Page 1 of 1

IC: Ch 5a: Back to the Woods

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:55 am
by BenTheRat
ooc: For those wanting to leave and head back to the Woods, use this thread.

Re: IC: Ch 5a: Back to the Woods

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:20 pm
by BenTheRat
As you walk into the Woods House Angela looks surprised. "Oh my, I wasn't expecting you till later. Let me get dinner started right away." She bustles off to the kitchen where you can here her speaking to the cooking staff.

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:33 am
by DrVendetta
Richard ask Angela as she is walking away "Sorry we got back early Angela, how long before dinner is ready? We will need some time to clean up anyway, just let us know when we should come back down"

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Eddie to Angela. He heads back to the rooms with the others.

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:50 am
by BenTheRat
She says "Dinner will be served at 7," before disappearing.

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:53 am
by Medri
Charles nods and walks towards his room to lay down for a bit.

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:57 am
by DrVendetta
Richard walks upstairs to wash up before dinner still thinking about the meaning of the words on the bronze tablet.

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:29 am
by DetectiveSocks
Alyssa makes herself comfortable in the large living room, letting her eyes wander around the room and admiring the decor.

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:04 pm
by BenTheRat
Allysa,make a spot hidden check.

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:11 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott sneezes and shuffles off towards his room to change into some dry clothes.

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie relaxes in his room until it's time to go downstairs for dinner.

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:11 am
by DetectiveSocks
Spot Hidden 75%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4706609/]Success 21%[/url]

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:52 pm
by BenTheRat
Allysa,you see the same pattern of dots on many of these paintings as well. One even has lines drawn between them making a stick figure of sorts, and one gives you the impression its not a constellation.

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:48 am
by DrVendetta
After tidy'ing up Richard comes back down stairs to wait on dinner, when he see's Allysa sitting in the living room he walks into the living room and strikes up a conversation with her after finding a comfortable seat to sit down in "So did you guys find out any other information at the library?"

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:16 am
by Papa Gateau

Aunt Loosa joins Alyssa and Richardin the living room.

Hello dear, Richard

Have we had any further enlightenment on what these stars are?

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:40 am
by DetectiveSocks
Alyssa looks to Aunt Loosa and shakes her head to Richard, "I'm afraid there's nothing that we already know. Couldn't find a match to our constellation. Quite upsetting."

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:24 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott descends the stairs in a notably happier state of mind, having exchanged his sopping wet garments for a fresh, dry set. He catches sight of Loosa, Richard, and Alyssa and heads over to join them.

"I hope dinner's soon." he remarks casually before smiling wryly. "A good swim always leaves me famished."

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:02 pm
by Silver Priest
Norman joins with the others in the living room. He listens quietly, seeming to want to say something but holding back for now.

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:37 am
by DrVendetta
Richard replies to the group in general "Someone explain this constalation to me again I don't think I got the whole story"

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:50 am
by DetectiveSocks
Alyssa pulling our her notebook, "there's a pattern of identical constellations in each of Howard Smith's paintings. We're not sure if they mean anything, it's one of the only leads we have at the moment."

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:07 pm
by DrVendetta
"Where is the pattern at in the pictures?" ask Richard

Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:27 pm
by BenTheRat
ooc,to clarify it is in almost every painting you see, not just the Howard Smith ones.

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:37 am
by DrVendetta
ooc,just for clarification is it in the sky in the paintings? Or is it hidden somewhere in the painting? If hidden where is it hidden at? The paintings are all daytime paintings arent they?

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:21 am
by BenTheRat
As all of you start to check out the paintings, Allysa and Aunt Loosa can point out the points.

Most of the paintings are daytime, but some are night time. The pattern of dots is easiest to see in the night time scenes, and are usually displayed as stars.

As you go through the paintings once you see the pattern of dots, you see them in every painting. But not all of them are in the sky.

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:37 am
by DrVendetta
Richard starts looking to see where else in the paintings the dots are showing up at.

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:46 pm
by BenTheRat
Richard,make a spot hidden

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:16 am
by DrVendetta
Ben,spot hidden chance = 45% [dice]0[/dice] so a failure

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Huh," says Eddie, studying the painting. "I never even noticed that before. Too bad I don't know anything about astronomy. I have no idea what constellation that's supposed to be, if it's even a real one."

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:21 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott follows along as Loosa and Alyssa point out the loose formation of dots in the paintings.
Spoiler:
SPOT HIDDEN - 45%
[dice]0[/dice]
Despite doing his best to discern some sort of pattern or meaning, he finds the points utterly incomprehensible.

