Page 1 of 1

IC: 6a: Back to the Books: Richard, Norman, Charles

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:04 am
by BenTheRat
You make it to the library without incident.

Re: IC: 6a: Back to the Books: Richard, Norman, Charles

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:27 pm
by Silver Priest
Norman looks at the others. "I think I will, uh, look up the history of the lighthouses and see if anything leaps out to me as being connected to our current investigation."
Library use,[dice]0[/dice] 75% skill

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:31 pm
by BenTheRat
Norman you find the following:

Also known as Cape Ann Light Station, these twin lights are the only surviving multiple lights on the coasts of the United States. The original 45-foot towers were constructed and lit in 1789—making them among the oldest of America’s lighthouses. The stout 124 foot granite towers seen today replaced the original lights in 1861. The two towers were constructed so that when a ship sites on both towers, they point to true north—allowing sailors to check and adjust their compasses.

Thacher Island is located about a mile offshore of Rockport. The island may be viewed from several locations in Rockport and from the Bass Rocks (Atlantic Road) in Gloucester.

European visitors to Thacher Island date back at least to Samuel de Champlain in 1605 and Capt. John Smith in 1614. The island was later named for Anthony Thacher, an Englishman whose vessel, the Watch and Wait, was wrecked in a ferocious storm near the island in 1635 on its way to Marblehead from Ipswich.

Thacher and his wife, Elizabeth, were the only survivors of the wreck in which 21 people died. Four of Thacher's children from a previous marriage died in the wreck, and his cousin, Reverend Joseph Avery, died along with his wife and six children. The General Court awarded Anthony Thacher the island "at the head of Cape Ann" to recompense him for his losses, and he originally dubbed the island "Thacher's Woe."

The island remained in the Thacher family for 80 years. It eventually was bought back by the Massachusetts colonial government at a cost of 500 pounds for the purpose of establishing a light station.

In 1775 the lighthouses were put out to keep the British from using them for Navigation. The lights stayed dark until 1793.

The keepers have all followed the sea. Only sailors are capable of appreciating the responsibility that the station imposes. One of the keepers said to me—and habitual care is stamped upon the faces of these men — "We know how eyes may be strained in thick weather at sea to get hold of the light; and that makes us painfully anxious to keep it up to its full power, especially when frosts or sea-scud dims the lantern; for that is the very time when minutes count for hours on board ship."

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:42 pm
by Medri
Charles dives into the books aswell.
Ben,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4744002/]1d100=69[/url]

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:56 am
by BenTheRat
Charles,what are you trying to research?

Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:09 am
by DrVendetta
Richard walks up to Brians desk looking for Brian and says "Goodmorning how is Brian today?" after Brian responds Richard cuts to the chase by asking "So what did Brian find about True Enlightenment?"

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:26 am
by BenTheRat
"Brian is doing excellent today, did you see the sunrise over the ocean this morning, my God it was fabulous. He really did a great job this morning. Brian was sitting out on the end of the wharf, and just took it all in," he says.

He seems put off by your direct and to the point question. "Well, Brian never," you hear him mumble. Then his eyes lit up as he turns back to you with some scratch notes. "Brian found what you were looking for. This was part of an old slogan, that read, 'For those seeking True Enlightenment attend the Chapel of Contemplation and Church of our Lord, GoS at The Old Sloop.'" He looks down at the paper again and looks back at you. "That's all Brian found. It was a small article in the flyer being printed around that time in the early 1800's."

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:37 am
by DrVendetta
Richard replies back with a smile on his face "Brian is very good at finding things, does Brian rember everything once Brian reads it once?"

after waiting on the answer to the question Richard will then ask "Has Brian ever read anything about 'GoS at The Old Sloop' ?"

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:55 pm
by BenTheRat
He looks at you quizzically like there is something wrong with you. "Not everything." Then to your second question, "Brian doesn't know what GoS stands for, but the Old Sloop is the old meeting house they used as a church. There were 3-4 different churches meeting there, until they got their own buildings finished. They were always trying to steal each others members."

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:15 am
by Medri
Ben,general information about the town and the mysteries we encountered here

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:48 am
by DrVendetta
Richard replies back to Brian "Does Brian know where the Chapel of Contemplation they built is located at?"

