Page 1 of 1

IC: Ch 2. Welcome to Rockport

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:56 pm
by BenTheRat
Date: August 12, 1921, 8:00 AM

Norman,Here is what you found from a couple hours research on Rockport, MA. Before the coming of the English explorers and colonists, Cape Ann was home to a number of Native American villages, inhabited by members of the Agawam tribe. Samuel de Champlain named the peninsula "Cap Aux Isles" in 1605, and his expedition may have landed there briefly. By the time the first Europeans founded a permanent settlement at Gloucester in 1623, most of the Agawams had been killed by diseases caught from early contacts with Europeans. The area that is now Rockport was simply an uninhabited part of Gloucester for more than 100 years, and was primarily used as a source of timber—especially pine-for shipbuilding. The area around Cape Ann was also one of the best fishing grounds in New England. In 1743, a dock was built at Rockport harbor on Sandy Bay and was used for both timber and fishing. By the beginning of the 19th century, the first granite quarries were developed, and by the 1830s, Rockport granite was being shipped to cities and towns throughout the East Coast of the United States. Rockport had consisted primarily of large estates, summer homes, and a small fishing village while Gloucester was becoming increasingly urbanized. Rockport was set off as a separate town in 1840 as its residents desired a separate enclave with an identity of its own, and was incorporated in 1840.  As the demand for its high-grade granite grew during the Industrial Revolution, the quarries of Rockport became a major source of the stone. In 1856, a gang of 200 women led by Hannah Jumper swept through the town and destroyed anything containing alcohol in what is called "Rockport's revolt against rum" and banned alcohol from the town.

Re: IC: Ch 2. Welcome to Rockport

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:44 am
by BenTheRat
At 5 am everyone meets at the museum. Norman looks pretty tired. Ms. Patton had laid out some pastries, coffee and tea.
For those new to the group she hands each of you a small satchel. The letters M.A.P.S. are stamped into the soft leather. She also hands all of you $20.
If you look in the satchel, each bag has a flashlight, pocket knife, some rope, box of matches, a notepad, pen, small first aid kit and a set of 20 business cards with your name, the initials M.A.P.S., a fancy seal and a phone number you don't recognize, but it is a Boston city area number.
She also lays out a map of Rockport:

map

Ms. Patton hands Richard and Scott each a box of .45 ammo with 50 rounds. "That should be more than enough for the 2 of you. I have booked 4 rooms for you at the Woods House on South Street. I've also marked where the Library is and the train depot." she continues, "Is there anything else I can get you before you head out? And do be careful." The words 'this time' being left off but hanging there unsaid.

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:21 am
by jbibblesworth
Scott carefully transfers the contents of the MAPs bag to his medical satchel, preferring to minimize the amount of luggage he has to tote around. He nods his appreciation to Ms. Patton and looks to Warren.

"Less time we spend on idle chatter the better." he states flatly, "Whoever did this has a helluva head start on us. Best not to waste time. I'm ready when you are."

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:02 am
by Silver Priest
Having been up most of the night, Norman is mostly yawns until everyone arrives. He gratefully takes a coffee, thanking Ms. Patton.

"I was able to find some information on Rockport, though I'm uncertain if any of it is particularly relevant. It was originally a part of the Gloucester settlement, an area used primarily for lumber, especially for shipbuilding. A dock was built at Rockford Harbor in 1743 I believe, right on Sandy Bay. By the 1830's Rockford granite was being shipped to places all around the East Coast. It became a separate town from Gloucester in 1840.
In 1856, a Ms. Hannah Jumper led a temperance revolt throughout town, destroying any alcohol she or her mob could get their hands on. They banned it from the town. Some things never change, I suppose
."

"All in all, seems like a rather traditional place. I'm looking forward to visiting it. Should be quite the adventure!"

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks," says Eddie, accepting the satchel gratefully and inspecting its contents. "Well, let's hit the road."

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:59 am
by DetectiveSocks
With all the new items removed into her camera bag, Alyssa helps herself to the coffee, "All set Aunt Loose?"

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:51 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Right now I have Eddie driving his Model T which can hold 4 more, and Alysa driving with Aunt Loosa in the side car. So either some of you need to take the train or I need another driver. I have Norman riding in with Eddie, but no one else has stated who they are riding with.  

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:52 am
by DrVendetta
occ,[b]Richard[/b] will vollunteer to drive if he has an auto at his disposal

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:48 am
by BenTheRat
Ms. Patton checks a 1918 Oldsmobile out to Richard.
OOC:   You now have enough seats, who is riding with whom? Then all 3 drivers please make 1 drive Auto roll.  

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:49 am
by jbibblesworth
Spoiler:
ooc - Scott mentioned in the Lounge thread his intention to ride with Warren.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:59 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

Picking up a steaming cup of coffee, I look at Scott, "Might be best if we ride with Richard, keep cars to a minimum"
I'm not sure if my old jalopy has the stamina to go racing around the state, it's seen better days.

I blow steam from the cup, take a sip and almost curse aloud as the hot liquid catches my mouth, "Best we fix a place to meet up in Rockport...In case one or more of us gets delayed"
I'm thinking of a rather rickety looking motorcycle combination that was parked out side.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:00 am
by DetectiveSocks
"We can meet up at Woods House on South St. and check in, settle down for a little while then pay a visit to the local library?" Alyssa answers Warren's question.
Drive Auto 20%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4589900/]Failure 60%[/url]

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:12 am
by DrVendetta
Richard places the bullets in his satchell and heads for the door. "Ok whoever is in with me lets go. We will see you all at the Woods House. Warren would you grab the map?"
Ben,Drive chance = 26% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Sounds good to me," says Eddie. Once everyone who is riding with him is on board, he sets out, but it's slow going.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:38 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I pick up one of the maps, nod at Scott and follow Richard outside to the car.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:53 am
by Papa Gateau
Aunt Loosa follows Alyssa out to her combo

I think this is rather exciting - a ride in a motor-cycle! Come on dear - let's not be tardy, can't have the men-folk getting there first eh? she shoots Alyssa with her beaming smile and an exaggerated wink.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:34 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott follows Warren and Richard towards the car, the leaden weight of the pistol concealed in his satchel at the forefront of his thoughts.

'Here's hoping this doesn't come in handy.' he silently wished.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:10 pm
by BenTheRat
Alyssa gets on her motorcycle while Aunt Loosa climbs into the side car.
Richard takes the convertable Olds with Warren and Scott.
While Eddie drives his model T with Charles and Norman.
You set off and quickly escape the noise of the city and are in the Massachusetts country side. The Autumn air is cool while you drive and the winding roads can seem to lull you to sleep, you passed the city of Salem some 40 minutes back but you haven't seen anyone on the road in 20 minutes except for the 3 of you. The road turned from the newly paved concrete road to rocks and now to dirt.
Somewhere you made a wrong turn. At least you are all lost together. It must have been that decision to get off the main road to drive down on the coast line, but you haven't seen a coast line yet and you aren't sure you ever will. Most of you know what the ocean smells like with the salt spray in the air, but there is none of that here. Nothing but woods and a dirt road.
OOC:   All of you may make a Navigation roll, or luck roll your choice. Everyone also make a Spot Hidden roll.  

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:26 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott steps out of the automobile and quizzically inspects their surroundings for a moment before turning back to face the convoy of cars.

"Where could we have taken a wrong turn?" he ponders aloud.
Spoiler:
Luck Roll - Target 80 - 1d100 → [23] = (23) Success
Spot Hidden - Target 45 - 1d100 → [5] = (5)

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:48 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   Rolls,
Luck[75][dice]0[/dice]
Spot hidden[75][dice]1[/dice]  

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:13 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:
Rolls,Luck: 50% Spot Hidden: 65% 1d100 → [11] = (11) 1d100 → [87] = (87) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4590442/ So, Luck yes, Spot Hidden no.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:03 pm
by DetectiveSocks
Luck 65%; Spot Hidden 75%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4590617/]Luck Success 17%; Spot Hidden Failure 87%[/url]

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:41 pm
by DrVendetta
Ben,Luck chance is 50% [dice]0[/dice] Spot Hidden chance is 49% [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:12 am
by BenTheRat
While all of you are standing around, hoping that good luck will shine down on you instead of trying to figure out the right way to go, 2 young boys of perhaps 12 or 13 are walking down the dirt road towards you. They are wearing blue jeans, buttoned up shirts and are carrying fishing poles.
Most of you notice the wheel on Eddie's Model T is looking pretty bad where the solid rubber tire is attached to the wheel.

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy

The situation isn't all that bad; Eddie spots the problem with his wheel and sets about trying to fix it.

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:58 am
by DetectiveSocks
Climbing out of her motorbike, Alyssa removes her helmet and rests it on the bike, fixing her goggles up to her forehead. Alyssa slowly moves towards the two boys, "I'm terribly embarrassed to admit, but we're quite loss. Is Rockport isn't too far from here I hope?" With a welcoming smile, Alyssa bends down to the same height, "'Would you kindly dear?

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:24 pm
by jbibblesworth
As Alyssa approaches the boys, Scott joins Eddie in attempting to repair the battered tire.
Spoiler:
Mechanical Roll - 20% - 1d100 → [3] = (3)

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:59 pm
by BenTheRat
"Wow Jimmy look, they must be gangsters," one of the kids say. "What are you guys doing way out here, there aren't any banks to rob here."
The tire takes a few minutes to swap out, but that is the only spare you have.

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:32 pm
by Papa Gateau
Aunt Loosa joins Alyssa

Well my dears, do I really look like a gangster or a moll! she gives a little chuckle

My friends and me were hoping to spend the day by the sea but we seem to have got ourselves all turned around and higgeldy-piggeldy lost. Would you be so kind as to point this old lady in the right direction for Rockport? she leans closer to the boys and whispers conspiratorially Don't let the men-folk know, they get awful upset about asking for help or directions she winks and her smile beams down on the lads.

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:34 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

Seeing that Scott and Eddie have the wheel change well under control, I spend a few moments kicking the other wheels.
"These look okay for a time, but I wouldn't trust them too far".

