IC: Ch 2. Welcome to Rockport

August 1921, Boston.
A dead guard at the abandoned chapel, a stolen statue revealing strange numbers and a burnt postcard. A strange night sighting by a Harvard professor only 2 days later has led to too many coincidences to ignore.
Dr. Chambers is forming another MAPS team, and you have been called.

Moderator: BenTheRat

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

IC: Ch 2. Welcome to Rockport

Post by BenTheRat »

Date: August 12, 1921, 8:00 AM

Norman,Here is what you found from a couple hours research on Rockport, MA. Before the coming of the English explorers and colonists, Cape Ann was home to a number of Native American villages, inhabited by members of the Agawam tribe. Samuel de Champlain named the peninsula "Cap Aux Isles" in 1605, and his expedition may have landed there briefly. By the time the first Europeans founded a permanent settlement at Gloucester in 1623, most of the Agawams had been killed by diseases caught from early contacts with Europeans. The area that is now Rockport was simply an uninhabited part of Gloucester for more than 100 years, and was primarily used as a source of timber—especially pine-for shipbuilding. The area around Cape Ann was also one of the best fishing grounds in New England. In 1743, a dock was built at Rockport harbor on Sandy Bay and was used for both timber and fishing. By the beginning of the 19th century, the first granite quarries were developed, and by the 1830s, Rockport granite was being shipped to cities and towns throughout the East Coast of the United States. Rockport had consisted primarily of large estates, summer homes, and a small fishing village while Gloucester was becoming increasingly urbanized. Rockport was set off as a separate town in 1840 as its residents desired a separate enclave with an identity of its own, and was incorporated in 1840.  As the demand for its high-grade granite grew during the Industrial Revolution, the quarries of Rockport became a major source of the stone. In 1856, a gang of 200 women led by Hannah Jumper swept through the town and destroyed anything containing alcohol in what is called "Rockport's revolt against rum" and banned alcohol from the town.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Re: IC: Ch 2. Welcome to Rockport

Post by BenTheRat »

At 5 am everyone meets at the museum. Norman looks pretty tired. Ms. Patton had laid out some pastries, coffee and tea.
For those new to the group she hands each of you a small satchel. The letters M.A.P.S. are stamped into the soft leather. She also hands all of you $20.
If you look in the satchel, each bag has a flashlight, pocket knife, some rope, box of matches, a notepad, pen, small first aid kit and a set of 20 business cards with your name, the initials M.A.P.S., a fancy seal and a phone number you don't recognize, but it is a Boston city area number.
She also lays out a map of Rockport:

map

Ms. Patton hands Richard and Scott each a box of .45 ammo with 50 rounds. "That should be more than enough for the 2 of you. I have booked 4 rooms for you at the Woods House on South Street. I've also marked where the Library is and the train depot." she continues, "Is there anything else I can get you before you head out? And do be careful." The words 'this time' being left off but hanging there unsaid.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by jbibblesworth »

Scott carefully transfers the contents of the MAPs bag to his medical satchel, preferring to minimize the amount of luggage he has to tote around. He nods his appreciation to Ms. Patton and looks to Warren.

"Less time we spend on idle chatter the better." he states flatly, "Whoever did this has a helluva head start on us. Best not to waste time. I'm ready when you are."
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Having been up most of the night, Norman is mostly yawns until everyone arrives. He gratefully takes a coffee, thanking Ms. Patton.

"I was able to find some information on Rockport, though I'm uncertain if any of it is particularly relevant. It was originally a part of the Gloucester settlement, an area used primarily for lumber, especially for shipbuilding. A dock was built at Rockford Harbor in 1743 I believe, right on Sandy Bay. By the 1830's Rockford granite was being shipped to places all around the East Coast. It became a separate town from Gloucester in 1840.
In 1856, a Ms. Hannah Jumper led a temperance revolt throughout town, destroying any alcohol she or her mob could get their hands on. They banned it from the town. Some things never change, I suppose
."