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:53 pm
by BenTheRat
Medri,You find the following on the background of the city. What mysteries in particular are you wanting to know about: efore the coming of the English explorers and colonists, Cape Ann was home to a number of Native American villages, inhabited by members of the Agawam tribe. Samuel de Champlain named the peninsula "Cap Aux Isles" in 1605, and his expedition may have landed there briefly. By the time the first Europeans founded a permanent settlement at Gloucester in 1623, most of the Agawams had been killed by diseases caught from early contacts with Europeans. The area that is now Rockport was simply an uninhabited part of Gloucester for more than 100 years, and was primarily used as a source of timber—especially pine-for shipbuilding. The area around Cape Ann was also one of the best fishing grounds in New England. In 1743, a dock was built at Rockport harbor on Sandy Bay and was used for both timber and fishing. By the beginning of the 19th century, the first granite quarries were developed, and by the 1830s, Rockport granite was being shipped to cities and towns throughout the East Coast of the United States. Rockport had consisted primarily of large estates, summer homes, and a small fishing village while Gloucester was becoming increasingly urbanized. Rockport was set off as a separate town in 1840 as its residents desired a separate enclave with an identity of its own, and was incorporated in 1840. As the demand for its high-grade granite grew during the Industrial Revolution, the quarries of Rockport became a major source of the stone. In 1856, a gang of 200 women led by Hannah Jumper swept through the town and destroyed anything containing alcohol in what is called "Rockport's revolt against rum" and banned alcohol from the town.

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:59 pm
by BenTheRat
Brian looks offended by what you say but continues, "Brian has never heard of a Chapel of Contemplation in Rockport. We have only the 3 churches, The Old Sloop also known as the Congregational Church, The Pigeon Cove Chapel, and the Universal Church." He picks up a book and begins to walk off, "Now if you will excuse me, Brian has work to do."

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:35 am
by DrVendetta
Richard walks over to check on what Norman and Charles have found.

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:19 pm
by Silver Priest
Norman looks up from his research. "Oh, hello Richard. I've been looking into the history of the lighthouses. These are the only surviving multiple lights on either coast in America, isn't' that interesting?

"They were uh, constructed in 1789, but the ones we now see today were built in 1861. They point true north, helping many uh, sailors find their way to the safety of shore.

"As for Thacher Island, it's about a mile away from town. It was named for a Mr. uh, Anthony Thacher, whose ship wrecked near there in 1635. He and his wife Elisabeth were the only, uh, survivors. Several of their children were lost, as were the lives of their cousin and his family. A terrible tragedy. Thacher was given the island in compensation, and it was originally called Thacher's Woe. Rather ghastly.

"What else? Oh yes, the island was purchased from Thacher's family 80 years later to uh, build a light house. The island was dark from 1775 to 179...3, in order to keep the British from making use of it. Since then it has apparently been in constant use.

"All the keepers of the lighthouse have been sailors. There's a quote here, let me see... ah, yes!

""We know how eyes may be strained in thick weather at sea to get hold of the light; and that makes us painfully anxious to keep it up to its uh, full power, especially when frosts or sea-scud dims the lantern; for that is the very time when minutes count for hours on board ship."

"Fascinating history, all told."

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:26 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard listens closely to Norman then replies, "Yes it is"

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:45 pm
by Silver Priest
"Indeed. But I'm sorry, I am uh, blathering. What did you find out Richard?" asks Norman.

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:31 pm
by DrVendetta
"Well that plaque we saw actually was a part of a slogan that said 'For those seeking True Enlightenment attend the Chapel of Contemplation and Church of our Lord, GoS at The Old Sloop.' The Chapel of Contemplation was the Church where all of our previous issues started at in Boston. This slogan was from a article that was printed in the 1800's." Richard tells Norman then continues "We will have to do some research on the Church at the City Records office, see if we can find any history on where it was built at, if it is still around. Maybe you can look up information here in the newspaper records for any reports about it?"

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:26 pm
by Silver Priest
Norman nods. "Good idea. I'll get started."

He goes and looks up any information or mentions on the mysterious church.
Library Use,[dice]0[/dice] target 75%

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:59 am
by BenTheRat
You search for an hour and cannot find any mention of the church in any of the old newspapers.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:14 am
by DrVendetta
"Well I think we need to move to the City Records building what do you think?" Richard ask Norman as he looks around for Charles who he hasent seen in a while.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:24 pm
by Silver Priest
"That seems like our best lead at the moment. I can't find anything on this church in these records," Norman says, frustrated. "Perhaps we'll have better luck at Records."

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:06 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard walks out of the Library and to the car with Norman (I am assuming Charles is still with us?).

Richard starts the car and proceeds to drive over the the records office while driving Richard ask Norman "So what do you think do you have any ideas on this yet?"

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:07 am
by Medri
Charles is lost in thoughts about what could be done with the information that was gathered but decides to go along with what the others think is best and accompany them to the car, he walks fast to catch up with them.

