Page 1 of 1

IC: Ch 4f: The Gangs all Here

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:38 pm
by BenTheRat
All of you are now standing on the wharf in front of the red building. You are on the West side.

There are 2 large barn type doors in front of you and 1 smaller normal sized door built into one of the barn doors. You can see most of the painters from where you are standing.

Along the right side of the building is the south side. (it is the main side shown in the picture) It has 2 windows and 1 door.

Along the left side of the building is the North side, the painters cannot see you if you are on that side. There are 2 windows and no doors.
ooc,all of you may make a listen check if you want to.

Re: IC: Ch 4f: The Gangs all Here

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:47 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott exchanges brief pleasantries with the new arrivals before falling momentarily silent to see if he can't detect any unusual sounds eminating from the building.
Spoiler:
LISTEN - 1d100 → [69] = (69) FAIL
He's unable to hear anything however.

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:28 pm
by Silver Priest
"M--My hammer is for personal protection." Norman states simply, as if a hammer could possibly fend off a Cyclops or who knows what else. Still, it's helping him keep his anxiety in check.

He gives a brief nod to the new arrivals but says nothing, once again nervously fiddling with his glasses. He stops mid motion when he hears something.
Listen,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4673180/]Listen (25%) (1d100=14)[/url]

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:43 pm
by BenTheRat
Norman,you can hear the clanging noise. It seems to clang when the wave rolls in. It sounds like it is coming from the north side of the building.

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:20 pm
by Silver Priest
"I hear it!" Norman excitingly exclaims. "Whenever the wave rolls in, an odd clanging comes from the north side of the building."

"It could be anything. But something odd is going on."

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:20 am
by Medri
Charles nods to the others and listen for the noice.
Ben,Listen: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4673660/]1d100=23[/url]

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:36 am
by BenTheRat
Charles,you can hear the clanging noise. It seems to clang when the wave rolls in. It sounds like it is coming from the north side of the building.

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's what I heard before," says Eddie, "but I can't hear it now.'

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:29 pm
by BenTheRat
ooc,if you heard it before you can hear it now. No need to roll. Sorry for the confusion.

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:03 pm
by DetectiveSocks
"Perhaps it's just out of politeness for the painters today, if evidence should change however," however the disturbance escapes Alyssa's attention. "Well, it's always a pleasant surprise to see you all here, how did you all manage to arrive coincidentally?"
Listen 45%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4674510/]Failure 51%[/url]

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:18 am
by DrVendetta
Richard walks to the North side of the barn and watching the waves rolling in to time them, with there timing down he clears his mind, closes his eyes and listens for the sound the other have described.
Listen roll,[dice]0[/dice] chance was 58% so this is a success
As he hears the sound he tries to focus on weaather out not it is coming from inside the barn or from underneath the barn.

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I was heading here with Scott and Norman already," says Eddie. "We've been looking around this whole time. Everyone did know we would be here - except for Warren, who left early."

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:01 am
by DetectiveSocks
"Well, I suppose I should know better—better then this," as Alyssa's cheeks flushes with each word given their full measure. "We found the name of our mysterious painter. Howard Smith. His last known location was here in Bearskin"

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:58 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

For a moment I hear the sound of something mettalic from somewhere beneath the structure. I can tell from Richard's expression of concentration that he has heard it too. As he moves toward the North side, I follow slowly.
"So what do you think?"
Listen,68% 1d100 → [20] = (20) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4675199/

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:43 pm
by BenTheRat
Warren and Richard,the sound seems to come from directly below your feet. Make a spot hidden

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:51 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:
Spot Hidden,65% 1d100 → [6] = (6) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4675345/

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:15 pm
by BenTheRat
Warren,It is tough to see as it is below the waterline, but there is what looks like a large thick metal plate bolted to the stones of the wharf. One corner appears to be loose and as the waves crash in, the metal plate is pushed against the rock making the noise. You can just make out the top of it. Make an idea roll.

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:05 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott notes the look of concentration on Warren's face.

"What is it Warren" Scott inquires.

