IC: Returning Character Introduction

August 1921, Boston.
A dead guard at the abandoned chapel, a stolen statue revealing strange numbers and a burnt postcard. A strange night sighting by a Harvard professor only 2 days later has led to too many coincidences to ignore.
Dr. Chambers is forming another MAPS team, and you have been called.

Moderator: BenTheRat

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

IC: Returning Character Introduction

Post by BenTheRat »

A Star on the Shore
It is August 1921, a mere 5 months since you faced off and killed Tom Lawrence and the Reverend. But then Phil the reporter had escaped with the body of the reverend. You had discovered enough information to find Mr. Corbitt and kill him as well, but not before burning the house down and allowing Corbitt to kill over 2 dozen of Boston's finest.

The memories still haunt you, even though the physical wounds have healed and Dr. Chambers arranged for a psychiatrist to help you through the nightmares that plague you. He pays for your lodging and a nice stipend to support you, but you still don't feel like you owe him anything. Hell you had saved the world, and no one knew. All you got out of it was a one bedroom apartment and a weekly check barely enough to live on. He had warned you when you started down this path that the curtain would be drawn back. Is there any turning back? That itch to pull the curtain back further is still there, you don't deny it, though you've tried to leave town a half dozen times, you never make it to the train station. It's into you now like a drug addict needing another fix.

Then the letter arrived. You immediately recognize the hand writing and letter head as that of Dr. Chambers. You couldn't stop your hands from trembling in both fear and anticipation as you opened the letter to read. "Your presence is needed most urgently. There has been a break-in at the Chapel. Please come to my offices at the museum tonight at 7 PM. Sincerely Dr. Chambers"

Here it was, the notice you had been waiting for. Another chance to pull the curtain back. What horrors would await you this time? How many of your friends will die this time because you hesitate. You feel the cold steel you wear all the time and feel assured, if only for a second more. How many times had you thought about using it over the last few months? Will it even be useful this time around. You reach for the MAPS satchel you always kept handy, just in case, and look at your watch.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Re: IC: Returning Character Introduction

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

I take a last drag from the glowing butt and cast it, in a shower of sparks, toward the ominous door of Chambers' office. Even at this distance the barely healed scar left by a flying knife back in March throbs as in sympathy to any memories. I hadn't wanted to answer the letter, it brought too many memories that were best forgotten to the surface, memories headed by a smiling dame called Jordie.

Still I was here, still chasing the story that would make me famous I guess.

I step up to the door and ring the bell, last time I was here it was chilly, tonight its sweltering. I run a finger around my shirts collar in an attempt to gain a few moments relief from the tightness, as I await an answer.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by jbibblesworth »

Scott shifts his weight from one foot to the other in nervous indecision. For most visitors the Boston Museum's classically constructed exterior is a tasteful homage to the Classical World of antiquity. A physical incarnation of man's reverence to his past. But to Scott, it represents only dread. The gut-churning terror of the horrors of the distant (and not so distant) past shrouded in the weight of the ages. And yet, despite that fear, here he was answering the call.

On a conscious level, he entertained the notion that his actions were driven by his love of his fellow man. The same altruism that had led him into medicine surely must be at play here. Why else would he willingly throw himself back into such potential horrors? But deep down he knew the truth. What man doesn't desire to know the truth, stark and merciless as it may be? To Scott, the museum was little more than a doorway to the terror of reality.

He fishes a hankerchief from his coat pocket and mops the sweat from his brow, wishing his perspiration were drawn from the heat alone. Across the street, a figure descends the stairs to Dr. Chamber's office. There's a vaguely metallic taste in his mouth and Scott swallows hard.

He makes his own way towards the stairwell, staring down at the figure from the top step.

"Evening Warren." he says solemnly as he makes his way down the stairs. "You're looking considerably better than the last time I saw you."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

I fish another cigarette from the pack and a voice from the near past causes me to crush the pack in a reflex action,
"You too? Hope you've got lots of sticking plaster in your box...You might need it"

I knew what had happened at the Corbitt house, and that when the smoke had cleared the medic was one of the few left standing. A sudden burst of sweat trickled down my spine, and it wasn't due to the weather.
- Anais Nin
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by jbibblesworth »

Warren's caustic response draws a forced smile that doesn't quite reach Scott's eyes. All the same, he pats his medical satchel reassuringly and nods gravely.

"Here's hoping we won't need it." he replies. "Have you kept in touch with any of the others?"

He raps his own knuckles on the door's exterior, unaware that Warren has already rung the bell.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

I light the cigarette, "No after I got out of the hospital I took a long vacation and thought hard about my future. I looked for the dame, Jordie, but I found out that she bought it along with most of the others at the house."
I draw hard on the cigarette.
Warren thinking:   I wish someone would hurry up and answer the damn door. This reminiscing is making my scar itch.  
"I kinda figured it was best to let the past stay in the past, what was the point of raking up the past? No one was going to believe it. Didn't you find it hard the first time you heard about Corbitt and the house?"
- Anais Nin
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by jbibblesworth »

Scott's blood runs cold at the mention of Jordie's name and the lines of his face deepen momentarily. He drops into a sullen silence and looks inquisitively at the door for a moment and then produces the doctor's neatly folded letter from the inside of his coat being sure to check the date.

"Hope the old man didn't get trapped underneath one of those boxes of relics..." he mutter to himself. "Hard to believe? I thought it was a bunch of hooey the first time they explained it to me. Not a day goes by that I don't wish I still felt that way."

He smirks and shrugs his shoulders in a gesture of resignation.

"Well...I suppose that isn't entirely true." he adds, "Otherwise we wouldn't be standing here, would we?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

Another long drag on the cigarette.
Warren thinking:   was that a sound from beyond the door?  
"So Scott, I'm here because I feel I've no choice, too many loose ends still to be closed. And I would expect Richard and Charles for similar reasons, many questions too few answers, but you? I would have expected you to have given this a miss"

I drop the butt and slowly grind it beneath my heel,

"It can't have been easy to get over watching the others die like that and being unable to help them"
- Anais Nin
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by jbibblesworth »

Scott seems momentarily distracted by their unanswered knocks. He ascends two of the nearby steps and cranes his neck to peer back towards street level before dejectedly retaking his place before the door. He glances absently at Warren.

"It was awful." he says simply, his eyes somewhat distant now. "Though in the moment it was all so hectic it didn't seem real. It still seems like some kind of nightmare. Those claws...that terrible inhuman grin."

He shudders visibly.

"But that's what Maps is isn't it?" he gives the door a quick thump with his fist. "A way to protect people from these...things."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:

I think about Scott's words my mind filling with reports of the surviving members of the city's emergency personnel and images of dead associates, above them floats a mental picture of a smiling Jordie.

"Yeah I suppose it is, though their last outing wasn't so good"

I look at the crushed cigarette pack. The few remaining smokes were beyond saving.

"Say, you aint got a spare smoke have you, I'm out?"
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

Finally after seemed like an eternity the door opens and you see Ms. Patton standing there.
"Oh my boys do come in, I'm so sorry was in the back and it takes a while to get up here. You should have just let yourselves in. Oh please come in and let me look at you." She steps aside to let you in and closes the door behind you.

She gives each of you a hug like your mother would. "Oh its so good to see you, but..." and she trails off with a thought that isn't finished. She looks sad for a second, then her usual bubbly personality comes right back. "Oh where are my manners, please go into the lounge and make yourself at home."
Scott and Warren,please move to this thread: http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=308&t=5162
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich

Return to “A Star on the Shore”