Page 1 of 1

IC: Ch 4g. Off to find the Records, Eddie, Scott and Richard

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:02 pm
by BenTheRat
The 3 of you get into one of the cars and Leave the Square.

You can head down Pleasent Street towards the Woods house, where you are staying. Or.
You can head down Main street.

Re: IC: Ch 4g. Off to find the Records, Eddie, Scott and Ric

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:48 am
by jbibblesworth
As the automobile slowly winds it way out of the wharf, Scott watches the procession of buildings and faces drift by his window.

"Say Eddie," he chirps up, glancing at Eddie's figure behind the car's wheel, "why don't you take a left up here on Main Street? I thought I saw a place called Memorial Hall when we passed by earlier. If that's not where they keep the records around here, it's a safe bet someone in there knows where they do."

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:22 am
by DrVendetta
Richard ask "So whats this buisness with the stars that they were talking about? Do either of you know?"

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, that makes sense, Scott," says Eddie, turning left onto Main Street and looking for Memorial Hall. "I don't know what they're talking about regarding the stars. I only know what we were told about the one that fell here."

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:23 am
by BenTheRat
You pull in front of the Memorial Hall. You can see it here.

As you walk into the hall you see a rather thin man. His hair is still blonde but you can see a lot of gray in the straight hair. He is sitting in a rather comfortable looking arm chair. The hall is adorned with paintings of men in uniforms. There is a door on the back wall. The man was reading a book. As you walk in, he holds up a finger and continues to read his book for a second longer, and then carefully marks the page, and sets it down on a table next to him. His hand is visibly shaking. He then looks over to you, "Good afternoon gentlemen, how can I be of service to you."

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:42 am
by jbibblesworth
"Good afternoon." Scott says, feigning admiration for the surrounding portraits. "We from out of town and could use a bit of help. You see, we're looking for where the town keeps it's public records. Could you possibly point us in the right direction?"

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:19 am
by BenTheRat
"That would be the town-hall on Broadway. You boys look lost." he says.

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:29 am
by DrVendetta
Richard is looking around the room taking in all of the paintings trying to keep his face away from the man's direct view and say's "Well we are from out of town, this is our first trip here. We are doing some history checking on the Red Barn out on the dock out there, you know that it is one of the most commonly painted buildings in all of America? We are trying to dig up some history on the building and are trying to find the records of the building and all of its owners"

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:05 pm
by BenTheRat
"Not much to look up, it may not even be in the records. Been around almost 100 years I guess. Built by old man Bradley along with the Wharf in the 1800's. Dryver owns it now. It came with the business I guess," the gentleman answers. "It was originally just built as a fishing shack, which is why it might not show up in the town records." The gentleman pulls out a cigarette and lights it up.

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:16 pm
by jbibblesworth
"And just what business does Dryver own?" Scott inquires with interest. "That is, if you don't mind me asking."

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:02 pm
by BenTheRat
"He bought out the Bradley Brothers shipping, if you went to see the barn, you probably walked right by it. He bought out the Bradley boy about 5 or 6 years back, but I heard he won it in a card game also." he smiles.

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:59 pm
by jbibblesworth
"Interesting." Scott says offhandedly, rubbing this chin. "Do you know much about this Dryver? Is he a local?"

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:01 pm
by BenTheRat
"Oh yea, Michael grew up around these parts," he says.
ooc,you can make a psychology test if you like.

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:11 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott's eyes narrow momentarily as he attempts to discern the man's motives for being so forthcoming.
Spoiler:
PSYCHOLOGY - 25% - 1d100 → [50] = (50) FAIL
However, he's unable to read anything in the face before him and quickly returns to an easy smile.

"Where are my manners?" he quips, including a gesture of faux-exasperation before offering a handshake to the man. "Scott. I don't believe I caught your name? So Dryver must be a pretty successful fellow to be acquiring businesses..."

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:05 pm
by BenTheRat
"No problem. Colonel Hall at your service sir." he stretches out his hand but doesn't stand up. His handshake is very firm and his hand rough.
"And that's why I think he won the business through a card game, or someone loaned him the money. His family never had any."
ooc,make a spot hidden and history check.

