a report of a large fish in the water, that Aunt Loosa saw?" Norman asks. "I don't suppose the two are uh, related."

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:15 am
by Tabs
"Yes, I'm sure you're right, Eddie," said Alyssa. "Blast fishing! Stun it with an explosion, and pepper it with shot when it floats?"

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that's an excellent idea, Alyssa," says Eddie. "We'll have to spot the creature before we throw the dynamite. We don't have enough to waste."

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:27 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC: I am assuming you are hesitating as to your next move?

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie looks around to see if there is any safe way to descend down to where the water is.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:23 am
by Tabs
Alyssa clambered down with Eddie.

"Do you think we're gonna make it?"

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:32 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Everyone make a spot hidden check.  

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:00 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Hold on, I'm still looking for a path down," says Eddie, taking a careful look around.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (55% skill) to find a way down: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:47 pm
by Silver Priest
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice] Norman

[dice]1[/dice] Richard
Neither Richard or Norman seem particularly alert, but they stop when Eddie speaks.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:32 am
by Tabs
Alyssa Spot Hidden [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:28 pm
by BenTheRat
Looking around the quarry you notice about half way around the left side the rock was blasted off and created a almost natural set of stairs that lead down to the water.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"That way," says Eddie, pointing out the stairs. "I'll go first. Yes, Alyssa, I think we'll make it." He leads the way, his shotgun in his hands.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:53 am
by BenTheRat
The water seems deathly silent. And very clear. The stairs are easy enough to traverse, especially with help from the rest of you.

It does get steep and slippery in a couple spots.
OOC:   If you wish to continue on, make a dex*8 check to make it safely to the water. If you roll you are attempting this. 96+ is a failure no matter your dex.
If you do not wish to tempt fate, you can go back to the surface safely.  

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie makes his way down the stairs with near-perfect grace.
OOC,DEX x 8 roll (128% stat) climbing down the stairway: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:09 am
by Silver Priest
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice] Richard 80

[dice]1[/dice] Norman 80
Norman nearly stumbles, but is able to keep his footing. Richard though is not so lucky, and loses his footing.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:29 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Lets get Alyssa's roll first before moving forward.  

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:43 am
by Tabs
DEX roll for Alyssa [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:14 pm
by BenTheRat
As everyone is making their way down the side of the quarry Richard begins to slip, but Eddie was quick enough and sure-footed enough to catch him before he slid down the facing. Holding on tightly together you make it to the water.

The water is clear but it has gotten dark. Your flashlights can peer through the water for only a few feet before the light is diffused enough.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:50 pm
by Silver Priest
"Why Officer, I didn't know you cared!" says Richard. But he flashes Eddie a grateful grin, suggesting his gratitude is genuine.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Glad I could help," says Eddie with a nod. "Now what? Maybe we can try to attract its attention, throw some rocks into the water to draw it out and get it to try to attack us. I don't know how smart this thing is, or how confident, so it might not work - and if it does, we may wish it hadn't."

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:27 am
by Tabs
"Rocks, then?" said Alyssa, hefting a baseball-sized lump.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:33 pm
by BenTheRat
Alyssa takes a rock loose from the wall and hefts it into the water. The splash echoes through the quarry and your light can follow it down about 10 feet before it disappears into darkness.

The ripples from the splash spread out across the surface of the water and in a matter of seconds the ripples cease and the pool is flat and waveless.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe dynamite would get its attention," suggests Eddie. "I'd hate to waste it, as we only have so much. Plus, would the water put the fuse out before it went off?"

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:31 am
by BenTheRat
OOC: Anyone is free to make an explosive check, or if you get a crit success for an Intelligence check.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:59 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie doesn't know much about dynamite.
OOC,INT x 1 roll (12% stat) to know about dynamite: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:11 am
by Silver Priest
Spoiler:
Int for Richard 12 [dice]1d100[/dice

Int for Norman, 12 [dice]1d100[/dice]]

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:12 am
by Silver Priest
reposting
Spoiler:
Richard [dice]0[/dice]
Norman [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:48 am
by Tabs
OOC:   I see that Richard rolled 3.  
"How do they explode dynamite in water?" wondered Alyssa.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:29 pm
by BenTheRat
Richard,you know if you light the fuse and throw it in, the fuse will continue to burn even underwater and the compounds in the dynamite will explode.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:33 pm
by Silver Priest
"Light it and throw it in," says Richard. "It will still work even underwater. Might help us to smoke out our little fishy."

