Page 1 of 1

IC: Ch1. The Lounge

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:59 pm
by BenTheRat
Date: August 11, 1921, 7:00 PM

As Ms. Patton leads you through her office, you notice it is clean with no boxes in sight, unlike your last visit. The hall is clean as well. There is still the door that says office, but at the end of the hall the curtain is replaced by a door, that is dead bolted shut, it looks fairly new.
She motions for you to enter the lounge.
The plush lounge seems out of place in this museum basement. There is food laid out, various meat, vegetables and fruits. As well as any liquor you can think of.
"Please help yourself, there are of course cigars in the humidor, and if you would prefer tea or coffee just let me know. Oh I think I hear someone else at the door." Ms. Patton turns and walks away.
As you glance around the room you see the familiar paintings hanging on the walls including several new ones. Harrison, Sonny, Michael and of course Jordie. All of them just have the date 1921 on them.

Re: IC: Ch1. The Lounge

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:32 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

As I walk through the familiar setting of M.A.P.S. I look around at the changes in decor and furnishings. I tip my battered fedora to the back of my head and let out a low whistle.
"I like what you've done to the place Mrs Pa..."

I never finish that sentence as my eyes alight on the pictures of dead comrades, Sonny, Mike and Harrison next to...

I pull up a chair and sit, my back to the pictures especially the one of a smiling female. My scar starts to throb...

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:17 pm
by jbibblesworth
Warren's pain at the sight of Jordie's likeness is all too evident, but Scott decides not to address it. He scratches uncomfortably at his chin and strolls idly around the room, inspecting each picture with a mixture of regret and detachment.

"Wonder where the old man gets these done?" he muses aloud. He leans in and inspects Harrison's portrait closely. "They're remarkable."

The blatant denial does little to calm his rising worry. How long before his image takes it's inevitable place upon the wall?

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:16 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

When the scar starts throbbing its usualy a sign of either bad weather, or lack of booze. Doing my best to ignore the way Scott is peering at the picture of Harrison I wander over to the drinks tray and retrieve a couple of glasses and a bottle of Southern Comfort. I probably should eat something but somehow food is not on my list of priorities right now.

I rattle the glasses at Scott, "Drink? It helps"

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:35 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott feels a wave of relief wash over him at Warren's proposed distraction. Even his moderate distaste for liquor fails to overcome his discomfort at the silent stares of the memorial portraits.

"May as well." he sighs as he takes his place at Kaine's side, "I suppose cirrhosis of the liver is the least of our worries at this point."

He takes the tumbler from Warren and raises the glass towards the light for a moment, peering through the swirling amber liquid thoughtfully. He holds his glass towards his compatriot.

"To the others." he toasts somberly.

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:45 am
by DrVendetta
"Greetings gentleman" says Richard as he walks into the Lounge.
Richard removes his hat and coat and walks over to the bar and starts to pour himself a drink of Tequila.
As he finishes pouring his drink he turns to the others and raises his glass to them and says "I hope life has been treating you all better since the last time we were together"

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:11 pm
by BenTheRat
Richard,You jumped threads but that's fine. As you walked down the stairs there was a rather sheepish man standing there like he was unsure what to do. As you passed him and walked in, he nodded to you but did not speak.

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:40 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I nod a greeting at Richard. Its been a long while since I last saw him, but I guess after the Corbitt thing, he had kept his head down.
Now as he turned to speak I felt a cold feeling run up and down my spine. It was obvious from the body language both he and Scott probably shared a common bond, like two survivors of a trench raid that had gone horribly wrong. Richard had been there when I got butchered, hell he had helped pull me out I later learned, but the bond between us wasn't as strong as that between him and Scott, together they had walked, no crawled, from the mess that had been 121 Norman Street.

"Hardly, if it had I doubt any of us would be here"

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:34 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard smiles at Warrens reply as he looks the others over "Well you all look better 'physicaly' then the last time we were together then and I will toast to that" as he raises his glass he ask "So does anybody know who the guy standing outside looking confused is?"

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:54 pm
by BenTheRat
Richard,please review your character sheet. I added the mental disorder you picked up from that final combat with Corbitt. You now have a taste for blood. Its called clinical vamperism. At this point you haven't told anyone about it. So its a private guilty pleasure.
Scott,Please review your character sheet. I have added his mental disorder he picked up from the Corbitt fight, hemophobia. You are basically afraid of blood. You are being treated with something called Radionics. Feel free to look it up. But when you feel the fear you should strap on your radionic device and it allows you to act normally. Ie. you think it works, therefore it calms your nerves so you can work. If you are wearing it you must still pass the tests, if you pass the sanity and idea roll you may act normally and not spend the round putting it on. If you fail you suffer the same penalties as described and if you fail enough you realize the device doesn't really work. But you need to fail 2-3 times before you can determine that.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:20 am
by BenTheRat
Ms. Patton walks into the lounge with a rather timid looking man. "May I present Mr. Norman Smith. Mr. Smith, this is Mr. Richard Rahl, Mr. Warren Kaine, and Mr. Scott Brown. Please make yourself at home. Please eat something and make yourself a drink. Dr. Chambers will be in once everyone has arrived." Ms. Patton says and then leaves heading back to her office.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:53 am
by Silver Priest
Norman adjusts his glasses and gives an awkward nod at the three men, trying very hard not to look at the fellow with the scars.

"A uh, pleasure to meet you all. Are you all here to 'take a peak behind the shadows' as well? Fascinating stuff, truly!"

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:33 am
by DrVendetta
Richard looks at Norman as he speaks then chuckles slightly when he finishes his statement about how fasciniting it would be to peak behind the shadows "Clearly you havent peaked behind the shadows' before Norm" Richard takes another swig from his glass of Tequila. Norman turning away from looking at Richard to avoid seeing his scared face does not go unoticed by Richard "Don't worry you will get use to my face, everyone does it just takes some time" as he walks over to the wall of pictures and starts looking them over with his back to Norman to make it more comfortable for Norman to talk without being selfconcious about starring at his face or away from him until he becomes accustomed to it. Richard has become very good at the game of moving around and looking at other things while caring on conversations over the years. People tend to find it much easier to speak openly and honestly with him when his scarred face is not distracting them from the converstion.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:44 am
by DrVendetta
Richard walks around looking at ll the pictures now knowing what it means to make it into one now. He stops for a second and tips his glass to the pictures of Harrison, Mike, Sonny, and Jordie. He takes in the the pictures with dates just previous to 1921 and then the ones with the earliest date to get a reference of the years involved with MAPS.
Ben,I am basically looking for a couple of things with the dates: When was the last investigation just before the Corbit one, how many pictures have the same year on them just to get an idea of the cost of some of these investigations, and the earliest investigation to get an idea of how long these have been going on.
As he is walking he ask Norman "So what is it that you do for a living Norman?"

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:15 am
by BenTheRat
Richard,before the 1921's the latest date is 1898 and there were 3 of them. The dates stretch back as far as the 1790's. That is the earliest one you see. The 4 for 1921 is the largest group of dates. There are several with 3 but most are singles or doubles. There are about 40-50 paintings total around the room.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:01 am
by Silver Priest
At Richard's comment, Norman looks a bit indignant. "I participated in a séance just last week. The spirit of Teddy Roosevelt himself was called up to speak with us."

Richard's awareness that Norman was avoiding looking at him caused him to squirm. "That's not it at all! I am just rather...ill at ease around people. Excuse me for a moment." Viewing the liquor as salvation, he walks over to it, pours himself a stiff drink, and quickly focuses on consuming it. If he ever needed a little liquid courage, now was the time.

"I'm a uh, Liberian. Books have always interested me, but it was not until recently I felt myself drawn to the paranormal. Quite an interesting subject. Do you have much experience with it?"

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:33 am
by DrVendetta
Richard pauses form his viewing of the pictures and fixes a plate of food from the spread that has been left out for them by Ms Patton and then sits back down at the bar with it and starts eating as he replies to Norman "We have experiened moments with those from the past before but I do not think this is the time or the place to review those incidents." Richard has sat at the bar so Norman only has a side veiw of him to help try to help keep him relaxed. Richard looks over to Warren and Scott and says "You two look like you have recooperated well, especially you Warren, I am glad to see it. I am truely sorry for not staying in touch with either of you but I needed a break to clear my mind and my soul and try to find some clarity again."

