Page 1 of 1

IC: Ch 5: The mystery revealed

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:56 pm
by BenTheRat
Everyone returned to the Wharf about the same time and meets up with those standing by the painters, talking to some of them.

Re: IC: Ch 5: The mystery revealed

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:02 pm
by Medri
Charles approaches Alyssa and Aunt Loosa "That seems to be Howard, the painter. Did you find out anything at the library?" approaching the entire group Charles lower his voice even more "maybe we should ask him something? What do you think?"

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:46 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard turns and looks at the gentleman that Charles is reffering to to get a good look at him and then turns his attention to the ladies response about the visit to the library.

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:02 pm
by Silver Priest
Norman meets with the rest of the group, paper still in hand.

"My observation of the wharf discovered little, but I did notice that quite a few people have gone missing in Rockport lately. Perhaps it would uh, be connected to our mutual friend." He shows the paper to any who wish to see it before turning to Eddie. "And this seems to give us a good excuse to enter a building if we need to. We can say we heard that there were sightings of one of the missing persons in that area of town."

"As for this Howard, I don't see how it could hurt to speak to him."

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:04 am
by DrVendetta
Richard ask Norman "How many people have gone missing over what period of time?"

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"We're going to need more to go on than that," says Eddie to Norman. "Let me see what that paper says. Speaking to the painter is a good idea. We should also examine the metal thing now that the tide's gone out."

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:57 am
by BenTheRat
Looking through the personal ads you count 7 people missing, the oldest being from April of this year. The latest being from July.

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:31 am
by DetectiveSocks
"Nothing that we already knew. Couldn't find a match to those constellations," Alyssa standing next to Charles. "You got any good news Charles?"

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:46 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott listens to the discussion languidly, thumbs hooked through the belt loops of his trousers. He nods at Eddie's recommendation.

"I'm with you Eddie. Lets check out that hatch."

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:28 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I turn to Eddie, "The missing seven, does it mention their ages?"

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:07 pm
by BenTheRat
Looking at the paper, yes ages are mentioned. It is a wide mix, the youngest being 20, the oldest 64.

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:33 pm
by Medri
Charles turn to Alyssa. "Nothing more than witch one of the painters is Howard." he nods in the painters direction again. "I think we should go speak with him, I was just on my way over there, but maybe someone else has questions as well?" Charles waits to see if someone has anything to add to it and if Alyssa or Aunt Loosa have anything they thought of, ready to go back to the painter.

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"We found out the history of the wharf," adds Eddie. "It was built in 1842 by John and Jim Bradley, where they built their fishing and shipping business and their fishing shack. In the 1870s the wharf was extended, and they sold property on it. John's son, John Bradley, Jr., inherited the wharf in 1884. His son Jim got it in 1912, and he sold it along with the business and the shack to Michael Dryver in 1915. Dryver was born in 1868, baptized in 1879, and the records showed he bought the wharf and business in 1915. After that he's been buying and selling boats."

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:12 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I nod to Scott, "Okay lets go and see what it is".
With my right I gently caress the friendly shape of the .45 in my jacket pocket.
Warren thinking:   And this time someone else can go first and get stuck by the flying knife  
I smile to myself as I begin the walk back to the pier.

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:26 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott nods compliantly feeling an inward relief that the steadfast Warren has chosen to accompany him. The pair make their way back towards the barn and soon are standing at the building's far edge, leering down over the edge of the dock where the metal clanging had originated from earlier.

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:27 pm
by BenTheRat
As everyone walks back to the pier you can see the water is down several feet completely uncovering a large bronze plate that has been bolted to the side of the granite blocks. One corner is loose which was causing the clanging noise when the water smashed into it.

There appears to be some engraving on it, but from this angle you cannot read what it says.

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:31 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott attempts to assess the rocks beneath the pier's base and gauge whether or not it would be feasible to climb down.

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:16 pm
by BenTheRat
The rocks look climbable but slick with seaweed and decades of the waves smoothing the rocks.
ooc,to climb down without slipping and falling you need to make a climb roll. If you fail you will slip and fall into the ocean below.

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:39 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott frowns doggedly and looks to Warren.

"I think I can climb down the rocks." he confides. A moment later, he's hoisting himself down the side of the pier, foot sweeping the exposed rock face trying to find purchase.
Spoiler:
Scott - Climb 60%
[dice]0[/dice]
FAIL
The ball of his foot finds what he believes is solid rock, but turns out to be a clump of seaweed. An instant later finds him tumbling towards the ocean below.

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:12 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard looks around to see if the is a row boat or some other small boat that would allow them to approach the plate from the ocean, and help get Scott out of the water.

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:02 am
by BenTheRat
Yes, you see a small row boat on the other side of the pier. There is a ladder down to the water as shown in the picture.