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I've got the strongest throwing arm," says Eddie, taking out a stick of dynamite. "I'm not the most accurate, but that doesn't matter when we can't even see the blasted thing." Using his lighter, he ignites the fuse, then hurls the lit dynamite out into the middle of the lake. While he waits for it to detonate, he hands off the lighter to whoever wants it so they can light more dynamite if the thing surfaces. Then he brings up his shotgun and holds it ready to shoot the monster if it appears.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:12 am
by Tabs
Alyssa took the lighter off of Eddie. She awaited the explosion, and whatever it may bring forth. "Here goes," she said, and gave Eddie a peck on the cheek.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:51 pm
by BenTheRat
Eddie,make a throw roll for me, mainly don't fumble.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie lobs out the dynamite as far as he can. He doubts he is lucky enough to actually hit the thing, but at least he got it a safe distance away.
OOC,Throw roll (25% base skill) throwing the dynamite: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:53 pm
by BenTheRat
The dynamite sails threw the air, and though it didn't go where Eddie intended, no on knew that but him. It was close as the dynamite landed in the water.

A second later when you were sure the fuse went out, it goes off sending water high into the air. A few splashes of the water even make their way to you. The rocks your standing on shake just a little.

It couldn't help but draw a couple small cheers and gasps from your group. But a few seconds after that it was all quiet as if nothing happened.
Nothing floated to the top, or emerged.

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Either it's not in there," says Eddie, "or it's smart enough not to come up. If only there were some way to drain the lake."

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:11 am
by Tabs
"What next?" said Alyssa.

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:51 pm
by BenTheRat
As the plan to draw out whatever it is, seems to have failed you stand there looking at the water. The moon rising in the sky illuminating the water.

OOC: everyone make a spot hidden check.

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:49 pm
by Silver Priest
Spoiler:
Richard [dice]0[/dice]

Norman [dice]1[/dice]

Both fail.

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:33 pm
by Mr. Handy

Eddie still can't see anything.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (55% skill) looking at the lake: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:50 am
by Tabs
Spot Hidden [dice]0[/dice] [75%]

"I do," said Alyssa.

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:34 pm
by BenTheRat
Alyssa,as your eyes become accustomed to the surrounding dark and the almost full moon spreads light throughout the water, there is a spot that is darker than the rest of the wall just a few feet below the surface. It is right below where you followed the blood trail to. It is roughly circular in shape.

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:42 pm
by Tabs
"It is there," said Alyssa definitely. "A few feet below the surface, right where the blood trail stops at the pool's edge."

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Now that we know where it is," says Eddie, "maybe the dynamite will bring it up so we can blast it. I shouldn't be the one to do it, though. I'm not the most accurate, and I can't even see the thing."

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:16 am
by Silver Priest
"I could try," Richard offers. "No offense to either of you," he nods to Alyssa and Norman, "But this ain't a job for a woman. Or Alyssa either."

If there's no objection, he grabs some of the dynamite and tosses it in where Alyssa points, hoping to give the monster a nasty surprise.
Spoiler:
Rolling to save time. If any of you want to stop Richard he'll refrain.

[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:14 am
by Tabs
OOC:   Objection! I'll post later today.  

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:15 pm
by Tabs
"I think you're very manly, Mr. Smith," said Alyssa, suspecting that her defence would sound like she thought the opposite--which she did. "No need for any skill, Mr. Rahl, let's just drop the dynamite into the pool where the blood trail stops. The whole lot--we'll concuss it with a huge blast."

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:01 pm
by BenTheRat
Richard throws the dynamite and while it misses pretty badly from the intended target it still lands in the water.

The explosion rips through the water sending it spraying over all of you. The shock wave shakes the side of the cliff you are on but not enough to knock anyone off. You can see the waves splash against the side of the quarry.