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:25 pm
by BenTheRat
You have an uneventful ride to the city records building. As you enter you see the same clerk you did yesterday.

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:43 pm
by Silver Priest
"It's difficult to say. I don't have as much experience with any of this as uh, you or the others. But I suspect if we find more information about this church, we'll find more about what precisely Phil intends to do. Maybe even figure out where he is currently residing."

Once they arrive at records, Norman lets Richard handle the receptionist, assuming they have a history.

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:48 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard walks up to the clerk smiles and says "Good morning, I hope you are having a nice day today. We are looking for records on church called The Chapel of Contemplation and Church of our Lord. Currently I know it was one of several churches that was using the Old Sloop meeting house until they built there own church. I know that the Church was producing flyers to try to draw people to their Church in the early 1800s. So any records that you could help direct us to such as Registration of Churches and or religious organizations, Building permits as I know they built a Church back then, deeds, tax records, possibly even any police or legal complaints by the Church or against the Church"

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:33 am
by BenTheRat
It doesn't take a psych test to see Nathan get real nervous and look back and forth to the 2 other people sitting at tables in the room. He stares at you for a minute and begins to write, "No church by that name was ever in Rockport." he mouths out as loud as he could.

Then in smaller letters he looks at you and writes the word, 'why? write it, keep it short.'

And he looks at you again.

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:19 am
by Medri
Charles feel a bit puzzled and nervous at the same time, looking from one to the other.

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:55 am
by DrVendetta
Richard writes a quick note "This Church has caused a lot of trouble, we need to find its origin" and Richard slids the paper back to the man, he then grabs a form and writes a second quick message "Are we being watched?" and hands it to the clerk"

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:18 pm
by BenTheRat
He quickly writes 'Not here, 224 School st, 9 pm. Say -- I won't help you.' and hands you the note with a matter of fact look.

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:02 am
by DrVendetta
Richard looks down at the note and the looks back the the man and says "I won't help you" and he gives the man a slight look of acknowledgement and then says "Well these are public records we will just look for our selfves" Richard crumples the paper up in his fist turns to Norman and Charles and say's "Come on looks like we are going to have to dig through the records our selves" and he starts walking towards the records signaling Norman and Charles to follow him as he walks back into the room with the files.

Once they reach the records Richard places the crumpled piece of paper in his pocket says to Norman "Ok lets look at these again and see if we can figure out how the filing system works here" and Richard starts looking through one of the filing cabinets to try to decifer the filing system.
Ben,Here is my library roll for this[dice]0[/dice] WOOT! I believe that was a big success with at 65% library skill

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:48 pm
by BenTheRat
Dr. V,what are you looking for, stuff on the chapel?

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:17 pm
by DrVendetta
Ben,As I stated in the post I was trying to figure out 'how' the filing system works so I could then figure out where to look for what. Based on the description of the room from the first time we were here I doubt we would randomly find the right cabinet to be looking into for a specific topic or file without figuring out the filing system.

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:46 am
by BenTheRat
Dr. V,because it was a crit success I will let it work. Normally you can't do that.
As you peer through the different labels, all the sudden this weird system seems to make sense.
Dr V,you may now get +20% on any library use rolls in here.

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:14 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard says to the others "Ok this is starting to make a little more sense to me today, what do we want to look up while we are here?"
Richard looks to the others as he says that but he is actively looking around for anyone who maybe watching them oor following them around in the offices here.

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:53 pm
by BenTheRat
In the records room itself you 3 are the only ones there.

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:48 pm
by Silver Priest
"The church would probably be our best bet," Norman suggests. "It seems to possess a bit of uh, infamy within the town. Surely there's something in the Records about that. I'll check that out, if you like."

Assuming Richard agrees, Norman gets to work looking up any records on the Church of Contemplation.
Library Use,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:55 am
by BenTheRat
Norman not only doesn't find anything, he gets a severe paper-cut.
Norman,you don't actually suffer any "life points" but it hurts, bad, making further research impossible for you today.

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:25 pm
by Silver Priest
"Ow!" Norman looks up from his research and nurses his finger, which is bleeding a healthy amount. "I'm sorry Richard, but I simply cannot continue to research. I just cut my finger and that makes further searching uh, impossible. You and Charles will have to take it from here."

He heads to a corner and sucks on his finger in hopes of stopping the bleeding. He feels faint and hopes he does not pass out.
Spoiler:
At least Norman did not get everyone kicked out, I suppose. ;)

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:53 am
by Medri
Charles looks through the files to see if he gets any more infirmation about the church.
Ben,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4750581/]1d100=76[/url]

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:29 pm
by BenTheRat
Charles,at first you are having a hard time, but after Richard helps you understand the system you feel pretty confident with it. You find what you think should have a list of of Church registrations, but the paper looks too new for the dates listed. OOC: Make a spot hidden roll.