Watching the faces of the boys when the aged black woman speaks to them is a picture. I dig in a pocket for a couple of dimes just in case.

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:00 pm
by Silver Priest
Aside from the snoring, Norman remained largely quiet during the drive. He had decided to take advantage of the chauffeuring and try to be well rested for when they arrived in Rockport.

He awakes with a jolt when Eddie stops the car and sets about fixing whatever problem it had. The librarian gets out and joins his traveling companion, who by now had been joined by Scott.

"Looks rather nasty. Good think you have a spare." Norman makes several vapid comments that likely only serve to irritate the two men as they work. Despite this it is clear he is trying to help, however ineffectively.

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:54 am
by DrVendetta
Richard steps out of the car and looks around trying to figure out where they took a wrong turn. He see's that the others are working on changing out a tire on the other car why the women are talking to two boys. Richard decides to walk over to where the women are talking to the boys to ensure that they are getting directions on how to find there way back to the main road and town.

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's not so bad," says Eddie. "Of course, that's the only spare I've got. I'll have to buy another in Rockport - assuming we ever get there, that is."

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:59 am
by BenTheRat
Just as you are finishing up the tire, the two boys are making idle talk about when they went to the ocean earlier that summer, when the two of them began to grow, Their skin turned a brown hue and their shirts ripped off their bodies. The eyes for each boy moved and merged until each had only a single eye in their forehead. Their fishing poles turned into huge clubs as they continue to grow until they over 10 feet tall.
ooc all,everyone make a sanity 1/1d6 check. For those new to the game, this means if you roll your sanity or less you suffer 1 sanity point. If you fail you suffer 1d6. If you suffer 5 or more, other bad things happen. If you pass or suffer less than 5 points Sanity you may react.

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Um...what?!" says Eddie, bewildered but not too stunned to act. He gets behind the wheel of his car and starts it up. "Everyone back in the vehicles! We need to get out of here!"

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:22 am
by Silver Priest
San,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4592438/]San roll (55%) (1d100=46)[/url]
The sheer impossibleness of the situation prevents Norman from truly focusing on it, perhaps keeping his mind from shattering. Deciding that this was an excellent time to listen to Officer Donovan, he rushes back towards the car.

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:22 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I watch as the figures change, fingers nervelessly releasing the coins in my pocket...
San Roll,1d100 → [60] = (60) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4592454/ 1d6 → [5] = (5) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4592458/ Here we go again. 5 points Sanity loss.

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:13 pm
by Papa Gateau
Spoiler:
Rolls,
Sanity[75] - [dice]0[/dice]
Aunt Loosa takes a step back as she sees the transformation take place in front her.

Alyssa dear, get your motorcycle ready. Off you run, now! she turns back towards to the creature

Really, this isn't the time or place for this! she starts to chant or pray, it's difficult to tell which as she is speaking in a her native creol argot; it seems she is entreating something or someone - the words or the name Papa Legba are repeated several times.

She walks slowly backwards whilst she does so, keeping her eyes on the things in front of her.

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:27 pm
by BenTheRat
Warren,please make a Know check, this one you want to fail.
aunt Loosa,please make an occult check

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:34 pm
by Papa Gateau
Roll,Occult[90] [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:35 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:
Know,80% 1d100 → [47] = (47) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4592698/ Aw, for fu....Didn't you just now it

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:04 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard freeze's in his tracks stunned at the image of the two boys transforming into cyclope's
Sanity roll,sanity = 50 sanity roll [dice]0[/dice]
Richard pulls out both of his guns as he starts backing up towards the car. He see's Loosa standing there chanting in front of the two transforming boys, thoughts of his mother enter his mind, he shakes his head to clear it and prepares to take a shot if either of the cyclopese takes a swing at Aunt Loosha. As he is preparing his aim with the gun in his right hand he suddenly realizes he hasnt pulled out his second gun with his left hand but his flask.
Ben,this is my special flask

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:50 pm
by BenTheRat
Warren,You suffer from a Temporary Insanity, and you get: [dice]0[/dice]
As Warren screams, he pulls out his knife from his satchel, drops the satchel to the ground and charges at the 2 Cyclops creatures while screaming something unintelligible along the way..

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:19 am
by jbibblesworth
Scott watches in wide-eyed terror as the nightmarish spectacle in front of him unfolds.
Spoiler:
SAN Roll - 55% - 1d100 → [57] = (57) Fail

1d6 → [6] = (6) Oh goddamit

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:17 am
by BenTheRat
Scott,Make a Know check, you want to fail this.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:03 am
by DrVendetta
Ben,I will take a shot at the cyclopese as soon as I get a chance once I see that [b]Warren[/b] has lost it and now this is going to be a fight.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:21 am
by BenTheRat
Dr. V,understand, but we need to let the others post first, we are waiting on 2 more.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:33 am
by jbibblesworth
Spoiler:
KNOW - 90% - 1d100 → [24] = (24) Fail...well.....succesd...but y'know...fail in this context

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:07 pm
by DetectiveSocks
Regretfully, Alyssa had wished she brought her camera bag with her, leaving it in the side-car between Aunt Loosa's legs. Without any warning that had provoked this sudden escalation, Alyssa helps usher Aunt Loosa back to the motorcycle.
Sanity 65%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4593920/]Success 48%[/url]

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:40 pm
by BenTheRat
Scott,This stuff just keeps getting more and more weird. Your mind snaps again, this time you: [dice]0[/dice]
Scott says, "Alyssa dear, get your motorcycle ready. Off you RUN."
Then says,
"Um...what?! Everyone back in the vehicles! We need to get out of here!"
Then continues, "Really, this isn't the time or place for this!"
Finally he screams something but no one can make out what.
Scott,You will just stand there and repeat what everyone else says for a while.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:51 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   I will NPC Charles until he return  
Sanity check,target = 51[dice]0[/dice]
Sanity loss,[dice]1[/dice]
Charles turns and runs to the car with Eddie and jumps in with him.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:56 pm
by BenTheRat
A booming voice comes from the identical Cyclops, but it sounds like 1 voice, "This is the best MAPS has to throw at me, HAHAHAHA!!" and each of them rears their clubs back as if to strike.
ooc all,Those that are not insane may act as you like. For those of you who are insane you should already know your actions.
Richard-Charles-Warren,make a listen check on top of your normal action.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:10 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard Listen Roll,listen chance = 58% listen roll [dice]0[/dice] so this was a success. Unless you tell me that I aim at something else because of what I heard I will take my shot at the Cyclopese. Handgun chance = 75% Handgun roll [dice]1[/dice] another success. I will leave out what I am specifically hitting for you to add that if needed in your description of what happens with my actions.
Richard yells to the others "Get back to the vehicles!" As he fires a shot that hits its mark and continues to back up towards the car he was driving.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:01 am
by BenTheRat
Richard,The voice your recognize as Phil's

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:52 am
by Mr. Handy

When Eddie sees that Warren is charging one of the creatures, he realizes that they can't simply all get out of here, and he has to help him out. He draws his revolver, leans out the window, and shoots the cyclops that Warren didn't engage, so as to keep from accidentally hitting him. The bullet doesn't do much daamge.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:40 am
by DrVendetta
Ben,sorry forgot my damage roll here it is [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:54 am
by jbibblesworth
"This is the best MAPs has to throw at me?! HAHAHAHA!"" Scott cries maniacally, a font of spittle flying from his lips. "Get back to the vehicles!"

Despite his proclamation, he makes no visible effort to return to the cars, but rather paces the stretch of road he occupies in ever-tightening circles.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:04 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:
Listen,65% 1d100 → [40] = (40) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4594582/ Well at least IC was kind to me on one roll :)
France 1918, and screaming a war cry, I rush towards the tall German machine gunner brandishing my wickedly sharp fighting knife, my rifle long forgotten back in the trench.
"C'mon on then you kraut sausage munchers"

For a moment I fall silent, listening intently, before continuing my mad assault on the German trench, just behind me I see comrades spitting curses and shouting something in German.
Ben,I will launch myself at the enemy in mad abandon. Fighting Knife 45%: 1d100 → [89] = (89) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4594584/ Missed! Oh well it probably wouldn't have done any damage anyway

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:21 pm
by BenTheRat
Warren,I love it. In the back of your mind something registers, but your just not sure what. Something is wrong, but then again, there are germans to be killed. You will figure it out when you come out of this, assuming you don't die.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:10 am
by Silver Priest
Norman cowers in the car. He wants to help Warren and Scott, but he has no weapon or idea of how to even begin to. The pure terror of the situation spares him from thinking, and his mind has reverted towards the basic need of his own survival.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:08 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   Where are we at in the round Ben? Have we all acted this turn - I'm ready to post but don't want to jump the gun if I've missed anyone in my reckoning  

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:40 am
by BenTheRat
OOC:   I think we are only waiting on you and Alyssa.  

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:23 am
by DetectiveSocks
Running back to the motorcycle with Aunt Loosa, Alyssa hops onto her bike, straps her helmet on and begins igniting the roar of the engine.
OOC,Oops, I didn't realize everybody was waiting for me too. I was just keeping up with what's going on, since I don't really see myself in this combat.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:20 pm
by BenTheRat
Alyssa,you can't control other players. What if Aunt Loosa doesn't want to go with you? Now if you want to try and grapple her and forcer her to go that is a different matter. But I believe that player has other plans.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:34 pm
by Papa Gateau
Aunt Loosa continues chanting in creole, she shakes off Alyssa's insistent tugging at her sleeve and waves her away, whilst keeping her eyes fixed on the creatures in front her.

Her voice becomes stronger, the sing-song lilt of her chant more forceful...
Ben,The occult roll was made last round (critical success I think?) so now its a Pow roll Pow[15]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:02 pm
by BenTheRat
Charles starts beeping the car horn, "Come on guys lets get the hell out of here.".
The 2 shots from Richard and Eddie smack into the chest of the Cyclops on the left, he stumbles backwards and falls to the ground.
Warren's knife attacks miss badly, while Aunt Loosa cannot seem to get her chanting on track while Alyssa continues to pull on her arm dragging her towards the motorcycle.
the Cyclops swings his club down on Warren.
attack,target = 40 [dice]0[/dice]
The club slams into the ground next to Warren with a thud, barely missing him.
The Cyclops lifts his club ready for another swing.
OOC:   This will start another round, everyone please post your intentions for this round along with any dice rolling.  