After a minute the waves subside, the turbulance and even the dirt that was stirred up begins to settle.

It takes another 5 minutes before the water begins to clear up. You can spot the area where Alyssa had pointed out the dark circular area and it is still black and right where it was before, just below the surface. It has not moved.

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I think an accurate throw will bring it to the surface to attack us," says Eddie. "If it doesn't come up, we can just keep throwing dynamite until either it's dead or we run out of it. Now that we can see it, we ought to be able to shoot it too. The water shouldn't slow down our shots significantly, since it's right below the surface. I think we should throw one stick at a time until it either dies or comes up, then hit it with everything we've got if it does."
OOC,How far away is it from us?

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:09 pm
by BenTheRat
From where you are standing it is close to 100 feet to the wall. From the edge where the blood stopped it is 20 to 25 feet straight down.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:54 am
by Tabs
"Can we work our way round the pool so that we're above it?" said Alyssa.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:54 pm
by BenTheRat
Due to the steepness of the sides you either have to go into the water or back up to the top and walk around.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:58 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We don't want to go through the water," says Eddie, "but we can go back the way we came to get up there. Now that we know where it is, we can rain death down upon it."

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:48 am
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Make an Dex*8 check to make it to the top.  

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:29 am
by Tabs
Alyssa [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:31 pm
by Silver Priest
Spoiler:
Norman [dice]0[/dice]

Richard [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:01 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie has a little difficulty on the way back up, but he manages the climb.
OOC,DEX x 8 roll (16 x 8 = 128% stat): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:04 pm
by BenTheRat
Everyone makes it to the top, Eddie bringing up the rear, the rock under him comes loose from the wall and tumbles down into the water, but Eddie was able to grab hold of the edge and pull himself up. Looking down you realize that will make things a lot harder if you try and go down that way again.

The splash from the rock is loud in the quiet night but soon the ripples subside. Shining your lights over where you can see the shadow has not moved.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says Eddie. "Let's move to the spot directly above it. Someone who's good at throwing can toss one stick of dynamite at a time at the thing. We don't want to waste it. If it surfaces, we can hit it with everything we've got."

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:31 am
by Tabs
"I have doubts now. I'm gonna go and check it out," said Alyssa.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:03 pm
by BenTheRat
Alyssa,what do you mean by I'm going to go check it out?

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:26 am
by Tabs
Alyssa went back to the pool.

DEX roll[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:26 pm
by BenTheRat
Do you mean you climbed back down the quarry wall to the water?

It was harder, but you make it.

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:47 am
by Tabs
She tools off her shoes, and then swam to the shape.

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:02 pm
by BenTheRat
After climbing to the top, you here Alyssa say something about doubts, she climbs back down the cliff and takes off her shoes and climbs into the water.

What are you guys doing while she does this?

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:43 pm
by Silver Priest
"Be careful Alyssa!" Norman whispers in a loud hiss.

"What is she doing! She's going to get herself killed. Officer, can't you stop your Gal?" Says Richard.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:56 am
by Tabs
"If I'm eaten," shouted Alyssa, "you'll know that it's here for sure." Whilst she spoke she breast-stroked gently across the pool.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:47 pm
by BenTheRat
Your lights shine down on Alyssa as she strokes across the water. The clothes you are wearing weigh you down, but you can do a simple breast stroke, and there are enough hand holds along the wall to help you get across when you get tired. It doesn't take you long to get to the point of interest.

The rest of you see her reach the destination and go under the water.
Alyssa Only,As you reach your destination you go under the water to check out what was causing the shadow and you see it is a cave opening. The light from above is filtering through the water. You can the cave is large. But you aren't sure how deep it is. Do you wish to try your luck exploring the cave on your own? Or go back and tell the boys what you found?

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:35 pm
by Tabs
Alyssa resurfaced, and called up to the boys: "It's a cave, the shadow I saw was a cave. The monster must be inside." She swam back to her shoes.

