Page 1 of 1

[Scene II] The second killing...

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:56 pm
by Airbornexo
On Route to the Isle of Dogs
London - 27th November 1932

Grimes expertly maneuvers the large Ford automobile through the evening streets, the rain began to patter down again in a hypnotic thrum on the metal roof. The large engine purred softly as the five new companions began to consider what they had learned so far...

Re: [Scene II] The second killing...

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:57 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Grimes brushes away some non existent dust from the steering wheel. "Amanda, may I call you Amanda, miss Somerville?"

"You may have gleaned some bits of information pertaining the case than we uncovered down in the apartment. Both from prior knowledge as well as the talk with Mrs Pelletoot."

He purrs the engine and shifts the first gear in.

"Hector Hornley did not plan to die tonight. Someone he knew or at least trusted enough to invite for a late tiffing decided it was. With a vengeance. He has a missing flat-mate with the initials B.F. of smaller build than mr Hornley. Hector got his neck snapped and his eyes scoped out not with a spoon but with broken china. He was a student of literary art, most certainly. At King's College of Strand Campus. His interest in books is evident from his library card and a letter from a rare books store, Calloway and Sons at High Street, Oxford. So we have two locations to visit. Strand Campus, London and a ways over at Oxford. Now, Atherton, my chief inspector believes a second murder at The Isles of Dogs. This murder at the Dogs I believe is the primary site and this Hornley murder is the second in line as there's been talk about a bad smell for days from that address. Something at the Isles sent our brute killer to the doorstep of Mr Hornley. Something to do with rare books, presumably."

He checks back and forth to change lanes and presses the gas pedal.

"We did collect three burnt clues in the fireplace. A notebook, a letter and a libretto of sorts. A small book."

"So, Amanda - did you know Hector Hornley? Or maybe his flat-mate? Do you know what they studied at university? But mainly my prime query should be what did Mrs Pelletoot reveal of tonight?"

He turns and winks at Sam. "Old chap, have a glance at them burnt papers and see what you say of them."

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, you already have called me Amanda," says Amanda, "so you may as well keep doing it." She winces when Grimes describes how Hornley was murdered. "B.F. is Barnaby Fitzgerald. Mr. Hornley was a nice enough sort, but Mr. Fitzgerald...well, he's a wolf. He's drunk quite often and keeps odd hours. He's tried to make a move on me a couple of times, probably thinking that I must be loose because I sing in a nightclub, but I told him where to head in and he got the hint...eventually. According to Mrs. Pelletoot, he's now trying for a new bar girl at the Cock and Feathers. That could be where he is now. Both men were already living there when I moved into the building last year. I haven't really talked to them much, and I don't know what they're studying. After Mrs. Pelletoot recovered, she told me that she had heard a crash in the boys' apartment below, but at the time she had thought it was just Mr. Fitzgerald falling down drunk, which he's done before. But after that there was only silence, and she eventually got worried enough to check on them. She found the door open, and when she checked inside she found the body. She doesn't remember much after that, poor dear, but she must have been the one who summoned the police. I asked her what time she heard the noise, and she said it was about a quarter to nine.

"I may also be able to help with investigating the other locations tomorrow. I am a student, though I go to University College of London, not King's College. However, I can play the part and make discreet inquiries there. Nobody else here is really young enough."

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:44 am
by Priest

Millicent gazes out of the window as the lights of the city testify to its vastness.
Millicent thinking:   Somewhere out there is a cold blooded murderer with a strange penchant for eyes. Of course he could be anywhere, even in daylight the city hides its filth well enough, but in the dark...  
As she thinks she lights another cigarette, cracking the window open lightly to allow the smoke to exit the car. She watches the dim reflection of the glowing cigarette tip in the glass.
Millicent thinking:   Well it seems that the 'lovers tiff' angle has been laid to rest.  

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:30 pm
by Tabs
ooc,Airbornoxo's summary of our Drives is spot on, I think! Syrinx, I like [quote]He purrs the engine and shifts the first gear in.[/quote] etc.
Amanda said: He's tried to make a move on me a couple of times,
"I say! Miss Somerville, I am sorry to hear that," remarks Felix with more than a hint of passion.

"The Cock and Feathers may be worth a visit?" he thinks, he also notes with approval Amanda's willingness to help pose as a King's College student.

~

Felix says: "Ms. Broadacre, a penny for your thoughts?"

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:48 pm
by Priest

Millicents reverie is broken by Felix's question, she tears her vision away from the night view of London rushing past outside, takes a drag on her cigarette before winding down the window and flicking it away into the darkness. She half watches as it hits the road with a shower of red sparks.
"Uh...I was thinking how easy it must be to conceal oneself within the anonimity of the city." She closes the window against the chill November night.
"The, um, booksellers. Calloway and Sons I think they were called, I may be able to find out them from my publisher. Could save time and effort"

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," Amanda says to Felix with a smile, "but it goes with the territory. If I had a penny for every man who made advances towards me, I'd be quite wealthy indeed. Actually, I feel bad about all the hearts I've broken."

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:07 am
by Tabs
how easy it must be to conceal oneself within the anonimity of the city
" 'Mid seven millions he felt--alone,' " quotes Felix, and to Millicent he says, "The perfect place, I agree."

Listening intently to Amanda, Felix says: "As a confirmed bachelor and a man old enough to be your father I find your words disheartening, Miss Somerville, all women should be worshipped!"--he grins sardonically at his own words--"Today, my attitude excites derision and pity."

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:45 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Sorry... had meant to post and have now run out of time - will not be back in the country till August 1st... and not taking laptop on holiday!  

