IC: Ch1. The Lounge

August 1921, Boston.
A dead guard at the abandoned chapel, a stolen statue revealing strange numbers and a burnt postcard. A strange night sighting by a Harvard professor only 2 days later has led to too many coincidences to ignore.
Dr. Chambers is forming another MAPS team, and you have been called.

Moderator: BenTheRat

jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Re: IC: Ch1. The Lounge

Post by jbibblesworth »

Scott produces the neatly folded bit of paper from his interior coat pocket and waves it accusingly before him.

"'A break-in at the Chapel' it said." he quotes, "I imagine he's referring to that old place you all checked out prior to finding the old Corbitt place? What was it called? The Chapel of Meditation?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

I find a cigarette box on the table and help myself.
"Break in? Yeah that confused me as far as I remember the chapel had been reduced to rubble by the earlier explosion."
I light the cigarette and take a big drag,
"Unless of course he meant the cellar into which some of you fell that night?"
For a moment I could hear the screaming and gunfire in my mind.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Norman looks disappointed that he won't get to hear of the group's past experiences, but Warren's cryptic answer seems to unnerve him. Smiling weakly, he finishes off his drink, carefully listening as the others discuss a break in.
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by DrVendetta »

" Well the cellar had that altar in it with a skeleton still chained to it, and that book was found down there as well. Who know what else could have been down there if a more though search could have been done. Also lets not forget that Phil made off with the Reverands body from there and we never did hear from him again and the Reverand clearly had an interest in the Chapel, I am still not sure how Phil figured into all of it though but I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up being tied back into this again." says Richard as he finishes up his food.
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by BenTheRat »

Ms. Patton stands at the entryway with one of Boston's police officers. "I'm sorry sir, what was your name?" she asks the policeman.
Eddie,Inside the room you can see the 4 men, eating and drinking. It's obviously alcohol.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

It has been five months since Alyssa has seen Jordie, her last memories of Jordie, was having a lovely luncheon on a patio deck that faced Charles River. Planning a road trip towards the West coast for the summer holiday.

Upon arrival at the Fine Arts Museum, Alyssa made her way towards the back in uneasy apprehension. She clenched the strap of her camera bag with cautious posture, the heels of her boots giving away her footsteps. As Alyssa reached the back, she saw a police officer of short stature and an old woman in the doorframe. Despite the short stature, the police officer looked like he could drink motor oil and breathe flames no problem. He looked familiar, Alyssa wondered if she had seen him at the Norman Street Massacre Vigil?

"I don't suppose this is Room 105b?" Alyssa's nervous voice betraying her confidence.
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

I grimace the memories flooding back, "Phil, yeah never did find where that bastard went. Looked for a while, but it was hard since I'd kinda burnt my bridges with the paper and Jen."

A pleasant memory surfaces and I smile, "Jen...I went freelance had a couple of articles published by the Globe. Tried to speak to her find out is she'd heard anything, but she hadn't niether had Joe the photographer. That was a while back, got the feeling that I was persona non gratis with all of them"

I shrug, "Still that's life, they never even sent me a get well card while I was in hospital"

I raise my glass and take a sip of the liquid.
Warren thinking:   Better take it easy, this could be a long night  
Mrs Patton's voice from the doorway makes me turn, "Jesus, a cop!!"
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by BenTheRat »

Alyssa,as you ask the lady and police officer moved away from you, obviously not hearing you. You follow them into the clean office and then into the hall and catch up to them. You see 4 gentlemen in the room eating and drinking, the police officer, and Ms. Patton. You have seen her before at the Corbitt house.
Ms. Patton turns and sees you for the first time. "Oh, I'm sorry dear, I didn't see you there. My name is Ms. Patton. I'll let the gentlemen introduce themselves." noticing you're holding the newpaper article and your slightly confused look. "Yes deary, this is 105b, you are in the right place. I know I've seen you before, have we met?" she asks.
OOC:   Everyone please introduce yourselves and give a slight description of yourself.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Post by jbibblesworth »

Scott blinks dumbly through the soupy haze his mind has become as a result of the drinks. He'd already consumed more this evening than he had in the previous six months totaled.

Still, his senses returning, he hoists himself up off the ottoman upon which he had sat and looks towards the new arrival.

"Evening." he nods. "Scott Bowen at your service."

The young man sports a boyish face with soft features that seems to harden around a pair of pale-green eyes that often appear troubled and distant. His once wild mop of curly black hair has been cropped short, a carryover from his military service. His time as a stevedore has added some bulk to his frame, and overall he gives the impression of a stoic physicality. He is dressed neatly, but unassumingly, in a simple pair of worn linen trousers and a matching two-button coat.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:
I look beyond the cop to see who Mrs Patton is talking to.
The old lady is right there is something about the dame peeping over the cop's shoulder that is vaguely familiar.
"Uh, I'm Warren free lance journalist and part time spook hunter" I want to laugh but the joke doesn't seem that funny, "Pleased to meet you all...I think"
OOC:   Warren is in his early thirties, although his eyes seem much older. He has a scar, a souvenir from the war in France down the left side of his face and he has a tendency to favour his left chest and shoulder. Perhaps another scar.  
- Anais Nin
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

Alyssa wipes her cold clammy hands on her trousers and reaches out to shake each of the mans hand, her camera bag still clenched in front of her. "Pleasure to meet you," Alyssa gave a brief pause to the handshake, her collar getting tighter. "Miss Ryan," her voice picking up composure, as she shakes both Warren and Scott, squinting her eye in suspicion.