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:11 pm
by jbibblesworth
"A pleasure to meet you Colonel" Scott says, rubbing some of the feeling back into his hand. "Real nice community you have here. Real scenic town. Say, you wouldn't know where I could get hold of a map, would you? I was thinking about heading up to Pigeon Cove a bit later. Heard there's some intriguing history that had to do with that spot."
Spoiler:
SPOT HIDDEN - 45% - 1d100 → [98] = (98) FAIL

HISTORY - 20% - 1d100 → [5] = (5) SUCCESS

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:08 pm
by BenTheRat
Scott,you recognize the name, if it is the same Colonel Hall. You know a Colonel Hall who was a young Captain during the Spanish-American war and was the hero in the invasion in Cuba. And was a Lt.Colonel during the 100 days offensive that helped win WW-1. He was instrumental in changing the tactics used by the US forces of frontal charges that got so many young men killed in France. The man in front of you is a living war hero.
"Not sure on the maps," Colonel Hall said. "Something about a printing error, not sure. Anyway, to get to Pigeon Cove just go up Main, onto Beach street, and that turns into Granite Rd. Can't miss it. Why would you want to go up that ways, if you don't mind me asking?"

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:30 pm
by jbibblesworth
A dim gleam of recognition starts around Scott's eyes before slowly metastasising across his face. The sense memory came flooding back to him. The stench of the trenches that seemed to linger in his nostrils for years after the war's end. The terror that had claimed so many nights of sleep, and to some extent, still did. Scott was acutely aware that this man's efforts had if not saved his life, likely at least saved some of his comrades from a grisly end.

"We...uh..." the words collided and halted in his throat momentarily, before Scott continues on. "...we're actually in town looking for an old friend. The fellow had a thing for the occult and apparently there's that house up on Pigeon Cove that's mixed up with witchcraft and some such bunk. Seemed as good a place to start as any."

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:03 am
by BenTheRat
The Colonel abruptly changes his outward demeanor. "I don't think I can help you, good day." He picks up his book and opens it.

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:45 am
by DrVendetta
Richard turns and looks at the man as his attitude towards the group changes taking the old man in.

He then ask "So do you know Dr Tupper? Any idea where we could find him?"

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:46 am
by BenTheRat
He ignores your question and continues to read his book. The only acknowledgement he gives is to clear his throat.

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:19 am
by jbibblesworth
Scott gives Colonel Hall a curt nod and turns away, drawing his companions in close.

"That was certainly an odd reaction." he whispers. "Town records might still be worth checking out. But I'm thinking the others' hunch about Pigeon Cove might be a bit closer to home than I might've thought."

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie shrugs. "This is the first I've even heard of it," he says. "In any case, we're clearly not welcome here. We know who owns the place now, so it should be a simple matter to find him. Of course, the records might reveal how he came by the place and who owned it before him."

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:08 am
by DrVendetta
Richard replies "I would preffer to check out the town records first as well, I would like to know more before going there."

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:22 pm
by jbibblesworth
Seemingly all in agreement, the trio climbs into their automobile once more and heads off in direction of town hall. As Broadway[/b] swings into view, their destination is easily enough discernible. Parking in front of the building, Scott steps out of the car and heads into the front door.

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:16 pm
by BenTheRat
It is easy enough to find the impressive town hall. You followed Main street back to the hardware store and made a left onto Broadway. You went back down Broadway, it was almost like turning around as you were heading back to the ocean. Everything on Broadway is residential homes except for the Post Office that you see on the right, and then the town hall on the left.

As you walk into the impressive building you see a man in his late 30's or early 40's, brown hair that is heavily grayed, sitting behind a counter at the back of the room. There are several benches in this room. There are 4 doors leading out of this room besides the one you came in. One on each side and 2 at the back. One of the doors at the back of the room, has a sign that says Court Room above it. He looks up when you walk in, but then lowers his head and continues what he was doing.

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:23 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott approaches the gentlemen at the desk and clears his throat.

"Good afternoon sir." he says through a well practiced smile. "We were interested in looking through any records you may have relating to the old barn down by the wharf."
OOC:   I typically use imgur.com  

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:43 pm
by BenTheRat
The gentleman looks up as you approached the desk. After your request he grunts, not looking real happy about your interference.