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:35 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

By now I'm into my third glass of Southern Comfort without feeling any effect from the liquour. I take another large mouthfull, swill it around and swallow.
Trying not to laugh out loud at Norman's innocent sounding comment about being 'drawn to the paranormal' I incline my head towards Scott,
"Thats how Scott there got drawn in - curiosity. Ask him if he feels the same 'draw' now."
I indicate the pictures with my glass, "Ask her how it felt to be drawn in..."
Suddenly aware that my tirade is becoming nasty, and realising that none of this is the owlish looking Norman's fault. I take another drink, emptying the glass. Then I turn to Richard,
"I understand buddy, didn't feel too much like reminising anyway. Wouldn't be here now but I still have questions that need answering."

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:02 pm
by jbibblesworth
Richard's entrance utterly eclipses Scott's senses as his thoughts are consumed by tightly repressed fears and anxieties of the Corbitt House and that dreadful, dreadful day. There's a yawning sensation that causes reality seems to momentarily come free of it's axis. Time and space seem to bend and tilt before his eyes. It's all he can do to throw his head back and gulp down the fiery liquid in order to provide himself with an excuse to turn back to the bar and away from the group.

There, he trembles slightly as he refills his glass, but the world becomes corporeal once more. He nods at Warren's comment.

"Drawn in?" he echoes, his voice thin and distant. "More like sucked in."

Another sip of the choleric drink seems to steady him and he turns back towards the group, his glazed over eyes resting on Richard.

"Good to see you again Richard." he lies, "Once more into the breach, eh?"

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:55 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard responding to Scott "Unfortunatley I believe that to be true based on past history, so you and Warren both get letters to then?"

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:06 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott produces the neatly folded bit of paper from his interior coat pocket and waves it accusingly before him.

"'A break-in at the Chapel' it said." he quotes, "I imagine he's referring to that old place you all checked out prior to finding the old Corbitt place? What was it called? The Chapel of Meditation?"

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:00 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I find a cigarette box on the table and help myself.
"Break in? Yeah that confused me as far as I remember the chapel had been reduced to rubble by the earlier explosion."
I light the cigarette and take a big drag,
"Unless of course he meant the cellar into which some of you fell that night?"
For a moment I could hear the screaming and gunfire in my mind.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:31 pm
by Silver Priest
Norman looks disappointed that he won't get to hear of the group's past experiences, but Warren's cryptic answer seems to unnerve him. Smiling weakly, he finishes off his drink, carefully listening as the others discuss a break in.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:59 pm
by DrVendetta
" Well the cellar had that altar in it with a skeleton still chained to it, and that book was found down there as well. Who know what else could have been down there if a more though search could have been done. Also lets not forget that Phil made off with the Reverands body from there and we never did hear from him again and the Reverand clearly had an interest in the Chapel, I am still not sure how Phil figured into all of it though but I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up being tied back into this again." says Richard as he finishes up his food.

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:10 am
by BenTheRat
Ms. Patton stands at the entryway with one of Boston's police officers. "I'm sorry sir, what was your name?" she asks the policeman.
Eddie,Inside the room you can see the 4 men, eating and drinking. It's obviously alcohol.

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:57 am
by DetectiveSocks
It has been five months since Alyssa has seen Jordie, her last memories of Jordie, was having a lovely luncheon on a patio deck that faced Charles River. Planning a road trip towards the West coast for the summer holiday.

Upon arrival at the Fine Arts Museum, Alyssa made her way towards the back in uneasy apprehension. She clenched the strap of her camera bag with cautious posture, the heels of her boots giving away her footsteps. As Alyssa reached the back, she saw a police officer of short stature and an old woman in the doorframe. Despite the short stature, the police officer looked like he could drink motor oil and breathe flames no problem. He looked familiar, Alyssa wondered if she had seen him at the Norman Street Massacre Vigil?

"I don't suppose this is Room 105b?" Alyssa's nervous voice betraying her confidence.

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:51 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I grimace the memories flooding back, "Phil, yeah never did find where that bastard went. Looked for a while, but it was hard since I'd kinda burnt my bridges with the paper and Jen."

A pleasant memory surfaces and I smile, "Jen...I went freelance had a couple of articles published by the Globe. Tried to speak to her find out is she'd heard anything, but she hadn't niether had Joe the photographer. That was a while back, got the feeling that I was persona non gratis with all of them"

I shrug, "Still that's life, they never even sent me a get well card while I was in hospital"

I raise my glass and take a sip of the liquid.
Warren thinking:   Better take it easy, this could be a long night  
Mrs Patton's voice from the doorway makes me turn, "Jesus, a cop!!"

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:06 pm
by BenTheRat
Alyssa,as you ask the lady and police officer moved away from you, obviously not hearing you. You follow them into the clean office and then into the hall and catch up to them. You see 4 gentlemen in the room eating and drinking, the police officer, and Ms. Patton. You have seen her before at the Corbitt house.
Ms. Patton turns and sees you for the first time. "Oh, I'm sorry dear, I didn't see you there. My name is Ms. Patton. I'll let the gentlemen introduce themselves." noticing you're holding the newpaper article and your slightly confused look. "Yes deary, this is 105b, you are in the right place. I know I've seen you before, have we met?" she asks.
OOC:   Everyone please introduce yourselves and give a slight description of yourself.  

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:27 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott blinks dumbly through the soupy haze his mind has become as a result of the drinks. He'd already consumed more this evening than he had in the previous six months totaled.

Still, his senses returning, he hoists himself up off the ottoman upon which he had sat and looks towards the new arrival.

"Evening." he nods. "Scott Bowen at your service."

The young man sports a boyish face with soft features that seems to harden around a pair of pale-green eyes that often appear troubled and distant. His once wild mop of curly black hair has been cropped short, a carryover from his military service. His time as a stevedore has added some bulk to his frame, and overall he gives the impression of a stoic physicality. He is dressed neatly, but unassumingly, in a simple pair of worn linen trousers and a matching two-button coat.

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:26 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:
I look beyond the cop to see who Mrs Patton is talking to.
The old lady is right there is something about the dame peeping over the cop's shoulder that is vaguely familiar.
"Uh, I'm Warren free lance journalist and part time spook hunter" I want to laugh but the joke doesn't seem that funny, "Pleased to meet you all...I think"
OOC:   Warren is in his early thirties, although his eyes seem much older. He has a scar, a souvenir from the war in France down the left side of his face and he has a tendency to favour his left chest and shoulder. Perhaps another scar.  

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:46 pm
by DetectiveSocks
Alyssa wipes her cold clammy hands on her trousers and reaches out to shake each of the mans hand, her camera bag still clenched in front of her. "Pleasure to meet you," Alyssa gave a brief pause to the handshake, her collar getting tighter. "Miss Ryan," her voice picking up composure, as she shakes both Warren and Scott, squinting her eye in suspicion.

Setting foot inside the lavishly decorated lounge, Alyssa's hair flowed pale gold with signs of brunette in her roots, an evidence of priorities five months ago. At an arms length, Alyssa has an earthly scent with notes of honey, spice, cedar wood, and that heavy smell of musk. Subtle enough to be close and intimate, yet not loud enough that announces her. For the distinction and price of $49.95, of a perfume bottle the size of a table salt shaker.

In the corner of Alyssa's eyes, a picture of Jordie is displayed on the wall like a trophy, startling Alyssa.

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:49 pm
by Silver Priest
Norman's eyes go wide as the other men casually mention bodies and skeletons. He seems about to say something, but the mention of a cop has him dropping his drink. "I...I wasn't..." He's a tall, thin man with a receding hairline and thick glasses. His eyes dart between the new arrivals nervously.
Once it seems likely he's not about to be arrested, he relaxes,which for the average person would still be considered rather nervous.

"Norman Smith. Good to meet you b...both."

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"The name's Eddie Donovan," says Eddie, looking around at the faces of the people here to see if he recognizes any of them from Norman Street. He is somewhat shorter than average, but very muscular regardless. He wears his Boston police uniform, which is in pristine condition. His black hair pokes out from under his uniform cap, and he has intense hazel eyes that are studying everyone here.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:27 am
by DrVendetta
"Richard Rahl here" says Richard in a soothingly calm voice, when the new arrivals look over to him and start to take in his facial scars and he starts to see the look of shock in their eyes he slowly turns to refill his tequlia and continues with his soothing voice "a cop and a photojurnalist, at least that is my assumption from the camera bag" Richard walks over and adds a few more pieces of food to his plate as he is talking, not making eye contact with the new arrivals to give them a few seconds to take in his shockingly scared facial features to help them get past the awkwardness of speaking to a man with a face such as his "I am curious how did the two of you hear about this little get together tonight?" after retriving the additonal food Richard returns to his seat at the bar.