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:58 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I turn to Scott, "Not sure yet"
Idea Roll,75% 1d100 → [23] = (23) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4675678/

Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:02 am
by BenTheRat
Warren,each time the waves roll in, the water gets lower, you think at low tide its possible a large portion of the plate will be visible.

Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:24 am
by DrVendetta
Richard does not pay any attention to the questions he heres, he continues to focus on the sound and where it is coming from.
Ben,Spot hidden roll = [dice]0[/dice] I believe this is a failure as my spot hidden chance is 49%

Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well done, Miss Ryan," says Eddie. "That's a useful discovery. We need to find out what we can about Howard Smith. Another reason to look through the local records."

Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:14 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I point to the metal plate, "You see that? It's where the noise is coming from. I would guess that at low tide a sizeable part of that metal plate will be visible"

Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, good thinking," says Eddie. "We'll have to come back at low tide and see for ourselves. Any idea when that is? Maybe the local paper will list the tides."

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:21 pm
by BenTheRat
The tides seem to be going out now. You can figure low tide will be in about 2 hours.

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:12 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard looks down at the plate that Warren is pointing to and says as he looks down at his watch "Well looks like we still have a couple of hours to kill before we will get down there safely, what do you say we go knock on the door now?"

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:20 am
by Medri
Charles takes in what the others say and add: "We found somethings about stars aswell that we should look up later. But for now maybe knocking on the door would be a good idea since we're all here."

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"We knocked on one door earlier and nobody answered," says Eddie, "but yeah, we can try a different one."

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:49 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

"I think it best if someone other than Richard knocks on the door, his scars may put the frighteners on anyone who doesn't know him".
I look around at the assemblage "One of the ladies might be best, less threatening"

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:53 pm
by jbibblesworth
Devoid of any better ideas, Scott nods compliantly. He still wonders why the others seem so intent on gaining entry to this barn when they've other leads to chase, but for now is content to let them follow their intuitions to their natural courses.

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:54 am
by DrVendetta
Richard nods his head in agreement with Warren about Richard not being the one to knock on the door.

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:41 am
by Silver Priest
"I already knocked on the door twice, so I'm unlikely to be of much assistance." Norman responds, a bit dubious that anything short of force will get them into the building.

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:12 pm
by Medri
Charles look from the water to the barn and nods to the idea just as the others.

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:56 am
by DrVendetta
Richard says "So is someone going to go knock?"
OOC:   did we loose the ladies in our group?  

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:18 am
by DetectiveSocks
"Well I can't neglect to be a good neighbour, it'd be my pleasure" Alyssa's voice straining as she sighs in bitter volunteer. Alyssa dug into her purse without looking, and grabbed whatever a business card felt like. Boston Globe, Washington Post, New York Times. Jordan Lynch's M.A.P.S. business card. it didn't matter which. Alyssa took one of the mens' fedora that flatter her coat, "much appreciated," and tucked the business card in the ribbon, memorizing her routine script after looking at the card. Taking careful strides towards the front door, Alyssa gave a few eager knocks on the door.

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:10 pm
by BenTheRat
You rap on the door, and wait for some time, and no one answers.

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:36 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott waits with a look of quiet skepticism then turns towards the others.

"Alright. What now?"

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:00 am
by DrVendetta
Richard walks up and knocks (pounds) on the door significantly harder to ensure that it is heard by anyone on the inside then moves away from the door again.

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:29 am
by BenTheRat
Again no answer.

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:34 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

"Well this looks like a bust" I nod to Norman, "Seems you were right. Guess we'll have to call back later, if you get my drift?" I let my eyes roam to where the painters still work on their canvases.

I retrieve my hat from Alyssa, "It may look better on you, but I feel undressed without it"

"So where do we go from here, Eddie, anyone?"

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:26 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott coughs into his fist before crossing his arms.

"Perhaps we should attempt to locate where the town records are kept and see if we can't uncover some additional information about this property and it's possible owners?" he suggests.

