IC: Ch1. The Lounge

August 1921, Boston.
A dead guard at the abandoned chapel, a stolen statue revealing strange numbers and a burnt postcard. A strange night sighting by a Harvard professor only 2 days later has led to too many coincidences to ignore.
Dr. Chambers is forming another MAPS team, and you have been called.

Moderator: BenTheRat

DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 6 months

Re: IC: Ch1. The Lounge

Post by DetectiveSocks »

Despite Richard's disturbing face riddled with scars and burns, Alyssa studied his face with fascination that shined brightly in her eyes. If anything, his warnings and self-preservation made him seem more interesting than the rest of the group. Every man has expressed worries and concerns for their health, except Richard and his extremely sangfroid composure and stoic manners. Secrets Richard wanted to keep yet his scars was proof there was history behind it. It was as if he was baptize by fire and transformed into a hero, a lone wolf, and stands alone as stone. A knight who has had his mettle truly tested. Alyssa has a sinking suspicion that Richard lets on more than others believe of him, treats others better than he treats himself, and always keeping to himself. No man is an island entire of itself, free to the scrutiny of the press.

Yet the only thing that impressed Alyssa, was Richard's habit of drinking tequila as easy as milk. "I will not betray your confidence love," As Alyssa gives an alluring wink.
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by DrVendetta »

"I thank you for that Alyssa. Trust is an imporatant thing in life and it is rarely ever earned again once broken." Richard says to Alyssa as he smiles and nods at her response. Richard was pleasently surprised that Alyssa managed to look him in the eye without the normal look of disgust of most people when they have to try to look past his face to see his eyes. He noticed how she took his face in inquisically while making eye contact.

Richard then looks over to Norman and says "If you have a few minutes before you leave tonight Norman I can bring you up to date on the history of The Chapel and our Friend The Reverand, Phil and Corbitt just so you have the background information you need. If you need any help with the research I know my way around the library and hall of records as well."

Richard stands and responds to Warren's earlier original question about his guns with a calm smile "You know I never leave home without them"
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

Dr. Chambers walks over to Aunt Loosa and puts his hand on hers. "I thought you wanted to know what Sonny had gotten into. Make no mistake, the same people behind what killed Sonny are the same people behind this. I think the evidence of Phil or the rev being involved is very high. I think they could use someone with your expertise."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Dr Chambers saying 'someone with your expertise' to Aunt Loosa strikes something in his memory, Richard quietly ask "What is your expertise Loosa?"
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
tj5000
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by tj5000 »

"well I will be there bright and early. I've come this far and I dont feel as if I would be able to et a single goodnights rest knowing that those things we faced may still be out there in the night."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"5:00 in the morning works for me," says Eddie. "I'll just have to turn in early and get some coffee when I wake up. I would like to hear about the background too, though. I do have a car, so it might be good to bring it along. That'll make it easier for us to get around town once we're there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"Thank you, uh, Richard. That would be quite helpful. I doubt I'll need any help, with research, as it is something of a skill of mine. But the company would be appreciated all the same.
Ben,Given he works at the library, would Norman be able to get inside it early and do some research a few hours before meeting back up with everyone?
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

silver priest,yes he could but you would be really tired, also please post your name in your posts. With 8 characters its hard to keep track of who is who.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept

Post by DetectiveSocks »

"I'm willing to carpool if... I mean," Alyssa caught herself midway through her sentence, "It's not much, but I do drive a motorcycle with a sidecar if anyone is interested."
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Aunt Loosa smiles back at Dr. Chambers

Really? Maybe I'm not so old as to be chasing after stars, after all.

And the idea of riding around in a motor-cycle side-car does sound quite exciting!
there is a definite twinkle in her eye as she looks over to Alyssa

She looks Richard in the eye as she addresses his question I'm the priestess, some might say wise woman, of my church in New Orleans. I parlay with the spirits and provide help and support for those that need it in my community.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept

Post by DetectiveSocks »

With a pleasant surprise on Alyssa's face, "I would love to have you Aunt Loosa." Alyssa isn't quite sure why she's following along her logic, calling her aunt, as Alyssa acclimatize to her good hearted nature. Alyssa never had any family, only Jordie was her sister even if they weren't bonded by blood.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

I move toward the door, picking up my hat as I go, "So 5am then?"
As I put my hat on and gently tilt the brim over my eyes I turn to Mrs Patton, "I know its late Mrs P, but is there any chance of some shells for my .45? I've a feeling we might need them"
Memories of the last MAPS outing springs unbidden to mind.

As I opoen the door I say, without turning, "I have room in my car for a couple"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by jbibblesworth »

Scott strides towards Warren as he exits, his hand gravitating to his medical bag and the old .45 concealed within.