As Richard stands and walks over to the table where the food is laid out and gathers some food onto his plate you see that Richard has jet black hair and is 6 feet tall and weighs a solid 200lbs. He clearly looks like he could handle himself if it came to that, but his voice is calm and very soothing coming from a man with probably the worst facial scars that you have ever seen. Something about the calm and soothing voice that he speaks with and the way he carries himself, ensuring that he gives you clear views of his facial features without making eye contact to see the shock in your eyes that help put you at ease with his facial features.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"A lot of legwork," says Eddie, showing the newspaper clipping he holds. "It all led me to this classified ad. I'm just going to assume that everything you're drinking was already here before the Volstead Act went into effect. What's important to me is to find out why so many of my friends are dead. Sam was on the force so long he was my grandfather's partner, and he'd been all set to retire in a few weeks. And Jimmy was just a kid, fresh out of the academy." Eddie's eyes moisten, and he has to fight to keep the tears back. "I can still see their faces, hear their voices. Sure, it's a dangerous job, and you know that death could be waiting for you at any time, but you don't expect to lose so many all on one day..."

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:38 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I watch as Richard carries on heaping food on a plate. Kind of reminds me how long its been since I last ate. I look at my half full glass of Southern Comfort, and shrug. Like Richard I cross to the table and pick up a plate.
As the voice of the cop, Eddie, reaches my ears, I shrug and grimace, "Yeah, heard that a lot of times in France too"
Instantly I regret saying it. It wasn't meant to sound as hurtful as it probably did. I cover my embarassment by forking a large slab of ham onto my plate, "I'd like to help officer but I was laid up in hospital at the time. However I lost someone I was starting to care about there, so I understand how you feel. There are many questions yet to be answered, but I've no doubt that once the prof arrives things will get clearer" I say the word 'clearer' in a way that the prof's arrival might do anything but.

"Pleased to meet you, Miss...Ryan was it?" I catch the strange look she sends towards the photos, "Recognise any of them?"

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:18 pm
by Papa Gateau
An elderly black lady walks into the room. She is well dressed, if a little bizarrely. She walks with an ebony cane and carries a large canvas apothecary bag. Her eyes are bright and quizzical as she looks around the room and at each person in turn.

When her eyes fall on Richard and his scarring, she holds his gaze a little longer, her face showing no change in emotion, before moving on.

Which of you fine folks might be Dr. Chambers? - her voice has a strength to it that belies her years, it's a voice that it soft and gentle in tone but one that expects to be obeyed, like that of a favourite school teacher - a steel fist in a velvet glove.

Come come, don't be shy - show yourself, I don't bite! Well, not often! - she smiles, a big broad smile that seems vaguely familiar to some of the others in the room.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:35 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard smiles at the elderly lady as he notices that his facial scarring does not faze her emotionally at all. "Dr. Chambers has yet to arrive, my name is Richard, and we are all here waiting on him to arrive. What might be your name if I may ask?"[/b] Richard ask is a relaxed tone.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:51 pm
by Papa Gateau
Luisa Goodman, though most folk call me Aunt Loosa she turns her gaze back to Richard.

I'm sorry to intrude on your happy little gathering but I'm glad to hear Dr. Chambers is due, I'm hoping he can help me find my nephew, apparently he helped Sonny find some good paying work. He's a good boy and would write me regularly but I haven't had a letter from him for several months and I have a terrible feeling he may be in some kind of danger.

Still, that's none of your concern, I'm probably just fussing over nothing

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:58 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard frowns as he hears Lusia mention Sonny, knowing that her heart is about to be broken "Please have a seat and make yourself comfortable Aunt Loosa, I am sure that Dr Chambers will be along shortly" Richard wonders if she will notice the picture of Sonny on the wall, Sonny was a good guy just trying to earn some extra money, he had been polite and courtious to all. God what a mess that turned into.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:52 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I drag my eyes away from the pictures displayed on the wall to the newcomer at the mention of a nephew called Sonny.
Warren thinking:   Jesus!! [b]Sonny[/b] the happy go lucky trumpet player  
I flick them back to the picture as it becomes obvious that this lady has no idea of what happened on Norman Street. I hear Richard talking, its clear he's trying to keep the old ladies attention away from the smiling picture of her poor, dead nephew.
Warren thinking:   That's another question [b]Chambers[/b] has to answer. This little soiree could get interesting fast, maybe there's a story in it.  
I just hope that Miss Ryan doesn't choose this moment to blurt out that she knew him or her and have the old lady notice her dead nephew staring down at her.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:15 pm
by Papa Gateau
Thank you, Richard she takes herself over to one of the deep sofas and lowers herself in.

Oooh! there's nice, take the weight of these tired old feet. Would one of you be so kind as to pour me a cup of tea?

Now, I don't want to be a nuisance, being uninvited and everything but it's nice to know everyone's names. I know Richard's and you all know mine and I assume you all know each other's seeing as you're all waiting on Dr. Chambers.

Let's start with you young man, in your fine uniform

she points at the police officer and gives a warm, toothy smile.
OOC:   All - I'll assume you make a brief introduction of yourselves  

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:30 pm
by BenTheRat
At this time a small side door in the lounge slides open and you see an elderly gentleman walk into the room.

He is walking with a cane, though it doesn't appear he really needs it. His suit has definetely seen better days and it appears he has been up for a couple days straight. And while his body looks frail, you see a strength in him, not seen in most, and his eyes have aged much more than his body.
He takes a puff on the cigar he is holding in his hands and exhales. "Hello everyone, for those that I have never met, I am Dr. Chambers. I see the returning crowd is all here, and the newcomers have all made it, except for 1. There is always 1, isn't that curious?" Asking to no one in particular. His eyes darting to each face as if he has known you all your life. Giving you a smile, that somehow warms you, even if you don't want it to. "As usual, I rarely call meetings with good news. But first I know some of the newer faces have questions. I doubt the answers you are looking for can be found, but perhaps a bit of light can illuminate the unknown."
The doctor walks over to the bar and pours himself 2 fingers of scotch and stands by the bar expectantly.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:44 pm
by Papa Gateau
Aunt Loosagets to her feet and walks over to Chambers

I'm sorry to intrude on your gathering butI'm trying to locate my nephew, Sonny Goodman. In one of the letters he sent me, he said you had found him some good paying work. Said it was a bit strange but paid well. Well I received one more letter after that, sayin' he was investigating a haunted house and then I ain't heard nothin' for months. Now that's strange, 'cos Sonny is a good boy and writes me regular.

I'm worried about my Sonny, do you know where I might find him, can you tell me about this job you got him? Who he was working for and where?

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:16 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

The sudden unnanounced, appearance of the prof doesn't suprise me, he has a knack.
I am a little suprised by the agility that the old lady shows, and the way she confronts the doc. I get the feeling that this is one old lady you don't want to mess with despite her gentle, good mannered way of speaking. Makes me think of Sonny, he had the same way about him.

I wait for his answer, not sure how she's gonna take the news, and wondering why no one had told here in the five months since it happened. I sip my drink in anticipation, and all the while Sonny's face stares down from that picture alongside the others.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:34 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott seems to perk up at the sight of Dr. Chambers arrival and saunters towards their elderly benefactor in the hopes of greeting him personally, when the new arrival bursts in inquiring about Sonny.

Falling silent, he hopes someone tactful will handle the situation accordingly.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:58 pm
by BenTheRat
"Aunt Loosa", the doctor says smiling in a welcoming but sympathetic way and puts his cigar to the side. "You are not intruding at all, I expected you tonight and you should feel welcomed here as much as anyone else. Now about Sonny, let me give you my condulances," Dr. Chambers takes Aunt Loosa's arm and walks her over to the painting of Sonny, "your nephew worked for me. Unfortunately for all of us, the job turned out to be far more dangerous than I ever imagined it would be. He passed, saving this fair city from one of the most horrid creatures I could have ever imagined. He did not give me anyone for me to contact upon his falling, or I would have contacted you months ago. When I found out you were coming this way, I knew it was destiny that you find us. And you have." Dr. Chambers pulls out a handkerchef and dabs his eyes and holds it as if offering it to Aunt Loosa. "I wasn't actually there when it happened, but several of the team fell that day, it was a black day for MAPS. Sonny was an exceptional young man, who had a knack for tapping into the universe, few people will ever understand. That was why I recruited him in the first place. And now I know where he gets it."