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:11 pm
by Dave Syrinx
To Amanda, Grimes says, "Hmm, that seems plausible that this Barnaby mate is indeed at the Cock and Feathers. He will thus arrive at a home in disarray. The constables will deal with him. Even if it would be fun to do some masquerading, I'd wager we'd be in for a wait for the result. Probably best to just hit the book store..." He nods at Millicent "That paired with the letter ought to be leverage enough for them to cough up something useful. The library could be covered by Sam and Felix, right? I'd be along, of course. Then we can ask the professors at Strand what he was reading up on."

Grimes ponders some, "But first we should get to the Dogs. "

"The Slaughterhouse case, we save to those drinks we're missing out on now. No need to mix our facts up."

"On that, what do we know for a fact of this Hornley case? A - He was murdered at nine, by a strong man, or woman. He had an interest in rare books. Not just the kind you loan at libraries. A presumed missing flat mate - Barnaby. WHO can shed most light on what was going on with the books."

He steps on the brakes.

"That would put him in grave danger."

At this he puts the car in idle and rethinks their order of business,
OOC:   Lee, we'll let Sam read up on the books while you're away.  

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:50 pm
by Priest

Millicent raises an eyebrow at Felix's inane comment, she would laugh at such unmodern chauvinism, but catching the innocent look on his face in the lights of a passing car, she decides to settle on a quiet sigh.

Echoing the detective she quips "To the dogs" whilst mentaly raising a glass.
Millicent thinking:   Mother always said I would end up going to the dogs, maybe shes about to get her prophesy fulfilled.  
She wonders at the abrupt stop Grimes brings to the vehicle, but notes the look of concentration etched across his brow.
Millicent thinking:   Ah thinking, well it is dangerous to think and drive  

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:07 pm
by Tabs
"So, Detective Grimes, the Cock and Feathers then?--to rescue Mr. Fitzgerald," says Felix.

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:13 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"Yes, dead guys wear pale all night." He makes a right turn to get to the other left side, back towards the boys' public house of choice.

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you again,' says Amanda to Felix. "You are a true gentleman. Most of my admirers aren't as crude as Mr. Fitzgerald, fortunately. I often get notes and flowers from them. I daresay some of them do worship me and may have even fallen in love with me. Those are the ones I feel bad about disappointing. I have no problem telling the Fitzgeralds of the world off. All the same, I wouldn't want anything terrible to happen to him. If we're going to the pub, I'll need to go inside. I'm the only one here who knows what he looks like! Oh, and the murder was most likely at a quarter to nine from what Mrs. Pelletoot said. It is a scary thought that the killer could easily blend in with the crowds. You could be right next to him and never know it until..." She looks out the window, shivering again. "Do you really think a woman could have done this?'

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:21 pm
by Airbornexo

The car pulls up sharply outside down the street from the Cock and Feathers Tavern, a modest establishment in a reasonably respectable neighborhood. The pub is still lively and bustling despite the fact that last orders had been called at eleven. That doesn't seem to bother the clientele or the bar staff who continue to let the liquor flow; normal practice until the local bobby gets fed up and calls for time.

A woman is bashing out a passable tune on the old piano in the corner. Her voice is nothing like as good as Amanda's, but the locals seem to enjoy the bawdy and irreverent lyrics. The five new acquaintances push their way over the the bar and Sam orders a round of drinks with gusto, finally happy he can contribute to the case!

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Amanda describes Fitzgerald to the others and looks around the pub to see if she can spot him. "If he's not here, we might still be able to find the girl and ask if she's seen him," she says.

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:29 am
by Dave Syrinx
"W'ell sit over here while you ask him to join us." Grimes suggests. He brings two of the pints to the free table and waits. "No need to alarm the lad before we have to. Better he's seated when we tell him about... his friend." He seats himself to have a clear view over the back of the bar, covering the rear exit. He doesn't touch his drink.

"And yes, women are capable of the most fierce of acts. With a sedative and some tools, a woman could have overpowered Hornley and painted the canvas of a larger assailant. That and wearing too large boots to throw us off the track. It's a question of capability not probability. However, I still believe the assailant is a man."

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:47 am
by Priest

Millicent snorts at Grimes' description of a weak female resorting to silly subterfuge to kill a man. "Men are so vain, and their simple vanity to believe their sex gives them some kind of imunity from being killed by some poor weak woman is probably there Achilles heel"

She pushes past the 'men' and takes a seat at the table.
Millicent thinking:   Amanda has all the qualities needed to make a perfect assasin of men, all she lacks is the bloodthirstyness. However it helps that she has the perfect alibi she was on stage during the murder.  
She slowly scans the room, attempting to spot a man who fits the girls description...

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:39 pm
by Airbornexo
Amanda quickly spots Barnaby Fitzgerald, making a fool of himself at the bar telling an extravagant tale to a couple of bored regulars. She points him out, miming a shudder of revulsion, before heading over to attract his attention.

He is in his early twenties, thin built and rather ugly. His expensively tailored suit hangs limply from his bony frame and he is in his usual state of looking permanently disheveled due to drink.

As Amanda approaches him, she hears him guffaw at the end of his own story: "...and the old Dean was horribly upset with me! He stood there whiskers still smoldering and expelled me from Magdalin on the spot, old fool! Daddy was dreadfully cross of course and cut my stipend right down, got me living in dingy little digs...frightful..." He catches sight of Amanda, "...apart from one little ray of light. Ah the angelic Amanda, you've decided to take my offer of a tipple up finally." He staggers, drunkenly towards her grinning inanely showing tobacco stained teeth.

