IC: 6a: Back to the Books: Richard, Norman, Charles

August 1921, Boston.
A dead guard at the abandoned chapel, a stolen statue revealing strange numbers and a burnt postcard. A strange night sighting by a Harvard professor only 2 days later has led to too many coincidences to ignore.
Dr. Chambers is forming another MAPS team, and you have been called.

Moderator: BenTheRat

Medri
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: IC: 6a: Back to the Books: Richard, Norman, Charles

Post by Medri »

Charles looks a bit nervous. "Hm... I guess I'll give it a try then, but I'm not sure what to say, any ideas?"
OOC:   I wrote just before you the same day Richard, so I'm here. I hope it's visable?  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"Perhaps enter the church and seek out the uh, religious figure on duty. Explain to them you are doing some research on religion in New England. See how they react to your presence and your answers.

"You know, if you do not feel confident, perhaps I could attempt an interview. I could be like a spy in one of those penny novels. My, how fascinating!" The prospect freshly excited Norman.
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard replies "Well with my face I just think that one of you two would get a better reaction from them then me so which ever one of you wants to try it I am good to go." and Richard pulls out his pad and pin and slants his hat slightly forward to try to hide a little of his facial scars and looks to Charles and Norman to see which one takes the lead ready to follow.
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
Medri
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Medri »

Charles stretches his arms a bit. "I think you would be the best at this after all Norman. But if it helps I could play a resercher or something who works with you and help with some questions if you take the lead. If you think it's a good idea."
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Norman nods. "That could work. You can take notes as I ask the, uh, questions. As for you Richard, you are welcome to come as well, if you would like."

Taking a breath for courage, Norman strolls up to the front of the church and knocks loudly on the door.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

Its a regular looking church, you rap on the door loudly and there is no response. You hear the echoes inside the church from your knocking. As you wait, it begins to rain, and the wind picks up.

You wait for a few minutes and eventually a man opens the door. He is rather plump looking, his face is red and flushed. He has gray hair, you'd estimate 60 years of age. He looks at the 3 of you and opens the door wider, "Please come in, the Universalist Church is always welcome to all. Please come in before the storm hits." He smiles as he is waving you in.

Inside, the church is very large. Pews are lined up in rows and lit looks like it would seat well over 100 people. Stain glass windows line the walls and beautiful sculptures of Jesus and the Virgin Mary grace small alcoves around the room.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Just as Norman suspects no one will answer, the door opens. He smiles thankfully at the host.

"Thank you. We are most grateful." He looks around, taking the majesty in. These old churches were marvelous creatures.

"Forgive me for disturbing your communion good sir, but permit me to introduce myself. My name is Norman Smith. I'm a librarian and researcher from Boston. These are my assistants, Richard and Charles. I'm uh, writing a book on religion in small communities in Massachusetts, and thought Rockport looked like a perfect place to conduct my research. I was hoping, if it is not too much of a bother of course, that I could ask you some questions about the Universalist Church and its creed?"
Medri
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Medri »

Charles smiles and nod as a greeting while holding pen and paper ready in his pocket to pick up if the man inside the church accept the inteview.
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard with his notepad and pencil in hand looks around the inside of the church playing his part.
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

As you walk in and introduce yourself the elderly man looks outside and shuts the door. As he turns back to you, he looks even more flush than before, "I've already passed your tests once. I won't rat on you. Please leave me and my congregation in peace."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Norman raises an eyebrow. "I beg your pardon? "

"We are not saboteurs, if that is your fear. But you're not the first to react with unease at our asking of questions around town. What group troubles the town, casting such a pallor on such a pleasant community? You've no reason to trust me, to trust uh, us, but I'd be willing to swear upon a stack of bibles we mean the good folks of Rockport no harm."

Persuade roll just in case it's needed [dice]0[/dice]
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

He looks like he is about to say something, then turns away. "What, there is no group troubling our town." He starts walking towards the pews, he is gathering up song booklets. "You are here to do a story, very well, what can I tell you? We are only a small community and our congregation humble. Of the three churches in the community, we have probably the smallest congrgation."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Forgive me for prying, but you mentioned that you had already passed 'our tests.' That suggests to me you are in fear of some person or group residing within Rockport." Norman points out as gently as he's able.

"Truth be told, we're investigators from Boston. The trail of a fiend named Phil led us here. Recent investigations have told us he has connections to one of the churches in town, but we cannot be sure which one. But you mentioned three churches. There were only two listed in the records.
Where is the third church, Reverend? Are they the ones troubling you
?"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

The obviously flustered man answers, "I never said there were any troubles, you said that. And everyone knows there are 3 churches here in Rockport, ours, the Congregational and the Chapel."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard speaks up "The Chapel?"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

The man looks at you oddly, "yea the Pigeon Cove Chapel, up north on the bay."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"They're not listed in the records. I assume they're the cause of the trouble in Rockport? Many people in town seem to fear them, and they seem to go to uh, great lengths to conceal their uh, existence.

"The group we are with is seeking to stop them and their most unChristian practices. But it would help to know what exactly they're up to. Do you know anything further about them?" Norman asks their host, as diplomatically as he can.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

You hear the rain outside begin to really come down. It almost sounds like a Monsoon outside.

The priest looks at you sternly, straight in the eye. "You're not with them?" he asks in a very serious voice. And lightning strikes somewhere nearby shaking the whole building.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Norman shakes his head. "We're not. Indeed, we aim to stop them. There was an incident in Boston. I don't know all of the details, perhaps one of my companions could enlighten you as to it. Somehow the Chapel was involved. But the group we are with stopped it. Now we've come here to finish the uh, task."

The lightning strike made him jump. "My, what a harsh storm."
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard says "I have seen the evil that they can bring to the world first hand and have vowed to help prevent them from doing any more harm to others" Richard insures that his facial scars are in full view of the light to help bring convection to the conversation.

Return to “A Star on the Shore”