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:39 am
by Silver Priest
"People have died?" Norman's eyes grow wide.

"I came here because I thought the paranormal would be fascinating. Illuminating. But are you saying this is dangerous?

Norman takes a few steps towards the door, but something prevents him from leaving. Against his better judgment, he was now more intrigued than ever. At the very least, he would allow the doctor to tell him what was going on before he left.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:49 am
by DrVendetta
Richard has now turned to take in the full view of everything that is going on. The whole time Richard wondered how Chambers would talk and address all of these peoples conerns and questions. He had figured that the cop had either been there and survived or new many of the police that did not, he hadnt seen Sonny's old Auntie walking into this but there she was. Richard is not sure that Norman will be cut out for this after his comments. He hasnt quite figured out Alyssa's pull to this yet unless she like Warren is just looking for that one story for her to make it on, of course she will write her story with a camera and pictures instead of words like Warren. He can't wait to see where this goes next but at the same time he is a little afraid of what Dr Chambers may ask of them after he pulls this whole group back together again, after the Corbit incident he is not sure he could imagine anything worst. That dark night changed him on many levels and in many ways, some of which he still fights with each day. He would do anything to be able to erase the memories of it but it is all etched pemantley in the front of his mind, all of the darkness, the distress, the madness, the death, the blood, good lord the blood.... A shiver runs up Richard's spine as he shakes his mind back into the present and the situation that is unfolding in front of him now and he goes back to concentrating on it and what is happening now.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm Eddie Donovan," says the policeman, offering his hand to Dr. Chambers. "Yeah, I've got questions. I wanna know just what the...heck happened on Norman Street." He stops himself from cussing, aware that there are ladies present. "Why are my friends dead?"

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:00 am
by Papa Gateau
Aunt Loosa regards the picture of Sonny.

A wistful smile plays across her lips He always was a happy boy, so quick to smile and laugh.

She turns back to Dr. Chambers Thank you for being frank and honest Dr. Chambers. I don't hold you responsible for his death. He has moved on to the afterlife and his souls are free.

When the time is right I will commemorate his death and he will be among us again.
she looks back at the picture for a moment and then looks back at Dr Chambers Do you have any of his possessions? His trumpet? Oh how he loved that trumpet. Did you ever hear him play? Oh, he was such a talent!" a huge smile lights up her face at the memories.

She turns her smile to Eddie I'm sorry for your losses Mr. Donovan but I am sure your friends are in a good place. Please try not be angry. with that she turns and walks over to the bar

Now, I think I'll take that tea

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:45 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I continue my delicate sips at my glass, impressed by the dignity being shown by the coloured lady.
I spend a moment looking at the picture of Sonny, I can't remember a time when he wasn't armed with that trumpet.
Warren thinking:   I wonder what happened to it? Probably lost during the chaos of [i]Norman Street[/i], glad I wasn't there  
The itch starts again, I resist the urge to scratch it, knowing it wouldn't do any good at all.
As I look away from the pictures I spend a few moments looking at the one of Jordie. Odd! something about the newcomer Miss Ryan reminds me of her. The way she does her hair, perhaps. The same all knowing smile that Jordie flashed at you each time you spoke.
I shake my head in an attempt to clear the alchohol fuzz,
Warren thinking:   This is starting to get obssesive, [b]Jordie[/b] is dead like the others, let it go  
I turn to Chambers, as eager to get the low down on events as the others. I raise my glass to my lips and gulp down the last of the fiery liquor.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:04 pm
by jbibblesworth
"...Norman Street." Scott whispers breathlessly.

The levies crumble and the memories come surging back to his mind in a volatile mixture of imagery and sensory input. The panic, the fear, the disbelief. As if they were all sharing a collective nightmare from which they couldn't wake up. The smell of gunpowder and blood. That THING as it approached Sonny, jamming it's claws into his chest as easily as you'd put your fist through a watermelon rind. Sonny's final look of horror as he peered at his own tattered heart in Corbitt's taloned hand. Jordie crumpled in the middle of the street in a halo of her own blood, fading away before his very eyes.

"Your friends helped save everyone in this city on Norman Street." he stated flatly. "That's what happened."

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:24 pm
by BenTheRat
"What Scott said is true." Dr. Chambers says as Ms. Patton pours Aunt Loosa a cup of tea. "Eddie you were there, you saw what that creature did to Boston's finest, and in a matter of minutes." Dr. Chambers settles himself into a chair with his cigar and scotch. "Oh Ms. Patton, before I forget, please retrieve Sonny's personal effects and give them to Aunt Loosa." He pauses for a second thinking,
Dr. Chambers takes a puff on his cigar and a small sip, then continues. "The Norman house street started off as merely a haunted house investigation. I figured it was a ghost, or spirit causing problems that needed to be run off. I had no idea, the team would be running into an undead fiend with a protection spell that made him virtually unstoppable. It wasn't until the team encountered him in the house, did they fully understand what they were dealing with. They fled, burning the house down, hoping that would slow him down or possibly kill him." He left that trailing for a second as if he was remembering something then moved on.
"It wasn't until we heard the reports later on the police band that he was free of the house and that the police had gotten involved. Oh what a mess. By the time the team returned with what was needed to stop him, the main damage had been done. Eddie, I'm sorry for the loss of your friends, the police should have never gotten involved. By the time we understood what was going on, it was too late to warn you. The best we could do is jump back into the fray. Armed with the knowledge they had discovered they were able to remove the protection, and I then believe Richard took care of things with a bullet to Mr. Corbitt's head to end his miserable rein." The doctor finished off his scotch.
"Yes Norman, many times the supernatural can be dangerous. But what in this world is both fascinating and safe outside of the books you crave. Lions are fascinating, Africa and Antartica are both fascinating, and yes the paranormal is fascinating, but all of these can kill you if you don't know how to deal with them. That was one of the reasons I asked you to be here tonight Norman. To join the next team of MAPS." His eyes lock onto Norman for just a second longer than Norman feels comfortable with,
"I hope that answers everyone's questions. Now we could go on rehashing the past, or we can move onto why I called you all here tonight. In the course of the Corbitt investigation the trail led to an abandoned chapel that had been destroyed a long time ago. The team brilliantly discovered an ancient artifact in the basement ruins along with the knowledge to defeat Corbitt. My team at the museum has been investigating the artifact and excavating the rest of the basement. We discovered a 2nd room with a rather odd statue carved from granite in the room." Dr. Chambers shakes his glass and Ms. Patton fills it with more of the Scotch he had been drinking. "No one ever goes there anymore but we kept the artifact covered and posted a security guard every night. This last Saturday morning we returned to the chapel to find the artifact was uncovered, the statue stolen, and the security guard dead." The doctor drinks the scotch down in one gulp. "What makes this extremely odd, is how the guard died." Then a short pause, "He drowned."

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:37 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:
Having settled back to listen to the doc's explanation of the disaster that had been Norman Street, I start when he mentions a security guard dead of drowning. The memory of an old man in an empty lot that once housed a chapel comes flooding, please forgive the pun, back.
"Uh, uh" I reply shaking my head, "He died, Richard here plugged him good. Last time I saw that old man he was being finished off by Phil"
I refill my glass from a rapidly emptying bottle, "However Phil took that body and disapeared. I looked for him but never got a sniff"
I look at Chambers suspiciously, "Is there anything that I wasn't told old man?"

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:40 pm
by jbibblesworth
"Thought you weren't into strolls down memory lane Warren." Scott remarks with a weak grin.

He furrows his brow and leans forward from his seat, peering at Dr. Chambers intently.

"You say he drowned?" he exchanges skeptical glances with the rest of the group. "Are we to assume this second room showed no sign of having been filled with water? Is it possible he was killed at another location and his body replaced at a later time?"