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank God you're okay," says Eddie, descending in order to follow Alyssa. "You were right about the shadow, but please don't go off on your own. What if the creature had been lurking in the cave and come after you when you were there by yourself? If anyone should have gone, it should have been me. You're too important. I'd never have forgiven myself if anything had happened to you."

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:35 am
by BenTheRat
OOC: Because of the now damaged steps, you need a Dex *6 check to successfully navigate back down to the water.

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie has no trouble making it back down the steps.
OOC,DEX x 6 roll (96% stat) going back down the steps: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:38 am
by Tabs
"I felt that I had to," said Alyssa. "Anyway, I didn't want us to waste the dynamite. Let's get this over with, for good or bad!"

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:34 pm
by Silver Priest
Spoiler:
Richard [dice]0[/dice]

Norman [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:45 pm
by BenTheRat
So everyone scales down the side of the cliff, when Norman trips and falls into the water with a large splash. He comes up sputtering and splashing around till he grabs onto an outcropping. He is a bit embarrased but otherwise unharmed.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Looks like we need to swim into the cave," says Eddie. "We'll have the best chance if we all stick together."

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:44 am
by BenTheRat
The 4 of you get into the water, and holding onto each other and the wall, all of you can easily make it over to where the cave entrance is.

The top of the cave is only a few feet below the surface, but you can't tell how far back it goes.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:33 am
by Tabs
Before they all get in:

"Do we leave our guns on the bank?--I was thinking of their firing mechanism," said Alyssa."The dynamite 'll still work though. Or... send in someone, who swims back when chased, and a reception committee blast the monster on this side of the pond?"

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Guns can still fire even after they've been in the water," says Eddie. "They got covered in all sorts of mud in the trenches in the Great War, and they still worked after that. I don't like the idea of anyone acting as bait - especially not you. I say we all go in together."

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:46 am
by Tabs
"Yes, I agree," said Alyssa. "I didn't realise that about guns. Let's all go then."

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:12 pm
by BenTheRat
You all pack away your guns and dive under the water entering the cave mouth. You only go about 10 feet and it opens into a pool of an underground cave. There are steps here carved into the rock to make it very easy to walk in and out. There is still water on the cave floor where something really large exited the pool. You can see the water trail leads to the only exit out of here.

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"This probably leads to the cave with the cages and the pools we found earlier," whispers Eddie. "That must be how it gets in and out. Let's proceed. Guns and dynamite out, everyone."

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:17 am
by Tabs
Alyssa nodded. She checked that her shotgun was loaded and her lighter to hand.

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:53 pm
by BenTheRat
As you move through the tunnel it opens into the large chamber you were in before. The water trail leads to the pit opening and ends there. The wench mechanism you had seen earlier suspended over the pit is now on the ground, knocked over.

In front of the large statue (the one you were sent to find, remember that. ) is a large symbol with dozens of smaller symbols engraved into the stone in front of the statue. You couldn't see it before because it was on the other side of the statue, blocked from view. It probably took weeks to carve it. Everything is eerily quiet.

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's down there," whispers Eddie. "We could take a look in the pit and drop some dynamite on it. If that isn't enough to kill it, it'll probably climb back out, and we'll have to finish it before it finishes us. And there's the statue. I wonder what those symbols mean?"
OOC,How big is the statue? Could we carry it?

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:01 am
by BenTheRat
The statue is about 8 feet tall and is heavier than the 4 of you can lift. It would have taken a real concerted effort to remove it from the chapel in Boston, and get it down here somehow. That or magic.

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:29 pm
by Tabs
"I'll take a photograph of the markings after, if there is an after for us," said Alyssa. "Okay, let's do it. My dynamite stick?"

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:28 pm
by Silver Priest
"Be careful Ms. Ryan!" Norman urges.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, let's be careful," says Eddie. "We'll want to make sure it's actually in there before we drop the dynamite. We can't afford to waste any more. I've only got one stick left myself. If it is down there, we should each drop a stick of dynamite in there at the same time, then hurry back away from the edge and get our guns ready. How are we supposed to get this thing back to Boston, though? We'll never carry it out of here. Is blowing it up good enough? We may need to save some dynamite for that."