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:00 am
by BenTheRat
To speed things up a bit.

It is easy enough to bring the small boat around the wharf and to where Scott is in the water and help him climb into the boat. The water was cool at first, but not cold.

Looking at the bronze plate you see it says:

'Seekers Should Look Between the Cycl...'

There appears to be more, but has been worn down by years of waves.
ooc,make a spot hidden check to read the rest.

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:10 am
by DrVendetta
After helping Scott into the boat Richard reads the words out loud so those still on the warf can he what he is saying
Spot Hidden,[dice]0[/dice] so a success (finaly)

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:28 am
by BenTheRat
The whole message reads as follows:

'Seekers Should Look Between the Cyclops That were Blinded for Blood'

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:50 am
by DrVendetta
After reading the message out load for all to hear Richard says to Scott (and anyone else in the boat) "Phil is way ahead of us, thats why he used the Cyclops in the illusion, he knew we would find this."

Richard then checks to see if there appears to be anything behind the Bronze Portal.

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:18 am
by BenTheRat
The plate is secured fairly well except in the one corner where it is loose. You can pull it out 1/2" or so but nothing appears to be behind it.

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:29 am
by Silver Priest
"What do you suppose that means?" asks Norman. "Did anyone see statues of cyclops around town? Maybe it's referring to a local monument of some sort."

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:14 am
by DrVendetta
Richard sits down and starts rowing the boat back so they can all gather together again.

As he is rowing he says "Phil had to have seen this why else would he have used an illusion of the Cyclops on us? I do think it would be a good idea to research any local 'Cyclopes' statues or locations though"

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"I haven't seen anything here like that yet," says Eddie, "but we've only just got here. I think we'll know it when we see it. You're right, this can't be a coincidence."

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:56 am
by Papa Gateau

Aunt Loosa sighs as she watches Scott's rapid descent to the water below, saying to no one in particular

Menfolk, always in such a rush! He should have tied himself off

She watches as they row out to the plate, examine it and begin rowing back, against the retreating tide.

Well I do hope it was worth the effort and that the rash young man hasn't caught a chill she thinks to her self.

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:50 pm
by BenTheRat
You make it back to the south side of the barn, and ascend the ladder. Scott is soaked through but no worse for wear.

It is now about 6 PM, You see a man come out of the Bradley Bro's Fishing and Shipping shop, lock the door then begin walking your way.

"Excuse me, may I help you?" he asks.

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good evening," says Eddie. "Are you Mr. Dryver by any chance?"

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:29 am
by BenTheRat
The man stands about 5'8" tall and appears to be about 40-50. He has brown hair and a mustache that he is twirling. You notice a steel bracelet on his wrist. "Yea I'm Dryer, and I've talked to you painters before. You can paint my damn house but you have to stay back on the Bearskin Neck." With that he walks to his house and is looking through his keys in front of his door.

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:22 pm
by DetectiveSocks
"Seems like a pocket full of sunshine," Alyssa nods besides Charles. Alyssa checks her pocket watch, "hard to believe it's evening already. Time to return to Woods' House briefly or shall we continue vigilance?"

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:13 pm
by Medri
Charles thinks for a bit and turn to Alyssa and nods. "Maybe we should go back to eat and gather our thoughts to decide what to do next, if someone doesn't feel like keeping it going here first offcourse."

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I agree, let's head back to the Woods House for dinner," says Eddie. "If any of you want, you can stay behind and stake the place out, but it's likely to be boring. Stakeouts usually are, and the ones that aren't, you wish they were."

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:59 am
by BenTheRat
OOC: For those wanting to continue here on the wharf keep posting on this thread.

Those wanting to head to the woods, go to this thread

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:52 am
by DrVendetta
Richard checks his watch
OOC:   What time of day/evening is it?  

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:58 am
by BenTheRat
OOC:   In case you missed it earlier, its 6 PM.  

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:06 am
by DrVendetta
Richard says to the others "Well Scott you clearly need a change of clothes and I think it might do us all some good to sit down and have a decent meal and get some rest, I am heading back to the Woods House, I have had enough excitement for one day"

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:23 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott sniffles miserably, clutching his sopping wet arms.

"Yeah." he grumbles, already starting towards the car. "Lets head back."

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:26 am
by DrVendetta
Richard joins Scott in walking towards the car.

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie starts up his car and waits for his passengers to board before driving back to the Woods House.

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:21 am
by Silver Priest
Norman follows the others back to the car.

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:22 pm
by BenTheRat
So you all pile in the 2 cars and motorcycle and it is an uneventful 5 minute drive back to the Wood's House.

Please go to this thread

OOC: from what I could tell everyone was heading back. If there is someone staying behind, just keep posting on this thread.