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:54 am
by Medri
Ben,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4753354/]1d100=26[/url]

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:15 pm
by BenTheRat
Charles, while looking at the list, it looks like there is a sequential numbering, but one of the numbers is missing.
So either they skipped a number or someone retyped the list and left one out.

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:23 pm
by Medri
Charles hums for himself thinking about what he read and tries to show Richard what he found and the numbers in a quiet way.

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:57 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard looks over to Charles to see what he is reviewing to see what seems to be puzzeling him.

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:33 am
by BenTheRat
Charles points out what is a Church registry for the city of Rockport. Many churches have started and closed. And as each new church is registered a sequential serial number is given to each church.

But there is a number missing. So either someone skipped that number, or when it was retyped, they left one out.

By looking at the list, you can tell there are 2 current churches registered in Rockport, and that is all.

The Congregational Church
and
The Universalist Church

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:01 am
by Medri
Charles turns to Richard: "Do you think we should visit any of these churches? Something seems quite... Odd with them... But I'm not sure what to make of this whole thing."

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:22 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC,If you are really stuck for ideas, and aren't sure what to do, I'll let you make an idea roll.

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:40 pm
by Silver Priest
Still nursing his wounded finger, Norman looks at the information the others have gathered.

"It appears that the CoC was never registered as an official church. Someone had to know about it though; notice that one of the numbers is missing. I'd uh, wager that that's this church Phil is interested in, but it pulled some strings to ensure it would not be present in the official records."

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:31 pm
by Medri
Ben,Idea roll: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4759918/]1d100=5[/url]

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:33 pm
by BenTheRat
Medri,As mentioned, there are probably so many churches in town. They should all be registered. If one is not on the list, that is probably the suspect church.

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:32 am
by DrVendetta
Richard stares at the list then says "Well I think are list is definitley a church but the questions is which one." Richard looks down the list for the last few Churches that were addedto the registry

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:24 pm
by BenTheRat
The last few churches added were all marked as closed. This included:
St. Johns Catholic Church
First Baptist of Rockport
Community Methodist Church
and United Faith Congregation Church

There have been about a dozen churches register and close since the registration started back in the 1600's.

Looking at the list, only the 2 I posted earlier are the only ones still in operation.

Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:44 pm
by Medri
Charles turns to Richard: "Maybe we should look into the congregational church and the universalist church first, but make a note of the information we gathered here if we need it later on?"

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:23 am
by Silver Priest
"An excellent idea. " Norman says. "Do we suspect the cult is centered in one of these two churches? If so, I think we should tell the others and investigate both of them to determine if either is our quarry."

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:08 am
by BenTheRat
There are addresses listed for both churches.

The Congregational Church is on 10 School Street

The Universalist Church is at 12 Cleaves Street

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:56 am
by DrVendetta
Richard says "Lets see if we can find out who owned the buildings they are in prior to them opening and if there are any records of complaints about either of them." With that Richard starts to look up the records for who owns the buildings at the listed addresses and whom they were aquired from.

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:03 pm
by BenTheRat
Richard,you still need to make a library use roll, but get +10% on it.

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:27 am
by Medri
Charles starts to look through the information aswell.
Ben,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4768505/]1d100=63[/url]

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:06 am
by BenTheRat
You find that the Congregational church was built in 1755 as a community effort and was originally owned by the community. In 1825 the Congregational Church purchased it.

The Universalist Church was built in 1821 by the Universalist Benevolent Society of Gloucester. And is still owned by them.

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:54 pm
by Silver Priest
"Perhaps we should meet up with the others, and each agree to investigate a church," Norman suggests. "We may want to look into this Universalist Benevolent Society more as well, see if they keep to themselves or engage with the community."

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:04 am
by DrVendetta
Ben,Sorry here is the library roll [dice]0[/dice] not sure whats up with the roller go ahead and roll for me on the library roll

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:26 am
by BenTheRat
Dr V,the dice roller seemed to work fine. You find the same thing Charles found earlier.

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:47 am
by Medri
Charles turns to Norman:

"Sounds like a plan. Maybe we should eat something and drink some coffee or tea as well to clear the mind and gain some energy while we talk it through and divide assignments. It might also be a good idea to write some of this down before we leave. Or what do you think?"

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:58 am
by DrVendetta
Richard nods his head in agreement as he is writing down all of the details on his pad.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:40 pm
by Silver Priest
"That sounds good to me," Norman says, nursing his injured finger.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:50 pm
by Medri
Charles nodds. "Then as soon as it is written down, lets depart."