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:27 am
by Tabs
Very cautiously, Alyssa crept to the pits edge, and peered over...

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:21 pm
by BenTheRat
You peer over the edge, and can only see about 10 feet down and it is black, you cannot see the bottom.

Are you shine your flashlight down in the pit?

OOC: Everyone make a listen check.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:30 pm
by Tabs
Alyssa Listen check [dice]0[/dice] (45%)

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

Eddie does not hear anything, but he moves forward to try to protect Alyssa.
OOC,Listen roll (55% skill) in the room with the pit: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:30 pm
by BenTheRat
Alyssa are you shining your flashlight down?

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:17 am
by Silver Priest
Spoiler:
Richard [dice]0[/dice]

Norman [dice]1[/dice]

Both pass

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:28 am
by Tabs
No. What did Alyssa hear?

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:41 pm
by BenTheRat
Listen check passed,Those that passed the listen check hear a slight hissing noise, it sounds like gas leaking out of a gas line.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:50 am
by Tabs
Alyssa whispered: "I hear hissing, almost sounds like escaping gas. Do I shine a light?"

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"No," whispers Eddie, shaking his head. "It would see that. We don't want it to be aware we're here until it's too late. I'd rather you weren't near the edge of the pit at all."

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:22 am
by Tabs
Alyssa slid backwards from the edge.

"So, what do we do?"

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:54 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC: Exactly... what do we do? ;)

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:47 pm
by Silver Priest
"I heard the hissing too." Richard says. "I say we throw a stick down there and take cover. If the thing survives it's sure to be pissed, in which case we pump it full of lead as soon as it shows itself. Should take care of our problem nicely."

"But what if it's uh... not in the pit?" asks Norman.

"Where else would it be? The tracks lead right to it. This is probably the thing's nest."

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"One stick might not kill it," whispers Eddie. "We should each drop a stick in the pit, then back away fast and have our guns - or any remaining dynamite - ready for when it comes after us if it survives."

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:03 am
by Tabs
"We ought to check that it's there," said Alyssa, "like Mr. Smith said ...Flashlight, with dynamite at the ready?"

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's there, I'm sure of it," whispers Eddie. "We can't risk alerting it to our presence before we attack. I say we hit it with everything we've got while we have the advantage of surprise."

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:38 am
by Tabs
In answer Alyssa drew her cigarette lighter and slower thumbed open its lid. "I'm ready."

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:39 am
by BenTheRat
OOC: So is the plan to each person drop 1 stick of dynamite down the well?

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:51 am
by Tabs
We all light a stick, and throw it into the pit.

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:57 pm
by BenTheRat
You all light a stick and drop it into the pit. They fall about 50 feet before they hit, it doesn't sound like it hits stone,
OOC:   Everyone make a listen check.
Those that watched them go down, make a spot hidden  

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:25 am
by Silver Priest
Neither Norman or Richard look down the pit.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice] Norman

[dice]1[/dice] Richard

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:45 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie doesn't dare stick around to look down the pit, but instead he rushes away from the edge as planned, taking Alyssa by the hand to make sure she gets clear of any danger.
OOC,Listen roll (55% skill) after dropping the dynamite: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:10 am
by Tabs
Alyssa Listen [dice]0[/dice]

She didn't try to pull away from Eddie and ran with him too.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:18 pm
by BenTheRat
As everyone rushes from the opening, the 4 sticks of dynamite fall, it only takes a second or 2 and you hear them hit them bottom. But it doesn't sound like stone they are hitting, but something soft. A couple seconds later, which seems like an eternity, the dynamite goes off. The sound is loud and smoke and bits of something come up out of the shaft, a 2nd less intense explosion happens as well, and some green and yellow fire shoots up out of the pit. Not real intense, but enough to catch your eye.

Then everything calms down again.
Then a roar that chills your backbone emanates from the pit. Something sounds pissed.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Quick, more dynamite!" hisses Eddie. "Let's hit it again before it comes up!"

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:43 am
by Tabs
"Yes, yes," gasped Alyssa, wild-eyed. She turned and ran back, preparing to light another stick.