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:46 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott gestures wildly at unseen spectators as he continues his frantic pacing.

"Come on guys, lets get the hell out of here!" he bellows.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:55 pm
by Papa Gateau
Aunt Loosa's voice grows louder and more insistent, with both arms free she begins to gesticulate towards the one-eyed beasts...
Ben,Pow[15] - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:59 pm
by DetectiveSocks
As Alyssa lets the motorcycle engine purr, she rummages around in the side-car looking for her camera. Pulling out her camera and dextrously fixing the camera, she takes aim at the huge fight with the monster.
Photography 65%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4597235/]Success 23%[/url]

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:33 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

"Son of a bitch!!" I yell as a dud mortar round hits the ground alongside me. The tall German is pulling back the bolt on his machine gun, I scream "C'mon boys just a few more yards and we are home!"
A second German falls to several well placed rifle shots. To my rear an officer keeps blowing his whistle and screaming something unintelligable.
Slightly to my rear a small coloured lady dressed in a French uniform keeps chanting something in French.
I draw back my arm and thrust my knife forward, hoping this time for better luck.
Attack,(Fighting Knife) 45% 1d100 → [2] = (2) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4597354/ Hit the Bas...! Damage 1d4+2: 1d4+2 → [3,2] = (5) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4597362/ Do I get an Impale?

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:03 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Oh yea, thats an impale  

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:53 am
by DrVendetta
Richard is a little suprised that the first Cyclopes dropped so easily he knows that his first shot was dead on but he had expected much more fight from the creature based on what was experienced in there last investigation. He takes aim at the second cyclopes and pulls the trigger.
Ben,handgun chance = 75 handgun roll [dice]0[/dice] damage roll = [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:00 am
by BenTheRat
Before anyone else can act Richard's gun goes off putting a bullet in the arm of the 2nd one. Then as Aunt Loosa keeps chanting, the Cyclops begins to shrink down, the eyes separate and young boy returns, but not before Warren impales him with a knife.
Warren begins to come out of his WWI flashback to see his knife stuck in a young boys chest, his life blood running out on his arms. His companion, with his fishing pole, laying still with 2 gun shot wounds to the chest.
ooc: Warren, Richard, Eddie, Aunt Loosa, & Alyssa need to all make a sanity 0/d3 check.

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:14 am
by DetectiveSocks
Lowering the camera down from her face, Alyssa is horrified at what just happened before her, "Oh my god." She climbs out of the motorcycle with the keys still in the bike, and runs toward Warren's side. "You okay there?" as Alyssa rests her hand on his shoulder, she glances between the wounds on the boys and Warren. "Wha... 'wha should we do? Should we help? They're just children," Alyssa's voice shaken up as she can't take her eyes off their wounds.
Sanity 64%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4597692/]Success 15[/url]

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:39 am
by DrVendetta
Looking around thinking that Phil may be close bye, Richard starts to run up to Warren and the boy's bodies.
Ben,sanity roll = [dice]0[/dice] and here is a spot check in case you need one for me looking around curious of how [b]Phil[/b] knew we were here spot hidden chance = 49 roll = [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:02 am
by jbibblesworth
Scott drops to the dusty road below and cradles his head in between his knees, slowly rocking back and forth.

"...should we help...they're just children...should we help....they're just children..." he repeats endlessly through broken sobs.

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:02 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie recovers quickly and races to the fallen boys. "Of course we've gotta help them!" he shouts. "Maybe we can still save them!" He checks the one he had shot to see if it's not too late; if it is, he goes to the other one instead. Working quickly, he manages to stop the bleeding from one of the grievous wounds and heal much of the damage.

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:26 am
by Silver Priest
Norman follows Eddie, deciding it is safer to stay with the cop and the others who actually have weapons. He attempts to use his rudimentary medical skills to stop the other boy's(?) bleeding, but finds he has little success. The librarian is not certain wherever or not he should be relieved.
First Aid,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4597906/]First aid (30%) (1d100=37)[/url]

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:42 am
by Papa Gateau
Aunt Loosa rushes over to the boys, muttering under her breath moun embisil ak zam yo and shooting dark looks at Richard and Warren

We need get these boys to doctor or hospital, you hear me now! she looks at the others around her. She then opens her bag and pulls out a small knife and deftly cuts a small lock of hair from each boy and wraps each into a twist of paper.

She then takes 2 small vials and takes a small sample of blood from both of them, all the while muttering Such a waste, such a waste, your poor boys.

When she is done she places the envelopes and folders back into her bag and claps her hands briskly Now! Now! Get these boys to a car she stands up and heads over to Alyssa and her motorcycle combo.
Ben,am I correct that a wound can only be treated by 1st Aid once (whether the roll is successful or fails) and therefore, there is no point in me trying to 1st aid the wounds again?
OOC:   All - I'm harvesting today (20 hectares) so will unlikely post again today  

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:44 am
by DetectiveSocks
Looking at the others who have scrambled around the other boy who was shot, Alyssa looks down at the poor boy with Warren as she watches the blood pooling out of him. Guilt washing her over, "Help me here Texas," as Alyssa shakes Warren's shoulder. Still awkwardly holding the camera, Alyssa slings the large clunky camera over her shoulder, and tries her best helping the poor boy.

Alyssa laid the boy carefully on his back and ripped open his shirt, popping a few buttons in urgent motion. With the signs of violence on this innocent looking boy, Alyssa grabbed one of her spare camera lens cloth from her bag, and wiped away all the excess blood from the chest. "We'll need proper bandages to cover his wound or else his lung will collapse," Alyssa looking over at Warren
First Aid 30%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4597946/]Crit. Success 2%[/url]
OOC,do I roll twice for crit success?

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:06 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I shake my head as the images of a mud covered part of France dissolve to be replaced by the sight of the two small boys covered in blood and with the hilt of my knife sticking out the chest of one of them. No Germans, no trenches, nor roar of rifle, machine gun, and artillery, just two small very dead boys.
As I look horrified, a familiar voice sounds in my ears and a hand grasps my shoulder.
Previously Alyssa said:   "Help me here Texas,"  
"Jordie!!" I turn quick but it's not her, simply the leather motorcycle helmeted photographer Alyssa.
"For a moment there I thought you were someone else. She had a habit of calling me 'Texas'"

I take a deep breath and drop to my knees, looking around.
"Scott!! I guess we'll be needing your bag of tricks after all"

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:49 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott doesn't respond to Warren's prompting, but simply lays curled up in the middle of the road, uselessly mimicking the comments of the group in between bouts of choked sobbing.
OOC:   So uh...how long does this go on for?  

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:51 pm
by DetectiveSocks
Alyssa shrugs her shoulder, "Birds of the same feather flock together," as her hands are covered in blood, waiting for proper bandage to be applied.

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:29 pm
by BenTheRat
As you run to the fallen boys the first one with the 2 gun shot wounds is laying on the ground, not moving. His eyes staring up into space.
The 2nd one with the knife impaled slumps to the ground, blood gurgling from his mouth, blood flowing from the wound.
Scott comes out of his temp insanity of seeing the Cyclops and sees the massive amounts of blood gushing from the boy.
Scott,I think your hemophobia will kick in here.
Everyone crowds around the 2nd boy doing first aid. Several successful attempts to stop the blood were successful, but it is evident that blood is filling his lung. He manages to gurgle out, "mama?" along with coughing up a lot of the red fluid, and then goes limp. He appears unresponsive at this point.
Norman runs up and sees the boys.
Norman,make a sanity 0/d3 check
OOC:   Warren and Aunt Loosa owe me a sanity 0/d3 check. FYI, everyone may attempt to 1st aid a wound until someone is successful.  

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:35 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

On my knees hands covered in blood, I shrug, "I...."
Sanity,46% I think 1d100 → [14] = (14) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4598401/ Phew! Nice Invisible Castle.

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:59 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott appears to momentarily surface from his fugue state, his glassy eyes gradually regaining some measure of awareness. He looks wearily towards his fellow investigators huddled around two prone figures and makes his way shakily towards them.

At the sight of the streaming blood that blankets the boy's thin chest his breath becomes sporadic and his head seems to reel in on itself.
Spoiler:
SAN Roll - 49% - 1d100 → [68] = (68) FAIL
Scott simply stares dumbly at the gravely injured youth, his extensive medical training as useless as his mind at this point.

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:18 pm
by Silver Priest
Observing the grisly scene, Norman mutely shakes his head. He rises to his feet, steeping away from the bodies as he composes himself. Removing his glasses, he still seems a bit shocked.

He had a feeling he'd be seeing a lot of this sort of thing in MAPS.
Spoiler:

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:08 am
by DrVendetta
Richard kneels down to try to help the others with the boy's.
First Aid roll,first aid chance = 39 roll = [dice]0[/dice]
As Richard works on trying to help the boy's he says "Everyone keep an eye out for Phil, Loosa do you think that Phil knows we are here because he is close or do you think he is watching us by using some form of scrying? You clearly know your way around this type of stuff"

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:28 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine;

At Richard's mention of Phil I half rise staring around quickly, "Phil's here?"
First Aid,30% 1d100 → [77] = (77) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4598726/

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:54 am
by BenTheRat
At this point the boy is completely unresponsive. You can tell from your first aid attempts, the boy is gone.

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:17 am
by DrVendetta
Richard turns and looks at Warren "Didn't any of you here him? When then Cyclops roared out together 'This is the best MAPS has to throw at me?' that was Phil's voice, I am positive that was Phil's voice."

Richard stands back up realizing that the boy is beyond help at this point.

"I am telling you the Proffesor isn't telling us everything he knows about Phil, how does Phil know about MAPS or that we are even a part of MAPS? How did he know we were here? How did he transform these boy's into that monster?" Richard yells out in frustration to know one in particular once he returns to his feet.

