IC: Ch1. The Lounge

August 1921, Boston.
A dead guard at the abandoned chapel, a stolen statue revealing strange numbers and a burnt postcard. A strange night sighting by a Harvard professor only 2 days later has led to too many coincidences to ignore.
Dr. Chambers is forming another MAPS team, and you have been called.

Moderator: BenTheRat

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Re: IC: Ch1. The Lounge

Post by BenTheRat »

Dr. Chambers smiles for the first time tonight, "Correct, we do not believe the body was moved, and the only person alive other than the few of us in this room that new about the chapel was???" he lets the question hang waiting for a response.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

I nod at the docs words, "Phil!! He's back, well okay"
Warren thinking:   like crap he had to surface at some time  
"Hang on a minute, what about Joe the photographer for the Globe, he was there with Phil that night"
I think about it for a minute then shake my head, "No he wouldn't have the balls to return to that place. It has to be Phil...I wonder if he's still got that place over on Howard Street, might be the last place he would expect anyone to come looking for him"
I look over at Richard, "Fancy a little trip to pay our respects?"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard's eyes seem to have become a few shades darker as all the conversation of the past events are rehashed " 'alta spirare' I will never forget those words.... thats what the Reverand said before he shattered something on the ground and then my lungs filled with water and I almost drowned, god that was a horrible feeling. I am sure that is what killed your guard the questions is who was able to do that to him?" Richard ponders a few thoughts in his mind then continues "I believe you are right about Phil though Warren, we all thought the Reverand was dead, but maybe he wasnt when Phil dragged him away." a somber pale look comes over Richards face as he looks out at everyone "Or worst yet Phil has managed to find a way to bring the Reverand back from the Dead, after the Corbit incident I do believe anything is possible" Richard brings his thoughts back to Phil and he continues "Based on the research I dug up on the whole church and what was going on there I believe that Phil was connected to the church in some way, there was never alot of news in the papers about any of it and Phil would have had the ability to help supress it in the papers when you think about it."

Richard takes another sip of his Tequila and responds to Warrens request "I really don't think Joe is involved but he would be the best place to start to try to find a lead on Phil though"

Richard turning to look at Dr Chambers "So what are your thoughts on Phil Doc? What do you know about Phil? You have had to do some digging yourself since you know Phil was the only other one who new about the church"
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Aunt Loosa's voice calms Eddie down, and he feels as though she is his own aunt, perhaps everybody's aunt in some way. "If I hadn't seen for myself what happened, I probably wouldn't have believed any of this," he says. "But I saw a man - if it was a man - take dozens of bullets without so much as flinching while he massacred everyone around him. Nearly killed me too. I don't know where he got that kind of power, but things like that have to be stopped. I swore to serve and protect the people of Boston, and now it seems they need protection from things they don't have the slightest inkling of. You can be sure I'll do what I can. This ruined chapel...I think I heard something about that. There was some sort of big police raid on what was called the Chapel of Contemplation back in 1912. I was a rookie that year, and while I wasn't part of the raid, Sam and my dad mentioned it. I don't know much about it though, only that there were dozens of arrests and then nothing more was heard about it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

This wasn't some secret VIP hotspot of Boston with the finest bootlegged liquor you can find. Alyssa suddenly realized she had walked into a secret society, as she glanced at the wall of pictures again with Jordie, stretching as far back as the 18th century. This would make a great headline story, Alyssa had thought to herself, but who would believe her? Even with the right proof, she wouldn't even know how to go about doing so. Especially what she saw last night if only her camera had worked, visiting Corbitt's House more often than she'd like to drink.

"If the body hasn't been moved, it seems the guard must've dry drowned? Am I to be mistaken Dr. Chambers?" As each minute is getting stranger and stranger, gripping Alyssa's imagination.
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"No Alyssa, there were still evidence of the salt water in his mouth and on his suit." Dr. Chambers responds, "As for Joe, it seems he moved to Chicago soon after someone on the team scared the crap out of him. He works for the Tribune out there now. He was working a political fund raiser last Friday." He sets his glass down an plucks a grape and eats it.
Dr. Chambers fixes a small plate of fruits and meats for himself. "That isn't all, a strange message was on the base of the statue that was left behind. We never saw it because the statue was on top of it. But etched into the base it said, 'For True Enlightenment', then it has a math problem '42.66 x 70.62.' Of course that equals 3012.65 by none of my staff can figure out how that number relates to anything. Any thoughts?"
Alyssa,that incident happened 6 nights ago, Friday night. The same night Dr. Chambers is referring to for the breakin at the Chaple
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Post by jbibblesworth »

Scott ponders the numbers for a moment before tapping his chin.

"Perhaps it's not an equation. Perhaps they're geographical coordinates?" he suggests.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

I perk up at Scott's sugestion, "Have we got access to a decent map of the world?"
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

The doctor smiles, "Ahh, old age is adling my brain, perhaps." he walks over to a panel that slides to the side. Underneath are all types of maps, that pull down. He pulls down one it is of Africa, he pulls and it rolls back up. Then pulls down one of the world.
ooc all,use whatever map of the World if you wish.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by jbibblesworth »

Scott stands and approaches one of the larger maps representing the Eastern Seaboard of the United States and carefully traces the longitude and latitude lines to their intersect points.