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:29 pm
by Medri
Charles walks down the stairs to find the otheres. He understands that they have been cought up with the star pattern and tries to see what he might have missed before.
Ben,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4713563/]1d100=23[/url]

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:38 am
by DrVendetta
Richard continues to stare at the painting baffled that he cannot make out what everyone is trying to point out.

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:58 am
by BenTheRat
Richard,you see the pattern, you just didn't see anything special about it.
Charles,In one odd painting you notice the dots are on a map that men are looking at. The map is showing a coast line as well.

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:52 am
by DrVendetta
Richard says "What makes you think that these dots are a constallation?"

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:02 am
by Medri
Charles points to the dots on the map. "Look, it seems to be some kind of map! Maybe we should try to check the archive for that instead of going to astronomy? It might be stars, it might not be, but either way it might also be easier to understand and find if we look for it as a map instead since it looks like you can see it that way as well."

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:23 pm
by Papa Gateau

Aunt Loosa turns to Richard When I first noticed the pattern, they were depicted as stars and in the subsequent paintings we looked at they were all celestial - it's only recently that we have seen the pattern elsewhere - not just in the sky.

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:07 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott frowns as he stares at the painting unimpressed.

"No offense Loosa, but what leads you to believe this pattern is meaningful in any way?" he asks.

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:25 pm
by Papa Gateau

No offense young man she smiles it seemed more than coincidental that this pattern appeared in all these paintings - sometimes obvious and sometimes less so. And now that we have seen that it is not just a pattern of stars in the sky but depicted or shown differently - if you know what to look for.

Does that not strike you as strange?

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:08 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott offers a curt nod.

"It does seem odd I suppose." he glances over his shoulder furtively. "But then, a lot of things seem odd about this place. I'm just having trouble seeing how this repeating pattern is going to help us locate you-know-who."

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:24 pm
by Papa Gateau

I don't know that it will.

It may offer an insight as to why he is here though?

And if we can understand his motives a little more then perhaps that will help us track him down?

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:52 pm
by Silver Priest
"It's worth doing some research and seeing what turns up," Norman offers, having found nothing in the paintings he had taken a cursory glance at. "But... hmm. Excuse me for a moment. I would like to ask, uh, Ms. Angela a question about the local surroundings." He goes off in search of her.

"Ah, Ms. Angela! The food smells lovely. It has been too long since a lonely bachelor such as myself has had a home cooked meal." he awkwardly adjusts his glasses. "My friends and I were doing some sightseeing, and we heard mention of some cyclops. Are there any statues around of this mythological creature? Anything that might even look like a cyclops in the right light?"

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:31 pm
by BenTheRat
Angela wipes her hand on her apron as she announces that dinner is now ready. 2 large tables have enough chairs for 12 people. And the food on the table is steaming hot and smells delicious.
She tilts her head slightly to one side like she is thinking. "You mean like what Homer wrote about? Not that I'm aware of. We have a lot of Granite statues in various places around town. Lots of sea creatures, mermaids, that sort of thing. But no Cyclops that I'm aware of."
She smiles and prompts you towards the table. "Please come sit and eat. I don't get out of the house much during the summer. Tell me about what you saw and did today."

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:18 am
by DrVendetta
Richard replies the Aunt Loosa's conversation saying "I would have to agree with Loosa it is not a coincedence that this pattern is in ALL of the paintings, and it may not be a constillation, but it could help us figure out why Phil is here which may help lead us to him."

Richard looks closely at the picture and draws the pattern on a blank page in his notepad after which he looks up and ask "Did you happen to mention this pattern to Brian at the Library?"

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"I had suspected it wasn't really a constellation," says Eddie, "which is why I said 'if it's even a real one.' I think you're right about it being a map. I'm wondering if maybe Phil wants us to find all of this stuff out. He could be leading us into a trap, but I don't see that we've got any other choice." He heads down to dinner.

"A few of us went down the Bradley Wharf to see the building for ourselves," Eddie tells Angela when he arrives. "There sure were a lot of people painting it. Then we went to the Memorial Hall to look up its history."

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:54 pm
by BenTheRat
Angela joins you at the table to eat, "Yes, I always find it odd, that people would give up everything in their life, come here to paint for a month or two and then just leave. Very odd behavior."

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:32 pm
by Medri
Charles put down the pattern at a napkin as well and make a note of the coastline, then he head down to eat with the others.

