IC: Ch 4e. On the Beach

August 1921, Boston.
A dead guard at the abandoned chapel, a stolen statue revealing strange numbers and a burnt postcard. A strange night sighting by a Harvard professor only 2 days later has led to too many coincidences to ignore.
Dr. Chambers is forming another MAPS team, and you have been called.

Moderator: BenTheRat

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Re: IC: Ch 4e. On the Beach

Post by Silver Priest »

Norman follows the others. Eddie's swimming suggestion is something he'd rather not consider. At this point he's tempted to suggest the gang just break into the building and have a look around, though the crowd of painters discourages him. It sobers him to think he's become so willing to break the law, and in front of an officer no less. But it does not deter him.

He turns towards Eddie and whispers. "Is there anyway you'd be willing to force our way in? Perhaps if you claimed to hear a concerning noise coming from inside the building? Even in a small community like this, I would hope they'd give a police officer some, uh, benefit of the doubt."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I couldn't do that, not without some real reason to go inside," says Eddie. "We're just operating on a hunch here. Besides, I'm well out of my jurisdiction. Let's just circle around to the other side." He follows along as well.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by jbibblesworth »

Scott starts off down the beach, keeping to the dark brown patch of wet sand left by the tide. Soon the building and the pier-like stone structure it's perched upon looms overhead. Scott looks to see if there's any obvious way to skirt around to the other side.
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard follows the others trying to take in better places to view the warehouse from.
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

As you approach the Motif #1 building, there is a 3-4 foot walkway on either side of the building. On the south side, (the one shown in the picture I posted) you see what is there.

The West side, the one closes to you, has 2 large barn doors, and a smaller door inset in the larger door.

The East side, you saw from the shore, and is shown in the picture. No windows or doors.

On the North side there are 2 windows, similar to the South side and no doors. On the North side, you cannot be seen by the artists.

You hear the sound of a motorcycle.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard looks in the direction of the motorcycle sound.
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That must be Miss Ryan and Aunt Loosa," says Eddie, turning to look.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

You turn to look but you can't see any motorcycle or the parking lot from where you are standing. You would have to go out to the end of the wharf, or back through the painters.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard thinks to himself that he is not going back through the painters and continues on towards the building.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

I follow along with Richard.
Warren thinking:   If that was the girls, they'll soon find us. If there is something going on in this barn we aint gonna see it from the outside. We need to get in, if that offends [b]Eddie's[/b] cop sensibilities, tough he can keep watch outside.  
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by jbibblesworth »

Scott presses his hands to the small of his back where a dull ache is beginning to take shape. He watches as Richard and Warren press by him towards the buildings.

"Now hold a minute." he implores, hands held before him pleadingly. "What're we doing here fellas? It's clear there's nothing to be seen down here. The barn's locked up tight. We've got other leads to chase down. So we were a banging, could've been anything. A scrap of debris that smashed up against the wharf and then washed back out to see or further down the coast. Who knows? I'm starting to feel like we're wasting time here."

He looks towards Eddie, hoping the man will bring some of his natural air of authority to bear.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"The uh, way I see it, this barn is our best lead. It's linked to the crime. One of the painters claimed people lived in there, but when we knocked no one answered. It strikes me as very suspicious.

"I don't like leaving here until we can determine exactly how much or little this has to do with our investigation. But if forcing our way is not an option," here Norman looks at Eddie significantly, "I think we should go buy some paints and have one or two of us infiltrate the group and observe the building unobtrusively. Those people can then report back to the group later in the evening and let us know what they've learned."
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by jbibblesworth »

Scott lets loose an exasperated sigh and shakes his head, letting his skeptical gaze fall on the barn above them.

"If the group is set on it, then I'll help of course." he shoots a furtive glance over his shoulder before lowering his voice to a forced whisper barely audible over the pulse of the tide. "But Christ, lets at least wait till nightfall to consider breaking in!"
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Scott's reaction unsettles Norman, who quickly loses any willpower he may have had.

"if you'd all rather leave, of course I think that's for the best. I was just uh, offering a suggestion. I read it in a mystery once. I thought it might uh, help." He adjusts his glasses and shuffles from foot to foot.
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Hearing the conversation from Scott and Norman Richard chuckles to himself and says to Warren as he's laughing "So I guess he didnt buy that hammer to pry doors open with." Richard looks back towards the Warehouse as he continues to walk to it "I would like to know more about who lives there and or owns it currently before tipping our hand with a break in, that can wait till later when we know more and if it is really needed. I do want to get a much closer look though and see if we can get someone to answer when we knock"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I agree," says Eddie. "We need to find out more, and trying anything in bright daylight with plenty of witnesses out front would be the height of foolishness. If anyone comes back here at night, I don't want to know about it. Let's go around the front and compare notes with the ladies. They might have come here looking for us because they've learned something important."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

I smile at Richard's crack about the hammer, "Has he got it with him?"
I assume a look of horror at the thought of Norman smashing his way through the front door, "Yeah lets try and get an answer at the door. If that fails we can always come back later with Norm and his hammer"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard chuckles at Warrens response about Norman and his hammer.

As they approach the warehouse he turns to Eddie and looks him straight in the eye and in a very serious yet calm direct voice says "Look Eddie I don't want you to think we are a bunch of thugs running around breaking laws left and right, thats not us, but you were there that night in Boston, what you saw that time wasnt an illusion, you know those men all really died. We only disobey the law when it is required. We can leave you behind when we know we will be to recover something that is required. I promise I will always suggest to you that 'it would be better if you' and then I will suggest something else you can do that would be value added so you don't have to knowingly break any obligations you have to up hold the law, I can respect that, but when the shit hits the fan like it did earlier or like it did when we were in Boston that night you can throw the judicial system out the window and you will have to do what is neccassary."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I know it was real," said Eddie, a grim look in his eyes. "When the time comes, I can do what must be done. There's no law against shooting a monster. We just need to be sure it really is a monster next time."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard shows a slight smile as he nods his head in appreciation to Eddie's understanding that when facing monsters what has to be done has to be done.

Return to “A Star on the Shore”