His fingertip rests on a thin section of land that protrudes from the eastern most section of Massachusetts into the Atlantic Ocean. A word is obscured by his finger and he pulls it back to read it.

"Rockport, Massachusetts?" he says aloud.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

I walk over to the map and look closely at it,
"What the hell is in Rockport?"
- Anais Nin
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by jbibblesworth »

Scott shrugs passively and thrusts his hands into the back pockets of his trousers.

"True enlightenment maybe?" he quips, rocking back and forth on the balls of his feet.
tj5000
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by tj5000 »

Charles Francis

Charles Francis walks up the address indicated in his invitation. He does not yet know why his assistance has been requested but he figures it has got to be better then distracting his mind and time with his various other never-ending studies. He stretches out his arm and gives to curt raps on the door, awaiting for a response.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Ms. Patton promptly opens the door and leads you into the lounge with the rest of the people.
"Ah, so glad you could join us tonight Charles, so now the whole group is here. Please fill in our friend on what has happened so far and make appropriate introductions." Dr. Chambers says.
Charles,fill free to read this topic from the beginning to get a description of the room and what has happened so far.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Norman watches the whole scene with rapt fascination. It was like something out of a detective novel! Even despite the obvious dangers, the anxious fellow can't help but find this all rather exciting.

"I work for the public library. Perhaps I could try and look up some information on Rockport. Maybe it has a connection to the events you all are investigating. That we're investigating."

Already preoccupied with berating himself for his stupid suggestion, he offers only a half nod to the new arrival.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

I ignore Scott's obvious joke. Nod and smile at Norman's suggestion, "Sure that'll help, look in the missing artefacts section"
Warren thinking:   That was a bit harsh the guy is only trying to help  
I turn to a familiar figure in the doorway, "So Charles, you came too"
- Anais Nin
tj5000
Layman
Layman

Post by tj5000 »

Charles walks into the room following Ms. Pattons introduction. He declines a seat as well as a drink and reminds standing during introductions. He is very business-like in all his mannerisms with a bit of rigidity. At first he listens with mild curiosity to the accounts of the past events as related from the others. His curiosity builds, as well as his skepticism. He keeps his skepticism to himself however, scanning over this odd assortment of individuals. Thinking to himself" well what do I have to loose, this could be an interesting study into things occult, a subject of which I have little knowledge".

"Well I suppose I can lend my services however I can, especially if it can prevent a recurrence of that tragic event a fore mentioned" says Charles.
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by jbibblesworth »

Scott screws his face up at Warren's chiding remarks and turns towards Norman.

"I'm sure your resources will come in plenty handy Norman, but it would seem to me at present our search criteria is a bit nebulous at best." he folds his arms, "A history of Rockport couldn't hurt certainly, but I'm sure your abilities could be better utilized once we narrow down what exactly it is we're looking for."

He nods gravely towards Charles and continues on towards Dr. Chambers, his mind finally sharpening from it's alcohol-induced fog as the mystery unfolds.

"Dr. Chambers, have any of your cases referenced Rockport before?"
tj5000
Layman
Layman

Post by tj5000 »

OOC:   ( i was mixed up thinking charles was new to the group., i understand now)  
Charles: "Yes, it's good to see you again to Warren, I just wish it was brought on by such grave circumstances."
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Dr. Chambers smiles as the group seems to be coming together to work, as Ms. Patton walks in with a box, you can see the end of a trumpet sticking out. She hands the box to Aunt Loosa and then carries an envelope over to the doctor.
"Ah, yes how could I have forgotten?" The doctor says opening the envelope, "In addition to the inscription, we found this portion of a postcard laying on the floor. Our men are pretty sure it wasn't there before."

"It's torn and burnt, but maybe it can help. And here is a picture of the statue. We are still trying to decipher the writing on the bottom, but we believe it says something along the lines of 'Follow the Great Cthulhu and Dispair.'"

"And finally the last bit of information is a telegram that was sent from a friend of mine in California Monday morning to the Harvard Observatory." He gets it out and lays it on the table fore anyone to see. It reads as follows:

“Star-like object certainly brighter than Venus three degrees east one degree south of Sun seen several minutes before and at sunset by naked eye. Five observers. Set behind low clouds. Unquestionably celestial object. Chances favour nucleus bright comet, less probably nova.”

"This sighting happened 2 days after the statue was stolen, it maybe a coincidence, but I'm not one to believe in those. I thought maybe my friends just had a bit too much of the cheap stuff, but since Monday I've received a half dozen other reports on this same instance, and no one knows what it is. There is a combined 500 years worth of astronomy study in this small group and no one knows what they were looking at." Dr. Chambers takes a last puff on his cigar and puts it out. "That's why they come to me. To find those answers. I know its not a lot to go on, but something in my gut tells me that stolen statue and this celestial anomoly are related. I'll leave it to you, I have nothing else to add. Ms. Patton can see to any needs you might have. Good night everyone." With that Dr. Chambers heads for his door back to his office.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich

Return to “A Star on the Shore”