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:20 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"I agree. However, if a woman killed Hornely, she'd be forced to dress up in this case to appear as a large man. And in this case - brute force is a factor. Call me male chauvinist if you like. Tonight Hornley was not killed by a mistress over tea. We're dealing with real black coffee of a dock worker. In another case - certainly. In most cases involving either sex, it's opportunity and not force that is key element. In this case it's the other way around."

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:58 pm
by Tabs

Felix accepts a drink from Sam, but unlike Grimes he takes a few sips at his ale.

He speaks to Millicent: "You hold very--ah--unusually strong views on 'men' and , I presume, the failings of our society; how old are you, Ms. Broadacre, if I may ask?" Felix realises he is getting a little "hot under the collar," and is about to temper his comment when Amanda approaches Barnaby Fitzgerald. "I say, Detective Grimes, is Miss Somerviille quite safe?--Mr. Fitzgerald may be a madman!"

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:19 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Grimes watches Miss Somerville handling Barnaby. "In this environment - a woman like that is as safe as she could be. Should there be anything untoward happening - there're a handful of chaps that will help out." He points at a couple of onlookers who seem interested in the approaching singer. After hesitating, Grimes lifts his pint and lifts it at Miss Broadacre. "Not that she needs it, just putting some ease at ol' Felix."

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:34 pm
by Priest

Millicent picks up the gin and tonic that Sam has placed on the table and spends several seconds studying the clear liquid with its standard slice of lemon embellishing the glass.

"Sadly Mr Henriot, you are almost correct my respect for our male dominated society died with my eldest brother in some filthy hole in Belgium. That was a war started by men, had women been in charge of the Country our difficulties would have been solved with diplomacy rather than whisky fueled, red blooded violence"

Millicent watches Barnaby, noting the lustful look on his face as Amanda approaches him.

"I daresay that Miss Somerville is more than capable of handling such an obvious knuckle dragging, drunken fool"

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good evening, Barnaby," says Amanda, shoving her distaste aside. "I'd like you to meet some friends of mine. Follow me and we'll all have a drink together." She heads back to the table, certain that he'll follow her. He'd follow me into the pits of Hell itself, she thinks. Fortunately for the both of us, I have no intention of going there.

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:38 am
by Priest

Millicent takes a cigarette from a pack and fits it in her holder. As she places the cigarette holder between her lips and waits, expectantly, for a light, she smiles at the way Amanda is leading Barnaby towards them.
"Men are so easy to lead they have no resistance to a woman's charms. Look you can almost see the drool running down his chin and if he's not careful he may trip over his tongue"

"Observe gentlemen, is this the face of a potential killer? Note the pathetic desire so prevalent on his unatractive visage, the pure docility of his manner. No I'm afraid Barnaby is only a danger to himself and any he bores with inane stories of his sexual prowess"
Millicent thinking:   Yet he may make an excellent character study for all that  
She turns her gaze to Felix "Light?"

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:53 pm
by Tabs

Obediently, Felix strikes a match for Millicent. "I am sorry for your loss, Ms. Broadacre. Fortunately, for me, I spent the war as a guard to a 'rest camp' behind the front line; however, the number of young men who passed through and never returned is a blight upon my soul. . . . 'Women in charge'? huh, unlikely, Ms. Broadacre, but, I freely admit, that they couldn't possibly have done a worse job of the war."

Felix observes Amanda and Barnaby Fitzgerald. "You're right, Detective Grimes, Miss Somerville is safe, Mr. Fitzgerald is a poor specimen and confirms Ms. Broadacre's prejudices of 'men.' "

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:23 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Waiting until Barnaby arrives at the table, he welcomes him with: " Mr Fitzgerald, I'm police detective Grimes. Good to see you in such high spirits. Sadly we fear you are in grave danger, son. Your apartment has been invaded, I'm afraid and the Yard is making sure nothing more befalls you." He lets the facts sink in and adds. "We can continue this over at your place or even her if you wish. If you on the other hand feel you rather would like to discuss matters of the invasion at the station, we can arrange that." Grimes stands up and offers the seat to Barnaby.

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:49 pm
by Priest

Millicent smiles a half smile as she accepts the light from Felix.
Millicent thinking:   [b]Detective Grimes[/b] is playing the game like the pro he is, Just enough threat to have [b]Barnaby[/b] 'spilling his guts', as the Americans would say.  
Through eyes half closed against the heat of the match she watches Barnaby's far from pleasant face, awaiting the moment when fear would pale his already pale features.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:25 pm
by Airbornexo
As Amanda had suspected Barnaby was easily coaxed towards the table containing her newly made allies. Out of the corner of the eye she could see him exchanging leery grins with his fellow bar-flies and she could feel his roaming eyes on her back. She moved him into position at the table in the seat offered by the detective, the group somewhat surrounding the brash student...not that he noticed...

He listens to the detective half-heartedly, his eyes constantly straying back to Amanda. He barely registers the others in the party and to Grime's comments about an invasion he merely responds; "Bugger! Are my suits alright?"

Amanda's assessment of the man seems right on the money, a thoroughly abominable fellow, self-centred and laconic.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:53 pm
by Dave Syrinx

"Yes, son. They are dandy. Your mate has gotten sore eyes, though. Been doing some serious reading lately. What can you tell me about a book Mr Hornley has been studying?" While dodging the true facts about the state of his flat mate, Grimes watches for signs of hesitation and tells for lying. "In all fairness we should really leave and make it back to your flat together. To make sure all of your attire are still there."

Grimes hoists up the car keys and catches them.

