IC: Ch1. The Lounge

August 1921, Boston.
A dead guard at the abandoned chapel, a stolen statue revealing strange numbers and a burnt postcard. A strange night sighting by a Harvard professor only 2 days later has led to too many coincidences to ignore.
Dr. Chambers is forming another MAPS team, and you have been called.

Moderator: BenTheRat

DrVendetta
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: IC: Ch1. The Lounge

Post by DrVendetta »

"Dr Chambers you did not answer my question about Phil? What do you know about him? Also do you think that the Reverand could still be alive or possibly 'Raised' and he may be the one that got the drop on your guard or do you think it was someone else?" Richard asks paitently.

"Another point I hate to bring up but it does need to be mentioned before you leave us, but who will our financial benefactor be for this endeavor? I don't know about the rest of you but I have rent to pay as well as other bills in order to survive. These investigations are full time jobs unfortunatley." ask Richard in a calm and honest tone.
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

"Of course Richard, sorry if I missed your questions. Phil, like I said we tried to track him down but failed, as for the Reverend, I've never heard of anyone coming back from the dead, but maybe he wasn't completely dead, as someone else mentioned. But that spell I have to say is pretty unique. I'd never heard of it till your investigation." Dr. Chambers pauses for a second, "Oh yes of course you will get paid for your efforts. Maps is picking up the bill on this one. "
OOC:   for bigger images:
postcard
statue  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

I pick up the piece of post card and turn it over, to look for letters or marks of any kind.
Spot Hidden,65% 1d100 → [38] = (38) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4585481/

Looking at the picture of the statue, I can't help but smile, "Crist he's ugly... Antbody seen this before?"

As Chambers exits the room I turn to Norman, "Librarian huh? Tell me have you ever heard of a planet called Mbiru, or something like that, I seem to recall that name from an article someone wrote years ago on some psychic or another?"

I look around, "Okay it's probably pure hokum, but with some of the stuff I've seen I'm starting to develop an open mind. If I remember this Mbiru is supposed to bring the destruction of our world"

I refill my glass, peer at the now empty bottle, take a mouthfull and shrug, "Well why not, a planet is a star aint it?"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Warren,you can see some letters that are barely legible but they are generic for a postcard. Nothing of any value other than to verify this was a postcard.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard looks around the room at the ecletic group of people gathered, God what have I gotten myself into with this, an old lady, a librarian, a photographer, and a cop, I mean a cop after all of the things we had to do last time he wants to put a cop on this team. I sure hope this officer isnt a strick by the book kind of guy.

"So is everyone in on this? Now is the time to start walking if you are not. We need to know who is in and who is out in order to figure out what we do next" Richard ask of everyone. "And you are probably going to have to ask for some time away from your regular jobs if you have them as it looks like we may be doing some travelling on this one."

Richard shoots the rest of his Teqila and sets his glass down on the bar and walks over next to Warren looking at the pictures, as he awaits their respone's.

Richard looks the pictures over much closer with Warren
Ben,do not know if you need one or not but here is a spot check for the pictures and statue spot hidden chance = 49% [dice]0[/dice]
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Richard,you don't see anything spectacular, you see some generic postcard writing on the back but nothing to say where it was from. The Statue you do not recognize it. If you do know what the picture in the postcard is, you may use that information. Its possible your character could have seen this.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   Everyone can make a Cthulhu Mythos check to determine if they know anything about the statue.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Eyes narrowing, Norman thinks. "Mbiru? I don't believe I've ever heard of it. But my, how ghastly!"

He nods to Richard. "I confess this was not quite what I was expecting. Drowning and monsters. But I cannot turn my back on things now. I'm not much of a bruiser, but I want to help in any way I can."

Laying eyes upon the statue, he represses a shudder.
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard smiles at Norman and in a appreciative voice says "Research is 75% of what we do, you will be a welcome and coveted addition to the team Norman."

Richard looks around at the rest of the new additions waiting for ther response.

He stops when his gaze meets Eddies, he see's the thoughts running threw his mind in his eyes, clearly he is vengful of what happened to his friends and family that awful night with Corbit, it would be nice to have someone with physical abilities join the team but he needs to understand that we very well may not be on the proper side of the written laws of man at times during this investigation.

He tells Eddie as he is looking at him "I think I speak for the rest of the team when I say we would love to have someone with your back ground join us but keep in mind we do have to side step the written laws of man at times in order to accomplish what must be done in order to complete our task Eddie, we will need to know if this is an issue for you so we know when to exclude you from certian activities if need be, if you decide to join us."
Ben,I have an 8% chance on Cuthulu Mythos here is the roll [dice]0[/dice]
tj5000
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by tj5000 »

Charles:

I wait until Warren, Norman, and Richard are finished then I inspect the statue along with the postcard.
I almost drop the statue when I turn it around to see what looks like curled up wings. i quickly put it down."I really hope this statue is just for decoration and not of something living...."
"
Ben,I roll a[dice]0[/dice] and get a 90. my mythos is 8%
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by jbibblesworth »

Scott gives the torn bit of postcard a cursory glance, clearly uninterested in such a mundane bit of evidence in favor of the infernal sense of dread that statue offers.

"Looks like some sort of bay or dock." he glances up at Norman. "This could be useful to verify as well as long as you're looking up stars. See if you can't find any old images of the Rockport bay and see if it matches up with the buildings in this postcard."

He picks the idol up and rolls it cautiously from hand to hand.

"Ka-thoo-loo?" he whispers to himself curiously, his thumbs tracing it's tentacled image.
Spoiler:
Mythos Roll - 5/34 - Failed
Scott sets the monstrous relief down from the spot he picked it up.

