IC: Ch 2. Welcome to Rockport

August 1921, Boston.
A dead guard at the abandoned chapel, a stolen statue revealing strange numbers and a burnt postcard. A strange night sighting by a Harvard professor only 2 days later has led to too many coincidences to ignore.
Dr. Chambers is forming another MAPS team, and you have been called.

Moderator: BenTheRat

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Re: IC: Ch 2. Welcome to Rockport

Post by BenTheRat »

Aunt Loosa,You know that an illusion this complex and detailed would definetely need line of sight to accomplish. But when you did the dispel on the 2nd half of the illusion, he did not feel close. You have heard of people being able to use animals as an avatar, to see through them, and even cast through them, but it almost always resulted in the death of the animal.
Charles San,to move things along, target = 47, [dice]0[/dice]
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Post by jbibblesworth »

Spoiler:
Occult Roll - 15 - 1d100 - [6] = (6) Success!
"I'm with Eddie." Scott says, "The sooner we get to Rockport and figure this mess out the better. Who knows what other tricks Phil has up his sleeve?"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Scott,you read in some book somewhere, that control a dynamic illusion, requires line of sight.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

"Well let's not hesitate to leave," Alyssa gets up from the ground and gestures with poise composure towards the vehicle, "Shall we?"
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Before we go into town," says Eddie, "we should look to see if we can find Phil's tracks. I don't know if he had to be nearby to create his illusions - I don't even know how it's possible - but he seems the sort who wants to stick around and watch his nasty handiwork."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Well Mr. Kane, I have been thinking on these illusions.

Firstly it requires some skill to blend two illusions together, to build one on the foundation of the other.

Also, to my knowledge and experience, to control complex illusions such as these, moving illusions with sounds, would require the caster to see us.

However, when I dispelled the cyclops illusion I had no sense that the caster, this Phil to be near by. I think that he was casting through an avatar, a proxy. It is unusual and again displays quite some skill and ability.

I think that the dead crow over there, is more than likely the poor creature that he used for this purpose - they rarely survive the ordeal.

Finally, to answer your question about a link - which it now appears is redundant. I initially meant a link to the crime, however, had this been a true killing, initiated via magic then there could quite possibly have been created a link between Phil and the knife. It is hard to say - blood magic is very powerful and from what I have seen today Phil appears to be quite an accomplished mage. Whether he needs that link or not is hard to say. He managed to find us and cast his spells, even though we were lost. Perhaps he already has a link to one or more of you that have encountered him in the past?

Things to ponder, hmm?
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

I chew my bottom lip in thought at the words of Loosa.
Warren thinking:   Like Sonnys trumpet perhaps?  
I nod my head, "Yeah I saw the dead bird. Seems to have just died"

I take a long drag on my cigarette and look towards Eddie, "Already thought of that. But there is nothing, no sign of anyone, nothing but a dead bird"

I toss the cigarette to the floor and with my heel rub it out, "Best be away before Phil sends us another greetings card". I move towards the car.
Warren thinking:   Sure glad I never got rid of my knife  

I smile a wry smile as I pull the car door open, "Coming?"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Norman listens with rapt attention as Loosa so casually explains the workings of magic as if it is a common topic for her. Despite the gravity of the situation, her words do much to ease the librarian's mental discomfort. Despite the dangers, this was fascinating. Magic and odd creatures and illusions. It was like something out of a fairy tale.

He adjusts his glasses before speaking. "I uh, do believe we should head into town as quickly as possible. Any hope of stealth we may have possessed is now gone. I wonder if this was Phil's idea of a welcome for us."

He heads back towards Eddie's car.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

You pile into your 2 cars and motorcycle, and continue down the dirt road. It isn't long it comes up beside a railroad track and then a couple miles up the road it ends in a cross road with a rail station. An old wooden sign with the words 'Rockport Rail Station' hangs on the building.
You see people working around the train yard, and a man is sitting at a window at the station, otherwise the place looks pretty deserted. There is no train at the station. The crossroad goes both the left and the right.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard pulls over to the closest person and ask "Which way to town?"
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Eddie keeps an alert watch on their surroundings, though he doesn't quite trust his own eyes any more.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Medri
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Medri »

Charles Feel a strong discomfort at the thought of Loosa's suggestion that birds might have been used. It wakes his fantasy and he thinks about the possibility of birds flying over them and watching their way. It feels a lot worse to have mages over you head then on the steady ground, even if it wouldn't make a difference. To keep the possible panic away he tries to breath slowly and bring himself together so that he can focus on what the group can and will do next in this search for the cause. He seems to calm down a bit and come to senses but with a nagging feeling in his gut.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:
As Richard speaks, I look around. Being jumped once in a day is enough.
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

The railroad worker looks at the strange group assembled before him, "well either way, but if you want Main street, take a right." He goes back to his work.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Eddie sits behind the wheel of his car, ready to follow Richard.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

Meanwhile, Alyssa snaps a picture at the Rockport Rail Station sign, gathering material that would be her exclusive inside story.
Photography 65%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4616372/]Failure 85%[/url]
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
Medri
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Medri »

Charles seems to have gathered enough breath to be himself again after the short thoughts of panic about the birds. He calmly waits for the others.
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard starts down the road again taking a right to head towards main strret.
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

As Richard drives I keep a watch outside. Phil is hardly likely to be walking about the main street, but you never know. He always was an arrogant bastard and power makes you more arrogant.

Spot Hidden,65% 1d100 → [20] = (20) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4617693/
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

You drive down the paved road for a small bit and it runs into a larger road. Warren doesn't see Phil, but he does see some street signs. The road you are on isRailroad, the cross road which is larger has a sign that says Main St and stretches off to the left and right. On the other side of Main a road continues but angles to your left (so if you were going South, it is going SE) with a street sign Broadway.
While Railroad Ave was mainly empty Main street is filled. Mostly with 2 story residential homes. Most look 20-30 years old, but all kept in very good condition. Immediately to your right at the corner of Railroad and Main is a Lumber and Hardware store. That is the only non-residential building you see.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich

Return to “A Star on the Shore”