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie also hustles forward, borrowing a stick from one of the others so he can light it and drop it in the pit.

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:04 am
by BenTheRat
As you move to the pit, trying to light the 2 more sticks you hear something heavy moving towards the pit from under you.

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:14 am
by Silver Priest
"Get your weapons ready! Richard warns. He aims his Tommy Gun at the opening, Norman doing the same with his pistol( the latter after backing up several steps.)

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:21 am
by Tabs
"Oh no! Was it in some kind of cave?" said Alyssa. She'll try to judge when it's in the pit before throwing her stick.

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:38 pm
by BenTheRat
Richard and Norman get their weapons ready in case the creature shows itself, Eddie lights his dynamite and tosses it down the hole, while Alyssa lights hers and holds onto it.
Alyssa,how long are you going to hold it. and make a listen check for me.

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:20 pm
by Tabs
Alyssa Listen [dice]0[/dice]

IC Ch 11: Monster Hunting

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:22 pm
by Tabs
Alyssa Listen [dice:5qrgd7v0]0[/dice:5qrgd7v0] success

What does she hear? Edit: The roll was "36," don't know what happened?

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:01 am
by BenTheRat
Alyssa,as the dynamite hits the floor you hear footsteps running away from the pit, from under you. I need to know what you do with your stick of dynamite that is burning, the fuse is getting very short.
Everyone Else,make a listen check.

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:30 am
by Silver Priest
Spoiler:
Norman [dice]0[/dice]

Richard [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie can hear something.
OOC,I didn't get the opportunity to listen to [b]Alyssa[/b] and wait a bit before dropping my stick in the pit to make sure I hit the creature, but I think I should, especially since I passed my Listen roll. Listen roll (55% skill) going back to the pit: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:41 pm
by Tabs
Alyssa threw the stick into the pit.

"I hear footsteps beneath us?"

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:43 pm
by BenTheRat
Eddie,I was going by what you posted that you lit and threw, she heard and you also because you threw the stick in. So it really only applied to her. That's when I realized everyone should have heard it. Hope that helps.
As Eddie's stick hits the ground, you all hear loud footsteps running away from the pit, but underneath you. You see Alyssa's eyes widen as she understands the implications of what that means.
The stick of dynamite still burning in her hand, she thinks about pulling the fuse, but it's so short at this point, she hurls it into the pit. It doesn't even get half way down before it and the one at the bottom go off.

While the explosion isn't as large, the one half way down is much louder. Dust and dirt and something sticky comes flying up and lands on those still by the pit.

You note there is not a secondary explosion this time.

All is quiet down in the pit.

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think the dynamite we dropped the first time killed the creature," says Eddie, "but who could be down there? It sounded like someone running. Are we going to have to climb down there?"

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:48 am
by BenTheRat
It's easy to tell the footsteps you heard were from something much larger than man sized.

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:25 am
by Tabs
Alyssa will investigate the "something sticky."

"More of 'em?"

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:58 pm
by BenTheRat
You look at what blew up from the hole. There appears to be some sort of tissue and small bones.
Alyssa,make a spot hidden check, Also make a 2nd check and use your best skill of medicine or biology. Or if you can make an argument for a different skill to determine tissue samples make that.

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we blew up its nest," says Eddie, "or rather, her nest. This must be what's left of the eggs, and now mama's angry..."

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:43 pm
by Tabs
Alyssa Spot Hidden [dice]0[/dice] Medicine [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:57 pm
by BenTheRat
Alyssa,you find pieces of fleshy colored tissue, and blood, but you can't tell anything specific about it.

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:59 pm
by Tabs
"I can confidently say this stuff is a bloody mess," announced Alyssa. "Shall we take a peek into the pit?"

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"Okay, but let's not climb down there just yet," says Eddie. He readies his shotgun and peers down into the pit when Alyssa shines her light down it.