"Better double up on that order Mrs. Patton." he says, patting his bag. He turns to Warren. "I'll ride up with you."
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Thank you my dear Aunt Loosa smiles fondly at Alyssa

I'm staying at a guest house not far from here, it's nice but a little expensive. If anyone knows of somewhere I could stay that is a little more modest in price- I don't need much, just a clean room and polite company.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Norman thinks for a moment before speaking. "I would be able to get into the library even at this late hour. It might be best to do some research now and see if we can't find some uh, pertinent information on Rockport before we arrive there. Though I would ask for a ride. I tend to get greatly absorbed in my books, and will likely be tired tomorrow morning." He says this last part almost sheepishly.
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard sits across from Norman and starts to go over all the details of his original research on the Chapel and Corbitt to Norman and anyone else that is still there and wishes to listen in

"Ok back in 1852 Walter Corbitt was sued by his neighbors for practicing witchcraft and cunducting occult rituals." Richard pulls out his pad of notes and then continues "The case number was 54729 and the case file was F32-856-12 for the main case and then there were these two related case numbers (Richard gives the case numbers for those). The first case the was dismissed due to lack of evidence and the court being unwilling to believe that witchcraft was real. However, it gave a warning to Mr.Corbitt to stop trying to practice witchcraft when it obviously didn't exist. The second case was the neighbors against Corbitt's estate trying to prevent him from being buried in the basement of the house, they won the case but clearly he ended up being buried there based on what we found in the basement. The 3rd case was in February of 1912 and it involved the raid on the Chapel of Contemplation & Church of Our Lord Granter of Secrets. I couldnt find any names in this case with the exception of the Reverand Michael Thomas. The police ended up getting a warrant to raid the Chapel after some complaints about people hearing children screaming inside the Chapel. The police show up, there was a HUGE shootout that ends with a big explosion and fire. 17 people were killed including 3 cops. All in all 54 people were arrested including the Reverand, but all but 8 of them ended up being released. The weird part of it though, is that only the Reverand ever went to trial. There was alot of squak from a cop named O'mally (Richard looks up at Eddie to see if he recgonizes the name if he is still there listening) about some illegal pressure being made to drop the whole thing. Basically the whole thing got swept under the carpet with the exception of the Reverands trial. He ended up going to jail but he managed to escaped from jail. The Chapel was located at 6 Hale street."

Richard sits back in his chair and looks Norman over "Thats the history I know of the events"
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Norman takes Richard's explanation in. "How odd. I've lived in Boston my entire life, and I don't recall any of this. The church must have had powerful members if they could avoid any of this going to press. You've mentioned you encountered this Reverend? Do you believe he's the man behind this theft? I must say, his church sounds like none I have ever encountered.

"What about this Phil? Was he also a member of the church??"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll give you a ride," Eddie tells Norman. He listens with interest to Richard's account. "So that's what happened at the Chapel. The name O'Mally sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't remember exactly where I heard of him. If this Reverend Thomas is alive somehow, we've got to stop him. He must be responsible for this whole mess."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard listens to Phil's questions and Eddies response then continues "We were invesigating the old Chapel site when we got jumped by the Reverand and his lacky Tom. I shot the Revrerand square in the chest at very close range after I recovered from that vodo magic he threw at me that filled my lungs with water, the shock of the bullett threw him back against a tree and he slumped to the ground lifeless, at least I thought. I believe Jordie (Richard looks up toher picture as her mentions her name) checked his body after we finished his helper Tom the albino off as well, and I believe that she believed that he was dead also. Phil was there and he went off on the Reverands body when he came up screaming about the Reverand kidnapping his little sister approximatley 10 years earlier. We got him calmed down when we had to run across the old Chapel lot to the others because of the rukus going on over there. After Jordie helped Warren who had been stabbed by the Reverand over to the other side of the lot where the rest of us were, Phil placed a manakin next to Toms body and lite them on fire and made off with the Reverands body. He wanted us to think that he had burned both bodies then ran away, but he dragged and the body off and took off before we could catch him. By the way Phil worked at the paper and had some pull there I believe so he could have helped to supress the story of the Chapel raid in the papers, but everything with Phil is unsubstantiated with the exception of him making off with the Reverands body."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

I put my hand to the door handle and answer Scott without looking round, "Yeah that's fine, pick you up here at 5am, or your place?"

Suddenly, as Richard describes the events at the site of the old Chapel I am back there again. Screams, gunshots, pain and those grasping tentacles reaching from the ground, reaching, searching then squeezing. I shudder and shake my head to clear the spell.
"Phil was the lead reporter on the investgation into the Corbitt house back in 1918. According to sources, the story was sqaushed by some unknown hand. Phil later claimed that his sister had been taken by the reverend and his friends, which he said was the reason for his interest in both house and chapel. But after his disappearance with the body it was anyone's guess to the real reasons"

My hand shakes slightly on the handle, "I tried to find out more information on the 1918 article and who pulled the plug, but by then I had become a dirty name to my former colleagues"

I turn my head and half glance back at the others, "Yep, working with Dr Chambers and MAPS sure does change your life...and not always for the better"

My eyes shoot a last glance at the pictures hanging on the wall.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin

Return to “A Star on the Shore”