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"No..." says Eddie, starting to choke up as tears swell in his eyes. "I knew my first instinct to flee was right, but when he charged in there...I only winged the cyclops, didn't think I did that much damage, but it was still my fault...Did they really turn into monsters, or did we hallucinate the whole thing?" He stands up. "We have to bury them."

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:18 am
by DrVendetta
Richard lowers his head and collects himself again then looks over to Eddie "It wasnt your fault Eddie this was Phil's fault. Phil did this, and he will do it again to try to stop us if he has to." He looks around to the rest of the new members and continues "Welcome to the party, this was REAL, not a halucination, not a dream. If the Cyclopse would have hit any of us we would be the ones laying there. This is the job, this is what you have signed up for, and this won't be the last of it, not by a long shot." as his cold honest eyes empatheticly go from team member to team member he stops on Loosa "So what are your thoughts on this? Clearly you have some experience with this type of mysticism, any idea of how Phil may have known we were here or how he transformed those boy's?"

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:09 am
by DetectiveSocks
"I don't believe any of us here were ready to murder two young boys, however you like to put it." Alyssa may not be on the same page as what these folks wake up every morning for, but she was in it for the bigger picture like everyone else. The shock and those dark thoughts Alyssa yields to make her knees buckle as she gets up, "Anyone spare a shovel for an occasion?" Alyssa's voice trembles.

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:38 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

"Alyssa is right we need a shovel or something"

I look around warily as if expecting Phil to leap out of a bush or whatever, almost relishing the thought.

"If we bury the bodies, we had better bury them deep, Because someone is sure as hell gonna come looking for them"

I glance over at the white faced Norman, "Exciting enough for you yet?"

I realise how hard that sounded, hell it wasn't his fault "Sorry". Trying to light a cigarette with blood covered hands that keep shaking, I keep seeing Phil's face,
Warren thinking:   Bastard, yours is coming, fast.  

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:20 pm
by Papa Gateau
Aunt Loosa gathers herself and walks away from the two young corpses.

After a couple of moments she turns and faces the rest of the group.

These two children have family. They need to know what has happened to their children, to their brothers. They will need to bury them and to grieve.

Do you become so quickly the monsters that you pursue!
she turns to Eddie

You're a policeman, do the laws and oaths you swore mean so little. You should report this.....crime scene. It may not be necessary to tell the whole truth, for few would believe it but at the very least you need to report it, in whichever way is necessary.

You could say we became lost en route to the seaside, which is the truth and came upon the scene of a brutal, senseless murder and are doing our civic duty in reporting it. Your words as a police officer will carry more weight.

We cannot just bury these poor boys and leave their families to worry.

She turns to Richard Yes, I do have some experience with mysticism. I can't answer how Phil knew our whereabouts but given some time I might make an educated guess. The transformation of the boys was an illusion, the creatures weren't real but you all believed they were. I recognised this and was trying to break the illusion but alas my efforts were achieved too late. there is a long pause Whoever's knife that is, take it and clean it or throw it in the sea, it's a direct link. she then turns back to Alyssa

Make yourself useful and photograph the boys and the area, we may need it as evidence.

Once you are done I would like to examine the boys before we leave.

Ben,I want to search the boys for anything that would allow them to be used in this manner/focus for spell casting - a mark, a tattoo, a scar/brand, they both wear the same pendant anything like that. Spot hidden and/or Occult rolls below: Spot Hidden[75]:[dice]0[/dice] Occult[90]:[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:56 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott stares on blankly.

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:17 pm
by BenTheRat
Aunt Loosa,While you are use to people needing a focus, you have read people can do it if they have line of sight. However, when you were trying to break the spell, either the person casting the spell was extremely weak (IE. Low Power) or was far away. You did not find anything you recognized to be a focus on the boys.
Richard,you may make another spot hidden check. And ohhh, that blood.... the sight of it makes you want to taste it, you can't help but lick your lips. Make your Clinical Vampirism check.
Warren,make a spot hidden check.
Scott,you come out of your stunned state.
Charles continues to hang out in the car, "I don't want to go look, I don't want anything to do with this."

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:12 pm
by DrVendetta
Ben,Ok reviewing the details of my CV it says I have to make a "Know" test. I am not sure what number to use for the "Know" test but here is the roll [dice]0[/dice] if I have to drink blood I would assume I would take a swig from the flask that is still in my left hand I believe, if I have to take it from the blood on the boy's go ahead and play that out for me so I know how to play it in the future. If I take a swig from my flask I may try to place some of the boy's blood into it to refill it (did u ever get my pm on the flask?) and here is the other spot check 49% chance roll = [dice]1[/dice] this looks like a failure even if I get the bonus from drinking the blood

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:18 pm
by BenTheRat
Richard,if you look at your character sheet, its below Idea and Luck. Yours is 75% so you passed. Basically you know this is a bad idea, but you can't stop yourself. If you pass you know, this is bad. If you fail, you convince yourself of some other story that lets you do it anyway, but later when you think about it, you usually regret it. Similar to a young boy stealing something. Or doing something else they "know" is wrong, but do it anyway.

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:54 pm
by Papa Gateau
Aunt Loosa
OOC:   Sorry - here's that San check you needed - I missed it earlier:
San[75]: [dice]0[/dice]

Edit - which I failed so 1d3 san loss [dice]1[/dice]  

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:22 pm
by Silver Priest
"It's alright." Norman does not sound offended. After what he had just witnessed, it was hard to begrudge Warren his reaction.

He turns to Aunt Loosa. "With all due respect Madame, we are outsiders in Rockport. Depending on how insular the community is, even the word of a police officer may be looked at with some suspicion. I'm not certain returning them is the best idea." Suddenly a thought occurs to him, and his face regains some color.

"Though this Phil is not from the area either, correct? Perhaps we can use that to our uh, advantage. If we can find the boy's parents, we might be able to convince them that one of the boys described Phil as their attacker before expiring. If it spreads to the entire town that he is a murderer, It might help us to track him down, yes?"

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:29 am
by DrVendetta
Richard looks sadly at the boys bodies, deeply regreting his actions in this but silently swearing that Phil will never again get the oppurtunity to harm others, then turns back to the rest of the group and says "I agree with Loosa we owe it to these two innocent youn men and there families to ensure they get a proper burial and there families get the ability of closeur for this. I also agree with Norman because Phil was ultimatley responsible for this and making the community aware of Phil will just help keep the community safer even if it does not lead us to him any sooner the community will be aware and supscious of him if he approaches anyone. The question now is what story do we tell the town and their parents that will be believed and not get us incarcerated?"

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie lowers his head in shame. "We're going to need to get our story straight before we say anything to anyone," he says. "There are two bullets in one of those boys from two different guns, one of them mine. Any story we tell about one guy doing this is going to fall apart. Now, we could claim that Phil was one of them, and that he was the one chiefly responsible, which is actually true. Even so, those bullets could still be tied back to our guns. What do we do then? Or we could tell the truth. Then I'd have to arrest several of us, myself included. But I guess we might be able to get declared insane and avoid prison."

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:16 am
by DrVendetta
OCC,just a point of reference but here is the history of balistic forensics in the United Staetes [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Goddard_(ballistics)[/url]

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:29 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I look down at the handle of my knife sticking from the chest of the boy, Loosa has a point. I reach down and pull the knife from the corpse, it comes free after a moments resistance.
Warren thinking:   Hmm, must have gone deeper that I thought  
For a moment the dead boys image blurs and is replaced by a shimmering figure dressed in a German military uniform. I shake my head clear of the madness and turn to the others still involved in the debate of what to do with the bodies.
"I've been a journalist long enough to guess how this will pan out if we do the 'right; thing. At the best the cops will lock us up as possible suspects, at worst the community, led by the grieving parents, will string us up without trial"

Once again I stare at the knife,
Warren thinking:   What did she mean 'link', link to what?  
I turn towards the old lady, "You wanna go tell the parents what happened here. Fine, but I'll be on my way. At the moment, if this was Phil's work..." I point at the corpses, "...then I guess he's one touchdown up. Involve the cops and the locals and this game is over"
Spot Hidden,65% 1d100 → [100] = (100) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4600063/ Not only did I not see it, but I don't think I would have seen it if someone picked it up and waved it while doing a tap dance 8-) .

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:48 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott avoids looking directly at the grisly corpses at his feet and nods solemnly at Warren's words.

"Warren's right." he agrees, "We don't even know who these boys are. How are we supposed to find their families? Carry their bodies into the town square and ask? Two bullet holes and a knife wound and these folks are going to what? Believe some concocted story about a guy named Phil that no one round here has ever seen? A bunch of strangers?"

He crosses his arms and levels his gaze at the old woman.

"I vote we hide the bodies." he frowns. "When we find Phil we can bring him to justice and then tell the families. Until then all we have a shaky alibi and an even crazier account of the truth."

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:11 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I smile at Scott,, weel the nearest thing to a smile that I can muster.
Warren thinking:   At least one of them is thinking straight, this is what happens when you bring a preacher and a crusader to the party,  
I look at the others, even the pale faced Charles who seems determined to stay as far away from all this as possible, as if by maintaining his distance he disassociates himself from any guilt.

"Look let me say this" I gesture at the bodies, noting the way that Scott keeps his eyes firmly averted from the carnage, "This is bad, real bad, but think on this." I turn my gaze to Richard, "You were there in the cellar, and helped drag me out, At the hospital, did you try and explain to the hospital authorities that I had been stabbed by a possesed, self wielding knife, that just sprang from the floor and stuck itself in my chest? A ghost knife driven by a curse or something"

I look around for a place to hide my knife,
Warrenn thinking:   What the hell did she mean 'link'? Link to the crime, or link to Phil through some kind of magickry?  
"No, I guess you didn't. If you had we wouldn't be here now, would we? Probably be banging our heads on some padded wall somewhere, and old man Corbitt, if you could call him a man, would still be strutting around Boston drinking the blood of children."

I shake my head,
Warren thinking:   On on the other hand the others would still be alive  
"And that's what will happen if we try and explain this" [/color]Again I gesture at the bodies, noting some flinching amongst the group, "And I sure dont fancy a long rest in one of the states assylums"

I step back towards the cars, "So, has anyone got a spade?"