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:26 pm
by BenTheRat
As you shine your lights down in the pit, you can see the small damage to the walls about 25 feet down. The bottom you can estimate is about 50 feet down. You can see with your lights there are 3 large tunnels leading out of the pit at the bottom. There was very little damage to the walls from the dynamite. There is a pile of fleshy looking goo at the bottom.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"If we have to go down there," says Eddie, "we'll need to use the mechanism they set up to lower people down into the pit. Those people were helpless, but at least we'll be armed. On the other hand, it might be better to just collapse or fill in the pit, as long as this is the only way in or out of it. Then we don't have to expose ourselves to danger."

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:16 am
by Silver Priest
"I'm in favor of collapsing the pit," Norman says a bit too quickly.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:59 am
by Tabs
"How do we collapse the pit?" asked Alyssa.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't know," says Eddie. "Dropping the dynamite down the pit didn't do the trick. Maybe if we placed dynamite in the right places, we could cause a cave-in that would fill the pit with rubble, but I'm no engineer. We don't have much of it left, so we'd have to be sure we knew what we were doing."

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:50 am
by Tabs
Alyssa held up her hand."I need privacy, if you all know what I mean."

She marched back to the pool.

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:58 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC: FYI, I am here and reading every day. Just waiting on you guys to do something. Enjoying the roleplay.

The cave is eerily quiet except for your voices and a dripping sound in the moist cave.

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:17 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie politely turns his back. He has come to trust the brilliance of Alyssa's ideas, but he wishes she wouldn't place herself in danger. "Please, be careful," he says.

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:11 am
by Silver Priest
Richard follows Alyssa, keeping watch. Though he won't admit it he's come to trust her ideas.

"Promise I won't peek." It's hard to tell if he's being honest.

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:03 am
by Tabs
"My 'walk of shame' needs be unaccompanied, thank you, Mr. Rahl."
keeper,Once at the pool she'll swim back to the quarry.

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:35 pm
by BenTheRat
Alyssa disappears around the corner of the small tunnel, leaving the 3 of you in the chamber looking awkwardly at each other.
Alyssa Only,you go into the pool and swim back to the quarry, having made the swim before it isn't that difficult. Make a swim *2 check.

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie waits for Alyssa to return, listening for any sign of trouble.

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:06 am
by Tabs
keeper,Swim [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:34 pm
by BenTheRat
Alyssa Only,you make it out of the tunnel and surface outside in the quarry. It is now dark outside, the sun has gone down, and the water looks pitch black.
The wait for Alyssa starts to drag out and become uncomfortable as the 3 men stand around waiting for the 1 lady to return.
All except Alyssa,please make a listen check

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:49 pm
by Tabs
keeper,She'll climb to the car.

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:31 pm
by BenTheRat
Alyssa only,Make the Dex *8 check to climb up.

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:32 pm
by Silver Priest
Spoiler:
Norman [dice]0[/dice] pass

Richard [dice]1[/dice] fail

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie hears nothing unusual.
OOC,Listen roll (55% skill) in the cave: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:18 am
by BenTheRat
Norman only,you hear a splash like someone swimming

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:57 am
by Tabs
keeper,DEX [dice]0[/dice] Are the car keys under the sun shield?

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:31 pm
by BenTheRat
Alyssa Only,as you approach the car you see Aunt Loosa taking a little nap in the car. "Oh dear, you look ghastly, and soaked, where are the others?" She has the keys.

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:52 pm
by Tabs
keeper,"I feel it, Auntie. Is there a rug or something? To be honest, I forgot that you were here. It's suicide down there. I've had it!" she shouts, and began to cry.

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:56 pm
by BenTheRat
Alyssa only,"[color=#0000FF]Oh dear,[/color]" she gets out of the car and hugs Alyssa.[color=#0000FF] "I don't have a rug, but I imagine about any of the houses around here does. If the others are...[/color]" she trails off refusing to admit the others are dead.[color=#0000FF] "At least you made it out,. If it's only the two of us left, we need to probably head back to Boston."[/color]

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:35 pm
by Silver Priest
"I heard something," says Norman. "It sounded like a someone swimming. Probably just Ms. Ryan. I uh, hope."

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"I hope so too," says Eddie. "If one of those creatures is down there with her...How strong did the strokes sound?"

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:22 am
by BenTheRat
Norman,it sounded like a normal sized person splash.