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:06 pm
by BenTheRat
You write down everything you find, put everything back how you had it and leave the room. The room still has a few people sitting at the desks and you see the clerk glance up at you as you leave. Several other patrons look at you as well. None look particularly suspicious, just looking up because you made a noise to break their concentration.

As you leave the building and head to your car you see a line of thunderstorms is heading your way from the North. The wind has picked up a lot and your first thoughts are of your friends who took the boat ride out to the lighthouses. It looks like it could be a big one. Flags are flapping wildly and awnings hanging over businesses look like they could rip off at any minute.

OOC,I was waiting for you to say where you were going, but nobody did, so I'm going to give you a bit of a push here to get things moving.

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:57 am
by DrVendetta
Before leaving Richard will pull up a city plan to check where the Churchs are loctaed at and jot down some quick directons, he will also jot down how to get to 224 School street as well.

Richard gets into the car and then says "Lets check out the Universial Church first"

With that he starts driving the car towards the Universial church site, he tries to take a route that allows him to drive down School street if at all possible.

"As he starts driving Richard keeps a sharp look out to see if they are being followed.

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:26 am
by BenTheRat
You can go drive up and down School St but its not really on the way. 224 is a nice home, as you drive back down school street you see the Congregational Church. It is extremely old, but still in amazing shape.

You get down to main street go a block and then head up Cleaves St. where you see the Universalists church.

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:43 am
by DrVendetta
Richard parks on the street a few buildings down from the Universal Church. "Anyone have any ideas on how we ask questions at the church?"

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:42 pm
by Medri
Charles looks at the sky and thinks for a second. "Hm... I guess we should take it easy to not make anyone worried, at least to begin with..."

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:45 pm
by Silver Priest
"Perhaps we should pose as journalists researching on the various branches of Christianity in old New England?" Norman meekly suggests. "Doubtful they'll tell us much relevant to the investigation, but we can at least get a feel for the churches, their layouts, and their members. Then if they strike us as suspicious, we can inform the others and pay them another visit."

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:46 am
by DrVendetta
Richard ask "Do you are up to playing the role of the reporter Norman? I am afraid that I might spoke them and I don't think that I would come off very well as a reporter. The other thing to consider if they are associated with this they probably do not want any press coverage, but I am open to this option"
OOC:   Ben I am still looking for a time of day check if you could work that in  

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:40 am
by BenTheRat
As it reaches noon you hear a clock chime across the city. And rain begins to fall.

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:19 am
by Silver Priest
"If they are hostile to speak to us that may tell us they are the ones we seek. Really, I am more interested in how they react to our requests as opposed to what they say. Hesitance or hostility at our request can be damming as guilt." Norman seems pleased with himself for thinking of that.

"As for me being the reporter, well, I uh, I could try I suppose. But I'm not all that good at talking with people, much less interviewing them."

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:37 am
by DrVendetta
Richard says to Norman "You're right Norman" turns to Charles and says with a big smile on his face "Think you could cover the reporter bit Charles, we will follow your lead."

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:46 am
by Medri
Charles looks at them both. "I'm not sure if I'm the type to come of as a journalist and I don't know about my people skills either... But offcourse I could give it a try. What do you think?"

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:43 am
by DrVendetta
Richard chuckles a little bit at Normans statements and then says "I think that Charles might be the better chice here, Charles what do you say?"
OOC:   Did we loose Charles? If so I am ok with you doing it Norman  

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:33 pm
by Medri
Charles looks a bit nervous. "Hm... I guess I'll give it a try then, but I'm not sure what to say, any ideas?"
OOC:   I wrote just before you the same day Richard, so I'm here. I hope it's visable?  

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:25 pm
by Silver Priest
"Perhaps enter the church and seek out the uh, religious figure on duty. Explain to them you are doing some research on religion in New England. See how they react to your presence and your answers.

"You know, if you do not feel confident, perhaps I could attempt an interview. I could be like a spy in one of those penny novels. My, how fascinating!" The prospect freshly excited Norman.

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:44 am
by DrVendetta
Richard replies "Well with my face I just think that one of you two would get a better reaction from them then me so which ever one of you wants to try it I am good to go." and Richard pulls out his pad and pin and slants his hat slightly forward to try to hide a little of his facial scars and looks to Charles and Norman to see which one takes the lead ready to follow.

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:15 am
by Medri
Charles stretches his arms a bit. "I think you would be the best at this after all Norman. But if it helps I could play a resercher or something who works with you and help with some questions if you take the lead. If you think it's a good idea."