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:51 am
by DrVendetta
Richard over hears Angela's comments as he enters and sits down at the table "Yes I agree it is quite odd, are there other odd, different, strange, or occult type things that happen in this sleepy little town" says Richard as he is sitting down, he looks Angela in the eye when he says the word 'occult' to try to see if the word sparks anything in her, and then quickly starts adding food to his plate.

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:14 am
by BenTheRat
Richard,make a psychology roll.

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:07 am
by DrVendetta
Ben,psych = 5% [dice]0[/dice] so no

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:51 am
by BenTheRat
"Occult?" Angela laughs and has a little snort in her laugh. "You mean like in those dime novels? You don't really believe that? do you?"
Richard,you can't tell if she is just putting up a front, or really doesn't believe in occult stuff.
ooc,the rest of you may make a psych roll if you like to see if Angela is telling a lie or not.

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:36 pm
by Papa Gateau

Aunt Loosa takes her place at the table and quietly serves herself as she observes the conversation. Although putting a brave face to it, it is obvious that she is not used to sitting at a non-segregrated table.
Roll,Psychology(75) [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:55 pm
by BenTheRat
Aunt Loosa,you've met people like this before. The non-believers. It would take a few miracles before they will budge from their belief that there is no such thing as magic and monsters.

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:21 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott takes a seat and observes their hostess closely.

"And the paintings these...migrant artists toil over?" he interjects. "What becomes of them? Do they take them with them when they're finished?"

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:30 pm
by BenTheRat
Angela smiles, "I don't know, I guess some end up in the art store, or they take them. It's not like I help them pack to leave."

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:03 pm
by DetectiveSocks
"When we visited the Art Association, most of the attraction on exhibit were Howard Smith's," as Alyssa lays the napkin on her lap.

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:25 pm
by BenTheRat
Allysa,I'm not sure where you got that, I never said that. If I did, I did not intend to. Howard Smith's made up probably 1 in 15 or 20 paintings.

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Isn't there one of his paintings of the Wharf right here in this house?" asks Eddie, sitting down at the table.

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:04 pm
by BenTheRat
Angela put some food on her plate, "to be honest I don't know who painted any of these. I just pick out ones I like and those I think the people staying here will like."

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, you did a good job of that, Miss," says Eddie. "I certainly like the artwork here."

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:21 am
by DrVendetta
Richard quietly listens to the conversations while eating his dinner.

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:41 pm
by Medri
Charles adds "I think there were a lot of paintings with more special motives in the Art Association, not painted by Howard, but we didn't look to much at them. Lot of nice paintings in this town though."

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:34 pm
by BenTheRat
"I'm sure I don't know what you mean by special motives. What else did you do? And why were you so soaking wet?" She asks.

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:36 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Our friend accidentally fell into the water," says Eddie.

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:41 am
by DrVendetta
"Do you know what time the library and City Hall open tomorrow Angela?" Richard asks

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:10 am
by BenTheRat
"Oh my, I always thought the wharfs were safe, maybe we should do something about them." Angela looks over at Richard, "Most of the businesses and offices open at 9."

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:56 am
by DetectiveSocks
"If you don't mind me saying," Alyssa dabbing the crumbs off her lips with her table cloth. "It must be quite exhausting to be left with all this responsibility being so young. How did you end up with this lovely home?" Alyssa looks over to Angela with genuine interest in her smile.

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:27 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott nods sheepishly and wolfs down another bite of his meal.

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:57 am
by BenTheRat
Sadness crosses Angela's face for a minute. "The house belonged to my parents. When they passed away recently, I decided to keep the Woods house running." Then a smile returned to her face.

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:10 am
by DetectiveSocks
"So the young man helping our luggage this morning is your little brother?" Alyssa eyes brightened, her cutlery held suspended.

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:35 am
by BenTheRat
"Johnny? Oh no, I don't have any siblings, Johnny just works here when he can. His family has run into... problems, so I help him when I can." Angela started to eat.

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie tucks into his dinner while he listens to the conversation.

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:10 am
by Silver Priest
Norman relishes the meal, quite pleased to have it. He refiles his plate more than once.

"Well I am glad you were able to put us up, Ms. Angela. It goes a long way to making our trip here a more pleasant one."

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:11 pm
by BenTheRat
"It's my pleasure," Angela says as she finishes up her dinner. She gets up and starts picking up the empty plates. Another woman comes in from the kitchen and also starts clearing off the empty dishes.

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:20 am
by DrVendetta
Richard hands his empty plate to the lady when she comes to collect it and then turns to Angela "Thank you for the wonderfull meal, may I ask what your parents names were?"

