IC: 6a: Back to the Books: Richard, Norman, Charles

August 1921, Boston.
A dead guard at the abandoned chapel, a stolen statue revealing strange numbers and a burnt postcard. A strange night sighting by a Harvard professor only 2 days later has led to too many coincidences to ignore.
Dr. Chambers is forming another MAPS team, and you have been called.

Moderator: BenTheRat

DrVendetta
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Re: IC: 6a: Back to the Books: Richard, Norman, Charles

Post by DrVendetta »

"Well I think we need to move to the City Records building what do you think?" Richard ask Norman as he looks around for Charles who he hasent seen in a while.
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"That seems like our best lead at the moment. I can't find anything on this church in these records," Norman says, frustrated. "Perhaps we'll have better luck at Records."
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard walks out of the Library and to the car with Norman (I am assuming Charles is still with us?).

Richard starts the car and proceeds to drive over the the records office while driving Richard ask Norman "So what do you think do you have any ideas on this yet?"
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
Medri
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Medri »

Charles is lost in thoughts about what could be done with the information that was gathered but decides to go along with what the others think is best and accompany them to the car, he walks fast to catch up with them.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by BenTheRat »

You have an uneventful ride to the city records building. As you enter you see the same clerk you did yesterday.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"It's difficult to say. I don't have as much experience with any of this as uh, you or the others. But I suspect if we find more information about this church, we'll find more about what precisely Phil intends to do. Maybe even figure out where he is currently residing."

Once they arrive at records, Norman lets Richard handle the receptionist, assuming they have a history.
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard walks up to the clerk smiles and says "Good morning, I hope you are having a nice day today. We are looking for records on church called The Chapel of Contemplation and Church of our Lord. Currently I know it was one of several churches that was using the Old Sloop meeting house until they built there own church. I know that the Church was producing flyers to try to draw people to their Church in the early 1800s. So any records that you could help direct us to such as Registration of Churches and or religious organizations, Building permits as I know they built a Church back then, deeds, tax records, possibly even any police or legal complaints by the Church or against the Church"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

It doesn't take a psych test to see Nathan get real nervous and look back and forth to the 2 other people sitting at tables in the room. He stares at you for a minute and begins to write, "No church by that name was ever in Rockport." he mouths out as loud as he could.

Then in smaller letters he looks at you and writes the word, 'why? write it, keep it short.'

And he looks at you again.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Medri
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Medri »

Charles feel a bit puzzled and nervous at the same time, looking from one to the other.
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard writes a quick note "This Church has caused a lot of trouble, we need to find its origin" and Richard slids the paper back to the man, he then grabs a form and writes a second quick message "Are we being watched?" and hands it to the clerk"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

He quickly writes 'Not here, 224 School st, 9 pm. Say -- I won't help you.' and hands you the note with a matter of fact look.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard looks down at the note and the looks back the the man and says "I won't help you" and he gives the man a slight look of acknowledgement and then says "Well these are public records we will just look for our selfves" Richard crumples the paper up in his fist turns to Norman and Charles and say's "Come on looks like we are going to have to dig through the records our selves" and he starts walking towards the records signaling Norman and Charles to follow him as he walks back into the room with the files.

Once they reach the records Richard places the crumpled piece of paper in his pocket says to Norman "Ok lets look at these again and see if we can figure out how the filing system works here" and Richard starts looking through one of the filing cabinets to try to decifer the filing system.
Ben,Here is my library roll for this[dice]0[/dice] WOOT! I believe that was a big success with at 65% library skill
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Dr. V,what are you looking for, stuff on the chapel?
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Ben,As I stated in the post I was trying to figure out 'how' the filing system works so I could then figure out where to look for what. Based on the description of the room from the first time we were here I doubt we would randomly find the right cabinet to be looking into for a specific topic or file without figuring out the filing system.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Dr. V,because it was a crit success I will let it work. Normally you can't do that.
As you peer through the different labels, all the sudden this weird system seems to make sense.
Dr V,you may now get +20% on any library use rolls in here.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard says to the others "Ok this is starting to make a little more sense to me today, what do we want to look up while we are here?"
Richard looks to the others as he says that but he is actively looking around for anyone who maybe watching them oor following them around in the offices here.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

In the records room itself you 3 are the only ones there.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"The church would probably be our best bet," Norman suggests. "It seems to possess a bit of uh, infamy within the town. Surely there's something in the Records about that. I'll check that out, if you like."

Assuming Richard agrees, Norman gets to work looking up any records on the Church of Contemplation.
Library Use,[dice]0[/dice]
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Norman not only doesn't find anything, he gets a severe paper-cut.
Norman,you don't actually suffer any "life points" but it hurts, bad, making further research impossible for you today.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Ow!" Norman looks up from his research and nurses his finger, which is bleeding a healthy amount. "I'm sorry Richard, but I simply cannot continue to research. I just cut my finger and that makes further searching uh, impossible. You and Charles will have to take it from here."

He heads to a corner and sucks on his finger in hopes of stopping the bleeding. He feels faint and hopes he does not pass out.
Spoiler:
At least Norman did not get everyone kicked out, I suppose. ;)

Return to “A Star on the Shore”