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:52 pm
by Medri
Charles takes a deep breath and looks at the surroundings again. "If we have nothing else to do around here we have things to look up in the library aswell. But it seems a bit unfinished to knock and then turn without at least investigate the surroundings and the painters? The barn is locked, right? I was also thinking about if anyone around here might know what's inside or have access to the barn in some way." Charles lower his voice "Or, if you think it's worth it we can check the windows out back" returning to normal voice "either way I would like to go to the library when it's time for that."

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:16 am
by DrVendetta
Richard says "I have a follow up appointment with someone at the library in the morning if you would like to wait till then, no one seemed interested in the library when I said that was one of the places I was going when I mentioned it this morning, what do you want to look up there? I would prefer to find the location of the city records before going back to the library as it will probably be the location of the records on the barn not the library." as he heads to the nearest window not facing the painters for a look in it.

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"I agree, we should head for the hall of records," says Eddie. "We can come back at low tide."

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:01 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott silently takes stock of the assembled rabble of investigators presently crowding the dock.

"Or..." he glances at Eddie, "...perhaps it would be more effective to break into groups again? Some of us could head up to the hall of records while the others wait for low tide. Y'know...just to be sure we don't miss our opportunity here."

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:47 am
by DrVendetta
Richard replies "Suits me fine but I want to be at the hall of records for a while as I have a few items to check on there."

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:41 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

"Suits me, I'll hang around here" I nod to where the painters are working, "Maybe I'll see what the Da Vinci's there can tell me"
I look at Charles, "Anyone want to hang around here and shoot the breeze for a while?"

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:19 am
by DetectiveSocks
"I must ask," as Alyssa scratches her exposed head, "I'm not fond being exploited without explanation." Alyssa fixes her fading pale gold hair that has lost its cheer, "why are we here?"

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:35 pm
by jbibblesworth
"Why?" Scott repeats, exchanging puzzled glances some of the others. "This was the barn on the postcard they found by the murdered guard."

Satisfied in his spartan summation of their circumstances, he rubs his hands together and glances up towards town.

"Alright, well lets go found those town records." he suggests, "Norman, Richard,do you care to join me? It's an open invitation obviously."

Without pausing for further discussion, Scott starts off towards the town's main thoroughfare.

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:06 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard looks completely puzzled at Alyssa's question.

He then turns and follows Scott back towards the cars and town.

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:41 pm
by Medri
Charles look at Warren and Alyssa. He wonders a bit about the question and thinks that maybe they should talk about this before storming off, but then he sighs and look at the sky. "Well, I have nothing against staying here to look at what might happen. But I really think someone should look up the star-things we found in paintings and therefore someone should go to the library, because even though a lot of what we need might be at the town records, stars won't be. I could follow to the library for this, but there's no point of me going alone since I had a bigger trouble seeing what was in those stars. I think Aunt Loosa should go to the library since she recognized some pattern in it, and someone should accompany her, if you do want to go off course Loosa?" Charles turns to look at her and then turns back to the entire group. "Some of us should probably stay and investigate a bit more here though and maybe talk to some of the painters, wait for low-waters and see that we haven't missed anything important. I could do either if the ones of you who's still left thinks any of this good ideas off course." Charles looks back at the group that's left and takes a breath of the fresh air.

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:35 pm
by Silver Priest
Norman makes to follow Scott but changes his mind.

"I think you've got the town records well covered. I'll stay here with Warren and keep an eye out for any suspicious activity. If that's alright, of course."

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:38 pm
by DrVendetta
As Richard is walking away with Scott he over hears someone mentioning going to the library to research the stars and he turn and shouts to the others so they hear him "If you go to the library talk to Brian, he is a bit odd but he will get you everything you need much faster than you will be able to find it"

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:59 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   So to get this straight, Eddie, Scott and Richard are going to go hunt for the town records,
Norman, Charles and Warren are staying on the dock.
Allysa and Aunt Loosa are going to the Library?

Eddie, Scott and Richard go here.  

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:30 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I watch as Eddie, Scott and Richard head toward the cars. Turn to aunt Loosa and Alyssa, "Well, if you'll excuse me ladies" .
Without waiting for an answer or looking to see if Norman or Charles follow me, I wander towards the painters stopping near the first one as if to admire his work, "Hi, I hear tell that you come here quite often to paint. I guess the old place looks different depending on the season, light and weather conditions"

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:34 am
by BenTheRat
A woman in her mid thirties looks up from her painting, "yes, I guess it does." and goes back to her painting.