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:50 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I smile at Scott, "You weren't there so you didn't see that old guy suddenly hit us with some hocus pocus whammy that had Richard coughing up water like some drowning sailor and Me,Jordie, and Sonny fighting some strange tentacles that damn near killed me there. Hell if it hadn't been for Richard's quick recovery and good shooting we'd all be pictures up there"
I wave my glass at the pictures on the wall.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:57 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott's mouth suddenly seems very dry and the vague taste of copper returns as Kaine's description substantiates his fears.

'This is no ordinary burglary.' he thinks despondently, 'Of course it isn't. This group wouldn't be so lucky. The Doc's gonna have to put in a second room to fit all the portraits pretty soon.'

"Dark magic." he mutters gravely to Chambers, a concept he would have found ludicrous a year prior. "Is that what you think's at work here doctor?"

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:26 pm
by Silver Priest
The librarian takes it all on, as the gravity of the situation begins to dawn on him.

This isn't some harmless séance. Whatever these people are doing is dangerous. I can't get involved. If even the police are powerless, what hope do I have? I should go.

And yet, Norman found he could not leave. The morsel of information he had just heard had captured his imagination, igniting a perverse thrill within him. If he left now, he'd go back to his daily drudgery, enjoy his dull if comforting life. But if he stayed... maybe he could actually be a hero for once. Maybe this was what he was meant to do.

He returns to the others, sealing his fate, For good or ill. Listening carefully to Dr. Chambers explanation, he tries to think of what anyone could want with a long forgotten statue.

"Was the statue perhaps valuable?"

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:31 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I casually glance around the room to note its occupants reactions to Scott's "Dark Magic" quip. Especially the new guy, Norman, who had been looking very nervous since Chambers had started speaking. It seemed that things were starting to get a touch serious for guy.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:23 pm
by BenTheRat
Dr. Chambers smiles for the first time tonight, "Correct, we do not believe the body was moved, and the only person alive other than the few of us in this room that new about the chapel was???" he lets the question hang waiting for a response.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:51 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I nod at the docs words, "Phil!! He's back, well okay"
Warren thinking:   like crap he had to surface at some time  
"Hang on a minute, what about Joe the photographer for the Globe, he was there with Phil that night"
I think about it for a minute then shake my head, "No he wouldn't have the balls to return to that place. It has to be Phil...I wonder if he's still got that place over on Howard Street, might be the last place he would expect anyone to come looking for him"
I look over at Richard, "Fancy a little trip to pay our respects?"

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:44 am
by DrVendetta
Richard's eyes seem to have become a few shades darker as all the conversation of the past events are rehashed " 'alta spirare' I will never forget those words.... thats what the Reverand said before he shattered something on the ground and then my lungs filled with water and I almost drowned, god that was a horrible feeling. I am sure that is what killed your guard the questions is who was able to do that to him?" Richard ponders a few thoughts in his mind then continues "I believe you are right about Phil though Warren, we all thought the Reverand was dead, but maybe he wasnt when Phil dragged him away." a somber pale look comes over Richards face as he looks out at everyone "Or worst yet Phil has managed to find a way to bring the Reverand back from the Dead, after the Corbit incident I do believe anything is possible" Richard brings his thoughts back to Phil and he continues "Based on the research I dug up on the whole church and what was going on there I believe that Phil was connected to the church in some way, there was never alot of news in the papers about any of it and Phil would have had the ability to help supress it in the papers when you think about it."

Richard takes another sip of his Tequila and responds to Warrens request "I really don't think Joe is involved but he would be the best place to start to try to find a lead on Phil though"

Richard turning to look at Dr Chambers "So what are your thoughts on Phil Doc? What do you know about Phil? You have had to do some digging yourself since you know Phil was the only other one who new about the church"

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:59 am
by Mr. Handy

Aunt Loosa's voice calms Eddie down, and he feels as though she is his own aunt, perhaps everybody's aunt in some way. "If I hadn't seen for myself what happened, I probably wouldn't have believed any of this," he says. "But I saw a man - if it was a man - take dozens of bullets without so much as flinching while he massacred everyone around him. Nearly killed me too. I don't know where he got that kind of power, but things like that have to be stopped. I swore to serve and protect the people of Boston, and now it seems they need protection from things they don't have the slightest inkling of. You can be sure I'll do what I can. This ruined chapel...I think I heard something about that. There was some sort of big police raid on what was called the Chapel of Contemplation back in 1912. I was a rookie that year, and while I wasn't part of the raid, Sam and my dad mentioned it. I don't know much about it though, only that there were dozens of arrests and then nothing more was heard about it."

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:41 am
by DetectiveSocks
This wasn't some secret VIP hotspot of Boston with the finest bootlegged liquor you can find. Alyssa suddenly realized she had walked into a secret society, as she glanced at the wall of pictures again with Jordie, stretching as far back as the 18th century. This would make a great headline story, Alyssa had thought to herself, but who would believe her? Even with the right proof, she wouldn't even know how to go about doing so. Especially what she saw last night if only her camera had worked, visiting Corbitt's House more often than she'd like to drink.

"If the body hasn't been moved, it seems the guard must've dry drowned? Am I to be mistaken Dr. Chambers?" As each minute is getting stranger and stranger, gripping Alyssa's imagination.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:57 pm
by BenTheRat
"No Alyssa, there were still evidence of the salt water in his mouth and on his suit." Dr. Chambers responds, "As for Joe, it seems he moved to Chicago soon after someone on the team scared the crap out of him. He works for the Tribune out there now. He was working a political fund raiser last Friday." He sets his glass down an plucks a grape and eats it.
Dr. Chambers fixes a small plate of fruits and meats for himself. "That isn't all, a strange message was on the base of the statue that was left behind. We never saw it because the statue was on top of it. But etched into the base it said, 'For True Enlightenment', then it has a math problem '42.66 x 70.62.' Of course that equals 3012.65 by none of my staff can figure out how that number relates to anything. Any thoughts?"
Alyssa,that incident happened 6 nights ago, Friday night. The same night Dr. Chambers is referring to for the breakin at the Chaple

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:05 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott ponders the numbers for a moment before tapping his chin.

"Perhaps it's not an equation. Perhaps they're geographical coordinates?" he suggests.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:22 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I perk up at Scott's sugestion, "Have we got access to a decent map of the world?"

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:30 pm
by BenTheRat
The doctor smiles, "Ahh, old age is adling my brain, perhaps." he walks over to a panel that slides to the side. Underneath are all types of maps, that pull down. He pulls down one it is of Africa, he pulls and it rolls back up. Then pulls down one of the world.
ooc all,use whatever map of the World if you wish.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:36 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott stands and approaches one of the larger maps representing the Eastern Seaboard of the United States and carefully traces the longitude and latitude lines to their intersect points.

His fingertip rests on a thin section of land that protrudes from the eastern most section of Massachusetts into the Atlantic Ocean. A word is obscured by his finger and he pulls it back to read it.

"Rockport, Massachusetts?" he says aloud.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:32 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I walk over to the map and look closely at it,
"What the hell is in Rockport?"

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:49 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott shrugs passively and thrusts his hands into the back pockets of his trousers.

"True enlightenment maybe?" he quips, rocking back and forth on the balls of his feet.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:11 pm
by tj5000
Charles Francis

Charles Francis walks up the address indicated in his invitation. He does not yet know why his assistance has been requested but he figures it has got to be better then distracting his mind and time with his various other never-ending studies. He stretches out his arm and gives to curt raps on the door, awaiting for a response.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:15 pm
by BenTheRat
Ms. Patton promptly opens the door and leads you into the lounge with the rest of the people.
"Ah, so glad you could join us tonight Charles, so now the whole group is here. Please fill in our friend on what has happened so far and make appropriate introductions." Dr. Chambers says.
Charles,fill free to read this topic from the beginning to get a description of the room and what has happened so far.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:36 pm
by Silver Priest
Norman watches the whole scene with rapt fascination. It was like something out of a detective novel! Even despite the obvious dangers, the anxious fellow can't help but find this all rather exciting.

"I work for the public library. Perhaps I could try and look up some information on Rockport. Maybe it has a connection to the events you all are investigating. That we're investigating."