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie finishes his meal and hands the empty plate to the woman. "Yes, thank you," he says. "That was delicious."

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:02 am
by BenTheRat
"My parents?" Angela asks with a puzzled look on her face, "John and Christine, why would you ask that?"

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:54 am
by Medri
Charles gives his dish to Angela as well with a smile of gratitude.

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:59 am
by DrVendetta
"Just curious about the history of this wonderfull house you are running" Richard reply's with a smile on his face and then continues "which also has great food I might add, my compliments to you on the dinner. It was a great ending to a long and fairly difficult and busy day""

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:05 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I walk briskly into the dining room, noting the empty plates, "Sorry I'm late, got kinda sidetracked down at the wharf."

I nod towards Angela, "I suppose I missed dinner? Sorry about that it looks good"

To the others I shrug and take a seat at the end of the table, "Didn't find anything useful. So have I missed anything?"
OOC:   Sorry all, been slightly sidetracked by another game :oops:  

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:18 pm
by BenTheRat
Angela looks up, "I thought we were missing one, and nonsense on missing dinner. There was plenty left, just go right on into the kitchen and help yourself."

She smiles over at Richard, "Well the house is named the Woods House because of the famous lawyer and judge Henri Woods. He lived here about 50 years ago and was the defense lawyer for the famous traveling salesman murder of that time. He lost the case, but still earned him quiet the reputation." She pauses for a second like she was trying to remember something. "I'm actually a decendant of Henri, he was my great-grandfather on my mothers side. The house itself was built somewhere in the mid 1700's so its over 170 years old, but still has all the warmth and charm of home." Angela moves into the living room, where the cook is serving hot tea and apple pie. "That's really about all there is to the history of this house. Not much, but I love it. Please come join me for some pie."

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:48 pm
by Medri
Charles try to recall anything about a traveling murdering salesman in the history he has read about... He is left with a suspicious feeling.

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:35 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard stands up and replies "I would LOVE a piece of pie, so what was your parents last name then if it was not Woods?"

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:42 pm
by BenTheRat
Angela takes a piece of pie herself and settles into one of the couches in the sitting room. "My mothers maiden name was Woods, but she took my fathers name Allen when they married. My name is Angela Allen, though occasionally I'll go by Angela Allen Woods, for the homes namesake."
Charles,you do not recall anything of that, but make an Idea roll for me.

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:56 am
by DrVendetta
Richard moves to the living room and finds a seat to enjoy the pie that is being served at "Well you have done your parents proud Angela this is a wonderfull place you are running"

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:56 am
by BenTheRat
"Oh no, my parents are the ones who really got this home working smoothly. My mom only passed away a few months ago." Angela says.

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:39 am
by DrVendetta
Richard replies "I am sorry to here that, how did she pass if you don't mind me asking?"

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:30 pm
by BenTheRat
"I don't mind. It was a boating accident." Angela responds.

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Miss," says Eddie, taking a slice of pie. "The traveling salesman murder case? I guess it's not as famous in Boston as it is here, because this is the first I've heard of it. What exactly happened?'

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:06 am
by Medri
Charles takes a piece of pie and listen carefully at the others and what Angela has to say about the case.
Ben,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4727133/]1d100=69[/url]

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:21 am
by BenTheRat
Angela's eyes lit up as she dives into the story:

"It was April 11, 1877, The Rockport murder case involving two traveling salesmen. The two men, Albert Joy and Charles H. Gilman, arrived in Rockport on the 9 a.m. train from Beverly. While Gilman called on several houses, selling an attachment to sewing machines, Joy hung around the railroad station. Around noon, the two men were seen passing through the station and out its western end, heading toward a nearby quarry. A half hour later, Joy was seen returning, alone. He walked up Pooles Lane to Main Street, then to Broadway and into town, where he stopped at a restaurant and ordered oyster stew and tea. He then returned to the station and boarded the train that was set to leave at 1:30. As he waited for it to depart, voices suddenly started screaming, “A dead man has been found in the reservoir.” Upon hearing that news, Joy exclaimed, “My God! It is my chum.”

Police quickly arrested Joy, who professed his innocence, saying he left Gilman at the reservoir while he went to get food. With Henri Woods as his defense attorney, Joy was put on trial in Salem on July 9, 1877, for the murder of Gilman. After a four-day trial, the jury returned a verdict a guilty. He was sentenced to be hanged, but four days before the scheduled hanging, the governor issued a reprieve. A few weeks later, the governor commuted his sentence to life in prison."

