IC: Ch 4b. Art Association -- Alyssa, Aunt Loosa & Charles

August 1921, Boston.
A dead guard at the abandoned chapel, a stolen statue revealing strange numbers and a burnt postcard. A strange night sighting by a Harvard professor only 2 days later has led to too many coincidences to ignore.
Dr. Chambers is forming another MAPS team, and you have been called.

Moderator: BenTheRat

DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 6 months

Re: IC: Ch 4b. Art Association -- Alyssa, Aunt Loosa & Charl

Post by DetectiveSocks »

Alyssa looks to Charles and back to the curator, "Howard sounds quite the character, and his work doesn't betray his integrity either." Howard's squatting lifestyle reminded Alyssa of her nomadic lifestyle with Jordie, in their younger and more vulnerable years of her youth. "Sorry, he was Howard...?" Stretching out the last word in the air, hoping Alyssa could encourage the curator to finish her sentence.
Persuade 75%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4658030/]Failure 81%[/url]
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

"Smith" he finishes. "Howard Smith".
Alyssa,no roll was needed
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept

Post by DetectiveSocks »

"Thank you kindly," as Alyssa leans off the counter. "Oh, which way is Bearskin if I may ask?"
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Oh, just past the square, about a block down the street." He replies.

You passed the square on the way to the woods house.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Medri
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Medri »

Charles thanks the curator and turns to Alyssa and says in a lower voice "do we stay and look at more of the paintings further in or would you like to leave directly? And eitherway, should we see if we can vistit this Bearskin on the way back?"
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept

Post by DetectiveSocks »

"I think we can make a small exception before we visit Bearskin. Business and pleasure Charles," Alyssa winks as she makes her way back to Aunt Loosa.
Medri
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Medri »

Charles moves back to the others to examine what paintings they might have missed. He have an uncomfortable feeling about it but he still thinks that they might have more important information or at least a little background about the place they've arrived to.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

As you get to the back corner of the area, the themes get much darker. Storms, sea monsters, death, etc... Make a Sanity 0/1 test. Some of the images are pretty disturbing. Something starts to catch your eye though. Make a Spot hidden check as well.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Do you see it, Charles? Aunt Loosa says in hushed tones.

She shows him her sketch of the constellation It's in all of his paintings, sometimes more obvious, sometimes more subtle. Do you recognise it? I must admit the stars aren't my forte. she continues in the same low voice.

I think maybe I'll go to the library, see if I can find any further information about it.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

After Aunt Loosa points out the constellation on the darker images, she can then show you in the other paintings where they also appear, though much more subtle and could be easily explained away if you didn't realize what you were looking at.
ooc,no need to make the spot hidden now. You still owe me Sanity checks and if you want to try your luck with Astonomy go for it.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Medri
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Medri »

Ben,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4666095/]1d100=11, 1d10=9, 1d100=98, 1d10=9[/url] Hope I got that right.
Charles looks at what Aunt Loosa has to show him. "The library seems like a good idea as well... Should we go there together before or after the Bearskin, or should we split up? Maybe there is a third alternative as well... What do you think we should do?"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Medri,Not sure what the d10 rolls were for. So lets throw those out. For the d100 rolls, the first was for Sanity, you rolled an 11, that was very good. It was a Sanity 0/1 test. Which means if you pass you suffered 0 sanity loss. If you had rolled higher than your current sanity you would have taken 1 sanity. The 2nd d100 roll was for Astronomy. You rolled a 98 which is normally a critical failure. So in reality, you think you recognize the pattern, but you are wrong, but you could role play it if you want to, and say you do see it, it looks like the Little Dipper.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept

Post by DetectiveSocks »

The recurring theme of stars looked identical regardless of season in each picture, yet Alyssa couldn't quite connect the dots the same way Aunt Loosa did. The more she stared on, the more her thoughts were lost like stars Alyssa couldn't arrange into constellations. "My word, it's quite... breath taking," searching for the appropriate words that fails her honesty. "The library isn't going anywhere, and our friend doesn't like to settle himself down. Any objections before we set forBearskin?" Alyssa puts on her motorcycle gloves.
Sanity 65%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4666550/]Success 4%[/url]
Astronomy 1%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4666551/]Failure 71%[/url]
Medri
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Medri »

Ben,Thought the rulebook said precentile plus ten sided. But I'll leave the ten sided out next time.
Charles thinks to himself if he recognize the pattern, he thinks he's seen it before but doesn't feel that sure. With a distant look he turns to Alyssa and nods. "Yes... Let's go to the Bearskin."
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept

Post by DetectiveSocks »

OOC Medri/Charles,Depending on the nature, you would only roll a d10 for things like battle damage, loss of sanity, etc depending on what percentile you rolled beforehand. Though d10 is not needed sometimes. However, you only needed to roll [i]Astronomy[/i] and [i]Sanity[/i] in this case. Your [i]Astronomy[/i] is only at 01% which is the base for everyone, and your [i]Sanity[/i] is 46%.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

The 3 of you hop on the motorcycle and head to the square. There are parking spots there and a sign that reads "Bearskin Neck". As you park your bike you notice both the other cars from your group are here. As you walk up to the walkway of bearskin neck, it is a very narrow road that leads out to a wharf. Buildings are lining both sides of the small road, and just on the other side of the buildings you see a group of painters scattered about. You see the rest of the MAPS team having just passed the painters and are moving out of sight behind a building.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept

Post by DetectiveSocks »

"Always one step behind," Alyssa mutters to herself, as she takes off her helmet. Climbing out the bike, Alyssa makes pace towards the familiar faces that went past the building.
Medri
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Medri »

Charles take in the suroundings and follow the group in the distant as well.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

As you walk up past the painters, you see the red building called Motif #1. You see about half of the painters are painting it. The other half are doing other sea based subjects, boats, beaches, the light-houses, etc...

You rush on past them and the your fellow investigators seem to be disagreeing on their course of action. You catch up to them right as they reach the red building out on the end of the wharf.

OOC: please go to this thread.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich

Return to “A Star on the Shore”