Already preoccupied with berating himself for his stupid suggestion, he offers only a half nod to the new arrival.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:49 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I ignore Scott's obvious joke. Nod and smile at Norman's suggestion, "Sure that'll help, look in the missing artefacts section"
Warren thinking:   That was a bit harsh the guy is only trying to help  
I turn to a familiar figure in the doorway, "So Charles, you came too"

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:56 pm
by tj5000
Charles walks into the room following Ms. Pattons introduction. He declines a seat as well as a drink and reminds standing during introductions. He is very business-like in all his mannerisms with a bit of rigidity. At first he listens with mild curiosity to the accounts of the past events as related from the others. His curiosity builds, as well as his skepticism. He keeps his skepticism to himself however, scanning over this odd assortment of individuals. Thinking to himself" well what do I have to loose, this could be an interesting study into things occult, a subject of which I have little knowledge".

"Well I suppose I can lend my services however I can, especially if it can prevent a recurrence of that tragic event a fore mentioned" says Charles.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:07 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott screws his face up at Warren's chiding remarks and turns towards Norman.

"I'm sure your resources will come in plenty handy Norman, but it would seem to me at present our search criteria is a bit nebulous at best." he folds his arms, "A history of Rockport couldn't hurt certainly, but I'm sure your abilities could be better utilized once we narrow down what exactly it is we're looking for."

He nods gravely towards Charles and continues on towards Dr. Chambers, his mind finally sharpening from it's alcohol-induced fog as the mystery unfolds.

"Dr. Chambers, have any of your cases referenced Rockport before?"

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:56 pm
by tj5000
OOC:   ( i was mixed up thinking charles was new to the group., i understand now)  
Charles: "Yes, it's good to see you again to Warren, I just wish it was brought on by such grave circumstances."

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:06 am
by BenTheRat
Dr. Chambers smiles as the group seems to be coming together to work, as Ms. Patton walks in with a box, you can see the end of a trumpet sticking out. She hands the box to Aunt Loosa and then carries an envelope over to the doctor.
"Ah, yes how could I have forgotten?" The doctor says opening the envelope, "In addition to the inscription, we found this portion of a postcard laying on the floor. Our men are pretty sure it wasn't there before."

"It's torn and burnt, but maybe it can help. And here is a picture of the statue. We are still trying to decipher the writing on the bottom, but we believe it says something along the lines of 'Follow the Great Cthulhu and Dispair.'"

"And finally the last bit of information is a telegram that was sent from a friend of mine in California Monday morning to the Harvard Observatory." He gets it out and lays it on the table fore anyone to see. It reads as follows:

“Star-like object certainly brighter than Venus three degrees east one degree south of Sun seen several minutes before and at sunset by naked eye. Five observers. Set behind low clouds. Unquestionably celestial object. Chances favour nucleus bright comet, less probably nova.”

"This sighting happened 2 days after the statue was stolen, it maybe a coincidence, but I'm not one to believe in those. I thought maybe my friends just had a bit too much of the cheap stuff, but since Monday I've received a half dozen other reports on this same instance, and no one knows what it is. There is a combined 500 years worth of astronomy study in this small group and no one knows what they were looking at." Dr. Chambers takes a last puff on his cigar and puts it out. "That's why they come to me. To find those answers. I know its not a lot to go on, but something in my gut tells me that stolen statue and this celestial anomoly are related. I'll leave it to you, I have nothing else to add. Ms. Patton can see to any needs you might have. Good night everyone." With that Dr. Chambers heads for his door back to his office.

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:07 am
by DrVendetta
"Dr Chambers you did not answer my question about Phil? What do you know about him? Also do you think that the Reverand could still be alive or possibly 'Raised' and he may be the one that got the drop on your guard or do you think it was someone else?" Richard asks paitently.

"Another point I hate to bring up but it does need to be mentioned before you leave us, but who will our financial benefactor be for this endeavor? I don't know about the rest of you but I have rent to pay as well as other bills in order to survive. These investigations are full time jobs unfortunatley." ask Richard in a calm and honest tone.

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:52 am
by BenTheRat
"Of course Richard, sorry if I missed your questions. Phil, like I said we tried to track him down but failed, as for the Reverend, I've never heard of anyone coming back from the dead, but maybe he wasn't completely dead, as someone else mentioned. But that spell I have to say is pretty unique. I'd never heard of it till your investigation." Dr. Chambers pauses for a second, "Oh yes of course you will get paid for your efforts. Maps is picking up the bill on this one. "
OOC:   for bigger images:
postcard
statue  

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:29 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I pick up the piece of post card and turn it over, to look for letters or marks of any kind.
Spot Hidden,65% 1d100 → [38] = (38) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4585481/

Looking at the picture of the statue, I can't help but smile, "Crist he's ugly... Antbody seen this before?"

As Chambers exits the room I turn to Norman, "Librarian huh? Tell me have you ever heard of a planet called Mbiru, or something like that, I seem to recall that name from an article someone wrote years ago on some psychic or another?"

I look around, "Okay it's probably pure hokum, but with some of the stuff I've seen I'm starting to develop an open mind. If I remember this Mbiru is supposed to bring the destruction of our world"

I refill my glass, peer at the now empty bottle, take a mouthfull and shrug, "Well why not, a planet is a star aint it?"

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:35 pm
by BenTheRat
Warren,you can see some letters that are barely legible but they are generic for a postcard. Nothing of any value other than to verify this was a postcard.

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:15 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard looks around the room at the ecletic group of people gathered, God what have I gotten myself into with this, an old lady, a librarian, a photographer, and a cop, I mean a cop after all of the things we had to do last time he wants to put a cop on this team. I sure hope this officer isnt a strick by the book kind of guy.

"So is everyone in on this? Now is the time to start walking if you are not. We need to know who is in and who is out in order to figure out what we do next" Richard ask of everyone. "And you are probably going to have to ask for some time away from your regular jobs if you have them as it looks like we may be doing some travelling on this one."

Richard shoots the rest of his Teqila and sets his glass down on the bar and walks over next to Warren looking at the pictures, as he awaits their respone's.

Richard looks the pictures over much closer with Warren
Ben,do not know if you need one or not but here is a spot check for the pictures and statue spot hidden chance = 49% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:22 pm
by BenTheRat
Richard,you don't see anything spectacular, you see some generic postcard writing on the back but nothing to say where it was from. The Statue you do not recognize it. If you do know what the picture in the postcard is, you may use that information. Its possible your character could have seen this.

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:23 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Everyone can make a Cthulhu Mythos check to determine if they know anything about the statue.  

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:35 pm
by Silver Priest
Eyes narrowing, Norman thinks. "Mbiru? I don't believe I've ever heard of it. But my, how ghastly!"

He nods to Richard. "I confess this was not quite what I was expecting. Drowning and monsters. But I cannot turn my back on things now. I'm not much of a bruiser, but I want to help in any way I can."

Laying eyes upon the statue, he represses a shudder.

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:49 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard smiles at Norman and in a appreciative voice says "Research is 75% of what we do, you will be a welcome and coveted addition to the team Norman."

Richard looks around at the rest of the new additions waiting for ther response.

He stops when his gaze meets Eddies, he see's the thoughts running threw his mind in his eyes, clearly he is vengful of what happened to his friends and family that awful night with Corbit, it would be nice to have someone with physical abilities join the team but he needs to understand that we very well may not be on the proper side of the written laws of man at times during this investigation.

He tells Eddie as he is looking at him "I think I speak for the rest of the team when I say we would love to have someone with your back ground join us but keep in mind we do have to side step the written laws of man at times in order to accomplish what must be done in order to complete our task Eddie, we will need to know if this is an issue for you so we know when to exclude you from certian activities if need be, if you decide to join us."
Ben,I have an 8% chance on Cuthulu Mythos here is the roll [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:07 pm
by tj5000
Charles:

I wait until Warren, Norman, and Richard are finished then I inspect the statue along with the postcard.
I almost drop the statue when I turn it around to see what looks like curled up wings. i quickly put it down."I really hope this statue is just for decoration and not of something living...."
"
Ben,I roll a[dice]0[/dice] and get a 90. my mythos is 8%

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:17 am
by jbibblesworth
Scott gives the torn bit of postcard a cursory glance, clearly uninterested in such a mundane bit of evidence in favor of the infernal sense of dread that statue offers.

"Looks like some sort of bay or dock." he glances up at Norman. "This could be useful to verify as well as long as you're looking up stars. See if you can't find any old images of the Rockport bay and see if it matches up with the buildings in this postcard."

He picks the idol up and rolls it cautiously from hand to hand.

"Ka-thoo-loo?" he whispers to himself curiously, his thumbs tracing it's tentacled image.
Spoiler:
Mythos Roll - 5/34 - Failed
Scott sets the monstrous relief down from the spot he picked it up.