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:25 am
by Silver Priest
Norman nods. "That could work. You can take notes as I ask the, uh, questions. As for you Richard, you are welcome to come as well, if you would like."

Taking a breath for courage, Norman strolls up to the front of the church and knocks loudly on the door.

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:35 pm
by BenTheRat
Its a regular looking church, you rap on the door loudly and there is no response. You hear the echoes inside the church from your knocking. As you wait, it begins to rain, and the wind picks up.

You wait for a few minutes and eventually a man opens the door. He is rather plump looking, his face is red and flushed. He has gray hair, you'd estimate 60 years of age. He looks at the 3 of you and opens the door wider, "Please come in, the Universalist Church is always welcome to all. Please come in before the storm hits." He smiles as he is waving you in.

Inside, the church is very large. Pews are lined up in rows and lit looks like it would seat well over 100 people. Stain glass windows line the walls and beautiful sculptures of Jesus and the Virgin Mary grace small alcoves around the room.

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:28 am
by Silver Priest
Just as Norman suspects no one will answer, the door opens. He smiles thankfully at the host.

"Thank you. We are most grateful." He looks around, taking the majesty in. These old churches were marvelous creatures.

"Forgive me for disturbing your communion good sir, but permit me to introduce myself. My name is Norman Smith. I'm a librarian and researcher from Boston. These are my assistants, Richard and Charles. I'm uh, writing a book on religion in small communities in Massachusetts, and thought Rockport looked like a perfect place to conduct my research. I was hoping, if it is not too much of a bother of course, that I could ask you some questions about the Universalist Church and its creed?"

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:55 am
by Medri
Charles smiles and nod as a greeting while holding pen and paper ready in his pocket to pick up if the man inside the church accept the inteview.

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:31 am
by DrVendetta
Richard with his notepad and pencil in hand looks around the inside of the church playing his part.

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:10 am
by BenTheRat
As you walk in and introduce yourself the elderly man looks outside and shuts the door. As he turns back to you, he looks even more flush than before, "I've already passed your tests once. I won't rat on you. Please leave me and my congregation in peace."

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:19 am
by Silver Priest
Norman raises an eyebrow. "I beg your pardon? "

"We are not saboteurs, if that is your fear. But you're not the first to react with unease at our asking of questions around town. What group troubles the town, casting such a pallor on such a pleasant community? You've no reason to trust me, to trust uh, us, but I'd be willing to swear upon a stack of bibles we mean the good folks of Rockport no harm."

Persuade roll just in case it's needed [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:00 pm
by BenTheRat
He looks like he is about to say something, then turns away. "What, there is no group troubling our town." He starts walking towards the pews, he is gathering up song booklets. "You are here to do a story, very well, what can I tell you? We are only a small community and our congregation humble. Of the three churches in the community, we have probably the smallest congrgation."

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:20 pm
by Silver Priest
"Forgive me for prying, but you mentioned that you had already passed 'our tests.' That suggests to me you are in fear of some person or group residing within Rockport." Norman points out as gently as he's able.

"Truth be told, we're investigators from Boston. The trail of a fiend named Phil led us here. Recent investigations have told us he has connections to one of the churches in town, but we cannot be sure which one. But you mentioned three churches. There were only two listed in the records.
Where is the third church, Reverend? Are they the ones troubling you
?"

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:32 am
by BenTheRat
The obviously flustered man answers, "I never said there were any troubles, you said that. And everyone knows there are 3 churches here in Rockport, ours, the Congregational and the Chapel."

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:24 am
by DrVendetta
Richard speaks up "The Chapel?"

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:08 am
by BenTheRat
The man looks at you oddly, "yea the Pigeon Cove Chapel, up north on the bay."

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:14 am
by Silver Priest
"They're not listed in the records. I assume they're the cause of the trouble in Rockport? Many people in town seem to fear them, and they seem to go to uh, great lengths to conceal their uh, existence.

"The group we are with is seeking to stop them and their most unChristian practices. But it would help to know what exactly they're up to. Do you know anything further about them?" Norman asks their host, as diplomatically as he can.

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:02 pm
by BenTheRat
You hear the rain outside begin to really come down. It almost sounds like a Monsoon outside.

The priest looks at you sternly, straight in the eye. "You're not with them?" he asks in a very serious voice. And lightning strikes somewhere nearby shaking the whole building.

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:40 am
by Silver Priest
Norman shakes his head. "We're not. Indeed, we aim to stop them. There was an incident in Boston. I don't know all of the details, perhaps one of my companions could enlighten you as to it. Somehow the Chapel was involved. But the group we are with stopped it. Now we've come here to finish the uh, task."