"All in all, seems like a rather traditional place. I'm looking forward to visiting it. Should be quite the adventure!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thanks," says Eddie, accepting the satchel gratefully and inspecting its contents. "Well, let's hit the road."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 6 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

With all the new items removed into her camera bag, Alyssa helps herself to the coffee, "All set Aunt Loose?"
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   Right now I have Eddie driving his Model T which can hold 4 more, and Alysa driving with Aunt Loosa in the side car. So either some of you need to take the train or I need another driver. I have Norman riding in with Eddie, but no one else has stated who they are riding with.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by DrVendetta »

occ,[b]Richard[/b] will vollunteer to drive if he has an auto at his disposal
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Ms. Patton checks a 1918 Oldsmobile out to Richard.
OOC:   You now have enough seats, who is riding with whom? Then all 3 drivers please make 1 drive Auto roll.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by jbibblesworth »

Spoiler:
ooc - Scott mentioned in the Lounge thread his intention to ride with Warren.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

Picking up a steaming cup of coffee, I look at Scott, "Might be best if we ride with Richard, keep cars to a minimum"
I'm not sure if my old jalopy has the stamina to go racing around the state, it's seen better days.

I blow steam from the cup, take a sip and almost curse aloud as the hot liquid catches my mouth, "Best we fix a place to meet up in Rockport...In case one or more of us gets delayed"
I'm thinking of a rather rickety looking motorcycle combination that was parked out side.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 6 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

"We can meet up at Woods House on South St. and check in, settle down for a little while then pay a visit to the local library?" Alyssa answers Warren's question.
Drive Auto 20%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4589900/]Failure 60%[/url]
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard places the bullets in his satchell and heads for the door. "Ok whoever is in with me lets go. We will see you all at the Woods House. Warren would you grab the map?"
Ben,Drive chance = 26% [dice]0[/dice]
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Sounds good to me," says Eddie. Once everyone who is riding with him is on board, he sets out, but it's slow going.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

I pick up one of the maps, nod at Scott and follow Richard outside to the car.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Aunt Loosa follows Alyssa out to her combo

I think this is rather exciting - a ride in a motor-cycle! Come on dear - let's not be tardy, can't have the men-folk getting there first eh? she shoots Alyssa with her beaming smile and an exaggerated wink.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by jbibblesworth »

Scott follows Warren and Richard towards the car, the leaden weight of the pistol concealed in his satchel at the forefront of his thoughts.

'Here's hoping this doesn't come in handy.' he silently wished.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Alyssa gets on her motorcycle while Aunt Loosa climbs into the side car.
Richard takes the convertable Olds with Warren and Scott.
While Eddie drives his model T with Charles and Norman.
You set off and quickly escape the noise of the city and are in the Massachusetts country side. The Autumn air is cool while you drive and the winding roads can seem to lull you to sleep, you passed the city of Salem some 40 minutes back but you haven't seen anyone on the road in 20 minutes except for the 3 of you. The road turned from the newly paved concrete road to rocks and now to dirt.
Somewhere you made a wrong turn. At least you are all lost together. It must have been that decision to get off the main road to drive down on the coast line, but you haven't seen a coast line yet and you aren't sure you ever will. Most of you know what the ocean smells like with the salt spray in the air, but there is none of that here. Nothing but woods and a dirt road.
OOC:   All of you may make a Navigation roll, or luck roll your choice. Everyone also make a Spot Hidden roll.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by jbibblesworth »

Scott steps out of the automobile and quizzically inspects their surroundings for a moment before turning back to face the convoy of cars.

"Where could we have taken a wrong turn?" he ponders aloud.
Spoiler:
Luck Roll - Target 80 - 1d100 → [23] = (23) Success
Spot Hidden - Target 45 - 1d100 → [5] = (5)
Last edited by jbibblesworth on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

OOC:   Rolls,
Luck[75][dice]0[/dice]
Spot hidden[75][dice]1[/dice]  
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale

Return to “A Star on the Shore”