Setting foot inside the lavishly decorated lounge, Alyssa's hair flowed pale gold with signs of brunette in her roots, an evidence of priorities five months ago. At an arms length, Alyssa has an earthly scent with notes of honey, spice, cedar wood, and that heavy smell of musk. Subtle enough to be close and intimate, yet not loud enough that announces her. For the distinction and price of $49.95, of a perfume bottle the size of a table salt shaker.

In the corner of Alyssa's eyes, a picture of Jordie is displayed on the wall like a trophy, startling Alyssa.
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Norman's eyes go wide as the other men casually mention bodies and skeletons. He seems about to say something, but the mention of a cop has him dropping his drink. "I...I wasn't..." He's a tall, thin man with a receding hairline and thick glasses. His eyes dart between the new arrivals nervously.
Once it seems likely he's not about to be arrested, he relaxes,which for the average person would still be considered rather nervous.

"Norman Smith. Good to meet you b...both."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The name's Eddie Donovan," says Eddie, looking around at the faces of the people here to see if he recognizes any of them from Norman Street. He is somewhat shorter than average, but very muscular regardless. He wears his Boston police uniform, which is in pristine condition. His black hair pokes out from under his uniform cap, and he has intense hazel eyes that are studying everyone here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

"Richard Rahl here" says Richard in a soothingly calm voice, when the new arrivals look over to him and start to take in his facial scars and he starts to see the look of shock in their eyes he slowly turns to refill his tequlia and continues with his soothing voice "a cop and a photojurnalist, at least that is my assumption from the camera bag" Richard walks over and adds a few more pieces of food to his plate as he is talking, not making eye contact with the new arrivals to give them a few seconds to take in his shockingly scared facial features to help them get past the awkwardness of speaking to a man with a face such as his "I am curious how did the two of you hear about this little get together tonight?" after retriving the additonal food Richard returns to his seat at the bar.

As Richard stands and walks over to the table where the food is laid out and gathers some food onto his plate you see that Richard has jet black hair and is 6 feet tall and weighs a solid 200lbs. He clearly looks like he could handle himself if it came to that, but his voice is calm and very soothing coming from a man with probably the worst facial scars that you have ever seen. Something about the calm and soothing voice that he speaks with and the way he carries himself, ensuring that he gives you clear views of his facial features without making eye contact to see the shock in your eyes that help put you at ease with his facial features.
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"A lot of legwork," says Eddie, showing the newspaper clipping he holds. "It all led me to this classified ad. I'm just going to assume that everything you're drinking was already here before the Volstead Act went into effect. What's important to me is to find out why so many of my friends are dead. Sam was on the force so long he was my grandfather's partner, and he'd been all set to retire in a few weeks. And Jimmy was just a kid, fresh out of the academy." Eddie's eyes moisten, and he has to fight to keep the tears back. "I can still see their faces, hear their voices. Sure, it's a dangerous job, and you know that death could be waiting for you at any time, but you don't expect to lose so many all on one day..."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

I watch as Richard carries on heaping food on a plate. Kind of reminds me how long its been since I last ate. I look at my half full glass of Southern Comfort, and shrug. Like Richard I cross to the table and pick up a plate.
As the voice of the cop, Eddie, reaches my ears, I shrug and grimace, "Yeah, heard that a lot of times in France too"
Instantly I regret saying it. It wasn't meant to sound as hurtful as it probably did. I cover my embarassment by forking a large slab of ham onto my plate, "I'd like to help officer but I was laid up in hospital at the time. However I lost someone I was starting to care about there, so I understand how you feel. There are many questions yet to be answered, but I've no doubt that once the prof arrives things will get clearer" I say the word 'clearer' in a way that the prof's arrival might do anything but.

"Pleased to meet you, Miss...Ryan was it?" I catch the strange look she sends towards the photos, "Recognise any of them?"
- Anais Nin
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

An elderly black lady walks into the room. She is well dressed, if a little bizarrely. She walks with an ebony cane and carries a large canvas apothecary bag. Her eyes are bright and quizzical as she looks around the room and at each person in turn.

When her eyes fall on Richard and his scarring, she holds his gaze a little longer, her face showing no change in emotion, before moving on.

Which of you fine folks might be Dr. Chambers? - her voice has a strength to it that belies her years, it's a voice that it soft and gentle in tone but one that expects to be obeyed, like that of a favourite school teacher - a steel fist in a velvet glove.

Come come, don't be shy - show yourself, I don't bite! Well, not often! - she smiles, a big broad smile that seems vaguely familiar to some of the others in the room.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard smiles at the elderly lady as he notices that his facial scarring does not faze her emotionally at all. "Dr. Chambers has yet to arrive, my name is Richard, and we are all here waiting on him to arrive. What might be your name if I may ask?"[/b] Richard ask is a relaxed tone.
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Luisa Goodman, though most folk call me Aunt Loosa she turns her gaze back to Richard.

I'm sorry to intrude on your happy little gathering but I'm glad to hear Dr. Chambers is due, I'm hoping he can help me find my nephew, apparently he helped Sonny find some good paying work. He's a good boy and would write me regularly but I haven't had a letter from him for several months and I have a terrible feeling he may be in some kind of danger.

Still, that's none of your concern, I'm probably just fussing over nothing
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard frowns as he hears Lusia mention Sonny, knowing that her heart is about to be broken "Please have a seat and make yourself comfortable Aunt Loosa, I am sure that Dr Chambers will be along shortly" Richard wonders if she will notice the picture of Sonny on the wall, Sonny was a good guy just trying to earn some extra money, he had been polite and courtious to all. God what a mess that turned into.

Return to “A Star on the Shore”