The lightning strike made him jump. "My, what a harsh storm."

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:34 am
by DrVendetta
Richard says "I have seen the evil that they can bring to the world first hand and have vowed to help prevent them from doing any more harm to others" Richard insures that his facial scars are in full view of the light to help bring convection to the conversation.

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:53 am
by Medri
Charles looks concerned and nodds to the priest.

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:07 am
by BenTheRat
He looks unsure, looking at the front door, then to a small door at the back of the church. He looks like he could bolt at any second.
OOC,someone make another persuade roll.

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:32 am
by DrVendetta
Presuade roll,75% chance [dice]0[/dice]
try roll again,[dice]1[/dice]
ben,ok the first one was showing a a 0 when I checked it thats why i rolled a second time both of these rolls are fialures but I am ready to grab him if he tries to bolt

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:56 pm
by BenTheRat
Dr V,the 0 is an array number. If you look to edit your post, you will probably see a 0 then a 1 for your 2nd roll. You have to view it normally to see the actual result.
The elder clergy clearly doesn't believe you at all and turns to run for the back of the church.

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:58 pm
by Silver Priest
"Good sir, wait! We can protect you!"
Spoiler:
Norman will try to persuade the man himself. Failing this, he'll prepare to pursue and immobilize the poor man.
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:16 am
by DrVendetta
Richard stands prepared to physically stop the man if he tries to retreat

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:04 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC All,Each of you can make a grapple check to try and tackle him.

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:55 am
by DrVendetta
Grapple Check,25% chance [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:08 am
by Silver Priest
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Wow, Norman's had some good rolls. Perhaps he started wailing on the good reverend with his hammer.

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:59 pm
by BenTheRat
You catch the minister as he turns to run and you fall on top of him. Song booklets scatter across the floor. "Get off of me you devil worshiping hethans."

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:56 pm
by Silver Priest
Norman is as surprised as anyone that he caught the minister. Still, he holds him as tight as he can. "If we were vile men intent on doing you harm you would already be dead as soon as you considered revealing the Chapel's secrets. You have to believe us, we are fighting against this Chapel, not in support of it!"

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:08 am
by DrVendetta
Ben,my roll is appering as a 0 when I look at it so I have no idea how I did on my grapple check
Richard lends his strength calmly to Norman to help prevent the priest from running and at the same time trying to come across as calm and soothing to the priest says "Sir we are not here to harm you I promise you but we need your assistance in order to try to help you, your congregation, and your whole town. Have a little faith please."

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:03 am
by BenTheRat
Dr V,I see 0 also. Not sure why. Since Norman made his, I didn't worry about it.
He quits fighting, "Fine, feed me to the monster you have. I will not give you the satisfaction of begging."

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:31 am
by DrVendetta
Richard looks at the man with a puzzled look on his face and ask "What monster are you talking about? What monster do they have?"

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:49 pm
by Silver Priest
"We're not with the Chapel!" Norman insists, frustrated. "How can I prove this to you?"

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:15 am
by Medri
Charles looks confused and worried. He tries to speak as calm as possible "I promise you, we want to help. We do not want to feed you to any monster. We don't want monsters here at all. Please help us so that we can help you and the entire town as much as possible. Please. What monsters do you speak of?"

Ben,Persuade roll [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4794172/]1d100=20[/url]

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:01 pm
by BenTheRat
With a hesitant voice he looks at the 3 of you. "Really? If you are not with the chapel, who are you? and don't try the paper line again?"

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:01 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard says "We are a part of a group called MAPS and our sole purpose is to stop groups like the Chapel from succedding in there plans"

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:03 am
by BenTheRat
"Hahaha, maybe you should go back to your paper story it was more believable." he says.

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:45 am
by Silver Priest
"Fine." Norman releases the man and even offers to help him off the floor. "If you truly believe we intend ill, we'll see ourselves out. We are not affiliated with the foul villains of the Chapel.Yous till being alive should prove that.

"My colleague speaks the truth. I am new to MAPS, but these brave men both fought against the evil of the Chapel in Boston. Many people died. But MAPS defeated the threat. We traced it here to Rockport, and we have vowed to destroy the threat once and for all. I would hope to have the assistance of the brave and pious amongst your townsfolk. But if yous till doubt our intentions, cast us out. We shall trouble you no further."

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:01 am
by DrVendetta
Richard steps back from the man as well, suprised but happy by the directness of Norman.