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:30 pm
by BenTheRat
Silence falls over everyone, the group seems split on what to do, some want to lie to the authorities the other want to just hide the evidence and run. Some stay out of the discussion completely realizing the negatives of both sides.
A siren can be heard in the distance and it sounds to be coming your way from the direction you came from.
The boys still laying lifeless on the dirt road, blood pooling around them to look like tentacles in the dirt. A crow caws from the trees above.

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:15 pm
by DrVendetta
"Well it looks like those sirens have made our descision for us. We had better come up with a story and fast" Richard walks over and picks up the shell casings from the ground that his gun spit out while firing and looks around for any other evidence that may be laying about.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"We found them like this when we got lost on our way from Boston to Rockport," says Eddie quickly as he removes the used shell casing from his revolver and sticks it in his shirt pocket, then puts a spare bullet in the empty chamber and holsters his revolver. "We stopped and tried to help them, but it was too late. One of the boys, as he was dying, described one of the men who attacked them. One of you who knows what this Phil bastard actually looks like can pass on the description. Wouldn't surprise me if he called the cops on us. We can't leave now. Innocent people stay and meet the authorities. Guilty people flee. Maybe they'll have some respect and trust for me, seeing as I'm a fellow lawman."

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:22 am
by DrVendetta
Richard nods his head as he loads bullets into the clip of his gun to replace the ones he shot. "Anyone else have any better ideas?"

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:40 am
by Silver Priest
Looking longingly back at the car, Norman sighs. "I believe Off...Eddie has it right. If we leave now we'll be natural suspects to these murders when we arrive in Rockport, and no doubt the police will come calling sooner or later. Facing the authorities now strikes me as the best of our rather awful options.

"But we'll need a reason for why we're all visiting this town. We're a rather uh, diverse group. "

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:53 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine:
I look around huriedly hoping to spot somewhere to hide the knife, the wail of sirens spurring me on, "Jesus Christ! Leave the description to me I know the bastard real well"
My mind conjures up an image of his and his supercillious smile, "Try and keep the story together, and make sure that someone keeps an eye on Charles over there. In case he suddenly gets an attack of guilt and decides confession is good for the soul"

I turn to Loosa, the sirens getting closer by the minute, "What exactly did you mean - Link?"

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:13 pm
by BenTheRat
The single police car comes into view around the bend. It pulls up to the end of the paved road and stops where the dirt road begins. You see a single policeman get out of the car and starts walking the 100 to 150 feet towards you.
ooc,everyone can make a spot hidden check.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:52 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott watches as the police officer walks towards them. He nervously wonders how the group appears to the approaching lawman. Do they wear masks of fear? Of guilt?

'...this is a mistake, this is a mistake, this is a mistake...'
Spoiler:
SPOT HIDDEN - 45% - 1d100 → [65] = (65) Failed

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:12 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:
Warren thinking:   You just know this aint gonna end well  
Spot Hidden,65% 1d100 → [85] = (85) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4603533/ Failed.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:51 pm
by Silver Priest
Nervously adjusting his glasses, Norman remains silent. He's not the best one at explaining things at the best of times, and this was a considerably worse situation.
Spot Hidden,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4603743/]Spot Hidden(45%) (1d100=37)[/url]

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"We should have taken the train," mutters Eddie as he notices something.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:07 am
by BenTheRat
Norman and Eddie,you notice the police car says Gloucester City Police.
As the young man is walking towards you, he clearly has not seen the 2 bodies behind your group and the cars. He stops about 10 yards away "Good morning, I got a call for some gun fire out in these parts. Did you hear anything?" He pauses for a second taking in the odd assemblage of characters in front of him, "You weren't shooting out here were you?"

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:11 am
by DrVendetta
Richard mutters quietly to Loosa "Hey Loosa is this cop real or an illusion he got here REAL fast?"
Spot Check,49% chance roll = [dice]0[/dice] a succsess

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not us, Officer," says Eddie, "but we did hear it as we were driving up. You sure got here quickly. Are we that close to Gloucester City? We must be more lost than we thought."

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:16 am
by BenTheRat
Richard,you see his car says Gloucester City Police
The officer looks at you, "Well you're actually in Rockport, you left Gloucester back at the paved road there. I just happened to be at our station up the road when the call came in. So would you say the shots came from Rockport or in Gloucester?"
OOC,everyone can make a psychology roll

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:20 am
by Silver Priest
Psychology,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4604399/]Psychology (05%) (1d100=13)[/url]

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:53 am
by DetectiveSocks
Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"We should have taken the train," mutters Eddie as he notices something.
It's been so long since Alyssa has seen a good idea, she had forgotten what they looked like.
Psychology 75%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4604486/]Success 10%[/url]

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:03 am
by Papa Gateau
Ben,Spot Hidden[75]:[dice]0[/dice] Psychology[75]:[dice]1[/dice] Is there anything out of the ordinary with the cop? Occult[90]:[dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:33 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:
Warren thinking:   How the hell has he not noticed the bodies?  
Psychology 05%,1d100 → [97] = (97) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4604685/ No

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:45 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott stares in thick disbelief as the cop stands conversing idly with Eddie, utterly failing to notice the two corpses that lay just behind the assembled group.

"They were ahead of us, weren't they fellows?" Scott chimes in, "Yeah, I'm sure of it. Must've come from Rockport."

He smiles easily at the lawman, hoping his lie will convince him that the shots lay outside his jurisdiction and aren't his problem.
Spoiler:
Psych Roll - 25% - 1d100 → [2] = (2) Success

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:52 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC,ok, I'll see if I can answer some of your questions. Between when the 1st shots went off, you guys got over the shock of shooting 2 boys, about 5 attempts of first aid, finally giving up, then going through the arguing of trying to decide what to do, it was close to 15 mins. Easily enough time for someone to call the police and have them take the 5 min drive where they thought they heard the shots. But the main reason was because you guys were bogged down and couldn't come to a decision so I thought I'd force the issue. As for not seeing the bodies, he is still 30 feet from, you, there are 7 people and 2 cars between him and the bodies. I had him make a spot hidden roll and he fumbled. hey it happens to the best of us also. But that doesn't mean I won't give him another chance to see them right now.
Scott,make a persuade roll.
Scott and Alyssa,you can tell this guy wants nothing to do with anything going on in Rockport.
Aunt Loosa,you see that his car says Gloucester City Police, there is nothing occult about him.
The policeman pulls out a notepad and pencil, "I'll have to get your names and what you're doing out here to pass onto sheriff Powell. I'm sure he'll want to talk to you. You don't look like you're from Rockport. You part of that Art convention going on?"

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:00 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:
I shuffle my feet a little uneasilly.
Warren thinking:   If we keep stalling he's gonna spot the bodies and put two and two together and make three  

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie knows the minds of fellow cops very well.
OOC,I don't want to respond until I know what I've learned from my roll.

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:51 am
by DrVendetta
Richard looks over to Loosa waiting on a response for his question about the cop being an illusion but he gets a strong premention that it is not.

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:17 am
by BenTheRat
Eddie,you can tell he doesn't want anything to do with Rockport, or their police force.

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"It sounded like it was coming from Rockport to me too," says Eddie. "Yeah, that art convention sure sounds swell. I'm no artist myself, but I can appreciate fine art."

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:44 pm
by jbibblesworth
Spoiler:
Persuade Roll - 20% - 1d100 → [13] = (13) Success
"Yes officer, definitely came from that general direction." Scott states, gesturing vaguely towards Rockport. "Is Rockport typically a wild kind of town? My agent assured me it was a cosmopolitan town, perfect place to showcase my most recent works. Guess this motley crew of Bohemians couldn't fool you, eh? Scott Bowen, artiste." he puts particular emphasis on the 'e'. "I'm a painter by trade. I dabbled in the Dada movement but have matured to surrealism. Are you familiar with Limbour? Masson? Dali? No? Well surely you've heard of Breton!"

He cradles his elbow in one hand while he free hand wags wildly as he speaks in his rapid, stream-of-consciousness style that seems to roll out over the group in waves.

"It's really quite a revolutionary movement officer! The most fascinating thing to come out of France since Cubism really! See the surrealist attempts to juxtapose the visceral, almost sensory imagery of the dream state with the content of the everyday world. It's symbolism really, a thin metaphor to represent the tension inherent in the mankind's loyalty to both science and spirituality."

"Oh it's so fortuitous that we ran across you when we did! I'll confess that this rather rustic[/b] environment was playing havoc with my nerves! It's just so good to have to someone to talk to. These rubes aren't exactly sterling conversationalists."

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:25 pm
by BenTheRat
You can tell the police officer quickly lost interest in Scott's rambling and closed his notebook. "Well I think I got everything I need here. You take care, I'll tell the Sheriff about you hearing the shots. Good day."

He turns around and heads back to his police car. If he saw the bodies he didn't seem to let on at all. He turned the car around and headed away from you.

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:36 pm
by Silver Priest
"We should hide the bodies, or at least move them," Norman points out, letting out a breath he had not known he'd been holding.. "If they're discovered here, they can easily be connected back to us. And if this Phil is observing us, I do not doubt he'd alert the police at the first opportunity."

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah," says Eddie. "Especially now that we've been seen here by a cop who now knows one of our names. If the bodies are found here, we'll be the first suspects. I still don't know how he missed them. And we'd better hurry before there's any more traffic."

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:18 am
by DrVendetta
Richard looks around for a good place to hide the bodies, prefferable some place respectful.

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:58 am
by BenTheRat
Just off the roads are woods on both sides. The dirt road continues on and turns a corner up ahead.

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:39 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

"Phew!!" I go to wipe my sweat soaked brow with the back of my hand, see the blood stains and change my mind.

I watch the cop disapear up the road, "Hmm, I'm not liking this one bit" I nod to Eddie, "Wondering the same thing myself. Maybe he did see the bodies and decided the odds where stacked against him, better to drive away and call in support"

I return the knife to its scabard after all if it links us to Phil it can also link Phil to us, if he can use it to find us then we can use it to find him.