"Probably just some long forgotten deity." he remarks to Charles, not quite believing his own assertion.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm definitely in," says Eddie, "and I am a bruiser. I'm still on long-term leave from the force a while longer due to my injuries, so I have time to devote to this. But, yeah. I think it's best if you don't let me know about anything that isn't strictly legal."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard responds first to Eddie "Thank you that is good to know, and I don't want you to think we are out there breaking laws left and right, sometime we have just have to do some things that need to be done. It will be nice to have a 'bruiser' with us as it seemed to get awful physical last time"

Richard looks over to Scott and says "It is a picture of a red barn that is fairly old that sits out on a stone peer in a bay, I think it is Sandy Bay, I know I have seen it before and if my memory serves me correctly I believe that it is in or very near Rockport Massachusetts. I remember it from a book that I was reading about a British invasion there during the the War of 1812 many years ago."
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"Things seem to be pointing us to Rockport," Norman says. "I'll look up what I can on the history of the town. Perhaps it has ties to this reverend you were speaking of."
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 6 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

After briefly looking at the paperweight in the photograph which seem to be the spotlight of everyone's attention, it had left Alyssa feeling rather skeptical, her fingers ache from writing in her notepad feverishly. However, for once Alyssa hasn't entertained the slightest doubt of any this, that everything seems so crazy that it might actually be plausible. Always under a dry spell of coming empty handed, this was the big break Alyssa had been looking for. Perhaps an exclusive interview with Dr. Chambers could be arranged once this mystery has been solved.

Alyssa and despair never got along together in the same room the last five months, always staying it's welcome. Though with promising prospects to look forward for, her confidence breathed with fire.

After a long pause of attentive listening and note taking, Alyssa tried remembering her brief time spent being an intern at the Boston Globe, trying to remember if she'd met Warren or Phil. "If the thieves are as clever as Scott, it's most likely they'll be at Rockport as well."
Occult 5%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4586154/]Failure 44%[/url]
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

I look at Norman, take in his glasses and serious, studious look - yep, a librarian allright it seems to exude from his every pore, "Yeah, you do that. It's unlikely that you'll find any mention of the reverend or his church, but it won't hurt to look I suppose"

Out of the corner of my eye I watch as Alyssa concentrates on her notebook, hell she reminds me of me at one time before...
There is still something about her, but I can't put my finger on it. I answer her comment with my usual cinicism, "You reckon?"

Turning to the map I tap Rockport with one finger, "So we head to Rockport then." I say to Richard, "See if we can find your red barn and hopefully Phil, if he still remembers me we can shoot the breeze" I laugh but there's nothing humorous in that laugh.
"Speaking of shooting, still got your guns?"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Ms. Patton refills Aunt Loosa's tea. "Yes, please let me know if you need anything. It's late tonight, might I suggest heading out tomorrow morning. You could drive, its probably only a 3-4 hour drive, or you can take the train. I've heard they have real good public transportation up there. I looked into going there for a vacation a couple summers back." She goes back to her task of making sure everyone's drinks are good, and that everyone has eaten something.
Dr. Chambers comes back into the room, "This confirms my suspicions. Each of the sightings of this strange celestial event Sunday have slightly different numbers to them. From California, to Princeton in New Jersey to Europe, and even Brazil. This means it's too close to us. It was closer than the moon by the time anyone saw it. Using these numbers we have been able to triangulate where the celestial object was headed." He pauses for just a second, everyone already knew what was coming next. "Somewhere in the North East United States. It looks like you guys are looking for a falling star. Good luck team."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by jbibblesworth »

Scott's brow knits itself together furiously as he tries to connect the seemingly unrelated events together.

"I can't say the relationship between this statue's theft and an astrological event is completely apparent to me." he says to the rest of the group, "But at least whatever we're looking for should be easy enough to find. I would recommend we reconvene early tomorrow morning..."

He glances down at his wristwatch.

"...the earlier the better. If we're going to be searching for fallen stars, it might help to have as much daylight as possible. How does 5am suit everyone?"
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard answers Scott "Lets meet here at 5am then. Miss Patton would you be able to arrange train tickets for the first train leaving tomorrow? And maybe set us up with a hotel and some maps of the area, we will probably need to know where there is a local library in town and maybe any historical societies that exsist there as I believe the town has been there as long as our great country has been here."

Richard then walks over to where Alyssa is scribbling in her notebook and sits down next to her. As he looks down at what she is writing he smiles to himself and speaks in a calm soothing voice to her "Alyssa I am assuming that you are some type of reporter or photographer correct? I have one simple request if you write anything about what we are setting out to do, you do not use me in any pictures and you do not use my real name if you speak of me in your writing, you are welcome to use a 'ghost' name for me if you must but I prefer to not be in the headlines of any papers or articles." he continues to smile at her as he looks her directly in the eyes trying to read weather or not he can trust the promise he is about to request her to make and once again calmingly looks her in her eyes and repeats "Do I have your promise on this?"
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Aunt Loosa takes the tea from Ms. Patton

Thank you she smiles.

You know, I only came up here to look for Sonny. And he's no longer here. she glances quickly at his portrait and for a brief moment, the pain she feels at his loss is revealed in her eyes.

I'm just an old lady, chasing stars is the work of young folk. It's been a pleasure to meet you all, particularly those that had made acquaintance with Sonny but I don't feel that this is any business of mine.

I thank you for your hospitality but I feel I am needed more back In New Orleans.

I wish you all good luck and every success

with that she takes a sip of her tea, smiles at you all individually and begins to gather her and Sonny's things.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale

Return to “A Star on the Shore”