He reaches into a desk drawer and pulls out a form.

REQUEST FOR CITY RECORDS

NAME:
DATE:

REASON FOR REQUEST:

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, that looks like a simple enough form," says Eddie to Scott. "The reason is historical research, of course."
OOC,You don't even need to host the picture. You can right-click the picture on the web page and select Properites, then copy and paste the URL into a set of img tags. I've done that for The Shadow Over Dunwich with various pictures of the town, and with the character portrait above.

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:46 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott nods at Eddie's prompting and jots down his particulars on the small notecard on the counter. Satisfied, he slides it to the churlish figure on the other side without a word.

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:07 pm
by BenTheRat
The man takes the paper from you, looks at you, and grunts something unintelligible. Then points over to the door to his left.

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:13 pm
by jbibblesworth
Ignoring the clerk's surly behavior, Scott proceeds to the door on the left, opening it and stepping within.

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:20 pm
by BenTheRat
As you go to turn, he makes another comment you can't make out and his hand makes some gesture.

When you walk into the room, there is file cabnets in this very large room. Lots and lots of file cabnets.

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:46 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott begins the arduous process of attempting to determine how the files are categorized.
Spoiler:
LIBRARY USE - 25% - 1d100 → [39] = (39) FAIL
After several minutes of fruitless study he turns to his companions.

"I can't make heads or tails of these files. Can either of you?" his eyes dart maliciously back towards the clerk. "Maybe I should ruin that nitwit's day."

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:06 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard replies "Hang on let me look it over because I will have another property for us to check out while we are here"
Ben,Library chance = 65% [dice]0[/dice]
Richard chuckles to himself after looking over the filing system "Nope your right this filing system makes no sense we will have to go back out and ask him how to find things in here"

When the group goes out Richard will fill out a form for the Tupper house and also any birth/arrest/court/death records for Dr Tupper, Deandre Karlin, & Elizabeth Procter.

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:04 pm
by BenTheRat
As you return to the desk, and you ask for another form, he shrugs his shoulders and hands you one.

After you fill it out, (with the info you listed above), he takes the form and mumbles something uninteligible and points at the room again.

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:13 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott, watching from several steps behind Richard, now pushes forward and leans over the counter, hovering inches from the clerk's face.

"Speak. Up." he demands, enunciating both syllables with simmering frustration.

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:59 pm
by BenTheRat
The man stands up and looks at you in the eye. He says something that again seems to make no sense, he is audibly mumbling. It sounds like English but you can't make it out. He then starts making several motions with his fingers and hands.
ooc,make an idea check.

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:10 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott frowns at the seemingly nonsensical gestures.
Spoiler:
IDEA CHECK - 75% - 1d100 → [14] = (14) SUCCESS
"Please tell me you're not deaf." he mutters miserably.

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:18 pm
by BenTheRat
Scott,ding, ding. Despite not knowing the language you can tell he is obviously using sign language.

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:06 am
by BenTheRat
Eddie,Bradley Wharf was originally constructed in 1842 by John and Jim Bradley. Built on the Wharf was their business, Bradley Brothers Fishing and Shipping and their fishing shack. Later in the 1870's the wharf was extended, and they sold property on it. The Wharf, business and shack were passed down from the brothers to John's son, John Jr. in 1884. He passed it down to his son, Jim Bradley in 1912. Jim sold the wharf, business and fishing shack to Michael Dryver in 1915.
You notice your watch, it has been about 1 hour since you left the wharf.

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie shares what he learned about Bradley Wharf with Scott and Richard. "We have about another hour before we have to head back," he says. "That should be enough time to do a little more research."
OOC,I guess you two can just read the spoiler button contents.

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:39 am
by BenTheRat
ooc,I'm being a bit lenient on time, both the other groups are not posting hardly at all. I can see a time difference happening real quick here.

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:33 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott listens as Eddie relates the history of the wharf and the circumstances regarding Dryvers acquisition of it.

"I wonder if there's anything else in these records regarding this Dryver character." he muses, returning to the cabinets.
Spoiler:
LIBRARY - 25% - 1d100 → [34] = (34) FAIL
Try as he might, Scott finds the files completely infathomable.