"We had better get rid of the bodies and get out of her fast before he can return with his friends" I turn to Scott, "Feeling pleased with your story fella? Couldn't think of a false name, just had to give him your real one. Hell you may as well have given him your address"

I pick my hat up from the ground and put it on while finding a cigarette...

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:41 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott issues a derisive snort at Warren's comments as he lifts the nearest body from the ground.

"Well I couldn't exactly leave it to you, could I? Standing there slack-jawed and as useless as tits on a nun." He cradles the limp body in both arms and heads back towards one of the cars, trying to ignore the disconcerting way the boy's head lolls back and forth with the rhythm of his gait. "Besides, what was the plan if he asked me for my identification?"

He glances at Eddie, the dead youth draped in his arms.

"Where do we put him?"

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:55 pm
by BenTheRat
Warren,make an idea roll for me.
Eddie,make an idea roll for me.

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:14 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:
Idea Roll 75%,1d100 → [72] = (72) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4608083/ Phew!! Just.

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:22 pm
by BenTheRat
Warren,you can semi-believe that the cop didn't see the bodies, but how the hell did he miss the blood all over most of you. You guys were doing serious first aid to that boy with with the knife wound. As you look around at some of your fellow detectives, you guys look like you were swimming in blood. There is no way he missed it.

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:37 pm
by Papa Gateau
Aunt Loosa's face has a look of thunder about it.

She turns to Alyssa Come dear, leave the men folk to tidy up this mess. We'll meet them later in Rockport

She turns and gives the scene and men a withering glare, before walking firmly towards the sidecar combo.

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:19 am
by DrVendetta
Richard watch's as Loosa walks away without ever answering him. At first he was starting to warm up to her but after repeatedly being ignored by her he is starting to doubt his original judgement of her character. He then walks over and delicaletly lifts up the other boy's body and starts walking in the direction of of Scott.

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think I'd have seen it in his face if he had," Eddie tells Warren, deep in thought.

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:56 am
by BenTheRat
Eddie,while its possible he didn't see the bodies, you realize all of you look like you've been working in a butcher shop. There is blood all over your hands and clothes.

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"We are still covered in blood," says Eddie, looking down at his clothes. "I wonder how he missed that? We'll need to clean ourselves off before anyone else sees us."

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:50 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I drag a lungful of cigarette smoke feeling its calming effect. "Yeah" I agree, holding up my blood soaked hand and seeing how blood had slattered the front of my jacket, "Christ I look like a butcher".
I watch as Richard picks up the second body, "First we had better get rid of those, and quick before he comes back"

A little trick I learned in France was to stop thinking of the dead as people, made living with them easier. I hope it works here.

"Best we bury them deep in the woods. Oh and don't put them in the cars..." I shrug, "Bloodstains"

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:12 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard follows the others into the woods with the boy's body.

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:30 pm
by Mr. Handy

Eddie walks into the woods with the others. "He didn't even react to the blood," says Eddie. "You'd have thought he'd have asked where it came from. If he had, then we could have shown him the bodies and told him we had found them and tried to help, but it's too late for that now. I just wish I'd have realized we were drenched in the stuff at the time."

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:48 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

As I walk behind the others I keep looking back, there is something wrong here and I don't like it,
"Keep your eyes open guys, this is beginning to look like another set up to me"

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:34 pm
by Silver Priest
Norman follows the others, hoping to get the grizzly task done quickly.

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:26 am
by DetectiveSocks
Watching the men carry the boys away to the woods, Alyssa says to herself, "I'm sure they must've been the sweetest little boys God blew breath into." Alyssa made her way back to the motorcycle for the spare bottle of water to wash off her hands and guilt.

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:55 pm
by BenTheRat
You find a nice shaded area to rest the boys in. Without a proper spade, the best you can manage is a shallow grave. You are able to cover up most of the blood on the road as it is rather loose dirt. An average passer by would think it automobile fluid more than blood.

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Now we need to clean ourselves off," says Eddie. "Maybe there's a pond or a creek around here or something. Then we should go back to the road and look for any trace of Phil's tracks."

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:27 pm
by BenTheRat
You get back in your cars and drive about 1/2 mile down and you find a small pond. It looks like it would be a great place to fish.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:13 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott steps out of the car, relieved to have their grisly work behind them. Rolling up his sleeves, he approaches the quaint pond and kneels at it's banks. Plunging his bloodied hands into the water, he sighs in relief.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:29 pm
by BenTheRat
As you plunge your hands into the water you don't see any blood in the water. You pull them out and your arms are wet with water, but no sign of the blood is on your hands, arms or clothes. As you look around confused you can see there is no blood on any of you.
ooc all,everyone make a sanity 0/1 check.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:38 pm
by jbibblesworth
Spoiler:
SAN - 49% - 1d100 - [86] = (86) Failed
Scott gasps at he stares at his dripping hands in numb disbelief. A clammy wave of surreal terror snakes it's way down his spine and takes the strength from his hunched legs, causing the troubled medic to fall backwards onto the the shore, where he sits momentarily dumbfounded.

Still sitting, he slowly turns to the others.

"Please tell me you see this too..." he whimpers.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:33 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:
San,50% 1d100 → [47] = (47) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4610832/
I look at Scott and then everyone else. Like me they have no traces of blood on them.
"Maybe this is something to do with Loosa?" Too many weird things have happened today to be phased by this one.

I look around the pool for anything different.
Spot Hidden,65% 1d100 → [3] = (3) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4610834/ Just when I needed it :cry:

"This must have been where the kids were at. If Phil was around here he may have left some sign"

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:53 pm
by BenTheRat
Warren,you see a dead crow not far from where you are at, it is the only thing that looks out of place. You don't see any signs that anyone else has been here for some time.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:18 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I wander over to a dead bird some yards away.
Ben,I take a look anyway.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:39 pm
by BenTheRat
Warren,ok. you are close to a dead bird but not looking at it. From the distance when you saw it, it didn't look mutilated or blood showing or anything else.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:10 pm
by Silver Priest
Norman stares at his arms, which had been bloody from attempting to save the child. Now though, there was no gore present.

He stands dumbfounded, uncertain whether he should feel relieved or terrified. He opts to go with the latter.
San,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4610952/]Sanity (54%) (1d100=57)[/url]

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:31 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie gapes in shock, then starts to laugh, something he thought he'd never do again. "Don't you see?" he says. "The whole thing was an illusion! There never were any children at all! That's why the cop couldn't see the bodies or notice that we were all covered in blood!"

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:41 am
by DrVendetta
Richard, quietly anxious to wash the boys blood from his hands as he knows that he was responsible for the shots that killed them, dips his hands into the water and swishes them around but is amazed to see no blood. He pulls his hands out of the water and stars at them for a moment.
Ben Sanity roll,current snaity = 4 [dice]0[/dice]so this is a success. Do I believe that killing the boy's was an illusion based on my issues with the blood? And by the way you never answered my PM on the flask?

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:23 am
by BenTheRat
Dr. V,You just know you saw all the blood disappear, what you believe is up to you. You saw something not natural, you passed so you suffered no sanity loss. As for the flask, I thought I said, yes you can have that.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:01 am
by DetectiveSocks
The cold soft water had calmed Alyssa's hands, and as she rubbed off the shame and guilt, Alyssa shared the same shock as everyone else. Like as if the blood was only substance that muddy her conscience. Alyssa reasons with herself, "They were as real as we would like them to be. That a wound from their clubs would be just as painful and convincing as we had shot them." By this very logic, Alyssa was afraid to admit this herself.
Sanity 64%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4611438/]Success 25%[/url]

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:17 am
by Papa Gateau
Aunt Loosa takes the blood and hair samples from her bag - not sure what she will find.
Aunt Loosa thinking:   This is most strange, there was definitely an illusion but this appears to be more complex - an illusion on an illusion. Hmm - I need some time to think on this.  
San check,Sanity[74]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:05 pm
by BenTheRat
Aunt Loosa,you open the containers and they are empty. You had never considered the original boys walking up were the real illusion. You had jumped on the obvious of the Cyclops. Usually Illusions are a local spell only affecting people in the area, which explains why the cop wasn't affected, he wasn't there when the spell was cast.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:09 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I ignore the dead bird.
Warren thinking:   Shit this is stating to have me jumping at shadows  
"So the boys, the cyclops', and the blood were just tricks of the mind - illusions"
I pull another cigarette from my pack and watch as the old lady searches within her bag,
"So Loosa, I guess you know about these things. If Phil had caused the illusion how close would he need to have been? Like is their a range on these things like a gun or something?"

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:30 pm
by BenTheRat
ooc,everyone can try an occult roll.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:17 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:
Occult 11%,1d100 → [74] = (74) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4612154/ No

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:05 pm
by Silver Priest
Occult,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4612224/]Occult (15%) (1d100=83)[/url]

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:34 am
by DrVendetta
Richard answers while still staring at his hands "I am curious if we would find any bodies if we went back to where we put them"
Occult roll,19% chance roll = [dice]0[/dice]so a failure on this roll

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"I doubt it," says Eddie, "but I wouldn't waste time checking. I think Phil wanted to mess with us and delay us, and he's succeeded at that. I've no idea how he did it, though."
OOC,The Occult skill is missing from my character sheet, but the base skill level is 5%.

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:12 pm
by Papa Gateau
Occult roll,Occult[90]: [dice]0[/dice] That's a critical I think

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:43 pm
by BenTheRat
Aunt Loosa,You know that an illusion this complex and detailed would definetely need line of sight to accomplish. But when you did the dispel on the 2nd half of the illusion, he did not feel close. You have heard of people being able to use animals as an avatar, to see through them, and even cast through them, but it almost always resulted in the death of the animal.
Charles San,to move things along, target = 47, [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:16 pm
by jbibblesworth
Spoiler:
Occult Roll - 15 - 1d100 - [6] = (6) Success!
"I'm with Eddie." Scott says, "The sooner we get to Rockport and figure this mess out the better. Who knows what other tricks Phil has up his sleeve?"

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:56 pm
by BenTheRat
Scott,you read in some book somewhere, that control a dynamic illusion, requires line of sight.