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:02 am
by Tabs
Mr. Fitzgerald, I'm Mr. Henriot"--Felix stands up and extends a hand--"a journalist friend of the Detective. We, and Miss Somerville--um--Amanda, are together for a drink. Let's all go and check out your flat?

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:44 am
by Airbornexo
Fitzgerald looks from Grimes to the outstretched hand of Felix but does not shake it, instead he looks indignant. "Look, what the bally-hell is going on here?! I'm not going anywhere with you chaps, lovely lady in tow or otherwise. The night is yet young and there are drinks to be drunk, songs to be sung and ladies to be loved!"

He is belligerent and has a sneering attitude, "What's boring old Hector up to this time, I don't suppose he actually did something interesting for a change and killed himself? No? Moody bleeder always sitting indoors in the dark, reading." At Grime's mention of a book he clicks, "Book! He's an obsessive about that same damn nonsense book. He was consumed by it, writing all sorts of gobbledygook in his diary. Utter nonsense. Now if you don't mind I'm going back to my chums...unless your planning on arresting me detective?" He makes to stand up....
Grime OOC,[ooc]On the face of it assess honesty suggests that Barnaby is as one-dimension as he seems, not the villain of a violent crime...well not against men anyhow. This type of little man did like to pick on women from Grime's bitter experience.[/ooc]

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:53 am
by Tabs
"I tried to be helpful!" whispers Felix to Grimes.
OOC:   Just looked at our skills, Amanda and Millicent have Flatttery. . . ?  

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:53 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"You are in luck. He's indeed dead. I'm arresting you on murdering Hwctor Hornley earlier this evening."
He cuffs him with a pair of conjured cuffs.

"Too tight for you, son?"

Pushing the arrestee towards the door, he counters any objections with.
"Either you did it or the Bookhounds got him."

"You will be handled by a constable at your addres. He will take your statement. We have more pressing matters to attend. I'll make sure to look you up when you're properly processed."

"Let's be off!"

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:05 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"To give yourself a break, i need to know at what time you left the apartment and what book Hector was obsessed by?"

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:55 pm
by Priest

Millicent reaches out and lightly places a hand on Grimes' arm, she looks up and smiles, "Come, come my dear inspector, anyone can see that this dear boy is completely innocent of any wrong doing, he is merely in search of a good time."

She turns to the handcuffed Barnaby, "Dear boy, please assist the inspector he has had a rather rough day and I'm afraid his patience is becoming somewhat thin. He simply wishes you to answer a few questions, so just answer his questions and we can all have a nice drink and there's an end to it. There's a good chap"

I am going to try reassurance. I have that at 1 but I will not use the 1 point, so is it a simple test? if so;
1d6 → [3] = (3) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4580271/

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Amanda's eyebrow goes up when Grimes arrests Barnaby. He didn't seem to be guilty from his actions, nor does he have the necessary strength, but she reasons that the detective is just trying to keep him from leaving and to intimidate him. Perhaps a softer touch will work if that fails, she thinks. "I know you couldn't have done this," she says to Barnaby. "If you just tell him what he wants to know, I'm sure he can clear you quickly."
OOC,Reassurance is an investigative skill, so there's no roll involved. You just spend it if it's applicable. If it isn't, I'll spend a point of Flattery instead if it's necessary.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:59 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Sorry should have seen that, teach me to read the rules. So thanks Mr H, good job your on the ball :D Yes Reassurance is an investigative skill so I will spend the 1 point and see if it helps.  

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:53 am
by Airbornexo
Barnaby's eyes go wide as the cuffs are clapped on him, he whimpers and then starts a sniveling, grovel aimed at the detective. "Wait, what?! Detective please you've got it all wrong I've been in here all night, ask anyone. You'll see...I've not even been home, I walked here from college with Wallace over there you can ask him I've been here all night!!! Book? What's so important about a book?"

As Millicent's reassurance seems to fail to get through to the panicked student, Amanda's flattery clearly strikes a chord and he composes himself somewhat and some of the sarcastic bravado returns. "He got that book out of the library...at Maughan Library a few weeks ago."

"Some silly book of poetry, terrible, terrible stuff. Called the, hrm, something about a path I think. Old Professor Blexham put Hornley onto it. Drove him over the edge, I’d say. Killed by a bad rhyme." He grins weakly trying to get avoid letting those gathered see the cracks in his facade. A few people from the bar are beginning to turn and look at the unfolding drama in their midst. Fitzgerald's drunk friends have their hands on their hips and are pointing in your direction.
OOC:   Assess Honesty suggests that Fitzgerald is considerably more scared now he believes he is implicated in the death. Millicent retain your point of reassurance, Amanda please record the spend of Flattery.  

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:29 pm
by Tabs
"I think it's time to go," says Felix. "Mr. Fitzgerald, you'll have to come with us, for your own safety, if for no other reason."

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:46 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Grimes physically moves Fitzgerald along. "You'll have to tell the constables all this. Thank you for cooperating."
To the crowd he says with his copper's voice. "Nothing to worry about. Detective Grimes. Carry on!"

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"It'll be all right," says Amanda as she leaves with the others, though it isn't clear whether she's trying to convince Barnaby Fitzgerald or herself.
OOC,Where do I record my spends? If you want me to edit the character sheet I could, but most players don't have the power to do that since it's your post.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:43 pm
by Airbornexo
OOC:   Note - I'll keep track of spends. I'm in the process of setting up a spreadsheet. I've moved the action on, we don't need to see Fitzgerald being handed over to the police at the apartment. Onto the Isle of Dogs...  