"Probably just some long forgotten deity." he remarks to Charles, not quite believing his own assertion.

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm definitely in," says Eddie, "and I am a bruiser. I'm still on long-term leave from the force a while longer due to my injuries, so I have time to devote to this. But, yeah. I think it's best if you don't let me know about anything that isn't strictly legal."

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:07 am
by DrVendetta
Richard responds first to Eddie "Thank you that is good to know, and I don't want you to think we are out there breaking laws left and right, sometime we have just have to do some things that need to be done. It will be nice to have a 'bruiser' with us as it seemed to get awful physical last time"

Richard looks over to Scott and says "It is a picture of a red barn that is fairly old that sits out on a stone peer in a bay, I think it is Sandy Bay, I know I have seen it before and if my memory serves me correctly I believe that it is in or very near Rockport Massachusetts. I remember it from a book that I was reading about a British invasion there during the the War of 1812 many years ago."

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:45 am
by Silver Priest
"Things seem to be pointing us to Rockport," Norman says. "I'll look up what I can on the history of the town. Perhaps it has ties to this reverend you were speaking of."

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:05 am
by DetectiveSocks
After briefly looking at the paperweight in the photograph which seem to be the spotlight of everyone's attention, it had left Alyssa feeling rather skeptical, her fingers ache from writing in her notepad feverishly. However, for once Alyssa hasn't entertained the slightest doubt of any this, that everything seems so crazy that it might actually be plausible. Always under a dry spell of coming empty handed, this was the big break Alyssa had been looking for. Perhaps an exclusive interview with Dr. Chambers could be arranged once this mystery has been solved.

Alyssa and despair never got along together in the same room the last five months, always staying it's welcome. Though with promising prospects to look forward for, her confidence breathed with fire.

After a long pause of attentive listening and note taking, Alyssa tried remembering her brief time spent being an intern at the Boston Globe, trying to remember if she'd met Warren or Phil. "If the thieves are as clever as Scott, it's most likely they'll be at Rockport as well."
Occult 5%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4586154/]Failure 44%[/url]

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:30 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I look at Norman, take in his glasses and serious, studious look - yep, a librarian allright it seems to exude from his every pore, "Yeah, you do that. It's unlikely that you'll find any mention of the reverend or his church, but it won't hurt to look I suppose"

Out of the corner of my eye I watch as Alyssa concentrates on her notebook, hell she reminds me of me at one time before...
There is still something about her, but I can't put my finger on it. I answer her comment with my usual cinicism, "You reckon?"

Turning to the map I tap Rockport with one finger, "So we head to Rockport then." I say to Richard, "See if we can find your red barn and hopefully Phil, if he still remembers me we can shoot the breeze" I laugh but there's nothing humorous in that laugh.
"Speaking of shooting, still got your guns?"

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:09 pm
by BenTheRat
Ms. Patton refills Aunt Loosa's tea. "Yes, please let me know if you need anything. It's late tonight, might I suggest heading out tomorrow morning. You could drive, its probably only a 3-4 hour drive, or you can take the train. I've heard they have real good public transportation up there. I looked into going there for a vacation a couple summers back." She goes back to her task of making sure everyone's drinks are good, and that everyone has eaten something.
Dr. Chambers comes back into the room, "This confirms my suspicions. Each of the sightings of this strange celestial event Sunday have slightly different numbers to them. From California, to Princeton in New Jersey to Europe, and even Brazil. This means it's too close to us. It was closer than the moon by the time anyone saw it. Using these numbers we have been able to triangulate where the celestial object was headed." He pauses for just a second, everyone already knew what was coming next. "Somewhere in the North East United States. It looks like you guys are looking for a falling star. Good luck team."

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:16 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott's brow knits itself together furiously as he tries to connect the seemingly unrelated events together.

"I can't say the relationship between this statue's theft and an astrological event is completely apparent to me." he says to the rest of the group, "But at least whatever we're looking for should be easy enough to find. I would recommend we reconvene early tomorrow morning..."

He glances down at his wristwatch.

"...the earlier the better. If we're going to be searching for fallen stars, it might help to have as much daylight as possible. How does 5am suit everyone?"

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:00 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard answers Scott "Lets meet here at 5am then. Miss Patton would you be able to arrange train tickets for the first train leaving tomorrow? And maybe set us up with a hotel and some maps of the area, we will probably need to know where there is a local library in town and maybe any historical societies that exsist there as I believe the town has been there as long as our great country has been here."

Richard then walks over to where Alyssa is scribbling in her notebook and sits down next to her. As he looks down at what she is writing he smiles to himself and speaks in a calm soothing voice to her "Alyssa I am assuming that you are some type of reporter or photographer correct? I have one simple request if you write anything about what we are setting out to do, you do not use me in any pictures and you do not use my real name if you speak of me in your writing, you are welcome to use a 'ghost' name for me if you must but I prefer to not be in the headlines of any papers or articles." he continues to smile at her as he looks her directly in the eyes trying to read weather or not he can trust the promise he is about to request her to make and once again calmingly looks her in her eyes and repeats "Do I have your promise on this?"

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:05 pm
by Papa Gateau
Aunt Loosa takes the tea from Ms. Patton

Thank you she smiles.

You know, I only came up here to look for Sonny. And he's no longer here. she glances quickly at his portrait and for a brief moment, the pain she feels at his loss is revealed in her eyes.

I'm just an old lady, chasing stars is the work of young folk. It's been a pleasure to meet you all, particularly those that had made acquaintance with Sonny but I don't feel that this is any business of mine.

I thank you for your hospitality but I feel I am needed more back In New Orleans.

I wish you all good luck and every success

with that she takes a sip of her tea, smiles at you all individually and begins to gather her and Sonny's things.

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:55 pm
by DetectiveSocks
Despite Richard's disturbing face riddled with scars and burns, Alyssa studied his face with fascination that shined brightly in her eyes. If anything, his warnings and self-preservation made him seem more interesting than the rest of the group. Every man has expressed worries and concerns for their health, except Richard and his extremely sangfroid composure and stoic manners. Secrets Richard wanted to keep yet his scars was proof there was history behind it. It was as if he was baptize by fire and transformed into a hero, a lone wolf, and stands alone as stone. A knight who has had his mettle truly tested. Alyssa has a sinking suspicion that Richard lets on more than others believe of him, treats others better than he treats himself, and always keeping to himself. No man is an island entire of itself, free to the scrutiny of the press.

Yet the only thing that impressed Alyssa, was Richard's habit of drinking tequila as easy as milk. "I will not betray your confidence love," As Alyssa gives an alluring wink.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:23 am
by DrVendetta
"I thank you for that Alyssa. Trust is an imporatant thing in life and it is rarely ever earned again once broken." Richard says to Alyssa as he smiles and nods at her response. Richard was pleasently surprised that Alyssa managed to look him in the eye without the normal look of disgust of most people when they have to try to look past his face to see his eyes. He noticed how she took his face in inquisically while making eye contact.

Richard then looks over to Norman and says "If you have a few minutes before you leave tonight Norman I can bring you up to date on the history of The Chapel and our Friend The Reverand, Phil and Corbitt just so you have the background information you need. If you need any help with the research I know my way around the library and hall of records as well."

Richard stands and responds to Warren's earlier original question about his guns with a calm smile "You know I never leave home without them"

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:49 am
by BenTheRat
Dr. Chambers walks over to Aunt Loosa and puts his hand on hers. "I thought you wanted to know what Sonny had gotten into. Make no mistake, the same people behind what killed Sonny are the same people behind this. I think the evidence of Phil or the rev being involved is very high. I think they could use someone with your expertise."

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:55 am
by DrVendetta
Dr Chambers saying 'someone with your expertise' to Aunt Loosa strikes something in his memory, Richard quietly ask "What is your expertise Loosa?"

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:11 am
by tj5000
"well I will be there bright and early. I've come this far and I dont feel as if I would be able to et a single goodnights rest knowing that those things we faced may still be out there in the night."

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"5:00 in the morning works for me," says Eddie. "I'll just have to turn in early and get some coffee when I wake up. I would like to hear about the background too, though. I do have a car, so it might be good to bring it along. That'll make it easier for us to get around town once we're there."