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:14 pm
by DetectiveSocks
"Well let's not hesitate to leave," Alyssa gets up from the ground and gestures with poise composure towards the vehicle, "Shall we?"

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Before we go into town," says Eddie, "we should look to see if we can find Phil's tracks. I don't know if he had to be nearby to create his illusions - I don't even know how it's possible - but he seems the sort who wants to stick around and watch his nasty handiwork."

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:21 am
by Papa Gateau
Well Mr. Kane, I have been thinking on these illusions.

Firstly it requires some skill to blend two illusions together, to build one on the foundation of the other.

Also, to my knowledge and experience, to control complex illusions such as these, moving illusions with sounds, would require the caster to see us.

However, when I dispelled the cyclops illusion I had no sense that the caster, this Phil to be near by. I think that he was casting through an avatar, a proxy. It is unusual and again displays quite some skill and ability.

I think that the dead crow over there, is more than likely the poor creature that he used for this purpose - they rarely survive the ordeal.

Finally, to answer your question about a link - which it now appears is redundant. I initially meant a link to the crime, however, had this been a true killing, initiated via magic then there could quite possibly have been created a link between Phil and the knife. It is hard to say - blood magic is very powerful and from what I have seen today Phil appears to be quite an accomplished mage. Whether he needs that link or not is hard to say. He managed to find us and cast his spells, even though we were lost. Perhaps he already has a link to one or more of you that have encountered him in the past?

Things to ponder, hmm?

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:00 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I chew my bottom lip in thought at the words of Loosa.
Warren thinking:   Like Sonnys trumpet perhaps?  
I nod my head, "Yeah I saw the dead bird. Seems to have just died"

I take a long drag on my cigarette and look towards Eddie, "Already thought of that. But there is nothing, no sign of anyone, nothing but a dead bird"

I toss the cigarette to the floor and with my heel rub it out, "Best be away before Phil sends us another greetings card". I move towards the car.
Warren thinking:   Sure glad I never got rid of my knife  

I smile a wry smile as I pull the car door open, "Coming?"

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:28 pm
by Silver Priest
Norman listens with rapt attention as Loosa so casually explains the workings of magic as if it is a common topic for her. Despite the gravity of the situation, her words do much to ease the librarian's mental discomfort. Despite the dangers, this was fascinating. Magic and odd creatures and illusions. It was like something out of a fairy tale.

He adjusts his glasses before speaking. "I uh, do believe we should head into town as quickly as possible. Any hope of stealth we may have possessed is now gone. I wonder if this was Phil's idea of a welcome for us."

He heads back towards Eddie's car.

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:15 pm
by BenTheRat
You pile into your 2 cars and motorcycle, and continue down the dirt road. It isn't long it comes up beside a railroad track and then a couple miles up the road it ends in a cross road with a rail station. An old wooden sign with the words 'Rockport Rail Station' hangs on the building.
You see people working around the train yard, and a man is sitting at a window at the station, otherwise the place looks pretty deserted. There is no train at the station. The crossroad goes both the left and the right.

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:06 am
by DrVendetta
Richard pulls over to the closest person and ask "Which way to town?"

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie keeps an alert watch on their surroundings, though he doesn't quite trust his own eyes any more.

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:08 am
by Medri
Charles Feel a strong discomfort at the thought of Loosa's suggestion that birds might have been used. It wakes his fantasy and he thinks about the possibility of birds flying over them and watching their way. It feels a lot worse to have mages over you head then on the steady ground, even if it wouldn't make a difference. To keep the possible panic away he tries to breath slowly and bring himself together so that he can focus on what the group can and will do next in this search for the cause. He seems to calm down a bit and come to senses but with a nagging feeling in his gut.

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:43 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:
As Richard speaks, I look around. Being jumped once in a day is enough.

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:51 pm
by BenTheRat
The railroad worker looks at the strange group assembled before him, "well either way, but if you want Main street, take a right." He goes back to his work.

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie sits behind the wheel of his car, ready to follow Richard.

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:08 am
by DetectiveSocks
Meanwhile, Alyssa snaps a picture at the Rockport Rail Station sign, gathering material that would be her exclusive inside story.
Photography 65%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4616372/]Failure 85%[/url]

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:08 pm
by Medri
Charles seems to have gathered enough breath to be himself again after the short thoughts of panic about the birds. He calmly waits for the others.

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:00 am
by DrVendetta
Richard starts down the road again taking a right to head towards main strret.

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:20 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

As Richard drives I keep a watch outside. Phil is hardly likely to be walking about the main street, but you never know. He always was an arrogant bastard and power makes you more arrogant.

Spot Hidden,65% 1d100 → [20] = (20) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4617693/

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:03 pm
by BenTheRat
You drive down the paved road for a small bit and it runs into a larger road. Warren doesn't see Phil, but he does see some street signs. The road you are on isRailroad, the cross road which is larger has a sign that says Main St and stretches off to the left and right. On the other side of Main a road continues but angles to your left (so if you were going South, it is going SE) with a street sign Broadway.
While Railroad Ave was mainly empty Main street is filled. Mostly with 2 story residential homes. Most look 20-30 years old, but all kept in very good condition. Immediately to your right at the corner of Railroad and Main is a Lumber and Hardware store. That is the only non-residential building you see.

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:41 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I guess we should check out the store," says Eddie. "Seems like a good place to get local information.'

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:06 pm
by Silver Priest
"Indeed," Norman agrees. "I must say, this town seems rather close knit. If Phil's around I'd imagine he'd stand out like a sore thumb. Of course, given the powers at his disposal, perhaps he's found a way to blend in."
He looks out at the lovely homes, still unsure if any of this is real. After what he's already seen, could he ever be sure anything was again?

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:55 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I nod toward the store, "Looks like a good place to start".

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:53 am
by DrVendetta
Richard pulls the car over to park it close to the store. He gets out of the car, and looks around at the town.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:27 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I watch as Richard gets out the car and turn to Scott, "You coming?"
I walk to where Richard is looking over the town, "So, store first?"

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:37 am
by DetectiveSocks
The engine slowly rumbled as Alyssa followed behind to the curb. Climbing out of the motorcycle and lifting off the helmet, Alyssa let's her hair run down, swinging her hair back and forth to shake off the helmet-hair. Alyssa fixed her hair out of her eyes, green eyes, accompanied with a smile, "you enjoy yourself Loosa? I hope my driving was pleasant." Alyssa's voice had returned to her usual pleasant dryness from that haunting experience.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:09 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott nods, steps out of the automobile and approaches the store. Pausing with one hand on the doorhandle, he takes a breath as if to steady himself. One more nod, this one in silent self-assurance, and Scott opens the door to the store and steps inside.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:37 pm
by BenTheRat
The street looks like any other New England coastal town of residential homes. Nothing special at all. School has not started, so you see a few kids running around, and people walking the streets.
The sign on the store says "Smith's Lumber and Hardware" The building is average size and you did notice it has a high 6 foot wooden fence around the back of the building.
As you walk into the building you hear a bell ring as you swing the door inwards, and step in. The inside of the building is lit, and looks abandoned. You see various tools and work equipment spread around the room. A counter with a cash register is at the back of the store.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:03 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I let Scott enter first. The recent events are starting to make me nervous. I put my hand into my coat pocket just to feel the butt of my .45 and draw comfort from it.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:36 pm
by jbibblesworth
Cautiously, Scott steps towards the back counter, his nerve endings alight and a frosty chill running up his spine.
Spoiler:
SPOT HIDDEN ROLL - 45% - 1d100 - [8] = (8) Success
"Hello?" he calls tentatively as he reaches the counter, "Is anyone here?"

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:13 am
by BenTheRat
You notice a back door that is slightly ajar and what looks like a shadow moving around through the crack in the door.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, this is odd," says Eddie. "Why would they leave the store open and unattended?"

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:58 am
by Silver Priest
"It is a small town. Perhaps this is the slow time of the day for him." Norman tries to be reasonable, but his voice carries with it a slight tremor. He looks back out the door, keeping watch on the street.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:56 am
by BenTheRat
As you stand around the back door opens and a young woman comes in. She is a bit over 5 feet tall, and looks strong and a bit stocky. She is wearing jeans and a button up shirt. She has an apron on that says "Smith's Hardware". Her skin is a smooth caramel color and she has short black curly hair. You see wood shavings in her hair and on her clothes.

As she looks up, her bright blue eyes surprise you a bit, and you can see she is startled. "Oh my, customers. So sorry I didn't hear you come in." She brushes some of the sawdust off her apron and walks behind the counter. "How can I help you today?"

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hello, Miss," says Eddie. "We're visitors to Rockport and don't know our way around very well. We understand there's an art convention in town."

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:37 am
by DrVendetta
Richard starts walking around the store listening to the conversation. He picks out a small shovel prefferable a foldable spade that he can place in his satchel, thinking to himself that it would be a nice tool to dig Phil's grave with. He also looks for a detailed map of the local area and a compass.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:17 am
by Papa Gateau
Aunt Loosa steps from the side-car and dusts herself down.