The Isle of Dogs
London - 27th November 1932
The odious Fitzgerald safely secured with London's finest, Grimes was happy to whisk the companions the short distance throught the rain-soaked streets to the Isle of Dogs. This wasn't an area that any of them frequented often, its reputation preceded it though: It was a stagnant area. Thirty years ago when dock workers settled on the "island" it was thriving. As the docks grew in importance, by the turn of the century, over twenty thousand people lived here; largely dependent on the river trade on the Isle as well as in Greenwich and Deptford across the river to the south and west. The closing of the only railway line into the area six years ago had started the slide into decay and people had drifted away from the area.

The large shabby tenement looms over the road fully five storeys high. Grimes pulls over where a police constable, clearly waiting for them waves them to a parking space behind Dr. Guinn's small car. Everyone in London knew these desperate buildings, for desperate people. Rooms here are offered for rent by the week, at rates that reflect the run-down state of both the building and the neighbourhood. Whole families are crammed into these tiny, filthy rooms; the plumbing never works and there’s a worrying, ever-present smell of gas.

Grimes switches the engine off and suddenly the only sound is the gentle hiss of the rain on the metal car roof...

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:33 pm
by Priest

Millicent Peers through the cars window at the benighted gloom of the area. The very air smells of poverty and desperation Thank God for cigarettes, she thinks as she lights another.
She smiles at Grimes' reflection in the rear mirror, and in a voice dripping with sarcasm quips, "Oh my dear Inspector Grimes, you do know how to show a gal a good time"

She opens the car door and slides one leg out, "So what connection to the murder of Hornley will we find here?"

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:56 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Grimes pushes the wireless igniter of the Ford and pulls out a cigarette of his own from a tin box in his coat pocket. He puts it in the corner of his mouth as the mechanism ejects the bolt igniter. He lights the stick and pushes the bolt back in the jack. He glares at the legs. "'bit chilly, I guess."

He exits the car and opens the car properly for Millicent. "I expect to find that out when we enter the locale. If I have to guess, I'd wager this one also had ties to academia. We all kmow what odd types they are - male authors that is."

He smiles and waits.

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:20 am
by Tabs
Felix opens the other car door for Amanda. He listens to Grimes brief description and tries to prepare himself for what he may see. "Miss Somerville, stay well back when we go inside," he warns.

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:54 pm
by Airbornexo
Constable Avery, a solid sort in a dripping rain poncho, walks over to the group, from the doorway of number 12, Hesperus Crescent. "I'm glad you've arrived sir. The Doctor's been in there for about half an hour sir, begging your pardon. Adam...sorry Constable Albrighton has taken a brief statement from the landlord who called us in, we had to break down the door and we found a man dead. He's been in there for a few days judging by the smell sir and his face was cut up pretty badly." He gives Grimes a knowing look suggesting its worse than present company is allowing him to discuss.

He leads the party up to a landing on the top floor. Rain drips through leaks in the roof and the carpet exudes a mouldering smell. The paper is yellowed and peeling from the walls and the whole building practically screams decrepitude.

Outside room 56, Constable Allbrighton is blocking the door to the apartment. Standing with him is the landlord:

The Constable introduces the heavy-set landlord, as Mr. Theo Fletcher. Constable Avery leaves Allbrighton upstairs and heads back to the street to await the coroner's vehicle. From inside the room a familiar voice calls out, "Is that Grimes? About time man, get in here and have a look!" A few people a peeping from the half-closed doors trying to see what is going on...

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:17 pm
by Dave Syrinx

"This is my third stop tonight, Avery. And I guess it's not my last. We are all out of our elements constable." Grimes shakes the constables hand and hurries inside. "Pretty bad. Eyes missing, right? Broken neck. That should fit the M.O. of the killer from our previous site. Guess SI Atherton was on top of this one, linking them together." He stops to reassure himself. "Eyes...neck?"

Grimes
ponders on the poor living conditions of the tenants and comes all the way up to room 56. "Grimes.."

he says and looks at the door. "Was it locked? Did he lock himself in and offed himself?" Somehow Grimes had not expected the apartments to have locks. They barely had walls.

"Fill me in Allbrighton."

"I brought a small entourage to get fresh eyes on the living conditions at the Dogs. It eases the tension of those grizzly slayings as well. Any witnesses to whatever passed here?" He keeps the voice low and to the key, trying to sound all matter of factly - trying to convey the idea that this is making their jobs easier and less dirty. "Unless you want to assist me Adam?"

"Does all apartments have locks?"
He directs the question to Fletcher.

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Amanda to Felix as she steps outside, looking around. She stays behind him when they go inside, following his advice. She can't help noticing the contrast with her own lovely building. "My, what a dreadful place. Ordinarily I wouldn't be caught dead here." Her cheeks suddenly turn the same color as her hair when she realizes what she just said. "Er...I mean..."

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:13 am
by Tabs
Grimes ponders on the poor living conditions of the tenants and comes all the way up to room 56. "Grimes.."
"Exactly," replies Felix, echoing the consensus of everyone.
Her cheeks suddenly turn the same color as her hair when she realizes what she just said. "Er...I mean..."
"I understand, Miss Somerville," he says, "there is no need to explain. At the very best of times this is 'a dreadful place,' as you said."

Felix stands behind Grimes as he addresses Fletcher. Felix fiddles with his Kodak and tries to look like the official police photographer.

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:30 pm
by Airbornexo
The manager, Fletcher, puffs up with pride at being addressed first at the scene. "Yes guv, all my apartments have the latest in Yale's locking mechanisms, which lock as you pull them closed. Lot of ner-do-wells around 'ere and my tenants like to feel safe." He shakes his head wearily, "That room was rented out to one Edmund Grobbam who arrived two weeks ago, give or take a day."