Angela recomposed herself. "Oh it is an exciting story."
Charles,you realize an event like this might be news to the household but not big enough to make it into the history books or library notices. Maybe if you had done some digging into old newspapers you would have stumbled on it.

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:07 am
by DrVendetta
Richard sets his empty plate down on the table next to the chair he is sitting in and says "Delicious pie Angela, so did Joy pass away while in prison?"

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:48 am
by Medri
Charles thinks about the possibility that this might have made the newspaper and where in town you might get hold of really old papers. He keeps listening to what Angela has to say.

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:11 pm
by Papa Gateau

Aunt Loosa helps herself to some pie and nods approvingly as she samples it.

She sits quietly, keeping herself to herself, listening as the strands of conversation unfold.

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:54 pm
by BenTheRat
Angela thinks for a minute, "I haven't heard he died. He could still be there in the state pen. I know my mom looked him up about 10 years ago and he was still alive then."

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:58 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott pats the taut girth of his full stomach and listens with interest to what their hostess has the say.

"I wonder why the governor would commute his sentence?" he wonders aloud.

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:40 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I walk through into the living room just in time to hear the end of the story. At Scott's comment I make a wry face, "Anything is possible if you have the money or the right connections"

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:15 pm
by BenTheRat
"Guess we will never know that one, the govener back then died several years back. Maybe he believed his story. Albert claimed they went to the quarry. He said he saw something moving in the water, but his friend Charles said he was crazy and decided to go for a swim. So albert went to get something to eat and was supposed to meet Charles at the train." Angela responded.

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"On what evidence was the conviction based?" asks Eddie. "Everything you've said about the case sounds awfully circumstantial. I haven't heard anything so far that would lead a jury to convict Joy beyond a reasonable doubt and condemn him to death." He knows all too well how easy it is for all of his hard work in apprehending a criminal to be undone by a failure to prove the crime in court.

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:28 am
by BenTheRat
"From the research my mother did, not much. His friend was dead, and he was on the train ready to leave him behind. That seemed to be enough for that jury." She answered.

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:11 am
by Silver Priest
"It seems like poor Mr. Joy may have been judged unfairly due to his status as an outsider. " Norman comments, full after a very satisfying meal. "Have there been any other disappearances near the quarry?

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:28 pm
by BenTheRat
"Not necessarily by the quarry, but I have noticed a lot of disappearances or people missing in the paper recently. But I think its mostly those painters that drift in and out. They must just go off to paint something else and people lose track of them." Angela says.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're right, this is an interesting story," says Eddie. "It does sound as though Joy was innocent after all. I'm curious to see your father's notes on the case, and to visit the quarry and see where it happened."

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:00 am
by BenTheRat
Handy,did you mean the lawyer, that was her great-grandfather.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yes, sorry, that is what I meant.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:05 am
by BenTheRat
"Oh you mean my great-grandfather. He was the lawyer. When he passed away all his papers and notes on his cases were handed over to the county clerk. And my mother told me they were all missing when she was investigating it a few years back. A real shame, I'm sure they would have shed some light on the case." Angela responded.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:22 am
by Medri
Charles nods and thinks for a bit. "How strange that that the papers would just disappear like that..."

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:31 pm
by BenTheRat
Angela chuckled as if in on an inside joke, "Oh I don't know, I've heard they lose all sorts of things in this town."

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:51 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I come alert, shrugging off the torpor of a long day, "What do you hear, Miss?"

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:22 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I've noticed that it's impossible to find a map of Rockport," says Eddie. "I wonder what else gets lost here."

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:01 am
by BenTheRat
"Oh my, well I'm sure I wouldn't know." Angela says as she gets up and begins to gather up empty pie plates.
Johnny comes from the back room, "Done with everything Miss Angela." She smiles at the boy and fetches a quarter out of her apron.
"I'll see you tomorrow?" She asks.

"Yes ma'am, I'll be here early." he replies.

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:16 am
by DetectiveSocks
Alyssa remained to herself through the rest of the conversation, jotting down notes and rubbing life back into her eyes, waiting for the caffeine to hit.

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:29 pm
by DrVendetta
"Well I thank you for a wonderful dinner and the interesting conversation Angela but I think I am ready to turn in for the night, it has been a VERY long day for us" saying that Richard stands up and continues " I have an appointment at the library when it opens and then another one at city hall after that what time would you be serving breakfeast?"

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:33 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, thank you, the pie was excellent," says Eddie, wiping his mouth with a napkin.

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:43 am
by BenTheRat
"You are very welcome. I hope you find your beds comfortable, and breakfast will be served at 8." Angela finished picking up any dishes and head into the kitchen. She turns to look over her shoulder, "good night all."