Yes dear, very enjoyable - it's jolly fun having the wind in your hair. I'm not so sure I like the flies in my teeth though! she beams a big grin at Alyssa

Why don't you and I take a quick stroll down Broadway and see if we can find some lodgings? With this art convention in town the local hotel, assuming there is one, may well be booked up - but they should know where else we might find rooms.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:16 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I lean back, one foot raised to rest against the shops doorframe. I pull a cigarette from the pack, noticing that it is the last one and crushing the pack before tossing it away. As I light it I watch Loosa talking to Alyssa. Call me paranoid but I still aint sure about an old lady who turns up outa the blue claiming to be Sonny's aunt and knowing so much about magic.
I take a deep drag and nod to myself,
Warren thinking:   If Phil is so all fired powerful in the illusion department, how do we know that the dear sweet aunt Loosa is not just one more of his illusions  

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:24 pm
by BenTheRat
ooc,all those in the shop may make a spot hidden and psychology roll.
Richard,The only shovel that would fit into your satchel would be a gardening spade. The only shovels she has besides that are full 2 handed shovels, some with a D handle others just straight. You find a compass, you see no maps in the store.
"Visitors, oh that explains things. Yes, I heard there is a art thing going on, not into the artsy stuff myself. It would probably be down by Bearskin Neck." She says.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:30 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott, still a bit rattled from the peculiarity of their trip thus far, lets Eddie take the lead.
Spoiler:
Spot Hidden - 45% - 1d100 → [70] = (70) Failed
Psychology - 25% - 1d100 → [45] = (45) Failed
He is utterly oblivious to the world.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:21 pm
by Silver Priest
Psychology,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4620134/]Psychology (5%) (1d100=75)[/url]
Spot Hidden,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4620135/]Spot Hidden (45%) (1d100=42)[/url]
Glancing around the shop, Norman's gaze centers on something.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:35 pm
by BenTheRat
Norman,you can tell she is really, really surprised to see you or anyone in her store. You notice outside through the open back door, some lumber piled up in the back yard and a small building.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:13 pm
by DetectiveSocks
Alyssa returns the smile, "Girls gotta stick together." Throwing her helmet into the sidecar and swinged her camera bag over her shoulder; Alyssa saunters along Railroad Ave towards the intersection of Main St. Alyssa surveys the busy street, looking for any landmarks other than the two large residential homes, and takes another landscape picture.
Photography 65%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4620279/]Failure 67%[/url]

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:25 am
by DrVendetta
Richard decides on the full size shovel with the 'D' handle, takes it and the compass up to the counter to pay for them "Yea suppose to be some kind of Arts show going on, but hey I heard that there has been some natural arts going on around here with bright lights in the sky at night have you heard anything about this?" Richard ask of the shop keeper with a happy smile on his face.
Ben,spot hidden chance = 49% roll = [dice]0[/dice] psychology chance = 5% roll = [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:38 am
by Medri
Charles walks out of the car and looks around. He takes a look at Alyssa and Aunt Loosa, seeing them stepping of the bike. He then takes a look at the store where the others have gone in, thinking to himself that he should follow them in. He straightens up and walks towards the store.

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:07 pm
by BenTheRat
Richard,you notice through the door to the back, it says employees only. You see lumber and a small shack.
Eddie,you can tell that the girl is really surprised to see you. You notice out the back door a sign that says employees only. In the yard is some lumber stacked up and a small building.
She rings up your items on her register. The shovel she rings up as $1.75 and the compass as $0.25. "That comes to two dollars," she says. "I haven't seen any strange lights around here. Sorry can't help you there. Will there be anything else?"

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:03 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

As Charles walks up to the storefront, I nod towards the pair of women, "You remember Sonny, he ever speak to you of an aunt?"

OOC:   I know that he did, I'm just playing up the paranoia that I'm sure Warren would be suffering from :)  

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:17 pm
by Silver Priest
Richard buying a shovel gives Norman an idea. The librarian had felt powerless during Phil's little magic trick. Maybe he could find something in this store that would provide him with a sense of security. Even if that sense was false.

He looks around for a hammer he could attack with, if it came to that.

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:49 pm
by BenTheRat
Norman,make a spot hidden roll.

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:30 pm
by Silver Priest
Spot Hidden,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4621669/]Spot Hidden (45%) (1d100=48)[/url]

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:05 am
by BenTheRat
Norman,you don't see any hammers. You can continue to look (ie roll again), or ask for help.

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:44 am
by Silver Priest
Not sure he trusts the shop owner, Norman reluctantly asks her for help.

"Do you have any hammers? I may have need for one."

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:43 am
by DrVendetta
Richard looks at Norman with a puzzled look when he says he needs a hammer, then looks out the back door when he is sure that the shop keeper is looking at him and ask "So what are you working on back there?"

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do you have a map of Rockport available?" asks Eddie. "Or failing that, could you please give us some directions?"

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:15 am
by BenTheRat
She looks up from her register, "Hammers are in the 3rd isle, down at the bottom. Sometimes tough to see." She walks over and points where they are at. "Should have what you need." She heads back up to the counter, "No maps. They had some printed a couple years back, but something was wrong with 'em, not sure what. Hard to come by, not that I ever sold them." She holds out her hand for the $2, but either forgot or ignored your other question.

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:02 pm
by Silver Priest
"Oh, thank you." Norman tests a few hammers, finding one he can comfortably grip. He takes it up and pays for it without further ceremony.

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Can you please give us directions to Bearskin Neck, Miss?" asks Eddie.

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:54 am
by DrVendetta
As Richard pays her the two dollars he ask again "So what kind of wood working project do you have going out back there?"

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:05 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:
I flick the cigarette away, watching as it explodes into a shower of orange sparks.
Warren thinking:   so Charles aint answering, I think our last outing shot the guys nerves  
I push the store door open and slip in to a tinkling of bells.
Warren thinking:   What the hell does Richard want with a hammer, is he gonna build something?  

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:10 am
by BenTheRat
She takes the money and puts it in her register, "Oh yea, just go down Main st. When you hit the ocean bear right. Then when you get to the square, its right in front of. Its the little stretch that leads out to the wharfs. And you'll see all the artists there, you can't miss 'em."

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Miss," says Eddie, ready to leave as soon as the others are.

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:44 am
by DrVendetta
Richard continues to look out the back door to see what he can make out.
OOC:   Warren, Richard did not buy the hammer Norman did ;)  

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:54 am
by BenTheRat
Richard,make a spot hidden check
"Sorry, employees only in the lumber yard," she says as she shuts the door.

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:22 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott watches the exchange wordlessly.

'A town with no maps? Something was WRONG with them? That seems odd.' he thinks to himself.

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:50 am
by DrVendetta
Ben,here is the second spot check [dice]0[/dice]so another success

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:36 am
by BenTheRat
Richard,right before she shut the door you see what looks like a lobster trap big enough to catch a person. You also notice the small building has a sign that says 'Danger Explosives'

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:32 pm
by Medri
Charles thinks to himself that he wonders why Warren is asking something like that. Didn't Sonny say something about it? He feels uncomfortably and that something is wrong. He takes a breath and then opens the door to the store to see what's happening inside. He's heard some of the conversation and made out something about maps. Thinking about if he ever DID hear Sonny mention an aunt, thinking he must have done so, he walks into the store to see whats seems to be next on the agenda.

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:06 pm
by DetectiveSocks
Alyssa stood there longer then she realized, staring down Main St then to Broadway and down the other stretch of Main St. The roads set ahead of her seemed equally as far as she could see, yet Alyssa has only known one straight line, and that was terrifying and different to her. Playing with the motorcycle key in her coat pocket, Alyssa invites her arm out for Aunt Loosa, "shall we make our way back Aunt Loosa?" Preserving what's left of her polite fiction, Alyssa smiles welcomingly despite what she had faced earlier.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:21 am
by DrVendetta
Richard smiles as the lady shuts the door to the back and responds "Well I appreciate your time you have a plesant day" and turns and walks out of the store.

After walking out of the store Richard places the shovel in the car then Richard walks to the street corner that the hardware store sits on and looks down the street towards the back of the hardware store. Checking out the make up of the fence and how far back it goes. He also checks out what is behind the property that the hardware store sits on (farmland, another store, a house, a forest, a hill?) and any buildings that are close that are tall enough to see over the fence.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:38 am
by BenTheRat
Behind the lumber store is the 6' fence. With a boost or standing on anything you could see over it pretty easily. Behind the fence is vacant land.
On the South side of the store is a residential home, 2 story. You could easily see over the fence from a 2nd story window or the roof.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:05 am
by DrVendetta
Richard walks over to the car again and stands next to the drivers door waiting on the others to come out.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie leaves the store with the others. "Definitely something hinky going on there," he says. "She seemed very surprised to see us, and that thing with the maps sounds ridiculous. I'm also wondering if there's something going on in that lumber yard."

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:42 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

Leaving the store, I walk over to where Richard stands by the car, "So how do you want to play this?"

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:19 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Trying to move things along, you guys seem to be a bit stuck. If you feel you need some assistance, make an Idea check. If not, let me know your intentions. If you are going to stay in the store and talk to the lady there, continue on this thread. If you want to look or mess around with the back yard, we can start a new thread. If you want to hop in your cars and drive somewhere else, I'll start a new thread for that also. If you are splitting up, let me know and I can create different threads for each group.  

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:55 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott follows Richard and Warren out of the store and rubs his chin thoughtfully looking between the two men.

"Well that was bizarre." he mutters, hitching a thumb over his shoulder towards the store. "I vote we make our way down towards the pier that was in the postcard. Seems as good a place to start as any."

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:54 pm
by Medri
Charles realizes that the others are about to leave again. Feeling like he's not clear on what's about to happen next he walks after the others against the car.

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:06 am
by DetectiveSocks
Alyssa arrives back to the parked vehicles, "happen to find direction?" Alyssa inquires.

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:38 am
by DrVendetta
Richard responds to Warren "I am not sure what is going on here, that women was making a lobster trap big enough to hold a large man in the back, she also had a shed marked explosives back there but they may be normal for a hardware store out here in the sticks like this. I say we go check into the Woods House and see if we can find any normal people hanging around maybe they will be a little more informative."

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"I got directions to the art convention," says Eddie, "but I was told there are no maps of Rockport. Strange, that. Explosives could be normal. People use them to blow up stumps all the time. Yeah, let's check in first."

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:38 am
by Silver Priest
Finding a hammer he can grip comfortably, Norman pays for it and leaves the shop. Hopefully it won't come to him having to use it, but he desires at least a little protection.

"I have to agree. I found the woman a tad odd. She was nice enough, I suppose. But she seemed very surprised to have business. Perhaps it was just because we are outsiders."

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:28 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

"Well things got wierd earlier so does any one axpect anything else?"
I look back to the store to see if anyone is watching us.
"I'm with Richard, lets go and see if we can get rooms then maybe I'll come back here later for a mooch around"

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:01 am
by BenTheRat
OOC:   I will leave this open in case someone wants to do something, otherwise go to this thread here.
viewtopic.php?f=308&t=5220
FYI, you don't have to give me direct directions to a place, just say, I'm going back to the Hardware store, that is fine.