I knew I was going to pay for letting Grobbam have a room here, but he could pay upfront. Despite myself I found I quite liked him, charming fellow even though he smelled of trouble. Strange how that was what led me up here! A neighbour noticed the smell of 'im rotting in Room 56."

The call from inside is more impatient this time as Dr. Howard Guinn appears in the doorway."Grimes, I haven't got all nig....oh....I see you still have your entourage in tow. Giving them a taste of our fair cities' sordid underbelly are we detective."

He doesn't appear especially phased by the company once again and quickly reels off the facts. "Like our estwhile Hector Hornley, Edmund Grobbam over there, has had his eyes gouged out and his throat cut. To be more accurate than the good landlord, I would happily suggest that it has been four days since he was killed due to the advancement of decomposition, hence the smell which you might have noticed!" He grins at the assembled group, "not to pleasant is it?"

"The weapon in both cases of injury was a pocket knife that’s been stuffed back into Grobbam's trouser pocket. He also has a bullet wound in his side, where a shot grazed his ribs. Now interestingly that bullet injury is at least a week old. Seems like our Grobbam was used to being in violent conflicts. He has several smaller cuts and scrapes on his palms and knees, implying he was involved in a scuffle or chase."

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:50 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Grimes silently looks at the crime scene watching for footmarks indicating the size of the attacker. He merely hums. He walks around the room, half expecting to find a book - or something pointing at the book store, or university angle. "As I estimated. This is the primary murder. But could this brutish man enjoy a good book as did the young Hornley?" He checks the pockets of Crobbam and uses a handkerchief to pull out the knife.

"Prints on this maybe? Take mr Crobbam's as well." Again the detective talks to the room rather than to someone specific. As if thinking out loud.

"Whoever visited those two gents really made use of weapons of opportunity. China shards and a small knife. This points at a crime of passion of sorts. Not premeditated."

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"But he's done it twice," says Amanda. "That we know of, anyway. And he's liable to do it again. He doesn't seem to have planned things out, so perhaps he feels some sort of compulsion to kill. On the other hand, what if he did plan it this way? He could have deliberately used his victims' possessions to kill them instead of his own in order to make it harder to trace back to him, or to make a sort of statement." She pauses. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to tell you how to do your job. Just thinking out loud."

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:13 am
by Priest
Previously Fletcher said:   "I knew I was going to pay for letting Grobbam have a room here, but he could pay upfront. Despite myself I found I quite liked him, charming fellow even though he smelled of trouble."  
Millicent turns to the manager, "May I ask why you thought that? And what trouble did he 'smell of'?"

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:57 am
by Airbornexo
As Grimes talks to the doctor, Fletcher turns to answer Millicent's question: "You get a sense of people, living down 'ere in the rougher end of town. When I bought this building 30 years ago, it was a thriving place. Then they ripped out the railway line, the 'eart and soul of the trade down here. Things have been going downhill here ever since."

"I don't know what Grobbam was mixed up in, but if I had to guess? Then I'd say 'e was a petty criminal of some manner. Not violent, mind you, very mild mannered gent was Edmund. That's what convinced me to give 'im a room, well...that and the money. Everyone deserves a second chance; and down on the Isle, some need a third or fourth chance if you catch my drift!"

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:57 pm
by Tabs
Felix takes some snaps of the scene whilst listening to the conversation.
OOC:   Airbornexo, Evidence Collection?  

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:31 pm
by Airbornexo
Felix looks quickly around the room as Grimes talks with the Doctor. Room 56 has a single unmade bed with what looks like two large suitcases or valises tucked underneath, a little gas cooker with several cans of beans, a saucepan with a thick crust of burnt beans, several plates covered in the remains of beans and a body. The newish looking Yale lock is handing from the frame of the door where Allbrighton's size 12s have kicked the door open as several splinters of wood attest!
OOC:   San roll please Felix as the state of the corpse is worse than at the previous scene - 4+ normal difficulty check (1 point loss so little point spending here)  

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:33 pm
by Dave Syrinx
At Amanda's theory, Grimes says, "You have a point there. It's one possibility. We have to compare prints from both crime scenes." Grimes checks the room for a sink or somewhere the attacker could have cleaned himself off after the deed.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:10 pm
by Tabs
It's another bad one, the condition of Grobbam gives Felix a moment's pause, but he ins't too shocked. He kneels down to examine the suitcases.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:17 pm
by Airbornexo
Grimes pokes around at the small sink and hits pay-dirt when he spots a waste-bin underneath near some crusted pipework. Inside the bin there are several blood-soaked bandages, and several sheets of paper that have been torn into ad-hoc bandages. These are also encrusted with dried blood. On top are a few scraps of paper, which can be pieced together into a torn bookplate:

Felix pulls out the two cases that are both stacked under the bed. He plonks them unceremoniously onto the bed and pops the catches open. The first contains a selection of cheap suits and underwear.

The other, however, is more interesting, containing the following items:
  • • One well-tailored and expensive suit, with matching shirt and shoes.

• A set of knives, lockpicks and safecracking tools, as would be used by a professional burglar in Felix's opinion.

• A folded street map of Oxford, England.

• A book called 'Thaumaturgical Prodigies in the New England Canaan', the information inside indicates it is an 1801 printing, with a bookplate marking it as belonging to the Dagworth Library of Oxford.

• A second book 'De Vermiis Mysteriis'. The first page of this book has been scraped with a knife...