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good night," says Eddie. After Angela leaves, he addresses the others. "I think some of us should visit the quarry tomorrow and look around. Maybe the stories of a creature in the reservoir are true."

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:59 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

"Me too" I look at Richard as he starts to leave, "I'll catch a ride with you tomorrow, if I can?"

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:49 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard turns as he is leaving and says to Warren "Not a problem, I will be down here at 8am for breakfeast and will be leaving a little before 9am" he then says to the others "Norman I could probably use your help tomorrow at the Records Office if you would like to join me it would be greatly appreciated, I will be stopping at the Library first though if anyone else would like to come. Good night all, get a good nights rest I am sure it will be another busy day tomorrow"

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:09 pm
by Silver Priest
Norman nods at Richard's request. "Sure, I will be delighted to help in any, uh, way that I can. And a nice breakfast to start the day off won't cause any harm."

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:51 am
by BenTheRat
OOC:   To speed things up, I'm going to move things along here.  
Each of you say your good nights, head to your rooms and find them comfortable and you fall asleep quickly.

As you sleep each of you has the same dream:

"A strange figure rises out of the sea, he reminds you of the statue that was stolen from the chapel. Tentacles flailing about he launches into the air his wings stretching out and soaring over the sea. He approaches the 2 light houses on the island a mere mile from where you slumber. Arms stretch out from the sides of the towers and their lights shine upon the black mass as it dives down on them, the arms flailing at the creature but failing to make contact.
One of the winged beasts claws reaches out and topples one of the light houses. The other screams as if in agony, his light never leaving the beast. Watching as it glides in a wide arc and dives down again. This time the thin tower caught the beast with its massive arm just as it was crumpled to the ground. Stone and steel and glass screeching and shattering as it toppled to the ground, but never letting go of it prey.
The massive stones fell on the beast as they crashed into the surf.
The next wave washed over the scene and except for the 2 destroyed towers there is nothing to suggest there was a battle here."

You awake sweating and gasping for breath. It is still 3 in the morning. You lay back down and sleep the rest of the night uneventful and without dreams of such a vivid nature.
ooc,everyone make a sanity 0/1 test.

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:31 pm
by Mr. Handy

Eddie awakens in the morning, disturbed by his dreams. He takes a cold shower, gets dressed, and heads down to breakfast.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 58) for the dream [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:43 pm
by Silver Priest
[dice]0[/dice] Failed

Norman awakens in a sweat, gently dabbing at his forehead. He considers not eating such a rich meal before bed again. But deep in his heart he knows that the food had nothing to do with the vision he just experienced.

He spends the rest of the night deep under the covers, a thin layer of protection against whatever is out there.

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:25 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I awake refreshed the memory of the dream nothing to worry about amongst all the other nightmares that disturb my sleep.
Sanity Roll,1d100: 1 [1d100=1] http://orokos.com/roll/235023
OOC:   Invisible Castle gone so now using orokos.com  

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:53 am
by Medri
Ben,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/235188]Sanity Roll[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]5[/b]

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:15 am
by DrVendetta
Richard wakes in the morning and gets up and clean himself up, the whole time playing the strange dream over in his head trying to find some meaning in it.

Once prepared he walks down stairs to find out were breakfeast is being served and to grab a newspaper if available.

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:08 pm
by BenTheRat
As each of you make your way downstairs there are 4 newspapers (all the same) laying on the table and a buffet of eggs, meats, biscuits and gravy are being put out, along with hot tea, milk and some juice.

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:23 am
by DrVendetta
Richard smiles at the spread of food nd makes himself a healthy plate picks up a newspaper and sits down and starts eating and reading the paper.
Ben,[b]Richard[/b] scans the newpaer first for any reports of missing persons, then checks the obituaries for anything unusual. Of course he will check the highlights aswell and any pictures for anything that looks related to MAPS buisness in town.

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie helps himself to some steak and eggs and a cup of tea, then sits down and looks through the newspaper for anything of interest while he eats.

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:04 pm
by jbibblesworth
OOC:   My apologies for my disappearance. Ended up being unexpectedly out of town.  
Spoiler:
SAN ROLL - 48% - [dice]0[/dice] FAIL
Scott lets loose a strangled cry as the nightmarish vision wrenches him from slumber. He sits motionless beyond a shallow gasping and turns his gaze towards the room's sole window. Unable to entertain the thought of further sleep, he swings his legs over the bed's edge and sits with his head cradled in his hands. It's some time before the weeping ends.