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:20 am
by Silver Priest
"Thank you, uh, Richard. That would be quite helpful. I doubt I'll need any help, with research, as it is something of a skill of mine. But the company would be appreciated all the same.
Ben,Given he works at the library, would Norman be able to get inside it early and do some research a few hours before meeting back up with everyone?

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:59 am
by BenTheRat
silver priest,yes he could but you would be really tired, also please post your name in your posts. With 8 characters its hard to keep track of who is who.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:01 am
by DetectiveSocks
"I'm willing to carpool if... I mean," Alyssa caught herself midway through her sentence, "It's not much, but I do drive a motorcycle with a sidecar if anyone is interested."

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:08 am
by Papa Gateau
Aunt Loosa smiles back at Dr. Chambers

Really? Maybe I'm not so old as to be chasing after stars, after all.

And the idea of riding around in a motor-cycle side-car does sound quite exciting!
there is a definite twinkle in her eye as she looks over to Alyssa

She looks Richard in the eye as she addresses his question I'm the priestess, some might say wise woman, of my church in New Orleans. I parlay with the spirits and provide help and support for those that need it in my community.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:16 am
by DetectiveSocks
With a pleasant surprise on Alyssa's face, "I would love to have you Aunt Loosa." Alyssa isn't quite sure why she's following along her logic, calling her aunt, as Alyssa acclimatize to her good hearted nature. Alyssa never had any family, only Jordie was her sister even if they weren't bonded by blood.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:24 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I move toward the door, picking up my hat as I go, "So 5am then?"
As I put my hat on and gently tilt the brim over my eyes I turn to Mrs Patton, "I know its late Mrs P, but is there any chance of some shells for my .45? I've a feeling we might need them"
Memories of the last MAPS outing springs unbidden to mind.

As I opoen the door I say, without turning, "I have room in my car for a couple"

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:10 pm
by jbibblesworth
Scott strides towards Warren as he exits, his hand gravitating to his medical bag and the old .45 concealed within.

"Better double up on that order Mrs. Patton." he says, patting his bag. He turns to Warren. "I'll ride up with you."

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:20 pm
by Papa Gateau
Thank you my dear Aunt Loosa smiles fondly at Alyssa

I'm staying at a guest house not far from here, it's nice but a little expensive. If anyone knows of somewhere I could stay that is a little more modest in price- I don't need much, just a clean room and polite company.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:28 pm
by Silver Priest
Norman thinks for a moment before speaking. "I would be able to get into the library even at this late hour. It might be best to do some research now and see if we can't find some uh, pertinent information on Rockport before we arrive there. Though I would ask for a ride. I tend to get greatly absorbed in my books, and will likely be tired tomorrow morning." He says this last part almost sheepishly.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:16 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard sits across from Norman and starts to go over all the details of his original research on the Chapel and Corbitt to Norman and anyone else that is still there and wishes to listen in

"Ok back in 1852 Walter Corbitt was sued by his neighbors for practicing witchcraft and cunducting occult rituals." Richard pulls out his pad of notes and then continues "The case number was 54729 and the case file was F32-856-12 for the main case and then there were these two related case numbers (Richard gives the case numbers for those). The first case the was dismissed due to lack of evidence and the court being unwilling to believe that witchcraft was real. However, it gave a warning to Mr.Corbitt to stop trying to practice witchcraft when it obviously didn't exist. The second case was the neighbors against Corbitt's estate trying to prevent him from being buried in the basement of the house, they won the case but clearly he ended up being buried there based on what we found in the basement. The 3rd case was in February of 1912 and it involved the raid on the Chapel of Contemplation & Church of Our Lord Granter of Secrets. I couldnt find any names in this case with the exception of the Reverand Michael Thomas. The police ended up getting a warrant to raid the Chapel after some complaints about people hearing children screaming inside the Chapel. The police show up, there was a HUGE shootout that ends with a big explosion and fire. 17 people were killed including 3 cops. All in all 54 people were arrested including the Reverand, but all but 8 of them ended up being released. The weird part of it though, is that only the Reverand ever went to trial. There was alot of squak from a cop named O'mally (Richard looks up at Eddie to see if he recgonizes the name if he is still there listening) about some illegal pressure being made to drop the whole thing. Basically the whole thing got swept under the carpet with the exception of the Reverands trial. He ended up going to jail but he managed to escaped from jail. The Chapel was located at 6 Hale street."

Richard sits back in his chair and looks Norman over "Thats the history I know of the events"

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:20 am
by Silver Priest
Norman takes Richard's explanation in. "How odd. I've lived in Boston my entire life, and I don't recall any of this. The church must have had powerful members if they could avoid any of this going to press. You've mentioned you encountered this Reverend? Do you believe he's the man behind this theft? I must say, his church sounds like none I have ever encountered.

"What about this Phil? Was he also a member of the church??"

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll give you a ride," Eddie tells Norman. He listens with interest to Richard's account. "So that's what happened at the Chapel. The name O'Mally sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't remember exactly where I heard of him. If this Reverend Thomas is alive somehow, we've got to stop him. He must be responsible for this whole mess."

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:39 am
by DrVendetta
Richard listens to Phil's questions and Eddies response then continues "We were invesigating the old Chapel site when we got jumped by the Reverand and his lacky Tom. I shot the Revrerand square in the chest at very close range after I recovered from that vodo magic he threw at me that filled my lungs with water, the shock of the bullett threw him back against a tree and he slumped to the ground lifeless, at least I thought. I believe Jordie (Richard looks up toher picture as her mentions her name) checked his body after we finished his helper Tom the albino off as well, and I believe that she believed that he was dead also. Phil was there and he went off on the Reverands body when he came up screaming about the Reverand kidnapping his little sister approximatley 10 years earlier. We got him calmed down when we had to run across the old Chapel lot to the others because of the rukus going on over there. After Jordie helped Warren who had been stabbed by the Reverand over to the other side of the lot where the rest of us were, Phil placed a manakin next to Toms body and lite them on fire and made off with the Reverands body. He wanted us to think that he had burned both bodies then ran away, but he dragged and the body off and took off before we could catch him. By the way Phil worked at the paper and had some pull there I believe so he could have helped to supress the story of the Chapel raid in the papers, but everything with Phil is unsubstantiated with the exception of him making off with the Reverands body."

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:54 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine:

I put my hand to the door handle and answer Scott without looking round, "Yeah that's fine, pick you up here at 5am, or your place?"

Suddenly, as Richard describes the events at the site of the old Chapel I am back there again. Screams, gunshots, pain and those grasping tentacles reaching from the ground, reaching, searching then squeezing. I shudder and shake my head to clear the spell.
"Phil was the lead reporter on the investgation into the Corbitt house back in 1918. According to sources, the story was sqaushed by some unknown hand. Phil later claimed that his sister had been taken by the reverend and his friends, which he said was the reason for his interest in both house and chapel. But after his disappearance with the body it was anyone's guess to the real reasons"

My hand shakes slightly on the handle, "I tried to find out more information on the 1918 article and who pulled the plug, but by then I had become a dirty name to my former colleagues"

I turn my head and half glance back at the others, "Yep, working with Dr Chambers and MAPS sure does change your life...and not always for the better"

My eyes shoot a last glance at the pictures hanging on the wall.

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:14 pm
by Silver Priest
"Thank you officer." Norman gives Eddie an appreciate nod. It boosted the librarian's confidence that a policeman was around. At least this meant he was unlikely to get in trouble with the authorities, a prospect he loathed more than any monster.

"It all does sound like this, uh, Phil is involved." At Warren's response, he seems visibly uncomfortable. MAPS did not seem to work out well for anyone.

He looked around at the diverse group, it giving him some confidence. The Doctor had obviously recruited from a variety of backgrounds. Perhaps together they'd have a chance.

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:52 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   I'll be leaving this thread open in case I left a question unanswered please ask again. Otherwise, please go to this thread to continue:
posting.php?mode=post&f=308

How many cars are you taking in addition to Alysa's motorcycle?  

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Please, call me Eddie," Eddie tells Norman. "It's no sweat."
OOC,I'll be bringing one of the cars, a Ford Model T. It can seat up to 5, not counting the running boards.

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:57 am
by DetectiveSocks
With the discussions beginning to dry up, Alyssa excuses herself from the room and looks back to everyone else, "It was lovely meeting you all, have a good night." With a small smile of optimism, Alyssa exits out the room with reignited eagerness.