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"The late Mr. Grobbam hardly strikes me as the sort to be a bookworm," says Amanda. "But perhaps he stole these books because they're valuable. Perhaps these aren't even all of the books that were here. The killer could have easily taken or burned one or more of them, and we'd never know it was missing. Maybe even a copy of the same book that Mr. Hornely had. If so, that could be a link between the two murders."

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:21 pm
by Tabs

Felix studies the bookplate for Dagworth Library. He slowly translates the Latin, and then he reads aloud: " 'The Way, The Truth, The Life'--sounds to me like a quote from the Bible, and this other motto 'ab animo calignem dispellere,' " he struggles to construe the words, "I think it says . . . Ms. Broadacre, can you translate it? Something about 'dispel from the mind.' "

"All roads lead to Oxford, Detective Grimes?" he states whilst looking at the books. "Did Grobbam reconnoiter books at the Dagworth Library--hence the fine clothing--in order to steal them?"

Felix holds Thaumaturgical Prodigies in the New England Canaan and De Vermiis Mysteriis. "Now these two will make for interesting reading!"

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:54 pm
by Priest

Millicent concentrates on the phrase, "Hmm, interesting. The majority of the phrase is, as you guessed, from the Latin, ab is to; 'animo' can mean mind but it also has many veb usages such as fill; I can think of no translation for the word calignem; and 'dispellere' has the litteral translation of drive. So yes. I would imagine it tranlates as 'to dispel, or drive, something from the mind', but what something?"

Millicent indicates the cases that Grimes is looking at, "The clothing in those cases, I know this may be grasping at shadows, but they are the same sizes I presume?"

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:11 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Still holding the front cover of the book. He walks over to Felix and the finds in the cases. "This goes not with any of the others..."
He ponders and takes a seat in a vacant stool. "Can we assume this gentleman Grabbam, acted on a client's behalf. Grabbam seems to have been a burglar fancying disguises. Most probably he's been relieving libraries of their written treasures. Books a hundred years should catch a good sum to the right collector. Professor Blexham must have had the proper knowledge of what books could be worth stealing, right? He could have paid Grabbam to steal the book. But I guess he had someone kill Grabbam instead of paying him. Grabbam got shot while stealing the books in Oxford. He tried to clean himself up but met with the killer.
The killer only took one book. The Path - something poetic with rhymes, was what Fitzgerald said. This cover must have gone with the book Hector was reading."
He looks at the others. "The reason for this seems amiss. I'd say it makes no sense. Why would Blexham get a book and hand it to Hector? Was he afraid of reading it himself? I guess we must ask him personally. The other idea that Blexham told Hector to get his hands on the book, hiring a thief and killing him seems out of the question. We should ask Blexham why required reading was of a sort hard to get by?" He checks Felix and Millicent. "Are those works rare or common? Expensive?" He checks the map for marked places, to get an idea what area Grabbam was interested in. To Fletcher he asks. "Mr Fletcher have you had an increased number of break-ins since Mr Grabbam moved here?" He points to Felix to fish up the lock picking pins.

"Yes, Oxford it is - but we have to retire for tonight. Document all you can. Let's bring the cases."

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:46 pm
by Airbornexo
OOC:   Please don't read too much into the Latin on the bookplate - I crafted that handout (the scenario doesn't come with one) the writing is appropriate but not specifically important to the scenario. I just googled bookplate and picked one I liked :) Piecing together the bookplate, one can assume that it has been scraped from De Vermiis Mysteriis (the scrapes match).

All the clothing is of the same size.

Note - Anyone stepping into the room needs to make a normal (4+) San roll - failure indicates a single point loss from seeing the corpse (which no-one has fully gone over yet). Please roll if you have entered the room...  
Theo Fletcher answers the detective: "To be honest, he's hardly been out of his room. That's partially why no-one had noticed he had been sitting in there for..." He looks at the doctor, "four days?" The doctor nods response to the question.

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:56 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Realizing he'd taken the doctor's word for how Grobbam bought it, he steps over and stoops by the body checking for defensive wounds and other leads to what had happened. Not too disturbed by the state of Grobbam, Grimes says, "This won't hurt..." as if reassuring the corpse he'd be gentle.

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:45 pm
by Priest

"Oh dear, how awful" mumbles Millicent suddenly getting a view of the corpse, unlike the stoic detective and the resolute reporter, her stomach is delicate and unused to such an awful sight that confronts her, not to mention the aroma. Her stomach rumbles, ominously, her eyes water profusely and for a few moments she thinks she might be sick.
Sanity,1d6 → [1] = (1) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4588471/

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:56 pm
by Airbornexo
Bending over rotting corpse Grimes is able to confirm much of what the Doctor has already described. Like Hector Hornley, Grobbam has had his eyes gouged out and his throat cut. The weapon lies on the table extracted by the doctor from a blood-stained breast pocket.

The pocket knife is of the kind that folds out of its handle for convenience, the blade is stained with black blood and looks sharp. The blood soaking through Grobbam's clothing shows the bullet wound in his side, where a shot grazed his ribs. Grimes' experience suggests it was a small-calibre pistol.

Rummaging carefully through the rest of his pockets Grimes finds a bus ticket in an inner pocket, from Oxford to London. It’s dated two weeks ago.

The Doctor sighs loudly and pats the pale Millicent on the arm. "Right, a nightcap then off home to Mrs. Guinn! This is enough excitement for me at this time of the night. You look like you could use a stiff drink as well young lady, it will clear that smell right out of your pipes!" With that he turns, putting his hat on and heads for the stairs.

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:49 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   Well, you couldn't have chosen a better bookplate for a Mythos tome! :)  
Felix picks up the tools, and rests his hand upon Millicent's arm. "Take a few deep breaths, Ms. Broadacre."