In the morning, a still-visibly rattled Scott descends the staircase and steadies himself over a cup of black coffee.

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:58 am
by BenTheRat
OOC:   No problem. Still waiting on Richard, Alyssa and Aunt Loosa to make their sanity rolls.  
Eddie reads through the paper, nothing new of interest. The 5 missing persons are still listed in the classifieds, and other than the art exhibit, nothing really catches your eye.

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:47 am
by DrVendetta
Ben,sorry I thought I had done that in the previous post here is my sanity roll [dice]0[/dice] that was close my sanity is currently at 49 so i believe this is a success. Any specific information on the 5 missing people, like last seen at the quarry, or anything common about them?

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:27 pm
by BenTheRat
As you try and make a connection to the missing, you can't really. The only thing in common was they all had a life change moment and came up to paint in Rockport, but then disappeared. Last known location was in Rockport.

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:38 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   San(73) [dice]0[/dice]  
Aunt Loosa makes her way to breakfast. She is not unused to strange dreams and messages but she struggles to fathom some meaning from her night-time vision.

Good morning everyone she says with a bright smile Did we all sleep well last night? she helps herself to some coffee and eggs whilst continuing I must profess to having had the strangest of dreams - probably just my old bones missing the warmth of New Orleans

She pauses a while as she eats her breakfast Now then, what are everyone's plans? I think I'd like to join those that were planning a visit to the quarry - if there is space for a little old lady in the car?

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:08 pm
by Medri
Charles sits down with some eggs and coffee and reads the newspapers as well and listens to where people intend to go.

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Of course, Aunt Loosa," says Eddie. "I'll be going there too, and I have plenty of room. You can come in my car. We'll just need to get directions before we set out. I didn't sleep all that well. I had an odd dream too, very disturbing."

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:33 pm
by Silver Priest
"I actually had a disturbing dream as well," Norman admits sheepishly. " Some horror emerged from the water near the lighthouses and destroyed them both. How unusual, ha ha." His laugh is shaky, but it is clear Norman wants someone to offer him a comforting explanation for the dream.

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Not as unusual as you'd think," says Eddie. "I had the exact same dream."

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:55 am
by DetectiveSocks
Alyssa had stayed up longer then she had thought last night, recording her investigations and looking over her notes in her room. Something was missing from the bigger picture that Alyssa couldn't see.

Not long after sleep had the best of her, Alyssa shot out of bed in nightmare fright, sweaty and disorientated. Alyssa went back to sleep though still awake, troubled thoughts kept her up as Alyssa tossed around frustrated. Alyssa remained restless as she rolled over towards the window in bed, staring out for any crows in voyeur paranoia. It had not occurred to Alyssa, that she had stopped checking underneath her bed for monsters in her youth after nightmares, because they were inside of us all along. Some co-exist; others fight constantly.

Maybe she shouldn't had coffee in the evening.

In the morning, Alyssa felt restless but determined, her mind burning and running on fumes. "Good morning," Alyssa helps herself to a hearty meal.
Sanity 64%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4733126/]Success 52%[/url]

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:59 pm
by Medri
Charles raises his eyebrows "I had a dream like that to, I think." then he thinks about it for a minute, then continue listening to the others.

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:36 am
by DrVendetta
Richard listens to the shared dream stories and goes over the one he had in his sleep last night while he is listening.
Ben,not sure if I can make and idea roll or an occult roll here for what I know about 'shared dream' phenonmon here is a roll if you need it or will allow it [dice]0[/dice] my occult is 19 my idea is 60 if this helps me with anything on the shared dream knowledge

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:19 pm
by BenTheRat
Dr V,In the occult dreams are either sent to you by some entity, or it is your sub-conscious trying to give you a clue as to a problem you are trying to solve. In the case of shared dreams, it is almost always the former, but it could be a combination of both.

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:07 am
by DrVendetta
Richard sets the newspaper down and looks to everyone and says " 'Seekers Should Look Between the Cyclops That were Blinded for Blood' was what was enscribed on the plaque, I think the two lighthouses from our dream may be our Cyclops's and maybe we should check into any history of the light houses being 'blinded' or darkened for reason that lead to bloodshed, maybe a crashed ship or something like that." Richard looks to Aunt Loosa and smiles at her as he continues "A shared dream amongst people is normally a common message trying to reveal itself to the dreamers is it not?"

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"That makes sense," says Eddie. "The Cyclops must be a reference to the lighthouses. They do kind of have one eye. Maybe there was some huge storm that put them out. Yes, we need to find out about their history, and then look between them. A map would sure be useful there, but there isn't one to be had."