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:55 pm
by BenTheRat
The man looks at each of you in turn, looking for any hint of deception. "Very well, I pray it as you say." He accepts Normans hand as the plump man seems to have a hard time getting to his feet. He looks down at the scattered choir pamphlets, but moves on walking towards the back of the church.
"My name is Father Peterson, but lets talk in my office." He leads you into a small hall through the back door, then into a room, that could be considered an office. It was very cramped for the 4 of you. He sits down in an over-sized chair that you aren't sure how they got in the room to begin with.
"Ah, that is better. Now, tell me what you know and I will help in whatever way I can."

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:19 am
by DrVendetta
After no one speaks up Richard calmly sits down across from the man and in a soothingly calm voice states "I have seen what this Chapel can do, I have seen the monster's it can call into our world. We believe that a forth coming celestial event is going to be used by the Chapel to help bring great darkness, suffering and death to this and surronding communities unless you can help us weed them out. We need to know where the Chapel is working out of, we need to know how and what they are using to intimadate all of the towns people here. You spoke of being feed to a monster, I have seen that huge trap in the back of the hardware store that is being built what do you know about that?"

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:01 am
by BenTheRat
The priest smiled, "Not forth coming, already came. They summoned it just a few days back. I read the signs, followed the stars. I knew when to look and sure enough I saw the star fall to our shores. They took him quickly. Maybe to their chapel, I'm not sure where. I did not get a good look at it, but whatever trap Ms. Smith is building, I assure you, it will not be big enough." Rev. Peterson took out his handkerchief and wiped his forehead. "If they knew I was talking to you now, I would be dead by morning."

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:13 am
by DrVendetta
Richard frowns and then replies "Who is running the Chapel? Where is it located at? This is a hard town to find a map of"

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:57 am
by Medri
Charles adds "What kind of monster and where do you think it is now?"

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:14 am
by BenTheRat
"I don't know what kind of monster it is. I never saw it up close. I just saw it fall from the skies and splash into the ocean. The Chapel is up north of the city, just follow Granite Street north and you'll see it on the right. " The reverend says. "But you have to be careful, a lot of the townsfolk are in the cult."

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:18 am
by Medri
Charles looks at the priest "Do you know of anything that might help us?"

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:09 am
by Silver Priest
"I appreciate you trusting us sir. You won't regret it." Norman reassures him.

"The other church, the Congregationalists. Are they affiliated with the Chapel as well? And would you happen to have a list of who in this town is opposed tot he cult, and who you believe we can trust. We are staying at The Woods house, and the proprietor seems not to know that any of the ill things going on in town."

"You may wish to go into hiding until we have dealt with the uh, Chapel. I would hate for you speaking to us to have put you in mortal peril. One of our companions is an officer from Boston; I am sure he can protect you.."

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:22 pm
by BenTheRat
"Thank you for the offer, but I'm going to stay where I am. Sorry if you haven't found my information helpful, sir," he says looking over at Charles. "As far as who you can trust, I'm not for sure. I know Angela at the Woods house and Christina at the Hardware store, you can trust. Both of them had their parents sacrificed recently. The chapel controls some other creatures, smaller than what was summoned last Sunday. I'm pretty sure Bradly Butterfill, the head of the chapel, is one of the leaders of the cult. That new art institute is definently involved and I think the sheriff's office is involved as well."

Reverend Peterson rolls his chair over to the window and looks out like he is expecting to see someone, "Reverend Taylor over at the Old Sloop, I use to think was a good guy, but the other night I saw people in their cult robes going in and out of his church." He sighed deeply. "Guess you can't trust anyone these days."

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:51 pm
by Silver Priest
"Thank you for your help Reverend. As mentioned we're staying at the Woods House. If you need anything or see anything you think can uh, help us, don't hesitate to call on us."

Norman waits to see if either of his companions have any final questions for the reverend.

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:06 am
by BenTheRat
"Well if you need a place to hide out, my doors are open to you." The Rev says.

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:48 am
by DrVendetta
Richard looks back at Norman and shakes his head no showing that he has no further questions then turns to start walking out of the church back to the car.

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:00 pm
by BenTheRat
As you walk towards your car, the rain is pelting down.
OOC,make a spot hidden check

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:40 am
by DrVendetta
Spot Hidden check,49% chance [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:10 pm
by BenTheRat
You don't notice anything out of the ordinary other than its raining like a hurricane blew in. You make it took the car, but you are all drenched.

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:38 pm
by Silver Priest
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice] Spot Hidden 45%

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:52 am
by BenTheRat
You made it to the car, but you are drenched. You didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:10 am
by DrVendetta
Richard tries to brush some of the water off himself and says "Man this storm looks bad, I hope the others are ok" as he looks through the window up at the clouds.
Richard then checks his watch for the time.

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:33 am
by BenTheRat
It's already close to 1 PM.

Go here.