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:52 pm
by Priest

Millicent flashes Felix a withering look and shakes her arm free of his hand, "Indeed"

After a few seconds she starts to feel normal once more, "So, Miss Somerville will you be staying at my place tonight, before we make the journey to Oxford?"

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, and thank you again," says Amanda to Millicent, offering her her own arm. "Come on, let's get away from this place of death."
OOC,I certainly didn't intend to go inside and look at the crime scene, in which case I'd be talking to the others through the open doorway. If I had to enter, let me know and I'll roll.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:04 am
by Dave Syrinx
"From what I can tell..." Grimes keeps the the ticket stub and stands up again. "...he arrived to London from Oxford two weeks ago. He's been shot by small calibre gun... here or in Oxford, I can't tell. Probably here as he's been trying to bandage himself here." He shows the stub to the others.

He walks over to constable Albrighton and says, "Cordon off this apartment and see to it that doc's people care for mr. Grobbam. I'm afraid I have to do some desk work before turning in. Ladies and gents, we're leaving this locale."

Grimes
waits in the room for all to exit then shakes Albrighton's hand. "Good police work, constable."

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:05 am
by Priest

Millicent smiles at Amanda, "Of course my dear. I think the good inspector is ready to leave"

As Grimes leaves the room she turns to the police constable who Grimes has just congratulated, "Excuse me, but may one ask? Did no one hear any altercation within, surely it would have been impossible to carry out an attack like this in silence? Also if Grobham was indeed shot here did no one hear a gunshot. I know very little about guns, but surely such a small calibre weapon would make a noise loud enough to raise a neighbors curiosity?"

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:19 pm
by Tabs
Felix exits the apartment, still holding the books. He surreptitiously tucks them away in his jacket and is about to descend the stairs, but hesitates and decides to knock on a neighbouring door. [Presuming that the door opens] "Friendly with Mr. Grobbam?" he enquires.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:10 pm
by Airbornexo
OOC:   Felix employs his Oral History and/or Streetwise to speak to the neighbours, many of whom are still peeking out of their doors trying to get a glimpse of what is going on...  
Felix picks up the common knowledge from the locals that Grobbam had arrived a week or two ago. Rumours claim that he was on the run from the law, or was an escaped lunatic, or that he was a British lord who fled England after a scandal.

People had seen him holding his side with a pained expression for the whole time he stayed in number 56. He had no friends in the building, but a few days ago, a detective was asking questions about him. No- one told the detective anything, down in this part of London, people were very wary of the law...

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:24 pm
by Tabs
"This Detective, what did he look like?" asks Felix.

He'll pass on any info. to his friends.

~

"Sir," he says to Grimes, "did you know that another Detective was here asking about Mr. Grobbam?"

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:50 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"A detective? I'll pass that on to Atherton. Might be something about his chosen profession. It goes in the report and I'll track down who paid him a visit." Grimes jotts down what they have uncovered in his note pad.

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm guessing he wasn't shot at home, then," says Amanda. "My guess is he got that bullet wound while out 'working,' then came here and bandaged himself up. Could be that's why that other detective was looking for him."

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:11 pm
by Airbornexo
With that the hour was approaching midnight, the rain had finally eased off as the party left Hesperus Crescent. A dank, foggy fugue hung over the London streets smelling like a wet animal. There was an Oxford train at 12:20pm the next day and Grimes had grudgingly accepted that the companions might tag along to follow the case.

The writer and reporter ostensibly where thinking about collaboration on a crime volume, perhaps to include details of the case. Sam, although quiet, suggested his expertise with antiques might come in useful in Oxford and Grimes had to agree. There he was well and truly out of his depth, but the old book seemed to be important somehow. The singer was a odd choice of companion, but the death so close to her home had provoked her to insist on accompanying them. She made some excuse about a Great Aunt she had neglected to see for several months, it sounded like an excuse - but the others seemed to let it slide.

Moreover, the detective thought, she had offered to help with enquiries at the university...

As each made their own separate ways to their various homes, or in Grimes' case to speak with his superiors and complete yet more tedious paperwork, they formed a rough plan of attack...
OOC:   Right from here can you please post the lines of enquiry that your character intends to follow up on in the morning. All the characters have agreed to meet at Paddington Station and to travel to Oxford around lunch and catch the train together. I'll let you have a decide then if I think you've missed any really important lines of enquiry I might prod someone via PM :)

Once people have decided where the different characters are going etc... I'll post up some new threads so the information can be kept relatively secret!  

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I can go to the university and talk to [b]Professor Blexham[/b] to ask him about the book that [b]Hector[/b] was reading.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:26 pm
by Tabs

Felix returns to his flat. He finds it impossible to sleep after everything that has happened, especially the corpses of the two mutilated men. The books he has 'borrowed,'--Thaumaturgical Prodigies in the New England Canaan and De Vermiis Mysteriis--he'll begin reading them, hoping tiredness will compel him to turn in.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:29 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   In the morning Felix will visit [I forget :) ] as Grimes suggested.  

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:57 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Possibly a cop out but Millicent will tag along with Felix in the hope for more stuff for the book. Unless, of course anyone has a better idea  

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:09 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Hi gang... I've caught up (reading wise)

I think Sam has the burnt items from the 1st site.. so he can investigate those?

He can also ask a few questions down the antiques market to see if anyone knows anything about Grobbam and about the books that Grobham had seemingly 'half-inched' ... so Sam will go and have a chat with 'Stinky' Stevens.

Is that OK? Feeling a bit out of my depth atm.