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:37 pm
by Papa Gateau

Aunt Loosa looks over her coffee cup at Richard

Yes dear, shared dreams are normally a message and I agree with your deduction that the lighthouses are cyclops. she pauses a faint frown creasing her brow, she continues quietly, lost in though and speaking to herself I wonder who is sending us this message - perhaps I will have a little chat with Papa Legba later

Her eyes brighten and her focus returns to the room Yes Eddie a map would be most useful, another curiosity that there seem to be none to be had. Perhaps that another line of enquiry to pursue - why are there no maps of this little town by the sea

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"The lighthouses and whatever lies between them are our best lead," says Eddie. "The only clues we've found point there. I think we need to make them our highest priority."

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:01 am
by DrVendetta
Richard looks at his watch then says "Well I will ask my contact at the library if he knows anything on the history of the lighthouses, he might be able to locate a map for us as well"

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 am
by Silver Priest
"Sounds like our uh, best option." offers Norman. "When are we due to leave for the library Richard?"

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:55 am
by BenTheRat
OOC:   You guys can head out whereever you want to just let me know who is going where. FYI, there was some history on the lighthouse already done. It was back in the Rockport thread before you left Boston, in case you forgot.  

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Didn't Miss Patton show us a map of Rockport before we left?" asks Eddie. "That will tell us where the lighthouses are and what's between them."
OOC,I had forgotten that, and I still can't find it. I did, however, find a map of Rockport. However, the picture is too small, and I can't make out the details or read the text on it.

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:22 am
by jbibblesworth
Scott looks up from his stupor, eyes still carrying the fog from a poor night's sleep.

"Yes, she did give us a map. Who did she give it to?"

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:51 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard reaches into his sachel and opens up the map on the table for everyone to see.

Link to map below:
http://imageshack.com/i/eyI9ZP4Cj
Ben,I am figuring the light houses are on Straights Mouth & Milk island's? If not could you let us know where the light houses are located since we have seen them?

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:44 pm
by BenTheRat
As you look at the map you can tell both light houses are on Thatcher Island, one on each end.

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:10 am
by DrVendetta
Richard says to the others while looking at the map "Looks like we are looking for information on Thatcher Island, well I am off to the library and the hall of records anyone care to join me? Norman are you coming your skills should be especially usful there?"

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:13 am
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Just let me know where everyone is going and I'll set up chapter 6 forums.  

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I'd like to head out to Thatcher Island," says Eddie. "We'll need to find out where we can rent a boat."

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:50 am
by DetectiveSocks
"I'll accompany with you Eddie[/i]," Alyssa raises her hand, as she finishes her breakfast and pushes her chair in.

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:01 pm
by Medri
Charles thinks for a second "I think I can do best at the library."

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:43 pm
by Papa Gateau

Aunt Loosa looks at Eddie Light hoses first and the quarry later then?

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:13 am
by Silver Priest
"Library for me as well. If I can help uncover anything useful, I'd like to help." Norman responds.

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, Aunt Loosa, I think the quarry can wait," says Eddie. He finishes his meal as well and rises. "Thank you, Miss Ryan. I'd be glad for your company. Are you coming as well, Aunt Loosa?"

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:30 am
by DrVendetta
Richard says "So what time do we want to meet back here? Say dinner time again? 5pm?"

After people agree on a time Richard thanks Ms Ryan for the breakfeast and tells her that they do not plan on returning for lunch but will be back at 5pm (or whatever time is agreed on by the group) for dinner. Richard will then go to the car to start off to the Library with all that are going with him.

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:55 am
by Papa Gateau

Yes Eddie, I'll join you at the lighthouses.

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"That sounds good to me," says Eddie. "Let's ask where we can hire a boat. If it's too far to walk, we can take my car and Miss Ryan's motorcycle. Is anyone else coming to the island?"

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:14 am
by BenTheRat
OOC:   I was waiting for Warren and Scott to post. If I missed yours, sorry, let me know. Else we will assume they are feeling under the weather for now and will stay at the Woods house.  
Warren and Scott both look like death warmed over after their dream last night. They opt to head back up to their rooms for some much needed rest while you investigate and figure they will feel better soon.

Angela gets extra blankets for Warren and Scott and shoos them up bed like children promising soup later. "So sorry your friends are not feeling well. You can rent boats down at the wharf. The bay is just beautiful this time of year." she adds.

OOC: Eddie, Aunt Loosa and Alyssa go to this thread here.

Richard, Norman and Charles go to this thread here.