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:14 am
by DrVendetta
Richard listens to Eddie recite the history of the wharf and then shows him the form he has filled out for the other information he is looking for and ask "So how did you find the file from this? I need to look at these files as well."
Ben,not sure if I am allowed to or need to make another library roll or if Eddie has to make one since I failed the first time I looked for the other file. Here is a library roll if I need to make another one for the current files I am looking for [dice]0[/dice] I had a 65% chance so this is another failure

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie tries to look for information on Dryver, but he comes up empty.

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:54 am
by DrVendetta
Richard says "Hang on a second let me see if I can get some help from our friend out front"

Richard walks back to the gentleman in the front and waits until he looks up at him and then writes down a message to the gentleman on his pad of paper and hands the gentleman the message "My apologies but we cannot figure out the filling system could you be so kind to show us how to find the files in the back, you can point to the info on the front of these forms and then show us where to locate that in the rows of files, once we understand how to find one of them I am sure we can locate the rest, your assistance would be greatly appreciated" As the gentleman is reading the message and looks up Richard points out some of the file and location information on the forms with a questioning look on his face.

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:34 am
by BenTheRat
Richard,make a persuade roll, +10%

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:46 pm
by DrVendetta
Ben,75% + 10% = 85% chance [dice]0[/dice] so a success

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:10 pm
by BenTheRat
He smiles and gets up walking into the room. He walks into the room and pulled out a folder on Mr. Dryer. Inside was a Birth Certificate dated from 1868. Then a babtism certificate from 1879. Then a Purchase certificate in 1915 of the Bradley wharf and business. Since that point was a ledger that showed a series of purchases and sales of boats.

It has been now been 2 hours since you left the barge.
ooc,you can do some role-playing here, but if you do any more research you will miss low tide at the wharf. But you have a bit of time before the tides starts raising again.

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:38 am
by DrVendetta
Richard jots down in his pad "Thankyou" and shows it to the gentleman and smiles to show his appreciation, then show him the names on the other forms (Dr Tupper, The Tupper House, Deandre Karlin, & Elizabeth Procter and any list of her decendants) and write down "how do I find these in here?" and show it to the gentleman with a questioning look on my face.

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'd better head back to the wharf now," says Eddie. "The tide should be out."

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:23 am
by DrVendetta
Richard replies to Eddie "Let me see if I can at least figure out how to look this stuff up if we have to come back"

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:02 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott glances at the clerk and then addresses Eddie and Richard.

"Lets just make it quick then." he advises. "We don't want to miss our chance to get into the barn. They may wind up needing our help."

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:56 pm
by BenTheRat
The clerk rolls his eyes at Richard, pointing to his eyes and this his mouth.
After looking at your list of names, he shakes his head, pulling out his pocket watch. He frowns and makes some girations with his hands.
ooc,if you want to try an other language skill, sign language, check at 1% go for it.
He then begins to point at the different rows, and pointing at the labels on the walls and on the cabinets. You can tell this is going to take a while.

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:46 am
by DrVendetta
Richard makes a mental note of the information that the gentleman pointed to on the forms and the labels that he pointed to then smiles to the man and writes down "Thank you for your time. We will try again tomorrow when we have more time, have a wonderfull evening" and shows it to the man then nods his head to him.

As the man walks back out Richard says "you are right we don't have time right now, we can drag Norman back down here tomorrow to see if he can help us, I still have no idea why he decided to stay down on the wharf instead of wanting to come here, as a librarian he is a very strange man."

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie has no idea what the clerk's gestures mean. "Yeah, we'd better go now," he says. "This place will still be here later."

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:33 am
by DrVendetta
Richard starts to walk out with Eddie placing the forms in his notepad

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:32 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott nods in agreement and sets off at a brisk clip towards the building's exit. Moments later finds he nestled in the backseat of the automobile, trundling down Rockport's narrows roads on their collective way back towards the wharf.

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:53 pm
by BenTheRat
As you leave you hear the clerk make some unintelligible remark and head back to his desk.

As you ride back to the wharf you pull up just as the ladies arrive in their motorcycle.

Go to this thread here.