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:56 am
by Tabs
keeper,"No, no houses--I'd rather risk hypothermia." Alyssa looked at the ground. "Horrible." To Aunt Loosa: "I wanna go home to Boston."

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:19 pm
by BenTheRat
Alyssa,lets move you to a different thread so you don't have to keep using spoiler buttons. Don't read this thread anymore, instead go [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=308&t=5883]here.[/url]

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:20 pm
by Silver Priest
"Like a normal splash. I ah, don't think it was one of the creatures."

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:57 pm
by BenTheRat
It now seems like it has been more than enough time for her to have finished her business.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a relief," says Eddie, exhaling, "but she still should have been back by now. I'm getting worried. Maybe I should follow her."

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:31 am
by Silver Priest
"Maybe she's dead. The thing got her."

"Mr. Rahl! That's hardly a thing to be saying." says Norman.

"All I'm pointing out is that if it got her, chances are it can get the officer here too. And any of us, if we go off on our own. So either we should all go back to the surface together, or we should wait here. No more splitting up.

Norman looks towards Eddie. "I'll leave it up to you Officer."

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:27 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC: So what is the plan guys?

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"There's a third choice," says Eddie, refusing to consider the possibility that something horrible has happened to Alyssa. "We all follow her."

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:07 am
by Silver Priest
"Works for me," Richard shrugs. Norman nods and follows.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:23 pm
by BenTheRat
The 3 of you all walk together towards the cave, one of you calls out, but gets no response. You walk into the cave with the pool that leads to the quarry, a bit worried you would find her hunched over the pool, but the cave is deadly silent.

There is no sign of Alyssa at all.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"She must have gone back out through the pool," says Eddie.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:46 am
by Silver Priest
"Should we ah, follow?" asks Norman.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we'd better," says Eddie, leading the way.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:32 am
by BenTheRat
The three of you get into the water and make your way to the end of the tunnel. As you exit out of the tunnel and look up you see Alyssa walking at the top of the quarry heading towards where you had your car parked.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:03 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie waves to Alyssa, trying to get her attention without making noise if possible.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:33 pm
by BenTheRat
She doesn't seem to notice you as she moves out of your site.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:47 pm
by Silver Priest
"Ms. Ryan!" Norman hisses, his voice a harsh whisper.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:29 pm
by BenTheRat
As you sit in the water you hear nothing for a bit, then doors opening and closing, then a car starting... and then a car driving away.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Alyssa, wait!" calls Eddie as soon as the car starts, already starting to make his way back up to the road. "Come on, we'd better follow her!"

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:29 am
by BenTheRat
You know it will take you a couple minute to get over to the stairs and another few minutes to get up the stairs. So you will easily be almost 10 minutes behind them.

But you make your way over to the stairs, and start to climb the stairs.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:29 pm
by BenTheRat
As you get to the top of the cliff you run to the 2nd car you see the car Aunt Loosa was in turn as if heading out of town.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:04 pm
by Silver Priest
"Where are they going?" asks Norman.

"Well boys, looks like it's just us. The womenfolk have seen fit to leave the hard job to us men."

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm just as glad they're out of harm's way," says Eddie, getting behind the wheel of his own car and starting the engine, "but we can still catch up with them if we hurry."

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:09 am
by BenTheRat
The 3 of you jump in the car, you speed to catch up, as you turn the corner onto main street you see their car has come to a stop at the intersection of Main and Railroad where the Hardware store is.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"They aren't running away," says Eddie. "Alyssa has a plan, and it involves getting stuff from the hardware store. I'd have thought the place would have been picked clean, but maybe there's still some left."

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:05 pm
by Silver Priest
"I never doubted her," Norman admits proudly. Richard scoffs and rolls his eyes.

"Well shall we go see what the dame's up to? She might need our help." he moves to get out of the car.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, let's go in and see if we can help," says Eddie, parking his car nearby. "Maybe she's thought of filling the hole with cement. If so, she'll need our help to carry it. That stuff's heavy."

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:52 pm
by BenTheRat
Everyone, please move to this thread here