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:59 am
by Silver Priest
Norman looks for a place where he could unobtrusively observe both the painters and more importantly the wharf, seeing if anyone comes and goes from it.

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:22 am
by BenTheRat
Norman,that is really easy to do, just stand behind the painters.

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:04 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I gaze at the structure for a few seconds, "Nope, can't see it. I'm sure there must be something attractive in that place, but I can't see it myself. So what is it?"

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:27 pm
by BenTheRat
She continues to paint and says, "To see beauty in something else, you must first find beauty in yourself."

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:53 pm
by Silver Priest
Norman looks around for a newspaper or text of some sort. Provided he's successful, he finds a place to sit, even if only on the ground, and watches the painters and wharf while appearing as inconspicuous as possible.

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:18 am
by BenTheRat
There is nothing on the wharf like a newspaper or anything.

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:13 am
by Silver Priest
Norman will ask one of the painters where they buy their newspaper's from. Provided it's close enough to walk to, he'll go and buy a paper before returning to the wharf.

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:54 am
by Papa Gateau
Come on dear Aunt Loosa says to Alyssa let's go to the library and see what the stars hold for us

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:07 pm
by BenTheRat
Aunt Loosa and Alyssa head out to the parking lot and get on their motorcycle and head for the library.

Please go to this thread here.

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:15 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

"Yeah, so I've been told" I shake a cigarette from the pack and put it to my mouth before holding the pack out to her, "Cigarette? I'm trying to find an old pal of mine, name of Phil. Moved to this town a while back probably in the company of an aged relative, a preacher. Lost touch with him and trying to run him down" I light my cigarette and take a lungful, letting the smoke drift slowly out.
"Newspaper man worked for the Boston Globe for a while. I don't suppose you may have seen him around?"

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:12 pm
by BenTheRat
Norman walked down to the square and found a newspaper for a nickel.

She doesn't take your cigarette and keeps painting, "Never heard of him."

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:51 pm
by Medri
Charles looks at the painters to see if anyone could be this Howard that painted the paintings at the art association. He decides to go up and see if he could recognize the style of the painting from any of the ones there as Howards.

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:00 pm
by BenTheRat
Charles,make a spot hidden check

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:24 pm
by Medri
Ben,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4692113/]1d100=58[/url]

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:53 pm
by BenTheRat
Charles looks up and down the rows, but either Howard isn't here or you don't recognize his painting as his.

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:05 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I move amongst the painters asking the same question, does anyone know of a guy named Phil?

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:57 pm
by BenTheRat
As you walk around, and ask, most of the painters ignore you, but one seems to shake his head and say, "Yea I know a guy named Phil."

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:44 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

"Really?" I describe Phil, "That him?"

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:48 pm
by BenTheRat
"Oh, no man, this guys in California. Likes to hang out at the beach all day." he smiles, then turns back to his painting.
OOC:   The others have spent their 2 hours, did you guys want to do anything before I bring them back and recombine you? Otherwise, you watched the painters, and can be amazed at the way they layer paint on, blend and shade to get different affects. I'll give you a few more hours to post unless one of you says you are done and I'll combine you now.  

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:49 pm
by Silver Priest
Norman reads the newspaper from front to back twice, keeping a close watch on the wharf. It seems more and more likely that no one will enter or leave it however, much to his disappointment. It always worked in the detective novels.

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:06 am
by Medri
Charles asks one of the male painters at random if he knows this Howard.

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:44 am
by BenTheRat
'Huh, oh yea, thats him right there. Hey Howard, I think you got a fan." he says. He points to a young man in his early 20's.

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:06 pm
by BenTheRat
Norman,you did notice while reading the paper several personal ads from people looking for lost people. It would list a name and description and say they were last seen in Rockport, and not seen again.
You have watched as the tide rolls out and the water level has gone down by a few feet. Just as you identify Howard, it has been 2 hours and you can see your friends pull up into the parking lot.

Go to this thread here.